The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not. Yet.
It's treason then.
'I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!'
AAOOOOUAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Shh, no tears, only dreams.
My dreams are still dreams....
Top 10 anime betrayals.
You thought it was Vladimir who betrayed the Revolution, but it was me, Molotov!
I don't think Hydra offers refunds.
Damn it
You're supposed to go AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH or something. "Ahhhhh!" just makes it sound like you stepped on a Lego brick.:p
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
This is where the fun begins.
Oh, I don't think so.
Don't you mean r/sequelmemes? Traitor!
Prequel memes are the better memes!
charges with lightsaber
And we shall have...chain breaking.
fixes chain
I AM the Senate!
Not. Yet.
teleports behind you

Nothing personnel, kid.
turns around and punches

The Herausforderer matter will have to be addressed eventually, but it is admittedly less important than finishing the war. Speaking of, Yazov... here's hoping he'd prefer losing to nuclear annihilation.
Let me just say Dmitry is nothing like Valentin. Interpret that however you want.:p
Are we going to see a restoration of Yavdi and the United Baltic Provinces once more? Wait for several more cliffhanger chapters!
Watch as I spend the next ten chapters talking about something that happens in five minutes...in the past!:D
It's treason then.
'I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!'
AAOOOOUAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not. Yet.
My dreams are still dreams....
Twice the dreams double the disappointment.
You thought it was Vladimir who betrayed the Revolution, but it was me, Molotov!
It's-a me, Molotov!
laughs in exploding helicarrier
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Good...good...let the hate flow through you.
Oh, I don't think so.
Memes or not, you must realize. You. Are. dramatic close-up on eyes Doomed.
Prequel memes are the better memes!
charges with lightsaber
But...didn't we just agree on that?
fixes chain
breaks chain again
Not. Yet.
It's treason then.

"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!"

AAOOOOUAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
turns around and punches
Nani?

The End of History, Part 53

Riga – March 3, 1985, morning

Dmitry’s new office was terribly small. It was barely larger than a cubicle. The only furniture in the room consisted of a table and a small chair. A lightbulb hung from the concrete ceiling. The planners obviously never intended anybody to use this office when they built this bunker. It was nothing like Valentin’s office in Kiev, but it would have to do until his ships were ready. He had one carrier and a few cruisers left to protect his transports, which he’d armed with as many mobile missile launchers as he could. Even then, he wouldn’t have enough room for everybody, which meant several divisions needed to “volunteer” to stay behind.

Soviet Army General Menshov, Soviet Air Force General Cherenkov, and Soviet Navy Admiral Karenin entered the office and saluted. Their uniforms were in tatters, and their faces were covered in dust and engine grease. They looked like they hadn’t gotten any sleep that week.

“Comrades, I assume you’re here to give me an update,” Dmitry said.

“We have good news and bad news,” Menshov said, “Which do you want to hear first?”

“Surprise me,” Dmitry said.

“Well, Molotov’s forces have taken Kiev and declared him the new General Secretary,” Cherenkov said.

“He got his desk,” Dmitry said.

Cherenkov nodded. “I’m afraid so. Also, we failed to take Vienna and Lithuania’s—”

Dmitry pulled out his pistol and shot Cherenkov in the head. The general’s body thudded on the concrete floor as the other two men stared in shock.

“Now, the good news?” Dmitry asked.

“That…was the good news,” Karenin said, “The bad news is we lost our carrier. The Kuznetsov exploded when we tried to power on its systems. The explosion took out most of our cruisers and killed several hundred crewmen. Honestly, having been launched last December it wasn’t even fully operational, and it was barely seaworthy. We should’ve—”

Dmitry shot him in the head too.

“Please don’t shoot me too, Comrade,” Menshov pleaded, “I have a family!”

“We’re doomed,” Dmitry said, wringing his head, “We’re doomed, aren’t we?”

“No, comrade, we’re absolutely not doomed!” Menshov said, nervously shaking. “We won the last Great Patriotic War, and we’ll win this one! Those capitalists will soon feel the fury of the proletarian revolution!”

Dmitry put down his gun and looked at Menshov. “Yes…” he mused. “Yes…the capitalists will feel the true power of the proletarian revolution. Witness the power of this fully operational weapons platform. Yes…they will tremble in fear when I make my comeback and free the workers of the world from their slavery!”

He pressed a red button on the table, cackling madly.

Menshov recoiled so badly he pressed himself against the door. Muttering almost unintelligible curses and prayers, he pointed at the button.

“What?” Dmitry said. “I pushed the button. That’s the one to release the nerve gas, right?”

“No,” Menshov said, paling in horror, “That’s the one to launch the nukes!”

Dmitry’s face twisted into a sick grin. “Even better.”

He picked up his gun and shot Menshov in the head.

Tesla Dynamic building, Frankfurt

The elevator dinged, interrupting Diana’s debugging. She pushed away from the console and sighed in the elevator’s direction.

“Alright, Mina, you better have a good explanation for this, or Aunt Rita’s going to be…” her voice trailed off.

Anne stood in the hallway, a faint smile on her face. “Hi, Anna,” she said.

Diana shot out of her seat and ran towards her. “Mom!” she happily cried.

Anne warmly embraced her daughter, patting her on the back.

“I missed you so much,” Diana said, “We thought you were dead.”

“We both know that’s a lie,” Anne said.

Diana managed a little chuckle. “Everybody keeps telling me that,” she said, “I’m just glad you’re back with us.”

“I’ve been busy,” Anne said, “You won’t believe who I met on assignment.”

“Please tell me it’s nothing to do with that assassin in Vienna,” Diana said.

Anne shook her head. “Her name’s Olga. I think you know who she is.”

“Who’s Olga?” Diana said.

“I’ll explain later,” Anne said, “There’s a lot I need to tell you. Does this place have a cafeteria or something?”

The elevator dinged again, and Mina and Rita stepped out.

“Oh, come on!” Diana said. “The one time I don’t expect you guys to show up—”

“Save it, Di,” Mina said.

Anne’s face lit up at the sight of her sister. “This a family reunion now or something?”

Rita wasn’t amused. “Hello, Anne,” she said, dismissively.

Anne’s smile disappeared. “What did you expect? A coffin or something? Look, can we just move past—”

“That?” Rita interrupted. “Maybe. You still haven’t given me an answer why.”

“Do I need a reason why?” Anne snapped, her voice rising. “Choices were made, and I’m sorry they didn’t go your way, Rita. But they were made, and here we are!”

“I was your sister, Anne!” Rita said. “You broke my heart!”

“I’m still your sister, Rita!” Anne shot back. “You didn’t have to cut me off!”

“You did that yourself!” Rita said.

“Uh, guys?” Mina said, pointing to the console. “There’s a light beeping over...there.”

Diana walked over to the console and looked at the light. “Probably a false alarm. Got a lot of those last week.”

“Please tell me that’s not what I’m thinking it is,” Rita said.

Diana looked at the label. “Incoming missiles…” she read.

I cannot help but notice the close timing of when Molotov finally gets a bigger desk and when the nukes starts flying. Related perhaps? o_O

And so Dmitry has etched his name into history, covered in blood and desperation. Now we just wait to see the damage.

I cannot help but notice the close timing of when Molotov finally gets a bigger desk and when the nukes starts flying. Related perhaps? o_O
I imagine if civilization survives long enough to create social media, there will be a lot of memes about desks.:p
And so Dmitry has etched his name into history, covered in blood and desperation. Now we just wait to see the damage.
Don't forget Dmitry might be slightly unhinged.:p
*casually posts an update doing exactly that, right after he says that*
Technically, there were no flashbacks.o_O
I was expecting the Big Hero 6 gif Sir Dippingsauce posted a while ago.:D
Btw, what did the total collapse event do?
Nothing really besides a few modifiers that increase militancy and war exhaustion. I recycled them from HPM.

The update will probably be coming later today.

The End of History, Part 54
Blachernae Palace

“…agents tell us Yazov’s given the order,” Erich Hansen said.

Otto leaned back in his chair. “Which order?”

Erich started sweating profusely. “THE order, Your Majesty. The nuclear one.”

Erich half-expected the Kaiser to stand up and scream at him, berating him for not getting rid of Yazov before or securing the silos in time. And he would have to explain why his agents couldn’t do that, given how fortified Riga was and how chaotic the rest of Russia was.

But Otto simply sat there and nodded his head with the same stoicism that had defined most of his reign. “It’s come to this,” he said, “It all comes down to these last few hours.”

“Your orders, sir?” Erich asked. “The Athanatoi and the Army must be ready to—”

“I’ve said this before, and I’ll only say this once more,” Otto said, “No second strike.”

“Your Majesty, the enemy has already given THE order!” Erich explained. “We have no choice but to fire back! Otherwise we’ll destroy the Reich and hand victory to them!”

“I assume you fought in Siam, Director?” Otto asked.

“Yes, sir,” Erich said.

“Then you know what it is like when nobody wins,” Otto said, “You know what it is like to lose. To feel so desperately you’re right, yet to fail all the same. And you know that, deep inside. When you get to my age, Director, you’ll understand.”

“Your Majesty, with all due respect, I don’t see what you’re trying to tell me,” Erich said.

“War is like a game of chess,” Otto said, gesturing to a chessboard, “There are usually two sides. To win, one must outmaneuver and outwit the other while countering the other’s strategies.”

He moved a pawn on the black side forward, followed by a knight on the white side.

“One side could win…or there could be a stalemate. Both sides could lose all but their kings, destroying the other but ending their chances of victory.”

He moved pieces from both sides, capturing and flanking and advancing in rapid succession until only a handful of pieces were left.

“This war is like that. We’re headed towards a stalemate. The enemy has thrown every piece it has at our side to tip the balance in their favor. They expect us to do the same. And when we do, we lose our pieces, and they lose theirs.”

By then, only four pieces were left on the board: the two kings, a white queen, and a black pawn. The pawn took the queen and promoted to a queen, and on the next turn the king captured it, leaving just the kings in play.

“We’re left with only our kings,” Otto said, “Mutually assured destruction.”

“Sir, respectfully, that analogy is flawed,” Erich said, “If you don’t counter their attack, you’ll be checkmated in the end.”

“If you had been paying attention to the board during our little conversation, Director, you would’ve seen Black left an opening on Turn 4, when he exposed his queen to temporarily put White in check,” Otto explained, “White could’ve forced Black to sacrifice either their queen or a rook in just three turns with a knight and bishop, which would lead to checkmate in another two turns. Surely that is preferable to stalemate. It is similar in war. Sometimes, we’re blinded so much by the obvious but imperfect solution we ignore the hidden but preferable solution.”

“And how is not launching our missiles preferable?” Erich asked, “Because Valentin is a coward and won’t launch those missiles? Except I have him in custody a few blocks away, his so-called friend turns out to be even crazier, and Dmitry didn’t hesitate to push the button.”

“You’re overthinking, Director,” Otto said, “It’s because I have Strategic Defense Initiative.”

Riga

General Chernov entered the office just as the janitors dragged out General Menshov’s body. He glanced nervously at the dead general before looking at Dmitry and saluting.

“Chernov reporting, comrade!” he stammered.

Dmitry pointed a gun at his head. “Ah, General Chernov,” he said, “You are a bold one, to come here now. I remember our days in Prague. I enjoyed your war stories at the annual Congress. I wouldn’t want those experiences to become just…stories. I hope you have something.”

Chernov hesitated. His throat dried up, and his mouth stayed shut.

“Nervous, General?” Dmitry asked. “Nervous about the war, I suppose? Don’t worry, General, by noon we’ll have won, and by dinnertime we’ll be marching through Constantinople’s ruins.”

“Can you at least put down the gun?” Chernov asked.

Dmitry smiled and set down his weapon. “Sure.”

“Now, you were reporting something?” he asked. “I’m not as patient as Varennikov was.”

“Most of the Army’s mutinied and we’ve lost control of most silos and only five silos received your order and we’re being overrun everywhere by Molotov’s forces and the capitalists and—” Chernov sputtered.

“Slow down, General,” Dmitry said, “There’s a mutiny?”

“Yes,” Chernov sputtered.

“And only five silos received my order?”

“Yes.”

“Did they all launch?”

“Yes.”

Dmitry smiled again. “Good,” he said, “If as much as one launch is reported, I’m satisfied.”

“You won’t shoot me?” Chernov asked.

Dmitry laughed. “Of course not! Why would I shoot the legendary General Chernov? The hero of Prague, the third Butcher of Bohemia? No, why would I? I’d just cause a mutiny here. You can go now, by the way.”

“Thank you, comrade!” Chernov exclaimed.

Before he could get out, Dmitry picked up his gun and shot him in the head.

“You’re overthinking, Director,” Otto said, “It’s because I have Strategic Defense Initiative.”
I must admit I was wrong. I though Otto was an idiot for not openly "upholding" his side of MAD. But if I had taken SDI into consideration, I would have seen Otto for the wise man he is.

If you conceive a new mega-company, how will you convert the save from HOI4 to V2 NWO? Simsulla for some strange reasons stopped the development of the HOI4-NWO converter, and developers from Paradox Interactive are unlikely to be going to make the game at times after World War II. This is disgusting, because I, for example, do not want the history of absolutely all my states in the games of Paradox Interactive to end either before 1949 or in 1949. So, if you start such a mega campaign, then what will you do?

I must admit I was wrong. I though Otto was an idiot for not openly "upholding" his side of MAD. But if I had taken SDI into consideration, I would have seen Otto for the wise man he is.
Everything's easier once you have an unstoppable network of directed energy weapons orbiting Earth.:p
If you conceive a new mega-company, how will you convert the save from HOI4 to V2 NWO? Simsulla for some strange reasons stopped the development of the HOI4-NWO converter, and developers from Paradox Interactive are unlikely to be going to make the game at times after World War II. This is disgusting, because I, for example, do not want the history of absolutely all my states in the games of Paradox Interactive to end either before 1949 or in 1949. So, if you start such a mega campaign, then what will you do?
Simsulla said he couldn't work on the converter because HOI4 updated faster than he could finish updating the last changes. And it barely worked for games started in base HOI4, with no compatibility for megacampaigns, and it would take too much effort to include that compatibility. What I did for this megacampaign, and what I would likely do for a future one, was manually convert from HOI3/4 and Victoria 2. I wrote a program that copied the province ownerships over from Victoria 2. I then made some adjustments to account for NWO-added provinces and provinces whose ids are switched (resulting in Russian provinces ending up in China and India) as well as changes that happened in HOI. After that, I manually went into the culture files and changed each pop's culture and religion on my own, then changed the history files, reforms, political parties, and other important stuff for each country that exists or I plan on existing at some point. As you can see, this is a very time-consuming process. It took me several months to get this up and running, and that was mostly during the summer I think. The "finished" mod is very barebones and prone to breaking, as I explained when the politics tab broke in 2003. And I'm not even talking about writing events, event chains, decisions, and setting up diplomatic relations yet. So if I do think about starting another megacampaign, which is already unlikely right now (as I'm considering making my planned Kaiserreich AAR my last one), I will not convert it to New World Order, and I might not even take it into Stellaris. It would end in Hearts of Iron. And I would play in Hearts of Iron 4. The interface for 3 was a nightmare on its own.

Otto's trump card can save the Reich and Dmitry only further encourages the soldiers around him to just attack him and surrender to whoever they can... It's not a mutiny if it works, after all.

Watch as I spend the next ten chapters talking about something that happens in five minutes...in the past!
:eek:
Not. Yet.
*kills three Meritocracy masters in five seconds*
Good...good...let the hate flow through you.
Where are my memes?
Are they saved?
Are they shared?
Memes or not, you must realize. You. Are. dramatic close-up on eyes Doomed.
*Meme army shows up and starts shooting*
But...didn't we just agree on that?
That's what I Wanted you to think!
breaks chain again
fixes chan again again
It's treason then.

"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!"

AAOOOOUAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Oh no you don't! The chain breaking of the equalises will never return! You have losT!
omae wa mou, shindeiru
“He got his desk,
VICTORY ROYALE

Otto's trump card can save the Reich and Dmitry only further encourages the soldiers around him to just attack him and surrender to whoever they can... It's not a mutiny if it works, after all.
Then again, Dmitry hasn't been quite sane in the last few updates.:p
*kills three Meritocracy masters in five seconds*
disarms equalist sith next to a window
Where are my memes?
Are they saved?
Are they shared?
It seems, in your anger, you reposted them.
*Meme army shows up and starts shooting*
r/sequelmemes flees by ridiculous motorcycle thing
That's what I Wanted you to think!
No u
fixes chan again again
What is a chan?o_O
Oh no you don't! The chain breaking of the equalises will never return! You have losT!
No, no, no, no, you will DIE!

shoots lightning
omae wa mou, shindeiru
turns around and punches
VICTORY ROYALE
Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director.:p

The End of History, Part 55

Frankfurt

“Definitely a false alarm,” Mina said, turning away, “Now, if you’ll excuse me—”

“Mina Schaefer!” Rita ordered.

Mina sighed and stopped. “Sorry, Mom.”

Anne picked up a phone. “Operator, get me Athanatoi HQ,” she said, “It’s Director Frank. Identification code 4119622. It’s urgent. Got it? … Morning, Director Hansen. Where’s Director Kurtz? He should be…no? Okay. I need you to confirm something with…WHAT?! Did the Kaiser…you just talked to him? I need a clear answer, because I’m not going to give authorization on just a…oh. You’re kidding me. They’re really… Son of a…yeah, have a good rest of your day, Hansen. Yes, there’ll still be a rest of the day. I’ll get something done.”

She slammed down the phone and shook her head. “It’s not a false alarm,” she said.

“Scheiße!” Diana cursed.

“Language!” Anne said. “We have to work on that when we get home.”

Mina held back a snicker, and Rita glared at her. Not bothering to wait for any of them, Diana sat down at the console and started flipping switches and pushing buttons. Rows upon rows of lights lit up, and the large computers started booting up. Tapes began turning. Screens flickered to life, bearing the rainbow-colored half-eaten logo synonymous with Steven Jandali-Schieble.

The screen in front of Diana lit up, displaying green-colored prompts.

>Boot successful. Enter credentials for user 1.

dfrank 7219731

>Credentials accepted. Enter credentials for user 2.

val 4119622 override 495362

>Override accepted. Accessing main functions…

>Ready.

run svi_main.exe

>Executing svi_main.exe …

>…

>Loading map…

A second screen buzzed to life, displaying a map of Europe. Forty-six yellow dots, slowly crawling across the Reich, indicated SVI satellites. Five red dots, slowly blinking westwards, indicated the locations of the Soviet missiles.

“This feels a lot like Asteroids or something,” Diana said.

“Who plays that arcade trash?” Mina said. “Everybody knows Rentiantang’s where it’s at.”

“Mina!” Rita snapped. “Not now!”

Mina sighed again.

“I think I can take it from here, Mom,” Diana said.

Anne stepped away. “Sure, my dear,” she said.

Diana sat in front of the console and started typing.

>Map loaded. Establishing satellite link…

>…

>…

>ERROR: Unable to connect to <Unit 47>. Unit is either missing or out of service.

>This does not terminate the process. You may continue the operation or abort.

>It is not advised to continue the operation. Unforeseen errors may occur.

>Would you like to continue? [Y] [N]

Diana cursed. “I should’ve known Herausforderer would’ve come back to bite us.”

“We’re doomed,” Mina said, “And all because my cousin is a horrible engineer. I mean, seriously, is that even your field of specialty? I thought you were in the whole spy thing, and we have enough money to hire Melinda Saxberg herself, at least for—”

“Mina, please,” Rita said, “Stop bugging your cousin. You’ll have plenty of time after we don’t destroy civilization, but if your snarks are responsible for killing us all—”

“Anna, it’s okay,” Anne said, “It’s just a warning. You can still do this.”

“Can we?” Diana said. “There’s a reason there’s a warning.”

“We can’t undo Herausforderer,” Anne said, “And there are missiles heading for us.”

Diana thought for a little bit. Then she turned back to the console.

“You’re right,” she said, “Might as well.”

Y

>Connection complete. Assessing threats…

>…

>5 threats detected. Classification: ICBM.

>Executing svi_power_up.exe …

>Powering up defense network…

>Executing svi_icbm_counter.exe …

Diana watched intently as the red dots vanished from the screen, one by one. Her panic and fear slowly gave way to elation. It was working.

>Threat 1 ELIMINATED.

>Threat 2 ELIMINATED.

>Threat 3 ELIMINATED.

>Threat 4 ELIMINATED.

>…

>…

>…

Sad_mac.png

>Fatal ERROR: Null pointer exception.

>Connection lost. Attempting to recover…

>Recovery FAILED. Operation has been TERMINATED.

>Initiating full system reboot…

The screen went blank. Diana typed in some commands, hit buttons, and flipped switches, but nothing happened. Her panic soon returned as she realized what had happened. She banged her fists against the console, but still nothing happened. She looked under the console, checking if it was still plugged in. It was. She flipped the on-off switch again three times and repeatedly jabbed the red and green buttons. Still nothing. Diana leaned back in her chair, fully paralyzed by the fear. The fear wasn’t there because the system went down. It was there because she knew the consequences of the system not being brought back up.

Diana turned to Anne. “Mom, get Director Hansen on the phone,” she said, “Tell him to tell the Kaiser or whoever’s in charge of the normal countermeasures that SVI’s offline. And I don’t think I can get it online in time.”

“How long do we have?” Rita asked.

“Maybe less than a minute,” Diana said, “The last missile wasn’t moving as fast as the others, but it’s still headed in our direction. It will reach Roman territory very soon.”

Anne was already on the phone again. “Operator, get me Athanatoi HQ again,” she said, “…Hey, I just called a few minutes ago! Do you really need me to give the code again? … We’re talking about the greater good here! Where is Director Hansen? I need to talk to him now! Millions of lives are at stake! … Fine. Identification code 4119622. Happy now? ... What do you mean you didn’t get that? It’s 4, 1, 1, 9, 6, 2, 2. How hard is it to just write it down?! Yes, there are two ones and two twos. No, not one two and two ones! Two ones, two...Oh hey Erich, some idiot operator transferred my call without warning. Anyways, how fast can we scramble the other countermeasures? … You’re asking me why? … Seriously? Because there's a nuke incoming, in case you forgot, and SVI’s crashed. The people at Apple call it a bug or something. Whatever the case, I’m seriously questioning the decision to hire Apple, even though it contracted Tesla Dynamic, which is in a partnership with Microsoft, and we all know how reliable Melinda’s…yeah…okay……WHAT?!”

Anne’s sudden yelp caused Rita to step back a few steps, while Mina tripped and crashed head-first into a packet switch. Diana’s eyes widened, fearing Director Hansen had said what she feared most.

Anne’s arm wavered, barely keeping the receiver stationary next to her ear. Her free arm shook by her side, her fingers making the sign of the cross. Her eyes widened in shock, as if she were scared to death. She gripped a nearby surface, as if she were about to faint. Diana never saw her mother so shocked before, and in that instant, she knew what happened.

“…got it, I understand,” Anne said, her voice a whisper, “I’ll be there for the debriefing. Keep me updated.”

She gently put down the receiver. “I’ve got good news and bad news,” she said.

“Just tell me, Mom,” Diana said, “Which city did they hit?”

“The missile fell far short of its initial target, which given its most recent trajectory would’ve been landed in Lublin, Krakow, Prague, or Vienna,” Anne explained, “It didn’t hit any major Roman city.”

“But it had to have come down somewhere,” Diana said, “Where?”

“The Army’s saying it came down somewhere in Russia,” Anne said, “About a hundred kilometers north of Kiev, from what they told the Director. Near where the 541st Cavalry Division was stationed. They’re trying to reestablish contact right now.”

“Mom, answer my question,” Diana said, her voice very distressed, “Where did it land?”

Anne locked eyes with her daughter. “In a town called Chernobyl.”