• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That made for an interesting battle scene. A shake-up to our usual ones. Everything of note has pretty much been said by previous posters.

A little surprised that the conquest of the Bretons did not have priority in the reign of Geoff I, but I suppose empowering another brother wouldn't exactly be a wise decision considering Guilhem stands as a reminder to what could possibly happen.

In any case, looks like eventually the Bretons will capitulate to Angevin rule, whether now or further into the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulquesson won't be long for this world so empowering him won't cause any harm. If anything it is good that Geof strengthens his other vassals, but it won't be nearly enough to check a united Poitou and Toulouse.

Reactions:
at least he had the common sense to just leave her after....

Yes he did. Of course, no law says he can't return to the well again...

I suppose Geoffrey is accustomed to winning conquests in both the field of battle and the bedroom... I'd hate to see how he responds to defeat in either though. Hopefully his uncles never find out about his affairs with their wives and hopefully Folquesson is grateful to Geoffrey for his intervention. Perhaps if the captive Irish king does not completely bankrupt himself he may be able to unite Eire(a rare but nice occurance). Great chapter as usual and thank you for your hard work and dedication.

He is getting there - already having won two impressive battles and seducing multiple women before the age of 21. But if you're curious as to how he'll act when things don't go his way... don't worry. We'll see that in time. Setbacks and frustrations are coming.

Thanks. I do enjoy writing these chapters, even if they take a lot of time to put together!

Geoffrey is worse than his father at this point. He just loves sleeping with his uncle's wives. I'd say that Folquesson should be safe, but given Geoffrey I, that's no guarantee.

The battle was a pretty enjoyable affair, too. Even if he had a pretty sizable numbers advantage, the tactics were a lot of fun to watch play out.

Geoffrey is worse than his father in some ways, not as bad as others. I think it's clear he has a type - Geoffrey likes older women. All of his targets, including those that didn't work out (Duchess Anne, the Duchess of Dauphine) were all much older than him. Essa is the youngest of that group, and she's about 10 years older than him. And at times his relationship with Ælfflæd takes a rather certain tone. So make of that what you will.

That said, Geoffrey also hasn't quite crossed the threshold of engaging in incest, like his father did. So his actions are more typical bad behavior whereas Geoff I broke taboos in unexpected ways!

Thanks! The battle was holding me up because I really want to do something I've not done before. The dismounted knights came to me after a long time thinking about it. I figured the fact the center numbers were fairly even could make it work.

Ok, I finally caught up so I'm going to just ramble about all sorts of things for like several posts. Sorry if I annoy you guys.

It's such a shame to see Foulquesson go to rust, kind of like his father. I didn't really like the reign of Geofery the First as much as his father, but Foulquesson was one of the highlights of the era. It will be a shame to see him go. Hopefully, he'll have fun in Valhalla.

Everyone knows you write great historical fiction but you are also really good at romance. Geoffery's relationship with Anna, especially in the flashback chapters, is so heartwarming. Don't get me wrong I love Elf, she's rapidly becoming my favorite female character, but you can't help but root for these two kids who've known each other since childhood. That said I don't think Geoffery deserves either of them, he has started sleeping around way too much. Ideally, Elf and Anna would recognize their similarities and team up to pull some sort of trick on Geoffery like what happens if you try to sleep with both Triss and Yennifer in Witcher 3. Alas, both these characters and us readers don't live in an ideal world.

I have so much more to say but it's 12:48 in the morning so I need to go to sleep. I'll comment again later.

No worries. Ramble on!

Foulquesson has decayed a bit, literally and figuratively. He was struck by bad luck with leprosy, and I guess he got the craven trait during the outbreak of "the cough" where he holed himself in Brittany. I regret not doing a bit more with him here, but I have a lot of characters and it can be tough to balance them all equally. That's not to say this is his last action though...

I appreciate the compliment! I will also note that my wife deserves partial credit on that chapter because she told me I needed to explain their romance better, so Geoffrey's reasoning made sense. And she would also agree that he doesn't deserve either of them - as would I. But both might be able to position themselves where they get something out of it long-term. Whether that makes up for the short-term aggravation though...

I'm not sure they could ever work together - both distrust each other. But it's possible they might have to move together against other threats...

It seems that whenever Geoffrey meets a lady after a battle, he moves even more aggressively than on the battlefield. It's hard to say if it would be good or bad if there's always another lady after the battlefield... Though it (unsurprisingly) seems to work better with allies than enemies.
Still, with England's many duchesses, I can't help but think that if he'd invade England, he'd probably spend some nights with the Normans instead of Ælfflæd :p.

After his initial doubts in battle, the king truly starts to live up to his military potential. A time may come soon where he has to pick an opponent who presents a real threat.

I would say Geoffrey has some... underlying issues when you put together all of his tendencies together! Some of it is just his idea on what "proper" celebrations should be about, but I wouldn't say that's all of it. And yep, it naturally works better on subjects than enemies. Not that he won't try.

As for what happens if/when he gets to England... ;)

I did want to show Geoffrey has a military mind - much more so than his father every did. It's always been more of an interest to him, and he feels more at home there than he does in a throne room. I think that makes sense - he has a much more recent king to compare with there and it's unlikely he'll come off favorably. That, of course is the opposite of his father.

The realm is going to be hit with a lot of big deaths within the next few years. Foulquesson and the Queen Mother both don't seem long for this world and Anges is probably going to follow them into the grave shortly thereafter.

I think there are three powerful factions forming that the King will have to manage if he hopes to achieve personal happiness and political success.

The first of these is the Queen's party. Obviously the King needs to keep her on board and she is likely to have Anges's knowledge as well as her spy network. It is also likely to include the crown prince once he comes of age and most if not all the English lords, should Guilhielm take the English throne.

The Second is the Periograds. This, of course, includes the Periograd family but is also likely to include any remaining supporters of the Queen Mother, since Anna was close to her. The most prominent of these is the Duke of Gascony, who will need a replacement female insider if he hopes to keep his influence on the King, both Geoffery's having expressed their distaste for the man and their wish to fire him at one point or another.

The final and most threatening party is the Toulouse-Poutiou power couple of Duke Guilhielm and Essa. They command far and away the largest army in the realm and while the others may be able to cause Geoffery personal misery and political headaches, the couple stands a reasonable chance of either overthrowing him or reducing him to the status of puppet king if they don't get their way.

I actually think Geofery should have canceled the betrothal of his sister Aines to young Simon. It does nothing but anger Duke Guilhielm unnecessarily. Instead, Symon should be wed to Azelma, Anna's daughter. This would continue the alliance and crucially, not give Simon a claim on the Kingdom. And it might make Anna happy to know her daughter will be a duchess.

It's deeply ironic that Geofery thinks he dosn't need another Anges when in fact that's exactly what he needs. His father and grandfather kept her around for a reason, namely that she was very useful. The reason he finds her so annoying, and that she is able to hold so much over him is their difference in experience, a contrast from her relationship to her father and brother. Aines will remain loyal because she will owe her power, prestige, and the safety of herself and her children to her brother, in much the same way Anges was loyal to Foulques and Geoffery. She has pretty good intrigue stats but her best use will be diplomatic. Aines is a daughter of Queen Marguerite but she has shown friendship towards the Queen. We know she has worked alongside Anna quite a bit and if they are not friends they at least seem to get along well enough. And if she doesn't empathize with her now she sure as hell will after suffering a similar experience, probably confined in the same rooms with the same people. Aines stands the best chance of getting the Queen and Anna to tolerate each other, which is good for Geoffery in both a personal and a political sense.
Aines should be married to one of the courtiers to prevent her from birthing any more bastards or at least give her someone to pass them off to. Is Knud unmarried? Even a "soiled" princess of the royal family would be a great reward for his loyalty as well as a slap in the face to Count Gui, given that the man who murdered his father is now getting a royal marriage.

I wonder if Geoffery will try to satisfy the Perograds by creating a position as the French did with their maîtresse-en-titre's. Maybe by repurposing an in-game tittle like keeper of the swans. I've done that in some of my games. It would drive poor Elf, and a large chunk of the readership, up a wall but if appropriate compensation was given to the Queen, like going all-in on the scheme to make their son the King of England, along with appointing her regent and inviting her to all council meetings.

Keep in mind all this personal stuff is just putting a band-aid on a bleeding wound. If Geoffery wanted a "happy wife" happy life he should have either married Anna or ditched her as soon as he wed Elf. The best we can hope for at this point is a sort of cold peace like Foulquesson and Duke Guilhielm had.

I like Anna which is why I'm not just saying kick her to the curb like some of the others on this thread but I do kind of worry she or one of her brothers will try to kill Elf, given their family's history. If that happens all bets are off.

Geof and Elf will never have a romance the bards would sing of but they can do better than his parents, that won't be too hard. Maybe bring in a Saxon brewer to make Ale in Aquitaine. If you can't be lovers you can always be drinking buddies, via the Carousing focus. And it would help young Guilhielm get used to the customs of a land he is supposed to rule.

Geof's affairs with his uncles' wives are profoundly stupid and inexcusable on both a personal and political level and should be ended immediately. In the short term, the one with Essa does make sense, albeit not in a way the King thought it did. Anything to drive a wedge between the Ducal couple is a good thing for the balance of power in the Kingdom. The problem is what will happen when young Symon finds out his liege has been banging his mom. An immediate priority should be to take the boy as a ward, Ancel will be a man soon so there will be an opening. That way when he comes into his Dukedoms he will be loyal to Geoffery.

Ending the affair will be tricky as Essa has the potential to start a lot of trouble, so the King will have to show tact he has not yet been capable of and somehow stop the affair without giving her a reason to be angry with him.

The one thing the King has going for him is, apart from Guilhielm, all parties involved are both ideologically loyal and have no self-interest in overthrowing the crown. Essa depends on the King to secure her place in Toulouse. Anna and her family probably had loyalty to the House d'Anjou drilled into them before they could learn to walk, and Elf needs her husband to seat her son on the English throne.

Finally, everyone could be satisfied with expansion. Both Anna and Elf get land for their children to inherit, and the King gets more powerful vassals to balance out the influence of Toulouse-Poitou.

I don't expect Geoffery to take this advice, since he thinks with his heart and his dick as opposed to his brain. It was just food for thought.

Sorry if my post is long and rambling.

There will be deaths in the coming years. In fact, in the next 5-10 chapters, we're going to be saying goodbye to quite a few characters. Some expected, some perhaps, not so expected. ;)

And those deaths will reset the status of things in the court. I can't comment on your faction predictions without spoiling, but there certainly are aspects of what you say which turn out to be true.

Your argument against Aines marrying Simon makes sense, and I suspect you'll be even more steadfast in that belief soon. I'll say Knud is married, to Charles d'Anjou's former mistress who was left behind when he became King of Hungary. They have one daughter together. But I don't think I'd want Knud anywhere near a relative with potential power - he is rather conniving and ambitious.

As for Aines herself, stay tuned there.

I'll say the Perigords themselves sometimes put up a united front, but they're not all that united. Ana is an in for them, but the need for that in varies depending on who we're talking about. Berard has no need for an in. Alberic does. And Alberic has reason to distrust his younger brother as a result. Relationships with ebb and flow.

I'd say Geoffrey has ruined any chance he had of a good, loving relationship with Ælfflæd. Their best chance at having a decent relationship is a work one for their mutual benefit. But Geoffrey would be wise to cut back on his affairs so that might happen.

You are right Geoffrey's affairs with his uncles' wives are stupid. They are needless risks, and in the case of Guilhem, risks antagonizing a fairly powerful vassal. No, he pales in comparison to Essa. But he's about Foulquesson's equal, which puts him as the second strongest of Geoff's vassals. But Geoffrey is 20 and thinks himself far smarter than he is and long-term consequences are not something he thinks about often enough. Even if things aren't confirmed, rumor can be as powerful as fact at times.

As for the "need" of Geoffrey - you are correct the Perigords have had loyalty drilled into them (and they're position is very much based on their father's friendship/loyalty to Geoffrey I - they only have one actual county to their name which make them among the weakest of Geoff's direct vassals). And Ælfflæd needs Geoffrey to see her ambition realized.

But Essa is different - her days of needing the crown to protect her are done. She absolutely did need it. But after that rebellion, AI Essa went on a rampage in Toulouse, seizing a bunch of counties in an opportunistic manner that I had smile at. She swiped Narbonne from the child count, and another county from an old lord with few allies. It's why her forces are so strong now - she holds a lot of lands directly under her control!

Basically, Essa is quite strong at this point, and she's done it with a bit of stealth. She's not liked because she's a clearly ambitious woman in the Angevin court, but they also underestimate her because she's a woman. That's a danger.

The expansion ultimately good for Geoff, and he will need lands to give to people later on, if he wants to keep relatives happy without dipping into the current royal demesne. It will drive some future targets as well.

Thanks for the insight! I'm always impressed with such detailed analysis!

I truly enjoyed the battle scene. I was wondering if a moment that Geoffrey had bite off more than he could chew.

I see Foulquesson is still being his usual brutish, conceded self. Good to see Herve has still got it and proves he is invaluable.

That Angevin blood! If he keeps going the way he is Geoffrey could out do his father and grandfather.

Thanks! Glad you liked the battle. The Celts/Irish were a bit hardier than I expected, but luckily, Herve made relatively quick work of that flank as you can see from that screenshot. He did better than Foulquesson, though the latter did have more enemy troops to deal with.

As usual, Geoffrey cuts a path in between his father and grandfather. Foulques had no probably bedding his brother's wife, and did. Geoffrey I never went down that road, and Geoffrey may not go THAT far (we'll see if/when Alias comes of age and gets married), but he's not above his uncles' wives.

God, I hope not. For the sake of all the people he has to deal with in-universe, and on the Meta side, we've had three Angevin's with Seduction focus. It would be interesting to try something new. Geof's libido is flying him too close to the sun and soon enough his wings will burn off. This Essa shit will end badly mark my words.

In my long ramble post, I forgot to add that I think this third generation has the potential to have the best story yet.

I certainly get that thought. I had originally aimed to go different with Geoffrey I, but after looking over his actions in the run up to me actually taking control of him, I couldn't go in any other direction with him. I even replayed because I realized "family focus" Geoffrey I was grossly out of character with the way the AI had played him. And really, with how I'd written him to that point.

Geoffrey II's actions will get him in some trouble. Some in predictable ways... others in less predictable ones.

Thanks! I hope it does turn out to be the best, especially since it will be the last generation I write!

yeah... first conquer the Angevin Empire and THEN let it fall apart within brothers wars and dinastic struggles

Haha. I wouldn't let it fall, but it would be something to see them all wreck each other afterward. That is kind of what happened...

I don't think even Henery and Eleanor's brood were dumb enough to sleep with their brother's wives. And I haven't heard of the IRL Plantagenants or Angevin's engaging in incest.

Our AARuthor needs to be careful. Too much debauchery and the family will get it all out of their system. Then it will be happy marriages and smart decision making and a stable realm.....god forbid. ;)

No incest, from what I understand. But... I will say Henry and Eleanor certainly had their share of rather salacious rumors. I believe there were rumors Henry was involved with Richard's promised. And there certainly was talk that Eleanor, while married to Louis VII, carried on an affair with Geoffrey Plantagenet, while Geoffrey was married to Empress Matilda. Obviously she wasn't married to Henry while she was having an affair with his father, but as my wife would say "eww, squick."

This family will never get it out of their system, if Aines is any evidence. Probably because they keep marrying in their share of wicked people - Aines takes after her maternal grandmother and namesake! And Geoffrey is a somewhat unholy mix of his father and mother.

And.... I do land a prominent character much later on. The AI controlled him. I didn't have any say on what it picked as focus. It picked seduction.

What can I say? That's just the breaks in this AAR.

That made for an interesting battle scene. A shake-up to our usual ones. Everything of note has pretty much been said by previous posters.

A little surprised that the conquest of the Bretons did not have priority in the reign of Geoff I, but I suppose empowering another brother wouldn't exactly be a wise decision considering Guilhem stands as a reminder to what could possibly happen.

In any case, looks like eventually the Bretons will capitulate to Angevin rule, whether now or further into the future.

Thanks - that's what I aim for. I feel like most AAR CK2 battles follow along a similar path. Enemy attacks, lead character's forces seem to be on the verge of breaking, someone they come and save the day. Which is understandable, we all want some tension in our battles. Otherwise, why should the reader care?

I don't deviate from that here, but I do aim to try to add some insight to make it worthwhile.

During Geoffrey I's reign, Brittany ended up a bit on the backburner. I was looking for opportunistic chances to strike at them, and I did periodically. I intervened against them when they attacked Alphonse in Normandy (and would have absolutely won, too. They'd be a lot stronger had I not). And I jumped on Rennes once they left the defense pact. But forming Aquitaine was the primary goal.

The threat levels also played a bit of a role. I'd have been far more aggressive in a lot of places (especially Iberia) without them. Brittany liked to join them, so I had to time my wars carefully.

But yes, Brittany's fate appears sealed. That said, things may not go as swimmingly as they do here.

Foulquesson won't be long for this world so empowering him won't cause any harm. If anything it is good that Geof strengthens his other vassals, but it won't be nearly enough to check a united Poitou and Toulouse.

Empowering vassals is certainly a strategy to go with since the days of Conclave. I started playing CK2 just before it was released, and I've heard prior to it, you wanted lots of weak vassals. But after Conclave it made sense to have a bunch of strong vassals you'd stick on an empowered council so they are only able to form factions on ruler change.

Of course Foulquesson is not on the council... so..... :)

To all - great commentary and feedback as always. The battle is what had me worried about that chapter, but it turned out to be a good thing in the long run, I think. The Sarrazine plotline worked better in this chapter than it would have afterward. (Originally it was not).

As mentioned above, this is more of a gentle reintroduction to happy, successful Geoffrey. Originally I had planned to skipped this section entirely, and pick up this "Act" with a major event that is a couple of chapters away, but set up was necessary.

That said, that event is coming. And many more moments are coming. And I feel like once things get going in this story, they don't really ever stop. It seems to be just one event after another! I hope you all enjoy the ride.

Thanks as always for your readership and commentary. Long comments, short and in-between - it's all appreciated! :D

Reactions:
Thanks! I hope it does turn out to be the best, especially since it will be the last generation I write!

That gives me a bittersweet feeling. On the one hand, I love this series and will hate to see it go. On the other hand, so much media just keeps going until they start retreading old plots and ruin what made them special, not to mention burn out their poor creators. So much has changed since those early days with Foulques trying to usurp his brother that I feel like if things went on nothing we'd recognize would be their anymore.

Will you leave the thread open for a while afterward? I'd like to review the series in full and comment on what might happen after it all ends

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good tension in the battle (even if in the end it was a good thrashing) and I liked the touches at the end with the captured foe. Sarrazine? Well, of course that outcome was ordained when she stayed to watch the battle. With Geoff victorious and the blood up (so to speak) it was almost inevitable. ;)

The seduction focus has become such an ingrained part of the Angevin character that it would seem almost disrespectful of tradition for Geoff to forsake it. That’s just the way it goes. Lover’s Pox and a face removal + mask down the track? Nothing to one of these guys! :rolleyes:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I know I haven't posted in here in quite some time (real life and other things get in the way, most recently my playing of Imperator Rome) but I've skimmed over the last ten pages or so and this continues to be a top notch AAR. I repeat earlier assertions that you should consider publishing a novel someday.

Now if I get some time, I might go post something in the Imperator section of the AAR subforum. Stay tuned...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know I haven't posted in here in quite some time (real life and other things get in the way, most recently my playing of Imperator Rome) but I've skimmed over the last ten pages or so and this continues to be a top notch AAR. I repeat earlier assertions that you should consider publishing a novel someday.

Now if I get some time, I might go post something in the Imperator section of the AAR subforum. Stay tuned...

Oh no no. I have to catch up your Edge of the World AAR. I'd like to see where that goes, but I remember it being interesting. More Sancho!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh no no. I have to catch up your Edge of the World AAR. I'd like to see where that goes, but I remember it being interesting. More Sancho!

Sadly that one is probably on hiatus for the foreseeable future. I'm all Imperator Rome now. Here's hoping the first DLC for it will be something similar to Way of Life for character interactions and whatnot.

Reactions:
That gives me a bittersweet feeling. On the one hand, I love this series and will hate to see it go. On the other hand, so much media just keeps going until they start retreading old plots and ruin what made them special, not to mention burn out their poor creators. So much has changed since those early days with Foulques trying to usurp his brother that I feel like if things went on nothing we'd recognize would be their anymore.

Will you leave the thread open for a while afterward? I'd like to review the series in full and comment on what might happen after it all ends

It's the last generation I'll write, but even if I said it only had a few years left in game (and it doesn't, it has quite a bit more), it would still take forever to to get there, based on my pace. So don't worry - plenty more to go.

And things have changed drastically since the days of Foulques IV. Slowly, and gradually, but the map in the Francia region is quite different than it was before. Part of the advantage to the pace is not realizing how much things have changed because of how gradual it has appeared to the reader. (Or at least, that's part of what I'm going for)

Good tension in the battle (even if in the end it was a good thrashing) and I liked the touches at the end with the captured foe. Sarrazine? Well, of course that outcome was ordained when she stayed to watch the battle. With Geoff victorious and the blood up (so to speak) it was almost inevitable. ;)

The seduction focus has become such an ingrained part of the Angevin character that it would seem almost disrespectful of tradition for Geoff to forsake it. That’s just the way it goes. Lover’s Pox and a face removal + mask down the track? Nothing to one of these guys! :rolleyes:

Thanks! Battle scenes drive me nuts, so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

On Sarrazine: You and Alberic knew it before even Geoffrey was certain of it! The king is not exactly subtle in his methods. But then he never has been, dating back to Duchess Anne.

I certainly wouldn't hate a character who went against it. Had Foulques the Younger lived, I don't think I'd have switched him, unless there was a reason for it. But I also have no problems indulging this vice in the characters, since it seems a family trait.

The mask is something that seems to affect our Angevin patriarchs at some point, though outside of Foulquesson, it was later in life. Will Geoffrey even live long enough to earn that mask? His historical analogue probably wouldn't have....

Understandable, and I'm glad you were able to check back in and see where we are with the writing. Appreciate the kind words as well!

As for the novel, you, my wife and others tell me to do it. But my free writing time is going to this at the moment! We'll see after it's done.

Best of luck with your AAR. I have yet to play Imperator, though I was interested. Was waiting to see how it all shook out and developed before taking the plunge.

To all, the next chapter follows shortly. Hope you all enjoy it. of course. And thanks, as always, for your readership, feedback and commentary. Not that things are slow in the story, but things are about to really heat up soon. Glad you all are along for the ride.

Reactions:
Chapter 235 - November 1130
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 235
November 1130 - St. Pol de Leon, Brittany

1130-War-in-Brittany-October.jpg

The view was magnificent.

Geoffrey sat alone at a small table, underneath a tree, sipping on a cup of wine as a cool sea breeze blew through his brown hair. Across from him was an empty chair and by his side, a sword, sheathed in a leather scabbard. From his seat on this clear day, the 20-year-old king could see the coast and the ocean beyond, out to the horizon.

Views of the water were not unknown to Geoffrey, given Bordeaux was on the Garonne River. But the ocean was a different matter entirely, having only experienced the coast during his trip to Rome a few years before.

On this day, Geoffrey was just outside of the town of St. Pol de Leon, the home of Count Padric. He had successfully taken the town and keep from the Breton lord over a few weeks before and with the campaign likely nearing an end, the king decided to take in the sights. And he was impressed - so much so that this was the third time he’d come to this spot to look out at the coast.

Perhaps I should just take this land for myself, he thought. It would be a nice place to spend the summers when it gets hot in Bordeaux.

However, it was more passing fancy than serious consideration. Doing so would likely extend the war, and make an enemy of his uncle. And a beautiful view probably wasn’t worth that.

Probably.

The king’s thoughts were interrupted however, as he saw a face he’d long been awaiting. Geoffrey stood up, and with a wide grin on his face, stepped forward to embrace Berard de Perigord.

Berard also was smiling as the two young men hugged, seeing each other for the first time in nearly a year - their longest time apart for as long as either could remember.

Geoffrey had known his friend was en route, and was likely to arrive today. Figuring it might be nice to show off this spot, Geoffrey had come out here, and instructed those back at the keep to direct Berard to the spot when he arrived.

1130-Berard.jpg

“You look well!” Geoffrey said as he sat back down and offered Berard a seat and some wine.

“As do you,” Berard said, taking both. “I see the campaign has treated you well.”

“One grand victory, with an enemy king captured,” Geoffrey said. “And now the taking of a keep and town - with Lord Padric’s family as well. All in less than half a year.”

“I’m surprised the defenders gave up that quick,” Berard said.

Geoffrey wasn’t expecting that either. It was true he had laid siege to St. Pol de Leon with an army well over 12,000 men - a force that might easily overwhelm the garrison. But rather than storm the keep and town, he was content to sit and see if Padric would give up since his allies were broken and his own forces seemed incapable of battling Geoffrey’s.

Instead, Padric marched just south to Corlay, which had fallen to him prior to Geoffrey’s entrance to the war and then turned on the town of Huelgoat, laying siege.

Perhaps he had expected or hoped Geoffrey would break off the siege of St. Pol to stop him. And Geoffrey was tempted, wanting to avoid another Aurilliac.

But fortune soon smiled upon him, as Padric’s wife, Countess Dub-Essa, and their two daughters, had attempted to flee south from St. Pol and had been caught by Geoffrey’s sentries. And with the count’s family joining his father-by-law King Abbain of Munster in Geoffrey’s hands, the overwhelming force outside their walls, the defenders surrendered, allowing Geoffrey to march in with ease.

1130-Leon-prisoners.jpg

“Everything has gone right on this campaign,” Geoffrey admitted. “God clearly was in favor of our intervention.”

Berard grinned. “Do you plan to tell your sister that? I’m sure she’ll be pleased to hear it.”

Geoffrey eyed him. “How did you know about my reluctance to intervene?”

“Edouard told me, when I stopped in Bordeaux before coming north,” Berard explained. “But I am sorry that I missed the campaign. Alberic told me he led dismounted knights?”

“Yes, with much prodding required,” Geoffrey said.

Berard smirked. “He left out that part.”

“Of course he did,” Geoffrey said. “But I’m glad to have you back by my side. Alberic, Edouard - they do their best, but they’re not you.”

Berard’s brow rose. “Could it be? The king has missed me?”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “Do not be so dramatic about it.”

“How can I not be?” Berard continued. “The great conquering king of Aquitaine has specially been waiting for me? And look, you have even chosen a lovely spot, with a view of the coast, for our reunion.”

Geoffrey blushed. “Do not make me throw you from here.”

Berard just grinned as he took another drink from his cup. “As if you could.”

“You sire a son and suddenly you have all the confidence in the world,” Geoffrey said.

“Well, I learned from the best,” Berard replied.

Geoffrey shook his head and chuckled. “So, how does your wife and the babe fare?”

“Well,” Berard replied. “Or I would not have come.”

1130-Savarics-de-Perigord.jpg

“You were delayed,” Geoffrey noted. “I thought you would have come in the summer. I wasn’t sure if something had happened.”

“Assalide did not want me to leave her and Savarics,” Berard said. “And… it was harder than expected to leave them both.”

“Oh? You are smitten with her?” Geoffrey asked.

“I am,” Berard said. “She is lovely. Beautiful, and sweet with her words. An honest soul, too. I do not think her capable of lying… for better or for worse.”

Geoffrey raised his cup. “Good. Loving one’s wife is better... than the alternative.”

Berard chuckled but lowered his gaze. “Well, I don’t have to please a brutish, Saxon princess. Assalide is a woman of more… refined tastes.”

“Not partial to ale then?” Geoffrey asked.

“Only the finest wine from Bordeaux,” Berard replied. He sipped his drink then continued. “But then after I managed to pull myself from her, I made a stop in Bordeaux to visit my sister. Ana wanted to congratulate me before I went off to war.”

“Did she say anything else?” Geoffrey asked.

Berard eyed him. “Wondering if she knows of your affair with the Duchess of Toulouse?”

Geoffrey took a long sip of his drink while not releasing Berard from his gaze. With a chuckle, the Perigord teen continued.

“She would not let on, though she did ask if you had mentioned anything about her,” Berard said. “I said I had not seen you in months. And that was it - it’s all I say of her knowledge.”

Geoffrey nodded and continued to sip on his drink. He had done his best to keep the knowledge of his relationship with Essa away from Ana - he was uncertain how she might react. But Ana knew him well - it would not be a surprise to learn she suspected something.

“Speaking of the duchess,” Berard continued, “I spoke to her as well.”

Geoffrey’s brow picked up. “Did you now?”

“She asked me to see her,” Berard said.

“And does she fare?” Geoffrey asked.

“Well, all things considered,” Berard said. “Growing heavy with child once more.”

Geoffrey swallowed a large gulp of wine before pouring himself another cup. Berard simply smirked.

“Did she have anything to pass along to me?” Geoffrey asked.

“Why else would she ask to speak to me?” Berard replied. “She says she is most excited for this child - perhaps the most she has ever been - such is her certainty that you sired it.”

1130-Essa-pregnant.jpg

Geoffrey swallowed hard. If anyone were to learn of it…

But then he remembered why he thought his affair with Essa was so perfect - why would anyone learn of it? Even this child should not cause much suspicion after its birth - Essa was married and had three boys with Guilhem already. And it should look like Guilhem - he was Geoffrey’s paternal uncle and maternal first cousin.

“Fine news,” Geoffrey replied as he began to relax. “I assume no one suspects anything?”

“That… I can’t say,” Berard admitted. “Duke Guilhem was not in a good mood during my stay, but I hear he has been that way for a while.”

“He neither likes how I handled my sister Aines, nor that I aid Foulquesson after he disrespected me,” Geoffrey replied. “He especially resents Essa for siding with me on both matters.”

“She probably shouldn’t be so agreeable with you in public,” Berard said. “As to avoid suspicion.”

“Essa doesn’t disagree with him to make me happy,” Geoffrey said. “She is, and always has been, her own woman. That is what Guilhem detests.”

“The affairs probably don’t help,” Berard said.

Affair,” Geoffrey said. “One. And his frustration, I assure you, comes from other matters. Not this… which I’m pretty sure he knows nothing of.”

Berard shrugged. “I wish you would think twice about it.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “You sound like Edouard.”

“I know,” Berard said. “I spoke to him, remember? And he’s right. Essa has her own enemies and close association with her will make them yours as well. Not to mention you risk problems with Duke Guilhem, and Ana, after all that you did to keep her - to say nothing of your wife.”

“And how is the queen?” Geoffrey wondered.

“She did not wish to see me, nor I her,” Berard admitted. “I think she sees me as too close an ally… to you and my sister.”

“She’s not wrong,” Geoffrey said. “And, like any good king, I am always keen to reward my loyal allies.”

Geoffrey reached down and picked up the sword by his chair.

“A gift,” Geoffrey said as he presented his friend with the weapon.

Berard was wide-eyed and took it, looking it over. At the hilt, was an engraved rearing lion, the banner of House Perigord.

“You shouldn’t have,” Berard said. “I have done nothing to deserve this.”

“You are a father,” Geoffrey said. “It is no small thing - as I can attest to - and should be celebrated.”

“Thank you,” Berard replied. “I just hope I prove worthy of this blade - as a friend and father.”

“As your father was to mine, and to you,” Geoffrey said as he raised his cup.

Berard smiled, though his eyes darting down made Geoffrey suspicious his friend took some measure of offense by the comment.

“Did I speak out of turn?” Geoffrey wondered.

Berard picked up his eyes and shook his head. “No, it is nothing.”

“You can tell me,” Geoffrey said.

Berard sighed. “Assalide… I can tell she has taken the rumors of my father’s… life, to heart. It bothers her visibly when he is discussed and she confessed to me she has heard he was a… sinful man.”

1130-Assalide.jpg

“She insulted your father to your face?” Geoffrey asked with brow raised.

“I pressed her on it when she was clearly bothered by my brother praising him one evening a year ago,” Berard said. “She is a good, pious woman and, like I said, cannot lie, even over the smallest of things. So when I demanded to know what bothered her, she could not hide it.”

Geoffrey stroked his chin. “I wonder what she thinks of me.”

Berard frowned and lowered his gaze. When Geoffrey arched his brow, the Perigord teen replied: “You don’t want to know.”

“Oh, but I do,” Geoffrey said. “You are practically my brother. I would like to know if my sister-by-law hates me.”

“She does not hate you,” Berard said. “She just… questions your choices.”

“You… did not tell her about Essa, did you?” Geoffrey asked.

“No, but Ana is enough,” Berard said. “She worries you’ll be a poor influence on me, throwing whores into my bed while we are here in Brittany.”

“I won’t physically throw them,” Geoffrey said with a grin. But Berard did glance away. “Are you offended?”

“Not offended,” Berard said. “Just… I don’t want whores, Geoff. That’s all.”

Geoffrey eyed him. “Do you have a problem with my choices, as she does?”

Berard looked down for a moment. “My brother said you bedded the Countess of Thouars. Is that true?”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “Alberic thought that because I offered her a place at the camp.”

“So it’s untrue?” Berard asked.

Geoffrey looked down. “As far as he knows.”

Berard narrowed his gaze. “He doesn’t know. But it is true.”

“It was one time,” Geoffrey said. “I needed a good woman after my victory at Carhaix.”

Then the king paused. “And I don’t have to justify myself to you, or him.”

Berard raised his hands. “I know. It is your right. I just… I disagree with that, and especially Essa. But... that is all I will say. It is your life, Geoff. I cannot expect you to be Assalide, or myself, or your father, or my brother.”

Geoffrey nodded to that. Berard seemed sincere enough, and the king really did not wish to doubt his friend. He had missed him while he was back in Perigord.

“Well, I bet she would get along swimmingly with my wife,” Geoffrey said. “Perhaps a place among the queen’s ladies would be good for her.”

“I do think she would like that, though she did have words about the queen’s departure,” Berard said. “And how improper it was.”

“Ah, then she may not be so bad after all,” Geoffrey said as he raised his cup.

He took his drink and then looked past Berard as he noticed someone approaching. Perhaps appropriately, it was Alberic.

Berard shook his head after glancing back. “He probably thinks I aim to steal Perigord.”

Geoffrey smirked but asked: “Do you?”

“Of course not,” Berard replied. “It would not be stealing if you gave it to me. You are king after all.”

Geoffrey laughed but managed to stop before Alberic reached them.

“Something the matter brother?” Berard asked. “Or have you come for the view?”

Alberic stopped for a moment to look out. “Oh. It is rather… nice.”

Geoffrey gave a slight nod toward Berard and then turned to the Count of Perigord. “What is it Alberic?”

“Count Padric rides to meet you,” Alberic said. “He comes under a flag of truce.”

“Does he come to surrender or just negotiate the release of his wife and daughters?” Geoffrey asked.

“He did not say,” Alberic said. “But I would suspect both. His army is battered. You hold his ally and his family. What is the point of drawing this out any longer?”

“People can be stubborn, especially when it comes to bending the knee,” Geoffrey replied as he stood up. “Assemble the commanders then and let us head back. I want Padric properly greeted when he arrives.”

….

The keep was livelier than it had any right to be.

Given it had been sacked a few weeks before, the main hall should have been depopulated, if not desolate. It was true they had negotiated a surrender, but even still, things happened after sieges. Soldiers took to plunder, both of material valuables and women. Invariably, some would be killed.

And that had happened when St. Pol de Leon fell. But Geoffrey decided to take a page out of his father’s book for this meeting, and wanted a show to properly celebrate his victory. He could not have paraded the Duchess of Dauphine through Bordeaux, but he could make Count Padric a “trophy” of sorts.

With fewer people left in the keep, Geoffrey had told his guards to allow entry of the common people to the main hall so they might see their lord bow before his new masters. Some no doubt stayed away out of fear of their conquerers, but enough came to fill out the hall completely.

Fear or not, people like to see a man humbled, Geoffrey thought. Especially a noble.

For effect, Geoffrey had assembled his commanders along the small dais, which was just one step above the floor in the hall. A group of his household knights stood in front, with only a gap in the center, providing Geoffrey a clear view of the area in front.

The question of his seat was something Geoffrey deliberated. While he didn’t want to necessarily copy his father in every way, he did wonder what the old king would have done. Would have sat himself in Padric’s old chair, just to drive home the point that he now owned this keep? Or would he have considered the seat beneath him, and replaced it with his own.

Of course, Geoffrey knew he’d never be certain the answer, and ultimately decided that for his purposes, it was the latter. And so Padric was treated to the sight of a larger, taller throne than his own more simple wooden chair when he entered the main hall.

He did so with head held high - undeserved in Geoffrey’s opinion - along with other mail-laden men. They walked heavy, their weapons rustling against the metal, and might have been an impressive sight for the young king, had they not entered as “visitors” to the keep they owned just a month before.

Count Padric did not kneel when he entered, nor did he bow before Geoffrey, who was flanked by Foulquesson and Herve, stopping before the small dais and awaiting introduction.

1130-Count-Padric-family-imprisoned.jpg

“Count Padric, lord of Leon,” Alberic said. After Geoffrey nodded, Alberic turned back to the count. “You come here under a flag of truce, but the king’s patience runs short. State your business.”

Padric took a moment to glare at Alberic, but did not respond to him, instead turning his gaze to Geoffrey. “King Geoffrey, I come to accept your offer of peace.”

Geoffrey leaned forward in his throne. “Oh, now you do? I made the offer months ago, after I captured your father-by-law at Carhaix.”

Padric nodded. “I know. I had to take time to consider it and convince those with me it was the right decision. Otherwise, there would be no peace - just continued war, with someone else at the lead.”

“Liar,” Foulquesson grunted. “You tried to burn Huelgoat.”

“Uncle,” Geoffrey said as he raised his hand. “That’s the best you can do for continuing to fight? Blame others?”

Padric’s stoic expression did not give away any fear at the accusation. “It is the truth. There are many in these lands who would rather die than accept Frankish overlords.”

“Well that is your first mistake,” Geoffrey said. “For we are d’Oc, not Frankish - as my father would say, descendants of Rome.”

“We don’t exactly care for Romans much either,” Padric said. “Real or pretenders.”

The king was surprised, and felt a touch annoyed by Padric’s arrogance. But he managed to respond with a chuckle and saying: “You are brave. Foolish too. Should I add overly confident? After all, you expect me to believe you simply had to convince your lords, when you moved to attack my uncle’s lands in Huelgoat after my offer of peace?”

Padric nodded. “My army needed food and supplies. We could not come to Leon, as you were here.”

“Ah, then perhaps I was mistaken,” Geoffrey said. “Not so foolish, but not so brave either, as to risk yourself against my army. You’d only send your father-by-law to do that - and well… we know how that turned out.”

Geoffrey glanced down at Abbain, who stood between Herve and Alberic. He was unbound, as had been promised at his capture, and was without his weapon.

“We can verbally joust at each other all day long,” Padric said. “Or we can talk peace.”

Geoffrey grew wide-eyed for a moment - does he think he can dictate this meeting to me? After I have crushed his army, his alliance, taken his keep, his wife and daughters?

“You should be mindful of your position Padric,” Geoffrey warned. “I hold everything of yours - and I can choose whether or not to return them.”

Geoffrey signaled his guards, and they pushed forth three prisoners - Countess Dub-Essa and her and Padric’s daughters, Mari and Berchet.

Padric already knew they were in Geoffrey’s hands - that is why he likely came to negotiate a surrender. The sight of them caused Padric to avert his eyes, glancing down to his boots.

“What terms do you offer?” Padric asked, not picking his gaze back up.

“You will submit to Aquitaine, and fealty to my uncle,” Geoffrey said.

That drew Padric’s gaze once more. “You previously said you would accept me as your vassal.”

“That was before,” Geoffrey said. “You did not accept then. So that offer is gone.”

And if this meeting is any proof of anything - I want no part of dealing with you, Geoffrey thought. My uncle desired your lands, he can have you too.

“I came here to accept your original offer,” Padric said. “I will need time to consider this one.”

“Oh for…” Geoffrey blurted out. Then when he noticed that outburst had drawn the eyes of the hall, he realized he had made a mistake. My father never would have...

While his stomach churned out of embarrassment, and he felt the heat of his face, Geoffrey made a quick, and perhaps rash, decision.

Might as well go with it, he thought.

“I’m… I’m tired of this,” Geoffrey said. “I have been more than fair. But I am not going to give you more time to pillage the lands of Aquitaine and then fly a flag of truce when you sense I am coming to crush you. My offer is this - accept this peace or prepare yourself for battle. And know that when I win, you will not swear fealty to me or my uncle, because you will no longer be lord of Leon, or of anything. I will take this keep myself, and give it to who I want. Or have it for myself - I do like the view of the coast.”

Padric shook his head. “You cannot expect me to make such a decision in so little time.”

“That is exactly what I expect,” Geoffrey said, his voice rising as his breathing grew rushed. “You can accept it, and keep your lands. Or you can resist it, and lose everything. Your lands. Your title. Your wife. Your children. The choice is up to you. But make it fast.”

Padric looked up at his family and then back at the knights behind him, many of whom did not return the favor, looking in all manner of directions.

“Take his offer!” Abbain shouted. “Do not be so petty and foolish! You’ve lost. Accept it!”

“Easy for you to say!” Padric shouted back. “It is not your knee that bends!”

“It sounds like you have decided then,” Geoffrey said, his heart racing now. “If that is the case, begone from here - and prepare your men for our next battle.”

“I… I…” Padric stammered. Then he lowered his head. “I… accept your terms of surrender, King Geoffrey. My king, Geoffrey.”

Geoffrey could not not even smile, his heart was beating so fast. He was tempted to throw Padric out anyway, he’d been angered so much by him. And it took him a moment to bring his breathing to normal.

“Uncle,” Geoffrey said as he jerked his head toward Foulquesson. “Administer your vassal oaths.”

“Now?” Foulquesson asked.

“Yes now!” Geoffrey said. “I don’t want to give this fool of a count time to reconsider.”

The Duke of Brittany shrugged before stepping off the dais and approaching Padric, who dropped to a knee. Then the pair awkwardly attempted to recite the standard pledge of vassalage, but Foulquesson clearly did not know how it was all supposed to go. He stumbled over words, delivered lines out of order - held long pauses as he tried to remember what he was supposed to say.

All the while, Geoffrey was left, with mouth agape, staring on in disbelief at what he was witnessing.

Why did he not prepare for this? Geoffrey thought. I told him I would not allow Padric to serve me - and he wanted this!

It took every bit of restraint Geoffrey had not to leap from his throne and administer the entire ceremony himself. He was pretty sure he could have done it from memory.

The whole exercise seemed to take forever, when it should have been over rather quickly. But eventually they did finish, Padric rose, and accepted the embrace from Foulquesson - though the count did little to hide his disgust at being touched by a man who was clearly disfigured.

Geoffrey frowned. My father would have never stood for such a shoddy show.

Padric then looked to Foulquesson. “My daughters and my wife. They can be released?”

Before Foulquesson could respond, Geoffrey said: “I hold them, not my uncle. I wished for your relationship as subject to my uncle to be fair and it would not be if he held your family.”

“Then you will release them?” Padric asked.

“I will not, until a ransom is paid,” Geoffrey said. “You have done nothing today to show yourself worthy of leniency. And yet I will still offer a measure of it - since you are now a subject of Aquitaine, I will lessen the price - 26 gold for each girl, and 46 for the countess.”

Had it been a male heir, Geoffrey would have charged more for Padric’s children. But in this case, he believed the Countess was more valuable, as she was still plenty young enough to birth more children - and give the count a boy.

“I cannot afford them all,” Padric said. “The war, which we did not ask for, has drained our coffers. I will pay for my daughters, but I cannot… ransom the countess at this time.”

1130-Berchet-Ransomed.jpg

“What?!”

Geoffrey was surprised to hear it, but even more shocked when he heard the voice. He, and the others present, looked on as the countess stood with her mouth open, slowly shaking her head.

“Husband,” she said, “I know of the treasury. You took it with you so it did not fall into their hands. There is more than enough to pay for my ransom, and our daughters.”

Padric lowered his head. “I’m sorry, dear wife. But… there is not enough.”

“But there is!” the countess shouted. “I know there is!”

Geoffrey sat, chin resting on his fist, turning his head back and forth with wonder. He could not believe what he was watching - a husband simply refuse to ransom his wife despite having the coin to do so.

And he clearly was not the only one.

“What trickery is this Padric?!” Abbain exclaimed. “Pay the damn ransom for her!”

“This is not the time for this discussion, Abbain,” Padric said.

“My daughter is to be hauled off to the dungeons of Bordeaux and you tell me that?” Abbain shouted. “Now is precisely the time to discuss it!”

“My keep was sacked and my lands ravaged,” Padric said. “If I wait, things may well collapse. I must rebuild, using that coin. In time…”

“My daughter is not for you to abandon until it is convenient to have her back!” Abbain said. “You made vows upon your marriage! To honor and protect her! Do it! Protect her damn it!”

Geoffrey turned his gaze back to Count Padric. “Well, are you?”

Padric lowered his eyes to the ground for a moment before looked back at the king. “I will do as I have stated. I will pay for daughters. I am sorry Bessie.”

He could barely look at the countess as he said the words and for her part, shouted and likely cursed in her Celtic tongue, at Count Padric while their father did the same.

But Padric, with the business of the day concluded, turned his back and departed the main hall, under a parade of shouts and jeers.

1130-Dub-Essa-ransom-refused.jpg

…..

It took Geoffrey a little while to regather himself after the meeting with Padric.

There had been bumps before in negotiations - his clumsy attempt at bedding the Duchess of Dauphine lingered in his mind - but this was something else.

Padric had angered him, Foulquesson had angered him and the count had refused to agree to the ransom of his whole family - even if Geoffrey had ultimately gotten what he wanted, none of it had gone according to plan.

Some show, Geoffrey thought. My father would lambaste me for that disgrace.

It felt like he had lost control of the situation and he was embarrassed by it. Nearly everyone from Aquitaine had lived thought the old king’s carefully planned courts and shows. Whatever they thought of him, they could not deny he always seemed to have control of the situation.

But what just happened was not that. It had teetered very close to coming apart - and the illusion of a king whole held total mastery of the situation may have been shattered.

“It was fine,” Berard assured him in Padric’s chambers afterward. “You got what you wanted.”

“My outburst… my father never would have done that,” Geoffrey said as he sat at a table.

“That’s good. You’re not your father, remember?” Berard insisted. “Padric didn’t expect it and that was what brought him to heel. I am saddened I will not see a battle this campaign but, it is the peace you wanted. On your terms.”

Geoffrey shut his eyes and tried his best to calm his breathing and his heart. Berard is right, he thought. My methods don’t have to be my father’s, so long as they work.

“Count Padric,” Berard continued. “That man is a piece of work.”

Geoffrey nodded. “The nerve of him. He acted as if he were my equal, as if I had not completely bested him at every turn.”

“And to do abandon his wife!” Berard exclaimed. “I could understand favoring the children if he had little gold. But that is not the case! He is just… selfish!”

“A disgrace,” Geoffrey said. “Even now, if someone held my wife captive, I would pay the ransom.”

“He is a snake,” Berard warned. “I understand why you let him keep his title and lands, but I am glad you have given him to your uncle to deal with.”

“Aye,” Geoffrey said. “For once, I hope my uncle’s temper is put to good use.”

Geoffrey took a drink from his cup of wine and then leaned back in his chair. His heart was finally beginning to slow, and he was calming down.

“I… I should speak to the countess,” Geoffrey said.

“What is there to say?” Berard asked.

“To comfort her,” Geoffrey said. “As you said, it is a disgrace what Padric has done to her. The lady was shocked herself. It is only right to reassure her that she will be treated well while in our custody.”

Berard eyed him, and swallowed hard. Eventually, he nodded, but looked away from Geoffrey.

“What?” Geoffrey asked.

“Nothing,” Berard said. “You do what you must.”

Geoffrey frowned. “You can’t hide from me, Berard. What do you have to say?”

Berard shook his head. “I’m no fool Geoff. I know what you intend to do. Padric angered you, the lady is likely angry with him…”

Geoffrey rubbed his hand over his mouth. The thought had crossed his mind.

“I am uncertain of what I plan to do,” he replied. “Aside from offering her my sympathies.”

“I understand your frustration and anger toward him,” Berard said. “And you are free to dismiss all I have to say. But since you asked, I will tell you that it is wrong.”

“I would give her a choice,” Geoffrey said.

“She is your captive and is to be for some time, if not forever - she has no choice,” Berard said. “That is your right as king, but it is not something I approve of.”

“Because of your sister,” Geoffrey snapped. “And your wife.”

“Yes,” Berard said. “But also because it unnecessary. You’ve won. Padric’s disgraceful behavior is clear for all to see - there is no need for you to do anything that would grant him sympathy.”

“I wouldn’t make it public,” Geoffrey said.

“Then what is the point?” Berard demanded.

“I will keep that in mind,” Geoffrey said. “In the meantime, have the countess fetched from the dungeons. I will speak with her, at the least. Alone.”

Berard frowned but nodded. And after he left, Geoffrey was left to shake his head.

His wife, she influences him, Geoffrey thought. And she could never understand.

But while he found himself caring little for what Alberic believed, Geoffrey’s stomach twisted at the thought that Berard would think less of him. Berard NEVER thought less of him - he always backed him.

Am I… so wrong that even he must speak up?

He was still struggling with that question and was about to pray as the countess was led into the chamber. Thus instead of dropping to his knees, Geoffrey stood upon her arrival. Unlike her husband, the lady bowed before him.

“You called for me, my… king?” she asked.

Geoffrey didn’t respond at first, looking at her. The lady’s head was covered, though he could see strands of red hair escaping from under her headdress. Her face was sullen - though what else could be expected after her husband had abandoned her?

She no doubt hates him, Geoffrey thought. She would like revenge.

But Berard’s words remained with him. But how would I know?

“Yes… I did,” Geoffrey said as he sat back down. “Bessie is it?”

“I am to be called whatever you like, my king,” the countess said. “For I am not only your subject, but your prisoner. Perhaps forever, for my husband seems uninterested in freeing me.”

Her words were sad at first, but the venom bled through by the end.

“Yes, it is unfortunate what your husband has done,” Geoffrey told her. “I did not expect it.”

“Nor did I,” the countess said. She sighed. “I don’t suppose you could find it in your heart to release me? Not for him, for he does not deserve it. But I do not wish to be separated from my daughters. They should have better than Padric to guide them.”

Geoffrey sighed. “I cannot, my lady. I made a demand of your husband. I cannot go back on it now. Perhaps in time, but not now.”

The countess lowered her eyes. “I see, my king.”

He didn’t expect to feel guilty, but the whole scene in the main hall had been so pitiful, Geoffrey could not help but feel a sadness for her. It would be nothing to alleviate her pain - the money wasn’t that important. But he did have a point to make.

“I cannot release you,” Geoffrey said. “But I will permit the release of your father. We at peace and Eire’s business means little to me.”

That and it is unlikely I ever receive payment from him, Geoffrey thought. By the time he found the coin, he’d likely have died in my hands.

“That is kind of you, my king,” the countess said. “I’m certain my father will be grateful.”

She did not appear any happier, though Geoffrey guessed the release of her father was scant consolation given the circumstances. Her freedom was still at an end, with a husband who betrayed her.

“There is more,” Geoffrey continued. “You will not be treated as a prisoner. You will reside in Bordeaux, and be allowed to move about with limited escort. You are free to take two ladies of your choosing to accompany you, along with all of your belongings. You will be permitted to join feasts and sup with the ladies of the court, should they have you, and you wish it.”

1130-Dub-Essa-house-arrest.jpg

The countess nodded and bowed her head. “That is most generous, my king. I thank you for this. Perhaps you are a better man than my husband.”

She did not seem much happier, but Geoffrey figured a “generous” imprisonment was still an imprisonment.

“Do you require anything else of me, my king?” she asked.

Geoffrey’s heart raced once more. Now was the moment. He could make his offer to her. And he was pretty confident she would accept. Because how could she refuse? Her husband had abandoned her, and she was his captive…

And there it was.

“No, that is all,” Geoffrey said.

The countess bowed before him, and then exited the chamber to be escorted away by guards. Geoffrey then requested Berard return to the room. If he was going to pass on attempting to bed the countess because he didn’t want to displease his friend, he might as well get some praise for it.

Berard re-entered the chamber and looked around, perhaps for the countess. When he did not see her, he stepped forward to the table where Geoffrey still sat.

“How did it go?” Berard asked.

“You’re here. And not her,” Geoffrey said. “I think that says it all, does it not?”

Berard smiled. “Thank you for listening. I know you didn’t have to.”

“You’re right,” Geoffrey said. “I didn’t.”

“It will be better for everyone in the long run,” Berard said. “There wasn’t much benef---”

Geoffrey put up his hand. He didn’t want to hear the reasoning.

“Berard, sit,” Geoffrey ordered. After Berard listened, the king poured out a cup of wine and put it down hard on the table, before telling him: “Drink.”

Berard eyed Geoffrey for a moment before picking up the cup. He looked at the red liquid within in silence. Then a small grin formed on his lips.

“Didn’t you miss me, Geoff?”

Geoffrey stared at Berard. He said nothing at first, but started slowly shaking his head. And then a smile followed, before he brought the cup to his lips and let loose a small laugh.

“I did.”

1130-Leon-won.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
RIP Berard :(
(Insert boomer joke about wife) For real though it's good that Berard is happy with his wife. And he is becoming yet another positive influence on the King. With luck he may be able to limit his degeneracy. Mind you Geoffery has so many good influences, Anges most obviously, and both his wife and mistress try to give him good counsel. Yet he still fucks up. You can lead a horse to water....

Geoffery 2 isn't as good as putting on a show as dear old dad but it's good that he knows it, that way he can improve himself.

Speaking of shows I've been thinking about the discussions of Allerade we had a few chapters back and if our AARuthor fancies it, I think I have a way he could mention her again, Troubadours. For a story set in Aquitaine, we haven't heard much of one of it's most famous exports. All the stranger considering how much Geoffery 1 loved his shows. The story of a proud lord giving up the love of his life for ambition only to have it all turned to ash would prove too juicy for the real-life troubadours to resist, especially if they add a fictional twist. I'm specifically thinking about all the songs and stories that sprung up about Rosamond Clifford. Of course, most of those are horribly inaccurate, as the ones about Allerade would be. That's the fun of it.;)

There are multiple women in the story who could play the role of Elanor in sponsoring the Troubadors. Anna de Periograd has a high intrigue score and her brother is a friend of the king so they could have a prominent cultural place at court. Essa is the character most like Elanor in our story, an independent woman ruling over her own fief. Plus if she still has the depressed trait she might need the entertainment. And I have the feeling young Princess Aines would be the type to love music. Elf obviously would hate them, which could make for great comedy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Geoff II got a show, but not quite the one he was looking for. His friendship with Berard is interesting. Even though Alias was Geoff I's best friend, I doubt he could make him reconsider his choice to bed someone.

Then again, Geoff II and Berard have grown up alongside each other, so one could argue their relationship is a bit more intertwined and personal, as opposed to the former's business relationship that evolved into friendship through several events.

Padric, Padric...an interesting "foe" so far. Definitely a proud man. With such limited perspective on him, I'd say that his course of rebuilding isn't necessarily bad for his people.

Even defeated it gives him some nice PR at the cost of making his family enemies/creating division amongst them. His relationship with our resident leper will surely pop up again, if not him then Ancel.

Best they adopt the customs of their conquered, or bring in some folks back home to eventually "displace" the native population, or coercing them that it is better to be d'Oc than Breton.

Classic Roman move...if Geoff I was still kicking.

In any case, perhaps this will be slight character development for Geoff II, or at least open up a road for it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then again, Geoff II and Berard have grown up alongside each other, so one could argue their relationship is a bit more intertwined and personal

I mean it isn't an exaggeration to say the two are almost brothers, especially given Berard's sister is almost a second wife to Geoffery.

Reactions:
Letting some of his...anger and frustration come through might make No. 2 a better king. Right now he's seething and taking secret, and petty, acts of vengeance which endear him to no one. I think even his closest buddies would respect him more for kicking Padric out and running him through on the field rather than assaulting his wife in secret. Nice growth to see he is no longer paralyzed by people slighting his authority, he is The King now. Just needs to figure out what sort of king he wants to be.

Reactions:
Response to this post from 5th November.

First off, I thought there was a truly delightful comic touch to this update. To be clear, I don't mean comic in the sense of buffoonery or slapstick, or another like that, but comic in the sense of a turn of phrase:

"I may not listen to my mother, but I still have to hear it,”
“And quite married. As are you… I thought. With a new son.”

Just a couple of examples. This humour is important, because I think it helps contrast some of what else is going on.

I don't mean the battle itself precisely - it is not much of a battle after all. I mean with Geoffrey. I find Geoffrey's inner monologue here entirely believable, his worries about comparison with his father, his own fears over his inexperience, dealing with the disagreeing advisors, having to fight for the first time, and then the business at the end (more on that later). This all strikes me as very true, not only in isolation but with what we know of Geoffrey to date. A somewhat brash and callow youth, still very much coming into his own, but also far from hopeless.

I rather liked his little speech. Short, sweet, from the heart and to the point. If he remembers it, there are some good lessons there for his future. It was not what his father would have done, or his grandfather, but was of his own creation and did the job at hand.

As for the fighting, his grandfather was a warrior born - his father learned to be an effective leader but knew himself well enough to try and avoid direct combat himself. Geoffrey, Geoffrey I wonder might go somewhere between the two. He is not his grandfather, but equally he seems more suited to direct action that his father. I will find it very interesting to see how future military endeavours pan out.

As to the end, on the one hand this is very Geoffrey. Very Geoffrey. We see displayed here all his youthful immaturity, and it does not excuse it. However, he also does not consummate his folly, which is surely a point in his favour. On the other hand Geoffrey is picking up a knack of being outmanouvred by strong women. I am not sure if that may have deleterious consequences in due course.

I also note that it is only after the final prayer at the end, and the request of forgiveness from the Lord we get this line: "Though the wine flowed that evening, Geoffrey only lightly partook in it. The feelings of fear and anticipation were fading, while the joy of finally achieving his victory washed over him. He didn't want that numbed."

He only gets to enjoy victory when he has made peace with God - and thus himself - but also he wants to savour that victory. In this, well in this he perhaps displays the more cerebral heritage of his father.

All in all there is a lot of serious goings on in this post, and it could be a little dour. But that comic timing and phrase keeps the entire thing more grounded in the messy (and sometimes faintly ridiculous) reality of the human condition.

As a final note I would to comment how much I have enjoyed seeing Knud of late.

• 1Love
Reactions:
This is a random question but which of Anges's two legitimate children are actually her late husband and which is that Count's? If I recall his daughter was the empress.

Now that I've been thinking about Anges and her children I have this theory that Foulques might in part be responsible for Beatrice's miserable life. He married her to her unce, and that degree of inbreeding might have made it difficult for them to have children. I know there are cases of uncles and nieces, and even brothers and sisters, having children, but I know it might have been more difficult. Also, it fits the theme of Foulque's actions wrecking the lives of those who come afterward. Speaking of Count Edouard have he and his new wife had children? I know he's totally irrelevant to the story at this point I was just curious.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Really enjoying the dynamic that Geoff and Berard have going on. Seeing the king unwind and show his "human" face (so to speak) beneath the royal mask is a refreshing change of pace. Theirs is a truly deep friendship -- they know one another well enough to be honest with their criticisms, while at the same time caring enough to know that there are lines not to be crossed. A relationship like that is a rare luxury for a king; Geoff had better not take it lightly.

Geoff may not be the master of pageantry that his father was, but in this instance at least his unscripted honesty worked better for him than any half-hearted spectacle. He takes after his grandfather in that way -- subtlety has its place, but when you hold the other guy's life (and the lives of his loved ones) in your hands, sometimes it's best to just dispense with the pleasantries and get down to business.

Also nice to see once again that Geoff is learning some measure of restraint (even if he has to have it brow-beaten into him). Again, I believe that his heart's in the right place -- he just needs to learn to be a little wiser, and to remember that his first instinctive impulse isn't always exactly the boon he may think it is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I quite enjoyed the show. While Geoffrey lost control a bit at times, I agree with Berard that it was probably for the best because it really threw Padric for a loop. And man, what a guy that Padric is, refusing to ransom his wife when he has the money. He's certainly established himself as a pretty awful guy in a short amount of time.

Geoffrey and Berard's relationship is one of the most interesting ones to read right now, and it's really good to have him around since he was actually able to stop Geoffrey from succumbing to his worst impulses here. Had he tried to go through with it I think he would have lost me forever.

Reactions:
I really enjoy the Geoffrey and Beard relationship. I also think that Geoffrey two is beginning to be able to control his desires.

All and all a great chapter!

• 1Like
Reactions: