Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I won't be satisfied until we have a 100,000 ton supercarrier, and when we have that, we need a 100,000 ton jump dreadnought to guide it along. Whole lives could be lived never leaving such a vessel.

Do you have any plans for the new game that sooner or later will be inevitably to start Emu?

I was hoping that one of the other Forum members would want to start a new game, once the v5.5x build is debugged.

I also had the possibility of a "story AAR" in mind... a new game, at normal difficulty but with all the nasties turned on; with Earth led by leader obsessed by Astrology, and making decisions based on the positioning and symbolic import of the planets. Called "Mars Ascending".

Well, seeing as his Father retired after the glorious discoveries on El Dorado, Horatio Strange would also like to join the Xenological Institute of the Avian Empire.

I was hoping that one of the other Forum members would want to start a new game, once the v5.5x build is debugged.

I also had the possibility of a "story AAR" in mind... a new game, at normal difficulty but with all the nasties turned on; with Earth led by leader obsessed by Astrology, and making decisions based on the positioning and symbolic import of the planets. Called "Mars Ascending".

I'm still interested in seeing how this one turns out, although I suppose it would make sense to set some sort of end-point. How much of the galaxy remains to be discovered?

I'm still interested in seeing how this one turns out, although I suppose it would make sense to set some sort of end-point. How much of the galaxy remains to be discovered?

We've explored about 1/4 of the Galaxy.

I thought it was:

The slower of ( fire control and the faster of (turret or ship's speed ) ).

... so for non-turreted beams, it's just the slower (not the faster) of fire control or ship's speed.

Whoops, meant slower. But if you'll notice your turrest track at 10000km/s but your FC tracks at 25000km/s and if your base FC speed is 6250km/s that means your FC has the 4x speed option selected which means it is 4 times bigger than necessary and your turrets are not making use of that potential so the space is wasted.

Whoops, meant slower. But if you'll notice your turrest track at 10000km/s but your FC tracks at 25000km/s and if your base FC speed is 6250km/s that means your FC has the 4x speed option selected which means it is 4 times bigger than necessary and your turrets are not making use of that potential so the space is wasted.

Actually it still needs the x2 option to make it faster than 10.000 KPS. But yeah, you could cut that size down to half what it is now.

You must be referring to the non-jump Quality class Battleship... all the other ship models have much quicker turrets (40,000 kps for the Gemstone, for example). On the Quality-NJ, the anti-missile PD turrets do match the FC speed, only the main armament turrets (anti-ship weapons, which won't likely be firing at missiles) are slower; and of course, 10,000 kps is fine for an anti-ship weapon's tracking speed. Agreed, I could reduce the size of the main armament FC somewhat... but displacement isn't at a premium on that build anyway. I don't think I'll bother. Extra research.

We are up to September 24th, 2059. Commodore Avernite has retired from service. Our explorations of the ruins on Gliese 250 A-II have unearthed a Genetic Lab with details of the Biology tech Genome Sequence +20% Oxygen level tolerance.

Sorry to bother you on this, but I wasn't sure if you'd seen my request for a new character or not.

Back in game, have you done any Genetic Modification?

Sorry to bother you on this, but I wasn't sure if you'd seen my request for a new character or not.

Back in game, have you done any Genetic Modification?

I'll add you... as a Xenologist? No genetic modification yet, no... I find it just as easy to terraform the planet itself.

Rear Admiral Billy Bob has retired. Commodore Daemon has been killed in an accident.

Am I still going strong?

Scientist Bo has completed research on our new missile drive prototype and a series of new, faster and longer range missiles has entered production along with a new series of Photon Strike Fighters and Air-Superiority Fighters. We have taken advantage of the more powerful missile drive to design a two-stage size-6 missile with a booster stage giving the bus a range of roughly 120 m-km and a high-speed strength-9 warhead capable of 100%+ accuracy against 10,000 kps targets. However, even with the Magnetic Confinement Missile Drive this missile is just barely practical (it takes about two hours to cruise out to seperation range), so we are still building one-stage missiles for general fleet engagements and reserving the two-stage missile for long-range bombardment situations.

It is now December, 2059... thirty-five years into the game. Still no sign of the Swarm or the Invaders, which have both been turned on for a couple of years now.

Scientist Bo has completed research on our new missile drive prototype and a series of new, faster and longer range missiles has entered production along with a new series of Photon Strike Fighters and Air-Superiority Fighters. We have taken advantage of the more powerful missile drive to design a two-stage size-6 missile with a booster stage giving the bus a range of roughly 120 m-km and a high-speed strength-9 warhead capable of 100%+ accuracy against 10,000 kps targets. However, even with the Magnetic Confinement Missile Drive this missile is just barely practical (it takes about two hours to cruise out to seperation range), so we are still building one-stage missiles for general fleet engagements and reserving the two-stage missile for long-range bombardment situations.

It is now December, 2059... thirty-five years into the game. Still no sign of the Swarm or the Invaders, which have both been turned on for a couple of years now.

How much of our galaxy have you explored?

How much of our galaxy have you explored?

About a quarter.

Speaking of the new missile drive... our size-1 Point Defense missiles can now reach out nearly 40 m-km, although the sensors and fire controls needed to lock on to a missile-sized target at that range are still prohibitively massive. Still, we can easily shoot at ships with our PD armament at that range.

Any interuptions at all? Seems weird that not even NPRs should encounter any resistance.

Any interuptions at all? Seems weird that not even NPRs should encounter any resistance.

I only rarely experience interrupts that could be traced to NPR battles... and with the Chix at war with the Kiri Conglomerate, those interrupts that I do encounter are probably easily explained.