• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 19th of September 2023 - The Mamluks

Good afternoon and welcome to today’s Developer Diary where we will be discussing new content for the Mamluks! As a preface, there is merit in addressing the design approach I chose to pursue for this country. Domination and its huge amounts of content served as a great platform to gauge what the people wanted, what they liked and disliked. This helped shape the content for 1.36 moving forward, as the entire team takes feedback very seriously and our ears are keenly tuned to the forums and various platforms for it.

How does this affect the content of the Mamluks? For starters, the entirety of the Mamluk tree hosts only 2 new country_modifiers, one temporary and one permanent (more on that later). The idea behind this shift is to give more room to mechanic-related bonuses over pure modifier stacking. So, missions for the Mamluks have been designed from the ground up as a way of investing more effort into slower and natural growth for the country. Moreover, the tree was conceived from the base with simplicity in mind, both for requirements as well as effects. Gone are the long lists (for the most part) of effects that were featured in Domination. As a pleasant side-effect, the AI is also more capable with this mission tree, as missions are simpler but fair in their difficulty for most players and not too overbearing.

full_tree.png

To better simulate the turbulence that the Mamluks experienced, especially across their Syrian provinces, this event should help set the tone just at the start of the game; a vast realm whose fringe border provinces near Anatolia have come to disdain the rule of Qahirah, ready to take up arms.

starting_event.png

Note; your choice in this event will impact the reward for “The Northern Territories” mission! The first option will release a rebellious Syrian subject whilst the second will severely increase autonomy and unrest in Syrian provinces

The top third of the mission tree is devoted to expansion against Anatolia, Constantinople, and maritime dominance over the Mediterranean as a whole either through sheer might or diplomacy:

image (13).png

Note: Keep in mind that ALL art is WIP in this Developer Diary!

image (14).png

image (15).png

image (16).png

image (17).png

image (18).png

image (19).png

image (20).png

Note; The other option here will grant you some permanent power projection (+15) and give you the option to move your capital to Europe (wink wink, Trade Company enthusiasts).

image (21).png

wandering knights.png

image (22).png

image (23).png

The second third of the missions will focus on expanding Mameluke influence across the deserts of Arabia to the Southeast, the realms of the Tunisians and Moroccans to the West, the Ethiopians to the South, and the territories of the (soon to be) Safavids to the East, offering a satisfying avenue for expansion in any direction, without constraining and forcing you to always conquer towards one direction:

image (24).png

sponsor_hajj_action.png

Note; Numbers are far from final, your feedback is appreciated!

image (25).png

image (26).png

Note; Should you complete this mission outside of the Age of Reformation, you will receive a different reward!

image (27).png

image (28).png

Note; Opting to integrate Ethiopian administration via the first option, will enable several flavor events over the course of the game (Zara Yakob as an advisor in your court, etc.) among other rewards!

This leads us to the third (but not final!) part of this Developer Diary and by far my favorite: internal flavor! The difficulty of reading up on the Mamluks’ final 100 years made crafting content for them quite an interesting challenge. The following missions (much like the conquest missions above) are a mixture of what the Mamluks did between the 14th and 16th centuries, what they sought to do (corroborated by historical sources), and what would make sense for most players to do, in an effort to facilitate content that makes sense and does not break immersion. It should be repeated here, as noted in our introduction, that the Mameluke mission tree is by far not a hard or complicated piece of work to follow, for the player or the AI. It was made from the ground up for both the AI to follow and the player to comprehend, with simple tooltips, simple (but fair) requirements, and consistent flow.

As part of the new content, you will gain access to a new special unit, the slave soldiers “Mamluks”:

mamluk_special_unit.png

Note: The modifiers are not final, feel free to leave feedback! The idea is for these units to become the backbone of your army. Not as powerful and few in numbers as the Hussars and not as stacked as the Janissaries.

The primary source of these units will initially be a new Estate privilege for your Noble estate (now renamed ‘Mamluks’) but later on through idea groups, events, etc. you will potentially gain access to more!

mamluk estate.png

Moving on, the impact of the Estate will be magnified via the ‘Recruit the Mamluks’ mission, which will require you to recruit them and grant the following reward:

mamluk_agenda_reward.png

These new Agendas are meant to be very useful and help your nation militarize further, by performing tasks such as:
  • Constructing barracks, regimental camps
  • Improving your army tradition
  • Improving your army professionalism

In total, there will be 6 new Estate Agendas for the Mamluks through this mission alone! Moving on, you will be able to further hone your army through the following government reform:

furusiyya.png

Note; I had this idea while writing the DD that instead of yearly innovativeness, this reform would grant yearly army and/or naval tradition from certain advisors. I have a feeling it would fit better than yearly innovativeness. Let me know what you think!

While on the topic of Government reforms, the Mamluks will have access to several new ones, some as mission rewards and others by reaching the eligible reform tier, let’s take a look at one of them!

diwan.png

Note; The Mamluks will have 5 new government reforms ranging from military to economic themes.

I took the time to rework this event and make sure it fits and plays well into the new content for the Mamluks while granting them a useful reward from developing Cairo, which can now be accessed by either a mission reward or a standalone event:

urban planning cairo.png

Note; A capital and a reward fitting of a prestigious nation.
Mameluke content would not be complete without missions and events around the lifeblood of Egypt, the river Nile:

father nile requirements.png

father nile rewards.png
nile river transports.png

Note; the Burghers are set to play a very important role within your nation’s administration. Numbers are not final!

Known as the Canal of the Pharaohs, a predecessor of the Suez Canal, this set of public works connected Cairo with the Red Sea and was often used up to the 8th century for the transportation of goods via sea lanes. Historically, the Mamluks came in agreement with the Venetians to rebuild and extend it, in an effort to weaken the Portuguese, who had discovered a direct sea route to India through the Cape of Good Hope. This undertaking was never realized, the Mamluks were soon thereafter invaded by the Ottomans, and the canal was abandoned. However, through the mission ‘Highway of an Empire’, you will be able to complete the works, go a step further, and connect the Mediterranean and Red Seas! The idea here is that this will create a whole new avenue of gameplay, adding useful rewards (naval movement to and from Arabia) without granting overly powerful modifiers, etc.

highway.png

canal1.png

canal2.png

The mission ‘Cultivate the Delta’ will instruct you to develop the breadbasket of the world, allowing you to expand production and increase your grip on local trade:

cultivate delta requirements.png

grain trade event reward.png

Note; The other option grants +1 Production Development as well as stronger Estuaries and ports across the Delta’s Mediterranean coast.

Moving on, let’s talk about the most important caste of merchants within the Mameluke domain. The Karimi merchants played a significant role in the Mameluke Sultanate during the medieval period. Hailing primarily from the Persian Gulf region, the Karimi merchants were known for their expertise in maritime trade, especially in the Indian Ocean. They established prosperous trading networks that connected the Mameluke Sultanate to distant lands such as India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. These merchants facilitated the exchange of goods like spices, textiles, precious metals, and luxury items, contributing to the economic prosperity of the Mameluke Sultanate and fostering cultural exchanges in the region. Their entrepreneurial spirit and maritime skills made them vital actors in the bustling trade scene of the Mameluke era. During research I came across a very interesting paper that I used to create content around these merchants, its title being ‘The Spice Trade in Mameluke Egypt: A Contribution to the Economic History of Medieval Islam’.

karimi merchants mission reward.png

Note; Yes, cloves. The requirements for this mission potentially involve a new estate privilege ‘Fund the Karimi Merchants which grants Trade Efficiency and Merchant Trade Power at the expense of National Tax and Crown land:
karimi stations.png

Another aspect of your economic development will revolve around the exporting of grain, via the Khass al-Sultan mission. It will require establishing workshops in your highest grain-producing provinces as well as either raising your crown land or enacting the Diwan al-Khass reform:

export grain reward.png

Exporting Grain as well as the previous Sponsor Grand Hajj action were designed with two goals in mind
  • Assist with immersion and add new avenues of gameplay
  • Be useful (but somewhat minor) tools for multiplayer and introduce a new layer of importance to human-to-human diplomacy

export grain action.png

Note; As with the Grand Hajj, you can only have 4 such relationships with other countries at the same time, and only once per <their> ruler’s lifetime. Hajj would grant piety and better school relations, allowing you to more easily host their scholars without depending on high-influence estate privileges and Exporting Grain would grant your allies Development Cost, Unrest and in return you would gain Mercantilism. Both actions would also improve relations.

As a nation that is majorly dependent on the spice trade, this part of the content is more of a “What If?”. In this instance, the missions Harness the Spice Trade and Reach the Spice Islands will be your stepping stones towards exploration and eventual colonization of the Spice Islands.

harness the spice trade.png

foreign expeditions.png

spice islands reward.png

The mission ‘Assign a Waqf’ will require you to tend to your religious responsibilities, either by embracing certain idea groups or by assigning a new privilege for the Mamluks:

waqf privilege.png

Note to ourselves; We should rename Holy Orders to Local Organizations.

The following event will be the reward for the mission:

waqf event reward.png

Note; The first option will allow all our administrative advisors to generate -1% idea cost reduction per level and construct a University in our capital. The second option will generate 0.25% crown land per mosque built (subtracted when they are demolished).

Of course, in the interest of time, I cannot showcase every bit of content, and as a result, this Developer Diary should serve as a taste of the content we have for the Mamluks!

privileges misc.png

The final piece of the Mameluke puzzle happens to be its most interesting, in my opinion. Let’s take a look at the mission of “Kashifs of Egypt”. It will require you to centralize, increase your crown land, and establish an efficient administration. A reward is an event called ‘The Administration of the Mameluke Domain’.

administration of the mamluk domain event.png

The first option will enable a new powerful local organization for the Mamluks, and if you are not an Empire, you will become one. But, I believe that the second option is far, far more interesting; the ability to reform into Egypt and pursue a new government mechanic; Egyptian Westernization!

egyptian t1.png

egyptian westernization 1.png

Note; Art is WIP

Unlike its Russian counterpart, Egyptian Westernization (or EW for short) is dependent on 3 separate government, interactions, each one a symbol of the country’s management aspects:
  • Administration
  • Manufacturing
  • Armed Forces
Calling on each interaction will push your country closer to the brink of westernizing a specific aspect, with each having 5 distinct levels:

adm western.png

dip western.png

mil western.png

Note; Westernizing each level will change the red X to a green ✓ to keep track of your current level!
To do so, you would need to spend a little bit on 3 resources; Innovativeness, Monarch points, and EW progress. However, with ample governing capacity, goods produced, and Western units accompanied by a significant amount of army tradition, this is well worth the trade!

But wait, there’s more, this mechanic goes even deeper! The bar below the new interactions is beneficial on either side (0 or 100) much akin to Army Professionalism. Whilst Egypt has no Westernization, estates are happy, stability will be cheaper to increase and general tolerance towards the true faith will be happier. On the other (and more lucrative) end, a truly westernized Egypt will enjoy bonuses such as technology and idea cost, as well as yearly innovativeness.

Of course, this choice is major and will impact other aspects of your content, such as mission rewards:
  • The mission 'The Imperial Gambit' would grant Egypt Innovativeness, 25 progress towards their Westernization as well as reduce the cost of increasing Westernization by -5.
  • The mission 'Center of the Islamic World' would grant Egypt Innovativeness and double the chance of getting positive traits for your rulers based on which aspect they excel in, the most.
  • However, for the Mamluks, the mission Center of the Islamic World will grant an additional Golden Age or extend the current one by 50 years.
The content for Egypt would not be complete without a brand new idea set that plays well with the new content:

EGY_ideas = { start = { trade_efficiency = 0.1 administrative_efficiency = 0.05 } bonus = { free_policy = 1 } trigger = { tag = EGY } free = yes #will be added at load. egy_centralization_works = { development_cost = -0.1 } training_missions_in_egypt = { country_military_power = 1 } legacy_of_the_karimis = { burghers_loyalty_modifier = 0.1 burghers_privilege_slots = 1 } nile_production = { production_efficiency = 0.10 } westernize_the_military = { max_general_fire = 1 #YES! fire_damage = 0.1 } mediterranean_shipwrights = { sea_repair = yes } crossroads_between_europe_and_africa = { global_trade_power = 0.1 } }

Reforming Egypt via a national decision will also grant access to these missions, the government reform, and the Westernization mechanic!

As mentioned before, the content showcased here is about half of the content we have in store for the Mamluks, and as such expect more content to be present once you play. The Mamluks are a very fun country to play in with a marvelous position on the map and lots of different ways to play and stuff to do. We hope this content adds to the joy and interest many of us (myself included) have while painting the map with the Mameluke color! Next week @Ogele will come back to present the long-awaited Developer Diary focused on the Byzantine Empire!

One last thing... Our weekly chapel comics have returned:
comic.png

Attachments

• comic.png
    comic.png
    805,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 59Like
  • 20Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Great stuff! Will you be able to keep Mamluk units when you form Egypt for while? Or while Egypt stays under an Ottoman boot?
Take notice of these suggestions, please:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Al-Azhar University?

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
You didn't do the best of jobs when it came to blurring out Al-Azhar University...

Anyway, now its time to nurture a pet AI Mamluks in order to get an early Suez Canal! I foresee plenty of fun for any players in the Mediterranean!

• 14Like
Reactions:
al what university.PNG

ooh new univerity monument!;)

I can make out al ---- university. Is it Al Akbar?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any mission that grants a bonus flagship should at the very least also grant flagships +1 as a national modifier. I typically have very specific needs for my flagships (sea siege flagship or sea battle flagship or trade flagship or exploration flagship or privateering flagship; these roles require different builds), and the randomly-generated ones can be disappointing.

Al-Something University, huh?

I'm not especially impressed with the changes to the Mamluks so far. Have the Mamluks gained any early game tools to occasionally let the AI Mamluks become something more than Ottoman food?

I had expected a Mamluk experience would be designed to rival the Ottomans.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
Why is there a return to the concept of "westernization" when so much effort has been put over the years to ensure that the "western" nations have no tech advantage?

• 16Like
  • 12Haha
Reactions:
Even though it is a very large diary, it did not create excitement for me. I found last week's content more interesting. I liked the colonization and canal thing. I can't say the rest is very interesting.

Reactions:
While I love modifier stacking, I love that you're introducing simplicity again in the mission trees. I usually had to have a notebook next to me when playing EU4 these days.

Anyway, looking great! I'm looking forward to what you're cooking for the next diary.

Reactions:
Add or improve mechanics other than missions, events, and government reforms. Yes, I know it's a 10-year-old game, I don't expect advanced game mechanics, but don't make DLC with content that only modders can make. Improve carpet siege mechanics with the simplest example. Even if you do missions that will last until 1800, the game becomes unplayable after 1600 because it becomes extremely micro combat. This is our most important wish in the development of EU4. Of course, missions, events and many other contents are nice, but as I said, modders also make these. Just last month, I played with a mod that added content for Persia, but I didn't find any game mod with carpet siege or any advanced game mechanics. At least would be nice there is good modability support or a new game :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
First of all, thank you for your hard work!

I’m pleased that Persian region, as well as Mamluks are getting some attention, and since you’re covering Middle East, I really hope you cover some other areas besides Byzantium, Persian region, and Mamluks.

I know that you cannot reveal much at this moment, but I have to ask:

1. Are Arabian tags getting some flavour(as well as Arabia(formable tag)?

2. Maghreb-North Africa is in need of rework, is there any chance we get flavour for Morocco, Tlemcen and Tunis at least?

3. Since most of your focus is on muslim nations(I assume…), are we getting new mechanics for sunni/shia/ibadi religions? Perhaps a caliphate mechanic…

• 7Like
Reactions: