The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A bit more than seven, I know, but I think we could also include the old city of Timbuktu as the eighth man made Wonder of the World since Mali was pretty wealthy at one point I believe during its short lived colonization period and prospered up to the eighteenth century I believe. That, and I kind of want to include at least one man-made wonder from Africa besides the pyramids.:D Also if you haven´t, I suggest adding this Wonder post to the table of contents like the other cultural posts.
The Old City of Timbuktu seems like a good choice for the eighth wonder.
On that note, what would be considered the seven natural wonders of the world here? I´m sure we could keep Victoria Falls (I think it was called Franz Joespf Falls if I recall correctly) Mount Everest and the Great Reef near Penglai as popular Natural Wonders, but I´m not sure about the other stuff. Maybe we could include the harbor of Jinshan in Fusang?
Pearl River Delta (Hong Kong)

Jinshan Harbor (Fusang)

Great Reef (Penglai)

Franz Joseph Falls (The Reich)

The Amazon (The Reich)

Great Canyon (Fusang)

Aurora (N/A)
What would Roman castles be like here, especially since Neuschwantstan still exist here as seen by a picture from the End of History. I picture old Roman castles might have seen a surge in popularity after the destroying of the Brandenburg Palace in the fifties and another surge when reconstruction on Brandenburg and Potsdam Palace began. Plus alot of the castles might still be used here so they would probably be refurbished with modern ammendiates by nobles. Also does Hohenzollern Castle (the residence of the Hohenzollerns IRL) still exist here?
Neuschwanstein Castle was built in a romanticist style popular during the late 19th century, where imitating medieval structures was in fashion. Actually old medieval castles wouldn't look as nice. They'd be practical and sturdy, able to resist an attack but also keep its inhabitants comfortable. After the destruction of Brandenburg Palace and the Potsdam palaces, high-ranking nobility actually began renovating and modernizing their old castles, making them their primary residences.

Hohenzollern Castle still exists. It's actually where the OTL Hohenzollerns (not my custom Hohenzollerns) are based.
How different would some of these dilacets be from the main Berliner dilact? I imagine some dilacets in sub sharan Africa and Neurhomonia would be pretty different from the main German dilact to the point that they would be hard to understand for speakers of other dilacts. Also if German has this many dialects, how many dilects would Greek have and what would they be like? Futhermore, I´m kind of wondering what is the situation in the Occupied Territories lingisticily since they did had the Soviets enforce artificial languages on them for decades.
I'm not a linguist, but I imagine the dialects would become more distinctive the farther you get from Berlin. Grammar, a few spellings, and the slang would be different. In western Germany you have the Frisians and other German dialects. In France you have the French dialect. In Austria you have the Austrian dialect. In Italy you have the Italian dialect. At this point someone from Berlin could still understand them. In Africa the settlers' German is almost its own language. In Sudafrika Bauer German is basically its own language already.

I don't know about Greece, but I assume there's a similar situation. The Anatolians would speak a slightly different Greek. Illyrians would speak an even more different Greek with some South Slav influences. Greeks in the Middle East would speak with Arabic influences. And the Greeks in Mauretania and northern Mali (I accidentally placed them there when setting up the cultures) would speak a Greek almost impossible to comprehend by someone from Greece.

Languages in the former Occupied Territories are a strange matter. The northerners speak German with significant Polish, Czech, and Hungarian influences, notably among slang. The southerners speak Greek with Romanian, Russian, and Armenian/Georgian influences. The artificial languages remain in use among academics and by the older generations, while younger generations have embraced German and Greek as a break from the equalist past.
Considering that in additon to Lithinian Pagans and Orthodox chritsians making up a majorty of the population of Agyetptus, I remember the Coptics making up a large portion of Agypetus so what would Coptic Christianity be like?
Coptic Christianity remains a popular faith in both Aegyptus and Abyssinia. It's tolerated by both authorities and is roughly similar to what it is in OTL. But they take a backseat to the Lithuanian pagans and the Orthodox Christians.
I just rememberd that the Shogunate of Japan is christian actually, which is odd since the relgious divde between Imperial Japan and the Shogunate was the whole reason for Japan being divided here.:p But I´m wondering what is Japanese Christianity like and what is the religious situation in both Japans and to a lesser extent Ainu Monsior, also what other places in Asia would have Christian influences and denominations?
The religious divide is actually being lessened now instead of widened. Both countries are relatively democratic and have relaxed border controls, although there are still flare ups every now and then. Migration is a fact of life. Many Christians have actually begun settling in Imperial Japan, while many Buddhists/Shintoists have moved to the Shogunate. Japanese Christianity is unique in that it incorporates many local traditions (Buddhist teachings, local folk religion) into its teachings and welcomes innovation and tolerance to avoid trampling on local culture. Ainu Mosir is mostly shamanist with Buddhist/Shinto influences.

India, Southeast Asia, Yavdi, western China, Persia, and Central Asia all have substantial Christian populations.
I also thought a bit and realized that Christianity is mostly confined to the Reich technically, so what would Christianity outside of the Reich be like?
As with Japanese Christianity, other denominations outside the Reich incorporate local traditions and customs and run their own services with little input from Europe. Local patriarchs are the supreme authority in each denomination.

Reactions:
The Parasite, Part 1

Mumbai shoreline - January 31, 2009, 9:00 PM

Captain Michael Leibowitz’s radio buzzed.

“Captain Leibowitz, what's your 20?” Alpha said.

“We're in tow,” Michael said, “200 meters out. What's your ETA?”

“We're in position,” Alpha said, “Standing by. No activity, Captain.”

“Verstanden,” Michael said, “Hold position. Gamma?”

“In position,” Gamma said, “Standing by.”

“Delta?” Michael said.

“Standing by, Captain,” Delta said.

“Verstanden,” Michael said, “Cutting engines. At South Bank now.”

Michael cut the engine to his speedboat, and the other boats with him also cut their engines as they approached the shore.

“Shore quiet,” Michael said, “Beta, status?”

“All quiet, sir,” Beta said, “Wait. I think I hear something. We have Lima in sight.”

A truck rolled around the corner, heading for a waterfront dock.

“All teams, move out!” Michael ordered. “Go, go, go!”

Michael’s SWAT teams stormed out of their boats and up the beach. They quickly surrounded the truck before it could drive away.

“Stop the truck!” the agents shouted, brandishing their guns at the driver. “Stay where you are! Out! Out! Get out! Hands where I can see them!”

The driver got out and was immediately handcuffed. Michael and an agent walked around to the back of the truck and opened it. However, the only thing inside were boxes of stuffed bears.

Strasburg field office - February 4, 2009, 8:00 AM

“Panda bears?” Kurtz said. “Frakking panda bears? I assume you checked inside them.”

“They knew we were coming,” Michael said, “Somewhere, they made a switch. Jacob Schmidt. Began working for the shipping company a week before the container was packed. He had access to the container. He's also got a science background. Customs has him back and forth from Yangon eight times in the past 12 months.”

“Other local agents on the operation?” Kurtz said.

“Coscarelli and Scrimm, check page 47,” Michael said.

“Weight of the container after pickup was 1306 pounds,” Kurtz said, “The weight when it arrived in India before shipping, 1299. That's seven pounds. What the hell weighs seven pounds?”

Michael suddenly collapsed, gasping for air and clutching his stomach in pain.

“Michael?” Kurtz said.

Strasburg General Hospital - 8:15 AM

“What'd you give him?” a doctor said, pushing Michael along a stretcher.

“One round of epinephrine,” a nurse said, checking Michael’s eyes, “Intermittent cardiac arrest. I've never seen anything like this. Pupils fixed one minute, dilating the next.”

They wheeled him into the emergency room and prepared surgical tools.

“How's the rhythm now?” the doctor asked.

“Asystole,” the nurse said.

“Charge the paddles,” the doctor said, “We'll start at 200.”

The nurse grabbed the defibrillators and charged them. Behind them, the doors swung open, and Michael’s wife Samantha ran in, followed by Kurtz.

“What's happening?” Samantha said.

“We don't know,” Kurtz said.

“Is he going to be okay?” Samantha said. “Is it a heart attack?”

“The only thing for us to do is wait,” Kurtz said.

“Clear!” the doctor said.

The nurse pressed the paddles against Michael’s chest, and he convulsed.

“Alright, again,” the doctor said, “Let's go to 300. Clear!”

The nurse jolted Michael again.

“Okay, we need to open him up, pump the heart manually,” the doctor said, “Prep him. Scalpel... Saw. Retractor.”

The nurse handed the doctor a scalpel, while assistants placed a retractor over Michael’s chest. The doctor cut into Michael, revealing his innards, while the assistants tightened the retractor, holding open the incision.

“We got something, his heart's beating,” the nurse said, “Wait, what the frak is that?”

The doctor looked closer and saw a slug-like organism constricting Michael’s heart.

“I…don’t know,” she said.

10:00 AM

“In happened in my office two hours ago,” Kurtz said, “It wasn't a heart attack. At least not in the traditional sense. They cordoned off the area. But ZKP’s been here already, said the thing isn't communicable, thank God. I would’ve lost my appetite.”

“The thing?” Anders said.

“We'll get to that,” Kurtz said.

“You have any gum?” Walter said.

“No, Walter,” Anders said.

“Mints?” Walter said.

“No,” Anna said, “Later.”

“Agent Leibowitz returned from an operation last week in Mumbai,” Kurtz said, “Do you know him at all?”

“No,” Angela said.

“He collapsed,” Kurtz said, “Thought it was a seizure at first, except he appeared lucid, in pain. Didn't seem like a heart attack either. None of us knew what it was, and the hospital’s stumped. And none of us know now either.”

“How are his vital signs?” Angela said.

“Weakening,” Kurtz said, “Dr. Humboldt, what you're about to see... I don't know if you've seen anything like it before. But I'm hoping you have. I'm hoping you can help. The man lying in that room is not just a colleague, he's a friend. We’ve been friends since the Gulf.”

“I see,” Walter said, “Do you have any mints?”

“Damn it,” Anders said.

They walked into the operating room, where Michael still lay, hooked up to life support. The organism was still wrapped around Michael’s heart.

“This is spectacular,” Walter said, pointing at the organism.

“Spectacular,” Anna said, “I'm sure he'd be thrilled to hear your diagnosis.”

“Do you know what that is?” Diana said.

“Your work or your old experiments, does that look... look familiar?” Anders said.

“No, couldn't be more aberrational,” Walter said, “I'm simply admiring the design. It’s at least partially organic. Looks like the hybrid result of genetic manipulation. Symmetrical, its central body mass. If indeed it is an organism at all, It's designed, it seems, to envelope the entire human heart. Look, look. A series of tendrils. A root system. Don't you see it? How beautiful this is?”

“Not so much, no,” Olga said, “Maybe if I shoot it.”

“Can you help?” Angela said. “Do you think you can remove it?”

“Oh, I'd be willing to try,” Walter said, “But not here. My breath is atrocious.”

Walter’s lab - 10:00 AM

“I was deconstructing in my head the approach to designing something like this,” Walter said, “And… and two things occurred to me in the hospital. One, we could be dealing with something as simple as, uh, Giardia Duodenalis.”

“As simple as that,” Diana said, “Really?”

“It's a single-celled parasite that lives in the intestines of animals,” Anna said.

“Common waterborne illness,” Angela said.

“Could we attach Herr…” Walter said.

“Leibowitz,” Anna said.

“…to the vitals machine, please?” Walter said.

“So you're saying that... that thing in his chest…” Angela said.

“It’s a parasite,” Anders said.

“Yes,” Walter said, “Yes, perhaps. But with an exceptional means of attachment. Typically, parasites use whole body insertion. This creature is unlike anything I've ever seen before. So we won't be able to truly examine it until it's removed.”

Olga handed Angela a folder. “Agent Leibowitz’s recent case files, as requested.”

“Oh, thanks, Olga,” Angela said.

“And his wife just arrived,” Olga said, “She asked to speak with you.”

“I'll talk to her in the office,” Angela said, heading off.

Anna connected Michael to Walter’s equipment. “Okay, he's wired. What was the other thing?”

“Pardon?” Walter said.

“You said two things occurred to you,” Anna said, “What's the other one?”

“Oh, I would still really like some gum,” Walter said, “Or some mints?”

Anders reluctantly handed him a pack of minds.

“Thanks, Anders,” Walter said.

Angela stepped into her office next to the lab, where Samantha waited in front of her desk.

“Frau Leibowitz, I’m Angela Hansen, Athanatoi,” Angela said.

“Samantha,” Samantha said, “I'm hoping you can help me. No one will tell me anything. Why was he transferred here? Can you at least tell me that?”

“I can tell you that there's a doctor here who is... uniquely qualified to save your husband's life,” Angela said.

Samantha handed her a sheet of paper with numbers on it. “This was in his bag. Among the things he brought home from Mumbai. I don't know if it'll help at all.”

“It might,” Angela said, “We'll check it out. Thank you.”

“Can I see Michael?” Samantha said. “Please?”

“As soon as possible,” Angela said, “I promise you that.”

Outside, Walter stepped back from Michael, whose heartbeat sped up.

“Uh-oh…” he said.

“What's happening?” Diana said.

“It's killing him,” Walter said, “Squeezing his heart. Killing him.”

“Yeah, that’s what killing him means,” Olga said.

Anna picked up a syringe.

“What are you doing?” Anders said.

“I'm going to give him some cyclobenzaprine,” Anna said, “If the parasite is constricting, this might loosen its grip.”

“It's a gamble, but I like the theory,” Walter said.

Anna injected Michael with the syringe, and his heartbeat slowed to normal. Walter took a scalpel and cut out a piece of the organism.

“Look at this,” Walter said, walking away, “This is good. Organism's tissue.”

“Where the hell are you going?” Anders said.

“DNA analysis should tell us much,” Walter said, “Excellent work, children. You may have found your true calling at last. Working with me.”

“God no,” Anders said.

“I certainly hope not,” Anna said.

Angela walked back into the lab. “Please tell me you guys have some good news.”

“I don't know if it's good news, but it’s something,” Diana said.

“This is fascinating,” Walter said from a computer, “We can assume that this growth, this parasite, is... is of human design, yes?”

“Of course,” Anders said.

“I was looking for repetition,” Walter said, “The signature of the creator. A sign, a... a footprint that he or she had been there before us.”

“I don't understand,” Angela said.

“Well, that puts you in the same group as the rest of humanity,” Anna said, pointing to Walter’s computer screen, “What he's trying to say is we found this.”

“Ah,” Walter said, “No, see that? This pattern repeats throughout the DNA sequence. It appears again and again. But it's too organized to be accidental. Too perfect to be natural.”

“So you're saying that someone put in this line of DNA on purpose,” Anders said.

“Mischief,” Walter said, “Arrogance. We don't know. Your friend thinks it might be a code.”

Anders and Angela looked at Diana.

“No, the other one,” Anna said.

“They taught cryptology at the KGB,” Olga said, “I keep assuming it can't be this. That it's too simple to be plain text. But I think it may just be the 'Caesar Shift’."

“What's that?” Anna said.

“It's a simple mono-alphabetic cipher,” Diana said.

“Is it now?” Anna said.

“It's what Julius Caesar used, apparently, to send letters to his friends,” Angela said, “You take one letter and replace it with another, but in alphabetical order.”

“There's a sequence of three letters that appears repeatedly in the parasite's DNA,” Olga said, “It could be CIY or DJX. Or EKY.”

“Or ZFT?” Anders said.

“Yeah, ZFT fits,” Olga said, “What’s that?”

Kurtz’s office - 10:30 AM

“I've been reviewing Agent Caleca’s cases, checking to see if any of them were mishandled, or seeing if any of the cases were left unsolved,” Anders said.

“And?” Kurtz said.

“And one of them that I remember was an operation tracking a group working out of Yangon,” Anders said, “The name on the file, what was written, was the acronym ZFT. That mean something to you?”

Kurtz looked uneasy.

“What?” Anders said.

“A month ago, a man named David Ruprecht Jansen was arrested in Mumbai by United Nations Police on possession of Roman state secrets,” Kurtz said, “His professional background is in deep biotechnology. Notably genetic weaponry. He was a senior fellow at the Bremming Institute for twelve years, then went off the grid. He'd show up now and then, often in the former Occupied Territories and South Asia.”

“So you think he is ZFT?” Anders asid.

“I don’t know,” Kurtz said, “But Leibowitz did. It was one of the reasons he was in Mumbai, investigating Jansen.”

“Meaning that thing…” Anders said.

“May be retribution,” Kurtz said.

“So ZFT, what is it?” Anders said. “Who are they? Another three-letter government agency dedicated to world domination?”

“Agent Humboldt, there is much you have not been made aware of regarding the Pattern,” Kurtz said.

“Well I’m here,” Anders said, “I have time. Are you available? Why don’t you tell me?”

“What we’ve learned so far is the following,” Kurtz said, “There are cells, we don’t know exactly how many. Privately funded with presence on all continents except Antarctica. ZFT is apparently in charge of them.”

“So they’re terrorists,” Anders said.

“Not in the conventional sense,” Kurtz said, “They traffic not in drugs or weapons, but in scientific knowledge, unhindered by ethics regulations and national governments.”

“Meaning what?” Anders said.

“Meaning what happened on Flight 627, or what happened to Agent Leibowitz, these may have been simply proof that a scientific theory or experiment worked,” Kurtz said.

“So that thing we found in Leibowitz could be one of those experiments,” Anders said, “Do you think Jansen will tell us how to remove it?”

“He might, if we were allowed to see him,” Kurtz said, “Indian authorities refused us access.”

“What?” Anders said.

“They’re not giving the Reich access,” Kurtz said.

“And he’s being kept in Mumbai?” Anders said.

“Yeah,” Kurtz said.

“I may be able to get me and Angie in,” Anders said.

“You got superpowers you aren’t telling me about?” Kurtz said.

“How else did you think I survived in my job for so long?” Anders said.

“You’re not really going to India?” Kurtz said.

“I’m really going,” Anders said.

“Let me save you and Hansen the trip, Humboldt,” Kurtz said, “You’re not getting in.”

“I don’t see any other option here, do you?” Anders said. “Leibowitz’s your friend. And Angie promised his wife.”

Walter’s lab - 11:00 AM

Anna rushed into the lab, where Walter, Diana, Olga, and Angela crowded around Michael.

“What’s wrong?” Anna said.

“This may be something of an understatement, but he is not doing well,” Walter said.

“He’s dehydrated,” Angela said, “I’m going to check his IV.”

She walked over to the drip and noticed something inside.

“Uncle Walter, come here,” she said, pointing to a tendril inside the drip, “What’s that?”

“That’s the root,” Walter said.

“Coming up from his arm?” Anna said.

“Into the IV, yes,” Walter said, “This parasite is spreading faster than I thought.”

“How long do you think he’s got?” Diana said.

“Probably a day,” Angela said.

“Maybe,” Walter said.

Angela’s phone rang.

“Hansen,” she said.

“Hey Angie, I think we have a lead,” Anders said, “The bad news is we have to go to India.”

“I don’t think that’s the bad news, Anders,” Angela said, “He’s dying, and I don’t think we can save him.”

“We’re going to make it,” Anders said, “Meet me in the airport.”

Mumbai - February 5, 2009, 5:00 AM Indian Time (3:00 AM Imperial Standard Time)

As soon as Anders and Angela exited into the airport’s main concourse, they noticed a man in a suit waving at them, holding up a sign with Angela’s picture on it. Angela immediately ran over and hugged her brother.

“Look at you, Bill!” she said.

“Well, don’t let the suit throw you,” Bill said.

“I never thought I’d see the day,” Angela said.

“It’s more comfortable than the military uniform,” Bill said.

“Yeah, we were wondering if you could help us?” Anders said.

“I’m not sure I can help you,” Bill said, “I’m needed with the Indian Army. Those Naxalites are raising hell in Bengal.”

“But we’re here already,” Angela said.

“You said you have contacts at the prison,” Anders said.

“I’m in the Sansad Bhawan,” Bill said, “I have contacts everywhere. But you jumped on the plane so fast, and the Bengal situation is escalating so quickly, I didn’t have time to check anything out.”

“Well, what did you find?” Angela said.

“I know the warden,” Bill said, “He wouldn’t agree to anything. He didn’t want me to show up.”

“So what do we do?” Angela said.

“Show up,” Anders said, “That never stopped us before.”

Vigyaan Prison, outside Mumbai - 5:30 AM

“Tenacious as always,” the warden said, “What can I do for you, Bill?”

“Angela Hansen, Anders Humboldt, this is the warden, Nikhil Shah,” Bill said.

“Thank you for seeing us,” Anders said.

“You want time with a prisoner?” Nikhil said.

“David Jansen,” Angela said.

“This will be a problem,” Nikhil said.

“I’m sure we can work something out,” Anders said.

“I’m sorry,” Nikhil said.

“Aisee cheejen hain jo aapake lie kuchh upayog ho sakatee hain aur main in cheejon ke baare mein baat karane ko taiyaar hoon,” Bill said.

“Meree zaroorat ke saath aap meree madad nahin kar sakate,” Nikhil said.

He turned to Angela and Anders. “Your friend wants to be persuasive.”

“Herr Shah, you have your reasons why you won’t allow access to your prisoners, but this is very important to us,” Anders said, “I can sign anything. Udaaharan ke lie kuchh saabit karata hai ki main kabhee yahaan nahin tha.

“I like this guy,” Nikhil said, “Even if I were to give the okay, Jansen talks to no one.”

“Well I have reason to believe he will talk to us,” Angela said, “If I write him a message, will you give it to him?”

Walter’s lab, Strasburg - 3:35 AM (5:35 Indian Time)

“I don’t expect miracles,” Kurtz said, “I don’t know if I expect anything. But I am grateful - for whatever you can do in this case.”

“Sorry?” Walter said.

“He’s saying he’s grateful for your work.” Erich said.

“You’re most welcome,” Walter said, “You know I had a fruit cocktail once. In Rouen. Mind you, I’m not a fruit cocktail sort of guy.”

“Excuse me,” Kurtz said.

While Erich continued chatting with his brother-in-law, Kurtz walked over to Anna.

“We need to discuss your father,” he said.

“Is it the fruit cocktail thing again?” Anna said.

“Yes,” Kurtz said.

“Yeah, he’s been doing that recently,” Anna said, “He’s obsessed about certain foods. It’s weird.”

“We need him to focus,” Kurtz said.

“To focus?” Anna said. “Herr Kurtz, two-thirds of the time, my father’s not even lucid. And in those rare and unpredictable moments of clarity, he rambles on about the food he missed while he was incarcerated in a mental institution for the better part of the last two decades. To say he’s not focused is to say he’s a biped, which is to say, you’re absolutely right. He’s not focused. And also, it’s not going to change anytime too soon. I’m his daughter. I’m not a puppeteer. I’d don’t have a remote control. There’s no master switch I can flick and turn him into the man I wish had raised me, or even somebody I don’t have to baby-sit ever day.… I guess I’ve had that on my mind for awhile.”

“Apparently,” Kurtz said.

His phone rang, and he picked it up.

“Kurtz,” he said.

“It’s Agent Kazdan,” Louise said, “I have something for you.”

“What is it?” Kurtz said.

“Local connection to the ZFT,” Louise said.

“Speak to me,” Kurtz said.

“We analyzed the document Leibowitz brought back from Mumbai,” Louise said, “We figured out each line corresponds to an Athanatoi case file and an ID number for the agent or agents assigned to it. Every one of them originating from this field office.”

“Another mole in this office?” Kurtz said. “And you think what? Agent Caleca? She was working with ZFT?”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Louise said, “Whoever did this needed upper level security clearance. Access to the Athanatoi mainframe.”

“You said local connection?” Kurtz said.

“Yeah, one of the lines is a phone number registered to a Jacob Schmidt, and we have him tied…” Louise said.

“Yeah, I know Jacob Schmidt,” Kurtz said, “Leibowitz was briefing me on him before this! You got an address?”

“Hold on… 4331 Breitstrasse,” Louise said.

“4331 Breitstrasse,” Kurtz said, “Inform Director Hansen. I’ll call you back.”

He picked up his desk phone. “I want a SWAT team surrounding Jacob Schmidt. He’s at 4331 Breitstrasse in Neudorf. And I want this radio silent.”

Vigyaan Prison, Mumbai - 8:45 AM Indian Time (6:45 AM Imperial Standard Time)

Nikhil entered the waiting room and approached Angela, Anders, and Bill.

“I’m surprised,” Nikhil said, “He’ll see you… but only Agent Hansen. You’ll have fourteen minutes this afternoon and not a second more. That is our prison policy. Also, Jansen wanted you to have this. His conditions.”

He handed Angela a note. She read it and handed it to Anders. Anders took out his phone and dialed Anna.

“Hello?” Anna said.

“Hey Anna, it’s me,” Anders said, “I’m looking for Kurtz or Uncle Erich. Are they there?”

“No, they’re on a raid or something,” Anna said.

“Jansen has agreed to meet with Angie,” Anders said, “But only on the condition that he first get to talk to a colleague of his. So we’re looking for a guy local to Strasburg. He’s in Neudorf.”

“He’s in what?” Anna said.

“His name’s Jacob Schmidt,” Anders said.

“At 4331 Breitstrasse,” Anna said.

“How’d you know that?” Anders said.

“That’s who Kurtz is after right now,” Anna said.

“What?” Anders said.

“I don’t know,” Anna said.

“Anna, we need him alive,” Anders said.

“Frak!” Anna grabbed her keys and hung up.

Neudorf, Strasburg - 7:00 AM Imperial Standard Time (9:00 Indian Time)

As Anna drove down the street at over forty miles per hour, her phone rang again.

“Hey,” she said.

“Are you there, are you close?” Angela said.

“No, I’m on my way,” Anna said, “You get in touch with Kurtz or Uncle Erich yet?”

“I can’t reach Dad,” Angela said, “They’re still radio silent. I’ll try the office. I’ll call you back.”

“I know they’re radio silent, but you’ve got to get someone down there right now, please,” Anders said, “We need to get the message to them, they need to keep Jacob Schmidt alive.”

“Damn it,” Anna said.

She stopped the car at the first barricade and ran in the direction of Jacob’s house, which she determined based on the frequency of Athanatoi agents running around.

“You must stand back, ma’am!” an agent said.

“I’ve got information!” Anna said.

“Ma’am, this is a police action,” the agent said.

“I need to talk to Wilhelm Kurtz or Erich Hansen!” Anna said.

“You need to get back,” the agent said, “You are not authorized to get any closer to the house!”

“Come out with your hands up!” another agent said over a bullhorn.

Anna’s phone rang again.

“Hey,” she said.

“Are you close?” Anders said.

“Yeah, I’m here, but I can’t get any closer to the house,” Anna said, “They’re already inside.”

Jacob emerged from the front door, a gun in his hand.

“Freeze!” an agent said. “Athanatoi!”

“Oh, scheiße,” Anna cursed.

“Anna, talk to me,” Anders said.

“Stop or we’ll shoot!” an agent said. “Drop your weapon!”

Instead, though, Jacob pointed his gun at the nearest agent and prepared to fire. The agents immediately shot him in the head.

“No, frak!” Anna cursed.

“1972, during Siam, the Bureau of Defense’s Biochem Division had us working on a biological weapon for a possible use against Chaw Thai,” Walter said, “Derived from XA-1005C, similar to the one you mentioned as being used in 1997. It's possible that whatever affected that plane may have been derived from that work.” AH HA. I knew it was a secret government project.:)

“A while ago, we were investigating a case where an archaeologist had been killed,” Angela said, “It led us to Africa, where we found a bunch of tablets older than human civilization written in an unknown script in a language resembling proto-Indo-European purporting to be a time capsule from a previous human civilization that had been destroyed.” “Short answer, this is another artifact from that civilization,” Anders said. So does this mean that there was an older civilization that existed before humans were believed to have been around on earth or is it just an old African civilization like Egypt or Mali and if so why would it cause trouble for X-Division?

“In the future, there is a war, and we lose!” Joseph said. “Because there was no Sentinel to protect us!” I love the possible hints of the future you are putting in the story.

Also your pictures of the maps under “The World in 2000” aren't showing up anymore as well. They show up as

IMG

IMG

I was also wondering if/when the Capital was/will be moved from Constantinople back to Berlin? I was also curious if/when Berlin was rebuilt if it looked like modern Berlin or the Berlin dreamed up by Albert Speer known as Welthauptstadt Germania? (Some examples are below and were taken from The Man in the High Castle wiki)

2TPWyX9MrYeQ7XpMU16yb5SsMA6ZdiM8fRwLuc7kfs8VuWoxRb5sjauxRjFQq43NJdD0TIqg2Zwy2HfQNDj4jKdfD0myp3dmlH1noyxCwTQnoqr-Xs41okP3Kvn9ejhrNAxVzXUS

aQVMDSdid1mEj-UsD9wSenW-vEc5bml6R7IW3kpvYDlzINFMc5oA6IE4GJyw-QNdH6DJK7nFM63RpkV7_dU6b93p2yK89b_Fx4teW7G8bDsmQ9DFYJq5RrypGXfUkAAVRonycafq

Last edited:
“1972, during Siam, the Bureau of Defense’s Biochem Division had us working on a biological weapon for a possible use against Chaw Thai,” Walter said, “Derived from XA-1005C, similar to the one you mentioned as being used in 1997. It's possible that whatever affected that plane may have been derived from that work.” AH HA. I knew it was a secret government project.:)

“A while ago, we were investigating a case where an archaeologist had been killed,” Angela said, “It led us to Africa, where we found a bunch of tablets older than human civilization written in an unknown script in a language resembling proto-Indo-European purporting to be a time capsule from a previous human civilization that had been destroyed.” “Short answer, this is another artifact from that civilization,” Anders said. So does this mean that there was an older civilization that existed long before humans were believed to have been around on earth or is it just an old African civilization like Egypt or Mali and if so why would it cause trouble for X-Division?

“In the future, there is a war, and we lose!” Joseph said. “Because there was no Sentinel to protect us!” I love the possible hints of the future you are putting in the story.

Also your pictures of the maps under “The World in 2000” aren't showing up anymore as well. They show up as

I was also wondering if/when the Capital was/will be moved from Constantinople back to Berlin? I was also curious if/when Berlin was rebuilt if it looked like modern Berlin or the Berlin dreamed up by Albert Speer known as Welthauptstadt Germania? (Some examples are below and were taken from The Man in the High Castle wiki)

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2TPWyX9MrYeQ7XpMU16yb5SsMA6ZdiM8fRwLuc7kfs8VuWoxRb5sjauxRjFQq43NJdD0TIqg2Zwy2HfQNDj4jKdfD0myp3dmlH1noyxCwTQnoqr-Xs41okP3Kvn9ejhrNAxVzXUS[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/aQVMDSdid1mEj-UsD9wSenW-vEc5bml6R7IW3kpvYDlzINFMc5oA6IE4GJyw-QNdH6DJK7nFM63RpkV7_dU6b93p2yK89b_Fx4teW7G8bDsmQ9DFYJq5RrypGXfUkAAVRonycafq
Ironically, your post is also formatted wrong.:p Your image embed isn't working (although the picture itself shows up fine) and the quotes you did and your comments are kind of hard to tell apart. But it's fine, I think I still understand what you're getting at.

AH HA. I knew it was a secret government project.

I mean, it was quite obvious the original biochemical agent was a secret government project. Doesn't mean this attack was also a secret government project. All I said was derived from that project.;)

So does this mean that there was an older civilization that existed long before humans were believed to have been around on earth or is it just an old African civilization like Egypt or Mali and if so why would it cause trouble for X-Division?

It's the ancient humans, whose advanced civilization predates known history. But as Angela and others have found out, this civilization rose and fell well within the last 1-2 hundred thousand years and is still biologically human. It causes trouble for the X-Division because apparently the conspiracy wants its technology. Never mind they haven't made clear what technology they want or how they're going to get it, as they botched that job terribly (blame Pavel).

I love the possible hints of the future you are putting in the story.

If you look at every arc, you'll notice I've been including the word Sentinel somewhere in the story.:p

I'll check out the pictures on that update and try to get the problem fixed.

I haven't been very clear on this lately, but the transfer of the capital was a gradual process taking place this decade and through the 2010s, with institutions moving offices out of Constantinople and into Berlin. The Kaiser will be moving home shortly, even if the palace isn't completely ready yet.

Berlin would look like modern OTL Berlin. Nazi/Angeloi architecture wouldn't fly well in the modern Reich.

“A while ago, we were investigating a case where an archaeologist had been killed,” Angela said, “It led us to Africa, where we found a bunch of tablets older than human civilization written in an unknown script in a language resembling proto-Indo-European purporting to be a time capsule from a previous human civilization that had been destroyed.” “Short answer, this is another artifact from that civilization,” Anders said. So does this mean that there was an older civilization that existed before humans were believed to have been around on earth or is it just an old African civilization like Egypt or Mali and if so why would it cause trouble for X-Division?

IMG

IMG

2TPWyX9MrYeQ7XpMU16yb5SsMA6ZdiM8fRwLuc7kfs8VuWoxRb5sjauxRjFQq43NJdD0TIqg2Zwy2HfQNDj4jKdfD0myp3dmlH1noyxCwTQnoqr-Xs41okP3Kvn9ejhrNAxVzXUS

aQVMDSdid1mEj-UsD9wSenW-vEc5bml6R7IW3kpvYDlzINFMc5oA6IE4GJyw-QNdH6DJK7nFM63RpkV7_dU6b93p2yK89b_Fx4teW7G8bDsmQ9DFYJq5RrypGXfUkAAVRonycafq
Making this a separate comment for visibility, but I've fixed the images now. Also, your images show up properly now.

Berlin would look like modern OTL Berlin. Nazi/Angeloi architecture wouldn't fly well in the modern Reich.
On that note through, would Soviet era architecture and buildings after WW3? I think like with the architecture of the Rasa and Angeloi I don’t think the Reich would be okay with Soviet brutalist architecture in Russia and the Occupied Territories and seek to remove it but face some opposition to do so on grounds of persevering history, kind of like what’s going on with Confederate statutes in the US now come to think of it.

Also how is Tsargrad and Kiev like architecturally after WW3, both for Tsarist and Soviet era buildings? I imagine that Leningrad and Kiev were pretty much leveled in WW3 to extents that would make Arthur Harris after OTL´s Dresden blush tbh, so a lot of their old city scape like the place where Lenin´ś embalmed corsepe was kept (I´m kind of wondering what happend to it so this is what I imagine), would probably be destroyed. I also imagine alot of Soviet imagery in the Red Square would be demolished for retaliation for the demolition of Roman churches in the Occupied Territories when Kiev was taken, leaving Red Square as a wasteland.

Last edited:
Walter's segments of this reminded me of an episode of House, and I mean that in a good way.

On that note through, would Soviet era architecture and buildings after WW3? I think like with the architecture of the Rasa and Angeloi I don’t think the Reich would be okay with Soviet brutalist architecture in Russia and the Occupied Territories and seek to remove it but face some opposition to do so on grounds of persevering history, kind of like what’s going on with Confederate statutes in the US now come to think of it.
A lot would be torn down immediately after the war, especially those in the former Occupied Territories. A few in Russia might be preserved as museums to Soviet brutalities. Others would be torn down by angry mobs while the government does nothing to stop them.
Also how is Tsargrad and Kiev like architecturally after WW3, both for Tsarist and Soviet era buildings? I imagine that Leningrad and Kiev were pretty much leveled in WW3 to extents that would make Arthur Harris after OTL´s Dresden blush tbh, so a lot of their old city scape like the place where Lenin´ś embalmed corsepe was kept (I´m kind of wondering what happend to it so this is what I imagine), would probably be destroyed. I also imagine alot of Soviet imagery in the Red Square would be demolished for retaliation for the demolition of Roman churches in the Occupied Territories when Kiev was taken, leaving Red Square as a wasteland.
I think I actually had Arthur Harris as an Angeloi air commander.:p

Lenin's embalmed corpse was taken by Chinese soldiers and given to the Vietnamese, who buried it in Lenin's old house in Saigon.

Most of downtown Tsargrad and Kiev were destroyed in the street fighting and aerial bombardment, and Soviet imagery was destroyed in a manner similar to Nazi imagery after WWII. Red Square and the surrounding buildings were bombed to pieces and rebuilt by Tsarist authorities.
Walter's segments of this reminded me of an episode of House, and I mean that in a good way.
It's only going to get weirder.;)

The Parasite, Part 2

7:30 AM Imperial Standard Time

Anna walked over to Erich, who took out a radio as he walked to his car.

“Have the evidence response team catalog and box every item down to the toilet paper off,” Erich said, “Anna. What you doing here?”

“I just got off the phone with Angie and Anders,” Anna said, “Turns out Herr Jansen would only help us if he could talk to Schmidt. The same Schmidt you guys just killed.”

“You’re kidding me,” Erich said.

“That’s the first serious thing I’ve said all day,” Anna said.

Her phone rang again.

“Hello?” she said.

“It’s me,” Diana said, “Your father wants me to inform you there is fluid accumulating in Agent Leibowitz’s lungs. He says we need help quickly.”

“Insert this into his IV, let me talk to him,” Walter said, taking the phone, “Hello Anna, this is me, your father. Walter Humboldt.”

“Thank you Walter,” Anna said, “I know who you are.”

“Excellent,” Walter said, “Um, we need to talk to that man Schmidt right away. He may be our best chance to save Agent Leibowitz’s life.”

“I know that, but he’s dead,” Anna said, “He was shot. We’re out of luck.”

“Well does he still had his head?” Walter said. “Is it still attached to his body?”

“Only you would ask that question,” Anna said, “Yes, of course he still has a head.”

“Splendid,” Walter said, “Then perhaps in this case, death is simply an inconvenience. Bring him in and hurry. Agent Leibowitz’s tissue is already deteriorating at a rapid rate, which makes it exponentially messier.”

Mumbai International Airport - 10:00 AM Indian Time (8:00 AM Imperial Standard Time)

Angela hauled her luggage out of Bill’s car.

“So frakking close!” she cursed, kicking the curb. “Frak!”

“You never did lose well,” Bill said, “What happened, Angie? There’s something that has shifted in you. Something’s happened.”

“Well, a lot has happened,” Angela said, “You know it’s been a strange time.”

“I wasn’t gonna say these words, but here we are,” Bill said, “So I’ll say them. I have become, and I’m not kidding, a spectacular cook. We can spare two rooms.”

“We can’t,” Angela said.

Anders’ phone rang. “Humboldt.”

“Does Jansen know about Schmidt?” Anna said.

“What?” Anders said.

“Does David Jansen know Schmidt’s dead?” Anna said.

“No, why?” Anders said.

“Because if you can still get in to see him, he may not have to,” Anna said.

Walter’s lab - 8:05 AM Imperial Standard Time

Anna hung up just as Diana and Olga rolled in Jacob’s body. Walter smiled and waved them over to an operating table.

“Oh good, uh, bring him down here daughter, quickly,” Walter said, “Get me ice.”

“You already asked,” Diana said.

“And the halo head brace,” Walter said.

“It’s right over there,” Olga said.

“Uh, did I ask—” Walter said.

“—to put salt water in the trough?” Diana said. “Yes.”

“Ninety kilograms, not a drop more,” Walter said, cutting open the body, “He’s been shot dead.”

“Is that a problem?” Anna said.

“Yes, that’s a problem,” Walter said, “Of course it’s a problem! A bullet in the head would normally indicate significant brain trauma.”

“Well it would also indicate he’s outright dead,” Anna said, “But you didn’t seem to have a problem with that.”

“This procedures not like removing tonsils,” Walter said.

“I’ve never had a conversation with a dead guy before,” Anna said, “You should be asking Anders because I’m sure he has experience with that. Forgive me if I don’t know the rules.”

“Is this going to work, or not?” Diana said.

“I’ll need to alter the procedure,” Walter said, “And I’m not making any promises.”

“86 degrees, Dr. Humboldt,” Olga said.

“Good, almost there,” Walter said, “Let me know when it’s exactly 84.5 degrees blue. Your brain is like a computer. Green. Just needs electricity to function, which the body ceases to produce upon death. Which is why we’re keeping his body cold, to retard degeneration.”

He bent over and observed Jacob’s head. “It’s astonishing how this mans scalp resembles…”

“… Anna’s bare bottom when she was a baby,” Diana said.

“How did you know that?” Walter said.

“You told us already, twice,” Diana said.

“Goddamnit, Walter,” Anna said.

“Oh…” Walter said. “What did I say next?”

“That we’re gonna kick start his brain,” Anna said.

“Ah, yes!” Walter said, spreading gel over Jacob’s body. “Excellent. Conductive gel to prevent the electrical current from setting him on fire. Spread it evenly. And don’t forget his nipples.”

“Where did you learn this stuff?” Olga said. “It would’ve been useful for the KGB if we could still interrogate the dead.”

“In ‘75, the Athanatoi asked me to use this procedure,” Walter said, “Someone had been murdered. But I don’t recall his name. Hmm. James, I believe. Or Jimmy. They wanted to identify his assassin. Union leader I think.”

“Jimmy Hoffa?” Anna said.

“Yes,” Walter said, “Well, the – the trouble was, he had a shockingly low electro-sensitivity. When I turned on the machine, it instantly fried is brain like an egg. Everyone has the unique tolerance to electrical stimulation. Mine for instance, is remarkably high. Yours, Anna, unusually low. As for our friend here, we don’t know. Too little current and won’t work. Too much, and we will overcook his brain - so I will have…”

“You used to do this to me,” Anna said, “You attached wires to car batteries and then you would shock me.”

“Yes, I was accumulating data,” Walter said.

“No, you were experimenting on me!” Anna said.

“Daughter, we’re ready,” Walter said, putting a large device on Jacob’s head, “First we must test if this will register brain activity. And this will indicate if he’s transmitting any thoughts to you. Since he’s dead, Anna, you’ll obviously have to be his ears and mouth. Eventually, we’ll connect this to your head. Okay, we’re ready. Turn it on. Try two hundred micro-volts!”

Diana flipped the switch, and bulbs exploded. Jacob’s body convulsed with electricity.

“Does the desire to electrocute cadavers run in the family?” she muttered.

“Oh look Anna, he’s talking to you,” Walter said.

More bulbs exploded.

“I suppose it’s a good thing it wasn’t attached to your head,” Walter said.

Mumbai - 10:10 AM Indian Time (8:10 AM Imperial Standard Time)

Anders’ phone rang.

“Humboldt,” he said.

“Hey, you’re not gonna believe this ‘cause I’m not really sure I do,” Anna said, “But I think this might actually work.”

“Walter figured it out?” Anders said. “What the frak did he do to you?”

“Well, there are limits,” Anna said, “Some issues and problems. But Walter seems to think we can get the dead guy to answer some questions.”

“Then we’re on,” Anders said, “I’ll call you from the prison at about 3:00 local time.”

“You okay?” Anna said.

“I’m good, sis,” Anders said, “You know it’s weird how you’re asking me that.”

“Why?” Anna said.

“I’ve always been wanting to ask you or Annie that,” Anders said, “And I never got the chance. I’ve only heard Angie ask me.”

1:00 PM

Diana helped Anna strap into a chair and attach electrodes to her head.

“Do you hear anything?” Diana said.

“I think we gotta ask him a question first,” Anna said.

“Of course,” Diana said.

Olga paced around the back of the lab. “How the yebat did we get from treating a parasite to electrocuting Anna?”

“Are we ready to see how this is working?” Walter said.

Anna nodded reluctantly.

“When I say go, you, Dienstag, will ask Anna a question,” Walter said, “I will flip the switch, which will stimulate our friend’s brain, and Anna, you will hear his response. Any questions?”

“Uh, yeah, what should I ask him?” Diana said.

“Anything you like,” Walter said, “It’s a dry run, and daughter, I should apologize in advance. I’m afraid this… Well, I shouldn’t frighten you.”

“No… wouldn’t want to do that,” Anna said.

“Three two one go!” Walter quickly shouted, rotating a dial.

“What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?” Diana said.

“AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!” Anna screamed in pain.

“Anything?” Walter said.

“Did I hear anything other than my own agony?” Anna said. “No.”

“Three two one go!” Walter shouted again, dialing back the intensity.

“What’s your favorite color?” Diana said.

“AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!” Anna screamed again.

“Anything?” Walter said.

“Nope, still nothing,” Anna said, “Just extreme discomfort.”

Diana answered her phone. “Hello?”

“They’re taking Angie to see Jansen now,” Anders said.

“It’s Anders,” Diana said to the others, “They’re taking Angie in.”

“No,” Walter said, “We’re not ready yet.”

“No, no, no, tell her she has to stall,” Olga said.

“Did you hear that?” Diana said.

Angela took the phone. “I’ll do what I can, but I’ve only got fourteen minutes starting now.”

Vigyaan Prison, Mumbai

Nikhil looked at his watch. “Fourteen minutes.”

“Good luck,” Anders said.

He opened the door, and Angela stepped into a small cell. Sitting on the floor was a middle-aged slightly tanned balding man with a small beard. For a man wanted for selling state secrets and building suspected weapons of mass destruction, he looked nothing like Zolton Huicton. David noticed her and smiled.

“What a pleasure this is,” he said with a Neurhomanian accent.

“We have your Herr Schmidt in custody,” Angela said, “You will not speak with him directly. You will ask me one question that you want answered. I will relay that question to an agent back in the Reich who will talk to Herr Schmidt. I will then relay Herr Schmidt’s response to you. Then you will tell me how to save Agent Leibowitz. That is how it works.”

“You’re very serious, you know that?” David said, not the least bit frightened. “Your friend’s life hangs in the balance. That’s it? You want me to save him. I gathered as much from your note.”

“Tell me something,” Angela said, “Why not your freedom, or extradition? You must realize that you have leverage here. Yet all you want is the answer to one question?”

“You make two assumptions, Frau Hansen, both incorrect,” David said, “The first is that there is nothing more valuable than my freedom. The second is that I am responsible for the infection of Agent Leibowitz.”

Walter’s lab

“Hello, Gene,” Walter said, patting the cow, “Shhh... Not a word.”

He walked over to Anna. “I think I know your problem. You think too much. It’s a family curse. Your own brain function is interfering with the process. You need to be a passive receiver. This is a sedative. It will numb your higher brain function. I’ve mixed it with a euphoria inhibitor, which will clear the high from your system in a matter of minutes.”

“Wait, what?” Anna said.

Walter turned to Diana and handed her a syringe. “If I tell you to, stab this in her chest beneath the breast bone.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Anna said, “What is that?”

“Adrenaline,” Walter said.

“Why Walter?” Anna said. “Are you planning on stopping my heart? Walter, what the frak are you giving me?”

“Nothing for you to worry about,” Walter said, “Perfectly harmless.”

“Anna, sis, I’m sorry,” Diana said, raising the syringe, “Blame your brother for it.”

Erich and Samantha burst into the lab just as Diana stabbed Anna with the syringe.

“What the frak is going on in here, Walter?” Erich said.

“Michael!” Samantha said, running over to Michael.

Mumbai

“If you’re not responsible for infecting Agent Leibowitz, who is?” Angela said.

“Perhaps the same people responsible for bringing us together,” David said, “What if someone wanted information from the both of us? You see? Perhaps they’ve orchestrated all of this. What if you and I, both of us, at this very moment, were being manipulated.”

“By whom?” Angela said. “And what would they want?”

“There are very few things in life that surprise me anymore, Frau Hansen,” David said, “And yet, I confess, I am confused. If it is so urgent to save the life of your friend, why haven’t we gotten on with it?”

Walter’s lab

“Anna, can you hear me?” Walter said, waving his hand in front of Anna’s eyes.

“This can’t possibly be scientific,” Erich said.

“Get in line,” Olga said, still standing in the back.

“Anna, look at me,” Walter said.

Anna weakly opened her eyes. “Daddy?”

“Hmmm,” Walter said, “I think we’re ready.”

Diana picked up her phone and dialed Angela.

“Hello?” Angela said.

“Go, quickly,” Diana said.

Mumbai

Angela looked at David. “Go ahead. Ask your question.”

“Asked my friend Jacob, where does the gentleman live?” David said.

“Herr Jansen would like to know where does the gentleman live?” Angela repeated for Diana.

Walter’s lab

“Oh god,” Samantha said, “What is it?”

“Parasite in his bloodstream choking him of oxygen,” Walter said, “Diamant, nitroglycerine in a vial on the desk.”

“Wait a minute,” Samantha said, “I don’t understand. A parasite?”

“Could you give us some room, please?” Walter said.

“I’ll call you back,” Diana said, hanging up.

“C’mon, let them do their job,” Erich said, leading Samantha away.

Mumbai

“Is there a problem?” David said.

“My phone doesn’t get the best reception in prison isolation cells,” Angela said.

“You do have Herr Schmidt, do you not?” David said.

“I’m curious, why do you think he would cooperate with you after you had him arrested?” Angela said.

“Oh, the people I work with are loyal to the end,” David said, “Can you say the same?”

Angela’s phone rang. “Hello?”

“Okay, we’re trying again,” Diana said.

“Three, two, one… Go!” Walter said, turning the dial.

“Where does the gentleman live?” Diana said. “Did you hear anything?”

“No,” Anna said, “No.”

“We’re going to have to increase the voltage… I’m sorry daughter,” Walter said, turning up the voltage again, “Three, two, one… Go!”

Anna cursed in pain.

“Where does the gentleman live?” Diana asked again.

“Uh – Uh, nothing, no,” Anna said.

“Di, I need the answer now,” Angela said.

“Angie, it’s not working,” Diana said.

“Wait, I need some paper, paper, give me some paper, quick, quick!” Anna blurted out. “I’m seeing something.”

“Wait, hold on,” Diana said.

“Untie my hand,” Anna said, “Quickly!”

Diana handed her a notebook and pencil, on which Anna drew several vertical lines.

“What is that?” Diana said.

“I have no idea,” Anna said.

Diana handed the notebook to Olga.

“That a code or something?” Diana said.

“You’re kidding me,” Olga said, “How the yebat can that be a bloody code?”

Mumbai

“I need the answer now,” Angela said.

“We don’t have it yet,” Diana said, “I don’t think it’s working,”

“Walter, what is this?” Anna said.

“How do I know?” Walter said. “You saw it, not me.”

“He seems rather irritated with you,” David said.

“Di, please,” Angela said, “I have no time.”

“I know,” Diana said, “You have to hold on. I’m sorry.”

“Walter, what is it?” Anna said. “Do you see it? It’s there… there’s just something missing.”

“Obviously, horizontal lines,” Walter said, “There’s literature on this. Misrepresentation of horizontal space and unilateral brain damage.”

“Tick-tock - tick-tock - tick-tock,” David said, mockingly.

“Di, please hurry!” Angela said.

“I, I don’t understand,” Anna said.

“It’s just a conjecture,” Walter said, “But the bullet may have destroyed that part of the brain that helps process horizontal lines. We are going to have to fill in the blanks.”

Nikhil entered the room. “Time.”

“God, Di, I have no time,” Angela said, “I need the answer now, Di! Please.”

Nikhil grabbed Angela and started dragging her out of the room.

“Hugelchen,” Anna said.

“Hugelchen?” Diana said.

“Hugelchen!” Angela shouted.

David smiled. “Three parts Mebendazole. Two parts Thermophilic-Hydrolase. A syringe directly into the parasite.”

Strasburg General Hospital - 8:00 PM

Kurtz sat next to Michael, who lay in bed recovering.

“Michael, I understand that you’re feeling far from one hundred percent,” Kurtz said, “But while you were unconscious, we made a discovery. That an organization with connections to the Pattern may have someone working with us, on the inside.”

“Agent Caleca,” Michael said.

“That was our first thought, but he or she would have needed higher clearance than Caleca had,” Kurtz said, “We thought that perhaps you were talking to them because you might have discovered who that person was.”

“Caleca’s the only one I know of,” Michael said, “You’re making me paranoid.”

“All I want to do is make you better,” Kurtz said, “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Alright,” Michael said.

Kurtz left the room and met Angela and Anders in the hallway.

“How is he?” Angela said.

“You did well,” Kurtz said, “You and the other doctors removed that thing from his chest. Walter made sure he saved it for him.”

“I bet he did,” Anders said, “But what about answers? The question Jansen asked Smith. And the response he got, Hugelchen? We know Agent Leibowitz was infected, but we don’t know by whom. Jansen says it wasn’t him. We don’t know anything, like Sentinel.”

“You have a problem, Agent Humboldt,” Kurtz said, “You’re not easily satisfied, you want everything, and you want it now. In your mind, somehow a small victory is no victory. What you did was save a man’s life, but that doesn’t land for you.”

“Sir…” Anders began.

“I would tell you to ‘snap the hell out of it’,” Kurtz said, “To stop whining about what you can’t know, can’t control, can’t change. I would tell you to get some sleep while you can because tomorrow, we’ll do this all over again, and guess what, you’ll have a million new answers and a million and one new questions. I would tell you those things, but I won’t, because your dissatisfaction is what makes you so damn good. Someone I’m proud to say I work with, despite our past.”

“Uh, thanks,” Anders said.

“Now go get some sleep while you can,” Kurtz said.

Angela and Anders walked away and met Anna, Diana, and Olga in the lobby.

“Hey, how you feeling?” Diana said.

“I should be asking you that,” Anders said, “Thank you.”

“Thank you,” Angela said.

“You hungry?” Olga said.

“After everything I saw today… no, not at all,” Anna said, “But I am thirsty. Really thirsty.”

“Me too,” Olga said, “I’m up for some beer.”

“Let’s get going, then,” Anders said.

They left, and Samantha walked into Michael’s hospital room.

“They’re gone,” she said.

“So… did it work?” Michael said. “What we did?”

“Yes,” Samantha said, “It led them back to Herr Jansen.”

“Did he ask the question?” Michael said. “Did we get the answer?”

“Hugelchen,” Samantha said.

Snap! I can admit, didn't see that ending coming.

Yes the maps are fixed now. Whats even better is they can zoom out now. Thank you.
Yeah, the old maps were just copy-pasted from my Dropbox's photo viewer, because I couldn't even embed the links. But now everything seems to be working perfectly, so I could just upload the original screenshots normally again.

I think I actually had Arthur Harris as an Angeloi air commander.:p
Actually, he was a loyalist air commander and worked along side Franco during bombing operations against the Angeloi in WW2. I suggest looking at Chapter 372 for more information about that. Through I do imagine that Harris probably would’ve been sacked after the war due to his bombing of Angeloi cities which, you have to remember, were also Roman cities. I don’t think Harris would’ve been that popular in the war, I guess it’s kind of a situation to what the Union Army did in Alanta during Sherman’s March to the Sea if that’s a good comparison.

I’m wondering what is the situation in the Yucatán and Gutalmeala now and how is the Mayan intergration of them going? I imagine that the native Maya welcome Mayapan very much but Mayapan might have trouble with the Mexicans living there, maybe in a situation similar to the Palestian/Israeli conflict ethically.

I wonder how much influnce the Norse faith still has from Islam at this point. I remember the Norse praying towards their holy city in Uppland I beliveve (I don´t really remmber what their holy city is at the moment but I think its Uppland or Upsula) in manner similar to how Muslims pray to Mecca so I´m wondering how that city is? I imagine the Muslim influnces would be most prevalent with the Andalusian Norse as a result of the previous Islamic rule over Hispaina prior to the Norse and Normons. I´m also wondering if the Norse have any particular temple of relgious structure of importance to them, like with Muslims with the Kaaba?

What is Norse culture like nowadays after 80 years of division and Slavic, Mongol and Eimerican influnces finding their way into Scadniavia as a result of the exiled monarchies of Russia, Kanata, and Yavadi forming governments there, making Scandinavia revalivitlely multicultural. I also imagine regional dialects of Norse also forming in the terroties of Norway, Danmark, Sweden and Finland as a result of influence of the langauges of the Exile goverments of the Tsarist Russia and Yavadi monarchies and the Eimerican influenced Norse dialects of Kanata. I am wondering how much of the Germanic cultural similarities does Norse have with Roman culture as well since techinally they do share the same linguistic ancestry as the Romans?

Snap! I can admit, didn't see that ending coming.
I´m sorry (for using this meme on you) little (Anguished) one.:(

proceeds to throw you off a ledge

At the very least, lets hope TTL´s Merkel doesn´t go full Thanos on memes like OTL (through I find it ironic how Article 13 banning memes is a meme.):D :eek: Then again, the Reich might have to look out for its net neutrality as well.:eek:

Last edited:
Actually, he was a loyalist air commander and worked along side Franco during bombing operations against the Angeloi in WW2. I suggest looking at Chapter 372 for more information about that. Through I do imagine that Harris probably would’ve been sacked after the war due to his bombing of Angeloi cities which, you have to remember, were also Roman cities. I don’t think Harris would’ve been that popular in the war, I guess it’s kind of a situation to what the Union Army did in Alanta during Sherman’s March to the Sea if that’s a good comparison.
Now that you remind me, Harris wasn't really that popular. He was a little too trigger-happy for the Loyalists, so he probably was sacked after the war.
I’m wondering what is the situation in the Yucatán and Gutalmeala now and how is the Mayan intergration of them going? I imagine that the native Maya welcome Mayapan very much but Mayapan might have trouble with the Mexicans living there, maybe in a situation similar to the Palestian/Israeli conflict ethically.
Oh, there are plenty of conflicts in the Yucatan. Some Mayans welcome Mayapan as liberators, while others (those who adopted Mexicayaotl) see them as occupiers and local ethnic groups and the Nahua see them as enemy invaders. Many terrorist organizations hide in the jungles and launch attacks against the Mayans and Romans from there. Basically a combination of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and Afghanistan.
I wonder how much influnce the Norse faith still has from Islam at this point. I remember the Norse praying towards their holy city in Uppland I beliveve (I don´t really remmber what their holy city is at the moment but I think its Uppland or Upsula) in manner similar to how Muslims pray to Mecca so I´m wondering how that city is? I imagine the Muslim influnces would be most prevalent with the Andalusian Norse as a result of the previous Islamic rule over Hispaina prior to the Norse and Normons. I´m also wondering if the Norse have any particular temple of relgious structure of importance to them, like with Muslims with the Kaaba?
The Norse still pray toward Uppsala and its temple, which is still around. It's a relatively small town but it's been growing lately due to the establishment of a secular university.
What is Norse culture like nowadays after 80 years of division and Slavic, Mongol and Eimerican influnces finding their way into Scadniavia as a result of the exiled monarchies of Russia, Kanata, and Yavadi forming governments there, making Scandinavia revalivitlely multicultural. I also imagine regional dialects of Norse also forming in the terroties of Norway, Danmark, Sweden and Finland as a result of influence of the langauges of the Exile goverments of the Tsarist Russia and Yavadi monarchies and the Eimerican influenced Norse dialects of Kanata. I am wondering how much of the Germanic cultural similarities does Norse have with Roman culture as well since techinally they do share the same linguistic ancestry as the Romans?
Regional dialects are a fact of life now. While they are mutually intelligible, they have some slight differences in spelling and significant differences in slang and idioms. And each of the four areas (counting Denmark) have their own cultural traditions as a result of the occupation. The Scandinavian Danes have adopted many elements of German/Roman culture but integrated them into their own culture.
At the very least, lets hope TTL´s Merkel doesn´t go full Thanos on memes like OTL (through I find it ironic how Article 13 banning memes is a meme.):D:eek:
That was a weird meme. I didn't really understand it at all (although I do know why it existed). Felt like it just came out of nowhere and then disappeared again.

That being said, Roman Merkel will be quite different from real life Merkel, as she will be facing a whole lot of different and similar issues.

Red Castle, Part 1

Autobahn 12, outside Colmar - February 13, 2009, 9:00 PM

Jeremy drove down the highway. His wipers were on, regularly clearing away the heavy rain from his windshield. He looked back and saw his son Ben writing again in his notebook.

“Are those notes you're writing, Ben?” Jeremy said. “I thought we talked about this. You know about taking a break from the music so you'd have time for other things. Maybe something new.”

“Dad, don't get mad at me, but the windshield wipers, can you slow them down?” Ben said.

“Slow them down?” Jeremy said.

“The tempo,” Ben said, “It's messing me up.”

“Sorry Ben, I can’t,” Jeremy said, “I need to be able to see.”

He saw a woman stranded on the side of the road next to a car with its hood open. She flagged him down, and he stopped.

“What is it?” Ben said.

“Don't know,” Jeremy said, “Let's see.”

He got out and approached the woman. “You okay?”

“Oh I'm fine,” the woman said, “I can't say the same for my car. It shuddered and then stopped. And my phone's dead.”

“Oh hold on,” Jeremy said, taking out his phone.

“Thank you,” the woman said.

“Of course,” Jeremy said, “It’s not a night you wanna get stuck out here.”

“Yeah I need a tow,” the woman said.

“I'm on Autobahn 12 about two miles south of Kintzheim,” Jeremy said on his phone, “Yeah, Lothringen plate, [REDACTED].”

He turned to the woman. “Ah, they're busy. It's gonna be a while.”

“Then I definitely am not gonna make it to this business meeting, which would normally be a blessing but this one's really important,” the woman said.

“Listen, I-I don’t know much about cars,” Jeremy said, “But why don't you let me take a look?”

“No no you've done enough,” the woman said, “That's alright.”

Jeremy walked over to the open hood and looked inside at the engine.

“Transmission's dry,” he said, “An electrical short or something.”

He noticed several flashing lights on top of the engine. There were four lights, the first three green and the last red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red.

A tow-truck driver tapped him on the shoulder, and he recoiled violently.

“Hey easy,” he said, “Didn't mean to scare you.”

“It's okay,” Jeremy said, “I didn't hear you.”

He looked around, but the road was completely empty. The woman’s car was gone, along with Ben.

“Yeah listen sorry it took so long,” the driver said, “Man you okay?”

“What the frak?” Jeremy said.

Strasburg field office - February 14, 2009, 8:00 AM

“The boy's name is Ben Stein,” Erich said, “According to his father, they were driving home to Kintzheim from a school function last night when he saw a woman having car trouble. The father claims that while he was looking at the woman's car something happened. He said it was like time jumped. And his son, the woman, and her car were suddenly gone.”

“So he just blacked out?” Anders said.

“In the statement he gave police he insisted he never lost consciousness,” Erich said.

“So any other witnesses to back up the dad's story?” Angela said.

“No, but this is not the first time this has happened,” Kurtz said, handing out files, “These are from the files of three other missing person cases dating back ten years. In each one witnesses describe seeing the same woman. We've tried running facial recognition software. Nothing.”

“Gee, I wonder if shutting down the X-Division was such a good idea…” Erich said.

“So what happened to the other victims?” Anders said.

“The first was found wandering the shoulder of Autobahn 91 near Karlsruhe,” Kurtz said, “The second in the supermarket curled up in the freezer bin.”

“Meaning what?” Olga said. “They were let go?”

“Apparently,” Kurtz said, “But not before whatever'd been done to them drove them insane. Two weeks after she was found one of the victims tried to lobotomize herself with a butter knife. And all of them completely incapable of recalling what happened during the abduction. Even under hypnosis, in case you were wondering, Agent Humboldt.”

Angela looked through the files. “So they're all academics. A probability theorist, structural engineer... If we're looking at a serial abduction, then a ten-year-old kid doesn't fit the bill.”

“No, but other than that the details surrounding his disappearance are identical to the others,” Erich said, “Interacting with the woman in the sketch, then experiencing an interval of lost time.”

“Peculiar flashing lights,” Walter said, “Green, green, green, red. Like Christmas lights.”

“How did you know that, Walter?” Erich said.

“I don't know,” Walter said, “But that's what happened, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Erich said.

“Think you might be able to jog your mind Walter?” Anna said. “Could be kind of helpful.”

“Christmas lights,” Walter said, “That's all I can recall. Sorry.”

Jeremy’s house, Kintzheim - 10:00 AM

“I know what it sounds like, like I'm crazy,” Jeremy said, “But I'm not. I talked to her. I touched her car.”

“The police grilled my brother for hours,” Maria Stein said, “They treated him like a suspect.”

“I know what I saw,” Jeremy said, “She was real.”

“Why doesn't anyone believe him?” Maria said.

“You're wasting time,” Jeremy said, “We need to find Ben.”

“Whoa, slow down,” Angela said, “Anders?”

“Yeah, I believe you,” Anders said, “In fact we think that the same woman may be involved in a number of other abductions. This has happened before.”

“Why would anyone want to take my son?” Jeremy said.

“I don't know,” Angela said, “Honestly, he doesn't really fit the profile of the other victims. For one, they were all adults. And another, they were all academics - experts in various fields.”

“What?” Jeremy said. “Ben is kind of an expert himself.”

“What do you mean?” Diana said.

“Nine months ago, my wife was walking Ben to school,” Jeremy said, “Some idiot late for a dentist appointment ran a red light. And they were hit in the crosswalk. Abby was killed. The doctors told me they didn't know if Ben was gonna make it either. He was in a coma for six days. And when he woke up... it's easier if I just show you.”

He put a CD into the TV and started a recording of Ben playing the piano.

“This is the day I took him home from the hospital,” he said, “He hadn't spoken, said even a word since I told him his mother died... and we got home, and he just sat down at the piano and started to play.”

“He's very talented,” Angela said.

“Before this, he had never taken a single lesson,” Jeremy said, “His doctors told me there had been other cases, people with severe brain traumas waking up with the ability to do things they'd never done before. Two weeks later, he was composing his own music. One piece in particular. He stopped being interested in everything else.”

“You said the other people that had been taken were accomplished at something,” Maria said, “Do you think that that's why they took Ben?”

“We don’t know,” Diana said.

Unknown

Ben sat in the corner of a room as the woman walked in.

“How are you feeling Ben?” she asked.

“I wanna go home,” Ben said, “I just wanna see my dad.”

“Oh, well I have something better for you,” the woman said, “There's someone else here who would very much like to see you.”

“I don't care!” Ben said. “I wanna see my dad!”

“Well your mother will be very disappointed to hear that,” the woman said.

“My mom's dead,” Ben said.

“Are you sure about that?” the woman said.

Abby Stein walked into the room.

“Hi Ben,” she said.

“Mom?” Ben said. “How is this possible? Are we in heaven?”

“No, honey, we're not in heaven,” Abby said.

“But I don't understand,” Ben said, “I saw you get hurt.”

“I don't understand either,” Abby said, “But I do know I'm here. And I've missed you so much, Ben. For me to stay you have to do what this woman says. You have to finish the song, Ben. You need to finish it. It's important, Ben.”

Walter’s lab - 10:00 AM

Walter sang a Christmas tune under his breath.

“Hey, Walter,” Anna said, walking over, “Don't you think it's a little late for the yuletide cheer?”

“I'm reciting Christmas carols in an attempt to jar loose some details from my subconscious to remember where I heard mention of the green and red lights,” Walter said, “But sadly it hasn't yet worked.”

“So you thought it would be more useful to work on your Christmas tree decorations?” Anna said.

“Though I, I cannot recall where I heard of the lights, it did give me an idea, a theory as to how the boy was taken,” Walter said, “I was hired to design a technology, an intricate pattern of flashing lights intended to create a suggestible state of hypnosis. Theoretically the test subjects will do whatever commanded. Bark like a dog, dance a jig, wash the car.”

“The government had you working on mind control?” Anna said. “You sound just like Anders.”

“Not the government,” Walter said, “It was an advertising agency. They hoped to broadcast the flashing lights during commercials so viewers would have no choice but to buy their products. Unfortunately, it merely caused nausea and epilepsy. Which was unfortunate because apparently, people don't like to shop when they feel like they're going to throw up.”

He turned to Olga. “Frau! Where is the remote?”

“What am I, a servant now?” Olga complained.

“Oh, hey, Walter,” Anna said, handing him the remote, “Walter, dial it down a notch alright?”

“I posit the flashing lights witnessed by the father induced a hypnagogic trance during which stage the child was abducted,” Walter said.

“I thought you said the experiments were failures,” Anna said.

“Oh yes,” Walter said, “But I focused solely on the timing and intensity of the flashes not the colors - the green and red. Now I suggest the combination of those specific wavelengths in that order are the key to success. Come. Let me demonstrate. Come.”

He set up four Christmas lights in front of Anna.

“What do you want me to do?” Anna said.

“Just stare at the lights,” Walter said.

Anna stared at the light as they flashed green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red.

“Sorry Walter,” Anna said, “Better luck next time.”

Olga walked into the lab and put down some brown bags.

“Anyone ready for lunch?” she said. “What's up, Chachi?”

Anna looked down and saw she had cut off her sleeves.

“What the frak?” she said. “Walter, did you do this to me?”

“No, you did,” Walter said.

Downtown Strasburg - 12:00 PM

As Angela drove down the highway, her phone rang. Back in the day, she would’ve just picked up the phone and kept driving while she talked, but that was now illegal. Instead, she’d installed one of those new hands-free systems in the Impala, so she could talk without picking it up. She wished she’d had that back in 1992.

“Hansen,” she said.

“It's me,” Louise said, “Based on the description by the father, I ID'd your kidnapper. Name is Joan Ostler. She was a neurologist at LIT. She would have been thirty this March.”

“What do you mean, would have been?” Anders said.

“Uh, according to BMV Department of Records, Joan Ostler died ten years ago,” Louise said.

“Are you sure it's the same woman?” Diana said.

“Looks identical to the woman from your sketch, and she doesn't have a twin because I checked,” Louise said.

“So what happened to her?” Angela said.

“Apparently, her car went off a bridge in November of ’98,” Louise said, “Eight months before any of the abductions.”

“How is that even possible?” Angela said.

“Here's the thing,” Louise said, “The car was recovered but her body was never found.”

“So then it's possible that she survived,” Anders said.

“Either that or Kurtz has you chasing a ghost,” Louise said.

Walter’s lab - 12:10 PM

Angela, Anders, and Diana walked into the lab and watched Walter humming Christmas tunes.

“Hey,” Anders said, “What the hell is he doing?”

“Beats me,” Olga said, “I got back from lunch and found Anna cutting off her sleeves.”

“Not the strangest thing I’ve seen,” Diana said.

“He thinks it'll help him remember where he's heard about the red and green lights,” Anna said.

“Okay,” Angela said, “We've got good news. We think we understand how Ben was abducted.”

“Those red and green flashing lights,” Anders said, “They put the father into a hypnagogic state. And we think we may have ID'd the woman responsible.”

“I have it!” Walter said. “Christmas. Christmas. Leading to Christmas carols. One of which is Jingle Bells, which leads naturally to Dashing Through The Snow. Which of course inevitably leads one to Schluss.”

“Schluss?” Anna said.

“Daniel Schluss,” Walter said, “The man who mentioned the lights to me. I'm sure of it.”

“Where is he, Walter?” Anders said. “Can we talk to him?”

“I guess that would depend on whether he has succeeded in killing himself or not,” Walter said.

“What are you talking about, Walter?” Anna said. “Who is this guy?”

“A fellow inmate of mine at St. Clara’s asylum,” Walter said.

Erich’s new office

“I think we may have ID'd another abductee,” Angela said, “Daniel Schluss. Headed up Astrophysics at U Loth. Went missing in May 2006. Turned up a week later at his home outside Rhinau where he had a psychotic break. Bludgeoned his wife to death with a tire iron. He was committed to St. Clara’s hospital.”

“He was there at the same time as Dr. Humboldt?” Erich said.

“Walter claims he remembers Schluss telling him a story about a woman who put him to sleep with a Christmas tree and then took him away,” Anders said.

“Green and red lights,” Erich said.

“And he fits the profile,” Anders said, “Expert in a scientific field. But I need you to get an interview request pushed through legal so we can arrange a visitation. Any specific things that Schluss might remember about the abduction, like where he was taken maybe.”

“That might take some time,’ Erich said.

“How come?” Angela said.

“Says here Schluss is 10-27,” Erich said, “Criminally insane with knowledge of state secrets. Apparently he had a sideline consulting the Defense Contract for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. You can't get in to talk to him without official clearance.”

“And how long will that take?” Angela said.

“If we go through channels, six weeks minimum,” Erich said, “I've got a contact at Justice. I'll tell him it's urgent. I don't know how a guy that could do this to his own wife will help you find a missing kid.”

Walter’s lab - 1:00 PM

“He did this to his own wife?” Olga said.

“32 years of marriage,” Anders said, “By all accounts they seemed happy... until Daniel showed up after he was abducted and beat her to death.”

“Reminds me a lot of Agent Markov,” Olga said, “Only he died.”

“Did I hear mention of my old friend Daniel?” Walter said, picking up a photo, “Of course, I'd recognize his handiwork anywhere.”

“You mean he killed others?” Diana said.

“Well he tried, a patient at the institution, Gaspar, but actually I was referring to the equation,” Walter said, “Daniel was obsessed with it.”

The photo in his hands was of a room in Daniel’s house. The walls were covered in numbers and mathematical symbols.

“Obsessed in what way?” Diana said.

“He couldn't complete it,” Walter said, “I tried to help him solve it once and he came at me with a plastic spork.”

Anna looked over and saw Angela watching a recording of Ben at a piano on the TV.

“What are you thinking?” Anna said.

“You know, Ben's father said Ben became obsessed with this one piece of music and he couldn't complete it either,” Angela said.

“I've been listening to it,” Walter said, “It's very beautiful. He's light years ahead of where even you were at that age.”

“Walter, take a look at this,” Anders said, pointing on the photo, “See this function? It appears here... here... here - it just keeps on repeating over and over.”

“Yes, yes it's a recurring expression,” Walter said.

“Or it's a rhythm,” Anders said.

“Well yes I suppose,” Walter said, “Are you suggesting—"

“Can you convert that into standard musical notation?” Anders said.

“Oh-oh-oh I can try,” Walter said.

“What's going on?” Angela said.

“Music is a mathematical language,” Anna said, “Chords have numerical values and their notes - 1/4s 1/8s 1/16s - they're all just fraction variables.”

“Exactly,” Anders said, scribbling in his notebook.

“Okay I took the oboe for six months and then quit,” Diana said.

“They don’t teach you this at the KGB,” Olga said.

“Well, what do they teach there?” Anna said.

“Ballet,” Olga said, “I hated it.”

Anders finished converting the equation to musical notation and ran it through his computer. Music played from the speakers.

“Sound familiar?” he said.

“That’s Ben’s piece,” Angela said.

“Yes,” Walter said, “Ben's piece is the musical equivalent of Daniel’s mathematical formula.”

“So how is that possible?” Angela said. “They'd never even met each other.”

“It's not so surprising actually,” Walter said, “Curious minds often converge on the same idea. Newton and Leibniz independently, without knowing each other, invented calculus. The relevant question is what is it?”

“What is what?” Anna said.

“What is it both Ben and Daniel are trying to solve?” Anders said.

St. Clara’s - 2:00 PM

Angela and Anders walked into Dr. Somer’s office.

“Hello,” Somer said.

“Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with us,” Angela said.

“I understand you're interested in talking to one of my patients, although I - I can't imagine what help Daniel Schluss could be to the Athanatoi,” Somer said.

“We're investigating a missing persons case, a kidnapping, and we believe that before coming here Herr Scluss may have been the victim of an abduction himself, possibly by the same person that we're looking for,” Anders said.

“I suppose you got this information through a former patient of mine, Dr. Walter Humboldt?” Somer said. “You’re the agent who took him last month, aren't you, Agent Hansen?”

“Yes, and you should know Dr. Humboldt is doing quite well,” Angela said, “He's been assisting us since he checked out.”

“He has no business being out among the rest of us,” Somer said.

“Well, I appreciate your concern but we’re not here to talk about my father,” Anders said.

“I respect your discretion, provided you respect mine,” Somer said, “The mental health of my patients is my primary concern and subjecting them to open-ended interrogations by Athanatoi agents is hardly prudent therapy. I appreciate your position. And I'd like to help, but I can't subject Daniel to new faces right now.”

“We’re here because a child's life may be in danger,” Angela said.

“There may be a way we can work this out,” Somer said.

“I'm listening,” Angela said.

“You've assured me Walter Humboldt is doing fine,” Somer said, “If that's the case, I'll allow Walter Humboldt to talk to Herr Schluss and ask your questions. It might do Daniel good to see a familiar face.”

Walter’s lab

“Angie, Anders, there is nothing to discuss,” Anna said.

“But it's the only way we can make contact with Daniel Schluss,” Angela said.

“Absolutely not,” Anna said.

“Anna, please,” Anders said.

“You want to send our already mentally unstable father back to the same institution that made him that way?” Anna said.

“We don't have a choice,” Anders said, “We need to speak to Daniel, and without Somer’s permission, we need a subpoena, which is going to take time.”

“Even if he speaks to Daniel, what makes you think he's gonna remember a word that he says?” Anna said. “The man can't even remember what he had for lunch.”

“I have noticed that you have a habit of referring to me as if I'm not in the room,” Walter said, “Does anyone care what I think?”

“Yes, Walter,” Anders said, “What do you want to do?”

“I'd rather not go,” Walter said.

“Walter…” Anders said.

“Anders, he said no,” Anna said.

“That is incorrect,” Walter said, “I said, ‘I'd rather not go’, but I will. Every moment that passes is another moment that little boy's life is in danger. Isn't that...correct, son?”

“Yes,” Anders said.

“Then we should go,” Walter said.

St. Clara’s - 2:30 PM

Anders finished signing another stack of papers and handed them to Somer.

“Well, are you ready?” Somer said.

“When you get out, we'll be right here,” Anna said.

“Good luck, Walter,” Anders said.

Walter anxiously followed Somer down a corridor to the activity room, where several patients milled around. Somer led him over to Daniel Schluss, who sat at a table, staring at the window and poking a cup of pudding.

“You have ten minutes, Walter,” Somer said, walking back to the door.

Walter sat down next to Daniel

“Daniel, it's me, Walter, Walter Humboldt,” Walter said.

Daniel stared at him. “Walter? You look different.”

“It's the beard,” Walter said, “And you look different too somehow. That smile. Have they altered your medication? Wouldn't surprise me. These medieval quacks are more proficient at phrenology than psychopharmacology.”

“I miss your jokes, Walter,” Daniel said.

“And I miss your stories,” Walter said, “The one about the woman who took you away with the green and red lights. Daniel, look at me. This is important. The woman, where exactly did she take you?”

“I'm sorry,” Daniel said, “I don't know what you're referring to. You must be mistaking me for someone else. Now, if you'll excuse me, I want to sit here and finish my butterscotch pudding.”

“You were always trying to solve it, huh?” Walter said.

“I don't do math anymore, Walter,” Daniel said, “Mathematical formulations are not conducive to my mental stability.”

“That's fine, but if you recognize the equation, do you not remember the woman with the red and green lights where she—” Walter began.

“I don't do math anymore!” Daniel screamed.

The other patients started screaming.

“You used to tell me the story all the time,” Walter said.

“No!” Daniel shouted.

“You used to drive me crazy,” Walter said.

“I don't do math anymore,” Daniel said, “I don't care about math.”

Somer and two orderlies walked over to them.

“Dr. Humboldt,” Somer said.

“No, I need to know where she took you, damn it,” Walter said.

“That's enough!” Somer said. “It’s time to go.”

“Where is she?” Walter said.

The orderlies grabbed Walter and slammed him against the wall.

“Please, Daniel, it's only—” Walter said.

Somer injected him with a sedative.

Somer’s office - 2:45 PM

“What the frak do you mean you sedated him?” Anders said.

“Walter is legally in my custody,” Anna said, “You have no right to keep him here.”

“Not only do I have every right to hold him, I have a responsibility to hold him,” Somer said, “He accosted Herr Schluss. If I release him and something else happens…"

“I can assure you that's not going to happen,” Anders said, “He's under our supervision.”

“Perhaps that's what compounded the problem,” Somer said.

“Meaning what?” Anna said.

“I had some time to talk to Dr. Humboldt after he calmed down about his work assisting you and it is clear that exposing him to the pressures of criminal investigations while indulging his fantastical pseudo-scientific notions and conspiracy theories has exacerbated the worst features of his mental illness,” Somer said.

“Really?” Anders said.

“Really,” Somer said.

“'Cause after some of the things I've seen in the last three months, Walter strikes me as being one of the sanest people I know,” Anna said, “Beside my own brother.”

“Is that so?” Somer said.

“I'm gonna make this really simple, Dr. Somer, Walter Humboldt is assisting us in a criminal investigation which you are currently obstructing,” Anders said, “So either you release him into our custody, or I will get a court order.”

“You go get your court order then,” Somer said.

Making a child believe his dead mother is alive to manipulate him... that's pretty messed up even by this narrative's standards.

Making a child believe his dead mother is alive to manipulate him... that's pretty messed up even by this narrative's standards.
As you'll see soon, and judging by Angela's and Anders' reactions, Walter probably did some even more messed up stuff.:eek:

Red Castle, Part 2

Strasburg field office - 3:00 PM

“Where are we on that tip from Rochester?” Angela said.

“Local agents are heading to the convenience store where they saw the boy,” Louise said, “They're hoping video surveillance can confirm it really was Ben Stein.”

“Okay, well have we set up checkpoints?” Olga said.

“No they're working on it,” Louise said, “So far nothing.”

“I have the general counsel's office on the phone,” an agent said, “It's about Dr. Humboldt.”

Diana took the phone. “This is Agent Frank... No, I wanted you to work around the protocol... Please, I need your help... I need to get Humboldt out... Okay, 7:00 PM....Thank you.”

“What was that?” Angela said.

“Okay, we have to wait till tonight for the court order to have Walter released,” Diana said.

“But then he's out,” Angela said.

“I promise,” Diana said, “Frak, this is ridiculous. We shouldn’t have done this.”

“No, this was Uncle Walter's choice,” Angela said.

“The woman who abducted Ben, Joan Ostler, everybody thought she was dead right?” Olga said.

“Yeah,” Angela said.

“Well she's been walking around for the last ten years, she must have been using somebody else’s name,” Olga said, “I’d do that if I faked my death.”

“We didn't get any hits on an alias search,” Louise said.

“What'd you base the search on?” Olga said.

“On the anagrams,” Louise said, “Like combinations of different family names. It's what most people use if they want to change their identity.”

“Thanks, I know that,” Olga said, “I've done this once or twice myself.”

“Why doesn't that surprise me?” Diana said.

“The best lie, the one that's easiest to remember with consistency, is the one based on the truth,” Olga said, “Whenever I would do this, I would base it on my own last name. Kirova. So Irina Petrova. Natasha Konstantinova. I also changed my first name for more security.”

“Well, that's great if all Russian surnames end in the same two or three letters,” Diana said, “What do you do when it's Ostler?”

Olga sat down at a computer. “Watch and learn.”

Angela picked up her phone. “This is a serial abductor so she's smart. She's probably switched cars since then. I want a record of every stolen car from the last 36 hours. Every gas station throughout Elsass and Lothringen, and pull all credit card receipts.”

“Ostler refers to someone from the Occupied Territories,” Olga said, pointing at the screen, “So that got me to cities from the Occupied Territories, so I cross-indexed last names that match eastern cities with her first name.”

“Joan Chemnitz,” Angela read.

“No photo, just a P.O. Box in Erstein,” Olga said.

“P.O. Box?” Angela said.

“Criminals don't really like people like us knowing where they live,” Diana said.

Angela picked up her phone again. “Can you expand the grid search to Erstein?”

Erstein - 3:15 PM

Ben played on the piano, but he suddenly stopped, unable to continue.

“What is it, Ben?” Joan said. “What's wrong?”

“I...I don't see it,’ Ben said.

“It's okay, Ben,” Abby said, “You're doing great, honey.”

“I can’t, I don't know how it ends,” Ben said.

Blood dripped onto the piano keys. Ben looked up and saw his mother bleeding.

“No,” Abby said, “Please I don't want to go away.”

“Well, that's up to Ben isn't it?” Joan said.

“Mom!” Ben said. “Stop! What are you doing to her?!”

“If you lose her again, you'll only have yourself to blame,” Joan said.

Abby fell over.

“Mom!” Ben screamed.

Meanwhile, Joan sat in a chair next to Ben, who was strapped down in a chair with complex neural interfacing equipment attached to his head. Ben continued screaming while Joan jotted down some notes.

St. Clara’s - 4:00 PM

Walter, now wearing the same clothes as the other patients, walked over to Daniel again.

“I'm sorry I upset you this morning,” Walter said.

“Go away,” Daniel said.

“There's a little boy out there,” Walter said, “He's in trouble. We're his only hope.”

“I don't want to talk about math Walter,” Daniel said.

“Okay, okay,” Walter said, “I don't need to talk about the equation. I need to know about the woman, where she took you.”

“You're wrong,” Daniel said, “There was no woman.”

“Daniel, if you don't, the boy... he'll end up like us,” Walter said.

“Walter please,” Daniel said, “I can’t!"

“Yes, you can,” Walter said.

“It was so beautiful,” Daniel said, “She promised me things. What I wanted most of all, but when I couldn't solve the equation, she took it away. Everything she promised. It was all a lie…none of it was real. She hurt me. She put me in a dungeon. She filled my mind with images of the people I loved... and then tortured them ripping them apart all the while trying to suck the answers she wanted out of my head. But I couldn't - I couldn't give her what she wanted.”

“Where were you, Daniel?” Walter said.

“I told you, a dungeon,” Daniel said.

“No!” Walter said. “No! No! Not some fantasy you nitwit. Where were you really?”

“Dungeon!” Daniel said. “A dungeon in a red castle!”

“You listen,” Walter said, “You answer me. Don't you understand? No listen. This is the only way we'll find him.”

“None of it happened,” Daniel said, “It was just a dream. Just a bad dream.”

Somer’s office - 7:00 PM

Anders and Anna stormed into Somer’s office. Anders tossed the court order on Somer’s desk. Somer merely looked at it and shrugged.

“You're making a terrible mistake,” he said, “Despite whatever strings you've managed to pull, your father is not mentally fit to be released from this hospital.”

“Thanks for the advice,” Anders said, “But my sister and I agreed he's safer with her than he is here with you.”

“He may not be the picture of perfect sanity, but when I saw him come through that door, I saw him change,” Anna said, “He was afraid.”

“So what are you saying?” Somer said. “Are you saying I somehow managed to intentionally harm him? Athanatoi? Heimat Security? How'd you pull this off?”

“What?” Anna said.

“Meaning that since you were here last, I learned a little bit about you,” Somer said, “Enrolling at LIT based on fraudulent credentials. Starting businesses and failing, and then running away from the consequences. As for you, Anders Humboldt…you have a long history of peddling conspiracy theories and abusing your position, breaking protocol, disobeying orders, and getting innocent civilians killed to chase stuff that doesn’t exist, like this Sentinel.”

“Do you have a point?” Anders said.

“Neither of you are a fit guardian for Walter, and I'm going to petition the governor to have him removed from your custody,” Somer said, “And for Anders here to be barred from assuming it.”

“Excuse me?” Anna said.

“Whether you're willing to recognize it or not, Walter is a danger., both to himself and to others,” Somer said,.

“Then I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree,” Anna said, “'Cause you may think you know what he's capable of, but you have no idea what I'm capable of.”

“Or me,” Anders said.

“Are you threatening me?” Somer said.

“Just a friendly warning,” Anders said.

“We'd like to see my father now,” Anna said.

Outside St. Clara’s - 7:30 PM

The gate buzzed, and two orderlies led Walter over to Anna and Anders.

“Walter?” Anna said. “Are you okay?”

“I'd like to go now,” Walter said.

“Of course, we'll go right now,” Anders said.

“I’ve, I've failed,” Walter said, “It was all for nothing. Daniel went on and on like an incoherent loon about being taken to dungeons and red castles. Is that what it's like to talk to me?”

“Walter, let's go home,” Anna said.

Erstein

Angela, Diana, Louise, and Olga stepped onto the small porch. Louise knocked on the door, and a woman appeared.

“Excuse me ma'am, I'm Special Agent Kazdan with the Athanatoi,” Louise said, showing her a picture of Ben, “I was wondering if you'd seen this boy. His name's Ben Stein. He's ten.”

“No, I'm sorry,” the woman said, “What happened to him?”

“He was abducted by a woman from this area,” Diana said, handing her a picture of Joan, “Do you recognize her?”

Angela’s phone rang.

“Hansen,” she said.

“Hey Angie, it’s me,” Anders said, “I want you to know he's out.”

“Oh good!” Angela said. “How's he doing?”

“Yeah he's okay, but I hope you got a lead there because this was a total bust,” Anders said.

“Frak,” Angela said, “So he wasn't able to connect with Daniel?”

“No, he's taking it pretty hard,” Anders said, “He's beating himself up pretty good.”

“Did he get anything?” Angela said.

“He just said the guy was babbling on talking about red castles and dungeons,” Anders said, “He did what he could.”

“I'm just glad he's okay,” Angela said.

“Yeah, me too,” Anders said.

“And if any red castles appear, I'll let you know,” Angela said.

“Sure,” Anders said.

Angela hung up.

“Thank you for your time,” Olga said.

“Anytime, agents,” the woman said, closing her door.

They turned around and headed back to Louise’s car. Angela looked up and saw a red castle-like building across the street.

“Well, isn’t that just a coincidence?” she muttered.

“What is?” Louise said.

Angela pointed at the red building.

“Uncle Walter said Daniel was ranting about red castles,” Angela said.

Everybody looked at her and then at the building. Then they walked across the street and up to the door of the building, which was locked with a heavy padlock.

“It's not a drawbridge but it's close,” Louise said.

“This place looks like it hasn't been used for a while,” Diana said.

Olga pushed aside grass, revealing cracked pavement and faded paint underneath.

“Yeah, it hasn’t been used in a while,” she said, “Though it’s suspiciously still livable, barely.”

Louise took out her phone and dialed the field office. “It's Kazdan. Could you pull up a property search on an address for me?”

“Girls?” Angela said. “I think I found something.”

She pushed aside a shrub and found a dry well with a ladder leading down. Before the others could react, Angela started climbing down, and they followed her. They reached the bottom and found themselves in a very large basement consisting of rooms and hallways.

“Definitely suspicious,” Diana said.

They split up into separate hallways. Angela drew her gun as she approached a room. She opened the door and found Ben inside, still attached to the neural interface equipment.

“Oh, thank God,” she said, taking off the equipment, “You're going to be okay.”

Joan tackled her from behind, knocking her down. She tried punching back or aiming her gun, but she was too slow to catch the younger Joan. Joan pushed Angela down and ran out of the room. Angela got up and chased her down the hallway.

“Stop!” she shouted. “Put your hands in the air!”

Joan took out a remote control, and a sequence of lights flashed on the ceiling. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red. Green, green, green, red..

“Angie!” Diana shouted, shaking her by the shoulders. “You okay?”

Angela blinked, seeing Diana suddenly in front of her.

“Wait, what?” Angela said.

“You were just standing there,” Diana said.

“No, she was just there,” Angela said, “I swear!”

“Girls?” Louise said, carrying Ben out with Olga. “A little help here?”

“Talk about this back at the office,” Diana said, running over to them.

Anna’s hotel room - 9:00 PM

“Nice to be home right?” Anna said, leading Walter into the hotel room.

“This place is filthy,” Walter said, “Did you have a party while I was gone?”

“No Walter, I didn't have a party,” Anna said, “I have no friends to invite over.”

“I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I need space,” Walter said.

“Oh?” Anna said.

“Sorry to spring this on you so suddenly but... these quarters are very cramped,” Walter said, “I think I am ready for my own room.”

“That's, that's not a problem,” Anna said, “I can talk to Anders tomorrow about getting you some on-campus housing.”

“That would be very beneficial,” Anna said.

“You know, what you did by going back into that place was very, very brave, Walter,” Anna said.

Walter lay down on his bed. “Thank you daughter.”

Strasburg field office - 9:30 PM

Angela and Erich led Ben down the hallway.

“Ben, are you hungry?” Angela asked. “Because there's a vending machine in the hall, and I've got a roll of einers.”

“No, I'm okay,” Ben said, “Thanks.”

“Sure?” Angela said.

“Mm-hmm,” Ben said.

They entered the lobby, where Jeremy waited. He stood up when he saw them.

“Ben?” he said.

“Dad?” Ben said.

They ran over to each other and hugged, while Erich got a clipboard and form ready.

“Release forms,” he said, “As soon as he signs they're free to go.”

“Yeah, Dad, maybe we should just let them have a minute,” Angela said, “Now I should call Anna and Walter. After what Walter went through, she'll be happy to know Ben's alright.”

“Good work, Angie,” Erich said.

Unknown

Joan walked into a small warehouse where computers and other high-tech equipment had been set up. Michael Leibowitz sat at one of the computers.

“Got it,” Joan said, “Now let's see if it really does what you said it would.”

Joan sat down at a computer and typed the equation in, while Michael attached a device to a safe and put an apple inside.

“Seems crazy that some numbers can make a machine like this work,” Joan said.

“Look around your house your office, your kitchen,” Michael said, “You’ll see numbers make everything work. Here we go.”

He pushed a button on his computer, and the device emitted a low rumbling sound. The wall of the safe rippled as if it was like water. Michael put on a glove and reached through the wall, taking out the apple.

“It worked,” Joan said, “That's incredible.”

Michael drew his gun and shot Joan in the head. He then took a bite out of the apple as he dialed a number on his phone.

“It worked,” he said.

I feel like the best aspect of Walter being around more means we'll get to highlight the struggle of mental diseases and how the Reich treats that.