• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Something of an up-down-up day for Foulques.

I can't see the death of his mother making him any more stable in temperament, or becoming a father ...

Reactions:
what a nightmare he had... problem with ambition is that sometimes they have left a little remorses

Exactly. Foulques knows he's not being the most honorable of men and these dreams, while offering a little foreshadowing of what's to come, are meant to show he does have lingering doubts.

It would be very fitting if that nightmare led to a demon child - though I doubt it.

It certainly was a good decision to keep Cholet around, he's far more reasonable than Foulques and useful. And perhaps the duke is better off without the nefarious influence of the old kinslayer.

It could have been a warning of a demon child! But I will say it is not. However, Foulques will not have completely smooth sailing over the next few months, at least personally.

Cholet is certainly the most talented of Foulques' council (though Mayor Guilhem has performed admirably behind the scenes getting tithes) and I'm trying to feature him a little more. They were both on Geoffrey's council so they have some history. And though the game didn't say so at the time (unlike with Renaud), it appears they developed a friendship.

Something of an up-down-up day for Foulques.

I can't see the death of his mother making him any more stable in temperament, or becoming a father ...

The best of times and the worst of times for the duke. And no, I don't think it was good for his temperament at all - and he's going to have to handle some more stress shortly.

Next update is forthcoming. I played around a lot with it, rewriting who said what, who instigated actions etc. trying to get it right. Unsure of how you all will like it, but we shall see. As always, comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated!

Reactions:
Chapter 15 - September 1069
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 15

September 1069, Anjou, France

Foulques sized up his opponent carefully.

Armed with sword and shield and dressed in mail, Foulques circled him, believing him to be on the defensive. He wanted the duke to attack.

He may wish for it, but I shall make him regret it has come true.

Foulques attacked. His sword struck his opponent’s wooden shield with a thud. The man slid out from under the blow and slashed. Expecting that, Foulques was able to evade the blow without blocking it. Instead he maneuvered around his opponent, and slammed him across the side of the head with his shield, sending the man’s helmet flying off.

With his opponent, crumbled to the ground, on all fours, Foulques brought his sword to the man’s neck.

“This round to me, Renaud,” Foulques said.

The duke raised his dull blade and allowed the mayor of Saumur to roll onto his rear. Renaud checked his head, but found no blood. He blinked quite a bit, however, seemingly dazed from the blow to the head.

“Did I hurt you?” Foulques asked as he offered a hand to Renaud. The mayor took it and pulled himself up.

“It stung,” Renaud said. “But I will be fine, both in body and pride. I thought I had you for sure, my lord.”

“You were close,” Foulques said. “On another day, perhaps.”

It had been another successful day of training for Foulques. He aimed to keep himself sharp for when he made his move against Vendome. It was no certainty there would be a war - Bouchaud might surrender without a fight. After all, the boy had no allies. Philippe would not interfere - he was off in Mallorca. All that would happen is the boy count would end up in Foulques’ prison.

But the duke was treating the situation as if the revocation of Vendome would result in a fight. Better to be safe than sorry.

As Foulques and Renaud made their way back to the keep, they thought they heard a strange sound. Investigating, they found Lithuaise de Normandie by the kitchen, sobbing into her hands.

Normally, Foulques would have let her be. But Lithuaise was the woman he went to most frequently for updates on Beatritz’s condition, since as one of her ladies, she spent a great deal of time with her. He had to be certain nothing was wrong with his wife or the child.

“What is the matter?” Foulques asked her.

“Oh!” Lithuaise said as she quickly dried her eyes. “It is nothing my lord.”

“Do not be false with your lord,” Renaud said.

Lithuaise nodded. “The duchess is angry with me, my lord. That is all.”

“Why is she angry?” Foulques asked.

“I do not know,” Lithuaise said. “I wish to please her, but… no, I am sorry my lord. I will do better. It is not the duchess, it is my fault.”

Lithuaise quickly tried to hurry off. But Foulques stopped her.

“Lithuaise,” he said. “I will talk to her.”

“Please do not, my lord,” Lithuaise said. “That will only anger her further. And she should not be upset in her state. I will manage.”

As Lithuaise walked off, Renaud turned to the duke. “Something odd there, for sure.”

Foulques shook his head. “Nothing odd. She believes Lithuaise my lover.”

Renaud’s eyebrows rose. “Is it the truth?”

“It is not,” Foulques said. “But I have not shared a bed with Beatritz since she told me she was with child. It is a sin to do so.”

“Forgive my surprise my lord,” Renaud said. “You usually are not the most pious man.”

The comment was met with a sly smile. “I confess, I am not. I have been tempted, but as she grows more delicate, especially given her age, I do not wish to risk her health or the child.”

“A sound decision, my lord,” Renaud said.

“I believe the duchess disagrees,” Foulques said. “And she suspects it is an excuse for me to bed others. And she has always suspected Lithuaise.”

“I see,” Renaud said. “A difficult situation.”

“Needless aggravation,” Foulques said. “But what am I to do? As her belly grows so too does the duchess grow more paranoid. And the physician, Adalmode, says it is common for women as far along as the duchess is to be ill-tempered.”

Beatritz_is_paranoid.jpg

The two continued on toward the keep’s main hall but were stopped by the Baron de Cholet.

“By your smile,” Foulques began, “I assume you have good news for me.”

“Aye,” the baron said. “By my count, we now have a levy of nearly 2,500 men. I believe we now have enough men to maintain a siege on Vendome should the boy resist your revocation.”

“Excellent.”

“I can have the men at the ready within the week. We can march on the keep at Lavardin and demand the boy’s surrender,” the baron said. “If all goes well, you will have Vendome by the end of the month.”

“We shall see,” Foulques said. “I will look over the plans we have drawn up and see if it is enough if the boy does not surrender.”

“If I might have a moment of your time in private my lord,” the baron said. “For another matter.”

Foulques agreed and told Renaud he would meet with him later. Then the duke and the baron walked to Foulques strategy room.

“What is this matter? Foulques asked.

“May I speak freely, my lord?” the baron asked. Foulques nodded. “I am concerned about you.”

“Concerned about me?”

“In my years of knowing you, even when we were both on your brother’s council, I have always seen you as a true knight,” the baron said. “You would throw yourself into all you do, unwavering, unflinching.”

Foulques could see where this is going. “In truth, I did waver. But I did not show it.”

“Aye,” the baron said. “And now you do.”

“You think me craven?” Foulques asked.

“No,” the baron said. “I know something restrains you. I am not sure what, but I know you have dealt with much of late. And I know you worry something will befall the duchess.”

“And you seek to tell me there is nothing to fear?”

“I am no soothsayer,” the baron said. “I have been fortunate to have two children with my wife - my daughter just a month ago. I will not tell you I had no concern. But I placed my trust God would deliver them safely. It was all I could do.”

“You hid your concern well,” Foulques said.

“I could not shirk in my duty to you, my lord,” the baron said. “As I will not now as I remind you of how much you have desired to take Vendome. You called in favors to gain the right to revoke the territory. You delayed aiding Duke Guilhem and risked your alliance to be ready to strike when the opportunity arose.”

“Perhaps I seek to make sure nothing can go wrong,” Foulques said.

“A wise course, in moderation,” the baron said. “But we are men of war, my lord. We know it is impossible to completely secure any goal by just preparation. Even if you assembled an army which no man could defeat, you could fall while mounting your horse and crack your skull open. Nothing is certain.”

Foulques chuckled.

“You remember I had reservations about this action,” the baron said. “But as your marshal, I set aside those reservations to aid in your plans coming to pass. Your plan is ready. You need not wait any longer. There will be no better time to strike. And, if the boy surrenders quickly, you may take your forces south and deliver the coup de grace on Count Hugues, earning some favor with Duke Guilhem as well.”

It was not a bad plan. The course of the war in the south had swung heavily in Guilhem’s favor, to the point where Foulques’ levy could win a fight with the rebels.

Guilhem_crushes_the_rebels.jpg

Duke_Guilhem_winning_the_war.jpg

“You state your case well, my friend,” Foulques said. “Ready the men. We will make for Vendome once your preparations are complete.”

The baron bowed. “Thank you my lord. It shall be done soon.”

With that decided, Foulques knew he had to deliver instructions to those who would remain behind. While he hoped this would be quick, he had to prepare as if he would be gone for months.

Which meant there was only one person he had to see first.

Beatritz was not alone when he came to her chambers. Her ladies, with the exception of Lithuaise, were present, doing various tasks while the duchess knitted a blanket.

“Leave us,” Foulques ordered. The ladies gave a look to Beatritz, who motioned for them to depart.

“Is something the matter, husband?”

“I have decided to move against Vendome,” Foulques said. “We will leave as soon as the Baron de Cholet has prepared the men.”

“I pray it will not be long,” Beatritz said as she gently patted her belly. “I wish for you to be in Anjou when the child is born.”

Foulques sighed. “If it goes well, I will likely turn my attention south, to aid your brother.”

Beatritz’s eyes drifted away from him before she turned her gaze elsewhere. “I understand, husband.”

“While I am gone,” Foulques began. “I wish for you to rest. The steward is capable. He can handle the administration of tasks here.”

Beatritz’s head shot back up and toward him. “You… mean to let him run Anjou? Did I not do a capable job of ruling Tours in your stead while you fought Geoffrey?”

“You did,” Foulques said. “But I do not wish to endanger you or the child.”

The duchess furrowed her brow and pushed herself from her chair - or at least she tried. It was an awkward process as she hefted herself up the best she could with a fairly large belly weighing on her, as she twisted and contorted herself into an upright position. Foulques did all he could not to grin.

But Beatritz was in no joking mood as got close enough where on her tiptoes, her nose almost touched his.

“Ever since I have told you of this child, you have treated me as a prisoner,” Beatritz said. “You have confined me to my chambers. I have barely seen the sun in months!”

“Do you not have all you need?” Foulques asked. “Food, drink?”

“There is more to life than food or drink,” Beatritz said. She ran her hand on his cheek. “I have other needs, and desires. As you do, though I’m sure those have been taking care of.”

“I have told you,” Foulques said. “There is nothing between Lithuaise and myself. As for your desires, you know it is sinful for to share a bed while you are pregnant.”

Beatritz rolled her eyes. “It is also sinful to be a glutton, which you have called me before. It is also sinful to be slothful, which others have called me. And husband, I have never known you to follow the will of the church to the letter. You often take liberties with the teachings.”

“This is different,” Foulques said.

“Because you fear punishment from God,” Beatritz said.

“And you do not?” he asked.

“I do not pretend to know His will,” she said. “I just know I am lonely. I have not felt your touch in months. I only speak with my ladies and Adalmode when she checks in on me. I trade letters with your sister, and even she has more freedom in Bourges than I do, though she is further along!”

Foulques could see tears welling up in her eyes. While he didn’t wish for anything to happen to Beatritz or the child, he did not wish her to be miserable either. In truth, he had also suppressed his desires, both with Beatritz and with Lithuaise. The duchess was not wrong that he looked at her, but he had not touched her, though he wondered if that might still be more for fear of incurring the wrath of God than anything having to do with his vows.

Still, he could not risk giving into temptation, even with Beatritz, now. Too much was at stake - the revocation of Vendome. The child. Even the fate of a march south to aid Guilhem.

However, he could still throw her something - he did not forget his mother's warning to make sure to keep his wife relatively happy.

“I cannot solve that problem,” Foulques said. “However, I see it is foolish for me to not allow you any say in the duchy while I am gone. I would like you keep the steward close, so that you do not take on too much. Should you feel anything odd, you are to stop and go see Adalmode. Is that understood?”

“Of course husband,” Beatritz said as she wiped her face. “Thanks you.”

They embraced as he kissed her forehead, before giving one final pat to her belly.

When I return, hopefully you have given me a healthy son, he thought as he left her chambers.

Revocation_of_Vendome.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A tricky little domestic discord - I think he underestimates his wife.

Reactions:
A tricky little domestic discord - I think he underestimates his wife.

Yes, he does. Beatritz is smart and ultimately, as long as Guilhem rules in Aquitaine, is far too valuable to Foulques for him to dismiss. Deep down he knows that, I think, but would never openly admit it.

Next update will be following shortly.

Reactions:
Chapter 16 - November 1069
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 16

November 1069 - Vendome, France

Siege_of_Vendome.jpg

“I do not understand what the fools hope for,” Amaury said as he and Duke Foulques stood on a hill, overlooking the walls of Vendome.

“That we waste ourselves against or outside their walls,” Foulques said. “And that if we become too weak to lay siege to the keep, Duke Guilhem’s internal revolt keeps him from aiding us.”

Amaury stroked his beard. “That is… a great deal to ask. Almost praying for a miracle.”

“I wonder if the boy made the decision,” Foulques said. “Or if it was his handlers. If it was the boy, I can understand. He believes it his county, and he knows not what he brings upon himself. If it was made by his handlers… they fools, deserving of condemnation.”

“You remember the letter he sent?” Amaury asked. “It was surely written by a child.”

Bouchard_rejects_revocation.jpg

“Yes, but he may not understand what he does,” Foulques said. “No matter. His fate is decided.”

“It will take some time before the keep falls,” Amaury said. “But you and I understand sieges better than most my Lord. We will triumph here within a few months, I believe.”

Foulques nodded. The quicker the better. He still had lingering concerns about Beatritz – he imagined she must be great with child by now. But he knew his duty was here, with his men, going about their bloody business.

There was also the matter of the revolt in Aquitaine. Foulques hoped the rebels lasted long enough for him to finish aid Duke Guilhem in finishing them off, but the longer this siege lasted, the less likely that became.

The Duke’s thoughts were interrupted when a hooded man ran up toward them. As he neared, the firey, red beard identified him as Louis. He approached and took a knee to the Duke.

“I am sorry my Lord,” Louis said. “But I bring ill-news.”

Foulques heart skipped a beat. “Is this about the duchess? Out with it!”

“Nay my lord,” Louis said. “She remains well, and well attended to by Adalmode, and her ladies.”

“Then what is it?” Foulques asked.

“It regards your sister, Hildegarde, Countess of Bourges,” Louis said. He handed the duke a letter.

Foulques looked over the letter. The words soon lost meaning as his eyes moved up and down the parchment.

“What of this?” Amaury asked.

Hildegarde_dies.jpg

“My sister is dead,” Foulques said. “Died birthing a child. A boy.”

“My… lord,” Amaury said.

Foulques returned to silence as he processed it. His sister dead? Just months after his mother? Impossible.

“Was there any problems before the birth?” Amaury asked Louis. “Answer!”

“No… it did not appear so,” Louis said. “But I only learned of this from an emissary from Bourges. I know the labor was difficult and there were problems… but what those problems were, I cannot say. I ask for forgiveness for that, my lord.”

“What of the duchess?” Amaury asked. “Does she know of this?”

“No,” Louis said. “The duchess was resting when the messenger from Bourges arrived. The steward took the message and insisted we keep it quiet. He did not wish to stress the duchess with such news given her day no doubt comes soon.”

“As I hoped,” Amaury said. “A wise decision.”

“Leave us,” Foulques said. “Return to the camp. I will have instructions for you before you depart.”

Louis bowed his head and then quickly scurried away. Amaury placed his hand on his Duke’s shoulder.

“My lord,” he said. “I am sorry for such ill-news. Your sister was a beautiful woman. I pray for her soul, though I needn’t – I am certain she is with your mother now alongside the Lord.”

My sister was a slothful, glutton who stuffed her mouth full of food and drink whenever they were presented, Foulques thought to himself. But he knew Amaury had always fancied her when the men were teens, and still commentated at how beautiful she was when she visited Anjou just a year before, despite how fat Foulques thought she had grown over the years. He even commented to himself how she was the only person there who might eat more than the duchess on the night of Hildegarde's wedding...

“She reminds me of Beatritz,” Foulques blurted out.

“Your sister?” Amaury asked.

“Yes, who else would I speak of?” Foulques demanded.

“Of course,” Armaury said. “Forgive me, my lord.”

Foulques closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. “Nay, it is me who should apologize my friend. I am of ill-temper.”

“With good reason my lord,” Armaury said.

“At the wedding,” Foulques said. “I thought ill of her. She was angry with how I treated Geoffrey when she came to Anjou. At the wedding I barely said more than a few words to her. I snickered to myself at how fat she had become. And those are my last thoughts of her!”

The duke crouched, head in hands.

Amaury lowered his head. “You did not mean your ill-will my lord. Arguments between siblings happen.”

Foulques picked his head up before standing again. “I must return to Anjou.”

“Return to Anjou? But your troops need you here!”

“I shall return when the child is born,” Fouqlues said. “It should not be long.”

“My lord…”

“My mother’s passing,” Foulques said. “I held reservations about moving forward with this until the child was born because I wondered if perhaps it was a sign from God. Now I receive word my sister, who reminds me so much of the duchess, has died birthing a son, so close to when my wife is due to? Surely you cannot ignore such tidings!”

“May I speak freely, my lord?” Amaury asked. Foulques nodded. “A woman’s work is to bear children. There is risk in it. Just as there is risk when we take to battle. Your sister… sadly fell doing her duty. It does not mean the duchess will suffer the same fate. She will do your duty the best she can, as your sister... has. And you must, here.”

“Duty?” Foulques asked. “I sit here, taking a keep from a boy who cannot fight back. I have forsaken my duty to my brother in law, to my liege, in pursuit of my own ambition. I leave my wife alone while she prepares to birth our child. It is exactly what my mother warned me against.”

“You are a skilled warrior, my lord,” Amaury said. “Where you excel is leading men, crushing the enemy, destroying his walls and routing him on the battlefield. It is your place. Surely your mother, if she would here now, would agree!"

“I cannot abide by such talk now,” Foulques said. “It was not your mother. It was not your sister. It is not your wife and child who may draw the Lord’s wrath for disobedience.”

"My lord, you are not a man of the church.," Amaury said. "I would caution you not to interpret such things – even those of whom it is supposedly their life’s work struggle to make sense of such signs.”

"You will not convince me," Foulques said. "I am not needed to watch the boy's garrison starve. I am needed in Anjou."

“What shall I tell the men?” Amaury asked with a sigh.

“I needed to return to Anjou for a short time,” Foulques said. “I hope to return by the new year. And you have my full trust to operate as you see fit – as you always have.”

“And if the boy sallies forth?”

“Crush him,” Foulques said. “You are more than capable Amaury.”

Amaury gave a slight shake of the head. But if was momentary, followed by a proper bow.

“I shall pray for your safe return,” Amaury said. “And for the health and well-being of the duchess and the child.”

“Thank you my friend,” Foulques said as he began his walk toward the camp. “I promise, I shall see you soon.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Foulques comes to this realisation at a most inappropriate time. To discover a new sense of familial duty so relatively late ... it clearly comes as quite a shock. I wonder what Beatriz will make of her husband returning ... there are so many ways this could play out.

Reactions:
family duties in the middle of a siege? don't think so...

Reactions:
And let us not forget how the talk in the camp will go -- their vaunted lord abandoning them to run home to his lady wife, while they toil under the blistering sun one day and the pouring rain the next, choking on dust and mud, eating terrible food, struggling to keep warm on cold nights, wincing with every new sore and blister as their shoes wear out, never knowing if tomorrow they might take an arrow to the throat or die soiling themselves from some horrifying outbreak of disease. And Heaven forbid that they get caught sneaking off to visit their own families, lest the commanders decide to make an example of them to the others to show what happens to a man who deserts his post...

Yes, I think there may be more than a few unhappy murmurs around the campfires tonight.

Reactions:
Foulques comes to this realisation at a most inappropriate time. To discover a new sense of familial duty so relatively late ... it clearly comes as quite a shock. I wonder what Beatriz will make of her husband returning ... there are so many ways this could play out.

Yes. Nothing like loss to leave you realizing what you may have lost, and what you could lose. As for how it will play out, you will see in the next part.

family duties in the middle of a siege? don't think so...

It would not be looked upon well. Foulques doesn't outrightly tell Amaury to lie, but it's assumed he won't say "the duke left you to be with his wife." It does help that Angers is not far from Vendome. (91 miles according to google ) so he could potentially not be gone long. But I'd also add Foulques isn't necessarily in his best mind at that moment.

And let us not forget how the talk in the camp will go -- their vaunted lord abandoning them to run home to his lady wife, while they toil under the blistering sun one day and the pouring rain the next, choking on dust and mud, eating terrible food, struggling to keep warm on cold nights, wincing with every new sore and blister as their shoes wear out, never knowing if tomorrow they might take an arrow to the throat or die soiling themselves from some horrifying outbreak of disease. And Heaven forbid that they get caught sneaking off to visit their own families, lest the commanders decide to make an example of them to the others to show what happens to a man who deserts his post...

Yes, I think there may be more than a few unhappy murmurs around the campfires tonight.

It's good to be the duke!

Kidding. In a rational moment, Foulques would have realized it was stupid to leave for that reason, even for a short time. But he is not in his right mind at that moment. And he's lucky Amaury probably will give the troops a good reason the duke has left temporarily.

Well, this is a good AAR if i've ever seen one myself.

Thanks! Hope I can continue to keep you interested!

Next part is upcoming shortly. As an aside, I did finally play forward (up to 1099) and some interesting things certainly have happened, including one thing that had never actually happened to me before. And I actually wrote out a scene for later, unrelated to that surprise, even though it won't be appearing for some time.

Reactions:
Chapter 17 - December 1069
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 17

December 1069 - Anjou, France

Foulques rode with great pace toward his keep in Angers. Flanked by Louis and a few knights, the Duke was remiss to stop anywhere as the fear of arriving home to find his wife or child dead pushed him forward. However, even with their pace, it still took them a full day with a brief stop at the inn for the horses, to complete the journey.

Finally they returned to the keep, where the courtiers and servants were surprised to see their lord return so soon, and not at the head of the army.

“Is something wrong?” Mayor Guilhem asked after hurrying down to greet him. “We did not expect to see you back before the siege finished.”

“How is the duchess?” Foulques demanded.

“She… it has begun,” the steward said. “It started late in the evening. Adalmode was alerted, and the nun believed the child’s time to have come. There was some skepticism, but by the morning, the pain in the duchess’ belly had grown considerably and arrived with greater frequency.”

“How is my wife?” Foulques again demanded.

“She is birthing a child,” the steward said. “She is in distress, but I do not know of any greater difficulties. You must ask your physician for that.”

Foulques nodded and started toward the duchess’ quarters.

“Wait my lord, where are you going?”

“To see the duchess,” Foulques said.

“To enter a woman’s chamber while she is birthing a child?” the steward asked. “That is not our place. It is woman’s work. The duchess has her ladies, she has Adalmode and even the local midwife from Angers. She is well taken care of.”

“And I am certain my sister had all the best care a countess could ask for,” Foulques said. “Yet she is dead all the same.”

The steward raised his hand to object but said nothing. Satisfied, Foulques bounded up to Beatritz’s chambers where he pushed open the wooden door to reveal Beatritz in her bed, with three ladies attending to her and Adalmode overseeing matters.

The room was light with candles, and many crucifixes were hung around - something that did not surprise the duke given the Adalmode was a nun. There was a large horseshoe shaped chair Foulques had not seen before - while all the cabinets and drawers were open.

“Husband!” Beatritz exclaimed. Her shock was replaced by a grimace as she clutched her swollen belly and then let loose a shriek.

“What is happening?” Foulques demanded as he rushed to her side. “Is she in danger?”

“The duchess is bringing forth life,” Adalmode said. “It is a difficult process. But a natural one.”

“A natural one which took the life of my sister just weeks back!” Foulques said.

“Your sister?!” Beatritz exclaimed. “She is dead? I had been told there was no word yet from--”

The duchess shrieked again and Foulques was pulled aside by Adalmode.

“We had not told the duchess of your sister’s passing,” Adalmode said. “Your wife is not the bravest of woman. If she heard Lady Hildegarde had passed while birthing a child, I feared it would make things more difficult upon her.”

“It is not your job to hide things from my wife,” Foulques said. “It is to make sure than she births a healthy child and lives to tell the tale.”

Adalmode met his glare with one of her own. “Then you would do best to stand aside and let me deliver this child, as I have done countless times before.”

“How many times?” Foulques demanded.

“Many times,” Adalmode said. “And I have watched over a hundred more babies delivered.”

She stormed past the duke and ordered Alearde to grab a wet cloth and apply it to Beatriz forehead. The duchess was in tears.

“What… what happened to the Countess of Bourges?” Beatritz moaned. “How did she die?”

“I care not,” Adalmode said. “Because I did not treat her. I treat you, and I shall not let anything happen to you or your child, my lady.”

Beatritz screamed once more, grabbing her gown around her belly.

“Is it supposed to hurt this much?” Beatritz asked.

“It means it is nearly time,” Adalmode said. “You are good hands dear. Remember how they doubted me when I said your time was near yesterday? They guess. I know.”

The tears continued to stream down Beatritz face, but she nodded. Adalmode turned back toward Foulques.

“I cannot force you to depart, my lord,” Adalmode said. “But you do nothing but cause commotion in here. If you wish for a healthy wife and child, you should leave this room at once.”

The duke looked around. The ladies, even Lithuaise seemed at best surprised by his presence. A few looked disgusted and a couple even looked fearful. He thought he may have even heard one whisper it would draw God’s displeasure for him to have violated the room as the duchess birthed the child.

Head still held high, Foulques walked back to Beatritz and took her hand. “Be strong my wife. I shall not leave the keep until the child is born.”

“Th—thank you husband,” Beatritz said.

With that Foulques left the room, the door shut behind him. He could hear another scream from Beatritz, and the muffled orders of Adalmode on how best to relieve the duchess’ discomfort.

There was nothing he could do. It was not a comfortable feeling, and it was largely unknown to him. Even with the passing of his mother and sister, both had happened before he was aware. He could mourn them, but he could not rewrite the past.

Here, the duchess was beyond that door. She might be hours away from death… and yet, he could do nothing.

“My lord,” Mayor Guilhem said. Foulques looked up. When had he arrived beside him? Had he always been there? “Shall I instruct the servants to fetch you a drink? Perhaps you wish to look over a few things, to take your mind off the duchess?”

“Nay,” Foulques said. “I believe I shall retire to my chambers and await the news. Fetch me as soon as there is word.”

Foulques turned his back to the steward and walked off, not paying the slightest bit of attention to his surroundings, or the mild panic his sudden reappearance and the sound of his booming voice in the duchess’ chambers had elicited. He cared not anyway.

The Duke closed the door to his chambers, knelt, and prayed.

….

The sound of pounding on his chamber door aroused Foulques from his sleep.

He had found focusing on anything difficult since retiring to his chambers. And yet he longed for his mind to be taken elsewhere from the keep, the duchess’ labor.

It did not seem as though he had slept at all. He did not remember any dreams or nightmares. Just that he could swear he could hear the Beatritz’s screams periodically as he sat in silence.

He had not changed from his traveling attire as he sprang up from his bed and opened the door. There, the young girl Alearde stood before him, her dress stained with reddish liquid. Blood? She lowered her head.

“I apologize if I have woken you my lord,” she said. “But I bring news of the duchess.”

Foulques waited for her continue. When she didn’t, he bellowed: “Well?!!”

Alearde inched back, but recovered her composure quickly.

“It is a girl, my lord,” she said. “The physician says she has a strong cry.”

Agnes_d_Anjou_born.jpg

Foulques felt a sense of relief wash over him, before being replaced by another gut-wrenching fear.

“Is the duchess safe?” he asked. “How is she?”

“She is tired,” Alearde said. “But she appears in good health.”

Foulques made the symbol of the cross across his chest before whispering “Thank you.”

“If there is nothing else you need of me my lord,” Alearde said. “I would like to return to my lady.”

“I will accompany you,” Foulques said.

The two hurried back to Beatritz chamber, where they saw the duchess, her eyes bloodshot, her hair a sweaty, tangled mess and her face tired. But in her arms was the child.

“A daughter?” Foulques asked. “Let me see her.”

Beatritz nodded and handed the swaddled newborn over. “I know you wished for a son, husband…”

Foulques did not say anything. He simply stared at the small thing, pink, and seemingly so delicate. It seemed one wrong move could break the girl permanently.

And then she cried.

A loud wail, relative to her size. Foulques did not think this small child capable of producing such a sound, but it was strong, as promised.

“She wishes to be fed, no doubt,” Adalmode said.

Foulques smiled. “She is strong-willed. Takes after her father.”

He handed the child back to Beatritz, and then kissed his wife on the forehead. The duchess returned the affection with a smile and let loose a sigh as she brought her newborn to her breast.

"She is so pretty," Beatritz cooed.

“I… have to attend to matters,” Foulques said. “But I will return to you before I depart for Vendome.”

“Of course husband,” Beatritz said. As Foulques turned to leave she called out to him. “I am glad you returned. I was frightened when I saw you, but I believe it was for the best.”

The confirmation felt nice as Foulques wandered the keep. He had wanted, no, expected a boy. Yet he had ended up with a girl, which did not fully solve the issue of the lands passing from his family eventually. It should have disappointed him.

But the fact that the child was healthy, as was Beatritz, proved far more joyous to him than any disappointment over the child’s sex. He had spent months worrying, fearing the worst. And instead it had turned out well.

It wasn’t perfect. But it didn’t need to be.

Fouqlues_loses_envy.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
almost a hundred miles was a very respectable distance back at those times of yore... anyway, congratz on the new heiress hehehe...

Reactions:
Foulques is having a revolutionary experience. What a difficult thing for him to face, knowing all that he knows.

I do believe his daughter already has him firmly under her control.

Reactions:
Yet another character-forming circumstance. Foulques might do well not to forget his plans, or the past will rear its ugly head once again.

Reactions:
almost a hundred miles was a very respectable distance back at those times of yore... anyway, congratz on the new heiress hehehe...

Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was nothing. Just that it was doable for someone who was determined, which Foulques was in this case. He will be doing things in the future that are nearby to Anjou, but usually won't be returning in those circumstances.

And yeah, the heiress, which is nice but I will repeat I have turned matri-marriages off. So... the House d'Anjou is not out of the woods yet. And will never be completely out of the woods, unless I go to elective.

Foulques has a daughter, and a new outlook on life. May he enjoy this island of tranquility while it lasts.

While it lasts, is correct. Things will become stormy again for the duke in the future. How soon, I can't say.

Foulques is having a revolutionary experience. What a difficult thing for him to face, knowing all that he knows.

I do believe his daughter already has him firmly under her control.

I obviously do not want to spoil, but his daughter will be playing a very major role in Foulques' life in the future. She certainly seems like she wants a leading role! (Can't say whether she'll get one though)

Yet another character-forming circumstance. Foulques might do well not to forget his plans, or the past will rear its ugly head once again.

Oh you do not know how right you are. I have not set out to tell a story where doing bad/selfish things gets a character bad results, but the game may be trying to send that message! Let's just say Foulques does not stay on the straight and narrow forever, and some of his... selfish/sinful decisions lead to some very dire consequences for at least some of the people involved. Not all, but definitely some. I'd call one series of events that happen a bit in the future downright tragic for everyone involved.
(How's that for a teaser of things to come? ;))

This is interesting.

Thanks. I was concerned these last three chapters wouldn't work well, but I'm glad you liked them!

While I would normally not post the next part yet, I'm going away this weekend so my normal posting schedule may be upset if I can't get everything I need squared away before I leave. So I'm aiming for this part now and then another to go up around a day later. Then might be four or five days before the next part.

As always thanks for the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 18 - July 1070
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 18

July 1070 - Anjou, France

Foulques d’Anjou sat perched in his ducal chair in Anjou.

The court remained on each side of the hall with some knights interspersed, while a pair of men dragged a small boy forward. Though he was not in irons, he was just as unable to resist, as he would stand no chance against two full-grown men.

Upon reaching the chair, one of the men forced the boy to his knees.

“Count Bouchard,” the man said.

Foulques stood up and approached the boy. He could see dried tears on his face. It wasn’t a huge surprise - the boy was a mere five years old.

“Do you understand you have defied your lord?” Foulques asked.

The boy didn’t seem to fully comprehend the question. Instead the tears began to flow again.

Foulques sighed. Perhaps it was because he had just become a father, but this did not feel good.

“Take the boy away,” Foulques said. “I will decide his fate later.”

The knights grabbed hold of the Bouchard and led him away, his wimpering echoing in the relatively silent hall.

Letting loose another sigh, Foulques dismissed his knights and ordered his council to follow him his strategy room.

After the birth of his daughter, who had now been named Agnes, Foulques had returned to his army - he was gone less than a week. The siege of the keep in Vendome continued, with the defenders not confident enough to sally forth. In June, the keep surrendered. Foulques then turned his attention to the town of Lavardin, which fell with ease in just over a month’s time.

Victory_at_Lavardin.jpg

After that the boy’s advisers knew they were beaten. They negotiated the surrender to Foulques, handing the boy over for him to be presented in that show moments before - a show that seemed good when it was proposed, but now felt dirty.

“That boy knew not what he was doing,” Foulques said as he leaned forward the large table. “I am not sure why ever thought him capable. He is too young.”

“I agree,” Mayor Guilhem said. “But… the situation is as it stands. We must decide what to do with him.”

“He is a child,” Foulques said. “He is no threat. A child his age has never hurt anyone.”

“Agreed,” Adrien the spymaster said. “But he will not be a child forever. And men have long had the ability to hurt. And scheme.”

Foulques lowered his head. “You mean me to kill him?”

“Nay, my lord,” Adrien said. “But he should be locked away in your dungeons, where he will be no threat.”

“That is hardly much better,” Bishop Ebbon chimed in. “To throw him into a cell, he shall see no sun, nor interact. What kind of man would he grow up to be?”

“It will matter not,” Adrien said. “Because he will never leave your cell.”

The duke pushed himself off the table and paced around the room.

“So I may as well deprive him of life,” Foulques said. “Baron de Cholet? Your opinion?”

“If you release him, he may be grateful,” Cholet said. “But he will never forget you usurped his county. And he will not believe it just.”

“A show of strength,” Mayor Guilhem started, “may be necessarily as well. Some have whispered of your decision to return during the birth of your daughter, leaving your men behind.”

“Are those men you?” Foulques asked.

“I would not,” the steward said. “But it was unusual. And when the unusual occurs, people will talk. That your daughter and the duchess are healthy aids in matters but…”

“Your point?”

“Locking the boy away,” the steward began, “Would show your will is not to be defied. But it would also suggest mercy - you could kill the boy, but you do not. A measured show of strength would be wise.”

Foulques turned to chancellor Guillaume. “Your thoughts?”

“It may seem cruel, but… your first duty is to yourself and your family, my lord,” Guillaume said. “Eventually Bouchard may strike if let free. Not only against you, but against your daughter as well. I am certain the duchess will not want the boy free.”

The mere thought of it caused a knot to form in Foulques stomach. He would protect Agnes at all cost. Even if he would hope in a similar situation she would be shown mercy, he knew it would be prudent for anyone in his position not to.

“Very well,” Foulques said. “The boy will be held in my dungeon in here, away from any possible supporters.”

“It is the wisest course of action, my lord,” the steward said.

Foulques rubbed his eyes. “This meeting is adjourned. You may go.”

The council all departed with the exception of the baron.

“Do not dwell on such things,” de Cholet said. “We must look forward. You have achieved your goals! The whole of Anjou is under your direct control. With that your levy grows larger. Soon, you may be able to match all but Duke Guilhem.”

“True enough,” Foulques said. “I shall not waver.”

“I know that well enough, my lord,” the baron said as he departed.

Foulques closed his eyes and tried to force the child’s fear and sadness from his memory. If such things were the price of his ambition, it would a price he had to pay.

Mother and Hildegarde likely frown, he thought.

He left the strategy room and made his way up to the duchess’ chamber. She had what he wanted in her arms, their daughter Agnes.

The babe was suckling from her mother’s breast, or had been, as she had drifted off to sleep. Beatritz handed Agnes over to her husband with a smile, though Foulques did not reply with one of his own.

“You were right not to want to see the boy,” he said.

“I am thankful you are strong for both of us, husband,” Beatritz said. “You have done what needed to be done then?”

“He is locked away,” Foulques said. “I did not kill him, but I shall not set him free.”

Beatritz sighed before dropping her head and whispering a prayer.

“I have some private matters to discuss with you husband,” she said. “Though it can wait if you wish to hold our daughter longer.”

Foulques gave the sleeping girl another look over, admiring how she seemed to have inherited his brown-ish red hair, before handing her back to Beatritz. The duchess then gave her to Alearde, who took the child away.

Beatritz produced a letter. “From my brother. He congratulates you on your victory.”

Foulques poured two cups of wine. “I can hear his voice now, mocking me as he reads it, for defeating a child in war.”

Beatritz smirked as she took the cup. “Perhaps. But he may well be happy these days. He has crushed Count Hugues and your poor step-sister’s unlucky fate has solved his other concern.”

Foulques sipped his wine. The rebellion in Aquitaine had ended a few months before, with Count Hugues now locked away in the duke’s dungeons. Foulques had regrettably not been able to send his troops to the south, in time, though the duke had seemingly understood.

Guilhem_wins_war_in_Aquitaine.jpg

Perhaps it was because not only had he dealt with the rebellion, but one of his potential threats had been weakened, at least temporarily.

The alliance between the Duke of Toulouse and Robert in Burgundy was no more. Foulques’ step sister Constance had died - though it had supposedly been an unfortunate matter.

She had taken ill with fever. While it was rumored to be nothing more than the flu, the court physician believed the solution was relieving the pressure around her face. The procedure had cost Constance her eye, and, perhaps ultimately, her life, though in the end, it mattered not. She was gone, having given the Duke two sons, but no longer provided the alliance Guilhem feared.

“Is your brother the only matter you wished to discuss?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Beatritz said. “There is the matter of where to turn your focus next.”

“I desire Maine,” Foulques said. “But William has held the Saxons in check. There has been no rebellion.”

“Yes, which is why you must forget about it for now,” Beatritz said. “Instead, look to the west.”

Foulques’ brow rose. “You mean to suggest I attack the Bretons? They would be a more difficult foe than what I would find here in the realm. Bourges would be a more appealing target. And now that my sister… no longer is the countess, I shall have no hesitation.”

“That is true, husband,” Beatritz said. “But there is another factor to consider - King Philippe.”

“What of him?”

“His war in Mallorca goes well,” Beatritz said. “I have heard some he has already won. If not, he is close.”

Philippe_winning_his_war_for_Mallorca.jpg

“That is fine for him,” Foulques said. “Let him have his duchy in the sea. It is far enough it does not concern me.”

Beatritz sighed. “Husband, this is a young king who will have tasted victory in his first war. He will return the toast of the church for vanquishing Muslims. He will have earned the respect of some of his subjects for his victory. He may not be much stronger in men, but in belief he may think himself a giant.”

“Then he will be in for a rude awakening,” Foulques said.

The duchess rolled her eyes. “You sound like Robert. And at least he has royal blood in his veins.”

“What is your point, woman?” Foulques asked.

“The king will not like another vassal growing strong,” Beatritz said. “Especially one who has defied him in the past. Rest assured, he will favor Etienne retaining his county to you taking it.”

“I have your brother’s alliance,” Foulques said.

“Which is useful,” Beatritz said. “But does not completely save you from the king’s ire if you draw it.”

Foulques sighed. “How does attacking the Bretons stop me from drawing the king’s ire? I would be one of his dukes going to war on a duchy that pays homage to no liege. Would that not insult him?”

Beatritz shook her head. “He may not like you feeling bold enough to attack. But what king would dislike his vassals expanding the realm? You assume all the risk and the King of the Franks gains another county by which to call his own. And you do desire Nantes, do you not?”

He did. And Beatritz did make good points. But Foulques had largely been careful to avoid fights with enemies stronger than him. Challenging the Bretons was not the same as challenging William - but it would put him, at best on even ground. With Duke Guilhem he would have an advantage, but that was if the Duke took part. And given Foulques’ actions in the rebellion, that was no guarantee.

Still, Nantes was appealing. And moving into Brittany would potentially check William, who also had interests in the region. And that latter not only would serve Foulques well, it would also be an incentive for Philippe to approve of the action.

“Very well,” Foulques said. “I will send Guillaume to Nantes. Hopefully he can secure us reason to take the county.”

Beatritz smiled and gave her husband a tight embrace. She had been placated by his decision to allow her to run the duchy while he attacked Vendome, and been pleased he had returned home for the birth of Agnes. Those acts had thawed their relationship a bit, and this would obviously help matters along further.

After all, despite being very happy at having a daughter, Foulques had not entirely given up hope for a son. Beatritz was nearing the end of her childbearing years, but there had been women in the past who had managed to have children past her age.

Still, some of his advisers had suggested he begin to make plans should it become clear Beatritz did not give him a son. Adrien led that charge, but even Mayor Guilhem and the Baron de Cholet had hinted at needing to entertain the possibility of taking other actions.

But Foulques did not need to concern himself with that today. Guilty conscience or not, he had all of Anjou. The first stage in his ambition was met. Tonight, he could look at pride at what he had accomplished in his duchy.

Tomorrow, he would look toward Brittany.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yes, a little time to himself before the war starts anew.

• 1Like
Reactions: