• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 132: The World in 1700

11 January, 1700 - Warsaw

Two men walked into the small dining hall. If anybody was in the hall at that moment, they would have recognized the men as the dreaded Lithuanian generals, Aras Krasicki and Andrius Puzyna. But the room was empty right now.

There was a gust of wind from behind them, and Julie d'Aubigny appeared, wearing her military uniform.

"Ah, Wilhelm, couldn't find a more suitable vessel this time?" said Puzyna.

"You look a bit girly today, eh?" said Krasicki.

"Shut up, Raphael," said Julie, "This vessel serves me just fine. And Azazel, is there anything wrong with women at all? It's not like Lucifer created them or anything. And why are you late to the meeting?"

"Oh, well, I was busy minding my own business with the whole civil war thing--mind you, I was winning last I checked the scoreboard--when all of a sudden Victoria II emancipated the slaves!"
2016-02-02_00032.jpg
2016-02-02_00033.jpg

"Yes," said Wilhelm, summoning a jug of beer and emptying it all at once, "Victoria takes the Augustinian Code quite seriously, after the debacle with the heretics and all. She closed the loophole that allowed for the use and exploitation of African slaves, so the slave owners will have to look to other...businesses."

"Does it surprise you that you're the last member of the old General Staff?" said Azazel. "We still have numerous agents on the Lithuanian side."
2016-02-02_00039.jpg

"The Reich will get its revenge, I tell you," said Wilhelm, "Especially after you tried to force the Apocalypse upon them a hundred years ago. The world is a much different place today than back then.
2016-02-02_00041.jpg
2016-02-02_00042.jpg
If I showed a map of the world to Friedrich the Great in 1066, he would've thought me a madman, a hopeless optimist...or pessimist, depending on your point of view.
2016-02-02_00043.jpg
Take a look at religions. Christianity and Confucianism reign supreme, while Hinduism, Judaism, and the pagans are second-rate. Buddhism of any kind is just dead. Not like Islam-dead, but dead-dead. And it appears that the Sikhs have managed to convert another province!"

"Shut up, those Sikhs will accomplish nothing."

"You shut up and let me talk!
2016-02-02_00044.jpg
Now let's take a look at culture. The cultural situation is largely unchanged, so I'll just repeat the notable aspects. The Mongols have lost their empire but not their civilization. Remember that the Yavdi Empire is majority Mongol. It spread that and Finnish paganism into Siberia. The Turks mostly live under Indian occupation, and the only Turkish nation, the Ghaznavids, rule over only a handful of majority-Turkish cities, with the rest of their domains full of Khazars and Uyghurs and Tibetans. Note: don't take a look at Siberia; the cultural distribution annoys me."

"Ha!"

"Shut up, Azazel, or I'll pin you to the ceiling, slash your stomach open, and set you on fire!
2016-02-02_00045.jpg
2016-02-02_00046.jpg
This is the extent of the Reich in 1700 along with its allies. It has influence across the globe, and it's not going to give up its first-rate status.
2016-02-02_00047.jpg
Some notable rulers. Note that the Chinese invasion of Japan has begun.
2016-02-02_00048.jpg
2016-02-02_00052.jpg
2016-02-02_00055.jpg
2016-02-02_00056.jpg

The Chinese here are the most successful I've ever seen in all of the universes I've been to. They've always been beaten up in every single universe, whether its by the British, Americans, Germans, French, Russians, Japanese, Italians, Austrians, Dutch, Spanish, all of them at once, or undergoing the frequent 'Mingsplosion' or 'Qingsplosion' that I hear others remark on for the fact that it occurs in almost every single universe even when it doesn't make sense at all."

"You do know that the Romans have invented the ideas of nationalism and imperialism right?" said Azazel.

"Yeah, why?" replied Wilhelm.

"Because everybody else knows about it now, and I expect there to be a lot more wars in the future. Expect the Commonwealth and the Fylkirate and Persians to build up troops on their borders. Expect an invasion in the next few years. We're kicking this civil war into high gear."

"Likewise, expect the Reich and Russia and Yavdi to retaliate," said Wilhelm, "They are willing to fight to the death, and they will give you the fight you want. Whether you walk away from it is another question. Until 1800, gentlemen, I'll see you on the battlefield...and in Heaven."

And the room was empty again.

Reactions:
A good way to explain the streak of female rulers would be to say that absolute primogeniture was passed. I also think that the abolition of slavery should have been given more attention.

As always, thank you for the world update. The Reich has barely changed, aside from laws. Slavery has been outlawed, which works well given their acceptance of various cultures.

I see more and more buffer states slowly being eaten away. A world of blobs awaits us...

Chapter 133: Intervention in the Eimericas
2016-02-04_00003.jpg
2016-02-04_00002.jpg
Extra: dynasties of the world

"I hate loopholes."
-A former slaveowner

"We free the slaves, and this is how they repay us. With heresy. At least the Inquisition has something to do now."
-Johannes von Georg, Patriarch of Sudafrika

On 11 January 1700, Kaiserin Victoria II emancipated the slaves, issuing the Ban on Slavery Act and amending the Augustinian Code to close the loophole which allowed Roman merchants to buy slaves from Mali. The former slaves were granted citizenship and equal rights with other citizens, something which angered the aristocracy, merchant class, and the slaveowners, of course. Hundreds of years of exploitation and belief in the slaves' subhuman qualities were overturned in seconds with the stroke of a pen. The former slaveowners had to find new occupations. Some turned to fishing. Others turned to the textile industry and to ivory. Others joined the legions. Still others went into shipbuilding, and some of these former slaveowners developed a new type of ship, the archipelago frigate.
2016-02-02_00064.jpg
2016-02-04_00006.jpg
Meanwhile, the slaves had a difficult time integrating into Roman society. Some were already Christians, but the majority of them were pagans, not like the Malian pagans, but actual heathen pagans with no agreed-upon beliefs. A few freed slaves in Ouargla somehow got their hands on a book written by Johann Calvin and decided to "convert" to the dead heresy of Purism just to "try it out." Of course, that only earned them the anger of the local patriarch and immediate crackdown by the Inquisition.
2016-02-04_00007.jpg
2016-02-04_00008.jpg
Megas Domestikos Georgios Dalassenos was itching for a war to test out his new legions (and gain much glory for his own family). He noticed that the Mexica and Quechua empires were engaged in yet another war over patches of jungle and mountains northern South Eimerica. Victoria noticed this too and immediately sent an impossible ultimatum to Cihuatlatoani Yaotl Acatl, demanding that she withdraw all forces from Tawatinsuyuan territory immediately or "face the consequences of a Sunrise Invasion." Yaotl was not impressed.
2016-02-04_00009.jpg
Generals Wilhelm Otto and Julie d'Aubigny were sent to invade and seize the Orinoco Delta, aided by Neu Rhomanian colonial legions. Dalassenos's strategy was to occupy as much land as possible and liberate all of the occupied Tawatinsuyuan territory before Yaotl could mobilize her jaguar warriors. Upon entering Alliance territory, spies reported to their own amazement that there were absolutely no forts in the region; the only fort was near the Isthmus of Panama, and after that there were no more forts at all until the area immediately surrounding Tenochtitlan! It would be rather easy to just walk all the way from Neu Rhomania to Tenochtitlan itself. Victoria began drawing up plans for the capture of the Mexica capital and the liberation of Kaiser Wilhelm III's body.
Meanwhile, Japan sued for peace with the Ming and Koreans, granting them concessions and paying a hefty war indemnity that took away from the funds needed to modernize. It would be almost impossible now for them to Romanize and reform their samurai to stand up against the hordes of Chinese and Korean soldiers.
2016-02-04_00016.jpg
Otto attacked a Mexica garrison that was stationed at the Orinoco Delta; or rather, the garrison attacked him first. All one thousand jaguar warriors were crushed easily with no casualties on the Roman side. Otto proclaimed that he would seek vengeance for all of those Romans killed in the 13th century's Sunset Invasion.
2016-02-04_00018.jpg
In March of 1701, the cartographers filled in the last spots of terra incognita on the maps. With Aozhou completely mapped out now, the entire world was discovered. A few days later, the misguided heretics of Ouargla were brought back on the path of the True Faith, and Purism was eradicated again.
2016-02-04_00020.jpg
2016-02-04_00023.jpg
The imperial fleet chased down a Mexica fleet off the coast of the Silberfluss River, managing to sink several ships before it fled back to the Mexica holdings in the Caribbean.
2016-02-04_00029.jpg
Julie d'Aubigny continued to destroy garrisons wherever she found them. By now Yaotl was worried about the advances of Otto and d'Aubigny, but she had sent reinforcements to deal with them.
2016-02-04_00035.jpg
The imperial fleet chased down the Mexica fleet again, sinking three ships before the fleet fled to safety on a nearby island. Otto promptly assaulted the island's defenses.
2016-02-04_00038.jpg
d'Aubigny attempted to take the fortress at Magdalena, only for a Mexica army under the command of Xocoyotl Axayacatl to ambush her legion and massacre every last man. d'Aubigny managed to escape back to Neu Rhomania, but her legion was destroyed.
2016-02-04_00040.jpg
The Mexica fleet was forced out of its harbor again and attempted to run the blockade, loosing several ships in the process before managing to secure safety in another port. Otto promptly moved to that island as well.
2016-02-04_00044.jpg
When that island fell, the fleet made a run for it again, losing almost thirty ships in the process, two of which were captured and studied by the imperial navy. The remnants of the fleet fled to the last Mexica island in the Caribbean.
2016-02-04_00049.jpg
And when that island fell to Otto's legions, the fleet made a suicide run into the Roman navy which only served to send the entire fleet to the bottom of the ocean, with two more ships captured for good measure.
2016-02-04_00057.jpg
On land, the war wasn't going as well. Mexica reinforcements had retaken most of the occupied territories. Otto was deployed to defeat Axayacatl, but on the border with Neu Rhomania Axayacatl ambushed him first, and the jaguar warrios made short work of his legion. The survivors fled to Neu Brandenburg in panic.
2016-02-04_00064.jpg
That last battle caused the Sapa Inca to give up. Seeing that the Romans could not help them at all, Tawatinsuyu sued for peace, ceding to the Alliance large portions of their northern provinces. The Reich was humiliated by its enemy yet again. The Roman economy took a nosedive as merchants in Canton began to defect to the Tran, not wanting to work with a weak empire.
2016-02-04_00067.jpg
2016-02-04_00070.jpg
Ming continued its rampage in Asia, destroying the tribe of Ternate, which until then had survived unnoticed by basically everybody around it.
2016-02-04_00071.jpg
To distract the citizens from the reality of the war in the Eimericas, Victoria declared massive triumphs held in commemoration of the Reich's founding in 1105. It was now six hundred years since Friedrich the Glorious united East and West together, but it appeared now that the West and East were poised to fight again. Whether it was between Ming and Rome or Rome and the Alliance or all three of them in the same war was another question. Victoria hired a young German composer named Bach to compose music for the triumphs and celebrations. The Brandenburg Concertos became popular among many nobles and middle class citizens, though some remarked on something they called "Missing Localisation," whatever that was.
2016-02-04_00076.jpg
2016-02-04_00079.jpg
Angry at the failure in the war with the Alliance and the emancipation of the slaves, the barons of Memel rebelled against Victoria under the leadership of a man named Wolfram Isaiah, who had lost his legs in the war with the Alliance and came home to find that his wife had left him and his son had defected to Lithuania. Famine was rocking Memel, so he raised an army and rebelled.
2016-02-04_00080.jpg
The rebellion was over in twenty-three days. Isaiah was killed in the battle.
2016-02-04_00081.jpg
Dalassenos was not satisfied by the legions' conduct in the war with the Alliance. He reasoned that, while the truce was still in place and the Tawatinsuyu weren't at war with the Alliance, the Reich could pick on an easier and closer target to destroy and show the superiority of the legions...
2016-02-04_00082.jpg
In a dramatic overturning of tradition and policy, Victoria II issued a declaration of war against Fylkja Asta I Estrid of Scandinavia on the grounds of "imperialism." As the Russians, Yavdi, and Commonwealth mobilized their forces, Dalassenos ordered Operation Schwartz-Bart to commence at once, and hundreds of thousands of Roman soldiers streamed over the border into the Commonwealth.
2016-02-04_00083.jpg

I wouldn't say the war went badly against the Triple Alliance for the Reich. The problem was how poorly the war was going before the Reich even joined. Hopefully the coming war with Scandinavia will be good. Will the Reich actually take some territory in this war?

I see Japan is pretty much doomed. I'd expected outside intervention, but I'm not too bothered. The more nations annexed, the more fierce the war for domination of Asia becomes.

I can imagine the chaos going on at Russian court. "What do you mean the Reich is calling us into a war with Scandinavia? I was going to declare the next semi-annual Russo-Scandinavian War next week!" :p

Chapter 134: The Glorious War

"CHARGE!"
-Megas Domestikos Georgios Dalassenos

"But I was just about to send a declaration of war..."
-Fylkja Asta I

In June of 1706, Operation Schwartz-Bart commenced, and hundreds of thousands of men poured over the border into the Commonwealth, assaulting whatever cities and forts they could find. A legion was sent north into Holstein to secure a foothold in Scandinavia.
2016-02-04_00084.jpg
2016-02-04_00085.jpg
2016-02-04_00086.jpg
2016-02-04_00087.jpg
However, the Norse and Lithuanians had other ideas. In several decisive battles, they defeated the legions and forced the survivors to flee. Thousands of men were butchered by the berserkers and hussars...
2016-02-04_00095.jpg
2016-02-04_00096.jpg
2016-02-04_00098.jpg
2016-02-04_00099.jpg
Despite this, the legions pushed on, and Vilnius fell in March of 1707. By then half of the Commonwealth's domains had been occupied. The Reich's footholds in Denmark were secured as well.
2016-02-08_00003.jpg
2016-02-08_00005.jpg
(Strange glitch)

Kiev fell in May, around the same time that some Gallic citizens converted to Purism and were promptly eradicated by the Inquisition.
2016-02-08_00008.jpg
By August, the Russians had scrambled their forces, stabilized their northern front, and sent troops to occupy Lithuania. The Commonwealth's military capacity had been completely destroyed by then. This didn't deter Victoria from taking personal command of her legions, though.
2016-02-08_00010.jpg
2016-02-08_00013.jpg
Wilhelm Otto attacked a berserker army that was besieging Tsarberg and routed it, inflicting thousands of casualties on the Norse in the process. More and more strategic cities fell to the Reich as the Ming destroyed Ternate's neighbor, Tidore.
2016-02-08_00019.jpg
2016-02-08_00020.jpg
In December of 1707, the Commonwealth sued for peace after what remained of the Lithuanian army was devastated in a battle with Wilhelm Otto. The Lithuanian diplomats pleaded with the Kaiserin, offering to cede large amounts of land to the Russians and paying war indemnities. Victoria simply told them to grovel before her and publicly acknowledge Roman superiority and hegemony, which they then did. The next day, the Second Treaty of Lublin went into effect.
2016-02-08_00021.jpg
2016-02-08_00022.jpg
Purism was eradicated for the third time.
2016-02-08_00028.jpg
The legions that were fighting in the Commonwealth were ordered to invade Finland. Wilhelm Otto led the charge, destroying berserker armies at Kexholm and Tsarberg.
2016-02-08_00030.jpg
2016-02-08_00035.jpg
But this wouldn't be enough to defeat the Norse, so Victoria called in the Kanatans and ordered the implementation of the Modern Firearms Act.
2016-02-08_00036.jpg
2016-02-08_00037.jpg
2016-02-08_00054.jpg
Julie d'Aubigny made the crossing from Denmark into Sweden. Along the way, she encountered a berserker army which attempted to stop her. There were no survivors on the enemy side.
2016-02-08_00056.jpg
King Eskild I af Steinvikholm of Kanata made landings in Norway, occupying several provinces and humiliating the berserker armies they came across. How did the colonies manage to best their motherland? some Norse wondered. Fylkja Asta sent diplomats to negotiate peace with the Romans, but Victoria refused. If there was to be peace, it would be on her own terms.
2016-02-08_00063.jpg
2016-02-08_00066.jpg
Advances in technology continued in the meantime, and they were put to good use in the war effort.
2016-02-08_00067.jpg
By August of 1710, all of the mainland was occupied by Roman troops, with only Iceland unoccupied. The occupation was so devastating and thorough that the peasants themselves were rebelling. Meanwhile, Roman citizens were developing more efficient methods of production instead of rebelling.
2016-02-08_00088.jpg
2016-02-08_00091.jpg
Finally, on 17 October 1711, Victoria sent a peace offer. Yavdi was to regain its ports in Archangelsk. The Fylkirate was to cede Holstein, Hamburg, Lubeck, Lauenburg, and Orkney to the Reich. The Commonwealth would transfer trade power to the Reich instead of the Fylkirate. It was devastating victory for the Reich, one that would be celebrated for years to come.
2016-02-08_00100.jpg

It always bothered me that you didn't own Holstein, but now that's been fixed.

It seems that when the Reich declares the war, they do way better than when a minor partner.

Russia benefits from the Baltic-Slavic Union's ruin and Scandinavia's loss not only helps Yavdi, but finally the Reich gains more territory. A wonderful resolution to the war. Maybe the Commonwealth will return to being a buffer state by V2? It'd be a nice turnaround after humbling the Reich so many times.

Chapter 135: Absolutism

"You know, I've always wanted to scream 'UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!' at some point."
-Victoria II, upon being told she was an absolutist

"No! We do not need the Reich's assistance! They're too far away anyways! What do you mean that they're in Malaya? That's still too far away! We are glorious Nippon! God will grant us victory over the pagan Chinese! Chinese cannons cannot melt Kyoto's walls! ...or not."
-Shogun Shiba Ietsugu, as Chinese and Korean troops besieged Nara and Kyoto

After centuries of Norse rule, Hamburg and Lubeck were back under Roman control. Victoria set to work integrating the two major port cities into the Reich, adding them to Provincia Germania. It would take years, as her bureaucracy was quite overextended in the aftermath of the Glorious War. The directors of the Hanseatic Trade Company decided to build a large crane in Lubeck, known as the Lubeck "Krantor," to help merchants load and unload their wares. In addition, after the Commonwealth declared a war against the former Norse protectorate of the Duchy of Abenaki, the Bureau of the Navy commissioned a new flagship, dubbed the "Adler von Lubeck," although it was actually named something in Thai. Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Fox crushed the Alliance and forced Tenochtitlan to cede most of its northern territories. The Reich wasn't concerned much with the rise of Fox, as it could easily contained by either Kanata or Jin...theoretically.
2016-02-08_00102.jpg
2016-02-08_00103.jpg
2016-02-08_00105.jpg
A diplomatic incident in Vietnam occurred when local merchants in Hue decided to band together to expel the highly successful Roman merchants. After some intervention by the Bureau of Trade, the merchants were allowed to stay but kept a lower profile. The government, however, was more concerned with several publications that were circulating in the cities. These publications were anonymous and typed, preventing authorities from identifying their writer or writers. But what was so dangerous about these publications was not their anonymity but their content. They denounced the government as "autocratic" and even "despotic," demanding that the Diet be granted significant power in the government as codified in a constitution, which would replace the Augustinian Code. Victoria, sensing a threat to her power, ordered the publications banned, but her bureaucracy was too busy integrating the conquered Norse territories, so she settled for making vague and empty promises of reform.
2016-02-09_00034.jpg
2016-02-09_00035.jpg
On 26 June 1712, the Ming dynasty commenced Operation Setting Sun, a full-scale invasion of the Japanese mainland to destroy the Shiba Shogunate and annex its lands into the growing Chinese empire.
2016-02-09_00036.jpg
In response to the "Demand for Representation" publications, some nobles published and spread their own propaganda, proclaiming that the policy of "serfdom" and the resulting exploitation of the lower class drove up productivity. The irony was that serfdom didn't exist at all. This did nothing to alleviate the problem, and Victoria ordered the nobles to pay a fine and "emancipate" their "serfs."
2016-02-09_00037.jpg
Julie d'Aubigny died on 9 April 1713. She was buried in her hometown in Gallia, her funeral attended by thousands of grateful citizens. However, merely a week later, another publication surfaced, proclaiming that Victoria was an absolutist. Rather than crack down on the publication, Victoria embraced the idea of absolutism, ordering a reorganization of the administration to increase her own power and the government's efficiently and expanding the Varangian Guard to eighty thousand men. She restructured the government around the legions, making the Reich even more militaristic. Her reasoning was that "we have to be ready when the Lithuanians and Norse attack." The absolutism served to increase the military power of the Reich and to reinforce its hegemony over Europe as well as crush any dissent with ease.
2016-02-09_00040.jpg
2016-02-09_00041.jpg
Naturally, the Liberals, as the writers of the "Demands for Representation" publications had become known as, were angered by Victoria's adoption of absolutism. They continued to publish their documents, and Victoria continued to ignore them and make vague promises. She knew her legions would be able to crush any Liberals who were idiotic enough to rebel.
2016-02-09_00044.jpg
By 17 October 1713, Operation Setting Sun was largely complete. The Shiba Shogunate's samurai armies were completely crushed under hordes of Chinese and Korean soldiers. The numerous daimyo castles were blasted to pieces by Chinese cannons, and the countryside was thoroughly looted. Victoria sent a letter to Shogun Shiba Ietsugu offering assistance, but the shogun refused, claiming that the Reich was "too far away to make a difference." Instead, Ietsugu surrendered to the Chinese. Under the terms of the Treaty of Shimonoseki, the First Sino-Japanese War ended with Japan paying harsh war indemnities to the Ming dynasty and ceding every bit of land aside from Kyoto itself and the port city of Owari. A ten year truce was established, and the Ming emperor warned Ietsugu that as soon as the truce expired, Japan was dead. Ietsugu didn't worry about this at all. At least he was still alive and Japan was still independent...for now.
2016-02-09_00046.jpg
Wilhelm Otto died in November of 1713, and the General Staff was emptied again. The Bureau of War had to find new commanders to lead the legions in preparation of the next war with the Commonwealth. A few months later, the Albanians decided to become Iconoclasts. The Inquisition took only seven months to eradicate all of the Iconoclast heretics for good.
2016-02-09_00048.jpg
2016-02-09_00049.jpg
Martin Julian, an advisor to Megas Domestikos Georgios Dalassenos, developed new siege tactics and defensive fortifications. Julian was a veteran of the Glorious War with the Commonwealth and Fylkirate and knew exactly how to design fortresses capable of defending against enemy attacks and develop tactics to quickly take enemy defenses.
2016-02-09_00052.jpg
However, rumors spread that Julian's new defenses were flawed, with some nobles demanding that Victoria abandon them in favor of older strategies. They also demanded the same of the new methods of production. Victoria simply ignored them, having taken ill while commanding troops in a military exercise.
2016-02-09_00054.jpg
It turned out that her illness was a very serious one, and there were very few physicians in the area able to treat her, as she was off leading war games. She returned to Berlin ahead of schedule, where her physicians attempted to help her, but the disease was relentless and worsened. On 30 July 1714, Victoria II passed away and was succeeded by her daughter, who was crowned Kaiserin Wilhelmina III.
2016-02-09_00056.jpg

Who cares if all of the Reich's power lies in the Kaiser when the nation is absurdly wealthy, powerful, and accepting of several faiths and cultures? Embrace the Absolutism!

Japan is nearly dead, the territory mostly divided between Korea and Ming. Now we just need Korea and Ming to unite under one banner so we have cleaner borders.

Chapter 136: Yet Another Persian War

"Name him Aaron. Raise him as a noble and as a member of the court, but he is not to be included in the succession."
-Wilhelmina III, upon discovering a child in the reeds

"Once these blasted canals are complete, we won't have to sail around Africa anymore...or Denmark for that matter."
-A Hansa executive

Expecting the new Kaiserin to be weak-willed and not prepared for the Throne, nobles demanded privileges from Wilhelmina, but she refused. Instead, she presided over liturgical reforms to strengthen the Church.
2016-02-10_00003.jpg
2016-02-10_00004.jpg
In 1717, India invaded Persia in a war of imperialism, calling hte Reich to war with it.
2016-02-10_00006.jpg
2016-02-10_00007.jpg
As a result of the Reich's skillful diplomacy used in signing the anti-Persian alliance, many other countries began seeing the Reich as having a higher reputation than usual.
2016-02-10_00008.jpg
The initial Indian invasion force was defeated by a Persian army, but by the the Roman legions were in position and invading from the west and south. Meanwhile, Wilhelmina authorized more Germans to settle in Carpathia to increase the regions productivity. She also attended opera performances showing off the Reich's most talented performers.
2016-02-10_00009.jpg
2016-02-10_00010.jpg
2016-02-10_00011.jpg
One day, while hunting, she came across a baby boy in the reeds. Some advisors recommended that he be made the heir to the throne, which Wilhelmina vetoed. He would be raised as a minor noble but not considered in the imperial succession.
2016-02-10_00012.jpg
Lubeck was brought fully into the Reich in June of 1718, and the incorporation of the conquered Norse themes was completed. The legions were also making progress on the Persian front. Isfahan fell in October, around the same time that Tawatinsuyu sued for peace with the Alliance again, ceding even more territory.
2016-02-10_00014.jpg
2016-02-10_00017.jpg
2016-02-10_00018.jpg
Hormuz fell in May 1719, and by then half of Persia was under Roman occupation. The legions hadn't enjoyed this much success since the days of Heraclius.
2016-02-10_00021.jpg
2016-02-10_00024.jpg
2016-02-10_00027.jpg
After two battles in which the bulk of the Persian army was destroyed, the Shahanshah surrendered to the Samrajni Chakravartin in the winter of 1720, who imposed harsh terms on the Persians, and the Reich returned to peace. A few weeks later, Wilhelmina gave birth to a daughter.
2016-02-10_00029.jpg
2016-02-10_00030.jpg
In March of 1722, the Jin launched an invasion of the weakened Alliance. The Mexica had moved the majority of their armies to their southern borders and as such were not prepared for the Jin offensive. Much of their northern altepetls were overrun instantly. Meanwhile, Yavdi invaded Persia again, and a salt crisis broke out in the Reich that was skillfully managed by the Bureau of Economics.
2016-02-11_00002.jpg
2016-02-11_00006.jpg
2016-02-11_00009.jpg
The demands for representation just kept on coming, and Wilhelmina continued her mother's policies of making vague promises of reform without actually doing anything.
2016-02-11_00010.jpg
Persia sued for peace in 1724, and Yavdi just took one province off the Zoroastrians, surprisingly, given how aggressive Yavdi was in the last war.
2016-02-11_00011.jpg
The Bureau of War made advances in infantry organization and tactics, while the Bureau of Innovation began research into the idea of "constitutionalism." A constitution may be rubbish, but there was much the Reich could learn from it, including how to counter it. Wilhelmina began investing heavily in the Bureau of the Navy and the Bureau of Trade.
2016-02-11_00013.jpg
2016-02-11_00015.jpg
2016-02-11_00016.jpg
In August of 1725, she issued an impossible order to workers in Kiel and Suez: build canals that link the Baltic Sea and the Atlantic and the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean. The Bureau of Finances protested this as impossible works of engineering, but Wilhelmina went ahead with the plan. If successful, the canals would bring much prestige and revenue to the Reich.
2016-02-11_00017.jpg
2016-02-11_00018.jpg
The Mexica sued for peace with the Jin in October of 1725, losing much of their northern territories. It was clear that the Jin were becoming the dominant power in Cemanahuac now...
2016-02-11_00019.jpg
In April of 1726, the Russians started another war involving the Fylkirate...only they declared war directly on the Commonwealth itself. The Romans eagerly joined the war and carried on the centuries-old tradition of beating up the Lithuanians and Norse.
2016-02-11_00024.jpg

Persia grows weaker with every passing war. Won't be long until the Reich has a new neighbor...

Jin knocking the Triple Alliance around is nice. If they keep up their recent success, Jin might end up the major power of both North America and eastern Asia.

Another war with the Commonwealth and Scandinavia. I swear, Russia has dragged you into more wars than every other ally at this point. They better all but worship the Kaiserin.

The number of female rulers and heirs is ridiculous. I'm surprised the Hohenzollern family hasn't gone extinct with no male heirs. The inbreeding must be insane to keep the family name alive. :p

I see it's time for the semi-annual Reich & Russia vs Scandinavia & Lithuania war.

The number of female rulers and heirs is ridiculous. I'm surprised the Hohenzollern family hasn't gone extinct with no male heirs. The inbreeding must be insane to keep the family name alive. :p

I see it's time for the semi-annual Reich & Russia vs Scandinavia & Lithuania war.
There has been no inbreeding, only absolute cognatic primogeniture. The Hohenzollerns aren't the Habsburgs, after all. I bet there's some complicated succession procedures to keep the line from dying out as well. But the Hohenzollerns aren't Habsburgs. They're...better than that.;)

Reactions:
There has been no inbreeding, only absolute cognatic primogeniture. The Hohenzollerns aren't the Habsburgs, after all. I bet there's some complicated succession procedures to keep the line from dying out as well. But the Hohenzollerns aren't Habsburgs. They're...better than that.;)
Well, yeah. They proved that when they beat them in the War of the Austrian Succession, the 7 Years War, and the 7 Weeks War.

Well, yeah. They proved that when they beat them in the War of the Austrian Succession, the 7 Years War, and the 7 Weeks War.
Not to mention the Austro-Prussian war over Schleswig-Holstein. The Habsburgs here by comparison are quite loyal to the Hohenzollerns (for example, Otto von Habsburg in 1616)
Oh, and by the way, in the CKII portion there has been absolutely no inbreeding or incest done by either the Hohenzollerns or the Habsburgs (that I'm aware of). Thus the line is free of any genetic impurities (though illegitimate children is another issue due to CKII's broken seduction mechanic).

Reactions: