• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the North so peaceful? Is it WAD? I started a game as Howland Reed, war of the usurper lasted a few years, and Robert won (later died of syphillis go figure :p). I saw most regions having internal wars, except the north. Eventually though, the Dreadfort tried to take a province i had directly south of the Dreadfort. With careful use of alliances i managed to beat them.
Something needs to be done about reinforcement speed, its way too high. But overall im having a great time!

Please please please tone down/turn off the "demands a trial by combat" event.

Sure Tyrion had one but that was because he was imprisioned as a result of an aleged crime. A trial by combat makes absolutely no sense for someone captured in battle..

Yes !!! I'm just forced to execute eveyone I get my hands on because I was losing too may good men.

BTW .. loving this mod.

Eddard Stark spent several years improving markets and infrastructure in the early years of the Baratheon war of usurpation, claiming discretion the better part of valor.

But the war was not going well for his friend Robert Baratheon. Wave upon wave of Stormlords, Arryn knights and Riverland bannermen washed against the walls of Targaryen cities as each new siege drew significant relief forces to their aid. The rebels would rush in like the tide, a force seemingly unstoppable, only to break and rush back out in the face of overwhelming counterattacks.

When Eddard Stark finally called upon his bannermen to march south, they ultimately met with a similar fate. Having marched enmasse, they suffered from significant attrition enroute. Then, fighting a number of small skirmishes before laying siege to Kings Landing and about to storm the keep, they were set upon by a host Targaryen bannermen almost three times their number. Of the 20,000 Northmen who marched south, a mere 300 scampered back north.

Amidst a harsh winter, the Northern clans then rose in rebellion, enjoying 3 months of success before the young Stark heir (Robb) , now come of age, led forces north and crushed their impertinence .. seizing titles, executing the ring leader and sending others to the wall.

For another 6 months, Eddard Stark awaited the end of winter and regained his military strength. Come summer, he again called his bannermen together .. and this time things would be different.

The Northern Lords had supported a change to law over the winter and would now permit a full realm levy to be raised for the coming campaign. Over 40,000 men answered their Lord's call to arms. The host was divided into four divisions and marched in such a way that they may support each other but not denude the countryside by combining in any given spot.

In this manner they marched upon the Mad King, coming together to face major threats, dividing to seize the land piecemeal. For a year they fought thus, suffering horrendous casualties but long enough to provide respite to their allies. When finally exhausted and reduced to a little over 1/10th of their number, they withdrew north as allies flooded over the boarder. With the Mad King and his brothers dead, Robert Baratheon was crowned King of Westeros 2 months later...

... though it appears this summer will be short … winter is coming … :)

Last edited:
Hey. Freys should be agnatic only. They always skip the woman in the line of succession.
No Westerosi house skips women, women just come after the men. Unless you convince Paradox to make succession softcoded then agnatic-cognatic is the best option.

Sure Tyrion had one but that was because he was imprisioned as a result of an aleged crime. A trial by combat makes absolutely no sense for someone captured in battle.
This has been addressed. Prisoners of war won't be able to request trials by combat in the next version.

Sure the "fire is the champion of house targeryn" option is cool but there should just be a "no, shut up and go back to your cell" lose 5 prestige option. 100 on the second event is way way too much.
Yes !!! I'm just forced to execute eveyone I get my hands on because I was losing too may good men.
There is an option to refuse trial by combat.

Bug Report:

HODOR IS CELIBATE.

Thank you, that is all.
Didn't stop him from getting a kid off the celibate wife I married him to. All men are subject to the whims of the random number gods.

I assume that anything from the starting point has been made to comply within reason to the timeline of the books. Judging by the scope of the work, and the unavailability of many birth dates, much of this is probably done by estimate, everything you do, after that is essentially non-canon.

Bran and sansa were born after the war of the usurper.

Robb born was in the last year of the war, so it is safe to assume he was conceived during the early stages when ned was in Riverrun, so as far as continuity goes, it is after the baseline. As is Jon, who was brought to Winterfell by Eddard after the War..

I just name my children appropiately.
There's a lore children event that gives a random chance for the canonical Stark children to be born. I'm pretty sure it's AI only, though. If you're playing Ned you can just name them and, if you run out of names, name them after people who he was close to. I've ended up with my share of children named after Ned's magnificent seven from the Tower of Joy.

Is there any way to get a fleet if your lands don't actually have ships? That makes a certain amount of sense, but I would have expected at least some mercenaries with ships. As it is, certain rulers can never take certain places.

This has been addressed. Prisoners of war won't be able to request trials by combat in the next version..

Excellent, thank you.

There is an option to refuse trial by combat...

I don't seem to have one made available to me. So I'm forced to just execute them all as soon as I capture them.

my2bob

Fantastic mod.

Played about 3 generations of Starks now. Eddard won the war for Robert VERY quickly (less than 5 years...the Lannister's joined me on the roll gods). Rhaegar abdicated to a fief in the Riverlands after Aerys died.....only to promptly rebel, he lived out his days in Robert's dungeon, the rest of his dynasty perished soon after.

Robert then gave Lyanna syphillis, luckly Ned did not live long enough to see her succumb to it....but his angry son Brandon did. He rebelled, became the "Nking" in the North, smashed Robert's Vale and Riverlands armies at the twins (that took trickery since the whole way down the Neck is an attrition nightmare by the way), and then lucked into the Reach rebelling as well. While I would eventually win independence through attrition war scoring, the Reach was not so lucky. Robert somehow lived to be 76 after having syphillis for over a generation and a half, but he never attacked the North again.

When he died, the Reach rebelled again under Willas, and I used that opportunity to declare war on the Tullys and place Eddard's widow, Catelyn, on the seat of the Riverlands. Again I benefitted from half of the Bannermen of Edmure's kid rebelling against him. He could never bring more than 8k at me, which was less than Winterfell alone.

At present, I'm fortfying the North, getting as many sons as possible, and waiting on Catelyn to croak so I can inherit the Riverlands and add it to my kingdom. I'm slowly marrying off all 20 stark girls (seriously...like, no dudes in this family....at all) to Riverland bannermen to consolidate my hold (or so I hope) once Robert's kids go to war with me on Catelyn's death.

Can't say enough about this mod. Attrition issues and heavy garrison concerns, but aside from that this has been great.

Also.....Is there any mechanic for getting a wolf follower or is that just a random perk?

Yeah, VERY important: I believe CK2+ has a mechanic for attrition modifiers based on friendly/unfriendly territory. This needs to be implemented for The Neck to work. Also, I think the supply needs to drop even more. 15k is as much as some of the smaller Riverlands attrition caps. The Crannogmen help their friends, kill their foes.

King Aemon II just banished the Kingsguard to the Wall, they've taken up residence in Brandon's Gift. Every single Lannister is dead, except three in Lannisport. The Twins are ruled by House Darry, and some lords of the Reach have inherited parts of the Iron Islands. The Martells have been a part of three rebellions against the Iron Throne, two of them by one Lord Par. House Greyjoy has only had three Lords Par. Balon, Rodrik, and Hotho. As of recent, Folcard II of the Dreadfort has destroyed house Karstark. Oh, and the Tullys have both the Riverlands and the Westerlands. House Stark is amazing, Eddard II 'the Ironside' crushed the North Clans rebellion and united the North. The Dondarrions rule the Dornish Marches and every single ruler has been a drunkard and knight.

EDIT: The realm was thrown into war involving the destruction of the Riverrun Tullys. Hand of the King Jaeharys(or however you spell that name) has taken the Riverlands as his prize, the Ironborn have become the Iron Kings for the first time. The Westerland Tullys control Harlaw,and the Vale controls the eastern mountains of the Westerlands.

Last edited:
Yeah, VERY important: I believe CK2+ has a mechanic for attrition modifiers based on friendly/unfriendly territory. This needs to be implemented for The Neck to work. Also, I think the supply needs to drop even more. 15k is as much as some of the smaller Riverlands attrition caps. The Crannogmen help their friends, kill their foes.
Isn't this already the case? It should be a vanilla feature and you get 200% supply limit for friendly territory.

I just checked. It is based off the Number of Holdings it seems, because the bonus is 50% for "In own realm" in Silverreed, but +150% in Greywater Watch (21k supply) It takes a month to move across Silverreed with a friendly supply of 14k. Ouch! Really slows the North down if you want to send armies down staggered... The enemy (if I load a Reach game) gets 10k. Not much different!

I understand attrition is a big part of GRRMs world and should be represented, especially to prevent the AI from doing well on land marches to the North. But The North seemed to fear no march South in the books, and so I think should at least get a bigger bonus to supply for Silverreed.

Last edited:
It's a shame naval combat doesnt exist in the game,if it did then taking the Iron Islands would be SUCH a bitch.
Yeah, this really bugged me because I figured the Iron Islands was supposed to be very difficult for someone to just march in and take over because of the navy probably decimating them before they could. I wish Paradox would add in rudimentary naval combat ie: 99% of battles are won by whoever has more ships. Maybe have it be something like how muslims are not playable by default but can be easily changed to playable since one of the early patches, since I imagine this would be very irritating in vanilla.

For those who are trying to play from a Mac :

Luet said:
Just got it to work on my MacBook! I modified the .mod file using TextEdit as follows:

name = "A Game of Thrones"
path = "/Users/ *your user name* /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/crusader kings ii/mod/A Game of Thrones"
#user_dir = "A Game of Thrones"
replace_path = "history/characters"
replace_path = "history/diplomacy"
replace_path = "history/provinces"
replace_path = "history/titles"
replace_path = "history/wars"
replace_path = "common/traits"
replace_path = "events"
replace_path = "decisions"

No crash so far!

Edit: Be sure to fill in your own account name in the path.

I foresee the forums being overwelmed by new players who don't comprehend how to play the game.

RPS has been reping CK2 before and its a fairly geeky/clever crowd anyway. Kotaku.... I'm not so sure.

Started up a game as the Lannisters and after a year or so minding my own business and improving my base of power and setting some plots in motion to expand my number of personal holdings then suddenly old Hoster Tully offered Cerseis a marriage and I accepted it and his offer to join in the currently stagnant war, my men when fully mustered proved to be exactly what was needed to end this war and after crushing a Reach army I proceed to take King's Landing and win the war for Robert and the rebels, unfortunately before the war could be ended the Mad King had Jaime executed for being a member of a rebelling house. Once the war ended I started to once again attempt to claim more personal lands for myself and with a few claims and a few bits of poison I managed to substantially increase my control over the land, I may not have been popular but I was powerful. I noted with some irony that Cersei had herself a lovely little dwarf boy whom after an incident involving Edmure Tully, a glass of wine, and a small dose of lethal poison was now heir to the Riverlands. Tywin died at the ripe old age of 51 from stress and his duties as Hand of the King and lord of the Westerlands passed on to his son Tyrion the imp who was married to the lovely Margaery Tyrell and after working alongside King Robert became a close friend of his and through him Ned Stark. After King Roberts unfortunate death Tyrion has started to plot a way in which he may successfully rebel and bring both the Reach and the Riverlands to his side in the conflict as he sees no way for his family to sit on the Iron Throne but it may be possible to forge his own kingdom now that the Targaryen family is out of power and eventually unite Westros under a new flag, a Lannister flag.

I have to say that so far this is a great mod and my only problem is that nothing has happened in the years after the war, but this may just be a problem in this particular play through as I haven't done more than one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.