• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The main thing to fix is the dang icons not showing up for assets downloaded from Steam when in game. Basically I dont download any assets other than buildings at this point, since they just become a jumbled sea of non-existant icons. This is single-handedly ruining the mod experience for many people. No point downloading 10 intersections when I cant tell them apart in game - just a sea of duplicate icons in the road menu. Aarrgghh.

I really couldn't agree with this more. If CO could fix it so all the icons/images for all asset types could be somewhat easily added, that would be everything to me. Everything else, like tunnels, is just gravy. I hope we can get that sooner than in 1+ month. The workshop is just filling up more and more every day with items without icons.

I agree with you guys on this, so much so that I took matters into my own hands while we wait for a proper fix from CO.

You can add icons to anything except prop and tree assets right now. I learned how to do it from Lord Rato, and wrote a guide about it : )

See here for guide. Many authors are already doing it I'm happy to say, icons have started popping up amid the sea of white blocks in my menus lately : )

Hey @TotalyMoo, any chance of a Dev diary with a bit more detail on, or behind the scenes of, the next update? :)

I'll see what can be done here :) Don't count on it but maybe!

Can we get a bug tracker or known issues list?

Would be nice to know, which bugs the devs are aware of.

Anything that has been posted with a repro (or enough info) in our forums & support channels is documented.

Reactions:
Thanks CO for a great game and for all of this post-release support! Tunnels will be an awesome addition and I was thinking about making some models that worked wall-to-wall, but, I guess I will wait for your update to see what you come up with first.

will there be any further updates after this one? perhaps a modding features update (unlocking more options in the asset creation tool like plop anywhere, terrain conforming props, etc...)

There is a lack of identifiying "dead assets" and to "unsubscribe" from them fast.

When a workshop item is deleted by the author, but the player is still subscribed, then an entry is found in the Content Manager - Steam Workshop with only the workshop ID as name.

The only way to get rid off them is to click on X on every single identified item after scrolling through the list, waiting until it's done, then the scroll bar jumps back to top, now I have to find the spot again in the list where I was and continue scrolling and searching for dead items.

The simplest solution would be checkboxes to mark and two buttons for "deactivate" and "unsubscribe" marked items, when all items are found, just click on the button.

Additionally a nicer way would be a button to "search for dead or incompatible items" and automatically mark them.

Reactions:
Hey CO, could we get more bridge styles, or more control over which style to use and when to use them? Sometimes one wants them plain and simple, with no suspension thingies too you know, like here:

2im4xtu.jpg

This does not look right

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, even if the game is still genial like it already is at all, I do not understand why CO is actually concentrated to “add” more gaming options like tunnels and wallbuildings instead of solving problems/bugs that are given in the currently given gameplay.

I do not want to be snobbishly or tell anyone what he has to do, but if I would make something and will release it, my thirst steps would be to fix all or at least the main occurring Problems in gameplay and after that is done, the game become almost very stable and sinful in reaction and giving sinful feedback to the player so he could easily identify problems so he can chose the right decisions to solve them.

So why to take on too much at once? Fist make a complete bug fix (Traffic AI, behavior of services in special cases, no working tourism, horrorfull working of Train/Cargo/Harbor Stations – Railroads, educations system etc. etc.) an than, after that is done, implement new features.

Step by step will give the best results.

Well, it is clear, that CO is not able to make everyone in the same time happy. They have to prioritize. But bugfixing is more important than feature implementing in any case I think.

I also thinking about the large number of sold CS Games… …more like 1 million today I think?

Well if that is true and CO was maybe getting 5-10 bugs per copy, they already should now have enough money to expand their programmer recourses (at least for a short period of time like one year for example) to have enough manpower to handle the big main problem bugs in a acceptably period of time and also have capacity to implement some new cool stuff in the meantime… .

However, tunnels sounds very interesting!

Reactions:
Well, even if the game is still genial like it already is at all, I do not understand why CO is actually concentrated to “add” more gaming options like tunnels and wallbuildings instead of solving problems/bugs that are given in the currently given gameplay.

I do not want to be snobbishly or tell anyone what he has to do, but if I would make something and will release it, my thirst steps would be to fix all or at least the main occurring Problems in gameplay and after that is done, the game become almost very stable and sinful in reaction and giving sinful feedback to the player so he could easily identify problems so he can chose the right decisions to solve them.

So why to take on too much at once? Fist make a complete bug fix (Traffic AI, behavior of services in special cases, no working tourism, horrorfull working of Train/Cargo/Harbor Stations – Railroads, educations system etc. etc.) an than, after that is done, implement new features.

Well, it is clear, that CO is not able to make everyone in the same time happy. They have to prioritize. But bugfixing is more important than feature implementing in any case I think.

I also thinking about the large number of sold CS Games… …more like 1 million today I think?

Well if that is true and CO was maybe getting 5-10 bugs per copy, they already should now have enough money to expand their programmer recourses (at least for a short period of time like one year for example) to have enough manpower to handle the big main problem bugs in a acceptably period of time and also have capacity to implement some new cool stuff in the meantime… .

Well, there are BUG's, Bug's, bug's and issues.

There are crash errors for some Linux and IOS users which we know they are currently working to fix. I'd call these BUGs.

There a Bug's which on the surface seem like bug's and may well be bug's or may be just the way the game works and a lack of understanding means the city we've built is suffering. One of these was the lack of Commercial demand which actually was a bug but was corrected when identified. The Lack of Tourist numbers is one which I think may be an actual Bug and may need addressing similar to the Commercial. Others have been reported as "Lack of Educated Worker" bug reports and "No Goods to Sell" (sic) bug reports on Steam. These I think (but would need dev confirmation) are usually because of City Layout, Traffic Issues and poor Industry balance.

There a bug's that get reported on Steam with demand that the game be fixed which generally get solved once a combination of Mods get turned off.

Then there are issues which form the majority of bug complaints on Steam. These are normally corrected by seeing a screenshot of the person's city and then telling them the reason the fires are not being put out is because their fire station is at the wrong end of a one-way street and can't reach anywhere (a slight exaggeration, but not much).

If the May Patch could

1. Solve the majority of BUG's for those users who cannot play properly.
2. Take a look at the Tourist comments and either correct it or explain why the numbers are so low.
3. Allow asset pictures to be displayed correctly
4. Allow Tunnels
5. Add W2W buildings.

Then I'd be pretty happy.

There's probably a link somewhere that I've missed but if we had a list of items to be addressed in this patch I'd be really happy. Maybe a list of reported items that the Devs have identified as actual bugs or something that needs tweaking.

There a Bug's which on the surface seem like bug's and may well be bug's or may be just the way the game works and a lack of understanding means the city we've built is suffering. One of these was the lack of Commercial demand which actually was a bug but was corrected when identified. The Lack of Tourist numbers is one which I think may be an actual Bug and may need addressing similar to the Commercial. Others have been reported as "Lack of Educated Worker" bug reports and "No Goods to Sell" (sic) bug reports on Steam. These I think (but would need dev confirmation) are usually because of City Layout, Traffic Issues and poor Industry balance.
Funny - recruitment problems and lack of product when demand is high are "bugs" with the real world, too. I demand a fix!! Come on, creator- it's been millenia and still these obvious flaws are in the "game"!! :mad:;):p

When it comes to wall-to-wall-buildings it's really not that hard. As long as buildings are place really close to the border of their cells (they fill the cells from side to side), they really look like wall-to-wall-buildings when they are placed close to each other. Corner-wall-to-wall-buildings could also be made if a growable building is able to recognize that it is placed next to two different roads.

What really is needed is a bigger control of what types of buildings that will be built in a district. If we could create and manage "groups" or "categories" of buildings and link them to a district, that would be great. In that way, we could decide that only "wall-to-wall-buildings" or similar will grow in a certian districts. This will make it easier to create city centre areas or suburbs and so on.

Tunnels should really work like they did in CiM2. It was really easy to make good, realistic tunnels in CiM2. At the same time you should consider re-working the road tool, like in CiM2. There you could decide what type of road, and then decide the number of lanes with a slider. Really neat and easy!

Off topic but can I ask what map that is?
Is my own.

2vtxedu.jpg

I'm currently play-testing it, but I could share it if you'd be interested... Have to fix a few quick things first... There might be other things wrong with I'm not aware of yet, but mostly I'm quite satisfied with it :)

Edit: A link for anyone else interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430729506
Sorry for the spam, damage already done. Won't happen again :oops:

Last edited:
Is my own.

2vtxedu.jpg

I'm currently play-testing it, but I could share it if you'd be interested... Have to fix a few quick things first... There might be other things wrong with I'm not aware of yet, but mostly I'm quite satisfied with it :)

Yeah when you have finished it, I would like to download it. Looks like my type of map :)

Programming is an art ;).
Sometimes the biggest issue with fixing bugs is replicating them, tracking them down &/or actually locating the cause. And this is easier said than done. Most software development aim to address both at same time ie bugs & adding more content.
Why?: because adding more content/features keeps people interested, keeps people buying said product; this in turn keeps said software profitable, keeps employees in paid job. And so long as bugs/issues are being maintained at decent rate, some amount/level of issues is tolorable by people to a degree. I use to think the similar as you did, until I learned programming for myself :p.

Reactions:
To those complaining about deathwaves:
I think those deathwaves are caused by your playstyle.
I have never noticed a single deathwave in any of my cities.
I just build my cities so that people are moving to my city constantly.
So don't wait for the residential demand to peak, then pause and build 2km² of residential areas, unpause and leave the game until all of the residential areas are filled within a couple of minutes.
If you keep the people moving in constantly instead of having immigration waves, you shouldn't have any issues.

I was under the impression that the no-icon-for-assets-issue was a "high priority"? (I think those were the exact words from a paradox or CO employee, don't ask me where I read it)
So, with this issue not being mentioned in the OP (or anywhere in the thread, by any CO/Paradox-employee), I am disappointed atm.
I hope that it's just you didn't mention it, but it will be included in the next update nevertheless, because this, in my eyes should not be "a high priority", but nothing less than "priority #1". And priority #2 should be correcting the steam tags (there are buildings that don't have a steam tag applied).

Concerning the no-icons-for-assets-issue: Will you guys at CO/Paradox be implementing a script that automatically creates icons for assets that are being/have been saved without being manually assigned an icon?
Cause I doubt that every asset creator of otherwise nice assets will revisit all of their assets to apply an icon (plus, it could create issues with savegames...)

Reactions:
Now, I know that we are dealing with a patch and not additional content ala DLC.. If I'm honest, this game is ALREADY epic, even as Vanilla, but even more so when you customise it with the Mods that have been sent in to the world..

There are a few tweaks I'd love to see in the base game..
Lane control as a standard.. Allow us to control left and right turns or where traffic flows to (the mod out there is GREAT but could be part of the base game to make it more stable)
When placing bus / metro stops, can we have a highlighted radius to see how far apart we should be placing the stops (like C.I.M 2 did)?
Additional bridges would be amazing, but I'd also be willing to buy this as a DLC
Bus lanes on existing roads and a new road type that allows busses only (single or 2 lane etc)
Emergency vehicles that don't stop at traffic lights - but I get that this could be an issue in larger cities that are using more vehicles in terms of routing etc..
I've noticed that when you have a highway that has an off-ramp, traffic in that outside lane will only use that lane if coming off the ramp (despite the arrows on the road suggesting that they could use it to go straight on too, effectively reducing the highway to 2 "ahead" lanes at that point) - is this a bug or a problem with my road creation?
Although there is already a VAST array of road types available, there could be more options for direction / lanes / capacity etc... ie 4 lane one way, bus / emergency lanes, wide avenues, pedestrian-only roads (including ones as wide as avenues etc too) etc
I also get the idea of having people with higher education in better paid jobs (ie offices) so, is there any way to have an office demand indicator too? That way, when you've built the Hadron Collider, you know when to start swapping out your factories for offices instead?
An option that can be selected that will automatically tweak (upon a button press request.. and not as game progresses) that will alter which settings to restrict to help with game slowdown as the city gets bigger - ie hide traffic / people, reduce detail, shadows etc. (in the same way that some games have "auto-detect" for graphics settings - but this would be mid point in the game rather than universal settings)
Improved tourism numbers - making the visit counts on destinations more realistic, commercial streets busier etc.

Otherwise, this game is one of the most stable games that I've been able to play and as you see, the suggested list is a bit "scraping the bottom of the barrel".. It seems to have been pretty much perfect to start with and whatever tweaks the patch brings will only be just that.. tweaks.. there doesn't seem to be anything glaringly missing in my eyes..