• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
a little time tohave some lovers... and a legitimized bastard... look at William! he was a bastard too

Reactions:
Yes, a little time to himself before the war starts anew.

Yes. There will be a new war, but there is be a little break for Foulques in between this time. That won't always be the case for him though.

a little time tohave some lovers... and a legitimized bastard... look at William! he was a bastard too

That exact point... may come up in some future chapters. ;)

Next chapter will be up shortly. As noted earlier, it might be the last chapter to go up until early next week, but we shall see. It's a long one, so hopefully it's a nice feast before a bit of a fast.

Reactions:
Chapter 19 - January 1071
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 19
January 1071 - Paris, France

The spread was magnificent.

There was boar, stag, beef, pork and birds Foulques was not even sure he had ever heard of. Fruits from Italy and Spain. Wine from all over Europe. Ale from England.

And then there was the entertainment. Men who made mastery of fire, making it dance to their whims and even breathe it from their mouths as if they were part dragon.

It is good to be king, Foulques thought as he sat in the hall of the palace in the Ile de la Cite.

The palace sat in the middle of the Seine in Paris and was not the normal residence of the King of the Franks, which was Melun, a little further to the south. But Foulques had heard the teenage king Philippe found its views impressive and wished for it to be where he hosted a grand feast for his vassals, and celebrated his triumph in Mallorca.

Phlippe_feast_1071.jpg

Philippe had emerged victorious in his war, and claimed the former Muslim duchy as his own. It was not the most strategic of victory - Philippe’s levy on the Mediterranean island would need to be transported to influence any war - but it was a victory nonetheless.

Philippe_wins_Mallorca.jpg

Duchy_of_Mallorca.jpg

For a teenager who was not long emerged from a regency, and whose father struggled to maintain control over anything but the Ile de France, the symbolism was important.

Thus, Foulques was not surprised by the effort Philippe had put into this feast. Yet, he remained impressed by just what the king had accomplished - not just in the food, but those who joined him.

Every duke in France was present, even those who did not serve the king on his council. Foulques spied the Duke of Toulouse, also named Guilhem, and Boudewijn, Duke of Flanders, who, along with the Duke of Aquitaine, stood as the strongest men in the realm. Of course, Robert of Burgundy and Guilhem of Aquitaine were present as was Duke Thibault of Champagne.

Toulouse was seated near Robert and Foulques wondered if they discussed perhaps another betrothal.

Toulouse had not remarried since Constance’s death and Robert did have a granddaughter, Helie, though she was no more than 10. However, Toulouse was not an old man and Constance had borne him two sons. So perhaps he could be convinced to wait.

The same could not be said for Boudewijn. The only man who could rival Guilhem of Aquitaine in the realm, and father in law to William the Conqueror of England, his wife had died a few years before, but the old man had not remarried. Still, he also seemed to be interested in Robert’s attention.

Perhaps that had something to do with Robert’s new wife. Imagina was a lowborn girl, daughter of a Dutch knight of no reputation. Foulques thought her attractive enough, but Robert could not keep his hands off her.

Mother would have had to lecture him away from the gallery, Foulques thought. Though, the duke then realized if his mother were alive, there would be no Robert and Imagina.

Foulques took another drink of his wine. Beatritz was enjoying generous portions, as was her way at feasts, but Foulques felt much more forgiving toward her gluttony these days.

“You should speak with some the other dukes,” Beatritz said as she licked her fingers. “That is the benefit to feasts as these.”

“What am I to say?” Foulques asked.

In truth, he was unsure what to say. His dealings with Guilhem and Robert were over alliances - he had a goal in mind and move toward that end.

But here? He had no designs for these men and little to offer in terms of marriage alliances.

“You quickly have risen to one of the realm’s more powerful dukes,” Beatritz said. “They have interest in you even if you have little to say. Your levy speaks well enough.”

Foulques remained unsure. But Beatritz stood up and kissed him on the cheek.

“I am going to speak with my sister in law,” she said. “You may sit here by yourself or you may talk to others. I would suggest talking with others.”

The duke watched his wife walk off and found himself surprised at her confidence. Perhaps it was because she was at a feast where she could blend in, or perhaps it was a new belief brought on by the birth of Agnes. But the duchess seemed more in her element here than he did.

Taking a large gulp of his wine, Foulques pushed himself up. He scanned the room for someone to speak with and settled on Toulouse.

He did not wish to have an extended conversation with his brother-in-law yet and all the other dukes were so much older than Foulques. He and Toulouse were close in age - Foulques was just four years older. They both had dealt with Robert, through marriage, and likely could at least commiserate over that.

He approached the Toulouse as he sat alone, drinking wine from his goblet.

“Duke Guilhem of Toulouse?” Foulques asked.

“Ah, Duke Foulques of Anjou,” Toulouse said. “I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure of meeting.”

Foulques could see the man’s face had food dripping from his chin, though his thin moustache limited how much could accumulate in his facial hair. Though he was not fat, Foulques could see that changing in the future, judging by how many bones were left on the plates before him.

And just to complete the picture, Toulouse let loose a loud belch.

And they think me boorish, Foulques thought.

“Have you grown tired of all the old men in our midst?” Toulouse asked. “Everywhere I look I see men with gray hair, or some with no hair at all! Poor Duke Boudewijn. It is good he has Flanders or else I believe he would never find a wife.”

“I hear you search for a wife too,” Foulques said. “My condolences.”

Toulouse poured himself another drink. “Sad business that. And gruesome.”

“I have heard the rumors,” Foulques said. “That he removed her eye.”

“But part of the horror,” Toulouse said. “She was heavy with our child at the time. Not her time yet, but the fool insisted on his extreme treatment. She died on his table. And then they were forced to cut my son from her womb, in hopes of saving him. Thankfully, he lives, so I merely threw the fool of a doctor into my dungeons.”

Foulques poured himself a drink. He suddenly found himself grateful for Adalmode.

“I have heard you have much happier news,” Toulouse said. “Your wife lives, despite giving you a daughter.”

Foulques chuckled. “Aye. For that I am thankful.”

“As you should be,” Toulouse said. “But I wonder, have you begun to give thought as to who you shall marry her to?”

“She has had her first birthday,” Foulques said. “I cannot look that far into the future. Why? Do you propose something?”

Toulouse shrugged. “My Borel is but months from her age. And my son Guilhem nears his fourth birthday. Certainly not too far apart. As you say, 15 years is a long time, but perhaps it is something we can revisit in the future.”

Far in the future, Foulques thought. Agnes had just come into his life. He would not plot her exit to this boor so quickly.

“Yes, in the future,” Foulques said.

“Guilhem, why do you waste your time with this fool? He has nothing to offer you. And he is in the hold of the Duke of Aquitaine.”

The two men turned to see Robert standing there, with a large leg of lamb in one hand and a goblet of wine in the other.

In the past, Foulques would have had to hold his tongue. But his alliance was no more, the old man turned his half-siblings against him and he could not muster an army as strong as the levy of Anjou.

Instead, Foulques drank his wine and then stared Robert down.

“Then why does he come to you?” Foulques asked. “You offer him… fewer men than the Count of Bourges. For what, a girl he will have to wait six years for?”

Robert’s smirk turned to a full on scowl. “Watch your tongue boy.”

“Or what?” Foulques asked. “You may run to the dutch knight whose child you fondle in front of your nephew, who has done more in three years than you have done in thirty? Perhaps you and your father-in-law can challenge myself and… actually, I believe I can handle you myself.”

Robert threw aside his food and goblet and stood over Foulques. “Do you wish a fight boy?”

Foulques stood up, knocking Robert back with his head as he rose to his feet. “I would fight you here. I would fight you on a battlefield with my army. It matters not. Your time is past, old man. Your bluster only it makes it clear for us all to see.”

“My good men! This is not the time or place for such things!”

Foulques looked over to see the tall, lanky and bearded King Philippe by their side.

“My apologies, my king,” Foulques said.

Robert smirked. “Yes, pity your mother is not around to protect you in, boy.”

Foulques glared at the duke, and had half a mind to strike him then and there.

“From where I stand, you need Ermengarde’s guiding hand more than her son does, uncle,” Philippe said. “You would be wise to remember as my chancellor, you represent the king at all times. Do you think your king appreciates you antagonizing one of his loyal vassals?”

Toulouse smirked, though he quickly brought the goblet of wine to his lips to hide it. Foulques did no such thing, letting the the Duke of Burgundy see the pleasure in his reprimand. Finally, Robert lowered his head and skulked off.

“Thank you my king,” Foulques said. “You saved us from some unpleasantness.”

“I do not thank you,” Toulouse said. “I looked forward to seeing the old fool whipped. Someone needs to do it.”

“I cannot have my younger dukes whipping my older ones,” Philippe said. “They outnumber us by a healthy margin. We would have quite the rebellion on our hands.”

“Let them try,” Toulouse said. He let out another loud belch. “I doubt Robert or Boudwijn could stay on their horse long enough to win a battle, let alone a war.”

Philippe shook his head. “Let me know when your older vassals come and challenge you. I shall like to watch.”

“I will send you an invitation, my king!” Toulouse said.

“If you will excuse me my friend,” Philippe said. “I would have to pull Duke Foulques away. I hope I am not interrupting anything.”

“Nothing Robert had not already ruined,” Toulouse said. He raised his goblet. “Duke Foulques, we must talk again one day soon! I think we have much in common.”

Foulques raised his glass to the duke before leaving with Phillipe. They wandered away from the hall, through the hallways of the palace.

King_Philippe_1071.jpg

“Guilhem of Toulouse,” Philippe said. “Such a confident fool.”

“He has been a problem for you?” Foulques said.

“Independent,” Philippe said. “Thankfully, he is not ambitious. It makes him more of an annoyance than a problem. But I will find a place for him. He is important, as are you - the kingdom must look forward.”

“Forward?”

“Look at that hall,” Philippe said. “Men nearing or past 50. Robert is over 60! They are my father’s men… No, they were not even that. They were petty kings who my father did little to corral. I tire of them already, and I have not been long back in the realm.”

“Robert can grate on even the most patient man’s nerves,” Foulques said.

“Yes,” Philippe said. “But they will not trouble us forever. Their time will pass soon enough. Which is why you and the Duke of Toulouse are important. We are the future. Our time comes. One day soon, we shall remake the realm, and perhaps the world beyond it.”

“You seem to be doing that already my king,” Foulques said. “I must congratulate you on your victory in Mallorca.”

“Ah yes, Mallorca! You missed quite the experience,” Philippe said. “I joined the men as we climbed the walls in storming the keep! Arrows rushed past my head, the shouts of both our knights and the enemies… and then the moment when my feet touched the ramparts. The enemy screaming as he charged, and I silenced his tongue by drowning it in his own blood. I have never felt so alive.”

“That you are still alive after such a battle is providence,” Foulques said. “Assaults on keeps can be fickle things.”

“Yes, I thought you might see it that way,” Philippe said. “I heard you waited the boy out rather than seek glory in Vendome.”

Foulques knew it would be unwise to respond to the barb. Though he was not certain he could - he did not find much honor in it.

“Not much glory, but a county that is mine all the same,” he finally responded.

“True enough,” Philippe said.

The two emerged on the ramparts. Foulques could see Paris in the moonlight, illuminated by torches in the town. It must have been quite the view during the day - he would have to come back here during the day before he departed.

“Where are my manners?" Philippe asked. "I must congratulate you on the birth of your daughter. I did not doubt you, but Robert and Guilhem certainly appeared surprised, from what I hear.”

Foulques looked at Philippe. “You seek to play me against them.”

Philippe laughed. “I am transparent, I’m afraid. But in truth, I know where you stand. Robert is a nuisance you wish to be gone, and Guilhem is a powerful ally you would not do without. We share those opinions, by the way, you and me.”

“It appears I am as transparent as you, my king,” Foulques said.

“About a great many things,” Philippe said. “I have heard your chancellor is in Nantes, where he is making a great nuisance of himself to the Bretons. And I would ask why the chancellor to one of my vassals is in another realm, causing trouble, but then, I am no fool.”

“And I would not hide such things from you, my lord,” Foulques said. “I made no attempt to.”

“So, you think I will be fine with allowing you to start a war with the Bretons,” Philippe said. “Or you believe I cannot stop you. That, I cannot discern.”

“It is the former, my king,” Foulques said. “It would benefit you.”

“You are to tell me you do this for my benefit, and not your own selfish gain?”

Foulques shook his head. “I do it for my gain for certain. But it does not change that you will benefit. If I go to war and lose, you will lose neither men, nor prestige over the venture, and I will be humbled. If I win, your realm is expanded into Brittany, where William no doubt plots to expand his influence.”

“My realm expands, but it falls under your control,” Philippe said.

“It does,” Foulques said. “But would you want a county so far from your own? Mallorca could be a staging ground for further moves into Spain. But Brittany?”

“You would be wise not to presume what your king need and wants, Duke Foulques,” Philippe said.

“Forgive me my king,” Foulques said.

Philippe leaned on one of the stones. “I was going to ask you to become one of my commanders once more, but I know now, my request will again fall on deaf ears.”

Philippe_offers_commander_1071.jpg

“I would serve you my lord,” Foulques said. “But perhaps in a greater capability. I just do not make the request, for I do not wish to come up against an ally.”

Philippe turned to Foulques. His lips formed a sly smile in the moonlight.

“So, you wait to be my marshal,” the king said. “You know I cannot make such a thing happen. As my marshal, Guilhem is kept happy.”

“Perhaps another role for him?” Foulques said. “Advisor?”

“I have given that role to Boudewijn,” Philippe said. “Such is necessary to hold the realm together.”

“Yet, you have no role for me.”

“Do you seek to make trouble?” Philippe asked.

“You know well that I do not,” Foulques said. “I keep to Anjou and never move against you. Not once have joined in any who plot against you. I simply do not serve as a commander. But I am loyal. You have ears everywhere, and you know much about me. Does anything I say ring false?”

“No, it does not,” Philippe said. “You are a man of ambition. But thus far, your ambition does not seem to have affected me, beside to deny me perhaps my most able commander.”

“The day you need me to be marshal, my king, I shall be there,” Foulques said. “Until that day arrives, I shall supply you the men you request. And I shall never support another over you as king. I remain your faithful servant. And… perhaps help you in reshaping the world beyond your realm.”

Philippe shook his head, but could not hide his smirk. “You are quicker with words than you let on.”

The king leaned up off the rampart. “So is your wish. I remain disappointed Duke Foulques. But I am not deterred. I will one day see if your reputation is deserved. Until then, I will watch. It would do well for you to make certain what I see pleases me. I see a place for you in my grand future. But it is not guaranteed.”

Foulques bowed before Philippe and then made his way away.

“Duke Foulques!” Philippe said. “You may not mind being so transparent, but it is unwise when seeking to expand your holdings. The boy in Vendome could not stop you, but the Bretons are another matter. You would do wise to speak with Eudes, brother to Herbert of Vermandois.”

“A Karling?”

Philippe nodded. “They say his religious education has made him a fine ambassador. But that is a mere suggestion.”

“Thank you my king.”

“And yes, Duke Foulques, a Karling,” Philippe said. “I may still be young, but I no longer fear ghosts.”

Foulques chuckled as he left the king.

That had gone as well as he could have hoped. His point had been made and Philippe seemed content to let him be, so long as he gave his king nothing to suggest he would move against him.

Of course, there was always a chance others may seek to the poison the king against him, but that risk existed no matter his status. As long as he kept his head down and made no outward move against Philippe, that likely would suffice.

Returning to the feast, he decided he had enough for the evening and sought his wife. He found Beatritz alongside Duchess Matheolde of Aquitaine and another woman, Duchess Adelaide of Champagne. Upon feeling her husband’s tug, Beatritz bid the other women a good night.

“An interesting conversation, that was,” Beatritz said. “There are rumors the king has taken a lover.”

Foulques shrugged. “What he does in his chambers is no concern of mine.”

“Aye,” Beatritz said. “But what if I told you she was a teenage girl from his conquests?”

Foulques brow rose.

“She is an Andalusian girl of 14. Not high-born,” Beatritz said. “And she is not of our faith! Yet, the king wishes to marry her…”

“Who tells you this?”

“Both duchesses,” Beatritz said. “Their husbands have seen the girl, and others have seen her enter the king’s chambers at night.”

“And he calls Toulouse a confident fool,” Foulques said. “I do not know if the people will tolerate a girl like that as their queen.”

“He likens himself to his father,” Beatritz said. “His mother is from the East. It was not common.”

“But a Christian,” Foulques said. “Regardless of that, speaking of the king, I had a conversation with him.”

“And did it go well?”

“As well as it could,” Foulques said. “He accepted our reasons for war with the Bretons, should we get a claim and even recommended a new chancellor, should I wish it. He remains steadfast in his desire for me to become one of his commanders, but I told him I would only serve as one of his councillors, marshal, ideally.”

“My brother will not be pleased.”

“I did not want your brother removed,” Foulques said. “And told the king as much. The Duke of Flanders though….”

Beatritz rolled her eyes. But she gripped his arm tightly and rested her head on his shoulder. “After nearly coming to blows with Duke Robert? Do I need to be by your side in conversations now husband?”

“No, but I should have you by my side tonight,” Foulques said.

“I hoped you would ask that of me,” Beatritz said as she kissed his cheek.

Philippe_feast_ends_1071.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very nice acquisition in the Mediterranean. I would say turn the Med blue, but I think it's already blue by technicality. :p

Reactions:
A lot going on there. A lot. Foulques bluntness I think served him well with Phillippe. A good think too, since I don't think he could speak with a honeyed tongue.

• 1Love
Reactions:
that was a party... a very lovely party... I wonder what the wife would say when she sees the little bastard of yours... for sure you won't be able to have her advices no more

Philippe certainly is a capable king (helped by the fact that he doesn't need to fear for Heinrich to come for Gent :D) even though he doesn't let old ghosts lie. The future looks like it will be interesting as the new generation is clearly different to the old guard.

Reactions:
I have to say that I rather like your take on Phillipe. He seems to have a natural air of majesty about him, where other kings either try too hard and end up coming off arrogant or allow themselves to be led astray by petty trivialities. I especially liked this little exchange here:

“Duke Foulques!” Philippe said. “You may not mind being so transparent, but it is unwise when seeking to expand your holdings. The boy in Vendome could not stop you, but the Bretons are another matter. You would do wise to speak with Eudes, brother to Herbert of Vermandois.”

“A Karling?”

Philippe nodded. “They say his religious education has made him a fine ambassador. But that is a mere suggestion.”

“Thank you my king.”

“And yes, Duke Foulques, a Karling,” Philippe said. “I may still be young, but I no longer fear ghosts.”

Reactions:
Very nice acquisition in the Mediterranean. I would say turn the Med blue, but I think it's already blue by technicality. :p

Ha! By the way, I would say Philippe shares your plan! Though we'll see if it actually works out.

A lot going on there. A lot. Foulques bluntness I think served him well with Phillippe. A good think too, since I don't think he could speak with a honeyed tongue.

You are correct. Foulques is not one to talk his way out of situations well. And I agree - Philippe clearly wants Foulques on his side. But he'll settle for a duke who is rather clearly not plotting against him. While France looks pretty stable at the moment, but there are many cracks beneath the surface.

that was a party... a very lovely party... I wonder what the wife would say when she sees the little bastard of yours... for sure you won't be able to have her advices no more

I didn't say there would definitely be a bastard. I just said that the thought that Foulques should explore that road will be voiced. (And soon, given Beatritz's age) That said, Beatritz surprised me with a few of her reactions to Foulques' decisions this AAR, so... (my way of trying not to give anything away)

Philippe certainly is a capable king (helped by the fact that he doesn't need to fear for Heinrich to come for Gent :D) even though he doesn't let old ghosts lie. The future looks like it will be interesting as the new generation is clearly different to the old guard.

Philippe certainly looked to be living a charmed life to start this AAR. I've had plenty of Anjou games where the HRE immediately goes for Zeeland. (Granted it's one territory, but usually Philippe starts with an immediate defeat) Having played up to 1099, I can attest to the fact the next generation is very different from the old - they may be too much like the king for his liking. ;)

I have to say that I rather like your take on Phillipe. He seems to have a natural air of majesty about him, where other kings either try too hard and end up coming off arrogant or allow themselves to be led astray by petty trivialities. I especially liked this little exchange here:

Thanks! I do enjoy Philippe quite a bit - more than Foulques appears to based on his relationship score to the king. He'll be very prominent in this AAR for a while as Foulques is slowly but steadily pulled toward the orbit of the king as he grows in stature.

Update to follow. While I'm back from my trip, the next couple of weeks are going to be a pain, since I have some major real life things to take care of. I hope to get at least two or three updates done before then, but I can't make any promises. I do hope these come off well. Had some struggles with what to include and what not, while also debating how to portray certain events.

As always thanks for reading and commenting! It's great to know people are enjoying this as much as I've had fun writing/playing it!

Reactions:
Chapter 20 - May 1072
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 20
May 1072 - Anjou, France

A lone messenger pushed his horse as he quickly made his way down the path.

Louis knew he was pushing the beast harder than was advised. One wrong step could send rider and horse tumbling to their doom. And yet, he could not stop himself. The news was too important. His lord must know.

The sight of the keep in Angers just made Louis push his steed harder as the rushing wind blew his hood off and made his unkempt red hair flow freely in its streams.

The gate opened and Louis charged his horse through. He barely was able to bring it to a stop ahead one of the stablehands.

“Something the matter, Louis?” the boy, Henri, asked as he grabbed the reigns.

“I must speak with our lord at once,” Louis said. “I believe these are matters of great import.”

The courtier hurried up the stairs to the keep and made his way into the main hall, where court was in session. He pushed his way through the small crowd and sought out Mayor Guilhem. Moments later, Louis was kneeling before Duke Foulques and Duchess Beatritz.

“Louis,” Foulques said. “You were not expected to be back so soon. What is this urgent message?”

“There are two, my lord,” Louis said. “Had it been one, I would not have departed with such haste.”

“Two?” Foulques asked. “What do they concern?”

“England,” Louis said. “And Duke Robert.”

Foulques adjusted himself in his chair. “Let’s hear of Robert first then. Has the king finally grown tired of him?”

“No my lord,” Louis said. “He is dead.”

“You jest!” Foulques said. “What felled him?”

“They are uncertain, my lord,” Louis said. “He had been travelling around the realm at the behest of the king, working tirelessly. And there had been rumors of troubles in Burgundy between his new wife, with the child she recently bore him, and his other children. When he returned to Melun most recently, he retired upon arriving and did not wake the next morning.”

Duke_Robert_dies.jpg

“Who rules in Burgundy then?”

“Duke Hugues,” Louis said. “Grandson of Robert, son of the dead Henri.”

“I am certain my half-brother is pleased with that arrangement,” Foulques said. "Hugues would be wise to have someone taste his food from now on.”

There was a small round of laughter in the hall, with the duchess noticeably amused, trying to hide her smile and chuckling behind her hand.

“In any case,” Foulques said. “The old man is dead, and I suspect many are glad for it. I… I did not always deal well with my stepfather, but he did honor our alliance. Rest in peace, you old fool.”

Many in the court, including the duke, lowered their heads made the symbol of the cross across their chests.

Louis knew Robert and Foulques had a tumultuous relationship at times - one that had soured a great deal over the last few years. But it was undeniable Robert had an effect on Foulques' life - whether it was aiding him in taking Anjou, to his demeanor with the king. And who knew what effect this might have on Foulques' half-siblings...

“What of your other news?” Foulques asked.

“William of England is dead as well,” Louis said.

Foulques eyes widened. “What felled him?

“Illness my lord,” Louis said.

William_the_Conquerer_dies.jpg

Foulques shook his head. “So after his many great victories, he dies having not been bested by man, but by disease.”

“There is something both impressive and pathetic about such a thing, husband,” Beatritz said.

“Yes, though I am saddened I never received a chance to test myself against him,” Foulques said. He turned back to Louis. “Robert now rules in England?”

“He does not my lord,” Louis said.

“One of his brothers then?”

“No, my lord,” Louis said. “It is a Saxon. A man by the name of Morcar, Duke of York.”

King_Morcar.jpg

Foulques sat upright in his chair, his expression one of shock.

“How? How did this occur?”

“The Saxons grew united,” Louis said. “As William lay dying, they threatened rebellion if he did not offer his successor was not chosen by the lords of the English realm.”

Foulques leaned against the back of his chair.“I do not believe your tale. William would rather the kingdom be burned to the ground than hand it over.”

“Though it is known William held little love for Robert,” Louis said. “I agree my lord. It is possible it is a story fabricated by Morcar himself. From the Normans I spoke with, he does not appear to be one to be trusted.”

"Perhaps he circulates the tale to make himself seem as a man of the lords," Beatritz said. "Even if he is not."

“What of Normandy then?” Foulques asked.

“Robert controls the duchy,” Louis said. “He is not happy.”

“So the Normans find themselves under the rule of the Saxons,” Foulques said. “Amusing.”

“It is more than that,” steward Guilhem said. “It could be opportunity. If the Normans do not like their new masters, then there is a chance they may rebel. Robert, is, from what I hear, a strong military mind himself.”

“And should they rebel…” Foulques began, “We could attack them and potentially reclaim Maine.”

The steward nodded.

“It would not be without risk,” Foulques said. “The English would view us as their enemies… and they would certainly outnumber us.”

“It would be your decision, my lord,” the steward said. “There would be risk. But it may be the opportunity you seek.”

“There is more,” Louis said.

“More?” Foulques asked. “Are you next to tell me something has befallen my brother-in-law?”

“No,” Louis said. “It still pertains to the Normans. Of who Robert owes allegiance to.”

Foulques paused for a moment. “We speak as though Morcar is now Robert’s liege. But William never renownced his oaths to Philippe. Robert should need to pay homage for Normandy to our king.”

“That is what the king believes,” Louis said. “But it is not what King Morcar believes. He claims Normandy as part of the realm as it was prior to William’s death and no agreement was made to return it to the King of the Franks.”

Normandy.jpg

“Our king must be displeased,” Foulques said.

“I have heard as much,” Louis said. “Though in public he remains as calm as ever. They say when told of Morcar’s refusal to release Normandy, the king merely looked to his advisors for a moment and then to the messenger and calmly asked him for negotiations with the Saxon, hoping to find some common ground.”

“And in private?”

“He raises funds,” Louis said. “For what there can be one explanation.”

Foulques stroked his beard. “Philippe will not rush into war. He will look for an opportunity - then strike. The Saxons should be wary not to underestimate him.”

Louis said nothing. Such talk was more than a common courtier like he could know. He did as his lord asked - nothing more.

“Is that anything else, Louis?” Foulques asked.

“No, my lord,” Louis said. “I hope those messages were of enough import to justify my haste.”

“They were,” Foulques said. “You may go.”

Louis bowed his head and wandered from the hall. He thought after the delivery of those messages, his heart my slow. But it did not.

These deaths had sent tremors through the realm. Even he, a lowly courtier, could feel it.

The question now was not if, but when the earthquake would arrive. And if it would tear them realms of not just the Franks, but also England, asunder.

That's this update. But as a bonus, I said I could not show Ermengarde's stats because I had forgotten to take a shot of her when she was alive - but also when Robert was alive! So here it is:

Ermengarde_final_stats.jpg

So she was brave, wroth, shy - so I imagined she would not mince words when dealing with those she was familiar with (her sons). But she had also grown paranoid in her later years, so I felt her impassioned speech to Foulques about how she was worried about him and all her children, represented that well.

I may do this with a few key figures who pop up in the story but whose traits I can't show because I didn't take the shot before it would reveal spoilers. Especially in the case of things that happen that may seem unbelievable, but actually occurred!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well most portentous news indeed - two very significant deaths. A changing of the guard, in a way.

Reactions:
Seconding that sentiment -- especially as regards King Philippe, it must be a relief to see two of the biggest thorns in his side brought low in such quick succession. If the English succession proves tumultuous, it might even give France some freedom of action, so long as it doesn't have to worry about someone crossing that Norman border with ill intentions...

Reactions:
so... England dies before even born... it has reverted to her Saxon name

Reactions:
Death always causes upheaval - and opportunities. Depending on William's success, England might be very unstable right now.

Reactions:
Well most portentous news indeed - two very significant deaths. A changing of the guard, in a way.

Yes they are. England probably could use William right now in game - given they battle the HRE. I also think that might be a Morcar alliance war, though I don't remember the exact reason they ended up in that conflict. (Certainly helps Philippe though - the HRE is distracted)

And the changing of the guard has begun. Robert was the first, but Philippe was right at the feast - he is surrounded by many old men. It is unavoidable change is slowly happening.

Seconding that sentiment -- especially as regards King Philippe, it must be a relief to see two of the biggest thorns in his side brought low in such quick succession. If the English succession proves tumultuous, it might even give France some freedom of action, so long as it doesn't have to worry about someone crossing that Norman border with ill intentions...

Relief yes, but as the old saying goes "be careful what you wish for." Philippe may not find the going as easy as he thinks with his new lords and this new English king.

so... England dies before even born... it has reverted to her Saxon name

Yeah, Norman England did not get off the ground. William just didn't last long enough to impose real order. But he did win in this game - I've had plenty of Anjou games where he lost his war to Harold.

Death always causes upheaval - and opportunities. Depending on William's success, England might be very unstable right now.
England has a strong king in Morcar - but... he may not be the most popular king. And a whole bunch of English nobles have claims on the crown. So you are right - even though it remains "whole" on the surface, there are cracks just beneath surface. (And that goes for France as well!)

Next update forthcoming. I'll say this right away before you all read - it is another feast with the king. It was not my original plan to have it, or have Philippe feature prominently again so soon, but I felt compelled to explain why the King of the Franks decided to marry a lowborn girl of a different religion who did not even convert! (Forgive the lack of picture for her - I did not have a shot that doesn't include future spoilers, so I will include them after those events happen) Hopefully you find my rationale good enough. If not, blame funky AI (or blame it anyway, I think it's the first time I've seen it outside that brief period when you couldn't marry vassals of the same religion that eventually got patched out).

Reactions:
Chapter 21 - August 1072
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 21
Aug 1072 - Melun, France

This was a mistake.

Foulques looked around him. He should have seen all of the great lords of France present at this wedding feast. Instead he saw the Guilhems, dukes of Aquitaine and Toulouse. He also spied the newly raised Duke Hugues of Burgundy.

But missing were Thibault, Duke of Champagne, and Boudewijn, Duke of Flanders. And there were no foreign leaders.

Foulques was not surprised. There was a reason marrying outside the faith was not done often.

Yet that is what had just occurred. Philippe, King of the Franks, had just wed a girl by the name of Aliyah. She was a pretty, young Andalusian, apparently found by the king while he campaigned in Mallorca. He had brought her back to Melun with him, where he had taken the girl as his lover. Now that she had been made his wife.

A Moslem girl of no-reputation was now the Queen of the Franks.

Foulques said it to himself repeatedly and he could scarcely believe himself each time. Had the king gone mad?

No, he is young, impulsive and filled with confidence. That is reason enough.

“I cannot believe I have seen this day,” Beatritz said as she gulped down some wine. “It is a wonder the Pope has not already thrown the boy out of the church.”

“He has won a war against Moslems in Mallorca,” Foulques said. “And they say he eyes other parts of Iberia. The Pope probably does not wish to alienate an ally.”

“His Holiness may find other allies,” Beatritz said. She narrowed her gaze at the new queen. “This is a disgrace.”

Foulques raised an eyebrow. “I had not believed you the zealous type. And you seemed amused when you learned of his affair with Queen… Aliyah… at the feast in Paris.”

“I am not a zealot,” Beatritz said. “But listen. You could barely speak the words… calling her queen. I will not. If he wants to bed her, I would have no quarrel. But to make her his lawful wife? And raise her above every woman in the realm? I thought it a fanciful rumor when I heard it at the feast. Now that it is truth?”

Beatritz spat to the side. Foulques smirked. It was rare he saw his wife display such passion. He knew she would never voice such things to the king of course, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

“But it is an enjoyable feast, is it not?” Foulques asked her. “Your favorite thing?”

Beatritz glared at Foulques for a moment, before snatching a large leg of lamb and ripping a large chunk of meat off with her teeth, and washing it down with a large gulp of wine. The duke could not resist laughing.

“I may not enjoy looking at his new wife, but his food is delicious as always,” Beatritz said. “And his wine as well, though I fear I shall drink too much to help me forget who now stands above me in the realm.”

Foulques was going to respond, but was tapped on the shoulder. The red haired, clean shaven Duke Hugues was behind them.

“Excuse this interruption, my lord, and lady,” Hugues said. “But I hope to speak to Duke Foulques for a moment.”

“Of course,” Foulques said.

“Thank you my lord,” Hugues said. “And to you my lady for allowing me a few moments of his time. May I also say, you look beautiful this evening.”

Beatritz grunted, though raised her goblet to Hugues.

The two found an area in the hall they could speak in some privacy and sat on the bench.

“Congratulations on your succeeding your grandfather,” Foulques said.

“I would doubt your sincerity if I did not know your previous disagreements with him,” Hugues said. “I will tell you first and foremost, Duke Foulques, I do not wish a repeat of that. My grandfather believed himself a king. I have no such allusions.”

“Then what do you want?” Foulques asked.

“As you do,” Hugues said. “To secure my duchy. And grow my influence in the realm.”

“You sought me out,” Foulques said. “You want something of me.”

“Direct,” Hugues said. “In some ways I appreciate that.”

“I’m finding you much less so,” Foulques said.

Hugues nodded and sipped his wine. “Your half siblings.”

“What of them?”

“I believe my uncle Robert is the man who killed my father,” Hugues said. “I also suspect he plots against me.”

“And what do you wish for me to do about such things?” Foulques asked. “My brother is not in my lands. And I do not think he will listen to my advice.”

“You and my uncle have been friendly before,” Hugues said.

“I have heard he is no longer,” Foulques said. “He eyes my duchy as well as yours.”

Hugues smiled. “Then we share a common foe.”

Foulques squirmed in his chair. He was not comfortable calling his half-brother an enemy.

“If you are worried I will assist him in taking Burgundy,” Foulques began, “you need not. I have no plans on doing anything of the sort.”

“Good!” Hugues said. “And as a token of my gratitude for that, allow me to pass along some interesting information you may not have heard. William of Evreux, Robert’s brother-in-law, thinks highly of you, for both your prowess as a commander as well as your fair treatment of his kinswoman, Lithuaise. As does the Count of Charolais, whose nephew has married my aunt, your sister, Aureade.”

Count_William_of_Evreux.jpg

Count_Hughes_of_Charolais.jpg

Foulques arched an eyebrow. “You wish me to meet with these men?”

“I would not mind either way,” Hugues said. “But I hear you seek war with the Bretons. They both may make for useful allies.”

Foulques stared down the duke before finally shaking his head and standing up. “I tire of this Duke Hugues. I am not a man who deals in winks and nods. If you wish something to be done, tell me or I shall be on my way.”

Hugues frowned before motioning Foulques to sit once more.

“I want you to have these men as allies,” Hugues said. “So that my uncle does not.”

“Even with their help, he will not match me,” Foulques said. “But he may match you.”

“I do not believe my uncle can defeat me on the battlefield,” Hugues said. “But if he does, he would then have my duchy’s levy and his two allies. And he may consider himself a match for you.”

“He would be wrong,” Foulques said as he sipped his wine. “And I have the full might of Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony behind me.”

“For now,” Hugues said. “But I have heard Duke Guilhelm health has begun to decline. At his age, it may not return.”

Foulques said nothing. Beatritz had mentioned her brother potentially having an illness of some sort, though he had taken great pains to hide it from her.

“Robert is no fool,” Hugues said. “He will wait for his moment, and he will strike.”

“And you?”

“And I? I have no quarrel with you,” Hugues said. “Nor you with me. We sit on opposite sides of the realm. Our goals do not conflict. I should see you have allies, while we both have security.”

See “us” have allies, Foulques thought. He was annoyed by Hugues’ lack of transparency when he tried for otherwise, but then, perhaps that is how Philippe thought of him last year at the feast. And like Philippe then, Foulques reminded himself he needed to see the value in it.

“I will see about these men,” Foulques said. “I thank you for your information.”

“My pleasure, Duke Foulques,” Hugues said. “May your own adventures find you well.”

Foulques stood up and gave a slight nod. He did not feel clean after that conversation, but if that was the most unpleasant event on this trip, he would be grateful.

As he was walking back to join his wife, however, he was pulled aside.

“The king would like you to join him,” the man said.

Foulques could not say no to the request and was directed to the raised platform where the king sat along with with his new wife, along with his younger brother, Prince Hugues, and his younger sister, Emma. The seat to the king’s immediate right was open.

Upon Foulques arriving at the seat, both the King and Aliyah stood up.

“Duke Foulques, I am pleased to see you have joined us,” Philippe said. “Let me introduce you to my new wife, Aliyah, personally.”

Foulques bowed before the young woman. It felt wrong, but he knew better than be a fool about such matters.

“I… am pleased to… have meet you Duke Foulques,” she said.

“Thank you wife,” Philippe said. He turned to Emma. “Sister, please take the queen around and make sure she is properly introduced to all the ladies present.”

Emma nodded and took the queen’s hand before leading her away and toward the people at the tables.

“Forgive her,” Philippe said. “She still learns the language.”

“Of course,” Foulques said.

He sat down first, with Philippe following him.

“I do mean what I said, about you coming to this,” Philippe said.

“You honor me by naming me your cupbearer,” Foulques said. “How could I refuse?”

Foulques_becomes_cupbearer.jpg

“I have bestowed honors on most of my dukes,” Philippe said. “Yet it appears a few of them found themselves unable to attend.”

“Unfortunate,” Foulques said. “They have missed a fine feast. My wife sends her compliments on the food and wine.”

“I noticed the duchess enjoying herself,” Philippe said. “It is good to see.”

Foulques nodded. “Did you wish to discuss something with me, my king?”

“I wished to know your thoughts on my marriage,” the king said.

“My thoughts?”

“Yes,” Philippe said. “You are the mystery to me. The others I know.”

“You have asked them?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Philippe said. “But Thibault and Boudewijn are not here, making their thoughts clear. Guilhem does not approve and has told me as much, but is my marshal, so feels compelled to attend. Toulouse hopes it means we will take a greater interest in Iberia, so he grudgingly approves. And my cousin Hugues merely is here because he does not feel confident enough in his place to reject such an invitation.”

“I see,” Foulques said.

“You are the only one I cannot read,” Philippe said. “You have rejected my invitations before, so I do not think you would hesitate if you vehemently disagreed with my decision. But I sense you do not think highly of my choice.”

“I do not question, my lord,” Foulques said.

You question all the time,” Philippe said. “That you claim not to now just proves your dislike of the queen.”

“Would you prefer me to speak freely?”

“Yes.”

“I think you take a needless risk,” Foulques said. “You could have perhaps found a union with the Emperor. Or my wife’s nieces, Aines, securing the support of Duke Guilhem. Instead, you violate the will of the church by marrying a lowborn Moslem girl?”

“I am not surprised to hear you voice such a critique,” Philippe said. “You are pragmatic. Such is your choice in a wife.”

“I would have paid a great deal for the chance to marry Aines de Poitou,” Foulques said. “I did not have that option. That you do and turn it down…”

Philippe looked up for a moment, then out at the people gathered in the hall. Finally he turned back to Foulques.

“When I was in Mallorca,” Philippe began, “I was speaking to one of my knights. Then I heard this voice. So sweet, perfect - it was as if an angel had made its way to earth. I followed the voice, through the camp, until I came upon a tent. There, Aliyah sang in front of a group of knights. Her body trembled - she was no doubt frightened of what they might do to her. And yet her voice never wavered, delivering each note perfectly. I do not know the song, nor the words, but it remains the most beautiful thing I have heard, and she the most beautiful girl, I have ever seen.”

Foulques looked down into his wine. “You say you love this girl, then.”

Philippe nodded: “I tell you that story to help you understand. I know you do not.”

“You presume much, my king,” Foulques said.

“You mean to tell me you love the duchess as I have described?”

“I… think well of the duchess,” Foulques said. “She is a good wife. Smart. Pretty enough.”

Pretty enough,” Philippe said with a smirk. “That does not sound like the words of a man in love.”

“You assume I spoke of the duchess before,” Foulques said. “No, I spoke of another.”

“Another? Go on.”

“It is one of the duchess’ ladies,” Foulques said. “A girl by the name of Alearde. She is a young thing, 16, like the queen.”

Philippe scratched his beard before snapping his fingers. “Yes! I did notice her. The youngest of your wife’s ladies. She is quite stunning.”

Foulques nodded. “Like you, I was in conversation with a someone and heard, not a song, but her laughter. It was delicate, innocent… and when I saw her laughing I was amazed at how beautiful she was. I stared at her for some time, before moving on. I have watched her from afar since.”

“And you have not tried to bed her?” Philippe asked.

“She is one of my wife’s ladies,” Foulques said. “I believe keeping such a secret from the duchess would be difficult.”

“It appears I have misjudged you after all, Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “Though I am surprised you let such a thing stop you. I would not.”

“I can see you would not,” Foulques said.

Philippe sighed. “Duke Foulques, when I sit out here, I cannot unsee all the danger before me. Hugues is ambitious like his grandfather, and likely fancies himself a kingmaker if not a king outright. Boudewijn thinks his son may be better for the French throne than me. Thibault may back him. Guilhem eyes Navarra. Toulouse, Barcelona. You, the Bretons. The Emperor looks to Flanders, though he is distracted by the new English king at the moment.

“This is not news to you. All in the realm know these things. Whether they happen or not falls to me. That is my duty, and I do not complain. But for a few hours each night, I go to Aliyah’s chambers and those problems fade away. As they have every night since I have met her.”

“She could have been your lover,” Foulques said. “While another woman was your wife.”

“I am the King of the Franks,” Philippe said. “If I cannot even choose my wife, what good is my throne?”

Foulques tapped the table with his fingers. He did not agree with the king’s rationale. But at least he understood it.

“I wish you success then,” Foulques said. “I think you make things more difficult for yourself. But it is your choice. I will not turn against you for this, my king.”

“I thank you for that Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. He raised his goblet “And may you have success in your own pursuits.”

….

Later that evening, Foulques spoke with a few others before deciding to retire to his chambers with his wife. When he went to find her, he learned she had already gone to her chambers. Upon arriving at them, he found Alearde there along with another of Beatritz’s ladies, closing the door.

“The duchess rests?” Foulques asked her.

“Yes,” Alearde said. “She needed assistance back to her chambers and has gone to rest for the evening. But if you would prefer we wake her, my lord…”

Foulques knew now his wife was not bluffing when she talked of drinking until she forgot who her new queen was. Not that it mattered - he could still lay with her on the evening.

And yet, Philippe's encouragement played in his head. Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity.

“Alearde,” Foulques said, “follow me. I have a matter to discuss with you.”

“Of… of course, my lord,” Alearde said.

He led the young girl back to his chambers. She followed him in and he shut the door behind him.

“What do you need of me, my lord?” she asked.

“Do you remember the day in the yard a few months ago when I heard you laughing?” Foulques asked. “And I stopped my conversation to look at you.”

Alearde’s face grew pale. “Ye… Yes, my lord. You said though you stared me down, you were not angry with me. Were you false with me then?”

“No,” he said. “I thought you so beautiful I could not speak.”

Alearde’s face went from pale to red in a moments.

“My lord…”

“I will not tell you poems or fanciful tales,” Foulques said. “I only will say I have dreamed about you many nights since. And I would like on this night for it to be more than a dream.”

“My lord… I am flattered, but… what of the duchess?”

“I do not plan on telling the duchess,” Foulques said. “Do you?”

She shook her head. But Foulques was unsure whether that was over telling the duchess or over the prospect of the affair itself.

He watched her, waiting to see her movement. He doubted she would leave - she was a lowborn girl after all. But she may refuse. Or be hesitant. Foulques would not have been surprised if she took a step or two away from him and toward the door, even if she did not open it.

Instead, Alearde took a step forward.

Alearde.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And so the plot thickens, we've got weddings, potential allies(or rivals) and of course our duke taking in a mistress. Looks like Foulques will have to be careful should his wife find out! And I love that story the king told by the way, still a bad political move though, to marry for love. We all know how that worked out for Robb Stark after all....

Reactions:
A King's favour is no mean thing. But love is dangerous, dangerous for the King, dangerous perhaps too for Foulques and this dalliance.

France does not look like a happy realm.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And so the plot thickens, we've got weddings, potential allies(or rivals) and of course our duke taking in a mistress. Looks like Foulques will have to be careful should his wife find out! And I love that story the king told by the way, still a bad political move though, to marry for love. We all know how that worked out for Robb Stark after all....

It needed to be a good story given how uncommon such a union is (in CK2 and real life, at the time)! The good news for Philippe is that he doesn't have a Tywin Lannister-level plotter hanging around his court (and if Robert dreamed himself one, he's dead).

As for Foulques, he will need to be careful. The good news for him is, as you can see from Alearde's stats there, she's not bad at keeping a secret.

A King's favour is no mean thing. But love is dangerous, dangerous for the King, dangerous perhaps too for Foulques and this dalliance.

France does not look like a happy realm.

I was legitimately surprised by how much affection Philippe has showered on Foulques. He clearly wants him in his circle, even if he doesn't have room for it yet. And yes, affairs of the heart can be a dangerous thing. And it will be for some characters in the future.

France is not harmonious. I've tried to represent how it was at the time, with the dukes acting to a degree as petty warlords who pay the king little mind. Philippe has done well, but his powerful dukes who can, do take liberties, as you'll see in the future. Some will be directed outwards... but not all.

Oh my, this gets better every day.

Thanks! I aim to please.

Next update is forthcoming. This included bits from the aforementioned chapter I scrapped, so hopefully it flows together well enough. Also of note, while I have most of two chapters after written out, my schedule will be very much in flux until late in the week, so not sure when those later chapters will go up.

Reactions: