• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER XXXV - A TIME TO REJOICE

The entire realm had gathered in the capital to celebrate our victory over the Tenochcah invaders. It was a monumental occasion, the likes of which the Seven Kingdoms had never seen. We had been fully united for the first time in our history, and now we celebrated that unity with feasting, jousting and a fair, so that any man, woman and child, from the highest to the lowest born, could celebrate. Our victory would go down in history, our feats would never be forgotten.

To mark the beginning of the tourney, a grand feast was held, where every lord and lady of Westeros would gather and break bread, to celebrate together, in this time of peace. Dozens of large tables dotted almost the entirety of the yards between the great walls of the Red Keep, and Maegor's Holdfast. Where normally the colors of House Targaryen would fly over a feast in the capital, this victory belonged to all houses of Westeros. The white and grey of the Starks, the blue of the Arryns and Tullys, the green and gold of the Tyrells, and even the Red, white and orange of the Conningtons and Martells, who had not long ago rebelled against the crown, decorated the walls, tables and banners. Everyone was made to feel welcome this day, and everyone's contribution to the war would be honored as such.

At the feast, Lord Trystane had pulled me aside to inform me of his plans to step down as my Hand of the King. He was an aging man now, and longed to return to Sunspear, where he could see out the remainder of his days there, where he belonged. I honored his request, and allowed him to step down. The Martells ensured my ancestor could reclaim his throne over fifty years ago, and Trystane had served me well for many years. It was a loss to the courts of King's Landing, and to the realm, but one that I had to endure. As such, a search for a new hand began, and with everyone gathered in the capital, it was, admittedly, a relatively short one.

During the celebrations, I called for quiet and stood before the crowd to address them. My every word was met with a cheer, but I did not bask in them. I may have led our forces to victory, but it was these very men that fought beside me to achieve it. Every cheer was as much theirs as it was mine. "My lords, my ladies." I said. "I am sad to say that my Lord Hand, Trystane Martell, has announced his desire to resign from his position, and return home to Sunspear. Lord Trystane has served honorably as my Hand for many years, and has done the realm a great service. He deserves the respect of us all, for there are few men more worthy of it. To Lord Trystane, may his days be long and fulfilled!"

I raised my glass to the man, and the rest of the crowd followed suit with a "hear hear!" of their own. Trystane nodded politely before I addressed them once more.

"Now, with the loss of one Hand, a new one must take his place. I look out into the sea of faces before me, and see many men worthy of such an honor. Lord Stark, who remaining true to his people in their darkest hour." The Northern lords in attendance slammed their fists on their tables to show support for their liege. "Lord Tully, who so boldly held the Riverlands for months on end, allowing the Army of the Star time to arrive at the Neck to serve justice upon our enemies!" The entire crowd bellowed in support of Lord Harsley, none more louder than the River lords. "Any king would be so lucky as to count any one of you as their friend, let alone all of you. Each and every one of you has my thanks, but, there is one who has supported me longer than any, one who has been at my side since the day we were both boys. Lord Maelor!" I called, before my brother- sat no farther than twenty feet to my right- stood, shocked. "I would name you Hand of the King!" The crowed roared in support.

gi9LJVr.png

The next day, the Tourney of the Star began. Thirty two of the greatest knights, and most noble lords, of the Seven Kingdoms faced off for honor and glory. The tilts lasted for seven days, and with each passing day, the numbers dwindled. While the jousts went on, multiple melees took place, with various men claiming victory, and the prize that accompanied it. The men fought tooth and nail against one another in the dirt, the archers attempted to best one another with their precision, and the knights worked to unseat each other from their mounts, all in the name of glory, and a bit of gold. It was a joyous affair, and every man, woman and child in attendance could be seen laughing, conversing and celebrating appropriately.

By the last day, the melees had ended, the archery was over, and only two men remained left atop their horses in the lanes. Ser Balon Estermont, a relatively large man, skilled with a mace and a lance, and Ser Aemon Snow, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and one of the finest knights the realm had ever seen. Though Ser Balon was large, he looked small next to the Lord Commander. Even in his advanced years, Ser Aemon was remarkably intimidating, and still incredibly formidable in battle and in the lanes. If I was a betting man, I would have put my money on him. Luckily, I was not. In their fourth tilt, Ser Balon's lance found its mark, knocking the Lord Commander into the dirt. Ser Balon was named victor, and the crowded cheered in his name. "I have seldom seen the Lord Commander bested." I told the man, "you have my congratulations, Ser Balon, I hope you spend your winnings wisely."

yudWfkC.png

With the week of the tourney concluded, attention now switched to the summer fair. The distraction of the tourney gave the merchants and peddlers plenty of time to set themselves up for the fair, to bring in their finest wares, to sell to those in attendance. It was a fantastic opportunity for them, many had never met a lord, and yet now they had each and every one from across the Seven Kingdoms all within walking distance of their stalls. Some stood to make a fortune, others, a modest take, but all would leave with more gold in their purses than they had arrived with, and so all were in hearty spirits.

Merchants from within the Seven Kingdoms showed off their finest wares. Great blades and polished bows were sold by some, Dornish and Arbor wines sold by others. Even merchants from across the Narrow Sea attended. Fine tapestries from Lys and Qohor, glassware and lace from Myr and Armor from Tyrosh were all on display in the grounds. The sounds of merchants flaunting their goods was stupendous, and drowned out any other noises to be heard within a good distance of the fair. Dances, perfomers, musicians and poets dotted the stalls and lanes, performing for those in attendance. Some sought patronage with a noted lord, others sought only coin, yet all were entertaining to bear witness to.

As I made my way through the lanes of stalls, each and every merchant attempted to peddle me their goods. I smiled courteously, but waved them off. I told them that I was not there to purchase, but merely there to enjoy the festivities, and that many a lord and lady after me would no doubt be interested in some of their wares. Before long, the enjoyment turned sour, as the Lord Commander came running down the lane towards me. "We've caught some thieves your Grace, attempting to sell stolen wares, you'll... You'll want to come see this." He said. We made our way hurriedly towards where the incident occurred. Four men, stood in the arms of eight of the Gold cloaks, not far from their stall at the fair. I scanned them before I realized what as on the floor beside them.

Donned in his white armor, the upper portions of his cloak now pink, due to the onset of blood around him, Ser Tyron Peckledon of the Kingsguard lay dead in the street, butchered by the four men now in custody. According to the Lord Commander, it was Ser Tyron that had discovered the stolen goods, and confronted the merchants. In a straight fight, even the elderly Kingsguard would have felled the four of them with ease, but a dagger to the neck from behind was enough to kill the man in moments. An honor-less death for an honorable knight. I did not speak to the men in custody, but only to the Lord Commander. "They murdered a sworn knight of the Kingsguard," I said, "hang them. When you are done, find Ser Terrence, and bring him to the Great Hall, I wish to speak with him."

8nDYvKi.png

I departed the fair and made my way to the Great Hall. I sat on the throne and waited for the Lord Commander's return, anxiously tapping my fist against one of the arms of the Iron Throne. The murder of Ser Tyron had left me enraged, but I knew that out in the yard, justice was being served. Before long, the doors flew open and Lord Commander Aemon approached me with a young man at his side. As they reached the steps of the throne, the young man knelt before me. "Ser Terrence," I said, "I wish to congratulate you on your showing in the melee today. Defeating some of the finest knights in the realm, and at such a young age, is no simple task."

"Thank you, your Grace, I am most honored." He replied.

"Good, good. But I would like to honor you further. Stand, if you please." Ser Terrence stood. The young man, barely twenty, was tall and lean, but exceptional with a blade. Where Lord Commander Aemon was strong and powerful, Ser Terrence was swift and agile, capable of cutting down men in a flurry of strikes. "You have no lands nor titles to your name, correct?" The young knight nodded. "Nor are you set to inherit any?" Ser Terrence nodded again. "Good. That makes my offer to you all the more plain. Ser Terrence, an unfortunate incident has left me short on Kingsguard, I would like to offer you the position. I can think of no man in the capital more worthy of it. Do you accept?"

The young knight knelt so fast that his knee cracked against the stone floor, and echoed throughout the hall. "Your Grace, it would be the highest honor to serve in your Kingsguard."

X2VvTPe.png

"Good. Rise then, Ser Terrence of the Kingsguard. Lord Commander, take your new brother to the Tower, find him a new cloak." I said, as the Lord Commander nodded and departed with Ser Terrence. A smile had returned to my face, but I had not forgotten about Ser Tyron. I made the arrangements for his body to be returned to Peckledon, where his family could bury and morn for him appropriately. I penned a letter to them personally, thanking them for the service of Ser Tyron, and ensuring them that he would never be forgotten. After that, I made my way back out to the fair. It was hard to be happy after such a miserable event, but I had responsibilities as king, and it was expected of me to be present, and so I made my way to the yard, and donned a smile on my face once more.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Brave, Skilled and Humble? A great choice for the White Cloaks. Although the King's choice in Hand leaves something to be desired, as touching as it was. Oh well heres hoping for a century of peace (or not)

some little unrest is always welcome... even if it comes from your own blood

Brave, Skilled and Humble? A great choice for the White Cloaks. Although the King's choice in Hand leaves something to be desired, as touching as it was. Oh well heres hoping for a century of peace (or not)

I agree, on both accounts. I feel like Ser Terrence will make a great Kingsguard, for many years to come, and although Maelor isn't great for the role, he is my brother, and he is loyal.

some little unrest is always welcome... even if it comes from your own blood

After what happened the last time 'my blood' decided for a 'little unrest', I'd rather not have it happen again, thanks. :p

While I do like the in-character aspect of it, it's a bit detrimental to have Maelor as Hand, as I'm pretty sure his low skill will make you lose almost any trial, which is a shame. A nice gesture, though.

On an unrelated note, I got to thinking. The aztecs were infamous for their use of obsidian blades and weapons. I doubt the mod goes into such detail, but it would be pretty cool if an army of obsidian-wielding warriors from the West took to butchering the White Walkers XD

CHAPTER XXXVI - A PRINCELY AFFAIR

The realm had been at peace for the first time in many years. As far north as the Wall, and as far south as the Arbor, all seemed well. Yet, as one might guess based on the history of the continent, the peace didn't last. Infighting resumed shortly after the celebrations in the capital. Lady Delena Tyrell had not been the most popular ruler in the Reach, and now her vassals were making that sentiment known. Twelve lords from the Reach rose up in revolt against Lady Delena, pressing the claim of her uncle, Lord Canther. Lord Canther was a mysterious man, and admittedly I knew little of him, yet most of the Reach had now risen to seat him in his niece's place, so he was obviously a man of at least some note. The fighting didn't last long. After a few months, Lady Delena's forces were beaten near Bitterbridge, and the armies of Oldtown and the Shield Isles marched directly on Highgarden to accept her surrender. Lord Canther was seated, and the Reach found itself with a new Lord Paramount. No doubt Lady Delena would be incensed by my... absence, yet it would not have been wise to press my authority against the majority of the Reach. Besides, Lady Delena's marriage would have seen Highgarden pass to a house of little note, and this way, the Tyrells would keep their seat, through the male line.

UIYbyZs.png

Shortly after the revolt in the Reach, a fourth son was born to me. Baelor, we called him. He was noticeably small, even as a newborn, but he was born healthy and happy, and a father could not ask for more. Four sons, although easier to raise, left me with no daughters thus far. My firstborn's sixteenth nameday was not a year away, and I had no daughters to wed him to. A pure marriage would have been preferable, but the Targaryen line has endured far greater challenges. A match outside of the family would be needed, and I got to work looking for someone suitable. The search did not last long, as a suitable candidate lay just off the coast from the capital, in Driftmark.

Viserra Velaryon was of an age with Aerys, and as a member of House Velaryon, shared in the Valyrian blood of our ancestors. There had been many instances in the past where the Seahorse had married the Dragon, and by wedding Viserra to Aenys, such an exalted alliance would exist once more. As expected, the marriage was accepted, and Viserra made her way to King's Landing. The ceremony would be held during the eight moon of the year, to coincide with Aerys' sixteenth nameday, and would last for a fortnight. The lords and ladies of the Seven Kingdoms would be invited to attend, to witness the heir to the Iron Throne wed. It would be a time for cheer, and would hopefully bring smiles back to the faces of the masses, so shortly after the disruption in the Reach.

0ZqXX2J.png

The festivities were going along smoothly, and all in attendance seemed to be enjoying the occasion. At the Great Sept of Baelor, everyone gathered in the light of the Seven to witness the sealing of the marriage. Aerys draped the colors of our house over the shoulders of Viserra, said the words, and took her under his protection. The guests rejoiced, and I looked on with glee. There stood my eldest son and heir, the future of our house and the Seven Kingdoms. He was a man grown now, and would soon begin a family of his own. Viserra would hopefully produce many sons and daughters for Aerys, who would go on to achieve great things in their own right. It was a good day for our family, and an even better one for a proud father. Yet, there was still something I had planned, something to make the day even more special.

9SM7Zf9.png

After the sealing of the marriage in the Great Sept, everyone gathered in the courtyard of the Red Keep to feast. Dozens of tables and hundreds of guests filled the cobbled courtyard, with the center section serving as the seating area for Aerys and his new bride. I sat at the table with them, but did not take center stage, as it was not my day, but theirs. Throughout the afternoon, lords and ladies alike approached the table, offering up their prince and new princess gifts, in hopes of pleasing them, and potentially winning favor. Most brought fine silverware, some brought jewels for the princess, and the more... learned brought with them books, to pass on their own knowledge to Aerys and his wife. My son, ever the humble and gregarious one, accepted each gift, both great and small, with equal grace and courtesy. He will be a good king some day, I thought. The future of the throne is in good hands.

When most gifts had been received, and the feasting had been underway for some hours, I took my turn to bring out my own gift. I made my way out from behind the table, and addressed the crowd, and my son.

"My son" I began, "may I be one of the first to wish you and your new bride a long and happy life. May the Mother nurture you, and may the Father stand ever vigil over you both." With almost every sentence I uttered, the crowd applauded. One of the many... perks, of being king. Nevertheless, I continued.

"Many before my have brought you many great gifts, but allow me to present my own. Aerax!" Over the years, I had grown a special bond with the beast, and he with me. We understood each other, perhaps through our shared blood. As I shouted his name and clapped my hands, the golden dragon emerged from the skies, landing in the center of the courtyard, mere feet from Aerys and his startled wife. In his mouth was a chain, and attached to that chain was a chest. The dragon rested the chest on the cobbled floor, and as I comforted him, two courtiers approached, unhooked the chest, and placed it before the prince.

Leaving Aerax where he was, I approached the chest, and spoke again. "This" I said, "Is my gift to you, my son." I opened the chest to reveal its contents. A red velvet pillow filled most of the chest, yet what sat atop that pillow was the true gift. A piece of parchment, rolled and kept in place by my personal seal, and an egg, larger than that of any regular animal. It was evident to all who saw it what it was. Not long before, Aerax had left a single egg in the Dragonpit, and I kept the information to myself, waiting for an opportune moment to reveal it. The sixteenth nameday and wedding of the heir to the Seven Kingdoms seemed appropriate. Lifting it out of the chest, I took the egg in my hands and approached my son.

"Now, this egg is but stone, hard and dormant. Yet, if you care for it, and follow the correct path, the gift of life will one day ignite within the shell, and the gods themselves will marvel at what will one day emerge from within. This, I give to you, may it serve you well, as mine has for so many years."

MlKQeUh.png

The crowd erupted into applause as Aerys took the egg, and lifted it over his head. Yet, that was still not all I had planned. Grabbing the parchment from within the chest, I handed it to Aerys.

"While I have already given you the gift of an egg of stone, I hope to offer you something else, just as grand. I have already given you the egg, but now I offer you the nest, a place to raise and nurture it, and a family of your own." I turned slightly, so that all those in attendance could hear what I was to say. "By my royal decree, Dragonstone, the ancestral seat of our house, is yours my son. May it serve you well."

Aerys bowed his head slightly, the grin etched across his face, but said nothing. It would have been for naught, as the sound of rapturous applause would have drowned out any attempts of conversation. Dragonstone had a new prince.

MsgJzQH.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Eh, in my Aegon VI games I'm always hesitant when having heirs named Aerys pop up. If it's outside my control, fine, but I almost never let the random name generate up an Aerys. I always figure that the Targaryens, even if they managed to return, would never be so bold as to bring back to memory the name of the Mad King.

Reactions:
This Aerys seems to be far better prepared than his namesakes, though the last Aerys came to the throne as a promising young man too... Anyway, I thought Connington refused to return Dragonstone, before the Aztecs invaded?

On a side note, does this make Aerax a female? As I gathered from the wiki, there's no real biological way to tell dragon genders apart, so they usually just assumed the ones who laid eggs were female.

Great! the depressed trait worries me a little though

Eh, in my Aegon VI games I'm always hesitant when having heirs named Aerys pop up. If it's outside my control, fine, but I almost never let the random name generate up an Aerys. I always figure that the Targaryens, even if they managed to return, would never be so bold as to bring back to memory the name of the Mad King.

Eh, I've juggled the thought too. On one hand, the Mad King comes to mind, but on the other hand, it's just a great Valyrian name. As someone who is a stickler for lore, I don't really enjoy it when names get too out of the ordinary, and so I like to cycle through a number of well-established Valyrian/Targ names. Aerys just happens to be one of them.

This Aerys seems to be far better prepared than his namesakes, though the last Aerys came to the throne as a promising young man too... Anyway, I thought Connington refused to return Dragonstone, before the Aztecs invaded?

On a side note, does this make Aerax a female? As I gathered from the wiki, there's no real biological way to tell dragon genders apart, so they usually just assumed the ones who laid eggs were female.

That was part of the stipulation for peace. I didn't get into it much, because I wanted the more narrative-driven part I released, but obviously when I pressed for Dragonstone, that's what led to the conflict. I was at 100% warscore, and had the Conningtons surrender, and the Aztec invasion actually didn't occur right as it happened. If I recall correctly, the Riverlands were already a few months into their defence against the Aztecs, when I beat the Stormlands.

For the sake of the story, I shaped it into something that- I thought- was a bit more interesting. A 'parlay' between the Targaryens and the Conningtons, that brought them back into the fold with little to no punishment, in return for help against the Aztecs. Though, because things don't work like that in game, I technically just beat them in a separate war, and took back Dragonstone. :)

And no, I don't think it does. I believe dragons aren't thought of as genderless, I believe they actually are genderless. From what I understand, there are no females or males, they just act as whichever one when appropriate. So Aerax is part-time alpha male, part time momma, full time badass. :D

Great! the depressed trait worries me a little though

Yeah... It gets much worse.

Actually, if we base it off of Danearys's own knowledge on the subject, it's possible that, by now, the whole "Mad King" thing would be cast off as untrue slander. Aerys II was just misunderstood, and the evil Baratheons abused their evil propaganda to overthrow him, as he was a just and wise ruler.

Last edited:
CHAPTER XXXVII - WHITE STAINED RED

So, as CK2 often is, there was a number of things happening in my game, but not enough, and not close enough together, for me to write them into proper chapters. As such, I've taken a small jump forward in time, (I think 5 or so years, though I'm honestly not sure, I haven't played the save in ages). Here are a few of the things that happened in between Chapter XXXVI and Chapter XXXVII...

• Trystane Martell died, and was succeeded by his son, Bors. After two months of rule, Bors Martell died in a duel against Ricasso Toland, leaving Dorne to his young son Alaric Martell. Through the inter-marriages of House Connington and House Martell, there is now a huge power struggle between the two great houses, both vying for control over both the Stormlands and Dorne.
  • Around the same time, Lester Connington died of an illness, his son Narbert inheriting the Stormlands from him.
  • A daughter named Vaera was born to King Aemond and his wife.
  • Lord Commander Aemon was murdered by an unknown assailant, and Ser Deziel died shortly after. They were replaced by Sers Devan Overstone and Petyr Pitchford, with Ser Royce becoming Lord Commander.
  • My brother Maelys died of severe stress.
  • With four sons and one daughter to his name, Aemond began to think of how he lacked daughters for his sons to wed. As such, he began an affair with a lowborn named Ceryse, in hopes of producing more daughters.
  • A son named Aemon was born to King Aemond and his wife, while his mistress produced a daughter named Rhaella.
  • King Aemond's mother now rode the dragon Egros, (I honestly can't remember where this dragon came from.)
  • Aerys hatched and tamed his dragon, named Daerax.
For many years now, the Lords of the Stormlands had been vying to expand their lands, everyone of note in the capital knew of it. Lester Connington had set his sights on Massey's Hook many years ago, attempting to bring the lands back under the control of Storm's End, where they had been until the Conqueror showed up centuries ago. When Lord Lester passed, his son and heir, Narbert, did not hesitate to take up his father's ambitions, and make them his own. It came as little surprise then when Lord Narbert raised his forces to claim Massey's Hook as his own, but what did surprise was his determination in his efforts.

When news reached of the Stormlanders marching on the Hook, I immediately sent word for Lord Narbert to stand down, lest he be branded an enemy of the realm. His father and I had had our problems in the past, and perhaps it was this fact that lead the young Connington to make the decision he did. Rather than accepting my terms, House Connington rose up against the throne, and not for the first time. I called forth the armies of the Crownlands, in preparation for a march against Storm's End. However, I did not take command myself, instead, I offered my son and heir an opportunity. Aerys was given command of the royal armies, and with Daerax beneath him, Aerys would bring another Connington to heel, hopefully for the last time.

KcwhLzj.png

The crown's first encounter with the storm lords came near Galemont Fort, where we engaged a small Connington host, half the size of our own. Aerys took command of the center, fighting on horseback while two of the Kingsguard accompanying him led either flank. Holding a numerical advantage of over two-to-one, the battle was an easy victory for the crown. A resounding success, reports sent from Aerys indicated that the crown lost less than one thousand men, while the Conningtons lost nearly six thousand. Morale was high and a large portion of the armies of Storm's End were crushed. Now, only a small force remained, still numbering some thousands less than what Aerys had brought with him to the Stormlands. Before long, Narbert Connington would be kneeling before me as fast as he had thought to slight me.

le3qIIV.png

Though the battle had proved a resounding success, it was not without cost. Though most men had survived, a select number of vital men had perished. As some of the most skilled and famed warriors in the Seven Kingdoms, the Kingsguard often led the armies of the crown in days past. As such, I had sent four of the Kingsguard with my son, to help him in his war efforts, the other three remaining in King's Landing to guard the royal family. So few men had been lost in the battle, yet each Kingsguard knight sent was counted among the dead, the white of their cloaks stained red. Lord Commander Royce was the first to fall. After the Lord Commander's death, Ser Jonn acted as de-facto Lord Commander on the field, but fell to a volley of arrows shortly after his predecessor. Ser Devan and Ser Petyr, the two newest knights of the Kingsguard, did not survive to see the day's end either. It was a monumental loss, one that damaged the high spirits of the army, seeing four of the finest knights in the realm cut down in a single battle.

When word of their demise reached the capital, I set about finding replacements. In a strange turn of fates, young Ser Terrence was now the most senior member of the Kingsguard, and I named him Lord Commander in recognition of that. To replace those fallen, Sers Symeon, Colen, Beren and Owen were named as the four new members of the Kingsguard, restoring their ranks to the traditional seven. There were few instances in history where the Kingsguard had to essentially be built from nothing, but a Targaryen king always found a way to make history, one way or another. I had decreed that the newest members would not travel to the Stormlands to aid Aerys, but instead, all seven would remain in the capital, where they belonged. Perhaps the Conningtons viewed this as a slight victory on their part, but the real victories belonged to us, and those were won on the battlefield.

Those loyal to House Connington that had survived the battle at Galemont fled south, linking up with the second army that had been gathering near Stone Helm. At full force, the Stormlands could call upon twenty five thousand men, yet seven of those had been crushed before they could even fully assemble in the northern Stormlands. As such, less than half of the twenty five thousand they could muster remained, and they had been gathering to the south, in preparation for a march north. By the time they had reached the northern half of the Stormlands, they received the news that half their army had been defeated already, and so they took up a defensive position near Griffin's Roost, the ancestral seat of the Lord Paramount. Aerys marched his army there, and with a victory at their ancestral home, House Connington would surely be defeated shortly thereafter.

Nearly fifteen thousand crown loyalists engaged with twelve thousand Connington soldiers- a far more evenly contested battle than the previous. However, even twelve thousand men could not stop a dragon. While he had chosen to lead his men on horseback at Galemont, Aerys took to the skies atop Daerax, delivering justices from above. By day's end, half of the Stormlander army was dead, with many hundreds more injured and captured. For every one of the loyalists that fell, six had fallen on the opposing side- another great victory in the war effort. Griffin's Roost was secured, and all that was left was Storm's End itself, before the war would be concluded. Aerys made the preparations for the final, short march on Storm's End, where Lord Narbert would learn what it meant to cross the dragon, as his father had learned before him.

iScdBFt.png

Through his constant ravens from the south, Aerys constantly kept me informed of the goings-on of the army during the war. Most of the time they were simple, detailing marches, morale, supplies, details of that nature. On two occasions the ravens carried news of victory in battle, and the deaths of the Kingsguard in the field. However, this particular raven was entirely surprising. Aerys had arrived at Storm's End, ready to demand the surrender of Lord Narbert. While there, Aerys learned that Lord Narbert no longer ruled the Stormlands, instead, his young son now served as Lord Paramount. Apparently, a plague had arrived in Storm's End on a ship from Essos, and Lord Narbert had succumbed to it. The disease resulted in great growths growing on the body, a heavy sweat, and usually resulted in death. It spread fast and it spread far, and before long, if they weren't careful, the disease could even reach the capital. However, in this one instance, it had proven a blessing, ending the war when it took the life of the Connington lord, his son- or his advisors, rather- not wishing to continue in the ill-fated rebellion of the previous Lord Paramount.

qx4Mu5F.png

With the fealty of the boy-lord sworn to Aerys, the army of the crown began the march home, victors. Aerys had proven himself more than capable, rising to the task of commanding the crown's armies, and delivering justice to our enemies. His accomplishments would be celebrated upon his return, a tourney held in his honor and many days of feasting and celebration were to follow. I have served as king for many years now, during which time I have fought my own battles. Now, my son and heir was a man-grown, one more-than-qualified to serving the crown faithfully. It was a day long in the making, and one that brought a smile to my face.

• 1Like
Reactions:
great! it seems as if House Connington is following the path of the Baratheons... another question is the use of Visigothic names by the Dornish hehe

Little anti-climactic (in that the Conningtons didn't face justice for doing what they did) but at least the heir is able to hold his own.

Though I wonder if the new batch of Kingsguard will be up to scratch.

great! it seems as if House Connington is following the path of the Baratheons... another question is the use of Visigothic names by the Dornish hehe

I swear, the Martells always end up with really odd names in my saves, even by Westerosi standards. :p

Little anti-climactic (in that the Conningtons didn't face justice for doing what they did) but at least the heir is able to hold his own.

Though I wonder if the new batch of Kingsguard will be up to scratch.

Yep, that's one issue I have with the game, (one of a select few)- some wars don't have proper conclusions.

I'm worried about the Kingsguard to be honest, losing half the lot in one swoop surely doesn't bode well.

CHAPTER XXXVIII - RISE AND FALL

War. War is inevitable. Aegon had landed in these lands three hundred and sixty three years ago, attempting to conquer, and unify, Westeros. It is impossible to know his own thoughts, but one would assume Aegon had wanted to bring peace to the land in doing so, ending their millennial of quarrel. For a time, the fighting did cease. The Conqueror reigned through two decades of peace, but upon his death, the realm descended into war once more. From Maegor the Cruel to Aerys the Mad, the realm hardly saw peace, and then the second coming of the dragon occurred. Aegon, sixth of his name, landed, no doubt with similar goals to his namesake. Yet, once more, the unifying efforts of the crown could not end the warring.

Seemingly from nothing, another war sprung out of the earth, flinging the dirt in the direction of King's Landing once more. Giving no indication of her dissent, Lady Leyla Fossaway, Lady of the Kingswood, revolted against the crown. With such proximity to the capital, perhaps Lady Leyla expected to catch me unaware, marching a few hundred- or thousand- men to the capital, taking it with little resistance. The Gold Cloaks probably wouldn't want to fight a small army, and the capital might not have stood, even against such a small force. Yet, luckily, the capital was not our only means of mustering men. I granted Aerys command once more, and used Dragonstone as a mustering ground for an army. Before long, nearly five thousand men had been raised on the island, ready to land near the Kingswood, to root out Lady Leyla.

The Lady's plan had been a foolish one. Aerys landed between her and most of her forces, cutting her keep off from any reinforcements. Six hundred men were stuck in Bywater, unable to receive aid from the potential-thousands Lady Leyla could raise. The siege lated little over two months, before the defense grew desperate, and surrendered against their liege's wishes. Leyla was taken by Aerys, and brought to the capital. The war had ended with no bloodshed, but its end would be reinforced by the death of just one. While more powerful lords might have received more lenient punishments, this one would not. Aerax would deal with her- a message to others of a similar mindset. I had grown weary of disloyalty.

90vgbh1.png

Yet, as so often is the case, while one vassal was dealt with, another caused issue. The crown had often relied on the lords of the Kingswood to carry news from the border of the Stormlands, and around the Hook. Yet, at a time when it would have been most needed, none came, due to the siege of Bywater. While Aerys was fighting in the Kingswood, it appeared as though the Conningtons made another... unwise, move. With Massey's Hook under the control of a young girl, Gunthor Connington managed to take the lands for his own, and add them into his personal demense. It was troubling, as it cut off the Crownland's complete control of Shipbreaker Bay, yet he could not be dealt with immediately. The Conningtons would be dealt with later, first, I would wait and see what their plan was. Then, I would strike.

JkppAYr.png

In the mean time, it appeared as though the gods were now toying with me. For years, Roelle had failed to give me a daughter. Both sons and daughters are necessary to ensuring blood purity, and so it seemed a slight from the gods themselves that no daughters were born of our marriage. So, I looked elsewhere. Within months, Ceryse had grown large with child, and delivered me a daughter, where my own wife could not. Rhaella did not inherit the strong features of our house, but that could be forgiven, for a child born a bastard. However, she was a daughter, one that could one day be wed to a son of mine.

Alas, before Rhaella was even two, Roelle finally gave me a daughter- a trueborn daughter at that. Visenya, we named her. Roelle's displeasure with me was clear. She had come to learn of my visits with Ceryse, and did not approve, but I was king, and it was my decision to make, for good or ill, and the only judgement I would take was from the gods, not her. She said I had grown impatient, and that she knew we would one day have a daughter. How was I to know? For twenty years, we had only ever had sons, barring the one daughter that came into this world lifeless many years ago. I had to have a daughter, I needed a daughter, and so I took it into my own hands. Yet here we were, a new child in hand, and she was sickly, so very sickly. It would be a miracle if she lived to see three, the Maesters thought. She was thin, and barely cried, and when she did, it seemed as though it was in pain, not a cry normal to a newborn. The gods can be cruel indeed, I thought.

2HvgIgZ.png

Not long later, my second-born son came of age. Daemon came out of the womb with a peculiar lip deformity. As such, he was shy to speak growing up, and struggled with his words. The stares, and snickers, of other made him angry. His response to it all was to... hit things. By ten, he was already stronger than his older brother, and better with a sword. He had no ambitions, he had no interest in court, only in swords. As such, I catered him. Aerys was the lord-to-be, not Daemon. I bought him fine armor, and a horse, and had the blacksmith make him a blade to his liking. He would never have to set foot in a court again, if he so chose.

For the next five or six years, Daemon barely ever left the yard, training incessantly. When his sixteenth nameday came around, he truly was a gifted swordsman, and an authoritative figure on the field. I knighted him, as a gift for his coming-of-age, and the young man took the title in stride. He had been born a prince, a Targaryen prince at that, yet nothing gave him more pride than the title of 'Ser'. When a death at court came around, Daemon proved the perfect solution. Ser Beren of the Kingsguard passed from the world at the age of two-and-five, seemingly of his age. As such, I offered Daemon a choice. I offered him a position in the Kingsguard- a postion of honor and prestige, there were none higher for a knight. He, of course, accepted, and became the newest member of my Kingsguard, still only six-and-ten. Some of the other knights did not like a 'child' serving beside them, but he would soon show them his skills. He would show them all.

g05eh1U.png

Perhaps Daemon would have an opportunity to prove himself sooner than expected. My father's reign was largely encapsulated by his grievances with House Arryn, and perhaps mine would be remembered for my own with House Connington. The death of Lord Narbert did little to quell their aggression. Lord Gunthor had taken Massey's Hook from right under my nose, but now he was aiming for something greater. House Connington had wed into House Martell many years ago, and the intertwining of the two families was now becoming evident, decades later. Lord Gunthor, a Connington and Stormlander by birth, looked every bit a Dornishman, while Prince Alaric shared clear characteristics with the griffons, possessing paler skin and lighter hair than any Martell before him. Not only did this marriage make the two houses share looks, it brought about the issue of succession, and rightful ownership of certain lands.

Lord Gunthor, claiming descent from both great houses, declared himself rightful ruler of both Storm's End and Sunspear, a declaration that would make him lord of both the Stormlands and Dorne, and arguably one of the most powerful men in the Seven Kingdoms. Prince Alaric was a child, but he would not give up control of his home so easily, and so it seemed, yet again, that it would come to war. After I personally sent a raven to Lord Gunthor to stand down, he refused to do so, and the armies of the Stormlands were raised. Still slightly weakened from our last war, the Stormlands could not raise a massive army, but still one large enough to be taken seriously. I called on the forces of the Crownlands, some twenty five thousand men, to deal with the threat. I did not ask for assistance from the other kingdoms, for I doubted I would need it. Twenty five thousand men could deal with the Conningtons easily enough, and once they did, I would finally do what I should have done long ago. This was the last time the Conningtons would trouble my kingdoms again.

jUzye1N.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
You should proably give the lordship of the Stormlands, to another more loyal lord after this revolt is over. The Conningtons are proving to be rather fickle vassals.

Reactions:
If he weren't in the Kingsguard, I'd suggest giving the Stormlands to Daemon. Hopefully he'll at least get a dragon egg.

yeah, give some branches of your House power and lands seems a good idea for civil wars

Well now, the Conningtons finally made you snap. And not too soon, with that war to take both and all.

So will you be removing them from Dorne as well? Or are you hoping that that branch will be too burnt out for destabilising Westeros?