Please add formable Turkish Sultanate of Rum and/or Seljuk Empire

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

withche.07

Lt. General
133 Badges
Oct 1, 2014
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Empire of Sin
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
As we see there is formable Roman Empire, this could be easily and safely added as formable Turkish state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Rum

Info:
The Sultanate of Rum seceded from the Great Seljuk Empire under Suleiman ibn Qutulmish in 1077, following the Battle of Manzikert, with capitals first at İznik and then at Konya. It reached the height of its power during the late 12th and early 13th century, when it succeeded in taking Byzantine key ports on the Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts. In the east, the sultanate absorbed other Turkish states and reached Lake Van. Trade from Iran and Central Asia across Anatolia was developed by a system of caravanserai. Especially strong trade ties with the Genoese formed during this period. The increased wealth allowed the sultanate to absorb other Turkish states that had been established in eastern Anatolia (Danishmends, Mengujekids, Saltukids, Artuqids).

Good info: The dissolution of the Seljuq state left behind a number of Anatolian beyliks, among them that of the Ottoman dynasty, which eventually became the Ottoman Empire.

So creating a new quest-like country as unification of anatolian Turkish beyliks under 1 beylik (maybe except ottomans for balance?) pretty much realistic in both history-wise and gameplay-wise.

And for further, there could be very hard to form Seljuk Empire which was huge and powerful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seljuk_Empire
(only if your main culture is Turkish or Persian)
Seljuk empire might not sound good for gameplay but forming Sultanate of Rum (Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate) could be very fun, it would make beylik gameplay lot more interesting.

My other suggestion for Anatolia:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-anatolia-fixing-edirne-hüdavendigar.1008642/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I'd rather have a formable Turkey from the beyliks. The ottoman were "Turkey" so it makes sense. Rumis fine as well

Turkey makes sense but its pretty much very late game, I am still not sure if it fits.

But "Sultanate of Rum/Anatolian Seljuk State" is pretty much valid point here, all beyliks in eu4 are coming from them.
And all beyliks including Ottomans wanted to unify others as inheritor of Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate. So it makes sense.
They fought against crusades, and they had very significant culture. (caravanserais, madrasas and mosques)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seljuk_architecture

I would definitely go with "Rum" rather than "Seljuk" for this.

Sultanate of Rum sounds like a good reward for succeding as a minor turkish state but seljuq was a family name wasn't it?

Yeah Seljuk is a dynasty name just like Osmanoğulları (Otttoman).

These will be the lands you need to form Sultanate of Rum.
zV0h6ec.jpg

and flag:
whY4xr7.png

Rum sounds like a good reward for defeating the Ottomans as one of the Beyliks. I'd even go one step further and say have that be the primary Turkish culture nation (if Paradox won't cut it up and put it in it's own group, which is what needs to happen), as a revolt against Rum rule to restore the Ottomans on grounds of culture wouldn't make much sense.

Thank you for support. It was unified Turkish country, so it would be historically better to make it stay as Turkish.

Also having Turkish culture under Levantine group somekinda kills this as you said.
I am also telling it, Turkish culture should be different culture group, just like Oghuz group in past.

Creating roof Arabia with Turkish culture never made sense.

But this one country would be just similar to Arabia for Levantine, it would be roof of all Turkish beyliks to reach.

Sultanate of Rum fits very well for Anatolian Beyliks. Like withche.07 said all of the beyliks saw themselves as the successor of the Sultanate of Rum(Even Ottomans) and it would be the equivalent of the Roman Empire for muslims. As the Sultane Of Rum literary means Sultanate Of Rome

Sultanate of Rum fits very well for Anatolian Beyliks. Like withche.07 said all of the beyliks saw themselves as the successor of the Sultanate of Rum(Even Ottomans) and it would be the equivalent of the Roman Empire for muslims. As the Sultane Of Rum literary means Sultanate Of Rome

Rum was a referance to the land of Anatolia which the turks refered to as the Land of Rome/Rum it wasn't until Mehemet the conqueror began using the title (Cesar of Rome) as his title that the turkish elite started caring at all about Rome as such

Why not just have a formable Turkey, and switch Ottomans to being the primary tag of Ottoman culture? Actually, why not break down Turkish (or Oghuz or whatever you want to call it) into its own culture group, as it has enough provinces to warrant it. Turks being able to form Arabia is kind of silly after all.

Rum was a referance to the land of Anatolia which the turks refered to as the Land of Rome/Rum it wasn't until Mehemet the conqueror began using the title (Cesar of Rome) as his title that the turkish elite started caring at all about Rome as such
Rum name basically means something like "Roman" (as person) or "Roman land" in Turkish, Sultanate of Rum didn't see themselves as Roman, they see themselves as ruler of Roman lands.
So they were first Turkish competitive alternative to Byzantium, before Ottomans.
(This was before Mongol invasion of Anatolia)

Rum name basically means something like "Roman" (as person) or "Roman land" in Turkish, Sultanate of Rum didn't see themselves as Roman, they see themselves as ruler of Roman lands.
So they were first Turkish competitive alternative to Byzantium, before Ottomans.
(This was before Mongol invasion of Anatolia)

Yes thats what I said I was responding to Reaux saying: "beyliks saw themselves as the successor of the Sultanate of Rum(Even Ottomans) and it would be the equivalent of the Roman Empire for muslims." that last bit made it seem like he meant that Rum saw itself as a roman successor state which was what I was had a problem with.

On another note should Rum be a kingdom or empire?

I feel sultanate is more like kingdom level.
They were seceded from so much bigger Seljuk Empire anyways.

Though, if Turkish/Oghuz were to become its own culture group, wouldn't it make sense from a gameplay perspective to have the decision elevate you to an Empire?