AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Pump Stack has reached level 157. The top of the tower is level 161.

Not long now!

Finished! The Magma Pump Stack is finished!

AD_440.jpg

... all the way from the Magma Sea on level 27, up to the top of the tower on level 161, and across to the overhead holding tank, and across to the water-wheel power plant on the river.

That took freaking YEARS!

It's ready to test, but I think I'll wait until the Human Caravan leaves before running any sort of test.

• 2Like
Reactions:
can you pre-pump some magma to store it? or is it really fast and there is no need for it?
I intend to do exactly that, yes.

But since one of the conduits leads to the Trade Depot, and since nothing has been tested yet, I'm going to wait until the Depot is empty before running any tests. After all, if I accidentally included even one non-magma-safe component out of the thousands that this construction required, we might get an unexpected magma breach somewhere. I would rather not fry the Human caravan... we are already at war with the Gobbos and the Hippies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Now you can relocate your magma forges closer to the surface
Exactly. Especially the glass industry. I can relocate it near that patch of sand, which is the material ingredient required for Glassmaking.

Last edited:
One of the Marksdwarves in HDK's squad has created an artifact... a single Skunk Leather Glove (not part of a pair) worth over 47 thousand dwarf-bucks.

... it's got a picture of me butchering a cat.

I might mention that Yvanoff's chambers have at least five engravings of me butchering cats. Come ON, people... the little vermin will over-run us if we don't keep their numbers down. Besides... mmmm... kittenburgers...

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
All right... the caravan has left, the Depot is empty, and I've closed the outer and middle drawbridges. This is the "Elf melting" configuration.

AD_441.jpg

Let's start the pump stack and see if it holds together. Remember that a single wrong component (or a single mistake in assembly) and the pump stack will collapse and we'll have magma everywhere.

Up at the top of the tower, everything appears to be ready. All the hatches and floodgates are closed.

AD_442.jpg

If everything goes as planned, then when we flip the switch to engage the power take-off, the pump-stack will start and the magma will bucket-brigade from level to level all the way up from level 27 to level 161, then fill that two-wide corridor WITHOUT leaking out... and then it will stop, waiting for us to route it north, east, south or down into the holding tank.

Let's give it a try...

Last edited:
Up at the top of the tower, everything appears to be ready. All the hatches and floodgates are closed.

View attachment 743125

If everything goes as planned, then when we flip the switch to engage the power take-off, the pump-stack will start and themagma will bucket-brigade from level to level all the way up from level 27 to level 161, then fill that two-wide corridor WITHOUT leaking out... and then it will stop, waiting for us to route it north, east, south or down into the holding tank.

Let's give it a try...
How did it go?

First we'll run it "dry"... with the hatches at the bottom of the stack closed, so no magma actually enters the pump stack.

With the pump stack running and connected to both the power station and the pressurization pumps inside the overhead holding tank, our power drain is 3499.

AD_443.jpg

That looks correct. We even have 600 power in reserve!

Now we'll throw the disconnect switch for the pressurization pumps inside the overhead holding tank, turning them off while leaving the pump stack running.

It works! The pumps in the overhead holding tank stop (while the stack keeps on running) and our power requirements drop to 3332! Looks great!

AD_444.jpg

So we've tested the assembly and power connections.

Now we're ready for a full-up "wet" test... to determine whether the entire structure is magma-proof and magma-tight.

I send the command to open the stack isolate hatches...

Hatches closed...

AD_445.jpg

... and open!

AD_446.jpg

The magma get bucket-bridged up a dozen levels, and then enters the northward diversion to get it around that unanticipated cavern.

AD_447.jpg

Then it goes up this new stack more than a dozen levels, until it passes the cavern roof and can be diverted southward again...

AD_448.jpg

... then straight up the stack a hundred levels or so, to the top of the tower:

AD_449.jpg

This appears to be working!

• 1Love
Reactions:
And when every tile reaches 7/7 magma, forward motion stops, waiting for me to open a valve.

AD_450.jpg

That concludes the Phase 2 tests... Phase 1 was verifying that the pumps actually work and that power was being distributed properly. Phase 2 was the magma-safe and magma-tight tests.

Before continuing to the Phase 3 tests (magma routing and distribution) I will visually examine the whole stack for leaks. It's nearly 140 levels, so this will take a few minutes.

Please stand by...

All 135 levels appear to be magma-tight. No leaks visible.

Now we'll try routing the magma all the way north, and filling the magma drop pan that is above (and in front of) our DET entrance.

This will involve opening three floodgates... the one that stops the magma from flowing north, and the front and back of the DET magma dump metering tank.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Perfect!

AD_451.jpg

Now we'll shut those three floodgates again (something that would need to be done before an actual magma drop anyway) and we will similarly test-fill the east magma drop pan... the one outside the Trade Depot entrance.

Still working like a charm.

AD_452.jpg

Now for the east magmaduct test...

Still going great.

AD_453.jpg

Now let's close those floodgates again (to get ready for a drop) and fill the south magma drop pan.

Whooops!

Mountainhome, we've had a problem... the east pan has performed an uncommanded drop.

AD_454.jpg

AD_455.jpg

There must have been some non-magma-proof parts mixed in, either for the drawbridge or for the control mechanism.

I'll shut down the pump stack and empty out that distribution corridor, so our dwarves can investigate after the magma is gone.

... a pretty good series of tests up to that point, though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That will be all the testing until we dry out the magma, figure out what went wrong and rebuild (and reconnect) the east drop pan DB.

The pan outside the DET remains ready to drop, however, and that's the primary avenue of approach for invaders.