• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting action - those battles for Wellington are getting pretty huge and hopefully starting to drain Japanese manpower a bit. Losing Pt Moresby and particularly the AST 1st Div was a blow (nb it would have been the 6th Div in OTL, as they numbered the 2nd AIF regular divs from 6 onwards, reserving 1-5 for the formations that had made up the 1st AIF in WW2 - we no no longer do that, BTW). Good to see you took it back so quickly.

The Kokoda Track has a particularly strong resonance in Australia today. It and Gallipoli are probably the two biggest. One of the cadet companies at our RMC was named after it. So too Kapyong (a Korean War battle), Long Tan (Vietnam - another important one in the national psyche), Alamein (where Australian troops played a very prominent part), Gallipoli of course and also Romani (the latter also WW1 in Palestine, but I reckon it should have been one of the great Western Front battles).

Thanks for the historical vignettes - I learned something about the Kiwis there. We definitely blame the British for Greece and Crete - though our commander there at the time - Blamey - also gets, well, a bit of the blame as well for going along with it.

The Japanese are obviously putting a high priority on New Zealand if they're dispatching Yamashita there -- he was probably one of the best (if not the best) field commander the IJA had in the entire war. It's almost a badge of pride, really -- though, admittedly, I doubt the Kiwis will find that much comfort should he actually win ;)

Also, glad to see a fascinating glimpse into what our heroes were up to in the real World War as well :)

Nice glimpse into some of the real stuff there @markkur

One wonders if New Zealand might end up being the Japanese equivalent of Napoleon's Peninsular War - an constant irritating drain on resources which, not war-winning in itself, prevented those resources being used in potentially war-winning ways elsewhere.

The Kokoda Track has a particularly strong resonance in Australia today. It and Gallipoli are probably the two biggest. One of the cadet companies at our RMC was named after it.
Glad to hear that. I'm no war-hawk but the modern disrespect towards the men & women that saved so many nations, irritates me to no end.

Thanks for the historical vignettes - I learned something about the Kiwis there. We definitely blame the British for Greece and Crete - though our commander there at the time - Blamey - also gets, well, a bit of the blame as well for going along with it.
Blamey I think was influenced by an American General that I cannot stomach and I bet you know which one.:)

The Japanese are obviously putting a high priority on New Zealand if they're dispatching Yamashita there -- he was probably one of the best (if not the best) field commander the IJA had in the entire war. It's almost a badge of pride, really -- though, admittedly, I doubt the Kiwis will find that much comfort should he actually win ;)
Yamashita I know little about but he did have a fierce look about him when he met with the British to surrender Singapore. They met in a Ford-auto-factory...of all places.

Also, glad to see a fascinating glimpse into what our heroes were up to in the real World War as well :)
I wish I could do them justice. A few of the in-game generals ended up in captivity of one of those stories is a strange tale, where two men escape an Italian camp and make it to Switzerland; part ways and one of them commits suicide then? Yeah right. Fight in battle, escape prison and decide...? Don't think so.

Nice glimpse into some of the real stuff there @markkur
Thanks. Playing a small nation, I would have liked to go-deep...there's a story there but I cannot manage it.

One wonders if New Zealand might end up being the Japanese equivalent of Napoleon's Peninsular War - an constant irritating drain on resources which, not war-winning in itself, prevented those resources being used in potentially war-winning ways elsewhere.
We are certainly making an impact. The Americans are in the Philippines and now Japan is facing the Soviets. The Empire is really getting stretched about now.:)

The fight for Wellington continues, to little effect, save for draining Japanese manpower.

Very interesting about the ministers, and also about the Kokoda Track, I didn't know about that, on the other side of the world, we always hear about Guadalcanal, but this is just as important, both for Australian Morale, and for the war itself, the loss of Pt. Moresby would have been problematic to say the least...

A mixed game update and some fine Antipodean history.

It is a shame that the US AI produces so many garrisons and then uses them so poorly. If the US had put a few GAR divisions on every port in the Pacific it captured (and it's own ports), this would have been a much shorter Pacific War!

Very interesting about the ministers, and also about the Kokoda Track, I didn't know about that, on the other side of the world, we always hear about Guadalcanal, but this is just as important, both for Australian Morale, and for the war itself, the loss of Pt. Moresby would have been problematic to say the least...
Agree 100%. What is generally not easy for folks like me to fathom is how all those fights were heavily interdependent.
imvho, had WE lost either port things would have become very difficult going forward. The more I look, the more I see the sacrifice and teamwork of a lot of brave folks, including the New Guinea natives. Heroes all.

A mixed game update and some fine Antipodean history.

It is a shame that the US AI produces so many garrisons and then uses them so poorly. If the US had put a few GAR divisions on every port in the Pacific it captured (and it's own ports), this would have been a much shorter Pacific War!
Well, you'll certainly understand the necessity of my next move...even if not...the timing.:)

Chapter 50
“Reckless Assault”
AJCO 22 September – 3 November, 1941

To: Allied Joint Command – Oceania
AAR: Assault on Christchurch
Report Date: 4 November, 1941
Wellington HQ – General markkur (C&C-Allied Forces)

Order of Battle
Auckland HQ – Field-Marshall Freyberg (NZ 2nd Army Group)

Invasion Ground Forces

From AEF NZL Corps
10th Marine-Division (Wyman)
3rd Marine-Division (Wedemeyer)

From 2nd AEF NZL Corps
US 40th Infantry-Division (Donovan)
US 41st Infantry-Division (Casey)

From 2nd NZL Infantry Corps
6th NZ Infantry-Division (Lt. General Tuker)

Allied Navy

HMS Valiant TF
– (Rear-Admiral Parry – RN)

RN Battleship ‘HMS Valiant’
RN Heavy-Cruiser ‘HMS Dorsetshire’
RN 58th Destroyer Flotilla
RN 57th Destroyer Flotilla
RN DD-squadron ‘Canterbury Bight’

USS Lexington TF – (Rear-Admiral Fletcher – USN)
USN Fleet Carrier ‘USS Lexington’
USN Light-Cruiser ‘USS Marblehead’
USN 1st Destroyer-Division
USN 29th Destroyer-Division

2nd NZ LCT Fleet – Captain Stratton
1st LC-flotilla
3rd LC-flotilla
2nd LC-flotilla

Tasman Troop Transport – Admiral Drummond (NZ)
NZ 1st Transport Flotilla
NZ 2nd Transport Flotilla
NZ 3rd Transport Flotilla
NZ 4th Transport Flotilla
NZ 5th Transport Flotilla

RN Destroyer-Squadron – Rear-Admiral Studholme-Brownrig
21st Destroyer Flotilla
1st Destroyer Flotilla
40th Destroyer Flotilla
55th Destroyer Flotilla

Allied Air-Force

USAF Wellington Interceptor-Group – Commander Walton

7th USAF Fighter-wing
9th USAF Fighter-wing
64th USAF Fighter-wing

1e Licht Bombardeer Groep – Commander Laaijrmakers (Dutch-AF)

USAF 1st CAG-wing from USS Lexington (Andrews)
USAF 2nd CAG-wing from USS Lexington (Arnold)

Enemy Forces

Ground forces defending Christchurch (General Komoda)
9th Rikusentai (Marines)

IJN Warships
CV Soryu
CVL Zuiho
CVL Chitosi
CVL Chiyoda
Heavy-Cruiser ‘Tone’
Heavy-Cruiser ‘Chukuma’
Light-cruiser ‘Natori’
Light-cruiser ‘Tatsuta’
Destroyer-flotilla ‘18’
Destroyer-flotilla ‘12’

IJN Carrier-Planes
19th Cag-wing
20th Cag-wing
14th Cag-wing
11th Cag-wing
15th Cag-wing

After a string of victories where the enemy suffered large losses, vainly trying to take Wellington; our effective blockade of IJN supply-ships trying to reach Christchurch and our sinking of numerous vessels over the last few months and finally the mounting death-toll from our continual bombing-runs, on 22 September I began preparations to retake Christchurch from the Japanese army on South-Island.

I well knew that this operation could be a risk and victory far from certain but with the American’s nearly taking all of the Philippines by this time and guessing that Tokyo-command would have a divided strategy regarding their ground-forces attacking Soviet-Vladivostok & the IJN’s constant struggle with the Yanks for control of so many Pacific bases and shipping lanes, I decided to gamble.

With reports from Dutch-pilots that the enemy-units in Blenheim were losing organization and troop moral was falling and those same units now retreating from the coast and fleeing out of the reach of our bombers, I decided we needed to take the chance to remove that large army on South-Island. If we succeeded, we could greatly hasten reclaiming our region and use the allied-power under our command, to quickly and strategically play a new role in turning back the Axis in the entire Pacific theater.

I did not have the free troops to hold the gains we have already made, while guaranteeing the defense of Wellington and also be able to quickly relieve the Marines holding Noumea to spearhead the assault on Christchurch. Since Britain is fighting in the Med and East-Africa, the new troops needed to come from the US.

After discussions with the Americans, we found they had three infantry divisions consisting of 4 regiments. They granted the 3 units and I reorganized them into 4 divisions with 3 regiments each, then created the 2nd AEF corps to head to NZ. With Supply an issue at times and convoys uncertain, I preferred 9.000 vs 12,000 man divisions and knew US command would also be better-off later.

22 September – Admiral Drummond’s Tasman Transport sailed from Sydney.
– 4th NZ Infantry-Division (INFx2+AA+ART) & 1st Mounted protects Auckland.
– Valiant TF ordered to Cape Matatula to see if enemy still holds US-Samoa.
– 2 US Troop Transport Planes now parked on Lae airfield?
– US Paratroopers under French command now defend Tahiti.
– We requested long ago that Britain reclaim Nauru but no action yet.
23 September – We win a skirmish in Wellington-6 men killed vs 94 enemy dead.
25 September – We get 4LL. Badly needed DDs will not deploy till June next year.
– HMS Valiant found US-Samoa still well-defended.
27 September – Valiant Squadron raiding off Christchurch along with our RN-DDs.

01 October – We sink another supply-vessel.
– Tasman Transport arrived in port at LA. Drummond ordered to re-base in Wellington but routed to Noumea first.
04 October – TAC runs in recent weeks cost the enemy 1,700 troops.
09 October – Adm. Drummond arrived in Noumea and left two INF-Divisions to hold the port, and then took the other two infantry to Gisborne. Marines moved to Wellington
10 October – We sank four enemy supply-convoys this day!

10 11 12.jpg

12:00hrs. 11 October – The Battle of Christchurch
If the defenders were still in supply, I knew the marines would have a fight on their hand and ordered the Lexington CAGs to hit the enemy troops on the ground; however, reports came back that after four days of action, fewer than 300 perished on the ground. After we met stubborn resistance, causing too much time to pass and our being blind to enemy-warships approaching the battle-zone, I canceled the order and returned the planes to CAG-duty. For some reason, our Destroyers sinking yet another supply-convoy actually caused my fears of a surprise to grow.

Late at night on the 21st, it became clear that one assault would not take the port; I ordered Drummond to bring the 40th & 41st US Infantry-Divisions to Canterbury-Bight, hoping my fears were not founded. However, I then received news that enemy CAGs were striking the port at Auckland. Where did they come from?!

Since the Marines yet fought on the beaches, I left our warships right where they were and hoped we would take the port. Back at Auckland, half the port was soon in flames and the enemy planes also heavily damaged 2nd LC causing me to order that flotilla to Sydney to save the vessels but now Captain Stratton had no reserve.

At this time I pulled our RN DD-squadron off raiding and sent them to East Cape to scout what enemy ships were north of Gisborne. At the same time I sent Lexington to Taranaki Bight desiring to see if our CAGs would spot the enemy-fleet.

07:00 hrs. 25 October – We still could not see the enemy fleet and soon CAGs began striking our Destroyers scouting East Cape. After suffering extensive damage on the first strike, I ordered Studholme-Brownrigg to sail south to Wellington and the safety of our fighter cover and to re-base at Sydney.

With the Japanese-Carriers moving south along the eastern-coast of the north-island, I ordered Rear-Admiral Fletcher to bring the Lexington TF back down to Pegasus Bay to Patrol and give our forces early warning in Canterbury-Bight if the enemy CVs approached. Eight hours later at 15:00 hrs. we lost the 1st Battle of Christchurch. We lost 2,217 and 1,382 defenders were killed.

We had not yet seen the enemy fleet and with the HMS Valiant cleared for action, I ordered the two US Infantry-Divisions forward off Drummond’s transports; the enemy was likely weak & exhausted after that long fight.

10 25 23.jpg

Contact!
10 25 24.jpg

1. Without my Destroyers to screen the invasion I lost my race with time
and the enemy fleet surprised us in Canterbury Bight and we were engaged.
2. I was still confidant the infantry could win this fight.​

10 26 15.jpg

However, now a serious disadvantage came into the heat of battle; as Lexington came to the sea-zone,
the fighters from Wellington would be soon be too distant to engage.​

07:00 hrs. 27 October – Bombs sink NZ 4th Transport Flotilla. Unlike the battle for Admiralty Islands, the oversight of bringing too many transports to Canterbury Bight, prevented our losing another infantry-division to the sea.

While the battle raged IJN heavy-cruisers came into the sea-lanes at some point but from what port or direction we do not know. When the damaged Zuiho was seen in port, I ordered the Dutch TACs to re-base in Wellington and hit the CVL but in the event they were shot to pieces and I had to call them off.

Even though enemy CAGs were finally dis-organized, the Valiant TF also suffered serious damage to several warships.

In the early morning hours of 1 November, we lost the 2nd Battle of Christchurch. US losses 1,106 men; Enemy loss141. Not believing this lone unit had won two battles I sent Tuker’s 6th NZL from leaky LCTs into the port; surely this would win the day and I could quickly secure the port with fresh troops?

However we could not finish the last assault because after I had ordered our heavily damaged fleets to port, only then did two IJN CAs, the Chukuma & Tone appear and they neared 1st LC; to not flee - would have sent Tuker’s men down too. The 3rd Battle of Christchurch was over and I could not do a damned thing about it. 376 kiwis lost to a dozen enemy supermen.

Total losses Allies
3,699 men
USN 1st Destroyer-Division
NZ 4th Transport Flotilla
Damages
3/5ths of the port facilities at Auckland.

Enemy loss
1,543 Marines
Destroyer-flotilla ‘18’
4 Supply-Convoys

11 1.jpg

[Next: What happened around the world while mad-markkur Recklessly Assaulted:)]

A crazy-brave attempt and exciting fight.

Just a question - and I’m literally on the road at the moment, so can’t check a map - but is there any reason you don’t simply ship units into your port in Dunedin and march them north to attack from land? Or is there an infra barrier?

Just a question - and I’m literally on the road at the moment, so can’t check a map - but is there any reason you don’t simply ship units into your port in Dunedin and march them north to attack from land? Or is there an infra barrier?
There is definitely an Infrastructure Barrier there.

That was one hell of an attack, and you got so close... now to lick your wounds and try again...

That was one hell of an attack, and you got so close... now to lick your wounds and try again...
Thanks Agent Skitalec S3! ;):D

At least nothing too disastrous happened. I’ll have to take a closer look at the NZ map next time I’m on - I’ve never fought over that terrain that I can recall.

Well that was a mite annoying.

Opposing from Christchurch there is an unguarded province, if you make a first invasion there with infantry and then coordinate an attack on the harbour with marines coming from the sea you might have an easier time, the risk is of course that the infantry has no supply source until an overland route is open either to the harbor or the north isle.

A crazy-brave attempt and exciting fight.
And it must be said; very unlucky. The only time I saw those CAs was right at the end, thinking the waters were now safe.

There is another gaping wound...I cannot raid convoys for a...? period of time:mad:.

Well that was a mite annoying.
As long as we blend-in; tad, wee-bit, little and terribly for one fat-mite...I am content.:)

Opposing from Christchurch there is an unguarded province, if you make a first invasion there with infantry and then coordinate an attack on the harbour with marines coming from the sea you might have an easier time, the risk is of course that the infantry has no supply source until an overland route is open either to the harbor or the north isle.
The no-go is just south and that enemy HQ had two divisions with it; all far back from Blenheim.

In hindsight, I would not have pulled my fleets and brought back those damaged DDs too. and maybe won then?
Oh well...I lost this time. Now to hope they cannot easily maintain Supply.

A bit of a disappointing setback there.

I don't know much about HOI3 specifically, but I've played a couple of the earlier games, and I know that Marine divisions can be pretty damned tough to dislodge in the best of circumstances. Looks like they had some time to dig in, too, at least if I'm reading the bonuses right.

A bit of a disappointing setback there.

I don't know much about HOI3 specifically, but I've played a couple of the earlier games, and I know that Marine divisions can be pretty damned tough to dislodge in the best of circumstances. Looks like they had some time to dig in, too, at least if I'm reading the bonuses right.
You are correct, they were there a long time and well entrenched.

Another aspect can be seen by comparing the 1st invasion with the 2nd. The Japanese Marines have the best support unit they could have...in the Engineer-unit; the US Marines also had ENG-support in trying to take the port-city, making it a closer match.

Another aspect that I did not mention, even though I intended to, was that during that second engagement, just when we "may" have won...night fell. Now that impacted the defender too but Infantry coming off barges is a long shot to begin with and fighting at night did not help, especially when using untested American generals. Oil well...lady-luck did not favor us at several critical moments but that is war...eh?

I must say I am pleased with the A.I. response and the defeat. It sent enough CAGs to the zone and out of my USAF reach and then sucker-punched be with those ghostly heavy-cruisers for the knock-out.:confused:<marrkur hits the mat>:)

Chapter 51
“Battlefields”
4 November, 1941

1 Italy.jpg

Italy did bring their victorious units in Syria down here to save Mombasa.

2 UK.jpg

Meanwhile, British tanks raced across the sands.

3 Finland.jpg

I doubt this will end well.

4 Japan.jpg

Japan managed to speedily advance, while keeping us off South-Island

5 Barb.jpg

After three months, the German Front has made only minor advances.

6 usa.jpg

The Americans are gaining some ground; let’s hope they sink a lot of convoys.

[Next-up: Time for us to repair ships & planes and try again]

Well, that's not too bad... The Brits are doing well in northern Africa, and the Soviets seem to be making the Axis pay dearly for every m of ground they capture.
East Africa doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, so I'm happy to see the Italians be the ones to waste their manpower there for a change...

The US is doing great in the Philippines, and New Zealand continues to exist as a fighting nation... Onward!