• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Parha

Major
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
THE MAIDEN MOD
Having read the game of thrones novels recently, I decided that it would be interesting to have some way to represent someone being a maiden in-game. Therefore I made this mod. It adds in the Maiden trait which is assigned to women that are are either unmarried, not a concubine, or do not have a lover. The event that adds it takes about a month after start and you lose the trait maiden soon after an affair, marriage, or becoming a concubine.

Maiden Trait

Download link Version 0.35
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9cj4km4ccekaa67/Maiden_Mod_0.35.zip

Download link Version 0.3 AGOT Compatible
Removed 'till Parha's brain begins to fire neurons

Da' Team Includes
-Parha
-TheAnguishedOne

Previous Versions

Changelog
*PLANNED version 0.4
  • Add a deflowered trait for woman who lose their viriginity before being married along with events where they might get a little too friendly with others wards at court.
  • A Ward falling in love with your son/daughter, ending up in a bastard. (to go with the one above)
  • Add an event where a woman who lost her maidenhead secretly may try and cover it up. Also make an event for on marriage where cynical husbands may ask a preist to examine her to see if she is 'intact' and then she may try and bribe the priest.
  • Sheildmaiden/Valkyrie minor tile for Germanic pagans and a special event for maiden sacrifices in a Great Blot
  • Possibly the Gentleman trait talked about in threads below
  • Add replacement decisions for female rulers, who can't access grand hunts, to go falconing (in my stereotypical view, it was probably viewed as a safer thing for girls ) and hold a tea party where they may invite all landed ladies of the realm, wives of landed people in the realm, and maybe wives of heirs? Not sure how that last one will work out, I may have to restrict it to the top liege or his wife or something.
  • Hiding a daughter's pregnancy to keep her "pure" or sending her off to a nunnery

*PLANNED version 0.4 AGOT Compatible
  • All the changes in previous vanilla versions
  • Updated compatibility with AGOT 0.9
  • An event for maidens day where you can even try and have a person arrested if they are not a maiden and go. I wont go into detail, but I plan on it basiclly being Cersei's plot on how to get Margaery out of the picture.
  • Add an option to rape the maidens after seiges
Version 0.35
  • "The Virgin Queen" Nickname
  • Valkyrie minor tile for Germanic pagans along with trait
  • Other Minor changes
version 0.3
  • Added three traits, unflowered, and recently flowered
  • Isolated a few files to improve compatibility
  • Add a minor title to hand out to maidens with the attractive trait
  • Events where women may ask their husbands to preserve their virginity with the third trait being virginity promised
  • Redid icons for maiden and unfaithful, the old maiden one is still available in files for anyone who wants it
  • Opened up some traits to ruler designer

version 0.2
  • Updated icon
  • Added a few nicknames
  • Added unfaithful trait

version 0.1
  • Added a maiden trait
  • Removal / adding events for the trait

Mods that The Maiden Mod is included in. Check these ones out guys!

• An Essarian Hymn
  • Monotheism Rising
Please leave reviews,critiques, and constructive criticism below.

Special thanks to richvh and Krall for helping with the event coding and to the AGOT people whose code I looked at for a comparison. Further more, thank-you extremely Hatetrain and starwarsfan541 for offering to help with fixing 0.3's crashing!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Does this offer any benefit to the character? In real life men would be more inclined to marry maidens, and not so inclined to marry promiscuous women. Of course, for whatever reason the AI doesn't care if a women has ran around giving birth to bastards. I find this incredibly unrealistic.

Reactions:
Great idea, but there's no link for version 0.3
Also, why is the Mars symbol used, rather than the Venus symbol?
+2 diplomacy might be too powerful... but I actually like the idea of a maiden getting a diplomacy boost. Maybe +1 instead?

Great idea, but there's no link for version 0.3
Also, why is the Mars symbol used, rather than the Venus symbol?
+2 diplomacy might be too powerful... but I actually like the idea of a maiden getting a diplomacy boost. Maybe +1 instead?

Oh... I actually never realized that it was the wrong symbol, i had a 50/50 chance of getting it right though. About the +2 diplomacy thing, I just did that to make the dumb AI more likely to think it it was a better to marry a virgin. About the 0.3 thing, I am currently working on that and I didn't know that this thread was going to be bumped so I just left it like that. You can still download version 0.2 until I finish up 0.3 though.

Cool idea, there should also be an unfaithful trait for male characters as well.
This -------|
|
v
No there shouldn't. Noble men could sire bastards with little to no consequences in the middle ages, but if a noble woman bore a bastard it would be a disgrace.

Maybe unfaithful should be one of the little status modifiers below the traits bar, rather than a trait in of itself.

I thought about doing that for a while but I decided that I was too proud of my dinky little icon.

Great idea, the devs should incorporate these features in to the base game, or with WOL.

Thanks dude! I personally hope that they hear your suggestion.;)

I thought about making a mod like this but I don't have any experience or willpower. So kudos to you, my friend. :) I'll just give you all my ideas now, so you can make something of them into reality.

First, the Maiden trait icon needs to look really REALLY nice, since we're going to see it all over the place. Maybe make it white, so its associated with purity. The unfaithful icon looks great.

I like the idea of minor titles for fair maidens. I know this is mod is primarily meant to add depth to Christian Europe, but norse pagans could be able to hand out a Shieldmaiden/Valkyrie type title to a female with the attractive and maiden traits and a military education. Also, maybe maiden sacrifices are worth more, to go down a morbid line of thought. Other pagans may have special things to give to maidens as well.

Consider tournament events as well. Eligible maidens may give participants their favor, which would be a nice way of deepening immersion. Maybe there can be a chance to find a lover at a tournament.

I assume that unflowered and recently flowered have to do with women who are not of age or have just come of age. That may be a bit overkill, as I think if may be simpler for female characters to be given the maiden trait automatically when they turn sixteen. A deflowered trait might go to maidens who became concubines, or were found to have lost their maidenhood before marriage. A deflowered trait would replace the unfaithful trait in this circumstance. It wouldn't be as harmful.

Concealing a loss of maidenhood should be possible somehow. And if it can be concealed, it should be possible for the husband to find out.

Female homosexual lovers should not lose maidenhood. I don't know if you already addressed that.

I like the idea of women being able to keep maidenhood even after becoming married (my thoughts go to Thecla). I also think it should be possible for lovers as well, as I always thought that CKII was missing the romantic courtly love its famous for (historical or not). Maidens can fall in love, but it would insist on remaining maidens (especially if they have zealous and/or chaste traits). Chaste maidens who become the player's lover would want to elope and get married (possibly even asking the player to divorce his current wife in favor of her). The player could agree to this, break off the affair, or use traits like deceitful, lustful, and wroth to convince his lover to change her mind or even outright ignore her protests a make their relationship a conventional lovers relationship at the expense of her maidenhood. This would come with a chance of ruining the relationship, and would definitely end up getting the cruel trait.

Last edited:
I thought about making a mod like this but I don't have any experience or willpower. So kudos to you, my friend. :) I'll just give you all my ideas now, so you can make something of them into reality.

About this, if you are still interested I would LOVE for you to PM me so that we could talk about working on this together? After 10 minutes of trying to code events or add localisation I start want ing to hang my self :p

First, the Maiden trait icon needs to look really REALLY nice, since we're going to see it all over the place. Maybe make it white, so its associated with purity. The unfaithful icon looks great.

I tried to make it look like an 8th virtue, hence the green background and the 8 at the bottom. Since I have to redo the trait anyways (wrong gender symbol) I will try out the white background and see how it looks. Also thanks for the unfaithful trait praise!

I like the idea of minor titles for fair maidens. I know this is mod is primarily meant to add depth to Christian Europe, but norse pagans could be able to hand out a Shieldmaiden/Valkyrie type title to a female with the attractive and maiden traits and a military education. Also, maybe maiden sacrifices are worth more, to go down a morbid line of thought. Other pagans may have special things to give to maidens as well.

I actually really like the Sheildmaiden/Valkyrie idea and it will definitely be in version 0.4 (don't want to delay 0.3 any longer than I have to.) I will look into the Great Blot events though and add something for maidens. I don't have any ideas for other pagans though...

Consider tournament events as well. Eligible maidens may give participants their favor, which would be a nice way of deepening immersion. Maybe there can be a chance to find a lover at a tournament.

While this is a very good idea, I am incompetent with event coding so it will likely not be included unless I can get some help from someone else.

I assume that unflowered and recently flowered have to do with women who are not of age or have just come of age. That may be a bit overkill, as I think if may be simpler for female characters to be given the maiden trait automatically when they turn sixteen. A deflowered trait might go to maidens who became concubines, or were found to have lost their maidenhood before marriage. A deflowered trait would replace the unfaithful trait in this circumstance. It wouldn't be as harmful.

The flowering traits were mainly just added 'cause I was bored. If people say they don't like them, I will have no problem removing them. Also, the maiden trait is just assigned to any female that is not married, a concubine, or has a lover. Maybe a better name for it would be virgin, but what evs. The deflowered think seems O.K., possibly another version 04 thing

Concealing a loss of maidenhood should be possible somehow. And if it can be concealed, it should be possible for the husband to find out.

I like this idea to, could lead to some... interesting... outcomes...

Female homosexual lovers should not lose maidenhood. I don't know if you already addressed that.

I am adding a virginity promised trait where while a woman is still a virgin, she may ask for her husband t maintain her virginity. This is more likely to fire for homosexuals, caste, and/or, celibate woman. Of course, the final decision is to the husband on what to do.

I like the idea of women being able to keep maidenhood even after becoming married (my thoughts go to Thecla). I also think it should be possible for lovers as well, as I always thought that CKII was missing the romantic courtly love its famous for (historical or not). Maidens can fall in love, but it would insist on remaining maidens (especially if they have zealous and/or chaste traits). Chaste maidens who become the player's lover would want to elope and get married (possibly even asking the player to divorce his current wife in favor of her). The player could agree to this, break off the affair, or use traits like deceitful, lustful, and wroth to convince his lover to change her mind or even outright ignore her protests a make their relationship a conventional lovers relationship at the expense of her maidenhood. This would come with a chance of ruining the relationship, and would definitely end up getting the cruel trait.

Seems like some of this stuff could be tied to WoL DLC, I like it though and it may be added in the future.

On a slightly dark note I suggest that maiden have a chance of losing the trait if a siege is lost on the province they are staying in. Perhaps more likely if attackers are pagan or peasant revolters.

Yes yes and yes, also give men a "Gentlemen" trait counterbalanced by being able to get the "Unfaithful" one. Maybe make Gentlemen, and Maiden be opposite of Unfaithful? I would also make a same_trait opinion for Unfaithful as like minded people often attract.

Virginity Promise: This should be given to girls at about the age of 8. Well, catholics think "8 is too late..." Maybe 5, right before it can be educated. You could probably add a character flag "Is Virgin" to help the task, then clr_flag = is_virgin upon marriage (or first pregnancy?) I don't know what happens under the hood of the game checking pregnancy. Assuming the female has the trait Pregnant, she should lose the trait "Is Virgin." If any person has a child or is married, they should not be able to get the flag.

I would say that there should be some negatives in there. Men want to marry the virgin woman to deflower her. They don't want to, um, "date" her. Even back in those days, women who really wanted to be virgin until marriage would have a few obstacles in their way, but a real no win. Even if the woman is a virgin, the priest "who checks to confirm" could just deny it. Priest could also declare the virginity of a woman who is obviously not one. I am not going to look for examples of this, but we are talking about feudal christians.

Sounds like a fun mod!

On a slightly dark note I suggest that maiden have a chance of losing the trait if a siege is lost on the province they are staying in. Perhaps more likely if attackers are pagan or peasant revolters.

I like this idea, but I think it would only work with stuff like the AGOT mod where you have an event with what to do with people once you finish a siege. I may include it when I update the AGOT compatible version.

Yes yes and yes, also give men a "Gentlemen" trait counterbalanced by being able to get the "Unfaithful" one. Maybe make Gentlemen, and Maiden be opposite of Unfaithful? I would also make a same_trait opinion for Unfaithful as like minded people often attract.

Virginity Promise: This should be given to girls at about the age of 8. Well, catholics think "8 is too late..." Maybe 5, right before it can be educated. You could probably add a character flag "Is Virgin" to help the task, then clr_flag = is_virgin upon marriage (or first pregnancy?) I don't know what happens under the hood of the game checking pregnancy. Assuming the female has the trait Pregnant, she should lose the trait "Is Virgin." If any person has a child or is married, they should not be able to get the flag.

I would say that there should be some negatives in there. Men want to marry the virgin woman to deflower her. They don't want to, um, "date" her. Even back in those days, women who really wanted to be virgin until marriage would have a few obstacles in their way, but a real no win. Even if the woman is a virgin, the priest "who checks to confirm" could just deny it. Priest could also declare the virginity of a woman who is obviously not one. I am not going to look for examples of this, but we are talking about feudal christians.

Sounds like a fun mod!
I am going to go ahead and say this, when I say 'maiden', I only mean virgin. That said, the virginity promised trait is only something that can be made by a husband while the wife is a maiden. The maiden trait remains around for ~a month to allow this. I could consider the gentleman trait, this would work with the decisions I made where the husband has to ask his wife for her viriginity if he promised it before. I could make it automatically that wife never loses her maidenhood, but unless you can explain the mechanic and how it works a bit more, I will have to say no :sleep:. I am thinking about combining the thing about priests examining woman for virginity with the delfowered trait suggested previously where a woman can try and bribe a priest for him to lie to her husband. Speaking of all of this, I have a few things to announce.
1) Still working on 0.3, not much to finish up
2) This is the planned list for 0.4 features
- Add a deflowered trait for woman who lose their viriginity before being married along with events where they might get a little too friendly with others wards at court.
- Add an event where a woman who lost her maidenhead secretly may try and cover it up. Also make an event for on marriage where cynical husbands may ask a preist to examine her to see if she is 'intact' and then she may try and bribe the priest.
- Sheildmaiden/Valkyrie minor tile for Germanic pagans and a special event for maiden sacrifices in a Great Blot
- Possibly the Gentleman trait talked about above
- Add replacement decisions for female rulers, who can't access grand hunts, to go falconing (in my stereotypical view, it was probably viewed as a safer thing for girls ) and hold a tea party where they may invite all landed ladies of the realm, wives of landed people in the realm, and maybe wives of heirs? Not sure how that last one will work out, I may have to restrict it to the top liege or his wife or something.
AGOT Compatible version
- All of the above
- Updated compatibility with AGOT 0.9
- 'Bring me the maidens' decision when done sieging the castle
- An event for maidens day where you can even try and have a person arrested if they are not a maiden and go. I wont go into detail, but I plan on it basiclly being Cersei's plot on how to get Margaery out of the picture.
3) ???
4) Profit
5) I finished up the two icons. maiden.png has the good 'ole green background and maiden_alt.png has the suggested white background. Let me know what you guys think about them so I can decide which to use.
maiden.png: http://www.mediafire.com/view/e5cipya23yyypie/maiden.png
maiden_alt.png: http://www.mediafire.com/view/soeb0cimelnc13w/maiden_alt.png

Last edited:
I also only mean Virgin when I say maiden. I suppose my misunderstanding was that you intended the Maiden trait to represent the husband not taking the wife's virginity, allowing her to "remain pure." I (erroneously) thought you meant something that female characters come packaged with, and end once the female has a child, an affair or any kind of "I had sex" event. Understanding you intend this to be applied to married women by the declaration of the Husband, I have one concern: Many people like to start with a young wife that has 1-2 good congenital traits without any bad ones. Make 1-3 kids, then kill/divorce her and marry a woman without children aged 46-50 that has higher ability scores, better educational traits and maybe 2-3 steps of claimant from a title somewhere. The "concern" is that the older woman should not be appointed as a Maiden.

A priest could have many motivations for telling the truth or lying, when asked to check. Maybe their traits should influence? I have read descriptions (haven't bothered to really research it though), that some priests would declare "I couldn't tell if she was a virgin, so I will "test" her a little deeper (with impregnation event?). I didn't take her virginity in doing this." I could imagine a lot of motivations for every outcome.

Bad Priests might want to make their own "Lord's Right" type of initiative.

Maidenhood seems like a good way to prevent a second wife from having unwanted babies. Maybe you could have an event represent a conflict where she wants him to bed her?

This sounds pretty fun, I like all of your ideas for it.

I also only mean Virgin when I say maiden. I suppose my misunderstanding was that you intended the Maiden trait to represent the husband not taking the wife's virginity, allowing her to "remain pure." I (erroneously) thought you meant something that female characters come packaged with, and end once the female has a child, an affair or any kind of "I had sex" event.
I want to start off by apologizing, I have been running a ~102 fever for the past few days and probably said a bunch of incorrect things. What you said here is spot on for hat happens in the mod. I was mixing up the MAIDEN trait with the separate VIRGINITY PROMISED trait in which a wife, more likely to if she is homosexual, chaste, and/or celibate and less likely if she is lustful or hedonist, can ask her husband to not take her virginity. If the husband agrees, then the wife has a decision to offer herself to her husband at anytime and and the husband has an option to ask for it or, if he is cruel or arbitrary, pretty much rape her.

Understanding you intend this to be applied to married women by the declaration of the Husband, I have one concern: Many people like to start with a young wife that has 1-2 good congenital traits without any bad ones. Make 1-3 kids, then kill/divorce her and marry a woman without children aged 46-50 that has higher ability scores, better educational traits and maybe 2-3 steps of claimant from a title somewhere. The "concern" is that the older woman should not be appointed as a Maiden.
I think the above answers this part since I had you confused.

A priest could have many motivations for telling the truth or lying, when asked to check. Maybe their traits should influence? I have read descriptions (haven't bothered to really research it though), that some priests would declare "I couldn't tell if she was a virgin, so I will "test" her a little deeper (with impregnation event?). I didn't take her virginity in doing this." I could imagine a lot of motivations for every outcome.

Bad Priests might want to make their own "Lord's Right" type of initiative.
Good idea, this will be added/

Maidenhood seems like a good way to prevent a second wife from having unwanted babies. Maybe you could have an event represent a conflict where she wants him to bed her?
Decisions I mentioned above
This sounds pretty fun, I like all of your ideas for it.
Thanks ;) Also, which icon do you prefer? White background or green?

The White - there are enough icons that are green.

You got some good ideas, I can't wait for your mod to be playable.

Edit: Hopefully you feel better soon.

First, I hope you feel better soon! :wub:

I love your ideas for this mod, and have been enjoying the current 0.2 version in my game. My only suggestion regarding mechanics would be that the Maiden trait should be for girls 12 to 16-and-up only. (12 because, as I understand it, that's the earliest the medieval Catholic Church allowed spiritually-binding marriages to take place. And 16 because, of course, that's when CKII young women reach legal maturity.) It's a bit... disconcerting to see a baby girl not even 1 year old yet be described as a "maiden" and said to be "looked upon lustily by men". But on the other hand, maybe I'm just a bad CKII player, and am injecting too much modern-day sensibility to this thing! Anyway, it's just a suggestion; take it or not, as you want.

As for the colour of the trait, I vote for white. For the symbolism, and because it makes it the icon stand out.

CK2 can always do with more blood, sex and death.