At what point in your Stellaris run did you think "I'm a horrible person"?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I played xenophile corporation once and created the Abomination - big ecumenopolis where all the species of the galaxy lived in peace. I regret this deed and never again shall I commit such a terrible atrocity.

I created a race of fungus with syncretic evolution, they started with trees who immediately became livestock. I went for genetic mastery and gave the trees nerve stapled and tasty, I beat the endgame crisis without ever building a single farm. I'll be honest with you my economy was fantastic.

I created a race of fungus with syncretic evolution, they started with trees who immediately became livestock. I went for genetic mastery and gave the trees nerve stapled and tasty, I beat the endgame crisis without ever building a single farm. I'll be honest with you my economy was fantastic.
Remember, it's only monstrous and an abomination if they're sentient and/or the same species.

Sounds like you had neither as an issue :p

There was this time I started a war with the Devouring Swarm, then let it devour my federation buddy because I wanted their territory and it was more efficient to reacquire it from the Swarm. My wife was really appalled with that.

When I made an entire Fallen Empire into bio-trophies after they had saved the galaxy from the Contingency

How does that make you a horrible person? Those Pops will be treated to a paradisical life of ease much like their technology enabled them to live as Hedonists prior to their conquest. They, and the entire galaxy, will live in a post-scarcity paradise where their every need and want is fulfilled. Why does that make you feel bad?

Livestock and purging always make me feel guilty whenever I visit the diplomacy screen and see that little opinion malus staring at me judgmentally.

The AI knows what I did.

This is why I never use the Purge. I only use banishment. Livestock, however, are delicious and I have no qualm eating aliens. In RL, I believe that aliens are animals and not men (even sapient ones) and should thus be subject only to the protections animals get (e.g. protection against cruelty, beatings, abuse, etc. etc. etc., and humane treatment when harvesting their meat).

I played xenophile corporation once and created the Abomination - big ecumenopolis where all the species of the galaxy lived in peace. I regret this deed and never again shall I commit such a terrible atrocity.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I am sure some local Devouring Swarm will appreciate this luxurious dinner you have offered them. So many different species in a same meal!

One game I played in a 600-star system turned out starting very strange. The only empire I found withing the first twenty years was a Xenophobic Fallen Empire to my galactic south; so I decided to have my Hive Mind empire sprawl out as quickly as it could while I did not have to worry about preparing for war. Turns out that there was a hyperlane chokepoint that had a primitive civilization of cutie starfish with xenophobic ethics as well. Seeing as they were in the early space age, I realized if I let them be, they would cut off a part of my empire along that hyperlane. Even if they wouldn't be a threat to me, I did not want to look at a random spot in my empire that didn't belong to me.

Because of this, I sent a token army force to invade them and began processing them. After a few years (and an attempted rebellion), the last of the annoying starfish creatures were made into food (sometime around 2250-55). Literally three months later I run into my first alien science ship, belonging to Erudite Explorer plant-creatures. Within a couple years after that I had been put in contact with seven other space-faring empires, and found out a galactic market had been established without me having the option of promoting one of my planets. A lot had happened without me.

Yet each and every one of those empires at most only had an opinion malus towards me as a Hive Mind. Not a one of them had a xenophage or genocidal penalty against me.

That meant that none of these empires knew what I had done, or they didn't care. That starfish race was forgotten, as if it never existed.

Looking back, that was really disturbing. In my opinion, what is worse than being dead is to be entirely forgotten.

I felt like I cheated the system too. I literally got away with murder.

Why would I think my self a horrible person simply because my people ate every Xeno within my borders. And (through mod) nuked every spot on the planets close to my borders.
I was even happy when AI gave me an excuse to feed my space monster his planets after he attacked me because my threat has gone into quadruple digits.

Last edited:
In my last campaign, I decided to just start cracking some worlds because it was the War in Heaven and I'd rather get a small mineral bonus than deal with micro-managing the dozens of worlds I was getting in mere minutes. I had so many worlds that were underdeveloped that I just didn't want to deal with. For the first time, I missed the sector system.

Edit: I'd rather commit genocide on billions of people across the galaxy than god forbid put up a few precinct offices, industry, etc.

I had the opposite experience:

"Alright, time to play an enslaving Xeophobe! Mwuahaha!"
50-in game years later: "Look at this diverse Empire I have, where a dozen races work together to- WAIT!"

Another campaign:
"Alright, time to conquer the Egalitarian half a Galaxy with my Fanatical Authoritarian elves! These Democrats shall tremble before me and curse the day they insulted me!"
*conquers Egalitarian planets, erases unemployment, quality of life improves drastically, many new lives are born, everyone is happy*
"Ruling with Iron Fist is not as grimdark as I expected it to be..."

I swear that I TRY to be evil! But.It.Just.Doesn't.Work!

This one time, a federation invited me as a full member. I used their federation fleet as a punching bag against the grey tempest.

Then came in behind them and cleaned everything up, took the L-Cluster, left the federation, joined another federation, and combined our fleets to attack the first federation and steal their territory (all before the first federation could rebuild the federation fleet).

Nailed it!