• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tomorrow the war continues

Just one day away from our 4th session of the campaign. Would anyone like to give us a sneak peak of what to expect tomorrow night? I predict Egypt will press their rights towards a two provice minor called Iberia. Anyone esle want to make some predictions?

Rome: Universitas Visum 475 AVC

Rome: Roman engineers will build a road system to connect the western most province with the eastern most.

Macedonia and the Greek World: Continued instability and violence will attract the attention of outside powers.

Egypt: Will beat its arms into plowshares and devote its entire energies to improving the lot of its subjects (once it rules the entire world).

Dog-Headed Barbarians: Will continue to howl on the fringes of civilization, devouring any state that does not guard against them.

4th Session Complete

rome_map_5.jpg

2 August 591 AVC

----------------------Country List----------------------

Egypt: Sheltonious
Rome: KenG
Macedonia: Pax25
Pontus: Haramir
Roxoloni: Hotsax

Thanks everyone for showing up tonight. We had a very busy session. Lots of interesting developments. The most shocking was Macedonia's devastating civil war. Good game everyone, I look forward to your AAR's.

AAR - The Rise and Fall of Macedonia

I'm going to take a pass on writing a fancy story and get straight to the point.

In session #4 I knew I was going to get attacked by Pontus as soon as our truce was over. True, I did declare war on him at end of last session, but like I stated before, I had every right to considering he attacked Sparta, then finished off two more countries after I had sued them for peace. All of these provinces being on the Greek mainland. Luckily, I had a strategy for my defense. I would build up a massive mercanary force and add them to my remaining armies. I did this with ease and soon had such a big army and so much time to spare that I began replacing mercenaries with normal troops. When I removed the mercanaries from my main army (the support limit in the province I wanted to hold was 31, so I couldn't go above this), I put the extra mercanaries into reserve, with the plan on moving them into the fight should my main army get attacked.

My plan worked perfectly. I had a stack of 31,000 men sitting on a province that was receiving stone from egypt, with more mecenaries in reserve, and I simply waited for Pontus to slowly walk through my territory. I knew he would suffer supply penalties, so I was positive I had a chance. Finally the big confrontation came, we butted heads, but some bug in the game caused our armies of 40K+ each to fight over and over with neither side taking more than a couple casualties. Finally the game crashed. On the rehost, my armies started in a retreated position and gave up the province. However, I only lost a few men (if any). I quickly traded again with Egypt for stone and set out to defend the province of Macedonia. This time when Pontus attacked I easily won the battle. Then I took the battle to him and chased him into the adjacent province and won another victory. Rather than press my advantage, Egypt had declared war on Pontus and was walking through his provinces unmolested, so I decided only to make a few more suicide attacks just to weaken his army since I knew there was no way he could defeat both Egypt and I. Pontus offered a fair peace settlement, I gave up a province in Asia Minor, I thought this was fair because I respected his attempt at revenge and knew we'd both be better off getting along in the future. But most importantly, a civil war had simultaneously errupted when Pontus first declared war on me!

Now this civil war was nothing at the beginning, but once Pontus and I declared peace, suddenly after a rehost I got the "I am Spartacus" event a bunch a times and a rebel army of some 70K+ men began attacking me. I was weak from battle and needed help defeating them. Rome was kind enough to help defeat the barbarians, in return for a province and my promise to be the junior partner in a alliance. Just when Rome declared peace with the rebels and allowed me to start taking back more of my land, the sneaky Pontus declared war on my rebels clearly to once again mop up after someone else had done the dirty work. This was the last straw. He went staight to trying to get territories and avoided taking the rebels head on. I was able to stop him from getting a few provinces, simply by moving on a province after he began assaulting it (somehow, this thankfully returns the province to its rightful owner), but I made a small error and allowed him to take Thracia. As soon as he got Thracia, Pontus quickly made peace with the rebels and left me to fight them. Frustrated by this, rather than taking my time, I dove at the rebels and lost my entire army. In frustration, I declared war on Pontus (after ending paying tribute to Egypt, who had demanded it), in hopes of at least preventing him from moving more troops to the mainland cause I had a bigger navy. I forgot one small thing though. I was trying to save money so I wasn't financially supporting my big navy. Needless to say they quickly lost in battle. And that was the end of Macdeonia as we know it. Divided between the Rebels and Pontus, who had a free walk into the Macedonian heartland.

Overall, a fun game and I can't blame Pontus for taking advantage of my circumstances (any taunting of him was just in the spirit of the game). I attacked him when he went AI, but I did so only to regain what I felt was mine. This didn't really backfire though because I was able to stop his attack. My ultimate undoing was the massive civil war. Moreover, I felt it was silly that Pontus and I were the weakest two countries and we were fighting one another for total control of the Greek world while we should have been working together. In the end, I figured he mine as well have it all.

Egypt: 575-591 AVC

"The End of Macedonia"
Prior to the year 575 the Egyptian Pharaoh and the Macedonian King had been discussing the Pontus upstart. Egypt had agreed to support Macedonia in the coming war. The war came shortly after the beginning of the 4th session. Many messages were sent to the macedonian king to evalute their situation but most of them went unanswered.

Egypt was anxiously awaiting the call to arms. But due to poor communication the Egyptian Pharaoh was not sure when to enter the war. Egypt had originally agreed to let Macedonia fight the war on its own and only intervene if macedonia was in trouble. And after Macedonia lost a few provinces Egypt sent a warning to Pontus and made demands. These demands fell on deaf ears so Egypt had to use force and proceeded to occupy all of Pontus's home provinces. After which Pontus agreed to Egypt's terms.

All except ceding their southern provinces to Macedonia. But Mac had already accepted a white peace with Pontus so there was nothing Egypt could do. This frustrated the Egyptian Pharaoh greatly, he felt as though his nation's warriors had bled for nothing. Since the armies of Egypt had occupied all of Pontus's provinces in Asia Minor, the good Pharaoh figured he should get something out of the deal and only asked for Cappadocia and a small tribute. A small price to pay, but then Egypt was not looking to assimilate Pontus anyway.

A civil war had broken out in Macedonia during their war with Pontus and grew to unimaginable proportions. Both Rome and Pontus took advantage and aquired some provinces of opportunity. And then to make matters worse the hot tempered Macedonian King declared war on Pontus, thus sealing his country's fate. Egypt could only watch in disgust as the country they once supported was collapsing in on itself.

"The Future of Greece"
After Egypt brought the first greek war of the session to a close the Egyptian Pharaoh converted his nation to an Imperium. Thus changing his title to Emperor. After the ceremonies were complete the new Emperor declared that Egypt's success only reaffirms his belief that only the strong are fit to rule. He vowed to never again let brave Egyptian soldiers die in defense of weaker nations. "Only the strong will survive and thus only the strong will be given counsel" the Emperor proclaimed.

After evaluating the situation in greece with his generals the Emperor concluded that macedonia as the world knew it was finished. Soon the rebels will take over and a new government will come to power. But how stable will that new government be? And will it be picked apart by Rome and Pontus?

Some of the Egyptian generals urged the Emperor to capitalize on the greeks instability as so many other nations had, but the Emperor said he had no interest in the greek mainland. But he did agree with his generals that both Crete and Rhodes would hold strategic value.

Last edited:
You're all making me regret not joining this one. Seems like a fun game so far!:D Once this is over though, I had an idea (inspired by some folks on the Magna Mundi forum). Would anyone be interested in a succession game?

If you don't know what that is, it's where we pick one nation to play (preferably a monarchy) and determine an order of play. The first person plays the game normally until his ruler dies, at which point he immediately saves the game and sends it to the next person, then writes and AAR on his reign. It continues like this, cycling through the list however many times is required, until the game ends or the nation is destroyed by a terrible ruler.:p

Something else I thought of was that when a civil war starts, the player saves the game as usual, then contacts the next person on the list. Those two then play a one-on-one multiplayer game as the two sides in the civil war.

You're all making me regret not joining this one. Seems like a fun game so far!:D Once this is over though, I had an idea (inspired by some folks on the Magna Mundi forum). Would anyone be interested in a succession game?

If you don't know what that is, it's where we pick one nation to play (preferably a monarchy) and determine an order of play. The first person plays the game normally until his ruler dies, at which point he immediately saves the game and sends it to the next person, then writes and AAR on his reign. It continues like this, cycling through the list however many times is required, until the game ends or the nation is destroyed by a terrible ruler.:p

Something else I thought of was that when a civil war starts, the player saves the game as usual, then contacts the next person on the list. Those two then play a one-on-one multiplayer game as the two sides in the civil war.

Interesting idea. But it sounds like it would be the same as playing a singleplayer game. I pretty much only play Rome during our online campaigns. I've all but abandoned the singleplayer game, mainly because the AI is retarded and offers me no challenge.

I really enjoy the politics of the game when you have several human players vying for power. It makes the game so much more interesting.

There is always room for more if you want to join Erthain.

I'll definitely join the next campaign, but as for this one I think I'll stay out. There's no one left for me to play anyway, unless I wanted to bring Carthage or the Seleucids out of the ashes. :D

I'll definitely join the next campaign, but as for this one I think I'll stay out. There's no one left for me to play anyway, unless I wanted to bring Carthage or the Seleucids out of the ashes. :D

You could bring a spark to Carthage, make things interesting in the Western Mediteranean.

Last edited:
Tomorrow the War Continues

Any bold predictions for this week's session?

I'll go ahead and give you guys a sneak peak at Egypt's plans. I do not anticipate any expansion for Egypt in our 5th session. I will focus mainly on increasing my citizen ratio. If I get to a point where I think the ratio is acceptable and I want to aquire more lands then I can always munch on the Seleucids. I've got them stored away, so I can continue expansion without having to butt heads with the other nations of the ancient world.

Rome: AVC 591

The civil war in Macedonia is a terrible thing. Rome will do what it can to bring peace and stability to the Greek mainland.

The dream of connecting the eastern and western provinces may yet come true if only some of our citizens will stop using their shirts as napkins, eating with their fingers, and pick up the utensils of civilization. And if one minor nation agrees to join the empire. To help them along, the senate will go on a building campaign, of one sort or another.

With no nations left weaker than them that they know of, Rhoxolani will probably expand into the lands of Anarchy, while simultaneously trying to find protection.

Rome Rudderless: KenG out this evening

Due to an illness in the family, I'll miss tonight's session. Nothing serious, but it needs attention.

Please continue the session without me. If a new player or anyone else wants to be Rome for a day, feel free.

I might be able to join in later in the evening. If so, I'll drop you a message in Yahoo.

5th Session Complete

rome_map_6.jpg

10 July 606

----------------------Country List----------------------

Egypt: Sheltonious
Rome: AI
Macedonia: Pax25
Pontus: Haramir
Roxoloni: Hotsax

Thanks everyone for showing up, sorry you couldnt make it Ken. Noone messed with your country so your fine. But the turmoil in Greece only intensified in our 5th session of the Punic Wars campaign. After tonight I thought about changing the name to Greek Wars cause thats where all the action is. Good game tonight, very interesting developments. I look forward to your AAR's, as I'm sure does Ken...anxiously waiting to find out what he missed.

Rhoxolani:591-606 AVC

-The Unification of the North-East (A brief summary of ???-591 AVC)-
The Tribes of the chief were growing restless. The weaker lands of both Colchis and the Bosporan Kingdom were just sitting in wait, with absolutely no troops. Soon we would have to attack. A messenger from Pontus sent us an offer that they would break truce on the Bosporan Kingdom for our protection in the Greek Wars. We refused, but were inclined to remain neutral, so that we may expand through the Bosporan Kingdom. Thus, we blocked off communications with Macedonia, knowing that the Egyptians could keep the balance if things grew out of hand. We then merely walked through the other two nations unopposed, and took their lands. However, Egypt took the province we had been working towards, Phasis. With our weak military and no true alliances, we decided that it was just merely, not worth our time.

-The Wise Foreigner, and the New Republic of Rhoxolani-
All of our chiefs were now of old age, and new ideas were being spread through our nation by a man now to be known as "The Wise Foreigner". He brought promises of Prosperity, and Military strength if we would only give him the title of Chief. We laughed at the idea of gaining Military Strength, our men were the finest fighters in the known world. However, the promises of wealth and riches took us in. We allowed the Wise Foreigner to become chief, after Chief Abeacid died. And thus was founded the First Republic of Rhoxolani. The ideas of a Senate intrigued us, you could say...

-The Greek Wars-
The promises of the foreigner came true, as we were now becoming richer than ever before. Taxes were advanced, and we learned the ways of Irrigation and Mining. Our people were becoming more and more civilized, and our relations with the outside world increased. Our revenues were doubled. However, the Senate thirsted for war. When the Macedonian diplomat showed up on our doormat, asking for help in the war against Pontus, we agreed to restore balance and regain what was rightfully Macedonia's. But, our Senate's utter refusal at an alliance was a hindrance. Our senate did, however, agree that Pontus would make a fine part of our nation, and we gained military access into Macedonia. Our rulers plotted against the Senate's greed, and we knew that we would gain no land out of this.

We moved in through the back door, ignoring Egypt's refusal, and attacked Trapezus with a weak force, in hopes that it would cause his men to retreat back to the main land. This however, did not work, and we moved our main troops into Macedonian lands for their protection.

At that point, Macedonia ended the war with Pontus! With our military force not strong enough to protect our country on it's own, we thought we were doomed. We moved our troops back to the mainland, and tried to get our secondary army to reach Rhoxolani to merge with our main force. However, their generals were not nearly as intelligent in the ways of war as ours were. We easily destroyed their armies, but they had us by sea and numbers. We set off boarding attacks to try to move the ships out of our land, but to no avail. We managed to destroy about 10 ships before we had to give up on sea, which gave them a huge advantage, since all six of our main provinces were connected by sea, letting them easily out maneuver us. We knew that they're men could not be infinite, and with the incredible attrition they were probably suffering from constant sea travel, we hoped their reserve would run out soon.

The Macedonians sent yet another diplomat, and we utterly refused it at first until they told us that their imminent Civil War had made them stop the war. We knew that we would have been much worse off if they had stayed in the war, so we forgave their insolence, our senate scoffing at the poor loyalty of the people. The senate refused any trading with other nations, which weakened us significantly. We held our own until the Macedonians were back together again. Our senate refused any, and all, offers of peace. Not even a white peace would they accept, even though our nation was being trampled and our people growing angry. Rebellions rose up, though weak, and easily countered. We just hope this war can end soon, with the Macedonians lands reassembled and their army even bigger than before.

Egypt: 591-606 AVC

"Greek Wars"

Our session began with the immediate forging of the alliance between the Sarmatians and the Egyptian Empire. Shorlty after Egypt allied with the nation of Pontus as well. Then an all too predictable war broke out between Pontus and Macedonia. Even an ancient blind man could have seen that coming.

As Egypt yawned at another greek war it went about tending to its own business. Building provincial improvements here, building a ship there. Then the empire became embroiled in a war with the seleucids started by an incompetent general, but we'll get into that later. During this turmoil the Emperor recieved a strange request for Military access from his new allies, the Rhoxoloni. The Emperor wandered why the Sarmatians would need military access through his empire so he sent a message with his inquiry. Rhoxoloni did not respond so the Emperor denied the request. Much to the Emperor's surprise the barbarians completely disregarded the Empire's denial and proceeded to move through Egyptian lands anyway.

They were headed for Pontus to assist thier allies in Macedonia. With so many intertwining alliances it was hard to sort out the right and the wrong. Egypt remained nuetral but was not pleased at the insult the Sarmatians gave the Empire by going against the Emperor's wishes.

"The Resurgent Seleucids"

The Emperor, who does not take such insults lightly, was too busy with the Seleucids to address the incident. A general who was close to the Emperor had been begging for a war with Seleucia so that he might win glory and riches for the empire. The emperor left the campaign up to the general, assuming the Seluecids were no longer able to put up a fight.

But he could not have been more wrong. Much to the empire's surprise the Seleucids had put aside their differences and come together as one people. They had made great advances in technology, and built mighty walls in most of their provinces. They also had kept their main army deep in their territory, hidden from egyptian eyes. The general in charge of the campaign had assured that the campaign would take no more than 6 months and be a complete success with minimal lossess.

But after the first few months of the campaign it became apparent that the Seleucids were not going to simply roll over. And once the hidden army showed up the general had to call upon the Emperor for support. As soon as the Emperor got involved the tide began to turn but not until the Empire suffered significant losses to troop strength and manpower.

The incompetent general was quickly removed from his position and sent to the darkest Egyptian dungeon for his incompetence. And it was in the middle of this turmoil that the Emperor recieved word of the aforementioned Sarmatian insult. Obviously the Emperor was too busy to respond in any fashion, but assured his generals that this issue would be dealt with at a later date.

"As The World Turns"

So it goes without saying that the short lived alliance between the Rhoxoloni and Egypt will soon be over, but what happens after that is anyone's guess. The big question is what the Romans will do when their Consul returns from his vacation. He will return to a Roman nation with full manpower and a strong military. Will he press his rights in Carthaginian lands? Or will he continue to capitalize on Macedonia's instability? The world is waiting.

Last edited: