Imperator - Development Diary #21 - 22nd of October 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I couldn't give a damn about your downvotes. I'm more interested in some actual arguments as to why the battles should last longer than a day.

Why are 1 day battles ridiculous? The maneuvering should be a different phase from the actual combat, and if you think the fighting itself lasted more than a day, I suggest you stop posting.

Nobody thinks that fighting itself IRL last longer than a day. Everybody thinks this is a computer game and thus player control is more important than 'realism'.

Being able to reinforce or retreat are important player control that people want thus there needs to be enough time for the player to see, recognise & respond to what's going on. Thus the battle has to last multiple ticks. Maneuvering as a possible solution suffers from no real losses occur thus you'll never realistically have much to respond to (other than running away from an overwhelming fight).

Your idea of sub-ticks purely for battle resolution don't work in the case where there are multiple battles at the same time. In a multiplayer situation where one person is involved in 6 battles, another player in 2 battles and third involved in no battles - how would the ticks work? You either have the game run at sub-tick time and one person sit around doing nothing or the game runs at normal tick time and one player has no chance of getting involved in the majority of the battles.

In a single player game yeah you could pop up each battle in turn and let the player get involved in each. But that's basically turn based and it's how CAs Total War solve the problem. But it doesn't work in a real time multiplayer game with multiple concurrent battles.

What do you actually mean with nasty fog of war?

It would work very well to launch a surprise invasion on a powerful but unaware neighbour, or to make ready an ambush from the oposite side...
I mean to be able to hide info about your provinces to the other side of the border, specially if they aren't friends/allies.

Nobody thinks that fighting itself IRL last longer than a day. Everybody thinks this is a computer game and thus player control is more important than 'realism'.
Definition of games are basically:
  1. Interactable
  2. They have rules
  3. They are fiction
Paradox grand strategy games use real Life history to create fiction. Realism is only as good if it actually help the game be a game, other medium such as Movies and books are probably much more suited for realism as they lack player interaction which is what makes the game a game.
It would work very well to launch a surprise invasion on a powerful but unaware neighbour, or to make ready an ambush from the oposite side...
I mean to be able to hide info about your provinces to the other side of the border, specially if they aren't friends/allies.
Im pretty sure armies can only see neighbour cities and cities are much smaller than provinces which mean you can basically walk into an enemy army. However having no or limited visibility even in neighbour cities would probably be too unforgiving.

In a single player game yeah you could pop up each battle in turn and let the player get involved in each. But that's basically turn based and it's how CAs Total War solve the problem. But it doesn't work in a real time multiplayer game with multiple concurrent battles.
Real time controlable battles only work because the total war games are built around them.

Last edited:

Being able to reinforce or retreat are important player control that people want thus there needs to be enough time for the player to see, recognise & respond to what's going on. Thus the battle has to last multiple ticks. Maneuvering as a possible solution suffers from no real losses occur thus you'll never realistically have much to respond to (other than running away from an overwhelming fight).

Your idea of sub-ticks purely for battle resolution don't work in the case where there are multiple battles at the same time. In a multiplayer situation where one person is involved in 6 battles, another player in 2 battles and third involved in no battles - how would the ticks work? You either have the game run at sub-tick time and one person sit around doing nothing or the game runs at normal tick time and one player has no chance of getting involved in the majority of the battles.

You will very rarely experience six battles at a time when the battles are resolved in one day. That probability will be very low.

The problem is not the number of battles but that instant battles will destroy the phasing of the game. Instant results and real time is not generally a good combination, especially since in Imperator: Rome the player may have alot of things to do.

first time I played with tactics was in the game 1776 which was released in 75? I think. wanna say EmInArms was possibly the last AH game I bought in 86, but the concept of tactics such as it had had been around long before it.
I'm sure EiA wasn't the 1st game with tactics and I do not know how was the implementation in 1776.
But the ones in Imperator seem to match in 'name and number' to the ones EiA used.

Code:
Imperator               EiA
-------------------------------------------------
All Out Assault         Escalated Assault
Frontal Assault         Assault
Outflanking Attack      Outflank
Echelon Attack          Echelon
Probing Attack          Probe

Strong Counter Attack   Escaleted counter-attack
Probing Counter Attack  Counter-attack
Hard Defence            Defense
Mobile Defence          Cordon
Withdraw                Withdraw

But nothing wrong with that. I like the concept very much.

Last edited:
But the ones in Imperator seem to match in 'name and number' to the ones EiA used.
also very similar to 1776...
also look at tactics from the other PDS games

https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Combat_tactics

they also where in in hoi3 and I believe in MotE. This isn't the first time PDS has used them, just the first time a player can choose them.

if you google it you can find many many many games with tactics and tactic cards...

Looking back on this whole thing and bringing it back from the abyss to bring my small bit of comment on it, I believe it works just fine. The whole preserving casualties argument is pretty valid both ways, but in the scope of IR it seems entirely reasonable.

Looking at it from the perspective of a small Greek city state, or pretty much anyone facing off against Rome, They simply don't have the resources to actively seek out the most advantageous things in short-term battles. It would be favourable to take to a Fabian strategy and fight with a better chance. Or, if they can actually fight in the field, minimize their casualties while still achieving a victory, so they can keep riding the wave of the victory without crashing to some other army taking its place.

It gives you an actual chance to survive in Greece and actually rival Rome in Italia.

Excuse me I just read this dev diary and I'm not sure to have understand how function discipline. It only gives a bonus to damage when you attack and when you defend, or it also reduce casualities ?

@Johan

Can only (horse-)archers attack from the second row, or every unit?
Is there any drawback of having a pure archer army versus pure heavy infantry?
Do all units have the same basic stats, and the only difference is the difference in modifiers?

@Johan

Can only (horse-)archers attack from the second row, or every unit?
Is there any drawback of having a pure archer army versus pure heavy infantry?
Do all units have the same basic stats, and the only difference is the difference in modifiers?
Nothing can attack from the 2nd row AFAIK. And there's also no 2nd row.

There's only a primary frontline and a secondary frontline