• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like France, but I hope something bad happens to it. They haven't lost a war except the coalition.

They lost the Austrian Independence War way back. :D

WWI Counter-Revolutionary Victory

On 11 November 1918, the deadliest conflict the world had ever seen came to an end. After years of gruelling trench warfare and high casualty rates, the Counter-Revolutionaries made a breakthrough and forced a victory. The Germans, after fighting off enemies on four separate fronts for so long, overcame the forces gathered against them and crushed their neighbours. The Revolutionaries collapsed, unable to hold out any longer. Peace had to be established. What that peace would be would not be favourable for the Revolutionaries.

The war had been started over the Balkans and that was the first issue dealt with. Italy had been beaten back by Serbia and Greece, removing them from the Balkans. The two powers wanted this to be a permanent situation. Serbia claimed Italy’s mainland possessions in the Balkans and Greece took Crete and Cyprus. There was some conflict with Romania, who also wanted Cyprus. Romania had occupied the eastern half of the island and refused to relinquish it. While the Counter-Revolutionaries officially recognized Greece as the new owner of the island, Romania did not hand over its half. This was destined to be a point of tension between the two.

With France assuming leadership of the Revolutionaries and a constant thorn in Germany’s side, they had a humiliating fate forced upon them and their neighbours. The Netherlands were set free from French domination and became a vassal of Germany. Trier faced a much worse fate as they were annexed. Germany, wanting to ensure France was weak and they had a buffer region to use, annexed Alsace-Lorraine and a few other eastern provinces from France. At Portugal’s request, a puppet state was established in southern France called Guyenne to fall under Portuguese influence. The revolutionary government in Paris was dismantled by force and a relative of the German Emperor put in place as a puppet monarch. Germany was taking no chances with a possible revival of the Revolution this time.

Despite losing their Balkan territory, Italy was not let off the hook yet. During the joint war effort, the German Emperor had brought Bavaria and Tirol more and more under his rule. By the end, the two nations had been integrated into Germany in all but name. Now sharing a border with Italy, Germany needed a buffer. Switzerland was restored land it once held. Sardinia-Piedmont was set free again, taking some French land, as well as northwest Italy and Sardinia and Corsica. Portugal took the Baleares as it rightfully belonged to an Iberian nation. Venice was then granted independence as well, controlling northeast Italy. Reduced to the central and southern parts of the peninsula, Italy was in no condition to rise up again.

In northern Europe, Germany took the opportunity to dismantle Scandinavia and remove them as a threat. They took Holstein as their own and forced both Denmark and Finland free, while Prussia nabbed Gotland. Scandinavia, despite their name, no longer controlled all of Scandinavia. As for Great Scotland, they had been relatively untouched on the home island. However, a Portuguese blockade and the capture of their colonies increased unrest at home. Irish separatists rose up, discontent with their Scottish overlords. Preoccupied with the war, they had no choice but to give into the rebels demands. Ireland was granted independence as a result.

In Eastern Europe, Poland and Hungary found themselves beset from all sides. Serbia and Germany claimed their coastline, connecting Germany to the Adriatic. Romania expanded their territory into Hungary. Poland found its western half swallowed up by Prussia, while Lithuania, in a bitter twist of irony, subjugated Poland under a new Commonwealth, this time ruled from Lithuania. A bit further east, Georgia ceased to exist as Romania finished the job.

In Iberia, Portugal was finally able to finish what they had been wanting for decades. With Spain completely occupied, they annexed the nation and their vassal Navarra, uniting the entire region. They then claimed most of Spain’s colonies, taking all they possessed in the Atlantic and Asia. Spain’s African provinces were given to Morocco instead. Speaking of Africa, Romania pushed a bit into Egypt, while Morocco captured the northern halves of Mali and Hausa. The southern halves were divided between Haiti and Brazil as colonies. Further south, Portugal took Great Scotland and Nova Hispania’s colonies in South Africa, as well as Madagascar from France, giving them complete control of the southern tip of Africa.

Portugal’s dominance continued even further east. All islands in the Indian Ocean were claimed from the Revolutionaries. Australia was annexed by Portuguese Australia. Portugal took all of Spain’s and France’s islands in the Pacific. Majapahit was mostly untouched, since Portugal did not have the resources to occupy the European colonies and Majapahit at the same time. Japan had contributed significantly in capturing the Philippines, so they were awarded the island chain and Guam. As promised, Japan was granted Taiwan by Portugal and Portugal returned all European-controlled territory in China to Ming. As for Manchu, Ming and Japan carved them up between them.

The New World was less decisive than the Old World. There were few total victories here, so the concessions were not as damning. Alaska overcame California and annexed them. The native nations proved strong in their unified front, but were not strong enough to defeat Canada and Mexico completely. Shoshone extended their eastern and southern borders only a bit into their lands, while Assiniboine expanded only a bit northwards. Cree was able to claim all of Canada’s land south of the St. Lawrence and push west into Mexico, although Haiti claimed the coastiline. Haiti also took full control of the Caribbean, annexing Antilles and claiming all the islands including Trinidad and Curacao.

In South America, the Counter-Revolutionaries punished those that went against them and broke apart the League. Inca and Brazil took a piece out of Colombia. Brazil, alongside Granada Al-Jadida, annexed Cosmopolitaine Brazil, removing the former French colony from the area. Nova Hispania lost a few provinces to Brazil and Granada Al-Jadida here and there, while La Plata lost land to Inca. Now the nations of South America would have to pick up the pieces and see if they could re-establish trust again.

World War I was over and at a great cost. So many nations lay in ruin or had ceased to exist. The Counter-Revolutionaries had won and established dominance in the world, but they were just as weak from the fight. The question was not if the Revolutionaries would seek revenge, but rather when. The First World War had only created new grudges without providing an avenue for peaceful reconciliation. There would be conflict in the future. World War II was inevitable.

Well there you have it, the alternate victory for the Counter-Revolutionaries. This will also be the last update for this AAR, meaning it is officially done. I could keep going on, but now that I've started alternate scenarios that would mean even more possibilities for WWII. At this point it has become just a province swap and there's no point in continuing. Sorry if any of you wanted to read even more.

Anyway, thank you all for tagging along for the ride. It was a very long but fun one. I'm honestly surprised I made it all the way. I have a habit of not being able to commit to a game, but playing the same one for months is quite an accomplishment for me. There were highs and lows, times when I would write an update every day and times when I went weeks without writing one and just relied on my backlog. What kept me going was knowing there were people out there who actually found this AAR entertaining, which was quick the surprise since this was my first AAR after all. I certainly found the experience rewarding. It helped me get over some of my difficulties, such as not being able to finish an EUIV game, while also changing a few of my habits. I'm sure those who were there at the start remember how much I avoided loans, only to be taking them out frequently in later updates. Having readers vote on nations to play was a great experience, even if it did mess with my updating schedule at times, but I enjoyed seeing people feel invested in what was happening. I'll have lots of fond memories of things that happened in this game, like my unexpected victory against France in the Austrian Independence War, the great Aladdin of Berar, managing to help Naples form Italy after a few times with them, the formation of Romania (who will always be strong), or seeing AI Scotland manage to form Great Britain (or rather Great Scotland as we have fondly called it for awhile). Writing the post-history was also an interesting experience. It was a lot of hard work and probably wasn't needed, but it gave me the chance to write up some entertaining events and fix borders. If you had told me back in October when I started this AAR that it would receive a couple awards and that I'd start an iAAR, I'd call you crazy. This AAR was the one to break me into AAR writing and it will always have a special place in my heart for that. Yet again, I thank you all for joining me on this wild ride. Unfortunately, our tour of the world must come to an end. See you all around AARland. :)

It truly has been a fun ride. I remember when I first saw your AAR, and thought myself "This sounds fun!", then I have forgotten about it, only to remember is around the first Naples update.I always waited in anticipation for the next update thinking "What will be the next nation?". And than I forgot about it again :oops:. But than I found it again around the time I decided that I will start participating in the interactive part.
Anyway...
Iberia looks so good in green! :p Romania will remain stronk, and I like Mexico's borders. The natives got their revenge, and poor BBB got crushed :(. They only wanted to spread the revolution, why all the hate? Germany is just a grey blob to me. I like and hate their borders. And that would be about it. I still think that the Revolutionary victory was a lot better.

I guess I'll go create a time machine and see how will you react. :p

Reactions:
This was a great ending to a great AAR! This was one of the first AARs that I read, before I created an account, and let's just say that I felt inspired by it. Keep up the good work!

Reactions:
It truly has been a fun ride. I remember when I first saw your AAR, and thought myself "This sounds fun!", then I have forgotten about it, only to remember is around the first Naples update.I always waited in anticipation for the next update thinking "What will be the next nation?". And than I forgot about it again :oops:. But than I found it again around the time I decided that I will start participating in the interactive part.
Anyway...
Iberia looks so good in green! :p Romania will remain stronk, and I like Mexico's borders. The natives got their revenge, and poor BBB got crushed :(. They only wanted to spread the revolution, why all the hate? Germany is just a grey blob to me. I like and hate their borders. And that would be about it. I still think that the Revolutionary victory was a lot better.

I guess I'll go create a time machine and see how will you react. :p

Lots of forgetfulness there. Didn't bother subscribing the first two times? :p

The Revolution will never truly die!

Well if you do travel back, include a copy of my AAR so I can just copy and paste instead of writing it all. :D

This was a great ending to a great AAR! This was one of the first AARs that I read, before I created an account, and let's just say that I felt inspired by it. Keep up the good work!

You were a lurker that whole time? I always knew there was a lot of them, but could never figure out their numbers. :p

Reactions:

Well if you do travel back, include a copy of my AAR so I can just copy and paste instead of writing it all. :D

You were a lurker that whole time? I always knew there was a lot of them, but could never figure out their numbers. :p
I lurked around about a couple months before joining.
All part of the plan to umask them all, eh?;)

Reactions:
I lurked around about a couple months before joining.
All part of the plan to umask them all, eh?;)

I worked so hard to get them all out in the light. Lol, I wonder how many read my comments on trying to reveal them and kept hidden. :p

Reactions:
Congratulations for finishing such a long an eventful ride through the countries and centuries, and even the time after that! Even if I got here late, it has been a very enjoyable read and certainly one of my inspirations for my own random AAR. Well done to bring it to the end!

.... Though I very much prefer the revolutionary victory. :rolleyes:

Congratulations for finishing such a long an eventful ride through the countries and centuries, and even the time after that! Even if I got here late, it has been a very enjoyable read and certainly one of my inspirations for my own random AAR. Well done to bring it to the end!

.... Though I very much prefer the revolutionary victory. :rolleyes:

I prefer the Revolutionaries too. ;)

Well I'm glad you took inspiration from this AAR for yours. Random AARs are quite fun and interesting to read. I certainly enjoy your crazy world. Ning for life! :D

Back then I didn't even know how to subscribe, so that's why it happened. Viva le Revolution! Revolutionaries will rise again!

Back then I didn't even know how to subscribe, so that's why it happened. Viva le Revolution! Revolutionaries will rise again!

That reminds me of a joke I was going to include if I decided to do WWII. Here is a map of the world if Soviet Russia had been involved in the world war:

No, that map isn't empty. The grey merely represents the extent of Soviet territory. All belongs to Mother Russia. :D

Reactions:
In Soviet Russia, wasteland colonizes YOU!

Reactions: