• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mr. Speaker,

I can not help but hear in this argument a belief not in an individual's right to determine their own course in life, but rather a belief that, instead of allowing the middle class and lower class to thrive and prosper, the Honourable Gentleman simply wishes to see them be dependent upon the government. As has already been made quite plain, this proposal will not destroy social housing, it won't. Instead it will work to reduce the burden of a system that, while necessary in part, should not be the end result while giving individuals the opportunity to reduce the weighty hand of government in their lives - is not control over one's life something admirable? That is what the Opposition has suggested they believe, but is it true?

Talfryn Ryley
MP for Monmouth
Sec. of State for the Environment
Mr Speaker,

With respect to the Rt Hon Member for Monmouth, social housing is not a form of slavery; it is an essential service provided by the Government for the public benefit. The British people are no more controlled by social housing than they are by the National Health Service, or the Coastguard. This service is provided in recognition of the fact that the rate of private development of housing has often been laggardly, as private providers have an intrinsic interest in squeezing housing supply in order to increase profits. It is no distortion of the market, but rather a filling of the gap.

Would the proposal which the Gentleman defends really liberate working people? I fear not. Rather, they would be saddled with the very real dependency of indebtedness. Even with the discount, few would be able to purchase their own property without financial loans. Such loans are contracted in the hope of future prospects. But should the market turn, or the economy stumble, then many families may find themselves under the waterline with only a worthless asset to show for it. As for those who cannot take advantage of this scheme, and who struggle to find social housing once the majority has been privatised, they are left in thrall to the landlords and the rentiers, whose impositions are far more burdensome than that of the State.

"Mr. Speaker, I will assure the house I did not make this choice lightly. If the worst case scenario does occur - the Soviet invasion of China - then it is certain that American intervention would become inevitable. In which case, this will no longer be an Asian Conflict but a World conflict. And I can think of no worse place for our soldiers to be, propping up a hopelessly troubled government in Burma, if the USSR makes preemptive moves towards Berlin and the Rhine. If Soviet Navies swarm into the North Sea, I want the Royal Navy to be in the Atlantic protecting our coast, not enforcing a blockade of a country so massive and self-sustaining that it would be a blockade in the same way gnats blockade a horse. She may have lived through the Pacific War, but I lived through the Blitz, and the RAF cannot be on the other side of the world when we potentially stand on the verge of a global conflict with potential to be more destructive than imaginable. No, our forces will stay in Europe and keep the British people safe and free at all costs.

But let's instead imagine the lesser scenario - a low intensity border conflict between two young nations with unclear boundaries. The fact is that we are not an Imperial power any more and we do not have the resources to act as if we are. She is well aware of this, as she has spoke frequently of the progress of decolonisation under her watch. We cannot have it both ways - we cannot swear off acting like an Empire but then become the global policeman the moment a Chinese man shoots and Indian. And it is a common adage that 'you do not go to war with the army you want, you go to war with the one you have.' This country is not prepared to jump into a conflict between nations of this scale two days into a new Premiership and 10 years in to the greatest downsizing of an Empire this world has ever seen. We must prioritise our assets and forces towards the defence of our own people until we know what scale this conflict will be, what our allies in the United States and NATO feel will be the best response, and not blindly jump into action with no regard to the consequences.

The Rt. Honourable Lady, as always, might value an idealistic vision, but I will not send a generation of young British men to die on adventures in jungles when, if she is correct and Soviet invasion is on the horizon, the safety of this very island could be at risk. I do not hold such a hopelessly pessimistic view of Chinese competence - I have full confidence in both their ability and their manpower to win a conflict with India. If they need supplies, we will give it to them. If they need training, we will give it to them. If they need us to lease ships to them, and there is no indication that we need them more, we can give them to them. If ethnic independence movements in India need support, we will give it to them. But I will always value the safety and integrity of the United Kingdom over blatant adventurism in the East, and I previously would have thought that the Rt. Hon. Lady would have agreed with me."
Mr Speaker,

Not once have I called for British troops to fight on either side in this conflict. On this fact alone, the response offered by the Prime Minister is not only a complete distortion of what I have stated in the House, but a disingenuous effort to style my pleas for peace as ruthless warmongering. I have no desire to see any of our young people killed abroad in 'foreign adventures' - of which the Prime Minister's party has more than a passing familiarity - and I fully resent the insinuation thereof.

What I have called for - and what I reiterate now - is the need for the United Kingdom to play a more decisive role in mediation. It is no use presenting a resolution to the Security Council that shall surely be vetoed by the Soviet Union, and then calling it a day for the peace process. When the Prime Minister was on the campaign trail, he stated that he would use all diplomatic efforts to resolve tensions in the Indian sub-continent. He was confident of his success in doing so. Now, it appears that all prospects of diplomacy have simply vanished, and the Government is content to sit on the side-benches as a quarter of the globe is plunged into conflict.

The Government bears a burden of responsibility for the Sino-Indian conflict. It is, in fact, our incumbent duty to do all that is possible to reduce its intensity. The Prime Minister decries this as acting like a 'global policeman' - but this is precisely the role that the United Kingdom agreed to undertake when it became a permanent member of the UN Security Council. We should behave like the responsible, peace-loving power that we are, and promote the restoration of the rule of law and the immediate cessation of conflict. The Prime Minister may deride this as 'idealistic', but it is no more so than the idea that Great Britain can simply sit back and let the world burn, without expectation of blow-back. I would sooner be an idealist that resign myself to the defeatist notion that the United Kingdom is a powerless non-entity with no global role.

By pledging this country firmly to the Chinese Republic without any substantial commitment, we ensure the enmity of the one side without doing anything to guarantee the success of the other. Furthermore, we do not defend ourselves from the apocalyptic vision offered by the Prime Minister, but hasten its arrival. The Government's policy towards China shall entangle us in this conflict, and - should it escalate to the extent of direct Soviet involvement - bring war in Europe as well as Asia.

I propose to the Prime Minister that instead of diplomatic passivity and dangerous entanglements, the United Kingdom should remain aloof from the factions of this conflict, and act as mediator between India and the Chinese Republic, so to as promote resolution. Regardless of the greater strategic frameworks in which this conflict has become enmeshed, its origins are essentially local: the Kashgar question. We know that the Indian partnership with the Soviet Union is an act of tactical necessity, not of ideological allegiance. It is still possible, with patience and determination, to divorce this unholy union and restore ties between the United Kingdom and its former colony. But if we chain ourselves to the Chinese mast, not only will India be lost to us forever, but we shall run the risk of losing the Chinese Republic, as well.

Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton PC MP
Leader of the Opposition
Member for Sutton and Cheam

"Mr. Speaker, I fear I misunderstood the Rt. Hon. Lady's insinuation, and I will ask forgiveness for that. But she must admit that she is being contrarian simply for the sake of being contrarian.

We have already said that we will use the channels of the UN to resolve this conflict, but even she admits that the UN at times is crippled by geopolitical division. The fact is we have absolutely no leverage or power with which to act as mediator - and neither India nor China, considering our histories with those nations - have any reason to accept us as neutral mediators. Absolutely none. We do not have the scale of manpower needed as peacekeepers to hold these massive forces at arms length from eachother, and there is nothing to suggest that India would respect our neutrality regardless. The issue is no longer in the hands of the United Kingdom alone but in the hands of NATO and the United States, and she knows fully well that we can't make decisive actions, diplomatic or otherwise, without knowing the plans of our allies first.

Our best hope for preserving democracy in the East is through supporting Democratic China materially and diplomatically, with the co-operation of our allies. This nation is no longer a global empire with a mandate to interfere with all the goings on of every nation that once carried its' flag, very much through the Rt. Hon. Lady's consent, and it is time we stop acting like it."

Mr. Speaker,

I am once again impressed at the Right Honourable Lady's incredible ability to misunderstand or even completely the answers provided to her. Truly, the Daily Worker would be happy to have her. Turning to the comments made by the Shadow Secretary for Social Services, I must remind him of the voting record of Christian Democratic Fellowship and myself and that we, at every turn, have chosen fiscal responsibility and constructive welfare over overextended social services and economic recession, otherwise we would have held him company on the benches opposite!
Lastly, I wish to remind both the Right Honourable Lady and Gentleman that it is not this Government's intention to maintain the current burdens on the working people of Britain they claim to protect that are the Labour's tax policies and this Government shall take actions necessary to maintain both a fiscally responsible budget and the deburdening of British society. I would also like to remind the Right Honourable Lady Opposite that the Capital Gains Tax Act was proposed by the former Right Honourable Member for Islington North, who was still Prime Minister at the time - before the Brutaeic putsch by the Shadow Chancellor, furthermore, the Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act concerns the innovation, business, trade and industry regulated by the Board of Trade. It is therefore that I proposed these needed acts anyone saying otherwise or opposing this only on this basis is doing solely on a pretence of knowledge. Indeed, the Labour Party may claim their line of questioning to be legitimate, but this is not the case, the Chancellor shall explain in full the plans of this Government for the Budget of this fiscal year, not I, although I have alluded abudently to the matter and the plans of this Government, sufficiently, most would say, for those that do not possess the Right Honourable Lady's incredible abilities. Laslty, after I have again assured this House, as was already abudently clear, that the full Budget will, if the already proved explantation does not suffice, explain and expand on the matters for the Right Honourable Lady Opposite, I wish to turn to the division on the Opposition benches on this matter, for example, her own Shadow Secretary of the Social Services has stated that the Government's measures were not enough! While the Shadow Chancellor has remained incredibly silent on the matter, indeed, he has remained incredibly silent this entire parliament - but then again, his strength seems to be derived from his ability to dissapear during important votes - the Right Honourable Lady has remained totally ambigious whether she would support the Act as is. Or would she be unwilling to do what is good for Britian, for it would ultimately mean less Government intervention in failing industries and the deconstruction of her so-loved red tape empire that is the most apperant legacy of ten years of Labour rule? Would she support the Government's plans for smaller government and greater personal freedom and prosperity, or would she cling again to a government stuck in the past, which supported degrading inferior public housing above a self-maintaining sceme allowing tenants the Right to Buy their own homes? Would she contradict her own Shadow Secretary for Social Affairs, who has the apperant "strength" to openly demonize his own party leader in name of an outdated Labour policy or shall she join this Government in - what her Shadow Secretary for Social Affairs so eloquently called - "explicitly targeteting (in the positive sense) low-risk investments in the State and the lower and middle class of businessowners"?

The Rt. Hon. David Thornbloom MP FRS FRES
President of the Board of Trade

Mr. Speaker,

I speak to this House today to profess and reitterate my support for the Chancellor's Budget for 1964. This first Conservative Budget in a decade does not limit the decrease of the effective income tax to 40% for the working and middle class, as the Labour Budgets have done, and rewards those carrying the fruits of honest labour, be they white or blue collar workers, with a tax policy that significantly increases after-tax income across the United Kingdom for the working and middle classes, whom have, in the past, been forced to support the costly domestic and foreign adventures of the Labour Government, and are now able to use their income as they see fit and still rely on the security provided by the state to keep his family safe and send his children to fully-funded schools.

Furthermore, this budget will revitalize much of the economy as more and more capital is freed from the shakles that is Government overregulation and overtaxation and allowed to flow into the economy and especially the British Industries, the backbone of our economy and our prosperity, be it from the working and middle classes, now exempt from counterintuitive tax policies propagated by the Labour Government, or be it from the entrepeneurs who time and again have displayed their inginuity and ability to adapt as Government overregulation and economic recession threatened their livelyhoods, who are now, too, able to count on Government cooperation with Entrepeneurs' Relief.

All the while, Mr. Speaker, maintaining a dynamic and affordable - for the British taxpayer - surplus, which will allow direct constructive action against the national debt.

Budget 1964

Taxes:
Working Class: 25%
Middle Class: 25%
Upper Class: 35%

Expenses

Stockpile:
Land: 100%
Naval: 100%
Construction: 100%

Other Expenses:
Education: 100%
Administration: 80%
Social Spending: 80%
Military Spending: 100%

Tariffs
Tariffs: 10%

Last edited:
"Mister Speaker,

If the Rt. Hon. Gentleman wishes for me to comment on the Government's fiscal policies, perhaps he should let his colleague, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, do his job, rather than insisting on doing it for him."

~ The Rt. Hon. Stephen Harwick, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer and Labour MP for Newport

((Okay seriously everyone needs to calm down with this. Heath isn't a player character and TJDS is. I'm delegating economic stuff to him because I do not give a solitary shit about writing and debating economics and TJDS does. Heath is off yachting somewhere. Accept that and move on.))

Reactions:
((Okay seriously everyone needs to calm down with this. Heath isn't a player character and TJDS is. I'm delegating economic stuff to him because I do not give a solitary shit about writing and debating economics and TJDS does. Heath is off yachting somewhere. Accept that and move on.))

((Why exactly is TJDS not the Chancellor of the Exchequer?))

Mr. Speaker,

I am once again impressed at the Right Honourable Lady's incredible ability to misunderstand or even completely the answers provided to her. Truly, the Daily Worker would be happy to have her. Turning to the comments made by the Shadow Secretary for Social Services, I must remind him of the voting record of Christian Democratic Fellowship and myself and that we, at every turn, have chosen fiscal responsibility and constructive welfare over overextended social services and economic recession, otherwise we would have held him company on the benches opposite!
Lastly, I wish to remind both the Right Honourable Lady and Gentleman that it is not this Government's intention to maintain the current burdens on the working people of Britain they claim to protect that are the Labour's tax policies and this Government shall take actions necessary to maintain both a fiscally responsible budget and the deburdening of British society. I would also like to remind the Right Honourable Lady Opposite that the Capital Gains Tax Act was proposed by the former Right Honourable Member for Islington North, who was still Prime Minister at the time - before the Brutaeic putsch by the Shadow Chancellor, furthermore, the Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act concerns the innovation, business, trade and industry regulated by the Board of Trade. It is therefore that I proposed these needed acts anyone saying otherwise or opposing this only on this basis is doing solely on a pretence of knowledge. Indeed, the Labour Party may claim their line of questioning to be legitimate, but this is not the case, the Chancellor shall explain in full the plans of this Government for the Budget of this fiscal year, not I, although I have alluded abudently to the matter and the plans of this Government, sufficiently, most would say, for those that do not possess the Right Honourable Lady's incredible abilities. Laslty, after I have again assured this House, as was already abudently clear, that the full Budget will, if the already proved explantation does not suffice, explain and expand on the matters for the Right Honourable Lady Opposite, I wish to turn to the division on the Opposition benches on this matter, for example, her own Shadow Secretary of the Social Services has stated that the Government's measures were not enough! While the Shadow Chancellor has remained incredibly silent on the matter, indeed, he has remained incredibly silent this entire parliament - but then again, his strength seems to be derived from his ability to dissapear during important votes - the Right Honourable Lady has remained totally ambigious whether she would support the Act as is. Or would she be unwilling to do what is good for Britian, for it would ultimately mean less Government intervention in failing industries and the deconstruction of her so-loved red tape empire that is the most apperant legacy of ten years of Labour rule? Would she support the Government's plans for smaller government and greater personal freedom and prosperity, or would she cling again to a government stuck in the past, which supported degrading inferior public housing above a self-maintaining sceme allowing tenants the Right to Buy their own homes? Would she contradict her own Shadow Secretary for Social Affairs, who has the apperant "strength" to openly demonize his own party leader in name of an outdated Labour policy or shall she join this Government in - what her Shadow Secretary for Social Affairs so eloquently called - "explicitly targeteting (in the positive sense) low-risk investments in the State and the lower and middle class of businessowners"?

Mr Speaker,

The Rt Hon Member for Salisbury is surely the gift that keeps on giving. I have no doubt that if I were to ask him where the lavatories were located, I would be treated to a ten-minute lecture on the inadequate sanitation policies of the previous government. Let me simply state that a Minister of the Government who must be thrice pressed for an answer to a simple enquiry is in no position to patronise the Oppostion. I suggest the Gentleman tend to his own affairs before condescending to others.

Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton PC MP
Leader of the Opposition
Member for Sutton and Cheam

The noise from the Tory benches after this piece of irony is so loud that the House has to be suspended.

Reactions:
"Ar they still pickin' apart 'at hoosin' bill, Willie?"

"'Fraid sae."

"Ain foreign policy?"

"Scootland has nae enemies, mah frien."

"Ain th' Tory budgit?"

"Haw abit it? We gonnae vote doon jist abit everythin' thes government sends oot."

"....That's a raither daf job, don ya think?"

"A wee patience an' we'll be makin' ouir own laws soon."

((Why exactly is TJDS not the Chancellor of the Exchequer?))

((Because his character is too "new" to the Tory party that giving him any high ministry would be unrealistic. If we win the next election he may then be realistically allowed to get it))

Reactions:
I will reiterate the honourable Prime Minister's statement in regards to the ongoing conflict in Asia. This government would of course prefer negotiations and a peaceful resolution to this conflict. Our decision to use the UN to encourage such negotiations is a sign of our commitment to peace first and foremost. However, we cannot deny the realities of the situation. It seems likely though that with the Soviets putting pressure on their new Indian allies and the Americans backing the Chinese, that the two superpowers are prone to use this conflict as a proxy war to fight out their ideological differences. It is possible that if either can be convinced to back down, possibly through the intervention of the UN, we can at least remove the external pressure being placed on the belligerent powers involved. It seems though that they are intent to play a game of chicken, with neither willing to be the one to back down. If we are able to somehow get both superpowers to back off, it seems unlikely that Britain could serve as an arbitrator regardless, and any attempt by us to do so directly may just heighten tensions. India is likely to view any interference by us with hostility based on recent history, while we do not have the influence or leverage to curtail the Chinese. If a more neutral arbitrator amicable to both parties can be found, that would be preferable, or both the Soviets and Americans would have to be convinced to forgo their personal interests to push for the path of peace instead. We shall, of course, coordinate with our American allies and NATO to seek a peaceful solution if possible, but I cannot speak fully for their intentions. We cannot dictate the policy of our allies, and if push comes to shove, we must be willing to back them if they choose to assist the Chinese Republic. If we simply state that we are unwilling to commit to the Chinese in the end, that will just bolster the Soviets to pressure India to seek war as a solution. We must show that we will get involved if the situation escalates, but continue to push for peace until such a time as we pass the point of no return.

- Maxwell Macpherson, Foreign Secretary & Tory MP for Bolton West

((On the topic of subsidies, I will refer all players to an upcoming list on public, private, and subsidized industries. Obviously, rescinding subsidies for a publicly owned industry is effectively IG privatization, and will require separate legislation and an AI Union response.

I'll post this list tonight with the industry page.))

p4XBRIw.jpg

Kb6iuT5.jpg

phXf8ks.jpg

DlgWtH1.jpg

68IIXn4.jpg

g37ZiqO.jpg

7QuJ3BF.jpg

Airplane Industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Pub Industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Canned food industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Local textile industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Fashion industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Local jewelers: Private -- Subsidized.
British Automobile industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Imperial Chemical Industry ((inorganic chemicals and plastics)): Private -- Subsidized.
Local paper industries: Private -- Subsidized.
Machine Parts industries: Publicly Owned.
National Coal Board ((IG gas and coal production)): Publicly owned.
Optics Industries: Private -- Subsidized.
Blue Circle Industry ((Cement)): Private -- Subsidized.
Steel industry: Private -- Subsidized.
Glass industry: Private -- Subsidized.
British Rail ((railroads)): Publicly Owned.
British Transport Commission ((ports)): Publicly owned.

Obviously, there's different IG effects for owned industries, unowned industries (with subsidies), and absolutely private industries.

I believe 100% of these have independent trade unions which will defend their subsidies and/or public ownership.

((I'd like to open voting around 8 PM EST tomorrow.))

NOTE: Fire's environmental legislation will amount to another IG social reform.

Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act
- Conservative: Three Line (For)
- Labour: Three Line (Against)

Television Act
- Conservative: Two Line (For)
- Labour: Two Line (Against)

Housing Act 1964
- Conservative: Two Line (For)
- Labour: Two Line (Against)

Amendment to Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepreneurs' Relief Act
- Conservative: Two Line (Against)
- Labour: Free Vote (For)

Amendment to the Housing Act
- Conservative: Two Line (Against)
- Labour: Free Vote (For)

The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961
- Conservative: Free Vote
- Labour: Free Vote

The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961

The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961

Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act
- Conservative: Two-Line (For)
- Labour: One-Line (Against)

National Parks Act 1964

Coastguard Act 1964

Asbestos Act

Lead Poisoning Prevention Act

Budget 1964
- Conservative: Three Line (For)
- Labour: Three Line (Against)

--
Voting closes in 24 hours (8 PM EST Friday). I'd like to do the update around that time too.