AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More importantly... he survived... Should the hole be deeper?
He was only eight levels up. The shaft is 20 levels deep, and each level counts for more than the previous one.

In other news, we have finished roofing in both the Trade Depot and the Dodge-Em Trap, and are about half finished the second level of our outer walls.

AD_104.jpg

The wall looks crennelated because I am working from several ramps at once, to speed up the process.

Still no invaders, but we've only completed two years. We've got a LOT accomplished in two years!

You achieved more in 2 years than I would in 10 years. :D :p Looks like we are in a really good place when we get invaded.

Also does the river freeze over during winter? If so we might need an underground well during the winter.

You achieved more in 2 years than I would in 10 years. :D :p Looks like we are in a really good place when we get invaded.

Also does the river freeze over during winter? If so we might need an underground well during the winter.
We're in the sub-tropics, so it never drops below freezing.

Our outer wall has reached two levels everywhere, and we are about to start on level three.

We're in the sub-tropics, so it never drops below freezing.

Our outer wall has reached two levels everywhere, and we are about to start on level three.
But what happens if it does?

It wouldn't hurt to dig a well, true.

At the moment, my effort is focused on getting our outer wall up and manufacturing trap components.

More equipment for the Militia wouldn't hurt, either.

Now THIS is cool...

It turns out that half-way down our Dodge-Em Trap (level 11 out of 20) the shaft passes right next to one of our temples. And it turns out to be the temple of the God of Murder! So I've knocked out part of the wall and rebuilt it with Glass Blocks, so the worshippers of the God of Murder can watch doomed invaders plummet right past their window on the way to a big splat on the floor ten levels below.

It's these little touches that Dwarves appreciate.
that is so awesome... you made me want to play DF again :)...

why do you build the wall so high?

A few reasons.

1) Invaders can climb, now. Level one walls now offer very little trouble to a determined attacker. There's a chance of slipping and falling for each level climbed, so a three-level wall is more difficult to climb than a one-level wall. I am also planning to add an outward overhang to the wall, so that climbing it won't work unless the invader can also crawl across the ceiling upside down to get past the overhang.

2) I'm going to put a row of fortifications (arrow slits) along the top of the wall, so Marksdwarves can line up along the wall and shoot at invaders in the fields outside. Not sure if you know how Fortifications are treated in-game, but the protection they offer depends on how close each party is to the fortification. If the enemy can get adjacent to the fortification, then it offers my dwarves no protection at all... and the further the enemy is away from it, the more protection it offers me. So putting my fortifications on top of a level-3 wall ensures that the opponent cannot get closer than three tiles (unless he can fly, of course).

3) When Marksdwarves are close to the enemy and run out of bolts, they have a distressing tendency to run into melee and start whacking opponents over the head with their crossbows. This rarely ends well. So I'm putting the fortifications up three levels, to keep my Marksdwarves further away from their targets, reducing the chance that they will pull a "Leroy Jenkins".

no moat? you are not afraid of Trolls that can destroy buildings? including walls/bridges and doors?
Building Destroyers cannot destroy walls. They can indeed destroy drawbridges... from all sides except the bottom (the outer face, when raised).

That means that it is ESSENTIAL to always counter-sink your drawbridges, so that when they are raised, the left and right edges disappear into the wall and only the (invulnerable) outer face is accessible.

Doors? Any doors that an opponent can reach will be gated behind a counter-sunk drawbridge immediately in front of them.

Reactions:
Here's an example of what I was talking about:

AD_105.jpg

The doors (made out of Magma-safe stone, like the drawbridge) are placed so that they cannot be seen or attacked when the drawbridge is raised. Naturally, the drawbridge raises southward, so that when it is up it will be presenting its invulnerable outward (bottom) face to the north. It has been counter-sunk into the stonework of the Keep, so the left and right edges of the drawbridge cannot be attacked when it is raised.

Reactions:
thank you very helpfull... my marksdwarves still went leroy jenkins ...but I think my tower was 2 levels high. i will adjust to three :)
Even three might not be enough... but I'm planning to ENCLOSE my marksdwarves. Floor underneath them, arrow slits in front of them, a roof overhead and my fort behind them. Hopefully, even if they go into full Leroy Jenkins mode, they won't be able to reach the attackers.

Our wall has reached three levels all around! Now I'm extending my ramps upward enough to reach the top of the wall, so that I can add the overhang and the fortifications along the outer edge.

I should also mention... smooth stone is much harder to climb than rough stone. Only the lowest level of my wall was made out of rough stone. Both the second and third levels (and the fortifications, when they are done) are made out of Blocks instead of boulders... and unlike boulders, Blocks assemble into "Smooth Stone Wall".

Reactions:
Our Militia is up to two squads of ten dwarves each (instead of six in each), and we are preparing armor, weapons and equipment for two more squads.

Manufacture of trap components continues, of course.

Last edited:
An Armok Vision rendering of our three-level wall, with construction ramps. We are now starting work on the battlements.

AD_106.jpg

You should totally add a moat and towers, to make for a proper medieval castle :)

I was planning towers... but I'd REALLY like to get the absolute essentials done before a hundred Zombies arrive on the map. Once my Fortifications along the top of the wall are done, I think we can withstand any siege that doesn't include dozens of fliers. If nothing else, we could just raise all the drawbridges.

We can add towers once we can hold off a siege.

Can the enemy get in by way of the river?

No. It's a "Stream", which means that it has a walkable top surface. A Miner would need to channel a hole through the surface of the stream before anyone could use it, even if they could breathe water.

Weird physics, I know.

Heh... I just checked the DF Wiki, and this is EXACTLY what I've been building at the top of our walls. Good to know it's official!

AD_107.jpg

Can the enemy get in by way of the river?

You may be wondering why I decided to build our castle on top of the river instead of beside it.

The answer is: Water-Wheels. I can channel out part of the stream, and construct enough Water-Wheels to power our Magma Pump Stack.

Of course, this will require a complicated series of levers, gears and axles to move the power from where it's generated to where it's needed.

But complicated is Dwarfy!