At what point in your Stellaris run did you think "I'm a horrible person"?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Usually after making someone into a subject after bombarding their worlds into 100% devastation and no armies. It's not exactly nice to see "Best possible outcome", when you know that you killed so many pops and destroyed their economy for years for that.
After all they are your friendly subject now.

Usually after making someone into a subject after bombarding their worlds into 100% devastation and no armies. It's not exactly nice to see "Best possible outcome", when you know that you killed so many pops and destroyed their economy for years for that.
After all they are your friendly subject now.
What about the moment that you decide destroying the entire planet is less work and quicker?

I won't feel horrible for this, but it should go here.

I'm next door to a Borg species. They haven't messed with me yet. But I'm going to declare war and use my new Global Pacifier on them. So, that they live forever knowing that the galaxy is full of species to assimilate but they can't .

I won't feel horrible for this, but it should go here.

I'm next door to a Borg species. They haven't messed with me yet. But I'm going to declare war and use my new Global Pacifier on them. So, that they live forever knowing that the galaxy is full of species to assimilate but they can't .

XD

You won. Out off every petty things, like destroying Holly World to piss off spiritualist Fallen Empire, this is one of the most hilarious.

My Fanatical Befriender ally, the Blorg, is invaded by the all consuming Devouring Swarm. Neither of us are able to take their combined fleets in a straight fight so it's a matter of hit and runs on individual fleets and unprotected systems. It's not a matter of winning the war; the only option is to drag it out long enough for a truce. The Swarm carves a swath through his space and eventually reaches my Fortress World. Beyond it, my entire empire opens up and it will be impossible to contain him. After a brutally long siege where I basically just continuously spammed soldiers to replace the dead I managed to buy enough time to rebuild my navy and defeat their besieging fleet.

At this point the counter offensive officially begins. My fleets moved forward to reclaim Blorg Space and save his citizens from being purged. Now, if I recapture his territory it goes back to the Blorg. But what if, I don't recapture it? What if I let the devouring swarm consume his space and then in the next war, I take it instead? The Blorg will never know, and I'll look like the hero. Yes, the colonist will be dead and that is a tragedy, but this is war and the Blorg empire will be in tatters. They'll need a strong, stable friend to hold things together... strictly administrative. Until the threat is eliminated...

I mean just look at them with their soft pulsating bodies. Unable to defend their own people. They didn't hold the line and break the Swarm. WE DID. We withstood the years of bombs, converting every building on the planet toward defense. Conscripting every man woman and child and sending them off to the front. Yes Children! We sacrificed our children just so these soft and weak things could get their land handed back to them?!

As my fleets and battle hardened troops arrived in orbit over the captured Blorg colony the decision is already made. Intelligence suggest a large gathering of Crystalline Entities, are making worrying moves in a neighboring system. No doubt they have been riled up by the swarms dastardly invasion. It is a terrible decision, but if they attack now we'll be completely defenseless!

The fleets pull back, the war ends, and countless Blorg are purged out of existence.

Last edited:
When I keep buying "Penthulan" slaves from the market. The Penthulan Sovereignty is a Theocratic Dictatorship with Mining Guilds and Slaver Guilds civic. They keep putting their own people up for sale. I buy them, and then gene mod them to livestock. Tastes like Chicken.

upload_2018-12-30_22-4-54.png

Then I gift the excess food back to the Penthulans. I suppose cannibalism is not frowned upon.. perhaps they're vultures?

upload_2018-12-30_22-6-53.png

Last edited:
1. The point is what is OK for animals (like keeping them as pets) is not the same for sentient creatures

Sapient aliens are not men and thus are animals.

2. God says so is not an argument. Because...

A) It can be literally made for anything.

B) Which God? I mean even with Christianity, there's hundreds of different sects that interpret a single book differently. I mean, why should I believe a random guy on a video game forum has it right of the thousands of different beliefs in God in this world?

Name one major religion that doesn't consider man to be the master of Creation.

C) And seriously, if I said God wants us to love everyone and that's why I'm right, would you consider that? Nah. You'd say that I'm for X reason and it would become a theological debate. Like me, you certainly have no reason to believe a random guy on a video game forum knows more than you about what God actually wants.

We are called to love our fellow man, show mercy, love, and so on, etc .etc., without tolerating sin. We are called to forgive those who didn't deserve it and pray for our enemies.

What do all of those things have in common? "Our neighbor" is human. Forgiveness is human. Mercy to humans. Jesus outlined how we treat our fellow man. Aliens are not human. They are animals, and we are not required to treat animals the same way we treat men. We are, in fact, called to exercise our sovereignty over animals and become good stewards of the animals we control.

3. So, aliens don't have souls? Why not?

Souls were given to men. The Bible says that no other creature on the earth has a soul, because conciousness was breathed ("implanted") into man by God Himself.

Life from other planets really isn't addressed in the Bible considering people still thought the Earth was flat.

The first person to discover the earth was round and provide evidence for it lived around 2000 BC, and figured it out based on shadows and the fact that obelisks on the horizon of the same size as local obelisks looked smaller. The enslaved Jews, who wrote the Old Testament at God's Hand, would have been exposed to Egyptian science enough to know the earth is round. The Prophet Isaiah explicitly described the earth as a "circle" or "sphere". Around the time of Christ's birth, a Greek philosopher proved it and, IIRC, even made an educated guess on the earth's size. He was off by several thousand miles, if my memory serves me right.

So, there's no real guidance on alien lifeforms.

Fair enough.

Sure if you define a soul as something given by God, then sure, only humans have it. Of course, what is a soul? I mean give me a solid clear answer to the question philosophers and theologians have been trying to figure out for millenia. What is a soul? Without that answer, we can't measure whether they have souls or not.

The existence of the immortal soul can never be proven, so this is only my opinion.

An immortal soul is given by God, yes. -but based on what we currently know about sapient life, and the absence of aliens, we can easily say that the immortal soul is sapience itself. Obviously, if we encounter aliens, this would have to be revised or addressed, but as long as no intelligent life is discovered outside of this world, we can say that sapience is the key to a soul unless we're proven wrong..

It goes back to the "God said so" problem. Anyone can say it. But we have no measurable way to determine who is right. And something God only gave us isn't an answer. That's just saying who has it. Not what it is. And again, if we can't measure it, how can we say it something only possessed by us?

Humanity is the ordained master of the universe; one way we can prove that we are the superior lifeform is to subjugate and exploit life on other planets in a sustainable and responsible way. It is our destiny, after all.

4. War gives the right to plunder and subjugate others? So, that is horrific. That line of thinking justifies all war crimes. I thought you believed in treating actual people good. Theoretical human supremacy over aliens is one thing.

Subjugation, as in annexation or making puppet states, etc. etc., not sex crimes on the battlefield or genocide. Plunder, as in taking a nation's wealth and resources.

But I have a hard time believing that you only believe in the right of conquest of aliens. You state flat out that it is your belief. And the only wars we're having is between people. I mean, just........ That is messed up.

I do believe in the right of conquest. That doesn't mean I support genocide or the horrors of war, nor does it mean I want to go to war. War is heck and is not something that should be done lightly, nor should it be done without reason.

5. OK. Lemme get this straight. You assume that aliens won't have a peaceful nature, but at the same time you believe that winners in a war have the right plunder and subjugate their victims. I don't think you have that nature. Right of conquest is a barbaric and savage view. You can't claim to be about mercy and forgiveness and claim the right of conquest is a legit thing.

Every country on the earth has, and will, conquer other country's land. Conquest is a natural evolution of nation-states equal in importance to the Westphalian theory of national sovereignty.

Ironically, it is also the guarantor of peace. Someone builds a massive army, and then other nations in the area build their own. No one will attack a nation with a good standing army or nuclear weapons, and likewise, the "if they destroy us we destroy them" philosophy of Mutually-Assured Destruction is what prevents WWIII.

Do not misunderstand my belief in the right of conquest with an enthusiasm to wage war on everything. I'm not a neo-conservative and I do not belief in war for the fun of it, nor do I believe that war is fun. War is heck and it is atrocious, simultaneously bringing out the best and worst of humanity. It is not something desirable.

6. There's no "well, they're probably jerks, so we should be jerks." It's treat others how you want to be treated. You're literally arguing against the concept of what the Golden Rule is. But hey, what would that Jesus guy know about morality?

The Golden Rule applies to men, not mere animals, and certainly not aliens. We are called to a different code when treating animals: dignity in containment, painless slaughter for consumption, the prohibition on wasting animal meat and, of course, freedom from torture and starvation, etc. etc. etc., which would naturally be extended to aliens.

When I keep buying "Penthulan" slaves from the market. The Penthulan Sovereignty is a Theocratic Dictatorship with Mining Guilds and Slaver Guilds civic. They keep putting their own people up for sale. I buy them, and then gene mod them to livestock. Tastes like Chicken.

View attachment 436413

Then I gift the excess food back to the Penthulans. I suppose cannibalism is not frowned upon.. perhaps they're vultures?

View attachment 436414

DELICIOUS!

I'd say the times I feel guilty are when I'll let the Khan [or Crisis or whatever] run amok so I can come though at a time of my choosing and pick up all of the pieces :) Just did that with my ME game.

When my Pacifist empire clapped its hands with glee that my premature opening of the L-gate was leading to the utter destruction of the rest of the galaxy. I could probably have saved them, but I sat on my fleets and wait until they destroyed the system where my Precursor Home was located so I could move in ...

I think maybe they took out literally half the galaxy and 7 different empires, as well as a bunch of trader enclaves.

I dedicated one world to production of minerals/alloys/goods for my entire empire. To facilitate this, I attempted to build robots on my tech-world and resettle them to the mining world. Unfortunately, the growth speed was much too short and I couldn't be bothered to wait. Rather than buy all the slaves I could on the market, and end up getting a mixed bag, I invaded my weak pacifist neighbour who had about 200 pops overall. After conquering his planets, I transferred all of his pops out of his planets and enslaved them in the worker strata on every world in my empire. I purged every xeno not employed. He was also dabbling in half-breeding with a disgusting fungoid species, so I executed all the half-breeds as well.
After my alloy production shot up from slavery and upgrading them to tier 3, I provoked a war with the weakest FE, and fortified my only border system. Alloy production was at about 860/month before consumption. I then started a monthly trade of 300 alloys on the GM, and the price started steadily climbing from around 3.50 to 36.7. I was getting about 11K income before deductions every month from this one trade. After the FE lost a battle, he sued for white peace.
After this, the price for alloys remained around 35. I then bought-friended everyone in the galaxy and formed a massive Federation.

TLDR: Enslaved 200 pops, made bunch of alloys, provoked war with FE, sold alloys.

Yes you can [change species portraits with Evolutionary Mastery]. There's even a play-style called "fanatic cutifier" based on this possibility.

A quick Google search turned up nothing regarding this term. Do you think that you could direct me to some more information, or demonstrations of, that way to play "Stellaris"?

It was when I designed my homeworld species to quickly die and have as many negative traits as possible as a personal challenge.

I don't remember the exact event sequence, but almost immediately into my run a rogue scientist designed a retrovirus to mutate my species. I thought "enh, my species is already horrible enough. What's the worst that can happen?"

We all mutated into Blorg.

Any time I don't play fanatic purifiers. Dealing with xenos like enclaves and caravans. Peaceful co-existence with alien empires.

And when I stop expanding because developing those colonies is hard work.

When i had one run deciding which species live as domestic slaves and which dies just on a base of their looks.
Same game when i decided that invading planets was too tedious because i didn't wanted their crap hellholes but someone else will always colonize it and i will have to invade them again.
So i just colossused almost everything from pure laziness. And depite this i still had hundreds of pops wanting to be exterminated on my home world (on a side note, why it take so long and what do they even eat, they should drop dead from hunger in short time), but this don't matter, since those were the disgusting slimy and chitinous things while fluffy and cute xenos (i do have a lot of mods installed) were busy serving my people.
Also mental note to the Psi Corps: exterminate the extermination squads, they are slacking off.