Petition to rename the new expansion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiend13

First Lieutenant
5 Badges
Jun 19, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
"The Cossacks" sucks. It's unimaginative, diminishes the vastness of the expansion, and abruptly ends the flowing, Latin pattern of previous expansion names.

Worst of all, from what I've seen, you haven't changed anything related to Eastern Europe! So are you telling us @Wiz that the RNW generator is basically crap, you've got to direct attention to this minute detail. What about false advertising, some newcomer, expecting some huge Eastern Europe expansion, buys the DLC and says"......wth they didn't do anything but add a 4th estate."

And your graphic art....please, even if you don't change the name, don't include that Runescape-style art in the loading screen. Way to portray Cossacks as safe and lame at the same time. Didn't know it could be done. That's like the IKEA of Cossack art.

Seeing this, maybe "Secret Denmark" wasn't such a bad name after all.

Reactions:
I prefer "Genocide for Dummies"

Reactions:
I agree that the name doesn't really fit most of the content of the expansion and I personally would have chosen another name under marketing aspects, but renaming an expansion after announcement won't happen. After all, the name is just a minor detail once its out, nothing to be worried about.

Reactions:
Too late.

Reactions:
Let's maybe calm down a little. We could have a discussion about the name of the next expansion here, or we could continue in the belligerent tone. If it's the later, the thread will be closed.

I was going to do my usual mocking reply here but honestly this post adequately mocks itself.

Reactions:
Worst of all, from what I've seen, you haven't changed anything related to Eastern Europe!
The Golden Horde, the Kazan Khanate, and the Crimean Khanate are all in Eastern Europe.

Reactions:
I was going to do my usual mocking reply here but honestly this post adequately mocks itself.
I mean I know that you are above forum rules and all that and I do think that the OP is being a little rude, but it is a little in bad taste to post that right after a Mod asked everyone to be nice to each other.

I love the name Cossacks though, I prefer the more descriptive titles over the ambiguous ones like common sense. In all honestly though I can't say its that big a deal what the expansion is called most of the time I call them by their patch number anyway.

Reactions:
I'm just curious, where is the Latin Patern in expansions' names?
  • Conquest of Paradise
  • Wealth of Nations
  • Art of War
  • El Dorado
  • Common Sense
Only Res Publica is in Latin. The more obvious patern is to name the expansion after a book, I'd say. ;)

Reactions:
Looking at the list of titles I suppose it kind of stands out as the only one comprised of a single word, only two syllables too. Also I never really realized they had done the 'something of something' format for three expansion names.

Reactions:
Art of war, Common sense, and The cossacks are bad names. We nearly didn't get 'art' of war at Art of war expansion. Parliament system was dissapointing and not a main feature at Common sense expansion. And now, cossack estate itself even can't be a minor feature at The cossacks expansion.

But name is just a name.. I have been greatly satisfied with Art of war and Common sense expansions. The cossacks will be greater.

Reactions:
And as for the art, I would like to point out to the OP that it looks very much like a re-interpretation of Ilya Repin's Reply of the Zaporozian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV of the Ottoman Empire, which is a nicely incorporated art historical reference.

As for a break from the 'X of Y ' patterning in expansion names, I welcome it warmly. It makes quite the difference from a form that has been over-popularised and spread by fantasy literature, fan fiction, and whatnot. There is an anecdote of Salman Rushdie ditching his planned title Children of Midnight immediately when realising that Midnight's Children would be vastly less clichéic.

Reactions:
Does it really matter what the name of the expansion is? We could call it Herbert Q. Wittingdale and it still wouldn't affect how it works.

Reactions:
So are you telling us @Wiz that the RNW generator is basically crap
But the RNW generator isn't even part of the new expansion, it's part of Conquest of Paradise.

Reactions: