• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A mighty victory indeed

Bloody hell! How did you manage that? 25000 captured? Did you do an encirclement? I didn't spot it

The Japanese are really losing men hand-over-fists in this AAR. How much Manpower do they start off with or/and can support? I assume resources depend on how much territory they have - any way to calculate their Manpower this late in the game?

I believe the title said it best... 'no guts, no glory':D
The use of several layers of small fleets to shield you invasion fleet was masterfully executed, especially considering you were up against Carrier Fleets. The big question no is, when will there be more imperial marines in ANZAC prison camps than in the IJN... how much longer until we reach that tipping point... I'm sure that whomever in IJN high command suggested landing in Melbourne must be committing Seppuku right about now...

Bloody hell! How did you manage that? 25000 captured? Did you do an encirclement? I didn't spot it
Whenever you can invade from the sea and then have troops on the other side of the port in all provinces that border the city, (in this case 2, opposite the m/l direction of our attack) then the enemy has nowhere to retreat but back into transports IF they have them IN the port at that time. And when the ground you fight is your own already this makes it a wee bit easier.<vbg>

These Imperial Marine-Divisions are 10,000 strong when landing. 9.000 MAR + 1.000 ENG. The French defeated the 1st and the US. French & Aussies defeated the 2 newer arrivals. The 25,000 is approx. what number was not killed in the two battles combined.

You didn't see them move anywhere because units (including your own) are taken off the board, when they have no place to retreat; once any unit retreats or halts from fighting, it automatically receives a limitation called attack delay and therefore cannot attack another unit. Had there not been de Gaulle attacking them from one of the possible retreat-paths and Robertson arriving in the only other place to flee...then both enemy units could have tried to survive and taken advantage of any opening; but frankly unless more troops come-in very quickly, they would be toast no matter what. I would just have to track them down.:D

Said much shorter; because of my deployment of our forces, Melbourne became an island and for once the IJN could not provide the game-saving goal.:cool:

The Japanese are really losing men hand-over-fists in this AAR. How much Manpower do they start off with or/and can support? I assume resources depend on how much territory they have - any way to calculate their Manpower this late in the game?
When I played Early Rising Sun as Japan, I discovered Japan can get a healthy amount of MP. It's been awhile but about the place THEY are now...I would guess their MP could be about 1500 - 2000; but after their growing losses in our neck of the wood...I'll take a peek.

As a matter of fact, I took them to war in 39 like I forced that this time around, so the difference will be A.I. versus Human.:)

I believe the title said it best... 'no guts, no glory':D
The use of several layers of small fleets to shield you invasion fleet was masterfully executed, especially considering you were up against Carrier Fleets. The big question no is, when will there be more imperial marines in ANZAC prison camps than in the IJN... how much longer until we reach that tipping point... I'm sure that whomever in IJN high command suggested landing in Melbourne must be committing Seppuku right about now...
The layers did score an assist but they still sailed though me like a hot knife through butter.

I've lost track of how many we have captured but hmm...maybe 4 in Moresby, 2 in Auckland. 1 in Lae, 1 in Hollandia and now 3 in Melbourne...makes for about 11? Close enough for horse-shoes.:) Now to bag South-Island once an for all. I'm quite tired of an enemy-held port so near our capital city.

Melbourne is liberated! :D Losing a few crack divisions of marines will certainly sting for the Japanese.
I'm beginning to wonder...the A.I. must have went for Human Wave.:)

Epic victory. Applies now and not back then perhaps, but the Latte Line has been saved and the restaurant strip in Lygon Streeet will no longer be forced to serve up sashimi at bayonet-point. Huzzah!

That was a bold and complex manoeuvre at sea and on land. Given the Japanese seeming obsession with sending carrier TFs against ANZAC, it’s a bit of a mystery why they’re not losing more islands elsewhere.

I just caught up everything since May (blame work crises for that, getting deployed allaover the country and so on). I must say an epic fight indeed! Great work dealing with those japanese marines just now, hopefully the first step in turning the tide in thr southwest pacific. Love how you have Anzac, US, British, French and Dutch forces foguting side by side, truly an allied effort.

Love how you have Anzac, US, British, French and Dutch forces foguting side by side, truly an allied effort.

If you can call what the US AI is doing "fighting", maybe... :p

Epic victory. Applies now and not back then perhaps, but the Latte Line has been saved and the restaurant strip in Lygon Streeet will no longer be forced to serve up sashimi at bayonet-point. Huzzah!

That was a bold and complex manoeuvre at sea and on land. Given the Japanese seeming obsession with sending carrier TFs against ANZAC, it’s a bit of a mystery why they’re not losing more islands elsewhere.
I'm not sure what is going on but maybe, if I leave the U.S. A.I. alone - it will buildup steam like a pressure-cooker and finally start advancing again?:cool:

I just caught up everything since May (blame work crises for that, getting deployed allaover the country and so on). I must say an epic fight indeed! Great work dealing with those japanese marines just now, hopefully the first step in turning the tide in thr southwest pacific. Love how you have Anzac, US, British, French and Dutch forces foguting side by side, truly an allied effort.
Good to see you back my "old-friend".:)

I had not planned doing what I am doing but I am doing it as I plan...on very short notice.:D You know, I do like to bring in the Allies and make them count. Playing NZ gives more opportunity.:)

If you can call what the US AI is doing "fighting", maybe... :p
Hey now.. It was the US A.I. that sent me troops and ordered us to Java. Really.;):)

Chapter 61
“No guts, no glory – Part 2”
{13 days in June, 1942}

We pick up the other part of the last update’s unfolding, regarding our actions in the Dutch East Indies. Although, we will have a concern in this area of our fight and least this story-half of these thirteen days in June also brings good news.

While the terrific battle to capture Melbourne was underway we still needed to secure the north of Oosthaven and also make another resource grab that we were beginning to need, as we gained more engineers, planes and ships.

1.jpg

More hassle than anything else.​

2.jpg

I should have went east and NOT south but remember the battle in Melbourne.​

3.jpg

Black Gold is nearby...okay...then let us see if it is defended.
We sent Rear-Admiral Parry to set the stage and saw US warships in the area.​

4.jpg

We dare and walk-in.

5.jpg

As some sort of payback, bombs started falling on Java.
Where they came from, we do not know.​

6.jpg

One more time but their horses are very hungry and cannot run fast.​

7.jpg

Time to send in The Renegades to clean-up.

8.jpg

We need more free-convoys but we will build the airbases before anything else.​

[Next: Time to pause & consider, what we do next...and then? Don’t know yet.:)]

Things are looking up again - a bold stroke on Tarakan. May as well keep pushing the luck - although the Japanese are bound to try another naval landing somewhere irritating.

Keep hitting them hard.

Concur with what others have said: now is the time for relentless attack. Still in awe at the encirclement/annihilation of those forces on Melbourne. Bravo!

Good, kick them out of DEI! Without its oil, the whole Japanese war machine should come to a screeching halt.
Should... :p

All caught up at last. Congratulations on clearing the IJN Marines out of Australia, a real all-service all-Allied victory.

With the IJN carriers so busy around the Tasman Sea you would hope the RN and USN were making great progress elsewhere (they aren't are they?). The attack on Tarakan is another good step towards retaking the DEI, but it would be nice if you didn't have to take such 'direct' measures to get your Allies to co-operate. ;)

I also remain impressed at your incredibly fast rate of updating. :D

Things are looking up again - a bold stroke on Tarakan. May as well keep pushing the luck - although the Japanese are bound to try another naval landing somewhere irritating.
Yeah...this could go on forever.

Air bases are important, and planes to fly from them, interceptors to stop bad flying.
Wish I'd thought of it sooner.

Keep hitting them hard.
But it's hard to hit them.:)

Concur with what others have said: now is the time for relentless attack. Still in awe at the encirclement/annihilation of those forces on Melbourne. Bravo!
Lady-luck finally smiled on us once again. The IJN advantages are brutal to navigate.

With luck, cutting off their access to oil will stall the Japanese advance -- or, at the very least, force them to press the attack somewhere other than the shores of New Zealand.
Were I healthy I could have made this a more powerful story. I hope somebody does this type of thing again and they do it justice. I've barely scratched the surface but at least I scratched.:D

Good, kick them out of DEI! Without its oil, the whole Japanese war machine should come to a screeching halt.
Should... :p
That was the idea but I have a new idea.;)

All caught up at last. Congratulations on clearing the IJN Marines out of Australia, a real all-service all-Allied victory.

With the IJN carriers so busy around the Tasman Sea you would hope the RN and USN were making great progress elsewhere (they aren't are they?). The attack on Tarakan is another good step towards retaking the DEI, but it would be nice if you didn't have to take such 'direct' measures to get your Allies to co-operate. ;)

I also remain impressed at your incredibly fast rate of updating. :D
Remember that US-bit because it soon becomes headlines.:cool:

About that update speed. I'm closer to your hallmark than you realize. My butt could be doing this full time and instead I'm more following your lead but It cannot appear so...in public.:D

Chapter 62
“One Night”
{Summer, 1942}

The setting-sun had fallen below the horizon several hours ago, before two figures emerged out of the black-shadows of large trees, slowly and cautiously stepping towards each other.

The pair finally met on a street-corner, under the dim-light of a flickering street-lamp. The like of this corner could have been found anywhere but the nature of this intersection wasn’t everywhere and the two people meeting could have been there for any typical reason but their purpose was no neighborly news or gossip.

<cue Mission-Impossible theme>
Should you accept this mission...’
Wait! Shouldn’t you first TELL me the mission?’
Oh yeah, sorry.’ One hands something to the other.
The other reads; “One of our generals has requested to know the Imperial man-pool. And while you are out, we need all the goods you can get from the major actors.”
That’s impossible!
The One; ‘But, should you accept?’
The Other;‘Of course not but it’s my destiny.’
The One;‘Remember what happens to that scribbling, seconds after having accepted your assignment.’

The receiving shadow remembers and frantically tosses the envelope away but it falls into a nearby bush and instantly the evidence burst into flames and bonfires the bush. As if warning the clandestine pair, the streetlamp blinks and then completely fails, as the two figures run away while fearfully-cussing and evading the light from the dancing red-flames, to flee the scene in opposite directions.