• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will the performance improvements help with an existing game? Or will a new start be required to truly benefit from them?
Should work on saves, might need to run the game a bit for pop consolidation to happen though.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good to see the bug fixes and addressing late game performance.

Only other thing I was hoping to see was some initial fix for the trade formula issues.
We have a fix for the circular trade issue but it’s not properly tested yet.

• 40Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
Oh cmon everyone knows human can eclipse AI, one could probably overcome france as zulus or something, the point is that before you do it the next power behind will have at most one third of ur gdp making the rest of the world irrelevant. Now if you make everyone so much better, numbers will inflate and the world will be just some fantasy tale having nothing in common with historical one. Difficulty should lie somewhere else. Sure, make the game harder but there should be a balanced plausible world.
My point is that your obsession about France is bit odd when the game is already trivial. The developers have already said they are not going to nerf France but improve the rest. France relative performance to other powers isn't even on my top 10 of higher priotized fixes this game needs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We have a fix for the circular trade issue but it’s not properly tested yet.
Would be lovely to see some other bugs fixed, like the one with invading army teleporting back home after succesful invasion.

I really hope world balance issues (France being population and gdp monster, russia almost utterly failing to progress) will be looked at in the near future. I know how weird was the world in original vic2 so those things are probably to be expected, but fixing them would make the game so much more fun!

Reactions:
My point is that your obsession about France is bit odd when the game is already trivial. The developers have already said they are not going to nerf France but improve the rest. France relative performance to other powers isn't even on my top 10 of higher priotized fixes this game needs.
What your top 10 priorities are is not an issue of concern for me. I'm talking about my preference here. Apparently a lot of people have similar feelings to mine in this regard. And it's not an "obsession" - it does not require a huge effort (i think) to realize that many ppl playing a historical strategy game would expect it to be at least a bit historically plausible, and would be upset about a weird outcome happening EVERY TIME for the most important part of the game (1st GP).
I have little problem with the game for now being relatively easy if the world is plausible.

Also, afaik they said they don't want to "nerf france into oblivion" which hopefully means they nerf it a little. If they make others also progressing like crazy, we will get crazy and utterly ahistorical numbers in each game which can badly break the immersion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What your top 10 priorities are is not an issue of concern for me. I'm talking about my preference here. Apparently a lot of people have similar feelings to mine in this regard. And it's not an "obsession" - it does not require a huge effort (i think) to realize that many ppl playing a historical strategy game would expect it to be at least a bit historically plausible, and would be upset about a weird outcome happening EVERY TIME for the most important part of the game (1st GP).
I have little problem with the game for now being relatively easy if the world is plausible.

Also, afaik they said they don't want to "nerf france into oblivion" which hopefully means they nerf it a little. If they make others also progressing like crazy, we will get crazy and utterly ahistorical numbers in each game which can badly break the immersion.
I don't think your ever going to get the perfect population in 1936 given how migrations work in this game and how paradox avoids railroading results like that. I think you'll have a better hope in calling for modders to replace how emigration works, from the current mass internal European migration to whoever is first in SoL to only big emigration to the new world and some tweaks to birthrates in russia specifically.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Can confirm this does wonders for performance. Good job! Thanks for the patch!

Are we going to get another hotfix for stuff like AI being too dumb to build oil? Or will we have to wait until the christmas patch for anything else?

• 7Like
Reactions:
My game crash since 1.04 or 1.05, it s impossible to play the game. other players have this issue ?
I had no single crash. I am guessing I was lucky. Also does not see noticeable slow down,but still some years to go (not so many though). As Sweden had almost 2 bilion PKB and over 100 mln of population and already discovered all tech.
Also confirming situations where I had to fight countries impossible to make front. It was rebellion supported by very small country inside Germany. Rebels capitulate but I still have war with supporting country and I can not send army there, also it is impossible to end it by diplomacy.

Can confirm this does wonders for performance. Good job! Thanks for the patch!

Are we going to get another hotfix for stuff like AI being too dumb to build oil? Or will we have to wait until the christmas patch for anything else?
I think the current problem is not that the AI is too dumb to build oil, but that it's too far behind in tech to discover it.

That is basically how it worked in V2 as well.. any tiny minority got merged into a similar one if there were too many pops in a province.
Did you check that pop merging doesn't bring back the notorious craftsman mass culture conversion exploit in vicky2 when pops were merged under certain circumstances? :p

I hope these performances fixes will have significant effect - that is the major deterrent to play right now. Lots of other things may be fixed by mods.

An AI improvement patch would be welcome and one that makes policital decision for example, then combat more intuitive and presented to player.
I'd really love to know how widespread these performance issues are and what those people complaining are running for a PC.

I've seen it noted here and there by individuals, but I'm not sure if it's a vocal minority or a wide problem really. As for my own experience, I've had nearly zero performance problems and all my issues are related to game polish/internal mechanics.

In over 200 hours I've had exactly two CTDs. My game chugs along in 1920 just as it does in 1840. My frame rate averages 100 FPS. My PC is also only about 10 months old.

I'm against the idea we let mods fix this game especially at this point not even a month after release! There are numerous basic mechanics issues to be addressed and tweaks to be made inspired by all the community feedback by Paradox to their game.

Modding should expand upon the vanilla experience, but with Victoria3 that experience is still mutable and changing. So in my opinion the game is not nearly ready for modding.

Victoria 3 deserves to be polished by Paradox and made into a mature, well-balanced state, in so many areas not just AI and warfare.

I'm not really against modding. I love it in some games (I'm thinking of you Skyrim) and have thousands of hours into mods. With Paradox games I tend towards the vanilla experience though.

The reason I suppose is twofold. One, I only turn to mods after I've fully exhausted all possibilities and potential in a vanilla game. And then two, Paradox games by far have more possibilities in potential then many other games so I never quite reached the point that I've exhausted that vanilla experience.

That said I do dip into flavor mods that might give me more enjoyment and eye candy but not affect mechanics.

---

So after posting my initial response to seeing the thread arrive, I've now read through it entirely to reach this point where my post is.

I see lots of people mentioning performance improvements so that is awesome and perhaps there were more issues than I knew about.

I also see someone respectfully disagreeing with this post and I have no idea what it is they're disagreeing about, lol.

Like are they totally enamored with mods and think them inseparable from the Victoria3 experience and so appalled at my point of view?

Do they not think Paradox should address all the ongoing issues with their own game?

Or maybe they're mad that I'm not having performance issues?

I really have no clue and find it funny...

--

So two now respectfully disagreeing with this post. Well I respectfully ask that you quote what it is you disagree with and say why. LOL...

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
What about never-ending wars when 2 nations have no land border, but refuse to even try a naval landing for years? (I've been stuck in war as Finland because Russia was in war with Egypt and both refused to either white peace or to naval invade. It lasts more than 10 years. ;d)
This might be fixed by the naval morale bug. The AI probably didn't try to naval invasion when their navies had permanent 0 morale.

I think the current problem is not that the AI is too dumb to build oil, but that it's too far behind in tech to discover it.
I know they CAN build oil. Canada has managed to build a single oil well (I'm so proud!), which is making bank because of how much demand there is in the British market, but for some reason refuses to build any more of them.

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Any chance the immortal monarch bug got fixed or will get fixed in the near future?

I'd like to see fewer kings and leaders living into their 80s and late 90s.

• 1Like
Reactions:

The problem with fixing France is it is mostly a macro and balance issue. It's the kind of issue that can be fixed in a major patch (since it's not feasable to get tested changes fixing this in a week) and random balance changes might affect it. For example the last small balance patch has led to many people having France collapse to rebellion. The mods that remove France's treaty port (necesary to be fixed imo) and improve the AI also have huge changes on how it plays out.

The issue is manyfold. One-Russian AI is terrible at reforming so all their pops emigrate, and 2 immigration is a bit overtuned atm. Also other AI issues cause this

Reactions:
I don't think your ever going to get the perfect population in 1936 given how migrations work in this game and how paradox avoids railroading results like that. I think you'll have a better hope in calling for modders to replace how emigration works, from the current mass internal European migration to whoever is first in GDP to only big emigration to the new world some tweaks to birthrates in russia specifically.
I don't think many people argue that we should have "perfect population in 1936", they are arguing that pop growth should be more plausible than it is now. You could say that the game in its current state is "railroaded" to create Russian Hokkaido, US bordergore in Alberta, stagnating russian population, exploding french population etc. As those results seem to happen in the majority of the games (all games I played this far). But its not railroaded, its the game mechanics that consistently creates those results. And the game mechanics should be better balanced to create more plausible results. There is no reason to believe this will not get better as the game gets patched, just like there is no reason to believe it will ever be perfect (whatever that would be).

And I agree with Al-Khalidi that the current pop-growth balance is a major problem as it is very immersion breaking. But that is of course subjective.

EDIT: But yes, rebalancing pop-growth should be the subject for a major patch, not a hotfix.

• 1Like
Reactions: