• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scaper12123

Lt. General
41 Badges
May 13, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
Please somebody give it and related perks a proper use. The bonuses to armies are basically useless and the only reason I have it on my empire is for roleplay's sake. I saw somebody suggest giving it a bonus that makes soldiers and enforcers give amenities, and I'm all for that tbh.

They should generate unity during invasions, both defending and attacking. So you create some perverse incentives to leave your armies on enemy planets during war, because when the other guy shows up to take the planet back you get another blast of unity.

My thoughts on fixing ground combat involve changing the way planetary bombardment works entirely. First planets greater than colonies have 1 missile silo per unlocked building per capital level, these planets will shoot at fleets engaging in bombardment. Second only missiles and Large and larger weapons can actually damage a planet, smaller weapons would either dissipate or disintegrate in a planets atmosphere. Third a new "bombardment" stance would be created called blockade that would shield the fleet from a planet's weapons but also prevent the fleet from inflicting damage to the planet. The only affect of blockaded stance would be to prevent the planet's resources reaching the empire and vice versa, potentially starving out a planet over very long periods. Finally cruisers would be modified to have configurations that make them better at attacking planets than any other ship type, possibly with supplementary defensive destroyers.

All of this would make it hard to actually take a planet through bombardment alone unless it was only a colony. You'd have to dedicate significant resources to bombardment fleets, or build up space marines to bring the battle to the ground before the armies have been defeated from above.

IMO it should replace one of the admins with a "Great Warrior" that is both a strong defensive soldier AND an admin. Maybe generating naval cap in place of trade value.
Having soldiers also produce amenities is also a good idea. I think it should be both those effects.

My thoughts on fixing ground combat involve changing the way planetary bombardment works entirely. First planets greater than colonies have 1 missile silo per unlocked building per capital level, these planets will shoot at fleets engaging in bombardment. Second only missiles and Large and larger weapons can actually damage a planet, smaller weapons would either dissipate or disintegrate in a planets atmosphere. Third a new "bombardment" stance would be created called blockade that would shield the fleet from a planet's weapons but also prevent the fleet from inflicting damage to the planet. The only affect of blockaded stance would be to prevent the planet's resources reaching the empire and vice versa, potentially starving out a planet over very long periods. Finally cruisers would be modified to have configurations that make them better at attacking planets than any other ship type, possibly with supplementary defensive destroyers.

All of this would make it hard to actually take a planet through bombardment alone unless it was only a colony. You'd have to dedicate significant resources to bombardment fleets, or build up space marines to bring the battle to the ground before the armies have been defeated from above.

it already takes a LONG time to bombard planets into submission

as for the OP.

I think warrior culture should also make fortresses and the like give an extra soldier job or such, or make admin buildings provide soldier jobs.

it already takes a LONG time to bombard planets into submission

as for the OP.

I think warrior culture should also make fortresses and the like give an extra soldier job or such, or make admin buildings provide soldier jobs.

If planets can actually hit back, then you can significantly shorten the bombardment time. The reason it takes so long, is because getting a retaliatory fleet into position takes a long time. For gameplay purposes, to give the defender time to react, it has to take a looong time.

It's just a matter of increasing numbers. Currently:

+20% damage
-20% upkeep

This is ridiculous low.

Just keep buffing it until it is strong enough to matters, like:

+100% damage
-50% upkeep

Still not enough? Then increase number of Soldier Jobs from Fortress +1 or double it, I don't know.

If you buff it enough, you can make anything good.

It's just a matter of increasing numbers. Currently:

+20% damage
-20% upkeep

This is ridiculous low.

Just keep buffing it until it is strong enough to matters, like:

+100% damage
-50% upkeep

Still not enough? Then increase number of Soldier Jobs from Fortress +1 or double it, I don't know.

If you buff it enough, you can make anything good.

Sort of. Even if my armies are INVINCIBLE, they'll only save me a few EC per month and a few thousand minerals over the course of the entire game.

Just for you, I'll share this :)
upload_2019-2-15_14-42-57.png

Just for you, I'll share this :)
View attachment 451077

I find it somewhat curious that the bonus is to army damage (suggesting a focus on strength and endurance), the job is called a Duelist (suggesting a focus on ritual combat, or somewhat unsuccessful digital card games), yet the Duelist job gives bonus to Naval capacity (suggesting a much more technical/professional focus).

Oh well, at least now it will provide plenty of flavor. And it may even be good!

Neat! I wonder, will Citizen Service be seeing a buff as well?
I dont feel like Citizen Service is that bad. A big naval cap buff, and Unity from soldiers?

About the worst I can say about it is that it falls off in the late game once you've reached the 1k naval cap cap, and once your traditions are filled out.
Until then, the Naval Cap boost is great, and I for one love the ability to actually farm unity via fortress worlds, since most other sources of unity for normal empires have planetary caps.
I mean, its a source of unity that essentially obviates the normal limitations of the Admin cap on unity generation.
Seems to me like a good early pick, and you can just switch out of it when it falls off later.

Is there any actual data to suggest that Citizen Service is underperforming, or do people just not like it?

I find it somewhat curious that the bonus is to army damage (suggesting a focus on strength and endurance), the job is called a Duelist (suggesting a focus on ritual combat, or somewhat unsuccessful digital card games), yet the Duelist job gives bonus to Naval capacity (suggesting a much more technical/professional focus).

Oh well, at least now it will provide plenty of flavor. And it may even be good!
Remember, we're talking about turning your militarist empire into Klingon expies. We're not talking about professional soldiers, we're talking Proud Warrior Race that follows some notion of martial honor/glory in battle/both. These Duelists replace Entertainers in Holo-Theaters, a nod to fabled Klingon Opera. It's clear what they do is some sort of martial performance/ritual combat, and the way they generate fleet cap is by inspiring their viewers to join your fleet and seek glory for themselves.

About the worst I can say about it is that it falls off in the late game once you've reached the 1k naval cap cap, and once your traditions are filled out.
??? But... there is no 1k Naval Capacity cap? There was for a bit right after 2.0 came out, but then I think it got bumped to an outlandish 5k cap.

A culture of dueling/honor fights creates a culture where physical fitness and marital prowess is ideal, creating a pool of potential recruits that can meet and exceed the physical demands of combat and are eager to join.

Kinda like how during the Hundred Years War, Archery was the favorite pastime of England :p

Also "Duels" could be fancy Three Musketeers swashbuckling, or it could be Vikings style "You get two shields, and the fight stops when the first one breaks. Other than that, anything goes."

Also "Duels" could be fancy Three Musketeers swashbuckling, or it could be Vikings style "You get two shields, and the fight stops when the first one breaks. Other than that, anything goes."

Given the need for alloys, I'm assuming the deals are more along the lines of "you each get a giant mech and the fight stops when the first one breaks"...