AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Still waiting for the magma to dry. I've been replacing Granite components as they become reachable.

AD_465.jpg

This I understand.

AD_466.jpg

Not sure about this one.

Iche Bins... are you weaponizing our cats?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
The cat is sparring:

AD_467.jpg

Looks like time to test our magma drop!

Looks like only fifteen of them this time. I guess we clobbered them pretty hard last time.

Should we bother wasting a magma drop on fifteen Gobbos? Or wait for a bigger siege?

EDIT: I didn't bother dropping the magma on such a small threat. The siege has been broken and the survivors fled.

Last edited:
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Ninety-eight of our two hundred and fifteen dwarves... nearly half of them... are Legendary at one skill or another. This greatly increases the value of the goods we produce, since a high proportion of them are Masterwork.

We have mined our first eight chunks of Adamantine ore... which is enough to forge two Axes (four each), Swords (three each) or Spears (three each).

We have mined our first eight chunks of Adamantine ore... which is enough to forge two Axes (four each), Swords (three each) or Spears (three each).
Well aren't all our speardwarves naming their gear?

Besides Itchy bins always bites anyway.

Reactions:
It may be a long time before we see any more adamantine that those eight chunks.

Almost all of it (that I've found) is submerged in magma or exposed in the open cavern.

I've noticed that the outermost drawbridge on the Dodge-Em Trap is also controlled by a mechanism made of Granite. So I'm replacing it now.

EDIT:

The drawbridge sealing the bottom of the DET... the one that melted during our recent test... is also being replaced with a fully magma-safe DB, as are the four cage traps that couldn't take the heat. When that is done, the next DB (closing the mustering room just outside the DET-bottom) will also be replaced.

Last edited:
It may be a long time before we see any more adamantine that those eight chunks.

Almost all of it (that I've found) is submerged in magma or exposed in the open cavern.
Maybe you should keep a few chucks for artifacts.

Yeah, I haven't used any of it yet. I would rather secure a decent supply before commiting myself.

Yeah, I haven't used any of it yet. I would rather secure a decent supply before commiting myself.
You better make one axe then.

The east drop pan (the one that failed catastrophically during our test) has been rebuilt and is now being rewired. Once all parts of the system have been rebuilt and verified to be magma-safe, a second test will be run.

EDIT:

All of the rooftop components have been double-checked and verified to be magma-safe. We are now completing the replacement and verification of the DET-Bottom components... you may recall that during the DET-bottom magma fill test, the drawbridge down there failed and the magma poured out into the mustering room. Luckily (or, more accurately, "as planned") the quantity of magma involved was too little to pour OUT of the mustering room, and the breach was contained harmlessly.

Last edited:
Testing will now recommence at the point where it was scrubbed earlier... with the filling of the east drop pan.

First, all of the floodgates are closed, and the magma pump is started. Our power consumption immediately rises from 493 (idle) to 3332 (pump stack running).

That looks correct. Now the stack isolate hatches are flipped open, to bring the running pump stack into contact with the magma sea.

When the routing corridor at the top of the pump stack is uniformly filled to 7/7 magma, the lever is pulled to open the Magmaduct East floodgate, in order to route the pumped magma in that direction.

AD_468.jpg

Immediately, the conduit leading east is filled with lava. It is stopped only when it reaches the Depot Magma Drop metering tank floodgate.

AD_469.jpg

Now that floodgate is opened as well, to allow the pumped magma to approach the East Drop Pan.

AD_470.jpg

The pumped magma continues on, through the open floodgate, until it is stopped by the East Pan Isolate floodgate.

AD_471.jpg

Now we will open that last floodgate in the eastern chain. It was this operation that led to the uncommanded magma drop that ended our last testing session.

AD_472.jpg

The pan fills rapidly.

AD_473.jpg

We will now close all of the floodgates in that chain, leaving the eastern Magmaduct in a ready state to drop on either the eastern entrance or the trade depot itself.

AD_474.jpg

Perfect. We'll also refill the northern metering tank, in preparation for any DET magma dump that might be required, and then we will let the north and east branches "cook" for a while, to see if anything melts. Meanwhile, we'll get on with testing the southern Magmaduct branch and drop pan.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: