• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just was popping in to tell @JSB217118 that I saw your long comment before the crash ate it, so while I can't respond to it, I thank you for it! I enjoyed reading it.

And since I'm here, give a quick response to other commentators...

This response is for Chapter 250 which I read the day it was posted. A few things got in the way of me posting a reply. I did want to post something before I read Chapter 251.

So here goes.

It looks like Geoffrey is finally thinking before he goes and rush head long into something. Making his wife out to be a strong figure such as Boudica shows some thought and creativity. Now all he needs is the time to make it work.

No worries on the delay. We all post when our time permits it.

He's thinking, at least with the correct head this time. Of course, it's showing he might have a bit more of his father and grandfather's natures than just his womanzing...

Good, the usurper is dead and England is weakened, it seems like the perfect time to strike. Hopefullly Geoffrey can bend the council to his will in this... Ha, I'm glad to see I was right about a second child. Excellent chapter!

It is the perfect time. But as that last screenshot shows, the council's still a bit of an issue for reasons that shall be explored next chapter.

And yeah, like I said, you had been thinking about and asked about things that were going to come up in this chapter. There was no good way to answer it without spoilers, so glad it proved satisfying, even with the wait.

I stopped reading this AAR sometime around Christmas...I had been reading it during my lunch breaks at work and when work wrapped up for the year I guess I forgot about it! I've been away from home for a little while now and I've found myself with plenty of time to dive into AARs once more and I'm delighted to see that this is still running! So congratulations on the longevity of the story, its wonderful to see your writing is still going strong.

Consider me re-subbed and eagerly awaiting each installment!

No problem. Things come up, people come and they go. That you are back is great to see! I'd say you've picked a good time. Hopefully you enjoy what is to follow as the long-term goal nears some sense of completion.

Again, @JSB217118 sorry your comment got eaten! I really did enjoy it. Thanks for it, and everyone else who have commented so far. Hope everyone enjoyed the chapter!

Reactions:
are you declaring war anyways? I did notice council disagrees with it

• 1Like
Reactions:
The plot worked but perhaps a little to fast. Now Geoffrey has to move quickly and before he has got all the support in place. Good to see the queen has agreed to go along with his plans. If he declares war without Council support I wonder what problems that will create.

Reactions:
1133-Cant-declare-War-yet.jpg

Well, this is going to be fun. No way going to war against the will of your own Council can backfire, no sir.

Reactions:
Darn councils! This is why I generally try to abolish them ASAP. Although sometimes keeping it but stacked with loyalists works better. There is always a way to circumvent the council in my experience. Quite often just sacking them, stacking council, declaring war, and then putting the real council back. But I'm not sure how you could write something that gamey effectively. Perhaps characterise the action as a mere threat to replace the existing council if they don't give in, and then they all give in. But this AAR has been written pretty failthfully to the game's mechanics even when they are janky. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Reactions:
It's all slowly falling into place. The snakepit of England has claimed another victim, and the crown is being reduced to a puppet with different masters fighting for the strings. For Burgheard's supporters, Ecgwyn is perfectly suited to keep their hold, but that has awoken the giant across the channel.

Adelise tried to use the giant's son to hold the strings for a while, though she'd have to share with Ælfflæd. Now it seems like she'll have to stand aside while Geoffrey tries to get a hold of Ælfflæd's strings, though I'm sure she'll do her utmost to evade his grasp whenever she can.

All in all, Adelise is a less-capable female Alias. Where the goateed steward had a clear plan in mind which often involved getting rid of any human problem in the way, she blunders from one plot to the next without guessing the most probable outcome. And then, the only solution she sees is to permanently take of the problem. She's, in a way, just as murder-happy, but with far less aim.

Reactions:
Word did eventually reach them, however, and when it did, it was that the English usurper was no more.
Excellent news indeed. May he rot!
But nothing had been proven as Leofwaru had covered her tracks well - meaning the threat to the prince had been removed and his road to the throne opened up with no cost to Geoffrey or Ælfflæd.
Even better.
Except, perhaps, our souls, Geoffrey thought.
Don’t worry about your soul, Geoff. Already blackened.
Geoffrey himself didn’t feel a whole lot of remorse as he “celebrated” the success with a sip of ale that he quickly put aside for wine.
At least it destabilised them and creates the uncertainty he needs.
But now, he had begun to fancy the idea of making her queen outright
This is interesting.
He would bring England to heel. He would elevate his Boudica.

And when he was done, he would be king of two realms.
Huzzah! That’s the spirit. Looks like a bit of Council-wrangling is in order, as it would be better not to go all tyrannical. Some tricks in the locker to sway them?

Reactions:
and then three Kingdoms! if you count Navarra... and if it does not go to a potential second son

Reactions:
are you declaring war anyways? I did notice council disagrees with it

The plan is to declare war, but I did put the council disagreement in there to show that it's not a foregone conclusion that Geoffrey can just declare, despite having the ability to press the claim.

The plot worked but perhaps a little to fast. Now Geoffrey has to move quickly and before he has got all the support in place. Good to see the queen has agreed to go along with his plans. If he declares war without Council support I wonder what problems that will create.

Yeah, I did not expect it to work so quickly. The result left me unable to declare war without tyranny, which caused a nervous bit because I didn't want to lose that ability to press the claim. So I was left to wonder if I wanted to wait, or destabilize the realm in some way (either taking the tyranny penalty or firing council members) in order to press that claim ASAP.

Well, this is going to be fun. No way going to war against the will of your own Council can backfire, no sir.

Hehe. That history of that does get a mention in the next chapter. And it is something Geoffrey has been versed on.

Darn councils! This is why I generally try to abolish them ASAP. Although sometimes keeping it but stacked with loyalists works better. There is always a way to circumvent the council in my experience. Quite often just sacking them, stacking council, declaring war, and then putting the real council back. But I'm not sure how you could write something that gamey effectively. Perhaps characterise the action as a mere threat to replace the existing council if they don't give in, and then they all give in. But this AAR has been written pretty failthfully to the game's mechanics even when they are janky. Looking forward to the next chapter!

I like councils generally because as annoying as they can be, I find the fact that I can essentially not have to worry about rebellions is quite useful. And in a pinch, I could risk rebellion by firing council members who are causing problems. I was rather tempted to do it here, to be honest.

One thing that I think they changed is the ability to "rehire" council members after firing them. I believe there is a period where you can't bring them back on. Eventually they can be rehired, but I think it's at least a year, maybe five?

Working around game mechanics and AI decisions is *always* an adventure. In fact, it forced me to redo my planned chapter for tomorrow (an event I thought happened later, actually happened much earlier). You always try to make it work, but I think readers are forgiving when it comes to things like that.

It's all slowly falling into place. The snakepit of England has claimed another victim, and the crown is being reduced to a puppet with different masters fighting for the strings. For Burgheard's supporters, Ecgwyn is perfectly suited to keep their hold, but that has awoken the giant across the channel.

Adelise tried to use the giant's son to hold the strings for a while, though she'd have to share with Ælfflæd. Now it seems like she'll have to stand aside while Geoffrey tries to get a hold of Ælfflæd's strings, though I'm sure she'll do her utmost to evade his grasp whenever she can.

All in all, Adelise is a less-capable female Alias. Where the goateed steward had a clear plan in mind which often involved getting rid of any human problem in the way, she blunders from one plot to the next without guessing the most probable outcome. And then, the only solution she sees is to permanently take of the problem. She's, in a way, just as murder-happy, but with far less aim.

Precisely with Ecgwyn. The situation is actually a touch more complicated than I let on, but I thought it would be far too confusing in text. Interestingly, Sigeric's wife is Burgheard's sister. While I mentioned that previously, she's also the heir to Ecgwyn currently (and is also named Ælfflæd), so Sigeric has reason to keep Ecgwyn from being removed... but also reason to see that her reign isn't a long one.

Meanwhile Æfrida of Northumberland also has a strong claim to the throne, which I think she fabricated, cause I can't trace it from anywhere. But it becomes a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario - since half of England have claims on the throne, and all of them are women, no one can unify behind anyone. So Ecgwyn stays in power. For now, anyway.

Adelise suffered a few setbacks here, but her role in this story is not done. We got a more finished product with Alias, by virtue of coming to Geoffrey I later. He and Alias had been doing their thing for over a decade by the time they came into real focus. Here, we see Adelise, Geoffrey, Ælfflæd as they form into what they'll ultimately become.

So as of now, Adelise is very much as you describe - short-sighted, murder happy. But will she remain that way? England's future might well be shaped by it.

Excellent news indeed. May he rot!
Even better.
Don’t worry about your soul, Geoff. Already blackened.
At least it destabilised them and creates the uncertainty he needs.
This is interesting.
Huzzah! That’s the spirit. Looks like a bit of Council-wrangling is in order, as it would be better not to go all tyrannical. Some tricks in the locker to sway them?

Poor Burgheard - a tragic hero in his own story, and if the English survive these Angevins, will surely be resurrected as one. A big *if*.

LOL at Geoff's soul. He would disagree! He would probably be wrong, but he would disagree! But that's half the fun with these characters - writing their rationalizations for why their evil act is acceptable. And turning it back to old Ed - had I been writing his perspective, there would have been a bunch of that too. It's not as if dethroning the king's grandson by usurpation is a holy action.

More on Ælfflæd as queen below.

Gameplay wise, there's only one trick necessary. Storyline wise, a couple. That shall be revealed next chapter.

and then three Kingdoms! if you count Navarra... and if it does not go to a potential second son

That's very much what it could be! And Geoffrey does still value his oaths, so as you'll see in the next chapter, Alias is still in line for Navarra.

To all - glad you enjoyed this chapter. It was more complicated than it may appear. I will speak honestly when it comes to mechanics - I don't believe there was no *actual* way for Prince Guilhem to be English king *at the current time*. Because of CK2 mechanics, he didn't quite have a claim yet. I think he was far enough down on succession that he didn't get one automatically - he would have to wait until Ælfflæd's death to get it.

So it always had to be Ælfflæd. Which meant slowly building toward why Geoffrey would push his wife over his son. That's the big thing this chapter had to do - to shift why the claimant would be Elf, rather than Guilhem. It proved a nice coincidence that certain things fell into place - the relatively quick murder (plot power I think peaked at just over 100%, so I expected to be waiting a while. It was crazy fast), Ælfflæd's pregnancy (right when they would need to reconcile - and yes, I checked, it's Geoff's). Even things I had not planned on directly actually proved true when I looked closer - such as the alliance between Cornwall, Essex, Lancaster and Kent.

Hopefully the switch worked for you. And the upcoming chapters work as well. The next one, tomorrow, I was meh on, but my wife thinks I was just being overly critical. Hope you agree with her! I'll try to remember to explain in a few chapters what I had to work around, but I imagine you'll figure it out.

Thanks as always for your comments and feedback. Hope you and your friends and family are doing well!

Reactions:
good your wife could come back to give you her insights! how is she doing during her recovery?

Reactions:
Reply to this post from 31st December

I think the subtitle of this post might be: Elf grows up.

Now, that is really not fair to her - she was not precisely childish before now. But in this post we see her father talking to not only as a daughter. As a daughter yes, but also as another royal - but with a degree of frankess sometimes possible between family. Of course, during this first scene Elf is always (in some ways) impotent, stripped of her ladies and a virtual prisoner.

The next scene she chooses loneliness, to some extent. The dead can be powerful conversationalists, even when no words are spoken. Their silence can concentrate thoughts in a way impossible were they still alive. If nothing else I woudl call this episode, and the conversation that follows, a tempering experience. It seems to be forging Elf, a self-forging if you will.

The consequence of that is in the scene with Burgheard. It is impossible not to compare this conversation with a powerful man with the conversation with her father. In a sense it is an equally unsatisfactory conversation from Elf's point of view - but there is a difference. She went to her father because she had no choice, she does with this one and it shows. And whereas her father ends their conversation, here she ends in. In this conversation with Burgheard we see her take control.

And final scene is a reflection on this, and a choice. To Bordeaux. To that nest of vipers, to the devil's lair - as the Queen who lays devils and will (I surely dearly hope) demand her due.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Response to this post from January 7th

Finally into 2020!

Ok, that aside, this is an update rich with some wonderful lines and riposts - I am going to quite some.

“Throw me from here, for calling out the deceit and lecherous nature of your family?” Guilhem demanded.
“We are of the same family, uncle,” Geoffrey replied. “On both sides. So I would be careful accusations you throw, given they could be hurled back at you.”

Ahh, good old family squabbles. What I liked about this scene with Guilhem is it shows how Aquitaine's are so thoroughly dominated by the Angevin family itself. The rot is everywhere.

“You have your known mistress for that,” Edouard said.

I really have a lot of time for Edouard in this update, and I think his general comments about Essa may well be prescient. However this little line - and I read it with some emphasis on the word 'known' I think wonderful captures how those "in the know" have to manage this King's fractured relationships.

"If this illness does not drive me to an early grave, then your obstinance will surely finish the job.”

Really just emphasising the idea of how much work it is looking after young Geoffrey. This too has a grimly prophetic ring.

“I will always be your cousin,” Edouard replied. “Everything else may be temporary.”

And this line is just bliss. A true undecutting, in its way, of what Geoffrey was just saying and showing just how shallow the young King sometimes still is - but it links back to the larger way about how this update is all about family.

“I don’t try at all when I am with you,” Ælfflæd said. “And I do not pretend in public. I am the Queen of Aquitaine. I must attend to my duties.”

In a way I am sorry you chose not to write the "reconciliation" but this line is all I had hoped for from the previous post. Indeed I read it again several times just to enjoy its glorious nature. It says something quite clear and definite about Ælffllæd - and a lesson Geoffrey would do well to remember. She truly is not pretending. It also means she is absolutely the one person he can be sure is going to be honest with him.

There were times when his wife’s blunt nature served a purpose.

And this line shows he knows this - but it is a backhanded grudging sort of acknoweldgement. He is a long way from appreciating just what an aid to his ruling Elf might be. I have no idea if he will ever realise it, but the foundation is there. At the end of it all the young Geoffrey is not his father.

Beatritz looked away. “What does it matter brother, I am stranger. As you said.”

This line cuts so deeply, and it illustrates just how Geoffrey can sometimes be callow as well as shallow. But, how best to put this, he does so from honest mistakes, mostly. You can see this in his reaction. There is a gut-punch feeling to it, enough to make him suddenly consider changing his mind. In a sense I think the defining quality that puts young Geoffrey apart from his father and his grandfather is his sense of shame.

“My family is rather stubborn,” Geoffrey said. “Even when seriously ill we do not die quickly. My uncle may have many years left.”

I think calling the Platangenets stubborn is like calling the ocean a bit wet :) This was my favourite comic line of the update (though not the only one)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Response to this post from 14th January

Sometimes Geoffrey is just like his father.

One particularly interesting development in this post is Geoffrey taking charge in teh battle itself, making a crucial decision - and one that was perhaps not obvious. In a way it is a blending of his father and his grandfather.

As the Countess, I said it was just like his father - but let us be honest it is a family affliction.

The conversation though I find most intriguing in the entirety of the post though is the one he has with Alberic. I wonder what future paths this particular relationship will take, give the somewhat strange nature of it all. A volatile mix if ever there was one.

Finally a note about Foulquesson. Foulquesson is, well there is no doubting him. Even masked he is just so himself. I don't just mean he is a bullying berk, though surely he is. Rather than his own personality, thuggish, brutish, not a little coarse, overpowers any attempt at concealment. This, too, is a frequent Plantagenet trait: not the barbarity, but the strength of their personalities. Even young Geoffrey bears this particular mark, as did his father, as does Agnes, Foulquesson, and others - one might argue that is the true legacy of the Iron Duke.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Response to this post from 21st January

I get the horrible feeling of this friendship just starting to go awry - I really don't think Geoffrey understands that Berard has two people of far greater import in his life now that Geoffrey ever was and ever can be. And Berard does not condemn - he offers counsel, but does not condemn. However, you can see hints here where, to Geoffrey, he expected his best friend to condone - and he is shocked that he did not. Shocked enough not to demand the attentions of the lady, demands she plainly expected.

Indeed there is the sense of disaster stinking all about this update. Do we have a storm foretold? The wreck of his arrangements? Is the messy meaning with the Count a forestaste of a more personal calamity as his house of cards is blown over? Essa is, it seems, well on its way to being an open secret. As they saying goes three men can keep a secret if two of them are dead - and far too many people know about Essa now. Edouard may yet be put in his grave.

The somewhat shambolic negotiations ... well Berard has a point, his own sense of aggravation helped shock matters to where he got his endgame - but damned it was untidy. I mean, it is not as if his father and grandfather didn't have problems wtih things going pear-shaped. Geoffrey Elder in particular could get so wrapped up in his own justifications and was so self-centred he started to get blindsided when people thought differently than he thought they might. Geoffrey Younger's chaos is caused though more from lack of preparation.

But then, in many senses a good many of his disasters so far have been from that. I mean, the whole fallout from Ana was one such.

And this leads me back to Berard. Geoffrey is impulsive, and he often really doesn't get the consequences of his actions. Berard is forgiving, tolerant to a fault even - but Geoffrey as he is now is still so very capable of doing something to cross Berard to a place that is beyond anyone's ability to bear. I hope not, but I fear it.

• 1Love
Reactions:
good your wife could come back to give you her insights! how is she doing during her recovery?

She's pretty fatigued as she deals with some lingering complications. Slight improvement, I think, overall. She doesn't have the virus any more, but it's that recovery can be long. Thanks for asking!

Reply to this post from 31st December

I think the subtitle of this post might be: Elf grows up.

Now, that is really not fair to her - she was not precisely childish before now. But in this post we see her father talking to not only as a daughter. As a daughter yes, but also as another royal - but with a degree of frankess sometimes possible between family. Of course, during this first scene Elf is always (in some ways) impotent, stripped of her ladies and a virtual prisoner.

The next scene she chooses loneliness, to some extent. The dead can be powerful conversationalists, even when no words are spoken. Their silence can concentrate thoughts in a way impossible were they still alive. If nothing else I woudl call this episode, and the conversation that follows, a tempering experience. It seems to be forging Elf, a self-forging if you will.

The consequence of that is in the scene with Burgheard. It is impossible not to compare this conversation with a powerful man with the conversation with her father. In a sense it is an equally unsatisfactory conversation from Elf's point of view - but there is a difference. She went to her father because she had no choice, she does with this one and it shows. And whereas her father ends their conversation, here she ends in. In this conversation with Burgheard we see her take control.

And final scene is a reflection on this, and a choice. To Bordeaux. To that nest of vipers, to the devil's lair - as the Queen who lays devils and will (I surely dearly hope) demand her due.

So when I planned this out, I had this idea of acts. The Geoffrey/Elf split and Geoffrey/Essa reveal was meant to "end" the first act. Originally, this next act was going to start another year after this in game, with a rather major moment, but certain events proved too enticing not to use as set up for the future. So much like I intro'd this generation with Elf in England, laying hints as to what was to come, I decided to mirror that with this scene here, helping to show how things have changed as we move forward with the next act.

Thus I hoped to show some similarities but many differences between Elf and those she's known. There was almost a caution, feeling out of her in the first prelude chapter back when this started. But she's not the same any more - not to them, and honestly, not to herself. Before, they may have had hope, faint as it was, that they could use her to their own ends. This chapter shows most of them (save Adelise) have abandoned that.

You're not wrong to call her childish btw. I aimed to write her as more mature than her husband, but that's not saying a whole lot. Elf has her own stunted growth due to Tunis and her family (her father is not exactly the most mature man).

She also presents new challenges in terms of writing - writing a character who can both have a strong will and, perhaps, takes liberties with her "place" in society, and yet still finds herself severely limited. It's something I've dealt with before with Agnes and Marguerite, but Elf is different than both of them. She's meant to be harsher and less refined.

But I really like your reads on these individual scenes. They're pretty on point for what I was going for. Obviously a set up of what's to come, but that's more than just foreshadowing future events. It's also showing future personal growth as well, by dropping hints here and there.

Response to this post from January 7th

Finally into 2020!

Ok, that aside, this is an update rich with some wonderful lines and riposts - I am going to quite some.

“Throw me from here, for calling out the deceit and lecherous nature of your family?” Guilhem demanded.
“We are of the same family, uncle,” Geoffrey replied. “On both sides. So I would be careful accusations you throw, given they could be hurled back at you.”

Ahh, good old family squabbles. What I liked about this scene with Guilhem is it shows how Aquitaine's are so thoroughly dominated by the Angevin family itself. The rot is everywhere.

“You have your known mistress for that,” Edouard said.

I really have a lot of time for Edouard in this update, and I think his general comments about Essa may well be prescient. However this little line - and I read it with some emphasis on the word 'known' I think wonderful captures how those "in the know" have to manage this King's fractured relationships.

"If this illness does not drive me to an early grave, then your obstinance will surely finish the job.”

Really just emphasising the idea of how much work it is looking after young Geoffrey. This too has a grimly prophetic ring.

“I will always be your cousin,” Edouard replied. “Everything else may be temporary.”

And this line is just bliss. A true undecutting, in its way, of what Geoffrey was just saying and showing just how shallow the young King sometimes still is - but it links back to the larger way about how this update is all about family.

“I don’t try at all when I am with you,” Ælfflæd said. “And I do not pretend in public. I am the Queen of Aquitaine. I must attend to my duties.”

In a way I am sorry you chose not to write the "reconciliation" but this line is all I had hoped for from the previous post. Indeed I read it again several times just to enjoy its glorious nature. It says something quite clear and definite about Ælffllæd - and a lesson Geoffrey would do well to remember. She truly is not pretending. It also means she is absolutely the one person he can be sure is going to be honest with him.

There were times when his wife’s blunt nature served a purpose.

And this line shows he knows this - but it is a backhanded grudging sort of acknoweldgement. He is a long way from appreciating just what an aid to his ruling Elf might be. I have no idea if he will ever realise it, but the foundation is there. At the end of it all the young Geoffrey is not his father.

Beatritz looked away. “What does it matter brother, I am stranger. As you said.”

This line cuts so deeply, and it illustrates just how Geoffrey can sometimes be callow as well as shallow. But, how best to put this, he does so from honest mistakes, mostly. You can see this in his reaction. There is a gut-punch feeling to it, enough to make him suddenly consider changing his mind. In a sense I think the defining quality that puts young Geoffrey apart from his father and his grandfather is his sense of shame.

“My family is rather stubborn,” Geoffrey said. “Even when seriously ill we do not die quickly. My uncle may have many years left.”

I think calling the Platangenets stubborn is like calling the ocean a bit wet :) This was my favourite comic line of the update (though not the only one)

Glad you enjoyed this chapter. Originally I had envisioned it as a reintroduction of sorts - before I ended up reconfiguring and starting with another Elf chapter and starting earlier in the timeline of events. But the same basic aspects remain - show where everyone is, how they've changed, grown or regressed. And of course, setting up future conflicts.

As you note, it's all very much Angevin. It is one of Geoffrey I's legacies - even more than his father, he's spread Angevin control across this realm. Foulques may have sired more acknowledged sons than Geoffrey, but the latter is who ultimately decided to hand these lands and these powers to his brothers, over his sons. An effort to protect them, yes, but in some ways, just put the conflict off until down the road. It may be better for them - Geoffrey II is likely more able to handle this family mess as a 20 year old than he would be as a 10 year old, but it remains a legacy of the old king.

Re Edouard: With Geoffrey I've aimed to not write him as self-assured (at least for now) as his father and grandfather. But potentially as stubborn. He's more willing to let his close confidants speak (though as you can see, some get far more rope than others), even if he ultimately ignores them. It follows from what he developed as a teen - he was made to listen to others, even as the crown prince, his father, his aunt, his mother, Count Alias, etc.

Of course, he would look to get around actually doing what he was told. Thus you continue to get this dichotomy - Geoffrey lets his confidants speak, and then ignores what they say if he wants to do something else. He has the discipline to not lash out, but the petulance to not actually heed their advice. A lesser man would lose those people, but Geoffrey is insulated to a degree thanks to being king. People want influence. People want power. People also want to be safe, happy and secure - which they hope a good king can provide.

On Elf: I enjoyed it as well. One thing I believe firmly - she can never love Geoffrey. Not after what happened with Ana. There was a level of trust that can never be recovered - she had an impression of him, he had worked to change that in her mind, and then he proved himself to be exactly as she thought him to be originally. And of course, we know, even if we're not sure if Elf does, that he hasn't changed. So it's only a matter of time before it rears it's ugly head again. So any reconciliation will be a hard fought process, that would be as much borne of some necessity than affection.

But as mentioned above, Elf is meant to be strong, like Agnes and Marguerite. But in her own way. Her resistance is different than theirs. But then it can be - because Geoffrey is different than his father and grandfather, even if he has some similar personality traits.

And that comes through in the later lines you point out. I've said it before, but I've aimed to write Geoffrey as much more emotional than his predecessors. But I think that's perhaps not entirely fair to them. Both were quite emotional as well - but they were much better at hiding it to the world. Geoffrey I was a masterclass of that, and rarely let his emotion show to anyone but his closest confidants. Foulques mostly kept it to himself, save for his rage. His guilt, sadness, remained hidden, away from the world.

Geoffrey II is not capable of that, at least not yet. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and is just not able to hide from them as well as his predecessors. So you get scenes like this where he feels the stinging comment - but he almost certainly shows that too on his face. Beatritz can almost certainly see her comment landed - something she'd never have managed with Geoffrey I or Foulques.

Response to this post from 14th January

Sometimes Geoffrey is just like his father.

One particularly interesting development in this post is Geoffrey taking charge in teh battle itself, making a crucial decision - and one that was perhaps not obvious. In a way it is a blending of his father and his grandfather.

As the Countess, I said it was just like his father - but let us be honest it is a family affliction.

The conversation though I find most intriguing in the entirety of the post though is the one he has with Alberic. I wonder what future paths this particular relationship will take, give the somewhat strange nature of it all. A volatile mix if ever there was one.

Finally a note about Foulquesson. Foulquesson is, well there is no doubting him. Even masked he is just so himself. I don't just mean he is a bullying berk, though surely he is. Rather than his own personality, thuggish, brutish, not a little coarse, overpowers any attempt at concealment. This, too, is a frequent Plantagenet trait: not the barbarity, but the strength of their personalities. Even young Geoffrey bears this particular mark, as did his father, as does Agnes, Foulquesson, and others - one might argue that is the true legacy of the Iron Duke.

I have aimed to make Geoffrey an amalgamation of his father and grandfather. Some of that, on his part, is intentional, some of it not. Geoffrey II never knew his grandfather, after all, unlike Foulques the Younger. Thus Geoffrey II is left to piece him together through stories and tales - though interestingly enough, they're colored from his mother and father's perspectives, which might portray him in a lesser light. Thus what Geoffrey *does* take is his triumphs and military successes which can't be denied - which he seeks to emulate.

Alberic and Geoffrey... I think their relationship is one of a lack of understanding. I feel Geoffrey thinks of Alberic as an annoying older brother, with who he thinks he doesn't respect him enough. But Alberic doesn't see things that way - his is one of more caution and suspicion. And it does not help that Geoffrey is clearly much closer with Berard than he is with him. And Ana as well...

I like that assessment of Foulques' legacy! You're right - in the ones we've spent time with, their personalities are powerful. Unyielding and resilient - for better and for worse.

Response to this post from 21st January

I get the horrible feeling of this friendship just starting to go awry - I really don't think Geoffrey understands that Berard has two people of far greater import in his life now that Geoffrey ever was and ever can be. And Berard does not condemn - he offers counsel, but does not condemn. However, you can see hints here where, to Geoffrey, he expected his best friend to condone - and he is shocked that he did not. Shocked enough not to demand the attentions of the lady, demands she plainly expected.

Indeed there is the sense of disaster stinking all about this update. Do we have a storm foretold? The wreck of his arrangements? Is the messy meaning with the Count a forestaste of a more personal calamity as his house of cards is blown over? Essa is, it seems, well on its way to being an open secret. As they saying goes three men can keep a secret if two of them are dead - and far too many people know about Essa now. Edouard may yet be put in his grave.

The somewhat shambolic negotiations ... well Berard has a point, his own sense of aggravation helped shock matters to where he got his endgame - but damned it was untidy. I mean, it is not as if his father and grandfather didn't have problems wtih things going pear-shaped. Geoffrey Elder in particular could get so wrapped up in his own justifications and was so self-centred he started to get blindsided when people thought differently than he thought they might. Geoffrey Younger's chaos is caused though more from lack of preparation.

But then, in many senses a good many of his disasters so far have been from that. I mean, the whole fallout from Ana was one such.

And this leads me back to Berard. Geoffrey is impulsive, and he often really doesn't get the consequences of his actions. Berard is forgiving, tolerant to a fault even - but Geoffrey as he is now is still so very capable of doing something to cross Berard to a place that is beyond anyone's ability to bear. I hope not, but I fear it.

A lot of people got that sense from this chapter, and I can see why. There is an ominous nature to the "victory" Berard gets, as if it is temporary. And in some way it is. I'll also note that I have aimed to write all of these close knit relationships as having their high points and low points - as most relationships do. It is a force to both show current change in characters, but also either force future change... or show a stubborn resistance to it!

You're also right to pick up the ominous nature of all of this - that some calamity awaits. I can't say more, but... Geoffrey's not going to enjoy the next few months/year nearly as much as he did the previous.

Your read on the cause of Geoffrey's problems is on point as well. It's what happens when one only understands part of the message. Geoffrey II knows shows are important, based on his father. But he makes a mistake - he preps himself, but fails to prep others. Geoffrey I would never have done that. Everything was planned. Everything curated. He built a group of people around him to do it as well - Alias was very much in tune with that. Agnes slid right in, while Marguerite, in her less bitter moments, was willing to play along.

But I think it's in line with Geoffrey's II selfishness. Obviously that's not a new trait for this family. But Geoffrey II's selfishness pairs with his short-sightedness to trip him up. It's what did him in over the Ana situation, it could with Essa, and it does here, even if it doesn't end in disaster.

As for Berard... I've tried to show his growth from a idolizing yes boy, to a young adult who wants to both do right by his friend but also is coming into his own. He has new responsibilities, new influences. Just as Geoffrey does. And they will not always be harmonious.

As always @stnylan I greatly enjoy your analysis. I hope you continue to enjoy things as we move forward. The next set of chapters for you are rather momentous, especially for a long-time reader like yourself, so I really do hope you enjoy them.

To all - the next chapter will follow in a bit. And I hope you all enjoy it as well!

Reactions:
Chapter 252 - September 1133
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 252
September 1133 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

Geoffrey’s breathing was shallow as he stood in his strategy hall. His gloved hands rested on the wooden table before him, while his eyes slowly moved back and forth between the people around it. His councilors… save one.

His stomach twisted in anticipation with one prevailing thought on his mind.

Lose this battle, and I could well lose this war.

It was not traditional combat that Geoffrey faced on this day - the type he had once thought would be all a king ever dealt with. And yet, his late aunt had drilled into him the fact that this battle could be far more dangerous than any melee.

“The council can stymie even the most powerful kings,” Agnes had warned. “And those who ignore them, do so at their own peril. You need only to look toward the Capetian kings for proof.”

She was not wrong. King Philippe I of the Franks had, with Geoffrey grandfather Foulques’ help, turned himself from a helpless welp to one of the strongest men in Europe. Then with one decision, he had sown the seeds of his destruction. And that of his kingdom.

He had wanted war with the heathens of Valencia. But Philippe’s council, filled with snakes out for his destruction, blocked him. Arrogantly, Philippe had demanded their levies and gone to war anyway - giving his enemies the excuse they needed to revolt while he was away in Iberia.

The result ultimately was the king’s death by an assassin’s hand, the raising of his mad brother Hughes, who himself would later refuse the will of his council.
Allowing my father to destroy the Kingdom of the Franks, Geoffrey mused. And forge Aquitaine.

That had been a dream many would have called impossible. But his father had made it reality - the bounds of what a man should have been capable of, at times, seemed to need not apply to him.

It was that dream which Geoffrey wanted to emulate at times, and thought himself willing to eschew the council if they did not fall into line.

I shall take England. And they will learn their place.

“You would take your entire levy of 18,000 men across the channel… all while having sown rebellion in your kingdom? It is if you seek to emulate Philippe!”

Agnes had been dead for a few years, but Geoffrey could still hear her voice in his head. Reminding him of his limitations. Of the realities of his situation.

“You are a king. Not God.”

At this moment, he wished she was here in the flesh. He was certain she would back this - she had been Ælfflæd’s greatest ally after all. And she would know how to navigate the council - perhaps even bring Guilhem to heel. Heck, perhaps had Agnes still lived, Navarra would already be in his hands.

But Agnes was not here. And Geoffrey would have to make do with the councilors he did have.

On that front, his uncle Adhemar stood at the corner of the table to his left. Berard opposite the Duke of Gascony, to Geoffrey’s right. They were his allies in this endeavor - regardless of their own reservations over Geoffrey’s plans, they had agreed it was best to see it through.

Across the table - the dissenters. The reachable ones at least.

Prince-Bishop Emmanuel and with him, Bishop Edouard. A year ago, Geoffrey would have sought his cousin first, but had come to realize Edouard was not the reliable loyalist he’d hoped.

Regardless of bonds of blood, Edouard was a man of God now. As such, he followed the will of the highest ranking church official in Aquitaine, Prince-Bishop Emmanuel.

Get one, and get both, Geoffrey knew.

The other man at the table was Count Douard of Aurilliac. The spymaster probably would require less arm twisting to fall into line - he owed Geoffrey for his lands after all - but was far less influential than the clergy members on the council.

And absent from this was Duke Guilhem - Geoffrey had no intention of dealing with him directly. At least not yet - he only wished for one battle on this day.
His absence, however, did not go unnoticed.

“I see Duke Guilhem is missing,” Emmanuel noted.

“He was not invited, so it is no surprise,” Geoffrey replied.

“I see,” Emmnauel said.

The hall fell silent and Geoffrey let the quiet hang in the air. Finally, Adhemar added: “This is not an official council meeting. The king simply wished to speak to us… because he values our opinion.”

Geoffrey nodded. That was the explanation Adhemar had given him earlier when he voiced his concern that it would look as if he fired Duke Guilhem. It sounded acceptable then… but it did appear more suspicious now.

“So there will be no votes here today?” Emmanuel asked.

“None,” Adhemar said. “The king simply wishes to discuss a few matters of importance to the realm. Informally. And we are all rather busy these days, finding a singular time for us all seemed the best idea.”

“I see,” Emmanuel replied. “And what is the matter you wish to discuss, my king?”

Before Geoffrey could answer, Adhemar again jumped in.

“First, Bishop Edouard was explaining to me these strange occurrences in the skies,” Adhemar said. “And that it has been causing unrest in the populace?”

Geoffrey would not have gone with that first, but he had heard something about it. There had been quite a few nights where shooting stars had been sighted in the night sky. And then, a few weeks back, a comet had been seen.

“Under normal circumstances, yes, the appearance of such a thing might have been seen as dangerous,” Edouard said. “It would have hurt the stability of the realm.”

“You said ‘under normal circumstances,’” Geoffrey noted. “So what’s different?”

“The queen’s pregnancy, actually,” Emmanuel explained. “We have been able to explain the sighting with some other strange… events in the skies as proof God is pleased you two have another child on the way.”

“And is it true?” Geoffrey asked.

Emmanuel and Edouard traded glances before the prince-bishop replied: “We think…”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “You think?”

“Nothing is certain,” Emmanuel said. “But the signs are good.”

Geoffrey nodded. He wished he received a more forceful vote of confidence from Emmanuel, but it was better than nothing. After all, Ælfflæd was rather important to his plans these days. He needed her safe and sound.

1133-Good-omens-for-Elf.jpg

“I was wondering,” Adhemar continued. “Could it be a sign for other things?”

“Such as?” Emmanuel asked.

“Perhaps it is an omen of good fortune for the king in other ways,” Adhemar said. “For these events appear extraordinary. And, forgive me if I speak out of turn, but a woman swelling with a child is rather mundane, even if it is the queen.”

“I hardly think the arrival of a new prince or princess is mundane, uncle,” Edouard said.

“Understood, nephew,” Adhemar said. “I just mean… we look to grander things. And now we have a grand event happening over our skies. Could they be related?”

Emmanuel and Edouard traded glances before the prince-bishop replied: “I would not say that, Duke Adhemar.”

“Surely you can see why one might think that,” Adhemar argued.

“I can,” Emmanuel said. “But I would be wary of making that interpretation. Some may take strong offense to such things.”

“Do you?” Geoffrey blurted out.

Emmanuel paused for a moment before replying: “I understand the desire to find support for your actions, King Geoffrey. I just warn the matter is complicated.”

“Well, signs aside, where do you stand on the matter?” Geoffrey asked.

Geoffrey watched as Emmanuel and Douard’s heads dropped. Edouard’s gaze went away from Geoffrey entirely, and toward the hall’s exit. Meanwhile, the king caught sight of Berard, who’s gaze seemed to say “I warned you.”

It prompted the king to drop his eyes to the table before him, leaning his full weight forward. He knew it was coming. But it didn’t mean he had to like it.

“What exactly is your problem with this?” Geoffrey asked them. “The queen has claim to the throne - far more than this Ecgwyn - the child of a usurper, who himself was the grandson of a usurper.”

“And to restore the line of House Stawell,” Berard added. “The family who won back the Holy Land for Christendom.”

“House Stawell *is* well regarded among the church,” Emmanuel said. “And I know what happened with the nobles was unpopular in Rome. But fighting to make her a queen in her own right…”

Emmanuel shook his head, leaving Geoffrey to look away, lest he say something he shouldn’t to a man of God. But after a few deep breaths he did turn back to the prince-bishop.

“A queen against a usurper queen,” Geoffrey said. “Or daughter of a usurper king. It is not as if we fight to replace a man… which, may I remind you, my father did with Duchess Essa.”

“It is not that which rankles Rome,” Emmanuel said. “That you fight for a woman against a woman, is not a bother. It is that you fight for this woman.”

“My queen?” Geoffrey asked. “Why wouldn’t I? She is my wife. Mother to my son, and to my child which grows in her belly as we speak.”

“Because she is not beloved by Rome,” Emmanuel said.

“Because of Martinus?” Geoffrey demanded. “He is ill. He may not be with us much longer.”

“But he lives still,” Emmanuel noted. “And we have fewer friends in the college of Cardinals than we did previously.”

Geoffrey again lowered his head. He had received the bad news a few months before - Cardinal Arrigo was no more.

Despite his youthfulness and his high position in the clergy which afforded him ambitions of the papacy, it appeared God did not grant him favor. Arrigo had collapsed during a sermon in Tivoli, and was unable to be revived.

Geoffrey suspected foul play, but nothing had been discovered. It left the king powerless to do much else but send a small gift to Arrigo’s brother, the Baron Pietro, who himself had suffered the indignity of having his wife fall into Martinus’ clutches, and move on, knowing he had lost a powerful ally in his future battles with Rome.

And if this conversation was proof of anything it was that there would be future battles.

1133-Arrigo-dies.jpg

1133-Pietro-cuckolded.jpg

“So you mean to tell me Martinus wishes to block me from taking the crown for my wife?” Geoffrey asked.

Emmanuel sighed. “I have not asked permission yet. But I would expect it would not be well-looked upon to elevate her any further.”

Berard looked up: “Then tell them she won’t truly be queen in her own right. Geoff… excuse me, my king. Tell him of your planned arrangement.”

Geoffrey nodded. ““She will rule them… but it will be as if she were a powerful lord under my rule. Do I interfere in Gascony, uncle Adhemar? Or in the affairs of your bishopric, Edouard? Or in Agen, Prince-Bishop Emmanuel? No, but do I rule over all of Aquitaine?”

Now it was Adhemar’s turn to sigh. “I am not sure that will prove any better, nephew. Am I right, my prince-bishop?”

Emmanuel slowly nodded. “It is true, there is dislike of Queen Ælfflæd because of her actions toward the Holy Father. But it is not the only reason the church will not care for this.

Geoffrey’s gaze shifted between his uncle and the prince-bishop. “Explain.”

“The church gave you leave to act in Navarra and with it, Iberia,” Emmanuel said. “Now you wish to add England to the realm? It will look as if you seek to make the entirety of Western Europe your own.”

“Is that a problem?” Geoffrey demanded. “Charlemagne did it.”

“Charlemagne stayed out of England, and did not venture far into Iberia,” Emmanuel said.

“He went into Italy,” Adhemar said. “But the point is taken - the church wishes an Aquitaine strong enough to deal with its enemies… but not too strong that it cannot be controlled.”

“Is that the case?” Geoffrey demanded of Emmanuel.

“Officially, no,” Emmanuel said. “Unofficially… yes. Now, if there was a way to restore House Stawell without raising the queen further…”

“I would not be interested,” Geoffrey said. “I will not spill Aquitaine blood to prop up a weak child.”

“Then that leaves us at an impasse,” Emmanuel said.

Geoffrey shook his head, the frustration and rage building in him. He was on the verge of taking a kingdom - of doing something that no ruler had done since the days of Charlemagne. And he was to be blocked by the church… because they wished to defend the honor of a would-be rapist of his wife?

“I have had en--” he began.

“Nephew, if I may,” Adhemar interrupted. “Emmanuel, have you been told we are forbidden from undertaking this action? Or is it… just frowned upon?”

“Nothing is official yet,” Emmanuel said. “For our king has not stated anything officially. It is just what I have been told - it is frowned upon… or will be, should the king decide upon that course.”

“Frowned upon,” Geoffrey said. “But not forbidden. Is that what you tell me?”

Emmanuel shifted as he stood at the table. But eventually he nodded.

“I can deal with frowns,” Geoffrey said. “What do we have to do to make sure it doesn’t become more than that?’

“They will be reluctant to intervene on behalf of a girl queen,” Emmanuel admitted. “And the church is directly involved in a war to stop the Kaiser from seizing church lands. So… perhaps a few signs of goodwill here would be enough?”

1133-HRE-takes-on-Europe.jpg

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “How much? And to who?”

Emmanuel turned his gaze to Bishop Edouard who then spoke up.

“The church in the town wishes to organize a Miracle play,” Edouard said. “But it will be rather expensive to put on. If you could fund it.”

Bribery, Geoffrey thought. He was fairly certain that was a sin.

But the cause was good enough - and he might have done it anyway in hopes for earning favor for the trials to come.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “That will be fine. Whatever they need, they shall have.”

1133-Miracle-play.jpg

“Your generosity remains one of your finest virtues, my king,” Emmanuel said.

“Then that is squared away?” Geoffrey asked. “I shall have your support for this action?”

“When I am permitted to by my oath to Duke Guilhem,” Emmanuel said. “The end of the year.”

Nodding, Geoffrey then turned his gaze to Bishop Edouard. “What say you, cousin?”

“The same,” Edouard said. “You will have my support.”

Geoffrey smiled. With Berard and Adhemar already aligned with him, that was technically all he needed. But he still looked to the Count of Aurilliac next.

Douard had been silent, as was commonplace for him at these types of meetings. Not that it was a problem - it probably suited a spymaster more to be neither seen nor heard.

“What about you, my good Count of Aurilliac?” Geoffrey asked.

“My oaths run a few months longer than the others,” Douard admitted. “But once my vote is my own once more, you shall have my support, King Geoffrey. It is the least I can do to repay you for my mistake with Lord Guilhem.”

“You can also repay me by telling me how I can gain his vote, so that we might move forward in attacking England before the end of the year,” Geoffrey said.

Douard nodded. “He has mentioned the Kingdom of the Franks to me, my king. He wants to war with Alphonse - especially now, since his attention is diverted in Mallorca.”

Geoffrey again nodded. The old count of Mallorca, who had rebelled with Geoffrey’s father against the old King of the Franks, had passed. It left a child count, and Alphonse had used the opportunity to try to bring the island under the domain of the Franks once more, aiming to make his cousin Yves the new lord.

1133-Alphonse-war-for-Mallorca.jpg

“Is that the only thing he wants?” Geoffrey asked Douard. “I cannot divert my attention to a war with the Franks now - England is more than enough for us to handle.”

“I think he would accept allowing you to release his knights and the young Duke Simon’s for his own war,” Douard said.

“We’ve had this discussion,” Geoffrey said. “I refused with Navarra and this is a much more dangerous fight. I’ll not invade England with one hand tied behind my back.”

“Understood,” Douard said. “He argues, however, it is also to deal a hammer blow to Alphonse’s forces. Perhaps sow discontent by inflicting a heavy defeat upon him.”

“I’m not worried about Alphonse,” Geoffrey said. “His best time to strike was years ago. We’ve grown stronger much faster than him.”

“Agreed, but he could be in position to gain strength quickly,” Douard said. “Given the situation in Flanders.”

Geoffrey scratched his head. “Situation? He did not take Flanders from my cousin, just Sens. They have a truce. It will be some time before he can move against them again, unless he wishes to draw the ire of every lord in his realm and beyond.”

“Agreed, but if his cousin Duke Leonard is successful,” Douard said.

“Duke Leonard?” Geoffrey asked. “As in my cousin, the former king? Why would he aid Alphonse in anything?”

Douard looked to Duke Adhemar. “You have not told him?

“The focus has been primarily on England,” Adhemar said.

Geoffrey eyed both of them. “What is going on?”

“Duke Leonard has attacked the weakened Duke Boudewijn ,” Adhemar explained. “He seeks to make his uncle Prince Yves, the new duke.”

“The same Yves who Alphonse fights for in Mallorca?” Geoffrey demanded.

“Yes,” Adhemar said.

“Why?” Geoffrey asked. “Why would they look to prop up Yves? He has no land, right?”

“I suspect Alphonse figured he could remove a potential rival by ‘granting him’ a county in the middle of the sea, far away from the Frankish nobility,” Adhemar said. “But Duke Leonard believes he could gain a valuable ally, should he one day wish to reclaim the throne. To add to the powerful one he already has in the King of Denmark.”

Geoffrey knew the King of Denmark had married Leonard’s mother, and Geoffrey’s aunt, Bella. But he did not know she had managed to convince her husband to fight alongside her son.

“Is this so bad then?” Berard asked. “It seems as if while Alphonse sought to perhaps send Yves to sort of exile, he will instead prove a powerful rival much closer to home.”

“That’s a good point,” Geoffrey noted. “It could lead to more internal fighting in the Kingdom of the Franks between the two sides of House Capet. And to say nothing if the Duke of Burgundy fancies pressing his own claim.”

“If,” Adhemar said. “But it is worth considering they might remain unified enough to pose a threat to us, should we fail in our actions in England. If Leonard succeeds, and it looks as he will, Alphonse will nominally hold all the lands his father once did, save Aquitaine and Anjou.”

1133-Boudewijn-losing-to-Leonard.jpg

The rest of the council, save Berard, nodded, leaving Geoffrey to rub his eyes in frustration. He really did hate that his uncle might have a point.

“England is too ripe a target to pass on,” Geoffrey repeated. “Think on this - Alphonse adds a duchy. We add a kingdom. Who benefits more? Who will be stronger afterward?”

“He gains a county and duchy with a little gold and few knights lost,” Adhemar warned. “We gain a kingdom through the blood of our knights. I’m not saying it’s not a worthy trade… but we may be weaker, for a time, even should we succeed.”

Geoffrey leaned forward again and sighed. Turning his gaze to Berard, he asked: “What do you say to this?”

Berard stroked his chin as he appeared to sink into deep thought. Finally he replied: “They make fine points. But you have worked hard to claim England. I think that must come first - it is not every day one can lay claim to a kingdom.”

Adhemar leaned forward. “I agree. And there may be other ways to deal with Alphonse as well. An opportunity, even.”

“I’m listening,” Geoffrey said.

“Currently, he has no sons,” Adhemar said. “His eldest daughter could be a fine match for your brother.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “She is our first cousin. It is too close a union.” He looked to Edouard and Emmanuel. “Am I right?”

“Perhaps, perhaps not,” Emmanuel said. “The church does not want war between our kingdom and the Franks. If a marriage between cousins prevents that… we have sanctioned worse.”

“Are we sure that’s wise?” Berard asked. “Giving Prince Alias a road to a crown… it could eventually prompt a war between us anyway. Just as Prince Yves has been used against Flanders.”

Geoffrey nodded at that. “A good point. We will need to more closely look at our options.”

“Agreed,” Adhemar said. “In the meantime… Count Douard, I think it would be unwise to promise Guilhem a war with Alphonse.”

“If you can’t, know that I do not think there is any way for us to gain his support,” Douard warned.

“It does not matter,” Berard said. “It will take time to prepare properly for an invasion of England, will it not? We will need a some months to ready ourselves with ships and supplies, especially if you plan to take your full 18,000 across the channel.”

“And I do,” Geoffrey said.

“Then let Guilhem delay,” Berard said. “At the start of the year, you openly declare your intention to make Ælfflæd queen of England, with you as her king.”

“And I trust none of you plan to spring any other surprises on me?” Geoffrey asked. When no one replied, Geoffrey added: “Very well. Bishop Edouard, you may see to it the funds for the Miracle play are released.”

“At the end of the year,” Adhemar added. “Once we are certain the funds are present.”

Geoffrey eyed his uncle. There were more than enough funds - regardless of what the next few months brought. But the king then realized the point - to ensure the clergymen abided by their promise.

The clergymen and the spymaster departed the hall, leaving Geoffrey with Adhemar and Berard. The king breathed a sigh of relief.

“That could have been worse,” Geoffrey said. “Good thinking on seeing how forceful Rome’s disapproval was, uncle.”

“It is our saving grace in this instance,” Adhemar said. “But don’t think that will be end of it.”

“We just need to outlast Martinus,” Geoffrey said.

“It will be more than him, as Emmanuel hinted,” Adhemar said. “The queen’s insult to the Holy Father is a matter of principle to some. It is not likely to be forgotten, so long as she lives - even if he does not.”

“What are they going to do?” Geoffrey asked. “They will risk excommunicating me, after I have Aquitaine and England under my control?”

“I don’t know,” Adhemar admitted. “But we should be wary. There are other ways to undermine kings besides excommunication.”

“I will deal with that when it happens,” Geoffrey said. “In the meantime, we make certain nothing else happens to undermine us. I do not want another Navarra, understood?”

“Yes, nephew,” Adhemar said. “I will monitor all three of the councilors. And see if I hear anything with Duke Guilhem.”
….

But as it turned out, Geoffrey would be the first to hear from the Duke of Poitou.

It was the next day, with Guilhem catching Geoffrey as he was walking back to his chamber after his morning ride. The guards present initially stopped the duke, but Geoffrey allowed his uncle the right to speak to him, though he motioned for him to follow to a nearby empty room.

When the door was closed, Guilhem glared at him.

“You are conducting council meetings without me?” Guilhem demanded.

“Council meeting?” Geoffrey asked. “I called no council meeting.”

“You met with Prince-Bishop Emmanuel, Duke Adhemar, Bishop Edouard, the Count of Aurilliac and Berard de Perigord,” Guilhem said. “All members of your council.”
“Council members yes,” Geoffrey said. “But I wished their opinion on some matters that had been weighing upon me. It was easier to gather them together than ask each man separately.”

He recited Adhemar’s reasoning as well as he could have hoped. It did not appear to matter as Guilhem narrowed his gaze. “You seek to argue technicalities?”

“It is nothing technical about it,” Geoffrey said. “I am king. I can speak to who I wish, when I wish, without anyone’s permission. And that’s all it was. No votes held, just… discussions.”

“Discussions,” Guilhem said. “I know you seek to gain support for your war with England. Without my knowledge.”

“We discussed many things,” Geoffrey said. “Such as the omens in the sky, which indicate good news with my wife’s pregnancy.”

“And England never came up,” Guilhem demanded.

“It did,” Geoffrey replied. “And I received strong support from those present.”

“When they are allowed to vote with you,” Guilhem said.

“Yes,” Geoffrey replied. “Though, if you would be reasonable, you could benefit from it as well. But you are insistent on making me wait another few months… only for me to be able to get my war anyway come the new year.”

“That is if the situation is still suitable for such things,” Guilhem said. “But the English could wise up - and choose someone other than an underage girl. Or the church may intervene.”

While Geoffrey had some confidence he could keep the church at bay with his donation, if the English replaced Ecgwyn with a proper king in the next few months - the situation would be complicated. It might then prompt the church to do more than frown at his ambition.

“So then what would you want?” Geoffrey demanded, suspecting his councilors had already provided him the answer.

“War with the Franks,” Guilhem replied.

1133-Guilhem-war-target.jpg

“It would be shorter for me to wait,” Geoffrey said.

“After you are done with this English war,” Guilhem said. “Your assurances that King Alphonse would be next. Given his efforts to strengthen his realm, and his ambition to reclaim his father’s kingdom in full, I would think it a wise choice.”

“I have promised my brother Navarra,” Geoffrey said. “Which he might already have if not for your stubbornness and greed. That would be next. Nay, it must be next.”

“Appeasing your brother is not my concern,” Guilhem said.

“Perhaps it should be,” Geoffrey said. “It would make all of this easier.”

“I may reconsider when this is done,” Guilhem said. “In the meantime, if you wish my vote, then our focus should be on the Franks next.”

To that, Geoffrey could not give any assurances. He had no idea what his world would look like once he had subdued England… however long that took. And he knew his brother was already disappointed to know Navarra was put off indefinitely.

But with England, Alias could understand. After Geoffrey’s rhetoric with Guihelm before, the king doubted his brother could be appeased in a war with the Franks.
It was true that Geoffrey could lie to either of them, but he was no oathbreaker - even to an uncle who he believed few would fault him for running afoul of.

“No,” Geoffrey said. “I do not know nearly enough of what is to come to offer you a promise. I can give you gold for mercenaries. But nothing else.”

“Then you will have to wait for your war,” Guilhem said.

1133-Guilhem-refuses-bribe.jpg

“And you will get nothing,” Geoffrey retorted. “Foolishly.”

“Nothing from you,” Guilhem replied. “But kings are not the only road for such things.”

The duke then left the king alone, with Geoffrey eyeing him as he walked off.

What did he mean by that, Geoffrey wondered.

Not that he could have asked him. Guilhem would never give up such things.

But does he aim to again stop me from my war?

Geoffrey shook his head. It did him little good to wonder. He would dispatch his spymaster to trail the duke and, if Guilhem tried anything, not be caught off guard again.

….

It was nearly a month later when Geoffrey heard something.

On that day, Geoffrey was in the courtyard. Many of his household knights were present, sparring in full mail, with shields and dull swords, getting ready for the war they had been told was coming.

The king himself was taking part, though he did not engage any of the knights, choosing instead to battle Berard.

When they were younger, Berard’s smaller stature and relative inexperience made him easy pickings for Geoffrey. And the king figured it would be more of the same on this day as well.

But Berard surprised him with his shield work, blocking and meeting all of Geoffrey’s assaults. He even managed a deft counter, managing to get the king off balance, though Geoffrey was able to get his shield up and get distance between them before Berard could find his mail with his dull blade.

“You’ve gotten better,” Geoffrey said.

“Thank you,” Berard said. “I have been practicing, given I know we will be at war soon enough.”

“I dare you are better than your brother,” Geoffrey told him.

“Damning with faint praise?” Berard asked.

“I’d be damned if I praised Alberic’s swordsmanship at all,” Geoffrey replied. “But seriously, you have improved. It is good to see.”

“Well, unlike your other councilors, I figure to have a place by your side on the battlefield,” Berard said. “I need to be at my best.”

It brought a smile to Geoffrey’s face. While he’d taken Berard with him in the past on campaigns, he always wondered how much his friend could stomach it. After all, Berard’s father, the late Count Alias, made no secret of his distaste of venturing into battle with Geoffrey’s father.

“Again?” Berard asked.

Geoffrey tapped his shield with his sword to indicate he was ready, but then had to straight up from his battle stance almost immediately when he saw Count Douard approach. Upon seeing Geoffrey’s posture change, Berard turned back to the spymaster as well.

“Douard’s not normally out here,” Berard said. “I wonder what he wants.”

“Let us see,” Geoffrey said as he walked over to the spymaster.

“I bring news from Poitou,” Count Douard said.

Geoffrey nodded. Duke Guilhem had left the palace a few days after his argument with the king, returning to Poitou for “personal business.” What that business was, he would not reveal, but Geoffrey had instructed Count Douard to find out.

When Douard reported back the duke appeared to be preparing for a large feast or gathering, it left Geoffrey to wonder if he planned a rebellion. Or maybe he would attack Alphonse on his own.

“What has Guilhem done?” Berard asked.

“Decided to go at Alphonse on his own?” Geoffrey asked. “Or do I need to prepare my men here to march on Poitou?”

Douard shook his head. “Nothing when it comes to war, at least not yet. His planned feast was in fact a wedding ceremony.”

“For himself, or a betrothal for one of his sons?” Geoffrey asked.

“For himself,” Douard said.

Geoffrey and Berard traded glances before the king shrugged. “I suppose I must offer some sort of congratulations to him? Send him some sort of gift?”

“He did not think to invite you,” Berard said. “So why bother?”

“My father would say certain things are required,” Geoffrey said. “For show.”

“I don’t know if he’d have done it after a snub,” Berard said.

Geoffrey shrugged. “He has not snubbed me yet. Has he?”

“He has married,” Douard said. “It happened a few days ago - my rider came south as quickly as possible to tell me.”

“Already married?!” Geoffrey snapped. “Impossible. To who?!”

Douard took a deep breath. “Lady Marguerite.”

“My mother?!” Geoffrey snapped in disbelief, given he was pretty certain she had not left Bordeaux.

“No, not your mother,” Douard said. “Your cousin… niece… the daughter of Duke Foulquesson and your sister, Duchess Beatritz.”

1133-Marguerite-marries-Guilhem.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Influence has shifted again in Rome, and as Geoffrey has lost his ally in the college of cardinals, he has to find other ways to deal with the church in the future. For now, thanks to Adhémar, it didn't impede his progress any further.

This time, Guilhem's move was a little more previsible. He's gathering support. In the end, Geoffrey could not have to contend with Alphonse while he's on campaign in England, but perhaps with the marshal he's at odds with.

Then again, there's the betrothal of Princess Aines and Foulquesson's gratitude for the Breton lands, so there's probably nothing to worry about for him. Guilhem may just be looking for more allies in his aim to fight Alphonse.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good, it seems the troublesome nay voters will soon switch sides.... But will it take so long that Queen Ecgywn will be dethroned in favor of an adult male.... Such a thing would be disastrous for Geoffrey's cause... Interesting to see that there are good omens for the Queen's pregnancy, hopefully the child will be well worth the wait. That marriage between Guilhem and his own niece, is certainly rather shocking, especially given the ill will with Folquesson, let us hope that the Duke of Brittany does not assist Guilhem in his troublesome endeavors. Excellent chapter!!!

Reactions:
Lose this battle, and I could well lose this war.
Indeed. He could lose his Kingdom like this. Thankfully Geoff seems to have learned some prudence.

That had been a dream many would have called impossible. But his father had made it reality - the bounds of what a man should have been capable of, at times, seemed to need not apply to him.
Like banging his sister.

“The queen’s pregnancy, actually,” Emmanuel explained. “We have been able to explain the sighting with some other strange… events in the skies as proof God is pleased you two have another child on the way.”
Is this the child of destiny event?

“Because of Martinus?” Geoffrey demanded. “He is ill. He may not be with us much longer.”

“But he lives still,” Emmanuel noted. “And we have fewer friends in the college of Cardinals than we did previously.”
Dammit. Geoff will have to look into who the new heir to the Papacy is.

Geoffrey suspected foul play, but nothing had been discovered. It left the king powerless to do much else but send a small gift to Arrigo’s brother, the Baron Pietro, who himself had suffered the indignity of having his wife fall into Martinus’ clutches, and move on, knowing he had lost a powerful ally in his future battles with Rome.
Way to rub salt in the wound shagsty.

“But the point is taken - the church wishes an Aquitaine strong enough to deal with its enemies… but not too strong that it cannot be controlled.”
Honestly, that seems to be the Church's attitude towards all kings.

“They will be reluctant to intervene on behalf of a girl queen,” Emmanuel admitted. “And the church is directly involved in a war to stop the Kaiser from seizing church lands. So… perhaps a few signs of goodwill here would be enough?”
Flanders is on there side, though as we shall see they can ill afford to spare the troops. Pope Emperor fights are nothing new. I hope the Kaiser kicks Shagsty's teeth in. Speaking of fights with the Pope how is Charles's daughter, the little Queen of Hungary doing?

“Your generosity remains one of your finest virtues, my king,” Emmanuel said.
Indeed it does.

Douard nodded. “He has mentioned the Kingdom of the Franks to me, my king. He wants to war with Alphonse - especially now, since his attention is diverted in Mallorca.”
The map will later show the Maloricans somehow managing to besiege Normandy. This game. Alphonse though is earning the name "The Great". Phillipe would be so bad that his boy has managed to undo so much of what he fucked up.

“Agreed, but if his cousin Duke Leonard is successful,” Douard said.

“Duke Leonard?” Geoffrey asked. “As in my cousin, the former king? Why would he aid Alphonse in anything?”

Douard looked to Duke Adhemar. “You have not told him?

“The focus has been primarily on England,” Adhemar said.

Geoffrey eyed both of them. “What is going on?”

“Duke Leonard has attacked the weakened Duke Boudewijn ,” Adhemar explained. “He seeks to make his uncle Prince Yves, the new duke.”
Yves is truly a lucky boy, though governing these two far spaced holdings could prove difficult. On the one hand, I'm always down to see Allerade's Descendents prosper. On the other, I can't help but feel bad for Ermengarde. Ah well. So long as she and her children aren't executed or imprisoned in a dungeon for life they will still live better than 99.9 percent of the population.

Geoffrey knew the King of Denmark had married Leonard’s mother, and Geoffrey’s aunt, Bella. But he did not know she had managed to convince her husband to fight alongside her son.
Finally, the Danes prove useful to France. Alphonse must have been pissed. "You never lifted a finger to help my father keep his throne but now you help give my cousin a Duchy?" Have Bella and the King of Denmark had any children? Good to see Bella doing her mother proud.

“Currently, he has no sons,” Adhemar said. “His eldest daughter could be a fine match for your brother.”
Ironically the issue of consanguinity will not be a real problem, as the Crown Princess is actually the chile of Duke Giles. I'd advise going ahead with the match, as long as you get a nonaggression pact to go with it.

Douard took a deep breath. “Lady Marguerite.”

“My mother?!” Geoffrey snapped in disbelief, given he was pretty certain she had not left Bordeaux.

“No, not your mother,” Douard said. “Your cousin… niece… the daughter of Duke Foulquesson and your sister, Duchess Beatritz.”
I would love to be in the room when that betrothal was discussed. I doubt Foulquesson would ever say yes to this. I suspect it was the doing of Duchess Beatriz and her son. The duchess has been estranged from her husband and is probably seeking security for her children. She, unlike her husband, has no reason to hate Guilhielm. Indeed they might sympathize, due to parentage both are simultaneously amongst the highest ranks of Aquetains nobility, and yet social lepers. Her son may also have had a hand in it, hence that whole conversation about putting aside old hatreds. Good to see the bride and groom seem ok with each other. I hope to God they don't have children because the inbreeding on those would be..interesting. I love how Geoff spent all this time warning about Consanguinity while Guilhielm just went ahead and married his niece, who is officially the child of another Uncle Neice marriage. Guielhielm now has the two strongest dukes in the realm in his corner. He is well-positioned to launch a war against either Alphonse or the King.

Reactions: