Imperator - Development Diary #21 - 22nd of October 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why do battles have to last for several days? That's not very plausible
Because the ticks are daily ticks not hourly ticks like HOI. It's the same way in EU4, CK2 and Vic 2

Tactics are cool. They look quite familiar (in name and number)

@Johan, you are probably aware of a game called Empires In Arms?

Your implementation of the tactics is more balanced and less impactful. In the 1980's implementation the choice of the tactic was often the deciding factor. This probably suits better for a turnless game.

I suppose this works so that you can set the preferred tactic to each of your armies, can change at will and they use the currently active choice when combat starts?
Is there also an option to let the commander choose? A.k.a random.

Is it possible to set it so that specific units have bonuses in specified terrains? I am thinking:
-Forester units (e.g. Germanic tribesmen from Teutoburg :p ) should be especially good when fighting in the forests
-Units from desert regions and esp. camel units should be better in those regions (but fare worse in snow)

We choose tactics for a battle beforehand? Do tactics do more than rock paper scissors vs other tactics? Does your army composition vs the enemy matter in tactics selection, or is it a flat modifier to all units?

"All stats are subject to change jadajadajada"
is there any reason why i should not always pick the tactic that reduces my casulties? the modifiers seems extremely strong to me...

I think it should at least increase by 10% the bonuses and 10% in the casualties to have more unexpected battles, but nothing that a mod solves, for the minority I belong hehe

What impacts the decision to choose a particular tactic? In some ways this feels like it is a game of rock-paper scissors, so unless the AI is really good at reading the player, how much impact does it actually have on the game?

Or is it that you can't easily change tactics once the armies are in the field, so it becomes a matter of avoiding combat with armies with tactics that are strong against yours and engaging armies with tactics that are weaker against yours?

Is it possible to set it so that specific units have bonuses in specified terrains? I am thinking:
-Forester units (e.g. Germanic tribesmen from Teutoburg :p ) should be especially good when fighting in the forests
-Units from desert regions and esp. camel units should be better in those regions (but fare worse in snow)

We've seen that in DD#15, with the Germanic Path traditions for example giving Light Infantry a 25% combat bonus in Forest terrain. And the Gallic Path giving Chariots and Light Infantry a 15% combat bonus on Plains.

I'm a bit confused about the tactics. So, the player chooses the "preferred tactics" for an army, and the army uses it whenever it enters combat.
1) Are there cases when the army won't use the tactics selected by player (e.g. if the general is "bold fighter" he will always go for all out assault and strong counterattack, or when morale of one side is really low, the tactics changes to "withdraw")?
2) What information can be used (if any) to select a proper tactics to counter the enemy?

I'm a bit confused about the tactics. So, the player chooses the "preferred tactics" for an army, and the army uses it whenever it enters combat.
1) Are there cases when the army won't use the tactics selected by player (e.g. if the general is "bold fighter" he will always go for all out assault and strong counterattack, or when morale of one side is really low, the tactics changes to "withdraw")?
2) What information can be used (if any) to select a proper tactics to counter the enemy?

1)probably when the general is disloyal

2) i am very interested aswell to hear how that would work

Because the ticks are daily ticks not hourly ticks like HOI. It's the same way in EU4, CK2 and Vic 2
Maybe the daily ticks should be replaced with a better system, then?
I think it's like other Paradox titles where... like... it's not the actual battle that's lasting for several days (or even months in some cases), but the whole overall maneouvreing and engagement of the two (or more) armies.

Like the scouting, the marching, the shadowing, more scouting, more marching, some skirmishing, some withdrawing to find better ground, more marching, more skirmishing and finally... the battle.

But all of this is represented as a battle. So it's like an abstract.

Or something.
I appreciate your attempt at abstraction, but units shouldn't start dying like flies *before* the armies actually engage.

Seriously dice rolls? Again not everything from Eu:Rome needs to go into this, and most certainly not everything from EU needs to go into this.

If you really want dice rolls have them influence who picks what tactic, not directly impact combat.

And also dice should never be a single dice, do something like 10d6/10 or something so you get a smooth bellcurve, this isn't a tabletop game, you aren't limited to how many dice you can roll at any one time, and quite frankly many board games use at least 2d6 or 2d10 systems today because single dice systems suck.

Last edited:
Is there a way to see which tactics the enemy uses ? Do armies in battle use my selected tactic constantly or is there just some weighting towards the tactic I as a player chose ? I can currently not see the benefit of tactics for me as a player, it seems like something I choose once and then forget about, as whether or not I actually counter the enemies tactics is up to LUCK and not a decision I do. Furthermore, with the exception of withdraw (if I understand it correctly) they all seem to do the same, I mean what is the difference between Echelon attack or Outflanking attack apart from countering other defensive tactics (which I don't know which one the other side is using).

The battle ui looks a bit big for my personal preference, would it be possibel to get a full screenshot where we can see how much of the map it covers? I think I would have prefered a "cleaner" look without so much artwork, but I guess I'll get used to it.
Not sure how I feel about battles being less affected by RNG than other Paradox games. RNG can cause great frustration, but also gives some rather nice moments.

it seems like a rock-paper-scissor
And it seems to be interesting only in MP where you will have some psychology added to that after multiple battles.

Regarding the length of the battle, if we consider the 2%-30% damage as stated to be equivalent to the unit health (so 100% damage = unit is dead), with an average of 5 as the score result (terrain + leader skill + dice), it would mean that it does 10% damage each day and thus the battle would last about 10 days.

If this is correct, it would make battle much faster than EU4 or CK2.