• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As supportive as I am of the idea of Agnes reclaiming some well-deserved dignity and twisting the knife in Gilles (damn shame you haven't managed to take him out yet. In my games, whenever I caught AI characters messing around with my daughters, I drop everything and ensure I make the offender's lives miserable and short), I'm somewhat put off by the Duchess' manipulative means of both Agnes and Alearde. Might be more personal than anything, but something about it just makes me shiver and throw up red flag after red flag. We shall see how this pans out, though...

Congrats with the ACAs! A well-deserved second-place, if I do say so!

Reactions:
Aines plotting to improve her step-daughter's lot, her husband's and ultimately her own by possibly ruining the reputation of her husband's former lover. Talk about a win-win.

That's certainly her goal. She's sending Alearde to the wolf, so to speak, in hopes of seeing her devoured. Will it work?

Well. Finally got caught up. The new family dynamics are going to make the next few chapters entertaining to say the least. Such a huge change. Grats on second place, it is very well deserved.

Yes, Aines has upset the balance that existed before, which was inevitable. I enjoy her, and the major points in her story almost wrote themselves. But these points that fill in the gaps in those moments are essential, so hopefully I've done her justice.

Thank you for that compliment!

Another great update, and good to see scheming women. We often forget the Middle Ages had powerful, and even conniving, women who were a fixture in Medieval politics.

Yeah, I will likely try to maintain the presence of some women in this narrative, because they were important, even if many worked behind the scenes so to speak. There appear to be no shortage of those stepping up to aim to fill the role either - as you'll continue to see.

Phew! Finally caught up! :) Took some days to read through all of the work. You are almost as bad as I am with such a furious update pace (read:that's a good thing. ;) )

Of course, great dialogue as it has been since the beginning. I thought your battle scenes were top notch, especially the face off with the Saxons in Normandy. You sketch the characters well, though I really must applaud your core four. I felt a tear when Beatriz died. And while Foulques is a complicated man, his motivations are perfectly sound (well, outside of that bit of murdering a man to marry his wife.) Geoffrey is starting to come into his own but it is really Agnes that is starting to shine. Such an unusual situation for a young woman of this time - of age and still not married, birthing a bastard child and now considered a murderer. Now that's complicated. Well done.

I have to say I was disappointed that Morcar was not able to feature more when it was his time, but he did not give you enough time on the throne of England to matter much. And I suppose my Eadgar (if still alive in this timeline) is off in the wilds of Scotland somewhere, or even in the far east. As a hint should you wish to feature Saxons in the work again (though likely not since Normandy is back in French hands) you can use the codes alt145 and alt146 to get the æ and Æ into those Saxon names.

All in all, a masterful work. I tried to keep current early but fell behind. However, now that I am fully caught up I shant be making that mistake again. This remains one of my favorite AARs on the forum and for good reason! Great to see so many enjoying it. You deserve it for your fine work.

I am glad you're caught up and honored you're enjoying it thus far. It's interesting you mention Agnes - who I did not intend to do much with but forced herself into the action by having a bastard and taking the co-conspirator role in Adhemar's murder in short succession. But she's made her presence known, so she'll be around going forward. But I've loved all of the inner family, so to speak. Beatritz I felt went on a journey from bit character to important. Agnes has to a degree and Geoffrey is going to be central to events going forward.

Being inspired by your AAR, I really did hope to see some of the characters from it shine in an alternate timeline, as it were. Morcar being murdered I thought was funny, given how you sent him out in the Rightful King. Had he stuck around, he would have potentially been very involved with the storyline - I am trying to eventually take a shot at forming the Angevin Empire. ;)

Eadgar is actually not in Scotland. He's in Somerset and made a bishop. He's still going strong as of this point in the story:

1088_Bishop_Eadgar.jpg

I briefly hoped he was the one leading the armies against Foulques and Philippe at Rouen, but no such luck. :(

Thank you for that information on how to do the Saxons names. The Saxons are not playing a big role now, but this isn't the last we've seen of them.

And of course, thanks for the inspiration and support!

As supportive as I am of the idea of Agnes reclaiming some well-deserved dignity and twisting the knife in Gilles (damn shame you haven't managed to take him out yet. In my games, whenever I caught AI characters messing around with my daughters, I drop everything and ensure I make the offender's lives miserable and short), I'm somewhat put off by the Duchess' manipulative means of both Agnes and Alearde. Might be more personal than anything, but something about it just makes me shiver and throw up red flag after red flag. We shall see how this pans out, though...

Congrats with the ACAs! A well-deserved second-place, if I do say so!

Gilles is a pain. My regret is that I did not go hard after him right away - there were reasons for it - but after writing this, I really wanted payback. That said, wounds like this are not forgotten...

I've painted Aines as manipulative and ambitious. It is certainly dangerous to those around her if they aim to stand in her way. Alearde simply is a loose end she's attempting to take care of in her own way. I would not call it good... I would just say, I can't imagine she would allow that loose end to dangle. But there are further twists in her story coming. And coming soon.

Thanks on the congrats! I am glad you have enjoyed it thus far!

The next update follows in a little bit. As mentioned above, while this story arc has written its own highlights, the areas in between require something else to make sure those highlights stand out. So this chapter took a little while to find, what I hope is, the right balance. Things are happening, and again, happening quickly.

Thanks again for all the support from those of you who comment. And also thank you for those who lurk but have taken the time to read through this thus far. It's a lot to digest, and I appreciate all those who have done so! Happy reading!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I must confess I "cheat" when it comes to Saxon names. Having set my pc to use a Danish keyboard layout so I get æ for free (and ø and å).

Reactions:
A ginger and a priest? That's not my Eadgar. But as I read, you might use a good court chaplain...mayhap invite the good man to your court. ;)

Chapter 60 - March 1089
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 60
March 1089 - Anjou, France

Is this what Adhemar saw before his end?

Foulques wondered that as he stood alone just outside of an inn. It was not abandoned - visitors along the road to Anjou had stopped here as well. But it evoked memories nonetheless.

It did not help that he knew that his purpose here had similar intent.

That is why he stood in the near-darkness, the moonlight providing what little illumination there was. He travelled from Melun with a large enough party - Amaury and his knights, plus Geoffrey and Aines. His wife had come near the start of the year from Anjou, and he had enjoyed a blissful four months with her.

She had enjoyed life at court, commenting how she could grow used to such things. Foulques knew she most loved being revered as the duchess of one of the most powerful duchies of the realm - something Aines had long viewed as her proper destiny.

And Foulques had his beautiful wife, one who was eager to produce a child for him. It showed well enough - whereas before he would have missed Alearde, Aines gave him as much as he could handle.

It was not just Alearde either, that left him in good spirits. Philipp of Champagne provided a good time, drinking, discussing matters of the realm. The king would join them at times, as would Hugues of Burgundy and, rarely, Boudewijn. But mostly, Foulques and Philipp relaxed with alcohol and traded stories and court rumors gained from their respective wives.

However, as enjoyable as the last few months had been Foulques knew he had to return to Anjou for a few months a year. He could not leave it to Aines and Guilhem, especially as Aines spent much less time in Anjou than Beatritz did.

But she, nor Geoffrey, could not know of this meeting. A chilly late March evening, the duke had but his cloak and a large cup of wine to keep him warm. Neither did the job against a biting wind that came too frequently for his taste.

A hooded figure approached and stood beside him. Foulques sipped his cup of wine. This was the messenger Philipp had suggested he meet after one of their more recent discussions.

“I thank you for meeting with me.”

The voice was was feminine, but deeper. An older woman, who was revealed as she dropped her hood.

“Do you come of your own accord?” Foulques asked. “ Or is this for your son?”

Sibila de Barcelona did not look at Foulques when she replied. “I come for neither Duke Hugues, nor for my former brother by law, Philipp of Champagne. I come for the betterment of the realm.”

“I hear that a great deal these days,” Foulques said. “It is good to hear we have so many good souls who take interest in it.”

“You scoff,” Sibila said. “But are you not angry over the king bypassing your claim on Maine?”

Foulques did not respond.

1089_Sibila_de_Barcelona.jpg

“Your silence speaks volumes,” she said.

“You wished to meet with me for something,” Foulques said. “What is it?”

“We look for aid in… removing the threat to the realm,” Sibila said.

“The king?”

“I do not name names,” Sibila said.

“And you plan to revolt?” Foulques asked.

“We will not,” Sibila said. “There are other ways to make change. One man removed. His young son in his place, who should be far more malleable.”

An understatement, if that were possible, Foulques thought. Should Philippe be killed, his son Alphonse would come to the throne. The designated regent? Hugues of Burgundy. He would be de facto king of the realm.

“And what would that son think on the Maine question?” Foulques asked.

“You know I can make no guarantees,” Sibila said. “But the boy is not possibly the son of Satan himself. Certainly a good thing, do you not agree?”

Foulques chuckled. “I am not a religious man, my lady. Nor do I think a lustful choice made as a young man makes one the spawn of the devil. I care most about what is rightfully mine. What can you promise of that?”

Sibila lowered her head. “You would be looked at with greater favor however and such things can go a long way.”

“Promises can go even further,” Foulques said.

“I can lie to you if I wish,” Sibila said.

“And I you,” Foulques said. “So it appears we are at an impasse.”

Sibila chuckled. “Understood, Duke Foulques. Then I shall retire for the evening. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.”

“Likewise, my lady,” Foulques said.

And with that she was gone, leaving Foulques to ponder whether he needed to take the ultimate step with his liege.

He had much to ponder.

….

A scream echoed through the keep in Angers. It was enough to get Foulques, Mayor Guilhem and Geoffrey to stop their conversation and look up, first at one another and then toward the door of the duke’s chamber.

Foulques shook his head. “Women’s work, they say.”

“Do you think her all right?” Geoffrey asked.

“Does it matter?” Foulques asked. “You did not put the bastard in her belly.”

1089_Ermengarde_has_bastard.jpg

Geoffrey looked down, before again looking back toward the door.

“Adalmode has done masterful work with this before. I am certain Ermengarda will be fine,” Guilhem said. “And that Aubry would appreciate your concern for his mother.”

Foulques raised an eyebrow. That was enough to concern his son?

Such compassion was admirable for one’s friends and family - but there had to be limits. Caring too much for the extended family of your friends was probably a bridge too far.

“You would be wise to focus on our discussion,” Foulques said as he looked to Geoffrey.

“The matters of the duchy are settled, are they not?” Geoffrey asked.

“Unfortunately, no,” Guilhem said. “The measles outbreak that began in Normandy has now spread to Anjou proper.”

1089_Measles_Epidemic.jpg

“What are our options?” Foulques asked.

“There is not much we can do for the people,” Guilhem said. “But we could close the keep and hope to prevent it from spreading here. The people will not care for it of course - especially if the death toll is high.”

Foulques stroked his beard. “What would you do, Geoffrey?”

“I… I would keep the gates open,” he said. “The people need strong leadership during a difficult time.”

A chuckle escaped Foulques lips. Naive.

"You find my answer funny, father?" Geoffrey replied.

“In times of crisis, the people turn to prayer,” Foulques said. “Meanwhile, while you conduct business as normal, you risk yourself and your family.”

“But the people will suffer,” Geoffrey said.

“The people will suffer regardless,” Foulques said. “Nothing changes to them, whether or not the gates are open are closed. But the people in this keep? They are affected. You, myself, your sister, the duchess, your future wife, her sisters, your friend and… your friend’s mother. Whom will be weak after this birth.”

Geoffrey furrowed his brow before looking away. “Close the gates.”

“Wise boy,” Foulques said. “Deliver the order to the guards.”

Geoffrey’s head spun back toward his father. “Why do you not give the order?”

“You must learn to deliver words you do not enjoy in powerful enough a manner to still inspire confidence,” Foulques said. “Go. I will see how you have done later.”

Geoffrey could barely contain his anger, his complexion reddening. But he said nothing through gritted teeth and marched out of the chamber.

“A tough lesson, my lord,” Guilhem said.

“One he must learn,” Foulques replied. “Now, for our final matter…”

“Duchess Aines,” Guilhem said. “You wish to know how she handled Anjou in your absence?”

“I have not heard much wrong,” Foulques said. “But you would know best.”

“She is not the administrator Duchess Beatritz was,” Guilhem said. “But she has other strengths. The lady carries herself with a certain… elegance. She speaks well, and is rarely ever caught at a loss for words. I am certain there are some who dislike her - no one is beloved by all - but those whispers are quiet. I think she is liked. In time, she will be loved.”

Foulques smiled. “That is good news. And how does Agnes fare?”

“Well enough,” Guilhem said. “Aines has made use of her well. That is perhaps why even those who do not care for the duchess do not whisper. Agnes has many friends here as well - Aines has worked to make her sympathetic to the courtiers here and Agnes in turn has spoken well of her.”

“They work well together,” Foulques said. “Excellent.”

“Agreed my lord,” Guilhem said.

“Thank you for your input, my friend,” Foulques said. “You are dismissed.”

The steward bowed and headed for the door.

“Oh, one more thing,” Foulques said. “You have done a fine job administering the duchy while the duchess and I have been away. I commend you for your work and urge you to keep it up.”

Guilhem looked back to the duke and smiled. “Of course my lord. It has always been a pleasure to serve you.”

Foulques smirked as Guilhem left. He knew the steward might well be happier now than he was under Beatritz, if for no other reason than Aines left him alone much more than Beatritz did. That was fine - as he noted Aines had different strengths than Beatritz. And Anjou seemed to be thriving. So what was there to complain about?

Alearde.

He could not help it. It was the one thing he despised upon returning to Anjou. She had not been among the group to greet them when the party had returned. When he saw her, among Agnes ladies the next day his eyes drifted to a familiar face, whose body had taken an unfamiliar shape - her middle bulged with life - no doubt the spawn of Duke Gilles.

Aines had told him Alearde had been with the duke a few months back while attempting to negotiate a compromise over Agnes’ daughter. In the end, Gilles still denied Beatrice was his daughter, and he had managed to put a child into Alearde anyway.

Foulques nearly demanded Alearde be thrown from the keep. But Agnes had defended her to him.

“She went along with this on my behalf,” Agnes said when it had come up.

“Are you certain?” Foulques demanded. “I do not see her having achieved anything but carrying another bastard.”

“She did not succeed,” Agnes said. “But I do not fault her. She had an impossible task.”

“She did not have to lay with him,” Foulques said.

“I know not her specifics of her work,” Agnes said. “But I believe she was encouraged to do what was necessary.”

“By you?” Foulques asked.

“I would not ask such a thing of her,” Agnes said.

“Then who?” Foulques demanded.

“If you did not, then it would be the duchess,” Agnes said.

“She would not,” Foulques said.

“She would, for my benefit,” Agnes said. “I do not… begrudge her. But I do not blame Alearde either.”

He wished to anyway, but he acquiesced to his daughter. She reminded him Alearde had given him a daughter, aided him with two murders to help him achieve his ends, and been willing to give herself to aid Agnes.

It was enough to get Foulques to resist the urges.

For now.
……

If he was frustrated with Aines, it was forgotten that evening, as it often was. Such was her skill in the bedroom - it amazed Foulques that Adhemar did not appreciate what he had.

Perhaps if he had, he might still be among us,
he thought.

When they had finished, Aines poured wine for the both of them and returned to bed.

She had impressed him, as both duchess and lover. It left him wondering if perhaps it was time to involve her in his pressing debate - whether or not to engage the plot against Philippe. He had come no closer to an answer himself. He needed someone to help him sort his thoughts.

Geoffrey was not ready - his naivety with the epidemic proved that. Agnes simply made poor choices - she may learn in time, but she had to prove herself to Foulques before she could be trusted.

Beatritz… she would be a sound option. But she was gone. And Amaury and Guilhem, while friends, were lowborn men. They lacked understanding of how the world of the nobility moved.

No, it had to be Aines.

“My love,” Aines said as she brought him out of thought. “There is a matter we must discuss.”

“There is a matter I wish to discuss with you as well,” Foulques replied.

“Then you first,” Aines said. “Your business is of the utmost importance.”

Foulques did not dispute that - instead explaining to her the basics of what he had been told. And it was basic - the conspirators would not fully reveal themselves or their plans until he committed to them.

“So they wish for you to aid in his murder?” Aines asked when he was finished. “Interesting.”

“And you wish me to take part?” Foulques asked.

“I did not say that,” Aines said. “It is unwise to make any decision until all options are evaluated.”

“And those options are?” Foulques asked.

“You know as well as I do that the choice is not between Philippe and Alphonse. The boy will not last long,” Aines said. “It shall be Boudewijn, Duke Hugues, or Philippe’s brother’s Hugues, if he can promise to bootlick the nobles enough.”

“Do you think any of them better than Philippe?” Foulques asked.

“It is not for me to decide husband,” Aines said. “You are the duke. And you are the one he has wronged in Maine.”

“I do not know if joining in this plot will get me Maine,” he admitted.

“You should be skeptical,” Aines said. “I think it is too much to promise. The realm will be anything but certain should this succeed.”

“Then you would not wish for me to take part in this?” Foulques asked.

“If Maine is only reason,” Aines said. “Then it is a risk. But is Maine the only reason? Perhaps you think another man would make for a better king.”

“Certainly not Boudewijn,” Foulques said. “Prince Hugues is less of a problem now that he is done with my cousins, the Bachaumonts.”

“Tragic business that,” Aines said.

“They say Hugues’ wife died of the great pox,” Foulques said. “It lessens my sympathy for her.”

“Perhaps,” Aines said. “But all of the siblings met tragic ends. Bouchard was regrettable. Euphrosine by the pox. And poor Agathe! Married to the Prince of the Scots, then eaten by her insane father-by-law - even though she was with child!”

1089_Euprosine_de_Bauchmont.jpg

1089_Agathe_de_Bauchmont_devoured.jpg

Foulques’ eyes widened. He had not heard that.

“When did that happen?”

“It was a few years ago,” Aines said. “It serves as a warning not to let your daughter join the court of those barbarians.”

Foulques could scarcely believe such a thing. Literally murdering and eating your son’s pregnant wife? King Malcolm Canmore was a monster - thank God he had finally died a year ago.

“Moving on from that unpleasant business, is one more matter to consider,” Aines said. “I know you have grown frustrated with Philippe in the last year. Such things are understandable. But… there is something to the devil you know.”

“Pun intended?”

A sly smile formed on Aines’ thin lips. “Philippe has plenty of machinations. But we know this of him - he is ambitiously trying to expand his control - but it is to where the realm does not currently reside. He also has a strength to protect our interests, but has shown little inclination to stop his powerful vassals from doing what they wish. In fact, he often placates them - as he did with my father and now with you.”

“Yet he does not give Maine,” Foulques said.

“He placates, but it is because he fears you,” Aines said. “That latitude has cost you Maine, for now. But it allows you free reign to do much.

“And Philippe considers you a friend. They try to tempt you with favor, but you already have that favor.”

“Then you think it best for me to remain loyal,” Foulques said.

“I lay out fact,” Aines said. “If the facts seem to make it clear your path, then that is good. I will not tell you there is no opportunity in pursuing this, but there is risk. And the gain is far from certain - that much we agree upon.”

Foulques nodded. Her case, whether facts or opinion, was sound. He would put his anger aside for now, and not back this plot.

But he would not reveal it either.

“Thank you for your consul, wife,” Foulques said. “You continue to prove yourself every bit worthy of your title.”

“Thank you my love,” Aines replied.

“Now, what is your matter?”

Aines smiled. “It appears our time together has been fruitful. My monthly visitor is nearly four weeks late.”

“You are with child?” Foulques asked.

“I believe so, husband,” she said.

He kissed her and moved his hand to her belly. It was still relatively flat - there was no sign of the pregnancy just yet.

Though he wished to do more than just kiss her at the moment, he decided that would be unwise. While he had certainly bedded his mistresses while they were with child, and Aines herself when she was carrying her late husband’s, he always avoided the sinful behavior with his own wife.

But Aines did not show much disappointment when he told her. Instead, replying with a smirk: “There are other ways to please, my lord.”

As she slid her hand down, Foulques only had one thought.

My God, she is perfect.

Note: OK, I have to make special mention the sad fate of Agathe Bachaumont. I did not intend for that to go into this update, but when I looked up what happened to her sister, then her... the :eek: does not do my face justice. CK2! Having the king literally eat his pregnant daughter-in-law? What are you doing? (Answer: Doing the things that makes CK2 great)

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I must confess I "cheat" when it comes to Saxon names. Having set my pc to use a Danish keyboard layout so I get æ for free (and ø and å).

Hmm... not a bad idea. (the Danish lettering may be something that could pop up in the future)

A ginger and a priest? That's not my Eadgar. But as I read, you might use a good court chaplain...mayhap invite the good man to your court. ;)

Yes, this Eadgar has had a much more... quiet existence than both yours and the man in real life! I do find it amusing how pictures have changed in different CK2 updates. I'm fairly certain Foulques had a different portrait (and perhaps spelling! - it may have been Fulk) in earlier CK2 versions.

Reactions:
This darn Gilles is a scourge to the ladies of the land. Before we know it, all houses will be tainted!

As to whether Foulques should involve himself with some plot to replace the King, he should think long and hard on the alternatives. It took him quite a long time to get to his position on the council and that included proving himself to the King in battle. I doubt any other would consider him as kindly as Philippe. As was suggested...the son of Satan you know. ;)

Reactions:
I'm guessing Duke Gilles seducing Alearde is the thing that you alluded to having broken up her and Foulques a couple of updates ago? This game is second to none as an emergent story generator, but sometimes it does do things that don't fit with the narrative that you have going in your own head about what's going on. Surely Gilles must have the wroth of Foulques featuring in his future at some point? I feel like this should give some kind of humiliation CB or something.

The plot against Phillipe is interesting, though not surprising. I've offed my last two kings in the game I'm playing as Guilliame of Toulouse in 769. Once to split the realm to my own convenience, the second time to reunite it in order to better defend against the Umayads. In Foulques' case I think he was well advised by Aines to stay out of it. More fantastic characterisation, by the way, you've brought Aines to life beautifully.

Reactions:
great update! too many schemes in the court of the King of the Franks... that might not end well though...

Reactions:
Interesting how Alearde makes no appearance in this update, and yet she haunts it start to finish.

Reactions:
A pox upon Duke Gilles! May his nethers wither and rot, the lecherous devil (which tends to be a common consequence of the Seduction focus, so one can hope).

I can't say I'm terribly surprised that the plan didn't work, but then, that wasn't the point, was it? After all, you did point out that Alearde is a loose end to Aines, one she cannot tolerate, and it clearly seems to have widened the breach between the former lovers. I get the sense that Alearde isn't done yet, though... as has been pointed out, she haunts this chapter despite having no physical presence, and I begin to wonder what role she has in the coming inevitable succession madness...

His Grace, Duke d'Anjou is well-advised to steer clear of the plot against the King, meanwhile. I haven't participated in many plots against my liege in recent memory, but bad experiences tend to follow when I do. Likely because I haven't yet mastered Intrigue like the rest of the skills, but also because success can have some very serious consequences. Best not break the hornets nest that is the French nobility open until you're good and ready...

Alas, poor Geoffrey. I can sympathize with his initial response to the gates. Generally I've left them open out of naive belief that I'll power through whatever diseases come, no problem. I've been far too lucky and gotten away with it too often thus far, and recently I've been attempting to be more realistic about it all (AKA cowering in my keep while my tax and army fodder rots around me).

Lastly, that lovely Cannibal trait... I remember seeing the event with the option to become one pop up once, and I thought long and hard before overruling my darker impulses to experiment and see what happens. Maybe I'm too much of a wimp, but there are some lines in CKII I'm not yet prepared to willingly cross, the second one being devil worship.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Couple of great updates particularly the barbed exchange between Alearde and the Duchess-an encounter dripping with venom.

Bravo!

Reactions:
On the one hand, Philippe's death would perhaps be a gain for Foulques and Aines -- if he balks at giving Foulques a mere county for fear of increasing his power, I doubt he'd allow a single family to unite the entire western coast of France under one banner without taking drastic action. On the other hand, Philippe has been one of Foulques's great benefactors, and a quite enjoyable character in his own right.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This darn Gilles is a scourge to the ladies of the land. Before we know it, all houses will be tainted!

As to whether Foulques should involve himself with some plot to replace the King, he should think long and hard on the alternatives. It took him quite a long time to get to his position on the council and that included proving himself to the King in battle. I doubt any other would consider him as kindly as Philippe. As was suggested...the son of Satan you know. ;)

You have seen nothing yet with Gilles. He's put pagans with multiple concubines to shame. It's made me :eek:.

You are correct in your assessment Foulques needs consider his own favored position is worth gambling for Maine (or any other injustice). It will be a question that he will grapple with for some time - the conflict beneath the surface in the kingdom are only growing greater.

I'm guessing Duke Gilles seducing Alearde is the thing that you alluded to having broken up her and Foulques a couple of updates ago? This game is second to none as an emergent story generator, but sometimes it does do things that don't fit with the narrative that you have going in your own head about what's going on. Surely Gilles must have the wroth of Foulques featuring in his future at some point? I feel like this should give some kind of humiliation CB or something.

The plot against Phillipe is interesting, though not surprising. I've offed my last two kings in the game I'm playing as Guilliame of Toulouse in 769. Once to split the realm to my own convenience, the second time to reunite it in order to better defend against the Umayads. In Foulques' case I think he was well advised by Aines to stay out of it. More fantastic characterisation, by the way, you've brought Aines to life beautifully.

I thought the seduction was the reason when I first played. But looking back the reason appears to have been the wedding of Foulques and Aines. (I looked at her "past lover" modifier, and it tagged as expiring in March, which happens to be the month the wedding happened). So, I'm fairly certain the wedding was the final straw, which is why I had to go with Alearde being frustrated over not being chosen as the rationale for it ending.

I wish I had EU4's humiliation CB in this spot. I thought of it quite a few times. Sadly, since Gilles is the Duke of Berry, he has a free CB against Foulques (conquest of Tours) but Foulques does not. However, there may be other ways for revenge... ;)

Glad to hear you've enjoyed Aines characterization. Aside from her rise to prominence, there's a reason I've had a lot of focus on her as of late. You'll probably figure out why when the next update goes up in a little bit.

great update! too many schemes in the court of the King of the Franks... that might not end well though...

There are too many schemes! And those are just the ones Foulques knows about. I imagine there are plenty more going on. One wonders what I might discover if I loaded up a save file and took a peak at the actual Dukes from their point of view. I might discover a great deal more! And as for how it ends - your dread is deserved. Things like this will end poorly for someone, if not multiple people.

Interesting how Alearde makes no appearance in this update, and yet she haunts it start to finish.

Alearde has been such a major part in Foulques life, and in a lot of ways, those around him, that even though she is a lowborn woman, her actions can't help but have a major role among those major players in Anjou. Interestingly, one could argue in seeking to diminish Alearde, Aines ended up increasing how her presence affects those around her.

A pox upon Duke Gilles! May his nethers wither and rot, the lecherous devil (which tends to be a common consequence of the Seduction focus, so one can hope).

I can't say I'm terribly surprised that the plan didn't work, but then, that wasn't the point, was it? After all, you did point out that Alearde is a loose end to Aines, one she cannot tolerate, and it clearly seems to have widened the breach between the former lovers. I get the sense that Alearde isn't done yet, though... as has been pointed out, she haunts this chapter despite having no physical presence, and I begin to wonder what role she has in the coming inevitable succession madness...

His Grace, Duke d'Anjou is well-advised to steer clear of the plot against the King, meanwhile. I haven't participated in many plots against my liege in recent memory, but bad experiences tend to follow when I do. Likely because I haven't yet mastered Intrigue like the rest of the skills, but also because success can have some very serious consequences. Best not break the hornets nest that is the French nobility open until you're good and ready...

Alas, poor Geoffrey. I can sympathize with his initial response to the gates. Generally I've left them open out of naive belief that I'll power through whatever diseases come, no problem. I've been far too lucky and gotten away with it too often thus far, and recently I've been attempting to be more realistic about it all (AKA cowering in my keep while my tax and army fodder rots around me).

Lastly, that lovely Cannibal trait... I remember seeing the event with the option to become one pop up once, and I thought long and hard before overruling my darker impulses to experiment and see what happens. Maybe I'm too much of a wimp, but there are some lines in CKII I'm not yet prepared to willingly cross, the second one being devil worship.

I can't speak to Duke Gilles fate, besides he is prolific in what he does and is not going anywhere any time in the short term. And yes, it went, in many ways, as Aines had hoped. It drives a further gulf between Alearde and Foulques.

For participating in plots, I have not really taken place in too many against kings in the past. But I have had kings/queens plot to revoke territory. I find it less likely it happens with a king who is friendly, and Philippe likes Foulques at the moment. But regardless of Foulques does, that hornet's nest, as you say, is buzzing. It's only a matter of time until something happens.

I generally wait until the last moment to close the gates. There have been times I could have earlier in this AAR, but resisted (Maine was hit by smallpox earlier, but Anjou lucked out). But I could not take the chance with Foulques having just two legitimate children at this point.

As or the cannibal trait... I had not really noticed people being devoured before, but it was crazy the circumstances of that one. I, like you, have had lines I would not cross. And the bad ones I have, (I've had characters openly desire to seduce their sister) have never been successful. Since I don't have Monks and Mystics, I haven't had to worry about devil worship. Though if you listen to the Dukes of France, apparently that hasn't stopped Philippe. :D

I'm getting in synchrony with Geoffrey, you're doing a good work. May Kleio helps your hand!

Geoffrey is going to likely continue in this role to some degree, just because they don't like one another. So you may well continue to agree with him!

Couple of great updates particularly the barbed exchange between Alearde and the Duchess-an encounter dripping with venom.

Bravo!

Thanks! It was enjoyable to write. I particularly enjoyed the section about Duke Guilhem and Ermengarda. These last two updates have been in large part to set up the next two. So hopefully it pays off.

On the one hand, Philippe's death would perhaps be a gain for Foulques and Aines -- if he balks at giving Foulques a mere county for fear of increasing his power, I doubt he'd allow a single family to unite the entire western coast of France under one banner without taking drastic action. On the other hand, Philippe has been one of Foulques's great benefactors, and a quite enjoyable character in his own right.

I think you have the situation well read. Philippe would not like it. But Aines would have Foulques play his cards right so that by the time Philippe fully realizes what is going on, it is too late. But he has, as you say, been good to Foulques and he is somewhat predictable. (And I do enjoy writing him - I think @coz1 portrayal of him in the Rightful King left a favorable impression on me!)

Next up, the chapter that, in many ways serves as Part I of II. This is the conclusion to this arc, which was basically the crazy events of 1087-1089. The game threw a twist at me and I hope to do it justice here. The fallout from the twist/major event of this will reverberate throughout the AAR going forward.

Thanks for all the comments/questions/feedback as usual! It provides inspiration to make sure every chapter has meaning and purpose, with few things wasted.

Reactions:
Chapter 61 - June 1089
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 61
June 1089- Anjou, France

Foulques stood outside his daughter’s chambers, wondering what was taking so long.

He needed the old nun Adalmode. Actually, it was Aines who needed her, and the physician had been sent for a good hour before.

But she had not come when called. Instead, she was in his daughter’s chambers, attending to the birth of the bastard Foulques had little care for.

Alearde was in labor with her child and Agnes had graciously allowed her own personal chambers to be used for it. That had gone on since late last night, and now it was the mid-afternoon with still no child.

Meanwhile, Aines had been feeling faint all morning, but attended court anyway. However, after, she had nearly fallen, had pains in her abdomen and possibly had a fever.

She insisted she was fine, but had been taken to her bed, where she awaited evaluation from Adalmode.

The nun had sent a man to appraise Aines’ situation, and gave word that she examine the duchess soon enough. But Foulques had grown impatient - he would not let Alearde’s foolishness and Gilles’ bastard risk the life of his wife and own child.

The door did soon open, but it was Agnes and not Adalmode who stepped forward.

“Where is the nun?” he demanded.

“Busy,” Agnes said. “The child is nearly here. She believes the head will emerge any moment now.”

“Her priorities should be with the duchess,” Foulques said. “Not some ill-gotten bastard.”

“Her priorities are with helping those who need it,” Agnes said. “Alearde is giving life. Two people require Adalmode in that room, father.”

“And what of my wife and child?” Foulques demanded. “Are those not two lives?”

“The duchess will be fine,” Agnes said. “Adalmode said fatigue is common in this stage of her pregnancy.”

“And is abdominal pain and fever?” Foulques asked.

“That is why she sent someone to look the Duchess over,” Agnes said. “She does not believe it life threatening at the moment. Father, please, trust in her judgment. She has never led us astray.”

“I am concerned of her priorities,” Foulques said. “And yours. It is important you remember who is important in this keep, and who is not.”

Agnes scowled and crossed her arms. “I remember those who have aided me. And who may suffer as a result.”

The door opened again and the wizened physician stepped forth. She placed a hand on Agnes’ shoulder.

“Thank you for this child,” she said. “But I can speak with your father now.”

“Has the child arrived?” Agnes asked.

“It will soon,” Adalmode said. “I will just be here talking with the duke. Should I not return when it arrives, please alert me.”

Agnes nodded and returned to the room. Once the door closed, Foulques glared at the nun.

“Do you forget who you serve?” Foulques demanded.

“I never forget that I am just doing God’s will,” Adalmode replied.

“The duchess is far more important than a bastard conceived in sin,” Foulques replied.

“The child is innocent of the crime,” Adalmode said. “And the saying goes hate the sin, love the sinner.”

“I grow tired of these platitudes as my wife lays ill,” Foulques said.

“Then let me speak of a new one,” Adalmode said. “Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. Are you such, Duke Foulques? Is the Lady Aines?”

Foulques glared at her. She never did hesitate to stand up to him.

“I say this anytime you grow dissatisfied with how and who I treat,” Adalmode said. “I do what I must to help those in need. If you would like me to do such things elsewhere, I will do so without a second thought.”

“I am concerned for the duchess,” Foulques said. “She is in a delicate state.”

“And I will examine her,” Adalmode said. “And I have someone watching her in case her condition worsens. But… for now, I must aid Alearde. It will not be long now and I will see to your wife shortly. Now, my lord, I have to return to my business.”

“If she loses the child…” Foulques began.

“If her symptoms are because she will lose the child, then there is little I can do,” Adalmode said. “I would do little except tell her to rest and pray. If it is something else, I will examine her shortly. But I have someone who could well suffer if I am not present. My lord.”

She bowed her head without waiting for approval and then closed the door behind her. Foulques briefly considered demanding she return, but he knew it would be pointless. As of now, his failing was somewhat private. If he escalated matters, it would become more public and he would be forced to dismiss the nun permanently. He was not willing to do that.

And… Alearde could not truly be at risk, could she?

Still angry with her, he did his best to put it from his mind. But the small niggling doubt refused to be completely silenced. He did not wish to be responsible for her death.

So, swallowing his pride, he began the slow walk back to Aines’ chambers, working on his story on how Adalmode would be there as soon as the “difficulties” of Alearde’s labor had passed.

“I am fine, my love,” Aines said.

The duchess lay in her bed, sweat beads on her forehead. She may or may not have had a fever, but she did have a pale, sickly complexion. However, her voice remained strong and she remained upright in bed.

“You should not exert yourself,” Foulques replied. “You must think of the child.”

“I have birthed four children, husband,” Aines said. “I am not fearful of this fifth. I sometimes had pains when I carried each of them.”

“You are brave, wife,” Foulques said. “But at least until Adalmode arrives…”

“Alearde has birthed a child before,” Aines said. “One would think she would know how to proceed quickly.”

“Yes, it was but a few hours when you birthed your son,” Foulques said.

Aines smirked. “As I said, I have much experience in the matter.”

There was a knock on the door to the chambers. Foulques’ sister Aureade answered and Adalmode entered. She bowed before Foulques and Aines.

“I assume the birth is done?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” the nun replied. “A healthy girl for Alearde.”

1089_Alearde_has_daughter.jpg

“Can I then assume the duchess will have you undivided attention?” Foulques asked.

“Only if someone does not seek to divide my attention with needless questions,” Adalmode replied.

Aines could not help but chuckle at that, leaving Foulques to shake his head.

But an interruption arrived once more as Geoffrey wished to speak with his father, in private. Seeing as there was little he could do, he decided to oblige his son.

The two entered a small room and shut the door behind.

“What is this urgent matter?” Foulques demanded. “I wished to remain with the duchess.”

“It concerns the duchess,” Geoffrey replied. “There are those who believe she is ill with the same disease which strikes at our peasants.”

Foulques rolled his eyes. “She is not ill with that.”

“Are you certain?” Geoffrey asked. “It is said she has a fever.”

“She has no rash,” Foulques said.

“Some say it could come later,” Geoffrey said. “And by then, it would be too late for the others in the keep.”

Foulques stared his son down. “You seem as though you are suggesting I throw my wife, who carries my child, from this keep. I think it best if you consider your words carefully. You are not a child any longer whose foolishness can be excused by youth. You are a man grown, and one who will be held accountable for his actions.”

1089_Duchess_may_have_measles.jpg

1089_Geoffrey_of_age.jpg

“I merely speak of what the people here fear,” Geoffrey said. “You wished for me to learn of it, did you not?”

That was true - Foulques had Geoffrey report to him the updates from Godfrey and Guilhem about how things fared with the Measles outbreak. The duke wished to see how well his son could process and relay information. It appeared he did so well enough - Foulques secretly went to his councilors to verify the information anyway - but the duke did not always like to hear the analysis that came with it.

“Some at this keep jump at shadows,” Foulques said. “And if they don’t like it, they can take their chances elsewhere.”

“It is not just the keep, father,” Geoffrey said. “The common folk beyond these walls grow restless. They have begun to think all sorts of things.”

“Such as?”

“The people believe it is a blight,” Geoffrey said. “That this punishment from God.”

“For what?” Foulques demanded.

“The reasons vary,” Geoffrey said. “But a popular one is that God is angry with you for the murder of Adhemar to marry Aines.”

“I see,” Foulques said. “And do you believe such tales?”

“It matters little what I believe,” Geoffrey said. “You have made clear that fact before. But that they believe it, is troubling.”

“Peasants are a superstitious lot,” Foulques said. “They look for someone to blame when disaster strikes.”

“You do not think it is God, then?” Geoffrey asked.

“Everything that occurs is His will,” Foulques said. “But few can hope to understand His will. And certainly not those peasants.”

“Were you not the man who once abandoned a siege because he felt God was punishing him?” Geoffrey asked.

Foulques eyes widened. “How… how did you learn of that tale?”

“Mother,” Geoffrey said. “She spoke of it to both myself and Agnes. It was… a proud memory for her.”

Foulques lowered his head. That was a long time ago - nearly 20 years now. But was he that different a man? Or was he just more experienced?

Regardless, he felt both a happiness and sadness - happy that Beatritz had appreciated the gesture enough to retell it in a positive light to their children, but sadness as a reminder his wife was gone.

Even if Aines was an incredible woman - there were plenty of times he missed the old duchess.

“I feared, for a specific set of circumstances,” Foulques said. “There was too much… to take a chance on.”

“The peasants feel the same way,” Geoffrey replied.

“Disease and death happen,” Foulques said. “There have been plagues in Normandy, Flanders and England over the last decade. We have only been struck by this. We should count our blessings, rather than assign blame.”

“Especially if the blame is to you?” Geoffrey asked.

Foulques glared at his son. The boy has a tongue on him. Quick of mind, quick with words. A powerful tool if pointed in the right direction.

But the duke was growing annoyed at how frequently it was pointed at him.

“I grow tired of this conversation,” Foulques said. “Run to your peasants if you think them so deserving of your affection. But if you do so, you will not be allowed back into the keep.”

And with that, he saw Geoffrey’s face darken. The young man talked well, but he was not yet a man of action.

“I speak of what happens in and beyond these walls,” Geoffrey said. “You would do wise to hear it.”

“And you would do wise to learn what is important and what is not,” Foulques said. “Now, if there is no other business, you may depart.”

As he did frequently, Geoffrey left the chambers unhappy.

And Foulques was left wondering if perhaps he would be best served in this child Aines carried was a boy.

….

A few days later, Foulques sat alone in his chambers, sipping on wine. For the first time in a week, he was relaxed. Aines was feeling much better. It was clear now that the fears of her having Measles were wrong, and Foulques felt some relief that she had avoided serious illness.

He was still somewhat concerned she might lose the baby, but she had not yet and the pain in her abdomen had decreased.

There was a knock on his door. He expected a messenger, whom he would give an update to Philippe over the status of the epidemic in Anjou. But instead, it was Adalmode.

“My lord, if I may have a moment of your time,” she said. “It is serious.”

A chill ran down Foulques spine. Serious? His first thought was to Aines, but she had improved. Could she have taken a turn for the worst? Or… was it another of his children?

“What is it?” Foulques said as he stood up. “Does it concern the duchess?”

“It does my lord,” Adalmode said. “It is a complicated matter… but you need to know.”

“She… does have Measles?” Foulques asked.

“No my lord,” Adalmode said. “I do not believe her afflicted by the outbreak, but by another illness.”

“Will she recover?” Foulques asked. “And is the child in danger?”

“My lord, I would advise you to sit down.”

“I will stand,” Foulques said. “Now out with it.”

Adalmode sighed. “My lord, I do not believe she is with child.”

“Impossible,” Foulques replied. “She has spoken of how she has not had her blood in months and her belly has begun to swell. And she vomits in the morn.”

“But she lacks other symptoms,” Adalmode said. “And she has pains in her belly. But they are… different than one would expect. I do not believe her pregnancy is real.”

“You believe her crazy?” Foulques demanded.

“No,” Adalmode said. “I think it caused by her illness.”

1089_Duchess_Aines_ill.jpg

Foulques shook his head. It seemed impossible. Aines wasn’t pregnant? This was caused by illness?

“Impossible,” Foulques said. “An illness that feigns pregnancy?”

“I have seen it before,” Adalmode said. “A few times. I was fooled the first time. The second I took note of the differences.”

“If she is ill,” Foulques began, “then you can treat her? Since you have seen this before.”

“The women I have seen this in… did not survive,” Adalmode said.

“I… she is certain,” Foulques said. “She must be with child. You must help her.”

“I will do all I can,” the old nun said. “But… I think it would be best to pray for her, my lord. It is what I shall do.”

Adalmode bowed her head and began to leave, but Foulques grabbed her arm.

“Are you telling me my wife is going to die?” he demanded.

“I cannot know God’s plan,” Adalmode said. “So I do not predict the future. But… mark my words, I pray for a miracle. As I would anyone in her state.”

Foulques let her go and the nun departed, leaving the Duke of Anjou alone.

He stood in silence, unable to fully process what he’d been just been told.

Had it been anyone else, he would have simply denied it - called them a liar or a fool. After all, Aines was so certain. And she had some signs…

But he trusted Adalmode. She had never led him astray before. If she said that Aines was ill, and not pregnant, then… he could not help but believe her.

Not pregnant. There would be no child.

Soon enough, there likely would be no Aines either.

Foulques slumped down to the floor, and did nothing but shake his head, wondering how it their luck could have turned so poor, so quickly.

1089_Aines_has_cancer.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
so... instead of a child... a cancer was growing inside her... Kharma is coming for them...

Reactions:
Not good at all.

Foulques ... Foulques is showing brittleness. He could fracture.

Reactions: