• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sheltonious

Major
13 Badges
Apr 18, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
gladi1F.jpg

EU Rome - Vae Victus - Version 2.1

Punic Wars:
Welcome everyone to the Punic Wars Campaign. This Campaign will take place at the start of the Second Punic War. I would like to invite any newcomers to join our illustrious campaign, there is always room for more. The campaign has begun and is taking place every Monday from 5:30pm to 8:30pm GMT-5 (Central Standard Time in the USA). For questions, concerns or complaints then you can post here or email me at sheltoniousmaximus@yahoo.com. Strength and Honor to you all!!

----------------------Country List----------------------

Egypt: Sheltonious
Rome: KenG
Macedonia: Pax25

rome_map_1.jpg

1 January 536 AVC

Last edited:
Time Zone

Isn't 5:30 GMT -5, 4:30 GMT -6 (which I'm at)? That's too early. I need to at least start at 5:30 CST to accomodate for work.

Isn't 5:30 GMT -5, 4:30 GMT -6 (which I'm at)? That's too early. I need to at least start at 5:30 CST to accomodate for work.

GMT-5 is Central Standard Time, until the Fall when time changes again. Then we go back to GMT-6 i believe.

Hey are you guys up for Monday night or what???

Monday Night is Good

Monday nights are fine with me. If the start time is 5:30 central (gmt-5 or 6), then that would be 6:30 eastern (gmt-4 or 5) for me, that would be great. I can be home from work without any problem.

Ready to Go

I'm ready to go Monday at 5:30 p.m. Central Time. Which according to my computer is GMT - 6.

Hey can we use Xfire as the chat system instead of yahoo? It takes up less memory to run it simulataneously with a game than yahoo. Plus, you can do in game chat, take screen shots, etc.

I'm ready to go Monday at 5:30 p.m. Central Time. Which according to my computer is GMT - 6.

Hey can we use Xfire as the chat system instead of yahoo? It takes up less memory to run it simulataneously with a game than yahoo. Plus, you can do in game chat, take screen shots, etc.

Well I just so happen to already have Xfire installed. I don't mind. Looks like we're all set for Monday at 5:30 Central Standard Time (CST). And by the way, my computer says GMT-5 and I'm on CST.

Well I just so happen to already have Xfire installed. I don't mind. Looks like we're all set for Monday at 5:30 Central Standard Time (CST). And by the way, my computer says GMT-5 and I'm on CST.

Cool. Add me as a friend.

That's weird about the time zones. They are probably both right, depending on whether you take the actual time in GMT and subtrack 5 hours, but I don't think the fact the CST is six time zones away ever changes.

Cool. Add me as a friend.

That's weird about the time zones. They are probably both right, depending on whether you take the actual time in GMT and subtrack 5 hours, but I don't think the fact the CST is six time zones away ever changes.

X-Fire wont connect to the server to update. Not sure how to make it work. Until I can figure it out I will be on Yahoo Messenger.

Last edited:
Okay. Xfire just happened to be doing an update right now. I had trouble signing in as well, but am on now. I will join you in your game now.

1st Session of the Punic Wars Campaign

rome_map_2-1.jpg

28 March 549

Above is our map at the completion of our 1st session of the campaign. There are still plenty of slots open for people to jump in. I will try and make Monday our official night, more to follow on that. Thanks Pax and Ken for showing up and participating. Feel free to post about our first session guys.

Go Egypt!

Out Next Monday

Sorry, but I can't make it next Monday, August 3rd. I have tickets for Washington's local tennis tournament, the Legg Mason, and hope to see Roddick or some of the other tennis greats.

But I could play any other day that week.

Sorry, but I can't make it next Monday, August 3rd. I have tickets for Washington's local tennis tournament, the Legg Mason, and hope to see Roddick or some of the other tennis greats.

But I could play any other day that week.

We'll see what my schedule is, I am expecting to be available on Mondays from now on.

Also, tell me how your first Punic War with Carthage went down. Give me all the juicy details.

Last edited:
Mondays

I have now officially made Monday our campaign day. Ken do you want us to continue the campaign this coming monday? If you are available next week when both Pax and I are then maybe we could do that but the odds are against it. Monday is the only day I know for sure I will have off during the week.

Campaign Night: Monday

Monday is the best weeknight for me. But I can't play this Monday, August 3rd, since Roddick and Venus need me to cheer them on to victory in our local tennis tournament. After that, the calendar is open.

If you and Pax want to continue the campaign this Monday, I suppose Rome will do ok on auto-pilot for a decade or so. I had been planning to take it easy for the first few years, suppress the rebs, smear the populists, get war weariness down, and then maybe grab Syracuse. And after that: Punic III.

But if you could hold off till the next week, or maybe find a one-time make up date later in the week, that would be even better.

Rome: Second Punic War 536 -- 549 AVC

The Second Punic war began in 536 AVC when the Carthaginians broke their treaty with Rome by sacking the city of Saguntum and moving their forces north of the Elbro river. The causes of the war, however, lay buried in the hearts of men and the engines of destiny, which are beyond the scope of this short history, which merely strives to provide the reader with an account of how Rome fought the war.

At the outset, the Romans decided to concentrate on obtaining naval superiority. Their strategy was to:
* place their top commander in charge of their fleet;
* put their entire treasury into building ships;
* defeat the Carthaginian fleet in a decisive battle once they had obtained numerical superiority;
* take the island of Balaeres so that it could support the fleet in the Western Mediterranean;
* blockade the pillars of Hercules so that the Carthage could not transfer troops between Africa and Spain;
* then invade whichever theater Carthage was least able to defend.

In the early stages of the war, all went according to plan. The Romans placed Gaius Catulus in command of their first fleet and commenced a prodigious ship building campaign, producing triremes at a rate of 10 per year. They divided their army into two large legions, placing one in Gallia Cisaplinia to defend against an overland invasion from Spain, and the other in the toe of the Italian peninsula to defend against any invasions from
Africa and, eventually, to serve as an expeditionary force once the seas where under control.

The Roman fleet engaged the Carthaginian fleet in the seas just off Rome when it held a 12 to 10 advantage in ships and an even larger
advantage in leadership. Despite these advantages, the fight was a see-saw affair, and one that the Romans came dangerously close to losing. But once the Carthigian fleet fled for their home port, they were never a
threat to the Romans again. From then on, Carthage avoided large-scale naval encounters and contented itself with sending small blockading parties to harasses Rome's coast. Rome kept its large fleet intact and active
in the waters off Carthage so that it could intercept Carthage's newly built ships as they attempted the passage from Spain and West Africa to Carthage. Simultaneously, Rome continued its ship building campaign and eventually deployed a second fleet to counter Carthage's blockaders and then to impose a blockade on Carthage itself.

To the Roman's surprise, the expected invasion from Spain did not occur. Convincing themselves that Carthage did not have substantial troops in Spain, or that they had become lost in their trek through Gaul, Rome sent
a small expeditionary force to liberate Saguntum and thereby deny Carthage one of their ship-building provinces. However, soon after they arrived, a large Carthaginian army appeared from the interior of Spain, and so the Romans withdrew.

While Rome was building its navies and consolidating its control of the seas, Carthage managed to land a small force in Sardina and to conquer both it and Corsica. These, however, were temporary gains and were soon swept away once Rome decided to go on the offensive. In short order, Rome took back Sardina and Corsica, suppressed a revolt in Malta, and invaded Balaeres.

Up to this point, the Roman's plan had unfolded as they had hoped. But war weariness had begun to sap the morale of the people, causing unrest (perhaps fanned by unkind foreign powers) to spread throughout the land. Furthermore, the senate had taken a Populist turn, and, worse yet, the Roman leader himself had grown weary of body and mind and could no longer make sound judgements. Therefore, in an attempt to bring the war to a quick conclusion, Rome directly invaded Carthage. Initially,
the Rome won all of their battles against the Carthiginian armies, which, unaccountably, were led by commanders so unskilled that assassinating them would have been counter-productive. Repeatedly defeating these week foes, Rome gained control of the Carthage itself and the rich provinces around it. These gains were not without a high cost and Rome was forced to rotate a number of units out of theater so that they could regain their strength. During once such rotation, Hannibal arrived at the head of a large force and completely annihilated one of the Roman armies.

This convinced the senate to end the war, taking Balearues, to provide a base for an invasion of Spain, should a Third Punic War break out; Thaspus, to decrease Carthage's manpower pool; and the eastern provinces of Leptis Magna and Corniclarum, for no good reason whatsoever.

And so end's our account, but not our history.

The Fall of Carthage

Good job Ken on defeating the Carthaginians. Once the seas are secured its all downhill from there. And at the end of our last session Carthage had few troops and absolutley none in Spain. I suspect the next Punic War will be alot easier for you.

Not much to tell about Egypt's war with the Seleucids. Once their armies were defeated the armies of Egypt went on a massive land grab campaign. It took a while and cost me all my manpower but I had some nice gains. When we ended our session my manpower was at 40k out of a 100k max. Once I get my manpower maxed I will begin consolidating the east.

I noticed Pontus had recently been at war with Macedonia, I fugure I can deal with them and give Pax one less nation to worry about.

I am trying not to grab too much land too fast because I want to keep my Citizen ratio up. If you expand too fast and grab territories that are not your nationality then your research will come to a screaching halt. Its a fine line, inbetween expansion and remaining competitive in the tech race.

On the other hand it is still possible to remain competitive without current techs by simply having hordes of troops and manpower. But I would really like to research some of those high end techs, since I have never had a game last long enough to reach them. I want to build roads dammit, lol.