• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorlem

Field Marshal
118 Badges
May 9, 2012
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Dungeonland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
This suggestion applies at all four of the active PDS games, or more specifically, their launchers. I would like to suggest that savable mod profiles be added to the launchers.

What this would do is allow the player to select a certain combination of mods, then save it so that exact combination could be reselected easily. While the launchers currently do something like this, remembering the mods used the last time the game was played, it does not help in situations where you need to swap mods around frequently.

The two situations I see this most often arising are with MP games, and for mod creators. With MP games, a player might have a set of mods they normally use in SP, but the MP game uses a different set, requiring the player to manually reassign all the mods when the time for the MP game comes, and then go through the list and change everything back (if they are involved in multiple MP games that all use different combinations of mods, this gets even worse). Similarly, when someone creating a mod needs to test it, they'd usually need to deactivate whatever mods they normally play with, and then turn them all back on the next time they want to continue playing instead of testing. (Similarly, this also happens when a player wants to test a public beta. They need to deactivate all their mods, but if they later want to resume their old game they need to go through and find each mod they turned off.)

It is very easy to accumulate a large number of mods with the Steam Workshop, making the list very long and unwieldy. Remembering which mods are needed for each use becomes difficult, and it is easy to accidentally skip a mod. (This is especially true for Stellaris, as it is very difficult to see which mods are actually selected with that game's launcher.)

Having mod profiles would allow the player to set up the list of mods needed for each different situation, and then activate and deactivate those mods as a group (deselecting all mods first, to prevent overlapping mods from turning off when they were already turned on), avoiding the potential for error and annoyance and allowing the player to start playing faster, instead of wasting time hunting through the mod list.

Reactions:
This is a very good suggestion, and we'd love to do something like this. Sadly there are circumstances making this hard to implement in the near future, but we're definitely looking into it.

Thank you for posting the idea.

Reactions:
This is a very good suggestion, and we'd love to do something like this. Sadly there are circumstances making this hard to implement in the near future, but we're definitely looking into it.

Thank you for posting the idea.

Maybe putting CK2's launcher on par with the EU4/HOI4/Stellaris one would be a good start?

Reactions:
Sadly there are circumstances making this hard to implement in the near future, but we're definitely looking into it.
Thanks! Here's hoping those circumstances clear up soon. :)

I had been thinking about a similar idea for a couple weeks now, finally decided to post about it on the forums and I see that you have beaten me to the punch. Here is hoping that this gets implemented sometime in the near future. Cheers

This suggestion is so important for me.

Sometimes I play SP with a lot of mods and in between I play MP with only a few mods.
I really hate trying to find out which MOD is the one actually blocking me from participating in the MP-game before launching...

This needs to be solved.

At least for EUIV, there is a work-around : in the .mod files of one setup, you can add a specific tag... and another specific tag in the .mod files of the other setup.

When in the Launcher, sort with the tag of the setup you want...

Reactions:
I would really like this to be implemented and had another idea while reading:

The launcher is capable of translating the "supported_version" tag from the .mod file into drawing the warning symbol marking outdated mods. My idea would be to provide modders with additional tags to mark their mods.

Example: An "ironman_compatible" tag could mark mods which are not iron man compatible etc.