• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[Reporter]: Forenicht, as th' general election has resulted in a sleem Conservatife majority, we noo gab tae SNP MP ay Eest Dundee, William MacDoogal.

[MacDougal]; Thenk ye.

[Reporter]: Mr. MacDoogal, whit is yer tak' oan th' election result?

[MacDougal]: Weel first aff eh'd loch tae congratulate mah colleague fa was also elected, as it was a confirmation 'at Scottish nationalism is a growin' movement in uir coontry, as much as Westminster hates tae admit it. Fowk cannae deny anymair 'at devolution is an important issue tae Scootlund, an' th' SNP is prood tae be it's champion. Afair Westminster realized 'at it was a winnin' issue, we hae bin advocatin' Scottish Haem Rule since th' foondin' ay th' Scottish Covenant. Ouir partae fights fur a Scottish Parliament in order tae achieve th' freedom an' rights 'at ouir fowk ask fur.

[Reporter]: Ain whit ay th' Tories?

[MacDougal]: Ah hae wee confidence 'at Prime Minister-Elect Jacobs is interested in greater powers fur Scootlund, however thes simply emboldens uir cause. If Laboor wanted tae devolve Scootlund, they woods hae bludy dain it when they whaur in office noo wooldnae they? Nae, th' SNP is th' only partae wi' credibility oan thes front an' wulnae waver oan it. Ah hink th' tories in number 10, especially wi' a wee majority, will highlecht ouir case tae voters.

[Reporter]: Ain hoo will a Tory government effect yer opposition?

[MacDougal]: No sic' way. we in th' SNP will vote doon onie Tory government, period. They believe in holdin' Scootlund back an' we will ne'er stain fur it. Conservati'es vote fur lower taxes oan th' wealthy, less regulations, an' big business. We need nae Toryism ur Laboorism, but a new sense ay nationalism an' freedum in Scootlund. We need th' fiscal an' political sovereignty 'at uir fowk desire an' shaa receife wi' a SNP Scootlund.

[Reporter]: Weel thenk ye fur bein' haur Mr. MacDoogal.

[MacDougal]: My pleasure.

PRIVATE EYE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

JUNE 1964 — NINEPENCE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FRONT PAGE

MEET THE NEW PRIME MINISTER

KRAFT-CHEDDAR-CHEESE-cardboard-BOX-shop-vintage-packaging.jpg

With the paper thin personalities of the average Tory voter behind him, the Honourable Ted Reginald Jacobs became the Right Honourable Ted Racer Jacobs. To which we here at Private Eye congratulate our new Prime Minister. We expect him to forgo the emotion and tiredness of his predecessor and engage in the boring policies depicted in the electoral propaganda propagated properly.

To which, we as ever look forward to the actions of our new box-ish first minister, Ted Robert Jacobs, and eagerly await what he is keeping in store for the nation.

Last edited:
"Ted, the papers are already satirising you."

"What are they saying?"

"That you're average and generic."

"I've never been happier in my entire life!"

Reactions:
Alright, debate and bills are open. Minister orders are due Friday. I'll send out the necessary game information.

Mr. Speaker,

This Government holds that to encourage and maintain economic growth after a period of prolonged recession under the leadership of the Right Honourable Ladies and Gentlemen Opposite the markets and the industries should be freed from the shakles of overregulation and be allowed and encouraged to expand freely to guarentee the continued strength of the British Industries and the continued prosperity of the average Briton. In line with this belief, as the first in a long and needed line of reforms propagated by this Government, I do hereby propose the Television Act 1964 to break the unfruitful cultural monopoly on television of the Government in the interest of creating more representative television for a much broader audience as television ownership is no longer limited to a select view but has spread across the nation as a new modern addition to the average British household. My last words regarding this subject shall be the following: I hope the Honourable Members of this House do join this Government in Britain's first steps towards a freer society, both culturally and economically.

Futhermore, continuing this Government's intention of deburdening those earning less or equal to the gross domestic product per capita, who found themselves victim of the tax policies proposed by the Right Honourable Ladies and Gentlemen Opposite, which includes but is not limited to the overall Capital Gains Tax, which counterintuitively taxes ordinary residents and trustees of various trusts across the United Kingdom in an effort to counteract the deliberate abandonment of much needed living and office space in the cities of the United Kingdom, thereby decreasing after-tax real income of working and middle class residents and trustees across the United Kingdom, while also limiting the ability of entrepeneurs to effectively invest in and or sell profitable business ventures, shares and bonds, thereby decreasing and obstructing the flow of capital in and to the British Economy, however, while also taxing unhealthy business practices passed on abandonment of living and office space in only the smallest amount, which in the end culminates to effectively taxing home-owners and entrepeneurs across the United Kingdom in such a way that the profits made from taxing the afromentioned unhealthy business practices are more than outweighed by the effect had on the decreased after-tax real income of working class and middle class home-owners, the ability of entrepeneurs to invest and sell in legitimate business practices, and ultimately the negative effect on the British Economy. It is therefore that this Government does propose the complete discontinuation of Capital Gains Tax for individuals who are residents, trustees of various trusts or ordinarily residents in the United Kingdom and earn less or equal to the gross domestic product per capita of the United Kingdom - while also taking into account the Gini coefficient - , Gilt-edged securities to be exempted from Capital Gains Tax, the establishment of Entrepeneurs' Relief to exempt investments in small businesses and new companies from Capital Gains Tax and lower rate of Capital Gains Tax to be paid by people who have been involved for a year with a trading company and have a 5% or more shareholding. Lastly, it is this Government's intention to establish for every individual in the United Kingdom an annual Capital Gains Tax allowance, below which gains are exempt from tax, while also being able to set capital losses against capital gains in other holdings before taxation. The amount for which all Britons are exempt from tax up to a specified amount of capital gains per year will be set in the Emergency Budget proposed by my Right Honourable Friend, the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Regarding the general policy of this Government towards the Board of Trade and Industry I will say the following: it is in the interest of the United Kingdom that this Government will engage in large scale deregulation of successful economic sectors, many of which in the past provided the back bone of British Industrial and Economic Growth and it is my sincerest hope that the Honourable Gentlemen opposite which represent the Liberal Party do acknowledge the dire state of the British economy and industry and will join this Government in the many divisions to come to deliver the much needed reform to the British People.

The Rt. Hon. David Matthew Thornbloom MP FRS FRES,
President of the Board of Trade

Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act

Article I
There shall be a complete discontinuation of Capital Gains Tax for individuals who are residents, trustees of various trusts or ordinarily residents in the United Kingdom and earn less or equal to the gross domestic product per capita of the United Kingdom - while also taking into account the Gini coefficient

Article II
Gilt-edged securities are to be exempted from Capital Gains Tax

Article III
This Act does hereby establish the Entrepeneurs' Relief to exempt investments in small businesses and new companies from Capital Gains Tax, who have applied and recieved the consent for Entrepeneurs' Relief given by Her Majesty's Customs and Revenue Service, and lower rate of Capital Gains Tax to be paid by people who have been involved for a year with a trading company and have a 5% or more shareholding

Article IV
a) There shall be an annual Capital Gains Tax allowance, below which gains are exempt from tax
b) Capital losses can be set against capital gains in other holdings before taxation
c) The specified amount of Capital Gains exempted from Capital Gains Tax shall be announced in the budge
t

Last edited:
((Just a note, it really would be the Chancellor's business to organize taxes; the President of the Board of Trade is (historically) charged with the regulation of commerce and industry.))

((I consider Capital Gains tax to be a form of regulation. Ergo, it is a regulation issue and I am spared from researching complex economic concepts when TJDS wants to do it for me for free.

Convention is ever evolving!))

My last words regarding this subject shall be the following: I hope the Honourable Members of this House do join this Government in Britain's first steps towards a freer society, both culturally and economically.

Parris Marr is reading Hansard in his Blackfriars office.

‘“First step towards a freer society”? Where's this Thornbloom chap been for the last ten years?’

Caroline, his secretary, overhears and answers:

‘Languishing in obscurity?’

She doesn't need to hear him reply above the Beach Boys to know that Marr is grinning devilishly.

The Capital Gains Tax Reform which has recently been brought before the Commons seems to explicitly target (in the positive sense) low-risk investments in the State and the lower and middle class of businessowners. While the tone of the Bill is decidedly Tory-esque and does not nearly match the amount of aid which I feel is due to Britain's hard-working and honest entrepeneurs, I believe Labour and the Christian Democrats can indeed find some common ground on this matter.

- Lachlan Barclay

Mr. Speaker,
The Rt. Hon. President of the Board of Trade has presented a bill that will continue to increase the immense gaps and lower the workers wages even more in comparison to the richest. The Rt Hon. Shadow Member of Labour declared his support for this bill, talking about "common ground". This is a clear continuation class-collaboration and union of the two main parties in favour of capitalistic U.S agenda. Exempting private interests from taxes and further hooking the British Economy into U.S business is a threat to all workers of Britain.

- Jarlath Connor, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Great Britain, MP for Dagenham

((Given that no cabinet has been presented I can't really specify who the Shadow Member is, so I prefer being vague than misattributing something))

OOC VOTE

Proposition Before the House:

As some of you will recall from previous IAARs, your esteemed GM has a hard-on for injecting historical realism into the games. While sometimes changes are out of my control, I thought it would be a good idea to maybe bring this idea into the fold.

My proposition will introduce a hidden statistic called Political Capital, which will be assigned to each sitting government. The basic purpose of political capital will be to represent the (in)efficiencies and extent of policies that a government can actually enforce. Essentially, the size of the government's majority will yield the amount of Political Capital that a government has. Political Capital is the means by which government's can move sliders, how far, and how many times. A government with a smaller majority will be capped by smaller Political Capital on how much they can move a slider, or how many times they can actually move sliders. The same thing applies to political and social reforms. This would regulate (especially) budgets, IG reform legislation, and what has come to be called in this game as 'budgetary contingency plans' (ie if we're losing this much cash than do this -- raise taxes, cut spending, etc.)

I'll hear discussion and then we'll vote when IC legislation is open to vote. PLEASE TRY AND BE AS OBJECTIVE AND OOC AS POSSIBLE WHEN CONSIDERING THE PROPOSITION.

I have another, less devoloped idea. Essentially, it will assign penalties to political parties pursuing policies conventionally opposed to their party's establishment. The Tories will take a hit for raising taxes or spending, Labour for cutting spending or cutting wealthy taxes, etc. I'd like to hear some discussion on this as I've just thought it up.

And the government ought to get a cabinent posted ASAP.

Mr. Speaker, I would like propose the following:

Housing Act 1964

i. Tenants of Social or Council Housing will have the opportunity to purchase their housing unit from the local authority at a discounted price of market value.
ii. This discount will range between 33% to 50%, increasing to the maximum possible discount the longer they have been tenants of that housing unit.
iii. Those who choose to resell or let their properties to a third party before a period of 10 years has passed will be contractually obliged to refund their discount, in order to protect areas of social housing from predatory development.
iv. Income from the sale of Social Housing to tenants will be reinvested in local social housing programmes.

In this country millions of people live in Social Housing. Whilst this has ensured that all people, regardless of circumstance, have the opportunity to live in safe, comfortable and warm houses, they have thus far been merely tenants of the state. In the spirit of opportunity which I believe all people, regardless of class, should be able to rise above the means in which they live, I also believe that every subject of this Nation should have the right to own their own homes. We want to get thousands - and, hopefully, millions - of people on the property ladder, most of whom will be working class, and make sure that this new generation will be guaranteed the opportunity to have not just a house, but a true home.

With this bill, we will exponentially improve the living situation of millions of British people by truly giving them the ability to be masters of their own lives. We want to see home ownership to rise explosively in the working class, we want the working class to no longer have to worry about rents, and we want working class families to all gain an asset of incredible worth. This act, I hope, will be this government's legacy.

___
Prime Minister: T. R. Jacobs ((Plank of Wood))
Lord Chancellor: Lord Hailsham of St Marylebone
Lord President of the Council: The Rt. Hon. William Whitelaw MP
Leader of the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. William Whitelaw MP
Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords: The Lord Home
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Edward Heath
Foreign Secretary: Maxwell Macpherson ((Michaelangelo))
Home Secretary: John Chips ((JackBollda))
Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food: Peter Walker
Minister of the Environment (merger between Transport and Housing): Talfryn Ryley ((Firehound15))
Secretary of State for Defence: Enoch Powell
Secretary of State for Education and Science: Margaret Thatcher ((Milk Snatcher))
Secretary of State for Employment: Iain Macleod
Secretary of State for Health and Social Services: Sir Keith Joseph
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster: Anthony Barber
Secretary of State for Technology: Geoffrey Rippon
President of the Board of Trade: David Thornbloom ((TJDS))
Secretary of State for Wales: Peter Thomas
Secretary of State for Scotland: Gordon Campbell
Minister without Portfolio: The Lord Carrington

Chief Whip: Jeremy McCoy ((Naxhi24))

Last edited:
((OOC

1: Its actually a well discussed problem with the Westminster System that parties with only slight majorities (ie. Wilson and CamClegg) are able to pass whatever radical legislation they want without checks or balances if they whip well enough. So I think the current situation is the right level of madness.
2. Not that fussed.))

((OOC

1: Its actually a well discussed problem with the Westminster System that parties with only slight majorities (ie. Wilson and CamClegg) are able to pass whatever radical legislation they want without checks or balances if they whip well enough. So I think the current situation is the right level of madness.))
((An issue that comes up a lot: Cameron has a strong Whip so he can actually keep this government functioning, while Major who had a larger majority than him is struggling.))

Last edited:
An amendment to the Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act
-The Price Purchasing Power form of GDP per capita shall be used for the provisions in article one.
-HM's revenue and customs shall be given funding to create a department to ascertain the PPP GDP Per Capita for the tax year for the purses of paying taxes.

An amendment to the Housing act of 1964
-Councils must ensure that every house sold (the quota), is replaced by one either being purchased or by a council ensuring that new developments contain the aforementioned quota of social housing.

Last edited:
((OOC-wise:

1) I think that's a really neat idea, personally, but I'll defer to the judgment of my British comrades re: if it is actually realistic or not. Seems as if the prevailing opinion is "no" for the moment.

2) I do see where you're coming from, but it seems both abusable and ripe for creating a lot of really nasty arguments between you and the party leadership, which I as GM always seek to avoid. I don't think it's worth the trouble.

))

Mr. Speaker,

First of all I wish to address the amendment to the Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act put forward by the Honourable Member for Moray and Nairn, I do thank him for making this most helpful addittion to this act and I shall join him in the Division Lobbies supporting this amedment. Moving on to the comments made by the Shadow Employment Secretary; I thank the Right Honourable Gentleman for his support of the much needed reform of Labour policies and I believe the common ground for deburdening the British People shall be most helpful in carrying out this Government's plans for a Better Britain.

Lastly, I wish to address the coments made by the Honourable Member for Dageham. I must advise the Honourable Gentleman to read the bills proposed before allegating that this Government is conducting a policy of verelendung, since, if he had read or understood the bill, which both seem most questionable scenarios, he would have seen that this bill exempts the working and middle class home owners from the Capital Gains Tax, thereby guarenteeing them more after-tax real income than without the reform. And if the Honourable Gentleman for Dageham is so keen to describe the working and middle class home owners as private interests, I do ask him to discover for whom he actually serves as Member of Parliament.

The Rt. Hon. David Thornbloom MP FRS FRES,
President of the Board of Trade

((1. I think it is a good idea, were it not that the unity and strength of governments does not solely depend on the size of the majority, small majorities can and have achieved great things.
2. This would be a weapon of Mass Destruction in the iAAR, one I am not too keen in creating, for it would undoubtedly create useless discussions and strife between the players and with the GM. It is therefore that I advise against it))

((You're all indecisive chumps. Also, Wilson could get very little through and the Coalition had a fairly sufficient majority. ))