• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A World At War

Renato knocked on the door to Michael’s quarters. When he did not receive an answer, he tentatively opened the door and peeked in. The archangel was leaning over his map table, scribbling away with his quill. Renato cleared his throat and Michael nearly dropped his quill. The archangel spun around and said, “I did not hear you there. Please come in.”

Renato stepped into the sparsely decorated room and stood next to the archangel. The map he was drawing was yet another of Europe, but the borders had changed since last time. Iberia drew his attention immediately.

“What has happened to poor Portugal?” the king asked, pointing at the now tiny Iberian nation.

“It would seem that Castile has bested its neighbours.”

“At least that means Aragon is suffering. Castile must be extremely lucky to overcome them.”

“Yes, lucky indeed,” Michael said softly. Renato had a feeling that the archangel knew more than he was letting on, but the king said nothing.

Renato next pointed to the British Isles. “You would hardly know that war raged in those lands. It looks like the borders have barely changed, other than England’s foray into France.”

“Their armies may be evenly matched. Either that or someone has been keeping any conflict from escalating too far.”

Renato raised an eyebrow, but Michael did not notice. Who this someone was that could be keeping the British Isles from descending into chaos was anyone’s guess. If the archangel knew, he wasn’t showing any sign of it.

“France seems to be doing quite well for itself,” Renato said, eyeing the big blue blob on the map. “It’s quite impressive that Burgundy has held out as long as it has. Perhaps England’s hold on the northern coast has caused more trouble than expected.”

“I do not think France has anything to fear from the English. Ships cannot conquer land after all.”

Renato gave a nod and said, “That is true. Let us hope that those ships do distract the French away from us though.”

Renato skimmed over the former Holy Roman Empire. All of Germany was a mess. He had been shown a similar map earlier, but could barely note any difference. He did notice that Austria had lost land in the west, which pleased him. He also made note of the big threats up north. Bohemia, Pomerania, and Nuremburg seemed to have carved out a decent domain, although it was yet to be seen if they could hold onto it.

The Balkans were a bit more of a surprise. Pointing at the purple patches in the west, Renato asked, “Is that the Byzantines that have made gains there?”

Michael gave a small smile. “It is indeed. They have proven to have amazing staying power. This plague may have been the only thing that saved them from defeat.”

“The Balkans in general are quite the mess. I can’t see the Ottomans holding onto it for much longer, not that I want those heathens to do so.”

“It is best that they not, for they are a bigger threat than the nations that take their place. Whether or not those nations are heathens matters little.”

Renato stiffened and looked over at Michael. For an archangel to so easily overlook heathens seemed odd. If anything, a representative of God should be striking down all heresy in any form. Perhaps this plague had changed his outlook on those matters.

After scanning the map a few times, Renato said, “This world has surely changed since your arrival. God must have a big plan for us.”

Michael smiled sadly and said, “I’m certain He does.” Renato carefully watched the archangel, trying to gauge his response, but he said no more. Something was going on that Michael refused to speak about. Renato would find a way to get it out of him eventually. With no other ideas in mind, Renato left the archangel to his maps.

Reactions:
What a bleak world.

Naples just need to expand into the mess called Germany before there's no nation that could challenge her. Avoiding a border with France would be nice while she deals with the rising Castille.

Naples just need to expand into the mess called Germany before there's no nation that could challenge her. Avoiding a border with France would be nice while she deals with the rising Castille.

Believe me, I've been using Savoy as a buffer as much as I can. I'm not stupid enough to let myself border France until I'm ready. They'd probably walk right over me if they focused my way. :confused:

It'd be much less bleak as a nice shade of purple.

Everything is better in purple, Greece included. Also I'm impressed how Renato manages to take on so much stress, ruling the only sane nation in the world must bring quite a lot of stress onto him.

Clearly, the greatest threat to your dominance is Naxos, who must be dealt with before they can gain even a single extra province.

More seriously, I think you'll be able to take on France once you've sufficiently dealt with Austria and the rest of the Italian minors, although keeping the Savoyards around is definitely a good idea for the moment.

Everything is better in purple, Greece included. Also I'm impressed how Renato manages to take on so much stress, ruling the only sane nation in the world must bring quite a lot of stress onto him.

Well he has started balding, so the stress is getting to him. :p

Clearly, the greatest threat to your dominance is Naxos, who must be dealt with before they can gain even a single extra province.

More seriously, I think you'll be able to take on France once you've sufficiently dealt with Austria and the rest of the Italian minors, although keeping the Savoyards around is definitely a good idea for the moment.

France hasn't really made too many big gains since the game start, so I think you're right. Castile is another matter.

I'm surprised Byzantium's still alive. It's doing better than in vanilla!

I'm surprised Byzantium's still alive. It's doing better than in vanilla!

I'm hoping they reclaim all of Greece. I imagine their success has to do with the Ottomans having multiple fronts and Constantinople being such a difficult province to siege.

Behold the mighty Power of Montenegro! Bow down to your new overlord!

I should start holding bets on who everyone thinks will last longest in the Balkans. :p

The casualty count of this world would be obscene. I guess it solves the overpopulation issue though.

The casualty count of this world would be obscene. I guess it solves the overpopulation issue though.

It'd be interesting to know how many men died during these wars. I agree that overpopulation wouldn't be a problem here. :p

A Near Mistake

1454 brought the first major victory against the Aragonese. Messina had finally fallen, granting Naples a foothold in Sicily. This also brought Renato that much closer to accomplishing his goal of saving the Sicilian people. Soon the entire island and Malta would belong to Naples.

The success in the south was offset by a threat in the north. The Venetian army had taken Lienz and had decided to move against Naples to reclaim its former lands. Roughly 10,000 men had marched into Verona to lay siege to the province. The threat would have to be removed.

Before a plan could be arranged, the bulk of the Venetian army marched back into Venetian land, heading for Lienz. It was believed that Austria was attempting to reclaim the province. Either way, now was the time to strike. Six regiments were separated from the sieges of Lombardia and Liguria under command of General Carlo Gori and marched on Verona.

Once the army under Gori attacked the Venetians, their main army became aware of the attack and turned back around. All but a single regiment each were siphoned out of the remaining sieges to bolster the army. Before they could arrive, a Savoyard army was spotted in Cuneo heading after the siege army in Liguria. Reinforcements needed to be sent there. A confusion in orders had the message sent to General Gori as he battled the Venetians and claimed that the Savoyard army was three times the size it actually was. This led to Gori ordering an organized retreat to save the army in Liguria. Gori’s army left the field of battle, despite having the advantage. Renato was furious when he heard of the mix-up that prevented a clear victory. ((I went to send the other army to Liguria, but had accidentally selected the one fighting Venice and ended up sending them to Liguria by mistake. Oops. :p))

The army meant to reinforce Gori’s army was ordered on to Verona to finish what the general started before the Venetians could escape. The army engaged the enemy and ran them out of Naples, but the victory was minor compared to what could have been achieved without the mix-up.

As for Savoy, their army had remained in Cuneo after learning of Gori’s army on the way. With the Venetian army on the run and Savoyards unable to break past Naples’ defences, the armies were ordered back to resume their sieges, hopefully without any further interruptions.

Reactions:
With Sicily slowly being subjugated, it appears as though you can soon turn your attention entirely to the North.

Errare humanum est :p

I don't approve this change of avatar though. :D

Everyone can't resist sexy Napoleon. :p I just wanted a change and this flag fits well with my iAAR.

With Sicily slowly being subjugated, it appears as though you can soon turn your attention entirely to the North.

That's the plan. Having multiple fronts takes troops away from where they're most needed.

Have you considered hiring another general? Two might be nice if you have two army stacks.

I considered it, but I need every military point I can get. Keeping up in military tech is vital here and with Renato being 2/2/2 I have to work harder to do that.

Well, Renato could lead the troops. He can just be depicted as being there to improve morale if it doesn't fit with his character. :rolleyes:
That way, some messing up of orders can be avoided as well.