AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do better traps also hurt more?
Yes. That star or asterisk bracketing the name...

AD_120.jpg

... means "masterwork", and masterwork weapons or trap components inflict DOUBLE damage.

There are several grades in between normal and masterwork (well-crafted, finely-crafted, superior, exceptional, etc) and the damage bonus is also graded, in steps of +20%.

EDIT: Also, the quality of the Mechanism that's used to build the trap influences the to-Hit roll, so it is worthwhile to have a dedicated highly-skilled Mechanic making the mechanisms.

Reactions:
started a slow fort myself...testing out the 3 layers of walls :)

sadly no...good metals around...only Galena...so I guess my militia will be in Lead...with Silver weapons!

edit: lead is not an armor metal :(
I do not like how fas forts grow these days....I went up to 70 dwarfs within a year...that is too fast.

The Human caravan has arrived.

They brought my Grizzly Bears!

started a slow fort myself...testing out the 3 layers of walls :)

sadly no...good metals around...only Galena...so I guess my militia will be in Lead...with Silver weapons!

edit: lead is not an armor metal :(
I do not like how fas forts grow these days....I went up to 70 dwarfs within a year...that is too fast.
During World Generation, you can set how common minerals are. I usually choose one of the higher settings.

The number of immigrants you get is influenced (+) by the fort's created wealth, and (-) by casualties. So if you lose a few dwarves and don't make anything very valuable, you'll get few immigrants.

Both bees and bears like honey therefore they must be closely related so as a bee psychologist I volunteer myself to train the Grizzly Bears*. How hard can it be? :p

*Assuming I have a appropriate high animal handling skill of course.

Both bees and bears like honey therefore they must be closely related so as a bee psychologist I volunteer myself to train the Grizzly Bears*. How hard can it be? :p

*Assuming I have a appropriate high animal handling skill of course.
You have the highest Animal Caretaker skill of any of our 150 Dwarves, but no skill in Animal Training.

... so once they're trained, you can look after them; but somebody else should train them for you.

You will henceforth have a new career as a BEAR Psychologist.

Good enough for me.

BTW I've got to say the fort looks awesome, it's impressive how much you've managed to achieve in the short time frame.
Yeah, I'm really happy with it. We're nearly ready to face an invasion... as long as it doesn't include fliers!

Currently manufacturing armor, weapons and equipment with a view to doubling (or tripling) the size of our Militia.

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. We're nearly ready to face an invasion... as long as it doesn't include fliers!

Currently manufacturing armor, weapons and equipment with a view to doubling (or tripling) the size of our Militia.
Could you roof the entire castle courtyard, or does that create a problem (say for plants)?

...testing out the 3 layers of walls :)
This is how I do it:

AD_121.jpg

Three levels of wall, using Blocks (not rough stone) for the upper two levels. a floor overhanging outward to stop climbers (although Legendary climbers could still get past it) and a Fortification overhanging beyond that. Constructed Fortifications have an inherent floor, but no inherent roof; so I put a constructed roof on top of the Fortification and extend it backwards to overhang the walkway.

That prevents my Dwarves from jumping off the wall, unless they are Legendary Climbers (who could get up onto the roof regardless).

Reactions:
Could you roof the entire castle courtyard, or does that create a problem (say for plants)?
It could be done, yes. It would require THOUSANDS of blocks and would be very micro-intensive, since I can only "safely" designate a construction after another construction has been built to support that position.

On the other hand, it WOULD solve our flier problem (except for building destroyer fliers).

I'm about to release the Grizzly Bears. The Humans ASSURE me that they've already been thoroughly tamed.

We'll see...

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned. They really ARE tame.

AD_122.jpg

... and there's our Animal Trainer, training the first Bear as a War Grizzly.

EDIT again:

AD_123.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
We should really take our war grizzlies and go visit the pointy ears to teach them a lesson!

We should really take our war grizzlies and go visit the pointy ears to teach them a lesson!

Elf : "I love nature!"

War Grizzly : "RAARRGH!" *grab* *rip* *mangle* *bite*

• 3Haha
Reactions:
As you can probably tell by the asterisks, that was a MASTERWORK mangle.

I might mention, just in passing, that Gorillas can ALSO be trained as War Beasts. We could train them for Gorilla Warfare!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Yes the elves must be made to know the error of their ways.

Thirteen more migrants bring us up to 163 Dwarves.

We simply MUST get more of these dwarves into uniform.

blue emu, have you ever done an expedition with your militia? if so could you please show how that is done? (no nee dto rush it or anything, but if naturally you come upon it, can you please show it in detail?) :)
I've never done it, no. Perhaps we'll raid these Hippies after I get our Militia built up to a reasonable number and quality.

Speaking of the Militia... I've been getting lots (lots!) of "equipment mismatch" errors every time a squad goes on duty. I think I've finally figured out why, and I'm going to try a radical solution. I'll design a COMPLETE uniform, from the socks and underwear on up, and then tell them that it "replaces clothing" so they'll take EVERYTHING off, and put on the clothes that I've prepared for them.

Currently making socks, shirts, pants, etc to incorporate into the uniform.

The problem that I think I've encountered is that Helms won't go on over their civilian caps, armored Boots won't go on over their shoes, Gauntlets won't go on over their gloves, and so on. So I'll design the WHOLE outfit, using only components that will work together.

Reactions:
I have doubled the size of the militia, to two squads each of 10 Marksdwarves, one squad of ten Speardwarves and one squad of 10 Hammerdwarves.

Forty soldiers in total.

I am making armor, weapons and equipment to increase that to 60... and then perhaps to 80.

I'm wondering if I should start mining Adamantite before putting our Axedwarf and Sworddwarf squads together... but I would much prefer to get a Legendary Weaponsmith and a Legendary Armorsmith before I start using up the "Candy". We have a very strictly limited amount of it... nowhere near enough to equip all of our troops.