• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 247 - October 1132
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 247
October 1132 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

Another day, another set of talks.

Geoffrey resisted a sigh, managing to avoid it by drinking his wine instead as he stood on one end of the table in the strategy hall. Opposite him, Duke Guilhem of Poitou kept his eyes on the king.

Before them, lay the map of the region. Wooden blocks, representing armies, were placed about it, with a large clump gathered in Gascony, near the southern border with Navarra. Elsewhere, in the region of Poitou, a separate but smaller force remained.

1132-Map-of-realm.jpg

Geoffrey eyed his uncle, holding back his contempt for this. Negotiating felt beneath him - he was being held hostage by a man who should not be able to do this.

But do this he had - as Guilhem had continued to block Geoffrey’s desired war for Navarra. And so the king was forced back to the table - this time with an offer he felt was much too generous… but one he could still afford.

“I give you leave to attack Alphonse,” Geoffrey said. “I will not even require your men for the conflict against Navarra.”

The Duke of Poitou had made no secret in the past of his desires to wage war against King Alphonse of the Franks. The lands of La Marche had once fallen under the authority of Geoffrey’s great-grandfather, and Guilhem’s grandfather, Duke Guilhem VIII of Aquitaine and Poitou.

1132-Guilhem-war-target.jpg

Through marriage they had fallen under the control of the Count Vexin, who was a vassal of the Frankish king. But there were those in Aquitaine who thought that should be rectified - Guilhem chief among them.

Geoffrey had grander plans for warring with Alphonse - he wanted Normandy - and was not about to waste his resources attacking La Marche for an uncle who was trying to extort him.

But, after the advice given to him by Duke Adhemar and Duchess Essa in the months prior, Geoffrey decided upon a compromise - offer Guilhem leave to attack Alphonse and promise not to call any of his men into war against Navarra.

As one of Geoffrey’s leading vassals, and family, Guilhem would have been chief among those expected to give men. To be excepted from the war was quite the gift… and Geoffrey thought it was more than fair.

“You get a county to give to one of your sons,” Geoffrey said. “And I get my war.”

“Alphonse can call upon more knights than I can,” Guilhem noted. He pulled some of the blocks off Gascony and to Poitou. “I would need Essa’s men as well.”

“I can’t spare her forces,” Geoffrey said as he pulled them back to Gascony.

“You have gold,” Guilhem said. “More than I do. Hire mercenaries.”

“Have you convinced her to join you?” Geoffrey asked. “She has sent no word to me.”

“She has not… agreed to it,” Guilhem said. “But if you release her from her obligation…”

“Out of the question,” Geoffrey said. “I already give you greater leeway than any other vassal in the realm. I am not gifting you half of the realm’s knights!”

“It is hardly a gift,” Guilhem said. “By right, they are mine to command.”

“What right?” Geoffrey fired back. “You can talk as if you control Essa’s levy, but you don’t. And even if you did, you would still be obligated to provide me with men. You can withhold your vote on the council, but you cannot withhold you levy without cause, unless you wish to violate your oaths to me.”

“Then you will have your knights,” Guilhem said. “When you have the votes for war.”

Geoffrey glared at his uncle. He couldn’t be surprised at this - after all, he and Guilhem had off and on talks for months with no breakthrough. Why would today be any different?

The disappointment over the situation was something Geoffrey, in his weaker moments, might have admitted he was growing used to. He had multiple irons in the fire, but none had given him anything yet.

Essa remained in Toulouse, though he expected her back in the coming months. He had heard the fires of the fever were burning out, and the hope was the worst was past. Not that he expected Essa to break the deadlock any more than she had prior to her departure, but it probably wouldn’t hurt.

He couldn’t get the council members indebted to Guilhem to relent either - again, not surprising. Most means of working within his council at blocking Guilhem’s obstinance were going to be blocked off. The Duke of Poitou forced him to either do nothing, or take drastic action on that front, and sticking to Adhemar’s advice, Geoffrey went with the former over the latter.

His one other road was Adhemar’s work with Countess Sarrazine to undermine Guilhem in Poitou. The countess herself had come to Bordeaux in the early summer to engage in mediation over her differences with her liege lord.

It was a farce. Geoffrey himself could not participate - their affair removed any doubt about his neutrality. Instead it was Adhemar who handled it. He was not exactly unbiased either - but Guilhem could not admit the plot against his uncle's family, nor would Adhemar admit to aiding Sarrazine, so the talks themselves happened, even if nothing was gained.

But it did allow Geoffrey to voice his private support for the countess, which she appreciated. And it also, perhaps foolishly, led to the pair again engaging in their affair.

Once again, Geoffrey might argue it was due to a lack of available options. Essa was in Toulouse. Meanwhile, Ana had spent the better part of the year pregnant.

The Perigord woman had revealed her pregnancy in the late spring. Like last time, Geoffrey had been forced to part with her as a result, even if she remained in the palace. And like last time, Ana had birthed Geoffrey a girl, which she had named Alpais.

1132-Alpais-born.jpg

The final similarity was the exit of Ælfflæd, who had quit the palace again in the summer, frustrated with Ana’s pregnancy. Geoffrey was told to expect her back in the fall, but it was November and he remained without a wife.

Meanwhile Sarrazine was without the companionship of her husband Philippe, and confined in Geoffrey she had not been with anyone since the birth of her daughter.

But Geoffrey was left to lament his actions last month when Sarrazine sent word to him that she was with child once more.

The king was left to expect another firestorm, only it never came. To his surprise, Philippe accepted the child as his own. Edouard had suggested Philippe feared for what status he had left in his wife’s court by challenging her, and Geoffrey was left to agree, for he could not understand why his uncle would accept Sarrazine’s lie after what happened in the previous year.

1132-Sarrazine-pregnant.jpg

Not that he had entirely escaped trouble. Ælfflæd remained away. Though part of that was no doubt Ana, who birthed another daughter in September, he guessed news of Sarrazine’s pregnancy, and the fact she had been in Bordeaux recently, did him no favors with his wife.

It certainly had not with his mother, as Marguerite had chastised him in private following the news of the countess’ pregnancy. She called him irresponsible, and claimed not even his father would have been as bold as "to continue with such a scandalous thing" if he had been caught red handed.

There was much Geoffrey wanted to say to that - if the rumors were true about the old king, he was not one to abandon his lovers easily, no matter how scandalous. But was not about to broach that subject with his mother, so Geoffrey just took his tongue lashing in silence.

It did make him long for Essa, even if he knew he’d need to be extra careful with her going forward. It was clear his mother was aligned against her. And in this case, she would not be short of allies. It was possible the queen and the entirety of the council, including Guilhem, wanted some way to take Essa down.

It even made Geoffrey question whether an actual resumption of their affair would even be possible.

But he would cross that bridge when he got to it. In the meantime, he was ready to retire to his chamber to relax after more frustration with his uncle.

However, as the two men prepared to depart, Bishop Edouard made an entrance into the hall.

“My king,” he said. “There is an emissary from Toulouse here to see you. He says the news he brings is urgent.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose and he traded a glance to Guilhem, who also appeared concerned.

“What is this about?” Guilhem demanded.

“I am not certain,” Edouard said. “Just that it was urgent, and the king should hear it.”

Geoffrey was uncertain what that could mean. He had not seen Essa in months, so surely it was not to tell him she was pregnant. Could it be something else, related to her return?

He thought of dismissing Guilhem, but that would be too suspicious. Instead, he just instructed Edouard to let the emissary in to see them both.

“You have no idea what this is about?” Guilhem asked.

“None,” Geoffrey said. “I’ve not heard any word from the duchess in weeks. I thought you would know, being her husband. And talking to her over your plans against the Franks.”

Guilhem slunk down a bit in his chair as Geoffrey realized his uncle likely had not even broached the subject of Toulouse’s support for his desired war.

But that had to be put aside as the emissary entered. He bowed before the king as well as the Duke of Poitou.

“King Geoffrey, Duke Guilhem, my lord,” the man said. “I mean… Lord Guilhem.”

“Am I not your lord?” Guilhem demanded.

The man hesitated to respond. “I… it is… the news, sir.”

Geoffrey was left scratching his head. What was going on?

“You’re here at the behest of Duchess Essa, correct?” Geoffrey asked. “What news does she send us?”

The man lowered his head. “It is… of tragedy, my king. The duchess is dead.”

Geoffrey heard the words. But they did not process in his mind. Not fully - even as they managed to send a chill down his spine.

He looked to Guilhem at first, who looked on wide-eyed, with mouth agape.

“What did you say?” the Duke of Poitou asked.

“Forgive me Lord Guilhem,” the man said. “But your wife has passed. She took ill with the fever and… it progressed quickly. She was bled, but it may have been too late.”

“But… but that can’t have happened,” Geoffrey blurted out. “She never said she was ill. And she was not old. She always looked in fine health. Robust. Healthy.”

“The fever strikes at all your highness,” the man said.

Geoffrey was left to shake his head. He could not believe it.

Essa, dead? He was never to see her again? Never to enjoy her touch, never to feel her lips against his…

Numb, his breathing was shallow. He barely even noticed the man who delivered the news remained.

“Do you have need of something else?” Guilhem demanded of the emissary.

“I… I have a message for the king,” the man said as he produced a roll of parchment from a satchel. “Instructions from the lady. Final requests, as it were.”

“Give it to me,” Guilhem instructed.

The man gripped the parchment tighter. “Forgive me, Duke Guilhem. But they were for the king.”

Guilhem jerked his head to Geoffrey, furrowing his brow. “What does she have to tell you?”

Geoffrey’s heart skipped a beat. There was plenty she could have enclosed there. And it was likely not for Guilhem’s eyes.

“I… do not know,” Geoffrey replied. “She was my vassal. And my advisor. A member of the council. There is much she may have wished to tell me, that she could not, as I was not with her in her last moments.”

He stumbled upon an excuse and continued into an explanation that made his chest hurt.

“I want to see that parchment,” Guilhem demanded.

“No,” Geoffrey replied.

“What?”

“It is not for you,” Geoffrey said. “I will not deny the woman her last request. She is your wife, Guilhem.”

Geoffrey paused. “She was your wife. Can you respect her in death?”

Guilhem turned his gaze back to the man. “Have you a parchment for me? Instructions to her husband?”

“I… I do not,” the man said.

“What trickery is this?” Guilhem demanded. “She gives you instructions but not me, her husband?”

“I am her liege lord,” Geoffrey said. He grimaced. “Was her liege lord. Toulouse is part of my kingdom - and she likely has requests as to how it is overseen while your son, who is under my guardianship, remains underage.”

“It should be my decision,” Guilhem said. “Though our marriage.”

“Which is at an end,” Geoffrey reminded him.

“But Simon remains my son, not yours,” Guilhem said. “At least he I am certain about.”

“Perhaps she says that you are to oversee it all,” Geoffrey said. “I do not know - I have yet to read her instructions.”

“Then do so,” Guilhem said.

Geoffrey eyed his uncle, then slowly made his way to the man and took the parchment. He swallowed hard. What if she wrote something of our affair? What if my uncle sees?

“I shall read this in my chamber,” Geoffrey insisted.

“Read it here,” Guilhem said. “Aloud.”

“You don’t get to make demands of me,” Geoffrey replied. “I am your king, not the other way round.”

“And she was my wife, not yours,” Guilhem retorted. “Though sometimes I wonder…”

Geoffrey narrowed his gaze. He was tempted to press his uncle on that charge, but wasn’t sure he was ready to hear it levied at him, especially in the presence of this emissary.

“This is finished,” Geoffrey replied. He turned to the emissary. “Thank you for your message. See the steward Edouard, he shall set you up with accomodations for the evening.”

“Thank you, my king,” the man said as he bowed. “Lord Guilhem.”

“You cannot leave this,” Guilhem said.

“I am,” Geoffrey said. “If you press this further, I will call the guards. Grieve how you wish uncle. But leave me alone.”

He watched his uncle to see if he moved. When Guilhem remained in place, Geoffrey turned and made his exit from the hall.

His walk to the chamber was slow. He was vaguely aware of his surroundings as he moved - people he passed, sounds of the bustle of daily palace life. But none of it processed.

She can’t be dead, Geoffrey thought. But… how could she not be? The message was from her…

The king reached his chamber and entered it, closing the door slowly behind him. He made the slow walk to his table and plopped himself down in a chair. He looked down at the parchment, and with trembling hands, opened it to read.

My lord king, Geoffrey, second of his name,

It pains me that I could not speak to you one last time. But this illness has robbed me of that chance, and so I must settle for this. I am grateful for the chance to serve two kings - a great man and one who will no doubt become great. I am saddened by the fact I will not live to see you achieve your destiny, but am heartened to know that you shall. But, I beg of you, please look to my children. See that my eldest, Simon, is shielded from those who would use him - in my court and his father’s. And protect his inheritance - there is no shortage of lords who sought to seize it from me and no doubt lick their lips at the prospect of a child duke.

See to it that my other sons are looked after by their brother and their father. And if I might make one special request - that you give young Henri a fief in time. He will have difficulty receiving any lands being my fourth born.

Your father gave me a seat, you gave me a voice… and much more. I thank you for everything, my king.

-Your most loyal and loving vassal

Duchess Agnes “Essa” of Toulouse - first of her name

1132-Essa-dies.jpg

Geoffrey read the words over and over again, through blurred vision as the tears slowly ran down his cheeks. He did not believe this could be true, and he did not know if he kept reading the letter to convince himself of it, or just to find some hint that it was a hoax.

But he knew it was not. It was not in the lady’s handwriting besides a cursive“Essa” at the bottom - but it wouldn’t be, given she was ill. But it came affixed with her seal. And it was her style - hinting at was hidden beneath the surface, but never explicitly saying it.

And she makes a special request for Henri, Geoffrey thought. Only she would think to do that.

Geoffrey thought about burning the parchment, so to make certain Guilhem did not see it. But… he could not. He could not burn the one last piece of the lady that remained.

Was it worth it, he wondered. I enjoyed myself with her, yes. And she with me. But now she is gone. And my uncle hates me - even if he cannot prove that I was with her.

An uncle that was proving a thorn in his side. Perhaps it might just be best to remove him from the council. Then he could turn his attention to Navarra immediately.

And make an enemy of his son.

Geoffrey frowned once more. While Essa lived, the promise that his cousin Simon would be an ally, not an enemy, seemed possible. After all, he never doubted his lover’s intent.

But she was gone now. And who knew what Guilhem might say to turn the boy against him. Even if he was technically under Geoffrey’s care, he could not bar his father from seeing him, especially with Guilhem residing in Bordeaux.

If he fired Guilhem, Simon would not understand. And even if he did, Guilhem would make certain the boy was made to realize the error of his ways.

I would make an enemy for years to come, Geoffrey thought, one that goes beyond one man. It was Essa’s advice that I not fire Guilhem… and I will not let her voice grow silent in my mind, even now.

1132-Duke-Simon.jpg

His mind drifted. How could this have happened?

He remembered Essa’s frustration with being pressured to go back to Toulouse. Pressure by his mother. His wife.

Their fault?!

They weren’t alone though. Alberic. Berard. Edouard. Adhemar. Arguably Guilhem himself. Her court. The council. So many to blame. Was it even worth it?

Geoffrey groaned and poured himself a drink. He wanted to drink until the emptiness was filled… until the loss he felt was gone.

But a knock on the door refused to allow him that peace.

“Cousin!” Edouard shouted. “I must speak with you at once.”

Geoffrey didn’t answer at first, just letting the steward bang away at the door. He even heard at one point Edouard ask the guard if he was certain Geoffrey was in the chamber.

“Cousin!” Edouard continued to shout. “I bring urgent news! You will want to hear this!”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. He probably wishes to tell me about Essa.

But eventually, Geoffrey relented and allowed Edouard access. The bishop hurried in and shut the door behind him, before approaching the table where the king was seated.

“I don’t want to see anyone,” Geoffrey told him.

“It’s important,” Edouard said.

“Is this about Essa?” Geoffrey demanded. “I know about her.”

“No,” Edouard said. “Though I heard from Guilhem. I am sorry for your loss.”

“I’m sure,” Geoffrey said. “You’re probably thrilled she’s no longer a problem.”

Edouard shook his head. “I would not wish death upon anyone, cousin.”

“But you wanted her gone,” Geoffrey said. “As my mother did. And my wife. You have all gotten what you wished for. I hope you are happy.”

Edouard lowered his head. “I am truly sorry, cousin.”

“Your words ring hollow,” Geoffrey said. “Leave me alone.”

“I cannot,” Edouard said. “I have news from England.”

Geoffrey’s brow picked up. “What news?”

Edouard looked at him square. “Your father-by-law King Thoræd is dead.”

1132-Thoraed-dies.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Not sure if you were going for a symmetry thing, but I find it interesting that this chapter has two births and two deaths. Essa had a fairly good run all things considered. And again whatever misery she may have caused in personal dealings, she remained loyal to the end. I just hope the same could be said of her children. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of Anges, both being viewed, not without reason, as scheming troublemakers, and yet both possessing a caring side. They both started out quite ambitious but died with the Content trait, leaving me to believe that Aines really acted on her own, or else was put up to it by someone else. Until it is said otherwise, my headcanon is that it was a "rid me of this turbulent priest situation", where the two of them were talking and Aines thought Essa would like it if she killed Guilhielm. That would explain why she was so keen to protect her, as though she did not plan the assassination, in some ways she felt responsible.
Thorad's death comes at an especially inopportune time. While Essa is dead, and her influence gone, Geoffery blames his wife for it, and so is unlikely to respond positively to any calls for war with England. Both of his mistresses are likely to gain from this since they are virtually the only influential people in his life who cannot be blamed for Essa's death, Anna in particular, as even Sarazine, in a roundabout way, led to Essa distancing herself from Geoffery. And I'll say this until I'm blue in the face but for the love of god Geoffery needs to break Aines's betrothal with Simon. He now has two bastard daughters to use for dynastic marriages. Hell if Guilhielm wants Aines married into his family so much he can have her himself, Uncle Neice marriages have happened before in the house of Anjou. At least it would put the schemers together where Geoffery can see them.

Geoffery is caught between two vows. On the one hand, he wants to overthrow Guilhielm. On the other, he feels obligated to respect Simon's inheritance. Perhaps he will use Simon or Henri as a proxy, like how several Duchesses were overthrown by factions loyal to Geoffery.

Props on Count Eduard for being a good dude. Is he still without children?

And it looks like the Flanders Civil war has ended, one way or another. France actually looks quite strong, though Alphonse has yet to revoke Paris from Bella and Henri's descendants.

Geoffery now needs a new advisor. Under ordinary circumstances, I suspect he'd either appoint his wife or Beard Periograd, but they both were against Essa so I suspect Geoffery will need some convincing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
you... you... now I need this week to end so a new Tuesday comes and I can keep reading this!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, that's one hell of a one-two punch for a single update.

I'm pretty much going to second everything that @JSB217118 said, except that I don't think it's quite so clear-cut how Essa's death is going to affect Geoffrey in the long term. The King is in an emotionally vulnerable state right now, and he's going to be looking for someone to try to help fill the void -- and if Ælfflæd can swallow her pride, act swiftly and decisively, and play her cards right, she might be able to find herself in a position where she can genuinely hold a lot of sway over Geoffrey's decisions. Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but I think there's still enough chemistry there that she could fill in that void at least a little, if never quite enough to satisfy someone with the King's wide-ranging appetites.

Granted, that's a lot of ifs in that previous paragraph, and it isn't going to help that Ælfflæd's own state of mind will almost certainly be affected by her own father's passing. On the other hand, Thoræd's death is certainly going to bring a new urgency to the succession issue, which might spur her to be a little more proactive about seeing her children on the English throne -- and not merely with vague hopes about accomplishing it at some undefined point in the future.

It would be a little ironic if the one thing that brings Geoff and Elf closer together is the fact that they can both commiserate on the passing of a loved one, especially when one's loved one has been the rival for the other party's affections...

Reactions:
Great chapter, I appreciate the sad symmetry between Geoffrey siring two bastards in the same year that his father-in law and Essa died. Speaking of England, I'd imagine it'll be a dumpster fire, and that Thoraed's grandson won't reign for long. Hopefully it won't be Elfflaed that's responsible for her nephew's deposition.

Reactions:
Is England still an elective monarchy, or have they switched to primogeniture? I also wonder what the Kingdom of Jerusalem has the same succession laws. We could be in for a split.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But it did allow Geoffrey to voice his private support for the countess, which she appreciated. And it also, perhaps foolishly, led to the pair again engaging in their affair.
Perhaps? o_O:D

Once again, Geoffrey might argue it was due to a lack of available options. Essa was in Toulouse. Meanwhile, Ana had spent the better part of the year pregnant.
Well, most of this lack of options derives from his own actions! He still has that juvenile self-centredness about him. Which he may never outgrow.

The final similarity was the exit of Ælfflæd, who had quit the palace again in the summer, frustrated with Ana’s pregnancy. Geoffrey was told to expect her back in the fall, but it was November and he remained without a wife.
Ditto.

But Geoffrey was left to lament his actions last month when Sarrazine sent word to him that she was with child once more.
Ditto.

The king was left to expect another firestorm, only it never came. To his surprise, Philippe accepted the child as his own.
More than he deserves.

She called him irresponsible, and claimed not even his father would have been as bold as "to continue with such a scandalous thing" if he had been caught red handed.
The main thing was that his father was rarely caught!

“It is… of tragedy, my king. The duchess is dead.”
He remembered Essa’s frustration with being pressured to go back to Toulouse. Pressure by his mother. His wife.
Ah, so that is the result of their ostracism plan. All plausibly deniable too. “The Lord moves in mysterious ways, etc”

Edouard looked at him square. “Your father-by-law King Thoræd is dead.”
From that screen it seems none of his children had inherited, unless I’m misreading it. This is where Ælfflæd makes her reappearance ...

Great episode, yet again!:)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well that just changes things quite a bit. Essa's death is going to a big impact on many things I have a hunch. Then the King of England goes and dies and that has to throw a wrench into the system. The Queen looks to have possibly gained with Essa's death but her father's death may have fouled up some long term plans. I am curious to see how Guilhem's status and position will be impacted. I assume he is weaken some and now Geoffrey has a few more options open to him when it comes to dealing with his uncle.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh drat! Powerful women are always interesting. I was looking forward to another woman like Wulfrun from coz’s Song of Essex. The dynamics between Margurite, Aelflaed, and Essa would have been fabulous.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So it struck Essa. Her grand plans for Aquitaine, foiled. Like her father, caught off-guard by circumstances beyond her control just as things were looking to go very well for her. The Toulouses have shown great promise, and had already taken the first steps, only to be cruelly stopped in their tracks.

Essa was the best bet to succeed her Angevin namesake and had a strong influence on Geoffrey, a void that clearly will be hard to fill. In terms of political influence, certainly. But taking Geoffrey's desires in account, there's probably also another scandal in the making...

And to the English situation: May that be a side-effect of the Iberian Curse? Shifting away the would-be-invader's attention? England will likely be thrown into turmoil with the king's death and the different factions vying for the crown. Ælfflæd will definitely make her move in Bordeaux, and Guilhem obstinately blocks Navarra. He'd probably also benefit short-term from an English campaign, both weakening the king's presence and influence on his son and the kingdom as a whole. Depending on how it all develops, Geoffrey might not just be forced to wait, but also willing to do so.

Reactions:
Not sure if you were going for a symmetry thing, but I find it interesting that this chapter has two births and two deaths. Essa had a fairly good run all things considered. And again whatever misery she may have caused in personal dealings, she remained loyal to the end. I just hope the same could be said of her children. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of Anges, both being viewed, not without reason, as scheming troublemakers, and yet both possessing a caring side. They both started out quite ambitious but died with the Content trait, leaving me to believe that Aines really acted on her own, or else was put up to it by someone else. Until it is said otherwise, my headcanon is that it was a "rid me of this turbulent priest situation", where the two of them were talking and Aines thought Essa would like it if she killed Guilhielm. That would explain why she was so keen to protect her, as though she did not plan the assassination, in some ways she felt responsible.
Thorad's death comes at an especially inopportune time. While Essa is dead, and her influence gone, Geoffery blames his wife for it, and so is unlikely to respond positively to any calls for war with England. Both of his mistresses are likely to gain from this since they are virtually the only influential people in his life who cannot be blamed for Essa's death, Anna in particular, as even Sarazine, in a roundabout way, led to Essa distancing herself from Geoffery. And I'll say this until I'm blue in the face but for the love of god Geoffery needs to break Aines's betrothal with Simon. He now has two bastard daughters to use for dynastic marriages. Hell if Guilhielm wants Aines married into his family so much he can have her himself, Uncle Neice marriages have happened before in the house of Anjou. At least it would put the schemers together where Geoffery can see them.

Geoffery is caught between two vows. On the one hand, he wants to overthrow Guilhielm. On the other, he feels obligated to respect Simon's inheritance. Perhaps he will use Simon or Henri as a proxy, like how several Duchesses were overthrown by factions loyal to Geoffery.

Props on Count Eduard for being a good dude. Is he still without children?

And it looks like the Flanders Civil war has ended, one way or another. France actually looks quite strong, though Alphonse has yet to revoke Paris from Bella and Henri's descendants.

Geoffery now needs a new advisor. Under ordinary circumstances, I suspect he'd either appoint his wife or Beard Periograd, but they both were against Essa so I suspect Geoffery will need some convincing.

It wasn't quite the intention on the symmetry thing, if I'm being honest. Sometimes, things just work out. I had intended to reveal Ana's pregnancy two chapters ago, but it never really fit. It worked better here cataloging Geoffrey's slide back into his usual habits (as well as revealing why I needed that earlier chapter with them together).

On Essa - I agree. She had a good run, accomplishing a lot. Knowing where things are going with characters in the future, I'd say the Lady fits a theme. I don't want to fully reveal the theme now, but it's something I actually have in mind as I formulate what will amount to Geoffrey's end. Don't worry, that's not for a long while yet, but I often think on how I want a character to depart the scene, many many chapters and in game years advance of it happening.

Essa was loyal to Geoffrey, though and what she may or may not have had her hands in dies with her. She is interesting on which Angevin she most resembles. Agnes is an easy choice, as besides sharing the name, they are both women who advanced to powerful status in their kingdom despite not being the heir to their father's legacies. And the loyalty, despite questions over methods arousing suspicion fits both. But on the hand, Agnes' commitment to appearance and decorum is very much a Geoffrey I trait. Both Agnes and Geoffrey I saw the other in Essa, and I think both are right. In some ways, she is very much their child - a product of the methods the two used to achieve their success.

Thoræd's end came as a surprise to me given I had just gotten the notification for Essa and was figuring how to deal with that. (Namely, Simon). I don't know if there was ever a "good" time for it, but it did provide me with options, since Æthelfirth, Ælfflæd's nephew, was still underage. And while Geoffrey isn't that interested in invading England at this time, he still wants that crown for his family. The idea was put in his head, and it's not leaving anytime soon.

So, with Guilhem... honestly, he's an annoyance. But he's not a threat, unless I make him one. By himself, he's not going to do anything. And Foulquesson wouldn't join factions, cause he's too friendly with Geoffrey after the Brittany wars.

But Simon? Simon is a problem because Simon will have over a third of the realm under his direct control when he inherits from Guilhem. Keeping him in check is essential because he's a near instant rebellion if I ever suffered any setbacks and he's in a faction.

However, any children Aines and Simon may not have the same territorial power because Poitou and Toulouse are under Gavelkind succession at the moment. Because Guilhem and Essa were different inheritances, Simon could still get both. But once he HAS both, his successors get one and not the other. So even with a claim to the throne, Aines' prospective children with Simon are arguably less of a rebellion threat than Simon himself.

On the Guilhem uncle/niece marriage thing, just wait and see...

Edouard remains without children as he is a bishop. Sorry for the confusion - Count Douard is technically Count Edouard, but when I refer to "Edouard", I'm referring to Geoffrey's first cousin, the bishop, who is just a few years older than the king. For clarification, Bishop Edouard is the bastard son of Ness de Limoges and the late Count of Narbonne - her third child. So he's the younger half-brother of Guilhem and Ancel (the former Count of Chalons, not the future Duke of Brittany), and the older half-brother of the d'Uzes boys, Centoth and Rogier and Ness' youngest (who's name escapes me at the moment).

France fluctuates in strength quite a bit. I've seen Alphonse muster over 12K, and then at times he's only around 7K-8K. Still formidable enough to pounce if I made a mistake and got a lot of Geoffrey's men killed. It's looming in the background.

The advisor question is going to be answered in a few chapters. Remember though, pretty much everyone lined up against Essa in the Bordeaux court. Her ambition won her few friends, and deposing her brother left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. She also stripped lands from her lords. Her power insulated her from a lot, but it did not help her reputation. So if disliking or speaking against Essa disqualified you, then most of Bordeaux would be disqualified.

For the record, I don't think that was fair, given most of these lords are nakedly ambitious in one way or another. But as a woman, Essa was held to a different standard.

you... you... now I need this week to end so a new Tuesday comes and I can keep reading this!

Glad you continue to be engrossed by the story! I have written the next few chapters, so we should be all set for the Tuesday update!

Well, that's one hell of a one-two punch for a single update.

I'm pretty much going to second everything that @JSB217118 said, except that I don't think it's quite so clear-cut how Essa's death is going to affect Geoffrey in the long term. The King is in an emotionally vulnerable state right now, and he's going to be looking for someone to try to help fill the void -- and if Ælfflæd can swallow her pride, act swiftly and decisively, and play her cards right, she might be able to find herself in a position where she can genuinely hold a lot of sway over Geoffrey's decisions. Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but I think there's still enough chemistry there that she could fill in that void at least a little, if never quite enough to satisfy someone with the King's wide-ranging appetites.

Granted, that's a lot of ifs in that previous paragraph, and it isn't going to help that Ælfflæd's own state of mind will almost certainly be affected by her own father's passing. On the other hand, Thoræd's death is certainly going to bring a new urgency to the succession issue, which might spur her to be a little more proactive about seeing her children on the English throne -- and not merely with vague hopes about accomplishing it at some undefined point in the future.

It would be a little ironic if the one thing that brings Geoff and Elf closer together is the fact that they can both commiserate on the passing of a loved one, especially when one's loved one has been the rival for the other party's affections...

A good read on how Geoffrey is going to be affected. He's lost someone important to him, but now another big moment that he has had an eye on has appeared. And that moment is going to have it's own set of pitfalls and stresses. As you might expect, Ælfflæd's going to have a rather large role to play in this. And well, you're also right that Ælfflæd's mindset is going to be affected by her father's death. Can you guess who's perspective the next chapter is from? ;)

Great chapter, I appreciate the sad symmetry between Geoffrey siring two bastards in the same year that his father-in law and Essa died. Speaking of England, I'd imagine it'll be a dumpster fire, and that Thoraed's grandson won't reign for long. Hopefully it won't be Elfflaed that's responsible for her nephew's deposition.

Thanks! As noted above, it wasn't intentional with that symmetry, but it just worked out well! As for your England prediction... well, stay tuned. I was hoping for anarchy. ;)

Is England still an elective monarchy, or have they switched to primogeniture? I also wonder what the Kingdom of Jerusalem has the same succession laws. We could be in for a split.

England's currently Primo. So... their brief history:

William conquered England. It was Primo.

At some point, it switched to elective. Since nobody but human players who can game the system or are trying escape gavelkind choose to go elective, I believe he backed down to an overwhelming faction demand.

When William died, Morcar of York was elected king. He didn't have a lot of success, got DOW'd by King Philippe for Normandy, and was murdered. A rather unfortunate end for a character I did enjoy in the Rightful King.

Godwine of House Godwin was elected. He got killed in battle against Phillippe's forces in Normandy. Both he and Morcar did not last long.

Then Ælfflæd's grandfather Ælmær was elected. He kind of was an amazing king! First, England was getting crushed by Philippe but he managed to completely turn the war around and had an advantage in men by the end of 1186. It looked like he was going to win the war. Of course, then he attacked Foulques at Rouen, lost and was captured by him a few months later. But he rebounded, despite holding just one county of Witlshire. He stabilized England, started and made most of the progress on the First Crusade. And he managed to change the succession law back to Primo, which shows all the vassals under him had a positive opinion of him. Under the radar, he's one of the more successful AI kings I've seen, given the circumstances!

Thoræd inherited via primo. And now the crown goes to his grandson via his eldest son, also by primo. But... there's a reason I've been hyping about potential changes.

Perhaps? o_O:D

Well, most of this lack of options derives from his own actions! He still has that juvenile self-centredness about him. Which he may never outgrow.

Ditto.

Ditto.

More than he deserves.

The main thing was that his father was rarely caught!

Ah, so that is the result of their ostracism plan. All plausibly deniable too. “The Lord moves in mysterious ways, etc”

From that screen it seems none of his children had inherited, unless I’m misreading it. This is where Ælfflæd makes her reappearance ...

Great episode, yet again!:)

You read it right - we have Geoffrey's thoughts justifying his actions, but the reader can certainly point out he's the cause for his lack of options!

His father wasn't perfect but you're right in that he did not get caught that frequently, especially based on how often he was messing around. Of course, one can certainly point out that his relationship with Agnes had some disastrous knock on effects. Suffice to say, Geoffrey II isn't wrong, but he isn't right either (as is often the Angevin way).

It's funny because I believe the two women would have very different reactions to the end result. Ælfflæd's you'll see next chapter. You won't see Marguerite's, but you can probably guess her response. She may not be a murderer, but she also isn't exactly warm-hearted.

Correct, none of Thoræd's children inherited. It went to his grandson, via his eldest son, Eadwulf. At least at first! Things can change rather quickly when there's a regency.

Thanks! It certainly was a big one!

Well that just changes things quite a bit. Essa's death is going to a big impact on many things I have a hunch. Then the King of England goes and dies and that has to throw a wrench into the system. The Queen looks to have possibly gained with Essa's death but her father's death may have fouled up some long term plans. I am curious to see how Guilhem's status and position will be impacted. I assume he is weaken some and now Geoffrey has a few more options open to him when it comes to dealing with his uncle.

Essa's death opens up room for influence for sure. And then you're right - things might have proceeded differently if Geoffrey had time to rebalance things, especially with things in a sort of stasis thanks to Guilhem. But things aren't in stasis now! Things are happening, whether Geoffrey and Ælfflæd are ready for them, or not.

Duke Guilhem (and I really need to figure out a good nickname for the prince to get rid of confusion at this point), in some ways has gained out of this. Essa was loyal to Geoffrey over him - for a variety of reasons. Simon is much more likely to side with his father over his cousin. And Simon has to be handled with care, since he will also inherit Poitou when Guilhem dies.

Oh drat! Powerful women are always interesting. I was looking forward to another woman like Wulfrun from coz’s Song of Essex. The dynamics between Margurite, Aelflaed, and Essa would have been fabulous.

I liked Essa a lot and was really disappointed that she died. Obviously, I initiated their affair to bring her into it all and have her as a major player. But I'd say even if she didn't quite manage to end up in a prolonged power struggle, she did a lot. She was just her father's eldest daughter, born of a lowborn woman. She was married to Duke Guilhem, but held nothing of her own. She convinced Geoffrey I to win her Toulouse. Then she got him to intervene in her behalf against the Melguiels. Then she shored up her own base, stripping weak vassal of their lands to make herself strong.

In the end, Essa went from a woman with nothing but a marriage and a name to the strongest vassal in one of Europe's most powerful realms. In terms of raw power, she might have died as Europe's most powerful woman at the time! She did very well for herself, and I'm glad she was a major part of the story, even if I wanted her role to be even larger.

So it struck Essa. Her grand plans for Aquitaine, foiled. Like her father, caught off-guard by circumstances beyond her control just as things were looking to go very well for her. The Toulouses have shown great promise, and had already taken the first steps, only to be cruelly stopped in their tracks.

Essa was the best bet to succeed her Angevin namesake and had a strong influence on Geoffrey, a void that clearly will be hard to fill. In terms of political influence, certainly. But taking Geoffrey's desires in account, there's probably also another scandal in the making...

And to the English situation: May that be a side-effect of the Iberian Curse? Shifting away the would-be-invader's attention? England will likely be thrown into turmoil with the king's death and the different factions vying for the crown. Ælfflæd will definitely make her move in Bordeaux, and Guilhem obstinately blocks Navarra. He'd probably also benefit short-term from an English campaign, both weakening the king's presence and influence on his son and the kingdom as a whole. Depending on how it all develops, Geoffrey might not just be forced to wait, but also willing to do so.

Agreed on the Essa retrospective. She achieved a great deal, in some ways more than her father, growing Toulouse to be even stronger. But like him, she was struck down by forces beyond her control.

Essa was the best positioned. She had the men to justify her influence, and had Geoffrey very much under her spell, knowing when to pull back and well to move forward. But sometimes luck is as important as skill and Essa's ran out. :( As for who steps in next... we shall see.

The situation in England and Aquitaine will be tricky for a variety of reasons. I had a plan, but the English didn't want to play by the rules. So I had to change the game. And then Guilhem wouldn't stop being Guilhem! It's hard to comment on anything else without giving things away, but it does ultimately affect everything. Plans for Navarra, plans on where to go next, the immediate actions Geoffrey has to take... everything changed as a result of the turmoil in England.

To all - this chapter was always going to be a big one. Essa alone was going to be a major event, even if it was one I hated seeing happen. Essa was a fun character to write, and one I enjoyed because of how strong she became. She also, honestly, from a writer's point of view, created drama. Even if I don't think she was being malicious toward Geoffrey, others in the story would disagree based on her history. I wanted to see where it all led her, but sometimes things don't go as you plan.

And while I played this many, many months ago (like going on a year at this point), it still rings poignant to me with all that's going on in the real world at the moment. Writing Geoffrey's reaction... at times it was hard to read back because it very much feels like what's being said at times now.

But it wasn't just Essa. The England situation then exploded. Obviously, I'd looked toward England for opportunity, and while I expected it to come in time, it came sooner than I expected. Things didn't quite happen as I expected, for good and bad, leaving me forced to adjust my plans on the fly. I think it makes for an interesting story, but you shall be the judge!

On that, we'll continue on Tuesday with Ælfflæd's perspective. 1132 has two chapters left, but 1133 is going to be rather busy as well!

Hope everyone is staying safe and all is well with you and your loved ones. As always, thanks for your support with readership and commentary I hope the story continues to bring you enjoyment going forward.

Reactions:
Chapter 248 - November 1132
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 248
November 1132 - Angouleme, Kingdom of Aquitaine

The rain beat incessantly against the windows of the manor home in Angouleme.

It had been doing so in spurts all day, forcing those residents of the manor to remain inside. But while that left a frustrated Prince Guilhem, who currently could be heard running through the halls, it suited Ælfflæd just fine.

The queen sat in dim candlelight, with a cup of ale in hand. She did so alone in her chamber, as was her preferred state the last few days. The Queen of Aquitaine did not wish to see anyone, save her son. And even then, she felt herself a burden on his joy, so she was content to let him enjoy himself with some of the other children at the manor.

She had been in this mood for days. A feeling of sadness. Guilt. Anxiety. Fear. It caused sleepless nights and miserable days, slightly alleviated by ale and food - and too much of both.

1132-Aefflaed.jpg

The news came at once. First, confirmation of the death of her father. Then, seemingly hours later, the sudden passing of Duchess Essa of Toulouse.

One would have been hard enough to handle… but both?

She had not gotten along with King Thoræd in years. Not since she had been held captive in Tunis. He was gruff, unsympathetic and cold - perhaps he’d always been, but she noticed it more after her return. And he was not effective - all of his planning seemed to be doing nothing but slow the sink of his power and his family. Sacrifices… all in vain.

Yet there was a time when things were different. They were vague memories, but happy ones.

They were of a period where her father really did seem larger than life. When nobles spoke of him as if he were the most powerful king in Christendom. A hero for the people - scion of a family who had saved England from ruin, defeated the heathens to reclaim the holy lands. He was a king who had proved larger than his small stature to become a giant among his peers.

But more than that, he was a man who would bounce his dark-haired little girl on his knee, and speak of how his little Elf would never want for anything - that she would be queen to a great realm, or duchess of a prosperous land.

And when she closed her eyes, sometimes, when she was lucky, she could see the smile he had back then. The smile that he had long since lost.

The smile was not alone, of course.

That innocent time was nothing but a distant memory. Her brother dead by plot by treasonous Saxon nobles. Her mother, dead after being broken by years in captivity. Her sister, alive, but disgraced - left to lament a marriage to a man she hated and look upon her younger sister with jealousy for sitting in the chair that should have been hers..

And now her father was gone - the family which had stood among Europe’s finest was now on the verge of falling away completely in just a decade and a half. The only people left to arrest such a fall? Her under-age nephews… and herself.

Of course, Ælfflæd had been planning for this for years. She had dreamed of her son Guilhem being named king after her father had gone. It was a dream that remained… and left her feeling incredibly guilty.

My father is dead… and I am praying for my son’s ascension before his body is cold, she thought. What kind of monster am I?

And her conscience was hardly helped by the news of Duchess Essa’s passing.

It was never Ælfflæd’s intention for Essa to die. She wanted her gone from Bordeaux, just to make certain she could not supplant her. But that was it.

In fact, Ælfflæd had planned to come back to the palace in the coming days, in anticipation of Essa’s return. She knew she probably shouldn’t have left in the first place, but the news of Ana’s pregnancy with Geoffrey’s latest bastard forced her to depart in order to not damage her standing further.

Then when she had debated a return, news of Countess Sarrazine swelling with child reached her, as did the news that it came after a visit to Bordeaux.

Even with that, she knew she had to return. For her standing. For her son’s future. But now, she was not sure what to do.

Ælfflæd could not get one fact out of her head: she had aimed to get Essa back to Toulouse and away from Bordeaux. The duchess would still be alive had she not left the palace.

I should never have listened to Marguerite. Her bitterness poisoned me. And now a woman is dead… I have blood on my hands.

It was the nature of this family, she had come to believe. Besides Marguerite and Geoffrey, Princess Aines was currently in Angers, hidden from view, as another bastard of Gui de Limousin grew in her belly.

1132-Princess-Aines-pregnant.jpg

They are truly the devil’s kin, Ælfflæd thought.

But she was reliant on them - ultimately all of her hopes and dreams rested on her standing with them. Yet it was a standing she was left unsure of.

How was Geoffrey handling the news of his lover’s passing? Would he blame her? His mother? Both of them? Ælfflæd had gone with the latter option… and if Geoffrey did as well, what would happen? What fate awaited her?

The answer to that, she realized, might well lay in what was happening in her homeland and her husband’s selfish desires.

Her father was dead. But who was to succeed him?

The initial messenger claimed her nephew Æthelfrith, eldest son of her late brother Eadwulf, had been proclaimed king.

But proclamations alone were not worth the breath necessary to speak them. It would require soldiers to add weight to those words. And the Stawell house in England rarely could rely on their own men for such things - they were too few in number.

It would come down to the nobles of the realm. Would they again accept a Stawell as a compromise - a balance to their many interests? Or would they come together in a great enough union to place another on the throne?

Perhaps my son, Ælfflæd wondered.

She felt guilty for even wishing it. Her father was dead, and she was thinking about how best to take his throne from her nephew.

How have I fallen so far, she wondered.

Marguerite could be blamed for Essa. But for this? She desired it. She wished it. This was her doing. As much as she wished to resent Geoffrey for only caring of this, she could not deny she was the one who placed the idea in his head.

She narrowed her gaze as, from her window, she could see a small party ride up. All cloaked to offer some protection from the elements, they nonetheless had to be soaked to the bone. It caused Ælfflæd to raise her brow - why would anyone choose to travel in this weather?

She assumed they had to be messengers. From her husband perhaps? He might want answers - either to Essa’s death, what was happening with England after Thoræd’s or both.

The answer came soon enough as there was a knock on her door a few minutes later. Ælfflæd permitted entry and Helie greeted her with a bow.

“My queen,” she began, “you have an important visitor.”

“My husband demanding I return to Bordeaux?” Ælfflæd asked.

“No my queen,” Helie said. “It is your cousin, the Duchess of Mercia.”

….

While Ælfflæd was shocked to see Adelise, and still depressed over recent events, she had not forgotten how to host.

The queen greeted her cousin, who, along with traveling party, was dripping from the storm. Ælfflæd therefore ordered a warm bath drawn for Adelise, and had her servants fetch some clothes for her.

The latter was somewhat tricky - Ælfflæd’s outfits were cut too short for her taller cousin, and most of her ladies, even those who were of a similar height to the duchess, lacked her robust figure.

Eventually a compromise was found. A wife of one of the knights was of a similar build to Adelise, and Ælfflæd gave her cousin one of her cloaks to hide the fact she was dressed in the clothes of a lower-born woman.

Once everything on that front was settled, a now dry and warm Adelise joined Ælfflæd in her chambers.

“Thank you for everything Elf,” Adelise told her. “I worry I might catch a cold with how soaked I was.”

“As was I,” Ælfflæd said. “It is why I am shocked to see you. It has been raining like that all day - surely you knew that when you set out this morning?”

“Aye,” Adelise conceded. “My party did not wish to leave the inn. But I told them it was urgent. I had to reach you as soon as possible.”

A chill ran down Ælfflæd’s spine. “What has happened? I know of my father’s passing.”

“I figured as much,” Adelise said. “But it concerns your nephew. He has been dethroned.”

Ælfflæd’s eyes widened. “How?”

“He was proclaimed king,” Adelise said. “But the nobles refused to accept his ascension. It had been in planning for weeks after your father took ill. We all met for the Witenagemot. There it was agreed, first and foremost, that your nephew would not continue as King of England.”

Ælfflæd swallowed hard. “You all agreed. He had no support? Not even Uncle Osmund?”

“No,” Adelise said. “Uncle Osmund felt there was no chance for him to hold on. So he moved to negotiate a settlement with the nobles.”

“So what happened next?” Ælfflæd demanded. “Did they choose Guilhem?”

Adelise sighed. “Well, next came the arguments for who should be king. Duke Sigeric naturally suggested Burgheard, since Burgheard's sister is Sigeric's wife. But Maud refused him - claiming she is a better option due to her Godwin bloodline - a true representative of all of England. And in private lobbied me that she, as my cousin through King William, would never betray me.”

“Maud thought she could make herself queen?” Ælfflæd asked. “And Godwin blood? If that were the case, then Guilhem is a far better choice! Or myself! Daughter of both the last king and a Godwin!”

Adelise nodded. “I did not say it was wise. But that is what she claimed.”

“And what did you do?” Ælfflæd asked. “You did not believe her?”

“Of course not,” Adelise said. “Not while she was running her mouth in public about restoring England to the greatness of the days of the Confessor. ”

Saxon control,” Ælfflæd said.

Adelise nodded. “So I argued for your William of course.”

“But what happened?” Ælfflæd demanded. “Is my son king?”

Adelise sipped on her drink. “Burghead convinced Uncle Osmund to join with him. But Maud’s support vanishing from him meant we had a chance. All I needed was Aevis.”

Ælfflæd’s heart skipped a beat.

“And she aligned with Burgheard instead,” Adelise said. “I could not get my stepfather or Duchess Ælfrida. The latter proposed returning to your nephew as a last-ditch compromise, claiming he would be humbled by the nobles showing the power to choose him. But all it did was split things further. So despite having the support of fewer than half the lords of the Witenagemot… Burgheard was declared King of England. Your nephew keeps Wiltshire and the crown of Jerusalem as per what Osmund negotiated for him - a poisoned chalice, given he won’t be able to hold the latter and the former will likely be reabsorbed eventually.”

1132-England-kings.jpg

1132-King-Aethelfrith.jpg

“And my son gets nothing?” Ælfflæd demanded.

Adelise lowered her head. “I’m sorry, Elf. We were so close. If only Aevis had…”

Ælfflæd sat in silence. All her planning. All her dreams. Everything she had worked for… gone in a flash. She had, in her heart, betrayed her family, for nothing.

Meanwhile, had she been betrayed herself? Aevis was not obligated to support her… but to choose Burgheard over her first cousin…

And Geoffrey. He would be furious. He would not have his son rule two kingdoms. He had lost his lover… what was to happen to her now?

“I think I need to be alone,” Ælfflæd told Adelise.

“I understand,” Adelise said. “But… it is not over yet. It does not need to be.”

“What are you talking about?” Ælfflæd demanded. “The nobles have spoken. My son will not be king.”

“I told you that less than half the nobles back Burgheard,” Adelise said. “Plenty think ill of him and this decision. Even his former ally Maud looks at him with anger now.”

“So will they back my son?” Ælfflæd asked.

“I don’t know,” Adelise admitted. “But we need to give them the option first.”

“How do we do that?” Ælfflæd asked.

“By removing Burgheard,” Adelise said.

“Removing?” Ælfflæd asked. “I have dealt with removals lately… and I have not liked the results. The Duchess of Toulouse is dead because of me.”

You killed her?” Adelise asked. “I had heard she had passed due to illness.”

“She did,” Ælfflæd said. “But why was she in Toulouse to become ill in the first place? My efforts.”

“You cannot blame yourself for that,” Adelise said. “Toulouse is where she should have been to begin with. Besides… now she is gone, she is no threat to your son.”

“She may never have been to begin with,” Ælfflæd said. “Taking lives on suspicion alone… that is the work of an evil person.”

“Cousin, you must realize sometimes it is much better to be safe than sorry,” Adelise said. “Especially with your flesh and blood. And that is why you must hear what I have to say… your son remains in danger.”

Ælfflæd eyed her. “You wish to use him, as my mother-by-law did.”

“She did not speak incorrectly… not when you already knew of an attempt on his life,” Adelise said. “And now I am to tell you that Burgheard does not believe the matter is settled.”

“What do you mean?” Ælfflæd demanded.

“The Saxons eye your husband with suspicion,” Adelise said. “They think he intends to make England his fief. They see his 18,000 men and many thousands of knights and believe it is only a matter of time before he declares Guilhem the rightful king.”

“So they itch for a fight?” Ælfflæd asked.

“They most certainly do not!” Adelise said. “They are terrified. Saxons talk of their great prowess on the battlefield, but they were bested by my great-grandfather and then humbled by your husband’s grandfather. Their success in the Holy Lands when given overwhelming numbers does not change that. No, Burgheard fears Geoffrey. He believes if your husband decides to fancy himself a new Conqueror… England will not be able to stop him.”

1132-King-Burgheard.jpg

“Then what does he plan?” Ælfflæd asked.

“To act against your family,” Adelise said. “I believe he plots against either you, your husband or your son. And means to take your lives.”

Ælfflæd shook her head. “Stop it. Ed would never do such a thing. We have had our differences, but he would not resort to murder.”

“He betrayed your family,” Adelise warned. “He took an oath to your father to honor the Stawell house and tossed it aside the first chance he got. The man is ambitious enough to usurp a crown. You think taking the life of a child he preaches as the anti-Christ would be beneath him?”

Ælfflæd grimaced, almost in pain. She remembered her conversation with Ed years before, when she had returned to England briefly after her mother’s passing. And during that talk, he used those words to describe her son… to know he was speaking those words to other nobles…

“I… I…” Ælfflæd stammered.

“I know it is a lot to take in,” Adelise said. “But know this - Sigeric of Essex comes from England, en route to see you. He acts as Burgheard’s chancellor.”

“Sigeric?” Ælfflæd asked. “Not Uncle Osmund?”

“Burgheard does not fully trust Uncle Osmund,” Adelise said. “He is a Godwin, placing him close to Maud. And he is our uncle. So no, Burgheard sends Sigeric to get you and your husband to acknowledge him as England’s rightful king.”

“Geoffrey… I do not know that he will,” Ælfflæd admitted. “I know he eyes Navarra, and would already be warring there if not for his uncle’s obstinance. But he has grown more interested in England in recent years. I do not think he would dismiss Guilhem’s claim so easily, even if there is no easy route to it.”

“And that will tell Burgheard that Aquitaine will eventually make for England’s shores,” Adelise said. “Think cousin, if he cannot defend his crown with his fyrds, then what else can he do but turn to subterfuge?”

It was a logic Ælfflæd didn’t want to hear. Not just because it made sense, but because it was impossible to prove. It was not as if she could simply ask Ed his intentions, anymore than he could ask her. And even if they did speak, could she truly believe him?

“Then how do we remove him?” Ælfflæd asked.

“We end his life,” Adelise said.

Ælfflæd shook her head. “I will not kill Ed. He was my friend when we were young. Despite our differences… I do not believe he would harm me.”

“You give him more credit than he deserves,” Adelise said. “He would end you. Your family. Me. My family.”

“Except Aevis,” Ælfflæd said.

“Possibly,” Adelise said. “I believe he has promised her Mercia, once I have been dealt with. Whether he truly gives it to her… I am uncertain. But yes, he will deal with us before he deals with her.”

“You seek to poison my mind with tales of speculation,” Ælfflæd said. “To trick me into doing what you want. Just as my mother-by-law did.”

“I offer only a sobering truth, Elf,” Adelise said. “As she did. The die has been cast. You and your family are part of this… whether you like it or not. And short of you renouncing claim to the throne… there is no escaping. Perhaps even if you renounce - kings without crowns can still be quite dangerous figureheads. The only way to protect your son… is to deal with those who would name him their enemy."

1132-Duchess-Adelise.jpg

…..

That evening Ælfflæd slept terribly once again. Her mind could not rest as all the possibilities danced through her head. Betrayal of a friend… who had already announced his treachery? After all, he had usurped the crown from her nephew… and spoke of her child as a demon.

Her son a king? Regardless of the situation, it was true Geoffrey boasted more knights than England. It was not out of the realm of possibility he could press the matter by force… and take it by conquest.

Sixty-six years ago the Bastard made himself a conqueror… could Geoffrey do the same for my Guilhem?

And yet it was not as simple as that. If she made a wrong step, her son would not be king. Instead, he could well lose his life.

Memories of her own imprisonment came to the fore. The nightmare of her days alone, wondering if she would ever see her home again. The sobering reality of realizing the dreams she had as a girl might never come true. The feeling of abandonment, of failure… of resentment toward the father that let it all happen through “poor choices.”

His ambition had been too great. He had not been worthy of the faith put in him by her grandfather, by the nobles, by the church, by Christendom.

All her life, Ælfflæd swore she would not be her father. If somehow given a similar chance to protect her family, or her homeland, she would not fail. She would never let any children she birthed suffer as she had.

Now her ambition had placed her in this position - the dream of seeing her son as King of England. She thought dipping her toe in was all she did.

Adelise has shoved me into the river. She has shoved us all in.

But Ælfflæd frowned at the thought. Adelise may have tempted her. But she did not make her dream. She did not make her agree to explore what it would take. She did not make her agree to let her speak to the nobles on her behalf. She didn’t make her go to Geoffrey and make him start to believe in this dream, turning it from perhaps idle thought to a serious threat.

Adelise tempted me. But I was more than willing to listen. Even as Aevis told me otherwise…

It left Ælfflæd with a harsh reality - if something happens to my son, then I will have no one but myself to blame.

Even with Essa, there was at least some level where she was blameless. Essa was the one who dreamed of usurping. Ælfflæd was on the defensive there - if she had been made to believe the duchess attempted to take her crown, it was because Essa had been laying with Geoffrey.

Here? No such argument could be made. She was the instigator. And any negative repercussions would be on her.

Like it was for my father. With my mother. With my brother. With me.

The next day, Ælfflæd kept mostly to herself, trying to deliberate on what to do. In the evening, she supped with her cousin and ladies, her decision made.

“I am preparing to return to Bordeaux,” Ælfflæd said. “I know not if Sigeric, if he comes, intended to meet with me here. But it is a meeting that must come with my husband present.”

“A wise decision,” Adelise said. “It will mean more if you two are of one mind.”

That, Ælfflæd was uncertain was possible, given all the potential reasons for discord between them. Geoffrey wasn’t the best actor - could he fake it well enough if he were angry?

“I would also like you to come with me,” Ælfflæd told Adelise. “It would be best if Geoffrey hears what you have told me.”

“I also agree,” Adelise said. “I believe we can convince him of the threat that Burgheard poses to you all… and why we must act decisively.”

The words made Ælfflæd’s stomach churn. She took a long pull of her ale before responding.

“We will see what Sigeric has to say,” Ælfflæd told her. “I will not commit to anything until I hear what Ed thinks of this situation.”

“And if he demands you bend the knee?” Adelise asked.

Ælfflæd sighed. “Let us pray it does not come to that.”

But Ælfflæd knew full well if Sigeric did in fact come to Bordeaux, it would. And she would be forced into a decision that would only add to her misery.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The intrigue keeps getting thicker and thicker. The Queen seemingly cannot catch a break. She has her guilt over Essa and to extend her father. Now she must contend with the possibility her son's life is in dire danger along with her life and Geoffrey's. She also has to deal with the unpleasant chance she is being manipulated by Adelise.

Reactions:
Great writing, laced with uncertainty and nuance - as always. :)
“Cousin, you must realize sometimes it is much better to be safe than sorry,” Adelise said. “Especially with your flesh and blood. And that is why you must hear what I have to say… your son remains in danger.”
Yes, I’ve said it before and may say it again: as Adelise implies directly, it’s time for her to harden the frack up! :p

Now her ambition had placed her in this position - the dream of seeing her son as King of England. She thought dipping her toe in was all she did.
Too much self-blaming: the mere act of his birth and heritage put him in the firing line, of this threat and opportunity. It would have happened anyway - so Ælfflæd needs to get with the program - and quickly! ;)

Reactions:
Wow, the Saxon nobility moved quickly. With Æthelfrith only king for six days, all that plotting truly came to a conclusion swiftly. (Kudos to the AI here to follow the story perfectly.)

Ælfflæd faces a difficult choice, surely - but then again, in Bordeaux, she may not need to act herself. If Marguerite hears that someone may have a slight chance of preparing anything against her family, she will act. And then again - wouldn't it be only natural for the devil's brood to fight "the Holy"? (Even if Geoffrey's pursuit of piety in anything but his lust might disagree.)

Reactions:
Hmm, it unfortunate that Æthelfrith was overthrown but on the otherhand it saves Ælfflæd the guilt of dethroning her own nephew. She can also argue that by putting Guilhem on the throne she is technically restoring the rightful line of England(as her son is king Thoraed's grandson) all in all it was a great, and interesting chapter!

Reactions:
so, you are preparing us not for a war in Navarra, but for a war on English fields?...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Assassination is a bad idea. Far better to fight the war against a king with little legitimacy than to chance a strong monarch with a legitimate claim on the throne. Aines...yikes. This is reason 3,154 why her betrothal should be canceled. You really should be able to execute or at least exile count Gui for this. Mind you this actually makes sense in character, unlike some other uses of the seduction trait, Count Gui is relatively young if I recall, and Aines has been disowned by her mother and seen her social status plummet even further. It makes sense that she'd turn to a familiar pair of arms, and to be fair to Count Gui he acknowledged the child as his, unlike Duke Giles. Still, one thing I am grateful to the HIP for is that it seems to have nerfed seduction. If you want to get back at him you could plot to revoke his county.
I think Elf is projecting some of her own guilt onto Marguerite. Sure I doubt she is shedding any tears over Essa's passing, but even she couldn't have predicted the Duchess's death. In a lot of ways, it feels like what Marguerite did with Anges, creating a sort of she-demon to project all of her own faults onto.
War for England would be a pretty risky move. If this goes how William's invasions go in most AAR's I expect years of bitter fighting followed by many rebellions. These would sap Aquetaine's troops and coin, all the while her enemies, especially Alphonse, grow stronger. By the time you're done with England, both the invasion and the numerous wars that will be required to support young Guilhielm on his throne, you may find yourself bordered by several strong and hostile realms. Of course, these threats can be prompted by marriage alliance, Geoffery has one legitimate son, two acknowledged bastard daughters, and a brother on hand to make alliances with (maybe 2 brothers, has Charles returned to Court?). Hopefully, he uses them wisely.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dang, this "Burgheard" has both the looks and traits of some fairytale hero king... I don't give him much of a chance in this AAR :p Dodington sounds a bit like a parody name too, I love it.
The recent chapters have been going all GRRM on my list of favs, but Essa's fate is especially heartbreaking and poignant - after all that scheming and success, none of it means anything in the end. That said, it seems Elf is "working hard" to become Essa 2.0. Time will tell if it's just in body or perhaps mind as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: