The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Happy to see Angelica's group made it to Persia without losing a main character. Hopefully Wilhelmina's group catches up, that way we can catch up so we can have all three of our protagonist groups meet and interact in Persia.
Supporting cast: cries
Love seeing Josh lose for once, even if Worm gave him plot armor to survive this encounter. I'm really interested to see what Josh's breakdown and defeat will be like, as I think the odd's of him listening to his inner conscious and atoning for his crimes are non-existent and unbelievable.
The Worm is pretty much us, keeping Josh alive just so he can most likely join a cooler fight later down the line.
I do wonder if the Panopticon of Josh's squad, including Gustav being disrupted means they will realize Jerusalem's conditioning and, in the case of Gustav, restore their memories. I think a funny outcome of this would be if Josh's entire squad mutinies against him and defects to the anti-Jerusalem forces because of this.
It would take much more than a simple EMP to break that conditioning, though.
Knowing that Elias and Theodor's conspiracy masterminded the Uberbowl incident, I now have to wonder if they also had a hand in the following mass shooting in Adamshaven. Even if this theory is a bit of a stretch with little evidence, it definitely seems like something they would do, especially if they sent Josh in as the shooter, and it would explain things like the shooter’s access to the bombs they detonated.
I wrote that attack from the standpoint of it being completely unrelated but playing into the conspiracy (stochastic terrorism). The shooter also is supposed to be someone completely random, showing how normal people were being radicalized even back then.
I should probably add that a Nuke probably won't work against Wilhelmina's powers too, seeing what happened to Han's nuke when Wilhelmina's powers activated.
Probably.

A Persian Welcome, Part 1

Southern Turkestan - December 29

The train clacked over the rusty rails, heading south with a speed Wilhelmina had almost forgotten.

Leyla’s right. This is much faster—and convenient—than riding on horses. But at least the trains here are used to carrying livestock in the back, fortunately enough. All we’ve got to do now is relax and wait. I’m fine with just watching the desert and Caspian coast zip by.

Samir, Gulichi, and Leyla lounged in one corner, playing card games with Friedrich and Ilyana. Ilyana seemed to be winning, although the adults were probably letting her win. Gebhard was reviewing a map of Central Asia Leyla had given him, with updated troop locations and fronts. After a month of little contact with the outside world, his knowledge of the war’s progress was severely out of date.

Izinchi stretched and felt her seat again. “Oh, how I missed this! It’s been so long since I’ve had such a fluffy seat.”

Gebhard looked up from Leyla’s map. “We’ve been on this train for three days.”

“Aye, I’m still not used to it. Last time I rode a train was in Tsarberg. You know how rusty and creaky those trains were?”

“They were left over from the Soviet era. Fifty year old trains tend to suck.”

“And this one isn’t?”

“It’s a couple years old,” Leyla said, “One of the CAC’s first supernational projects was an integrated and modernized infrastructure network for all member states. But the project was delayed because it allocated a lot of resources and funding for Yavdian infrastructure, and the Paulluists withdrew you.”

She glared at Samir.

“Sorry,” Samir said.

“Has Yavdi thought about rejoining the CAC now that the Paulluists are gone?”

Samir sadly shook his head. “It’s unlikely. The Paulluists may no longer be in power, but their propaganda over the years has made accession politically toxic. It’ll take a few generations before such sentiments die down.”

Leyla stopped herself from facepalming. “Why did I even bother asking?”

“A shame,” Gulichi said, “Takomaan could’ve used some infrastructure upgrades. Where’d you get these trains from?”

“The original plan was to buy from the Reich, but then the committee happened. They didn’t immediately cancel the contract, but they made negotiations and progress hell. They finally cancelled it two years ago when they proclaimed Jerusalem, using the excuse that our contract was with the Reich and not Jerusalem. Since there were no other reasonable or convenient buyers, we decided to build them ourselves.”

“Y’guys did great with the whole ‘user convenience’,” Izinchi said, “I love these seats!”

“Uh…thanks? I’m just another rider, though.” Leyla shook her head and lowered her voice. “I wonder how this lady is a senator…”

The intercom chimed with a distinctly Turkish melody…Mozart’s Alla Turca.

Haha. Very funny.

“Now arriving at the border.”

“After a month, we finally made it,” Wilhelmina said.

“About time,” Gebhard said, “I need to know what happened to the loyalists.”

“I just want to have a nice long bath and settle into a nice bed,” Izinchi said.

“What about you, Wilhelmina?” Samir said.

“I’ve been thinking of getting in touch with Gunduz.”

“The Shahbanu?” Leyla raised an eyebrow. “You know the frakking Shahbanu?!”

“Yeah, we knew each other as kids. We’re not particularly close, but she’s the Shahbanu, and I’m the leader of the Roman resistance. I can’t not to talk with her.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Leyla rolled her eyes. “Actually, I shouldn’t be asking that. Just get whatever it is you need done.”

“How bad are things?”

“Turkestan is on the brink of collapse,” Leyla said, “Nobody expected the encircled Crusaders to last as long as they did. But they’ve become an existential threat now. Samarkand is under siege. We’ve lost Bishkek and Bukhara. Meanwhile, the Chinese have made things much worse by coming over the border.”

“But if they’re attacking the Crusaders, that’s a good thing, right?”

“They’re just as hostile to us. Han has no love for the CAC. All his troops do in Turkestan is loot and pillage and make everything a complete mess.”

“Why’d you send troops to Astrakhan, then?” Samir said. “Surely if Samarkand is threatened, you’d reinforce it?”

“Even after getting nuked, Samarkand is well stocked and defended. We are well equipped to withstand a lengthy siege. We’ve banked a lot on Persian and Afghan reinforcements coming to relieve us, while we contribute to the upcoming Taurica operation. Samarkand won’t fall easily. As long as we hold Samarkand, Turkestan will keep fighting. But we need all the troops we can spare for Taurica.”

“What about other fronts?” Wilhelmina said. “You talk a lot about invading Taurica and the Russians and Malians putting pressure on East Prussia and Westafrika, but there are other fronts we could press.”

“What do you mean?” Gebhard said. “Jerusalem has the other fronts locked down, from what I understand. East Africa is tied up just stopping their own Crusader invasion.”

“No, I was talking about Persia,” Wilhelmina said, “It’s been right next door to Jerusalem all this time, and yet it’s held out against all odds. Why not just attack into Mesopotamia?”

“You do have a point,” Leyla said, “Persia’s military is the most intact of all of the Schengen militaries. Our infrastructure is also in good shape. But it appears Gunduz’s current strategy is to focus on Turkestan.”

“What if that’s a diversion?” Wilhelmina said.

“How could that be?” Gebhard said. “It’s clear the Crusaders simply attacked out from their garrisons in eastern Turkestan. They just want to overrun the whole country and then use it as a staging ground to attack into China and Persia.”

“And in an invasion of Persia, they would attack from both Mesopotamia and Turkestan,” Wilhelmina said.

“Yes, that’s likely,” Gebhard said, “That’s how the old Reich used to fight with Persia, at least on the Mesopotamia part.”

“So wouldn’t it make more sense if we attacked Mesopotamia first?” Wilhelmina said. “Deny them the chance to carry out a pincer attack and open up another front they have to defend on. Take the fight to them, instead of waiting for them to come to us in Persia. Then their troops in Turkestan would be even more cut off, and we can finish them off separately.”

“She does have a point,” Izinchi said.

“Well, no use sharing it with me,” Leyla said, “I’m not in charge of operations. You’ll have to talk to Gunduz.”

“I plan on it,” Wilhelmina said.

The train slowed down as it passed a checkpoint. Soldiers wearing uniforms with the CAC insignia on top of the Turkish and Persian ones stood on guard, while the flags of Turkestan and Persia waved in the wind overhead.

“Guess it’s official now,” Wilhelmina said, “Welcome to Persia, everybody.”

The last part of our trip sure flew by relatively quickly and safely. Thank goodness.

Isfahan - December 30

It was Day 3 of Tania’s quarantine. The Persian authorities had given her a hotel room to stay in for a week to wait out any potential smallpox symptoms. Though from what Angelica had told her about this particular strain, standard quarantine measures designed for past strains likely wouldn’t work. Still, better safe than sorry.

I remember that one time my whole fleet had to spend two weeks in quarantine after a port call in Tianjin 16 years ago. Something about a novel coronavirus outbreak. They got it under control in a couple days, so there was never really any danger of it spreading. I myself never got infected, but it was boring. I was stuck in my quarters for two weeks. Good thing this time is a little better. Quarantine’s only a week and we’re already halfway through. This hotel room has enough amenties and comforts to not bore me out. I get free food delivered to my door every day by a guy in a hazmat suit…although I’m still getting used to chelow kabab. The books are great too. I like the bios—Friedrich de Normandie’s Crusade for Home, Hugo Doukas’ Reminiscences, and Osterhild Anniona’s An Autobiography—but I wish they had at least one Percy Johanson book, or maybe something from A Symphony of Frost and Flame. I wonder how the others are taking quarantine. Angelica’s been very quiet lately, although I know she’s in the next room over.

Tania got her breakfast ready and turned on the TV. The Internet and satellite connection was very good here. As always, the news was on.

“And now, our continuing coverage on the war. Samarkand enters its 41st day of siege. The Turkish Army continues to hold out against the Jerusalemite onslaught, thanks to airlifts from the Persian Air Force and our Afghan allies. The Imperial Chinese Army’s advance into eastern Turkestan has also been stalled, both by Turkish forces and Crusaders. In an address broadcast to the nation last night, Padishah Bayezid declared he would give up the city to neither Jerusalem nor China, and the Turkish people would do whatever it takes to hold out until reinforcements from the rest of the CAC arrived.”

“We Turks have endured for centuries,” Bayezid said, “We have fought off the Mongols, Timurids, Indians, and Chinese when they sought to control our destiny. Now we continue that legacy today, as Turkestan enters its darkest hour. I call upon all of my fellow citizens to give their all to the defense of Samarkand. As long as we hold the Jewel of Central Asia, the ancient capital of Timur and Osman, our enemies will not prevail!”

“In the west, Schengen forces have secured many decisive victories in the Baltics, with more on the way. Jerusalem continues its retreat from Vilnius, with the forces of General Lev Konstantinov in close pursuit. Now working closely with Chancellor Boris Bradziunas, who had drafted himself into his former role as general, and the Commonwealth Land Force, Konstantinov continues his march west to the border. Thanks to Konstantinov, a Crusader army was routed at the town of Bialystock, while in the Gulf of Riga, fleets from Livonia, Scandinavia, and the remnant Russian Navy are gradually gaining the upper hand against the Holy Marine’s First Cherubim Fleet. Bradziunas promises a decisive shift in the war’s fortunes by mid-January.”

“It is clear Jerusalem is a paper tiger,” Boris said, “For all the bluster and devastation they caused in November, they do not have the firepower or manpower to back it up. Although their troops are all over the world and in large numbers, there is little supporting or coordinating them. It feels at times like there is little leadership at the top. We have only to push hard and fast in the right spot and at the right time, and Jerusalem will fall apart. I promise you, Konstantinov and I will find that right spot and time.”

“Despite the chemical scouring of Scandinavia, the death of the Fylkja, and the near total elimination of the Hogting, the emergency government in Tingvalla has made significant progress maintaining order in unaffected areas. While major cities like Stockholm, Helsinki, and Copenhagen remain uninhabitable, some stability has been restored in the interior plains and mountains. Thousands of refugees from the cities and coasts have fled inland to escape the gas and anarchy for the safety of the interior. The emergency government has set up large camps around Tingvalla and other nearby towns to house these refugees, stressing the safety and well-being of all Scandinavians as its highest priority. However, this has put significant economic and logistical strain on the Scandinavian military. Although the navy can rely on Livonian and even some Eimerican fleets to back it up, the army, despite having a smaller amount of territory to defend, has found it increasingly difficult to repel the repeated Crusader incursions into Denmark, as well as suppress bandits and raiders taking advantage of the chaos. Many in the refugee camps are expressing their worries.”

A woman from the Tingvalla camp appeared on screen. “I’m worried for me and my family. I barely escaped Jerusalem with my life. They were trying to kill me because of who I loved. If they were to come here, I fear they could try it again. I don’t want to go through that again. I don’t want to put my son through that.”

Tania heard Angelica yelling something from the next room over.

“Jerusalem continues reeling from the recent cyberattacks carried out by the Korean government. The recent joint operation between Livonia’s Tiger’s Defense and Korea’s Cyber Operations Agency has caused widespread infrastructure shutdowns, communications disruption, and economic confusion. Various BGP attacks spearheaded by Tiger’s Defense have rendered many important Jerusalemite websites unreachable, while DDOS attacks launched from Korea have shut down critical Jerusalemite servers. The Regency has vowed a ‘swift and proportionate retribution’. General Kowalski, leader of Tiger’s Defense, promises that will not happen.”

“This was an unprecedented operation carried on an unprecedented scale,” Kowalski said, “This could only have been achieved by working so closely with the Koreans, and I thank them for their cooperation. While Schengen and the Tianxia may have their differences, and we have come to blows for many reasons, Korea has no quarrels with Schengen and is more than willing to work with us against a common enemy. We genuinely appreciate this gesture.”

“In Southeast Asia, the Ryukyuan Three Mountains Defense Force continues its amphibious operations on the southeastern coast of Sumatra. Having arrived at their destination in mid-December, the SZI has transitioned from a primarily mobile naval armada into a floating coastal fortress providing air and artillery support for Ryukyuan marines on the beaches near the Jerusalem-occupied town of Tanjunpinang. The goal of the daring and extremely risky so-called Operation Shikata Ga Nai is to dislodge Jerusalem’s stranglehold on Sumatra and resume the free flow of not only military supplies for the loyalist Kaiserliche Marine in the Pacific but also civilian trade and commerce. We now go live to the SZI Sanzan, where Fleet Admiral Higa Ryunosuke, the mastermind behind Operation SGN. Admiral?”

A 40-something man in a blue Ryukyuan admiral’s uniform appeared on screen. He was in his quarters, casually relaxing on his bed. Although he wore his uniform, he looked like he had only just gotten out of bed; a pin with the black and blue mitsudomoe symbolizing Ryukyu had been hastily attached to his collar and was constantly on the verge of falling out. Which was weird because if it was morning in Persia, then it should be around noon in Sumatra. He was certainly more laid back than Tania had expected.

,” Ryunosuke said.

“Hello, Admiral Higa. Thank you for joining us today.”

“Pleasure’s all mine.”

“Now, Admiral, I understand you just arrived in Sumatra, after several weeks at sea. Can you describe how you feel about finally reaching your destination?”

“Well, I should be feeling relieved we made it here in one piece, with minimal casualties. But I can’t. Getting here was only the first part of our operation. Our job didn’t end when we landed on the beaches of Tanjunpinang. It won’t even end when the island is liberated. It will only end when this war does. Only then can I relax.”

“On that subject, you recently had a roadblock on your trip south. Of course, I’m referring to the Battle of Hoang Sa. How did you survive against the Chinese and Penglai onslaught, despite being outnumbered and outgunned?”

“Well, it was pretty simple, really. Growing up, I practiced aikido after school. At the very center of aikido is the principle of aichi, as we call it. It’s kind of hard to explain what it is, but at its most basic, it is a principle that would allow you to take advantage of and redirect your opponent’s power. An aichi practitioner, fending off an attack from a superior foe, is able to control the direction of the attack, and thus the attacker. They are able to lead their attacker into an unstable position, in which they are caught off balance; knowing we could not fight both the Chinese and Penglairen at the same time, we moved in such a way to manipulate them into attacking each other. As the attacker lose balance, their control weakens, and the practitioner’s influence grows; by attacking each other, the Chinese and Penglairen lose their strength and any advantage they could have gained with their original numbers and positioning. The practitioner makes use of tactics like shifting weight and applying the needed level pressure, from the subtle to the obvious. While we initially adopted a defensive stance, we did not stay there the whole battle. Instead, we applied pressure by harassing any isolated or overwhelmed targets—constant pressure and stance changing to keep them unbalanced—kuzushi—and in the position we want them to be in. Finally, the practitioner may negate a defensive action from their attacker or defend in such a way that the attacker’s response would put them in even more danger. Once our numbers were more equal, we lured the Chinese out with an apparently conventional attack, only for that to be a disguise for our real offensive, which they were not prepared for. A coordinated mind and body is the key to victory. The reason we won at Hoang Sa was because our opponents were overconfident and underestimated us. Their minds and bodies were not moving in unison.”

“You seem to have no trouble sharing your own tactics on live TV broadcast worldwide.”

Ryunosuke shrugged. “I have nothing to hide. I doubt my enemies would even listen or care. Even after Hoang Sa, I don’t think they learned their lesson. Otherwise, they would have wiped out my fleet long before we reached Sumatra. Underestimate us at your peril.”

“So you’re not concerned your enemies may study your tactics and learn to counter them?”

“My tactics were clearly on display at Hoang Sa. Nothing I said here is anything new. Everything said to you was done at Hoang Sa. They have plenty of video footage of that battle. It’s up to them to watch the footage and learn from it. But I don’t think the anti-intellectuals in Nanjing and Aojing are the kind of people who study.”

“Alright, then, moving on. What do you consider to be your biggest challenge?”

“Well, it may not come as a surprise to you, given recent events. But it was that time in January 2009 when my account was suspended due to copyright violations.”

“Ah, I remember watching your video ‘How To Be Yakuza’ as a kid. That whole year your videos kept getting taken down.”

Ū, that was not my proudest moment. But I pushed through it. I stopped using copyrighted music and started composing my own music. By next year, I had gotten all of my videos back. Now I can fight the Tianxia just fine, but copyright claims are no joke, even back in those days.”

“I know how you feel. Even our own official channel gets hit with copyright strikes sometimes. Anyways, moving on. How do you feel about the situation in the Pacific?”

“I’d be lying if I didn’t say it could be better,. Tawantinsuyu and Fusang are duking it out in the east, which is nice, but I have to deal with both China and Penglai and hope Vietnam, Nusantara, and Qiandao back me up. But shikata ga nai.” Ryunosuke shrugged. “Everything hinges on us liberating Sumatra now, so supplies and reinforcements can come in from India and East Africa. Maybe Srivijaya can stabilize and push back Penglai, while we focus on China.”

“Don’t you think it’s a little ambitious for a nation like Ryukyu to take on the second best navy in the world?”

“I’ve been told that my whole life. That it’s ambitious for people like me to take on much bigger targets. Hell, our entire history we’ve been told the same thing. ‘Ryukyu is a poor small island off the coast of China’, they say, ‘Ryukyu can’t and will never amount to much on the world stage.’ To that, I say aibiran. They may have told us that for centuries, but our history tells another story too: everyone underestimates us. They think we’re weak because we’re just a small island in the western Pacific whose chief export is me as an Internet star. They think we can’t do anything. They think it’s safe to ignore us. But they’re completely wrong. Because the instant they ignore us, that is when we strike. The Mongols tried invading us all the way back in the 13th century. We destroyed their fleet before they even got halfway between the mainland and our islands. The Japanese should be thanking us for saving them as well, because that fleet would’ve gone on to them after us. But instead, the Satsuma clan and later the Shiba shoguns tried to invade us. We sunk their ships as well. In 1592, the Koreans tried their luck. They actually considered us seriously, sending a huge armada under their legendary admiral Yi Sun-sin. You know him?”

“Honestly, admiral, I’m not that familiar with Korean history.”

“Well, unlike the last three invaders, he actually took the time to study us. Learning what guns we had, what ship models made up most of our fleet, our commanders and their relationships with each other, and what tactics we would use. That was one war we almost lost. He managed to land troops on our islands. Only reason we weren’t conquered was because we sunk enough of his ships. But he sunk a lot of our ships too. So we called it a draw.”

“A…draw.”

“Korea didn’t conquer us, but it wasn’t a victory for us either. Since then, Yi Sun-sin has been the only enemy commander to even set foot on Ryukyu. We’ve got no hard feelings against him, though. Any enemy who actually walks on our islands deserves our respect. We even have a few shrines dedicated to him, on the beach he landed on. He was a worthy opponent, unlike everybody before or afterward. Nobody since him has been as successful. The Shibas failed again, even with all of Japan under their rule. The Fuxingyundong revolutionaries tried and failed; we only joined the Chinese Empire on our own terms, and even then we retained a lot of autonomy. So did the Angeloi and Rasas. Hoang Sa was only the latest in a long string of ‘unexpected’ victories for us.”

“So you’re saying you only win because everyone underestimates you.”

“That, and we have a ridiculously large navy.”

“What are you going to do next?”

“We’ll help liberate Sumatra. Shore up the loyalist defenses, eradicate the remaining Crusaders. Keep the straits open. Afterward? Well, it depends on what happens in Sumatra. I hear Srivijaya is trying to negotiate a ceasefire in the Pacific, but I doubt it’ll go through.”

“Did you ever think you would ever be here when you started out? You did start out making viral videos.”

“I don’t think the me of thirty years ago would have imagined he’d end up invading Sumatra and fighting China, Penglai, and Jerusalem at the same time. It’s been a long journey for me. But it’s not over yet. All of us here in the SZI have a long road ahead of us.”

“Unfortunately, we’re running short on time, and we probably shouldn’t keep you away from your job too long. Before we call it today, is there anything you would say to all of your detractors and enemies?”

Ryunosuke paused for a moment. Then he looked straight at the camera.

“TEE HEE!”

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am glad that everyone made it to Persia alright.

It would take much more than a simple EMP to break that conditioning, though.
Yea. Even if they do break their conditioning somehow they will probably think that they are in too deep to be able to redeem themselves leading them to become similar to what Josh is like now.

“No, I was talking about Persia,” Wilhelmina said, “It’s been right next door to Jerusalem all this time, and yet it’s held out against all odds. Why not just attack into Mesopotamia?”

“You do have a point,” Leyla said, “Persia’s military is the most intact of all of the Schengen militaries. Our infrastructure is also in good shape. But it appears Gunduz’s current strategy is to focus on Turkestan.”

“What if that’s a diversion?” Wilhelmina said.

“How could that be?” Gebhard said. “It’s clear the Crusaders simply attacked out from their garrisons in eastern Turkestan. They just want to overrun the whole country and then use it as a staging ground to attack into China and Persia.”

“And in an invasion of Persia, they would attack from both Mesopotamia and Turkestan,” Wilhelmina said.

“Yes, that’s likely,” Gebhard said, “That’s how the old Reich used to fight with Persia, at least on the Mesopotamia part.”

“So wouldn’t it make more sense if we attacked Mesopotamia first?” Wilhelmina said. “Deny them the chance to carry out a pincer attack and open up another front they have to defend on. Take the fight to them, instead of waiting for them to come to us in Persia. Then their troops in Turkestan would be even more cut off, and we can finish them off separately.”
“And now, our continuing coverage on the war. Samarkand enters its 41st day of siege. The Turkish Army continues to hold out against the Jerusalemite onslaught, thanks to airlifts from the Persian Air Force and our Afghan allies. The Imperial Chinese Army’s advance into eastern Turkestan has also been stalled, both by Turkish forces and Crusaders. In an address broadcast to the nation last night, Padishah Bayezid declared he would give up the city to neither Jerusalem nor China, and the Turkish people would do whatever it takes to hold out until reinforcements from the rest of the CAC arrived.”

“We Turks have endured for centuries,” Bayezid said, “We have fought off the Mongols, Timurids, Indians, and Chinese when they sought to control our destiny. Now we continue that legacy today, as Turkestan enters its darkest hour. I call upon all of my fellow citizens to give their all to the defense of Samarkand. As long as we hold the Jewel of Central Asia, the ancient capital of Timur and Osman, our enemies will not prevail!”

“In the west, Schengen forces have secured many decisive victories in the Baltics, with more on the way. Jerusalem continues its retreat from Vilnius, with the forces of General Lev Konstantinov in close pursuit. Now working closely with Chancellor Boris Bradziunas, who had drafted himself into his former role as general, and the Commonwealth Land Force, Konstantinov continues his march west to the border. Thanks to Konstantinov, a Crusader army was routed at the town of Bialystock, while in the Gulf of Riga, fleets from Livonia, Scandinavia, and the remnant Russian Navy are gradually gaining the upper hand against the Holy Marine’s First Cherubim Fleet. Bradziunas promises a decisive shift in the war’s fortunes by mid-January.”

“It is clear Jerusalem is a paper tiger,” Boris said, “For all the bluster and devastation they caused in November, they do not have the firepower or manpower to back it up. Although their troops are all over the world and in large numbers, there is little supporting or coordinating them. It feels at times like there is little leadership at the top. We have only to push hard and fast in the right spot and at the right time, and Jerusalem will fall apart. I promise you, Konstantinov and I will find that right spot and time.”

“Despite the chemical scouring of Scandinavia, the death of the Fylkja, and the near total elimination of the Hogting, the emergency government in Tingvalla has made significant progress maintaining order in unaffected areas. While major cities like Stockholm, Helsinki, and Copenhagen remain uninhabitable, some stability has been restored in the interior plains and mountains. Thousands of refugees from the cities and coasts have fled inland to escape the gas and anarchy for the safety of the interior. The emergency government has set up large camps around Tingvalla and other nearby towns to house these refugees, stressing the safety and well-being of all Scandinavians as its highest priority. However, this has put significant economic and logistical strain on the Scandinavian military. Although the navy can rely on Livonian and even some Eimerican fleets to back it up, the army, despite having a smaller amount of territory to defend, has found it increasingly difficult to repel the repeated Crusader incursions into Denmark, as well as suppress bandits and raiders taking advantage of the chaos.
“Jerusalem continues reeling from the recent cyberattacks carried out by the Korean government. The recent joint operation between Livonia’s Tiger’s Defense and Korea’s Cyber Operations Agency has caused widespread infrastructure shutdowns, communications disruption, and economic confusion. Various BGP attacks spearheaded by Tiger’s Defense have rendered many important Jerusalemite websites unreachable, while DDOS attacks launched from Korea have shut down critical Jerusalemite servers. The Regency has vowed a ‘swift and proportionate retribution’. General Kowalski, leader of Tiger’s Defense, promises that will not happen.”

“This was an unprecedented operation carried on an unprecedented scale,” Kowalski said, “This could only have been achieved by working so closely with the Koreans, and I thank them for their cooperation. While Schengen and the Tianxia may have their differences, and we have come to blows for many reasons, Korea has no quarrels with Schengen and is more than willing to work with us against a common enemy. We genuinely appreciate this gesture.”

“In Southeast Asia, the Ryukyuan Three Mountains Defense Force continues its amphibious operations on the southeastern coast of Sumatra. Having arrived at their destination in mid-December, the SZI has transitioned from a primarily mobile naval armada into a floating coastal fortress providing air and artillery support for Ryukyuan marines on the beaches near the Jerusalem-occupied town of Tanjunpinang. The goal of the daring and extremely risky so-called Operation Shikata Ga Nai is to dislodge Jerusalem’s stranglehold on Sumatra and resume the free flow of not only military supplies for the loyalist Kaiserliche Marine in the Pacific but also civilian trade and commerce.
At least the "free world" is not going down without a fight and even wining in some cases. I am crossing my fingers.

Tawantinsuyu and Fusang are duking it out in the east, which is nice,
Wait a minuet I thought that Tawantinsuyu and Fusang were both part of Tianxia so why are they fighting each other?

Speaking of I have some questions for Tianxia that being about Italy. I know that you had a conversation with @CaptainAlvious in were there could be a republican South Italy, a Latin Commune or Papal state, and Lombardi kingdom and Republic of Venice.

My idea would be similar but to do have a Socialist Republic of Italy in the northwest, a Republic of Venice in the northeast since I think the Italian trade republics still exist in some form up to 1936, a Papal state controlling Rome, the remnants of the Republic of Genoa controlling Sardinia instead of the followers of King Emanuel Philibert like in OTL's Kaiserreich, lastly ingested of the Two Sicilies ruling the south maybe the remnants of the Kingdom of Lombardi lead by the Salians could rule instead?

Yea. Even if they do break their conditioning somehow they will probably think that they are in too deep to be able to redeem themselves leading them to become similar to what Josh is like now.
Or maybe they already genuinely believed in Jerusalem's cause to begin with, and the conditioning only enhanced and encouraged those feelings.
At least the "free world" is not going down without a fight and even wining in some cases. I am crossing my fingers.
Keep those fingers crossed, then.
Wait a minuet I thought that Tawantinsuyu and Fusang were both part of Tianxia so why are they fighting each other?
No, Tawantinsuyu is on the Eimerican side, while Fusang has sided with the Tianxia.
My idea would be similar but to do have a Socialist Republic of Italy in the northwest, a Republic of Venice in the northeast since I think the Italian trade republics still exist in some form up to 1936, a Papal state controlling Rome, the remnants of the Republic of Genoa controlling Sardinia instead of the followers of King Emanuel Philibert like in OTL's Kaiserreich, lastly ingested of the Two Sicilies ruling the south maybe the remnants of the Kingdom of Lombardi lead by the Salians could rule instead?
Well, Lombardy is based in northern Italy, so I don't think a "Kingdom of Lombardy" in the south makes sense.

Well, Lombardy is based in northern Italy, so I don't think a "Kingdom of Lombardy" in the south makes sense.
Oh okay. My reasoning for that was in OTL between 568-774 CE the Kingdom of the Lombards ruled the parts of Italy not under the Eastern Roman Empire and after they were attacked by the Franks the Lombards continued to rule the Duchy of Benevento in the south. So I was using that analogy for Tianxia's version of the Two Sicilies.

It's all coming together out there in Persia, I feel like once again a climactic confrontation is gonna take place there between everyone involved, and no doubt whoever wins will bring about the end of an age, and the start of another. Just like it did during the Timurid invasions centuries ago. History sure rhymes eh? Also, I still amused at the thought of Ryan Higa being a Ryukyun admiral and having scored a victory that was down to sheer luck and the enemy being incompetent as hell. I love that bit on Admiral Yi btw, good to know that's another OTL figure that made it, and being the only one the Ryukyans had respect, that's a hell of an achievement.

Love the blunt confidence from Ryunosuke here, that he's been open about his tactics before and it hasn't made a difference.

Oh okay. My reasoning for that was in OTL between 568-774 CE the Kingdom of the Lombards ruled the parts of Italy not under the Eastern Roman Empire and after they were attacked by the Franks the Lombards continued to rule the Duchy of Benevento in the south. So I was using that analogy for Tianxia's version of the Two Sicilies.

Still, perhaps you could call it the "Duchy of Benevento" since calling it "Lombardy" or something would confuse it with the northern Italy region.
It's all coming together out there in Persia, I feel like once again a climactic confrontation is gonna take place there between everyone involved, and no doubt whoever wins will bring about the end of an age, and the start of another. Just like it did during the Timurid invasions centuries ago. History sure rhymes eh? Also, I still amused at the thought of Ryan Higa being a Ryukyun admiral and having scored a victory that was down to sheer luck and the enemy being incompetent as hell. I love that bit on Admiral Yi btw, good to know that's another OTL figure that made it, and being the only one the Ryukyans had respect, that's a hell of an achievement.
The least I could do for Yi Sun-Sin. Guy just had to be a legend here as well.
Love the blunt confidence from Ryunosuke here, that he's been open about his tactics before and it hasn't made a difference.
He knows exactly what kind of enemy he's up against: an enemy that's already assured itself of its own superiority and victory which will never adapt to changing circumstances.

Very much an easteregg and reference heavy update here, especially with the callbacks to the bios and cultural discissions we've had here. I was surprised to see Yi Sun-Sin still exist here, but I'm glad since I found his exploits in OTL fighting off the Japanese very interesting.

The fact the free world seems to be doing well against China and Jerusalem and their confidence in it makes me worried about when the shoe drops, knowing how we can't have good things in this arc. Hopefully Ryan Higa is right about these regimes not learning from their mistakes, because Schengen might be screwed the moment Jerusalem and China get their shit together.
Still, perhaps you could call it the "Duchy of Benevento" since calling it "Lombardy" or something would confuse it with the northern Italy region.
Speaking of I have some questions for Tianxia that being about Italy. I know that you had a conversation with @CaptainAlvious in were there could be a republican South Italy, a Latin Commune or Papal state, and Lombardi kingdom and Republic of Venice.

I like this take on Tianxia Italy. I'm also thinking Schweinfurt Carthage should also control the islands of Sicily and Malta as well to represent Schweinfurt loyalists and supporters of the military dictatorship in Carthage, to set up conflict and interactions between the Italians and their former Schweinfurt Carthaginian rulers. Also, you could have house Salian run Venice as the only kingdom in Italy, through having Venice become a republic again and the Salians ruling Bulgaria in exile works with the lore too.

Last edited:
Very much an easteregg and reference heavy update here, especially with the callbacks to the bios and cultural discissions we've had here. I was surprised to see Yi Sun-Sin still exist here, but I'm glad since I found his exploits in OTL fighting off the Japanese very interesting.
I couldn't not talk about him, since he was a very interesting person in real life and I wanted to see what he got up to here.
The fact the free world seems to be doing well against China and Jerusalem and their confidence in it makes me worried about when the shoe drops, knowing how we can't have good things in this arc. Hopefully Ryan Higa is right about these regimes not learning from their mistakes, because Schengen might be screwed the moment Jerusalem and China get their shit together.
If Jerusalem and China do get their act together, Schengen would instantly turn into a radioactive crater, followed by both Jerusalem and China. The totalitarian superpowers' incompetence is the only thing keeping humanity alive right now.
I like this take on Tianxia Italy. I'm also thinking Schweinfurt Carthage should also control the islands of Sicily and Malta as well to represent Schweinfurt loyalists and supporters of the military dictatorship in Carthage, to set up conflict and interactions between the Italians and their former Schweinfurt Carthaginian rulers. Also, you could have house Salian run Venice as the only kingdom in Italy, through having Venice become a republic again and the Salians ruling Bulgaria in exile works with the lore too.
I like the Venetian republic thing, could also tie in with any of the far left republics we had scattered around Europe.

A Persian Welcome, Part 2

Isfahan - December 31

It was Day 4 of Angelica’s quarantine. A man in a hazmat suit sat across from her, typing notes on a tablet.

“Let me get this straight. From what you told me…you were a rebel in Bremerhaven, then after it got nuked you trekked all the way to Gallia, where you hung out with all sorts of rebels ranging from the Scandinavian admiral next door to a Schweinfurt noble. Then you came across this Pesah sample, knew what it was, and then made yet another cross-country trek to our doorstep just to deliver it to us.”

“Yeah, that about sums it up.” Angelica casually stretched in her chair. “You saying I’m a spy or something?”

“If you were a spy, you sure chose the most horrible and stupid way to infiltrate Persia, so no, I won’t say that. Though Jerusalem’s track record is making me reconsider. Still, do you know anything about proper biohazard containment?”

“No, that wasn’t my field of specialty in the Athanatoi. But I read up on that one time Anne got infected with XA-1005C during the last war and took some hints.”

“You know you’re lucky half of Eurasia isn’t currently dead from a super smallpox epidemic, right?”

“Yeah, I totally think about that hypothetical incident every time I go to sleep in my quarantine room.”

“So do you know anything else about Pesah?”

“No, I told you everything already. As I told you three times before, I’m not a biohazard specialist. Don’t you have those? Or did I pick the wrong country to trek across Jerusalem to? When can I go?”

“Got any plans?”

“I don’t know, really. Probably meet up with the others and hit the streets. I want a good glass of wine and a nice shower after the hell I’ve been through. Maybe call up my friend Clara.”

She leaned across the table. “Okay, now I have some questions of my own.”

“You do understand this is your debriefing, right?”

Angelica smiled. “Too bad, you’re going to answer my questions now. Have you seen Tania’s bullets? Please do, they’re really cool. Bailed us out tons of times.”

And frakked us over tons of times too. Looking at you, border incident.

“I’m not at liberty to discuss that—”

“How about August? You know he’s one of Jerusalem’s targets. They murdered his family. They may send someone to finish the job. What are you going to do about Julian too? Kid’s probably still young enough to go to high school or college, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to actually send him to one.”

“Look, lady, I don’t know—”

“Is Tania going back to Scandinavia? Would be a shame if she went. I’d definitely miss her. We didn’t really get along that well at first, and I don’t want to say this to her face right now, but…I’m glad we met. She’s watched my back and bailed me out plenty of times. I’m glad she’s my friend.”

“Okay, I think we’re going off—”

“What about Billy and Ruby? I hope you have housing for them. Though I’m more concerned with getting them therapy, after what they went through. Or are you going to fast track them into the Persian army?”

“What—I—why are you—”

“Well, I’m a bit bored. On you for not providing enough entertainment for me while I’m cooped up in here.”

Shahanshah Yunus Isfahan Central Station - January 1, 2039

“Now arriving at…Isfahan Central. Happy New Year!”

Wilhelmina stirred awake. She put on her glasses and looked out the window, seeing the train slow down as it passed several busy city streets before pulling into a bustling station.

Izinchi loudly yawned. “Ach, that was a nice nap. Haven’t had one in a long time. And ta think a proper bed’s still waiting!”

“At least you get to sleep,” Gebhard said, “I’m going straight to a military briefing. They want me to help with Samarkand.”

“Can’t that wait until tomorrow? I’m speaking at the Majlis in like a week.”

“Lucky you…” Gebhard rolled his eyes.

Wilhelmina looked at Friedrich and Ilyana, who had cuddled up with each other while they slept. They looked pretty adorable like that, but unfortunately, they had to go. The train jerked a little as it slowed down more, waking the two of them up. They slowly opened their eyes and realized their positions.

“Ilyana?”

“…Ricky?”

They stared at each other for a second, their cheeks red, and then immediately recoiled in opposite directions, screaming at the top of their lungs.

“EW! Girls!”

“Ricky, get away from me! Boys…”

The adults snickered among themselves.

“Ah, to be their age again,” Wilhelmina said.

Franz always got flustered easily, the way Friedrich did just now.

They gathered their belongings and walked to the door.

“Excited, Friedrich?” Wilhelmina said.

“I miss Heidi,” Friedrich said.

“Don’t worry, she has her own train. We can visit her at the stables later on.”

The door opened with a chime. Gebhard beckoned to Wilhelmina.

“Well? You first, Princess.”

Wilhelmina stepped off, leading Friedrich and Ilyana behind her. She stepped onto the platform, feeling the flat concrete under her feet. She looked around her, taking in the sights of the station. It was morning. People were getting on and off trains for their daily commute. There were merchants sitting out by the entrances, playing traditional music and hawking their wares.

“Princess Four-Eyes. So focused on looking at everything around you that you forget about what’s right in front of you.”

Wilhelmina totally forgot there was someone standing in front of her. She focused her eyes in front again. Not that she needed to do that to know who she was speaking to. Only one person spoke like that to her.

“Hello, Willie,” Gunduz said.

Wilhelmina held out her hand. “Gunduz. It’s been a while.”

“Try forty years.” Gunduz didn’t shake her hand.

“Ah, yes, 1997. What was that for again?”

Gunduz crossed her arms. “Hassan’s investiture ceremony, idiot.”

I remember what her brother was like. Fun guy. He was always down to play with us. But when he became shah, he changed. Got very serious. Way too serious. He made Gunduz look like me.

“Still sharp-tongued as ever, I see. What happened to your voice? It’s way more raspy than I remember. You took up smoking like your old man?”

“Don’t be silly.” Gunduz shot her a glare. “Persia has the worst cigarettes. Never even tried. I don’t know why Dad liked them so much. What, you thought I’d be filling the station with smoke?”

“I didn’t even think you’d come out to greet me today. You’re really here for me?”

“You think I came all the way here for a frakking picnic? It wouldn’t look nice if I didn’t show up to help a princess out. Especially one I have a history with.”

“Gee, that’s really reassuring.”

“It-It’s not like I wanted to come!” Gunduz looked away.

“You tell yourself that. But I’ve got a lot of very serious things to catch up on.”

“Like what?”

Wilhelmina solemnly put a hand on Gunduz’s shoulder. “That Final Fantasy VII save we never finished. I remember we got to Disk 2.”

“What, you never played it on your own time?”

I did, but I wanted to play through it with you as we planned.

“I see you’re still invested.” Wilhelmina grinned.

“Am not! I’m the frakking Shahbanu! I don’t have time for this!” Gunduz looked flustered.

“But apparently you do.”

“I do not!”

Ali Qapu Palace

Gunduz’s car pulled up to the palace. The façade looked just like it did forty years ago. The palace was designed in a beautiful 17th-century Persian style, with Zoroastrian, Zunist, and Islamic influences. It was wider than it was tall, although it still looked like it had six floors.

“You didn’t make any upgrades, did you?” Wilhelmina said.

“Other than the necessary stuff, no. My dad and brother already did some renovations of their own, so I saw no need.”

“Please tell me you’ve got modern beds,” Izinchi said.

“I don’t think there’s any difference between 1997 and 2037 beds.”

“Where’s the library?” Ilyana said.

Gunduz lit up. “Ah, eager to read at your age, young lady? Your parents taught you well.”

“I doubt it, because they’re dead.”

Ouch. Pulling no punches, even to the Shahbanu herself.

“…Oh. My apologies.”

“Imagine that, Gunduz apologizing.” Wilhelmina playfully jabbed Gunduz’s arm.

“Willie, I may be sharp-tongued, but I’m not a jerk.”

“Says the lady who never gave FFVII back.”

“Anyways, the library is on the second floor. Though I should warn you it’s currently reserved long-term for my other guests working in the lab.”

What do the scientists need with the library? I doubt Gunduz has a bunch of technical manuals lying around there.

“At least tell me the sixth floor is still the Music Hall.”

“Wouldn’t remove that for the world.”

First chance I get, I’m convincing the palace musicians to put on a Fire Emblem music concert.

They got out of the car and entered the palace. The inside was still decorated as Wilhelmina remembered. Beautiful Persian rugs covered the floor. The doors and windows were all highly ornamented in a way which reminded Wilhelmina of stained glass windows in European cathedrals. Many naturalistic paintings—showing various flowers, animals, and birds—hung on the walls, showing off the best works of Persia’s artists.

“I love the paintings,” Izinchi said.

“Thanks. I handpicked the selection myself.”

“You have great taste in art.”

“Yes, unlike my dear brother Hassan, rest in peace.”

Pfft. You should’ve seen the stuff she bought 40 years ago.

“So…” Gebhard said. “I hate to mention the elephant in the room, but…Samarkand.”

“We are still in the middle of planning our offensive. We should be ready to strike by the middle of the month.”

An offensive to relieve Samarkand from Jerusalem. But where would the troops come from?

“Where are we getting the numbers to take Samarkand?” Wilhelmina said.

Gunduz looked at her. “I never took you for a military enthusiast, outside of Fire Emblem.”

“Well, strange times have led me to new hobbies.”

“Willie, why don’t you leave this to the pros?”

“I never took you for a tactician either.”

Gunduz sighed. “Fine. We’re pulling back forces from the western border to concentrate on Samarkand.”

“The western border…which is our only line of defense against Jerusalem. And you want to weaken it.”

“Willie, the border is already overdefended. We’re effectively wasting troops guarding it. We have so many troops stationed there the Crusaders have launched only one attack since the war began. One attack we easily repelled. They haven’t tried again since then.”

“They might try if you pull troops away from the border.”

“I doubt it.”

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but last I remember, you didn’t graduate at the top of your class from the War Academy.”

“Well, neither did you.”

“At least I communicate regularly with my generals, instead of sitting in my room playing video games!”

“At least you have generals to talk to. The Crusaders destroyed my entire collection in Tsarberg, and I’ve only got a single general to talk to these days.”

“I’m just as in the dark as she is,” Gebhard said.

“Willie, you’re way in over your head. My generals have signed off on the order. Our projections estimate minimal to no territory loss.”

“You withdraw those troops, you’ll end up like Russia.”

“Russia barely had an army to station on the border. Kirova was already withdrawing her troops before the war began. I have no desire to end up like her.”

“Russia fell because the Crusaders rushed up along the Livonian border to Tsarberg within a week, avoiding most of the actual Jerusalem-Russia border. Olga was only trying to pull back to the cities to protect the evacuation. I fear the Crusaders might pull the same strategy with Persia.”

“I have to agree,” Gebhard said, “From the reports I’ve seen, there seems to be a naval buildup in the Persian Gulf. There are troops massing on the Arabian coast. Presumably to invade Bandar Legeh.”

Gunduz threw up her hands. “Alright, Willie, fine! If you’re so knowledgeable about the war, why don’t you enlighten me and my generals over what we should actually do? Let Samarkand fall? Open the gates and hand over the keys? ‘Hey Crusaders, you can have the city, goodbye.’ Like that?”

“No, I was thinking we don’t give up Samarkand,” Wilhelmina said, “But we don’t weaken our position in the west either.”

“And what the frak is that supposed to accomplish?”

“Because we’re going to use those forces to invade Mesopotamia.”

Gunduz stared at her. “Okay…did I hear you say ‘do nothing and everything will be fine’?”

“You heard me. If we’re wasting the troops on the western border, we could put them to use opening up another front.”

Gunduz opened her mouth again, but she couldn’t find anything to say.”

Ha! For once, you’re speechless!

“W-What…what you’re suggesting is…is complete suicide!” Gunduz finally managed. “I can’t just send half my army to invade Jerusalem itself!”

“It may seem daunting on paper, but consider the circumstances,” Wilhelmina said, “Mesopotamia and Arabia have never been fans of Jerusalem. Baghdad, Beirut, and bunch of other cities in the Middle East got nuked. Arabia’s been turned into one huge camp for political dissidents, Arabs, Jews, and Muslims, among others. Jerusalem’s grip in the area is tenuous at best. And the Crusaders are currently tied up fighting the Russians and Livonians up in the Baltics. I hear Boris Bradziunas is putting up quite a fight now that he has the entire Russian Army backing him up. I also hear Yavdi’s planning an invasion of Taurica from Astrakhan, and Mali and East Africa are putting pressure on Jerusalem’s African territories. If we hit Jerusalem at the same time as the Russians, Livonians, Yavdians, Malians, and East Africans do, we could break through. If anything, we could open up another front that would divide their forces even further, possibly creating a breakthrough somewhere else.”

“Gunduz, ma’am, listen to her,” Gebhard said, “It’s clear Jerusalem isn’t as well organized as we thought. By all accounts, the Russians should’ve been annihilated, but they weren’t. Konstantinov’s gone from victory to victory in the Baltics. The Yavdians have safely consolidated much of their forces at Astrakhan without much interference. If we take the fight to Mesopotamia, we’d take pressure off Persia and the CAC. Supply lines to the Crusaders in Turkestan and Yavdi would become far harder to maintain when we’re hitting Mesopotamia.”

Gunduz thought a moment. Then she chuckled.

“I’d never thought I’d be taking advice from someone whose only knowledge of battlefield tactics comes from Fire Emblem.”

“Says the woman whose only experience with battlefield tactics comes from Valkyria Chronicles,” Wilhelmina said.

“Franz told you?”

“Why wouldn’t he?”

Franz told me you liked Valkyria Chronicles more because you could plow through walls and run over enemies with a tank. I like those games, but where’s the strategy in that?!

Gunduz puffed and shook her head. “Damnit, Franz. Alright, I’ll bring it up with the generals at the next meeting. Actually, you can come with me and explain it to them yourself. I’ll order a hold on the western troops’ transfer for now, but the Samarkand operation will continue without them. I’ll talk to the Afghans about sending more troops to meet the numbers. My priority is keeping Samarkand out of enemy hands, because if it falls, there will be nothing stopping either Jerusalem or China from marching into Afghanistan and then Persia. Stabilize Samarkand, and then we can talk about invading Mesopotamia.”

They rounded the corner just as a red-haired woman in a lab coat did as well. She stopped in her tracks and held up a tablet in her hands.

“Ah, Your Highness,” she said, “We’ve got great test results for #1782. The reactor achieved 15% betharium effi—”

She stopped when she saw Wilhelmina. Wilhelmina, for her part, immediately recognized the young woman not only from her red hair and face, but by the Walkman hanging at her side. The Walkman that once belonged to her own mother.

“Hey, Alexandra,” Wilhelmina said.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So it would be the Schweinfurt Carthage keeping Sicily and Malta like how in OTL Sardinia kept the island it was named after. I think I want to keep Venice as a republic as a way to show that not all republics have to be syndicalist and can still be pro-Hohenzollern. Also forgive me for asking if it was mentioned in a previous part but who are House Salian? According to Wikipedia they were a German house who were kings of Germany from 1024-1125. I guess in TTL they could be Dukes of Carinthia which was one of their titles in OTL which covered Northeastern Italy, Austria and Bavaria however I know that the Anniona family would be one of the more likely choices for rulers of Austria if not the Teutonic Order.

I like the Venetian republic thing, could also tie in with any of the far left republics we had scattered around Europe.
Yea. My thinking for Venice would be it replacing the Republic of Italy of OTL's Kaiserreich since in TTL and in the main story Italy was never a unified state. Venice could also be allied with Prussia or the Teutonic Order similarly to how the Republic of Italy in Kaiserreich was allied with Austria. One of the possible rulers of Venice could be Nicholas Dandolo who during this time was the Governor of Italy.

“You heard me. If we’re wasting the troops on the western border, we could put them to use opening up another front.”

Gunduz opened her mouth again, but she couldn’t find anything to say.”

Ha! For once, you’re speechless!
Can I just say I loved the entire conversation between Wilhelmina and Gunduz to the point that I was even laughing out loud at some parts but I think this one has to bee my favorite. It is not often that Gunduz is left speechless.

“It may seem daunting on paper, but consider the circumstances,” Wilhelmina said, “Mesopotamia and Arabia have never been fans of Jerusalem. Baghdad, Beirut, and bunch of other cities in the Middle East got nuked. Arabia’s been turned into one huge camp for political dissidents, Arabs, Jews, and Muslims, among others. Jerusalem’s grip in the area is tenuous at best. And the Crusaders are currently tied up fighting the Russians and Livonians up in the Baltics. I hear Boris Bradziunas is putting up quite a fight now that he has the entire Russian Army backing him up. I also hear Yavdi’s planning an invasion of Taurica from Astrakhan, and Mali and East Africa are putting pressure on Jerusalem’s African territories. If we hit Jerusalem at the same time as the Russians, Livonians, Yavdians, Malians, and East Africans do, we could break through. If anything, we could open up another front that would divide their forces even further, possibly creating a breakthrough somewhere else.”

“Gunduz, ma’am, listen to her,” Gebhard said, “It’s clear Jerusalem isn’t as well organized as we thought. By all accounts, the Russians should’ve been annihilated, but they weren’t. Konstantinov’s gone from victory to victory in the Baltics. The Yavdians have safely consolidated much of their forces at Astrakhan without much interference. If we take the fight to Mesopotamia, we’d take pressure off Persia and the CAC. Supply lines to the Crusaders in Turkestan and Yavdi would become far harder to maintain when we’re hitting Mesopotamia.”
Also both Wilhelmina and Gebhard do make some good points in that the Committees hold on the Middle East is tenuous at best and if all of those other offensives in Eastern Europe and Africa have even a small amount of success it could allow Persia and the CAC to potently breakthrough into the region since the Crusaders would be stretched thin as it is and even one of the strongest militaries can't be everywhere at once.

So it would be the Schweinfurt Carthage keeping Sicily and Malta like how in OTL Sardinia kept the island it was named after. I think I want to keep Venice as a republic as a way to show that not all republics have to be syndicalist and can still be pro-Hohenzollern. Also forgive me for asking if it was mentioned in a previous part but who are House Salian? According to Wikipedia they were a German house who were kings of Germany from 1024-1125. I guess in TTL they could be Dukes of Carinthia which was one of their titles in OTL which covered Northeastern Italy, Austria and Bavaria however I know that the Anniona family would be one of the more likely choices for rulers of Austria if not the Teutonic Order.
To be fair, I think Sardinia started on the island and then expanded onto the mainland.

House Salian contributed Holy Roman Emperors in the mid-11th century, including the Heinrich who preceded Friedrich the Great and started the Investiture Controversy we talked about at length before. In-game I gave them a lot of stuff, but I best remember them ruling the "Kingdom of Venice" in Bulgaria.
Yea. My thinking for Venice would be it replacing the Republic of Italy of OTL's Kaiserreich since in TTL and in the main story Italy was never a unified state. Venice could also be allied with Prussia or the Teutonic Order similarly to how the Republic of Italy in Kaiserreich was allied with Austria. One of the possible rulers of Venice could be Nicholas Dandolo who during this time was the Governor of Italy.
Good ideas.
Can I just say I loved the entire conversation between Wilhelmina and Gunduz to the point that I was even laughing out loud at some parts but I think this one has to bee my favorite. It is not often that Gunduz is left speechless.
Only one person can get under Gunduz the Blunt's skin like that.
Also both Wilhelmina and Gebhard do make some good points in that the Committees hold on the Middle East is tenuous at best and if all of those other offensives in Eastern Europe and Africa have even a small amount of success it could allow Persia and the CAC to potently breakthrough into the region since the Crusaders would be stretched thin as it is and even one of the strongest militaries can't be everywhere at once.
In-game I actually accidentally overextended myself a lot. After beating the Soviets, I had moved all of the troops on the old Cold War borders out to the borders with China in Yavdi, Turkestan, Afghanistan, and India. I didn't move those troops back after Jerusalem happened, so when the war began I had a good chunk of my troops stuck deep in enemy territory and my actual borders barely defended. Good thing most of those armies are large enough to stand on their own though.

I best remember them ruling the "Kingdom of Venice" in Bulgaria.
I'm sorry what? I know border gore in Paradox games are crazy especially in CK2 but still.

In-game I actually accidentally overextended myself a lot. After beating the Soviets, I had moved all of the troops on the old Cold War borders out to the borders with China in Yavdi, Turkestan, Afghanistan, and India. I didn't move those troops back after Jerusalem happened, so when the war began I had a good chunk of my troops stuck deep in enemy territory and my actual borders barely defended. Good thing most of those armies are large enough to stand on their own though.
Mabey the remnants of Schengen could use that lapse in border security to launch that attack and beat Jerusalem so badly that when those armies fight their way back to friendly lines they could be severely weakened. Also by this time Alex and his group might have finished their work on the Panopticon nullifier leading to an even fight between those returning troops and Schengen?

Last edited:
I'm sorry what? I know border gore in Paradox games are crazy especially in CK2 but still.
It was partly my fault, because I gave them the title and landed them there.
Mabey the remnants of Schengen could use that lapse in border security to launch that attack and beat Jerusalem so badly that when those armies fight their way back to friendly lines they could be severely weakened. Also by this time Alex and his group might have finished their work on the Panopticon nullifier leading to an even fight between those returning troops and Schengen?
That's assuming those armies are trying to get back to friendly territory. They're currently focused on holding and expanding the territory they currently control.

I will talk more about the nullifier soon, but it's not done as of the last upload.

As Kronk would say, oh yeah it's all coming together. And it seems everybody's bout to meet in Persia. And I do mean everybody, cause if this plan to attack Mesopotamia is approved, Elias will probably want to head there once he finds out that Willhelmina is there.

So Gundhuz is just as much of a geek as Wilhelmina is, only she's a tsundere about it. I already tell Wihelmina and Gundhuz's interactions will be a lot of fun, and it's nice to see Alexandria meet Wilhelmina again. I'm curios to see how Wilhelmina's group will interact with Alex and Angelica's groups.
I was starting to wonder if Jerusalem's performance was you holding yourself back or genuinely giving it your all in a difficult war, knowing how much you like to limit yourself for story reasons and to prevent the Reich from snowballing.
It was partly my fault, because I gave them the title and landed them there.
I wonder if you have any plans to talk about that in the 11th/12th century rework, because I agree that having a family that previously were Holy Roman Emperors end up ruling a traditionally republican Venice from Bulgaria is pretty weird. At least with stuff like Sigmaringen France and Habsburg Poland I can see happening as part of the active Germanization program of those regions under later the early Kaisers.

As we've been discussing Alexious Kommenos being a major player of the Restoration and the guardian of Fredrich the Glorious, I have to wonder how Alexios' children, particularly Anna and John II, would interact with Fredrich as he grows up, especially considering those two had a bit of a sibling rivalry going on when it came to the Byzantine throne in OTL, not to mention Anna being known for writing the Alexiad.

Considering Anna seemed to have a crush on Bohemond of Antioch in the Alexiad, maybe that crush is gone to Fredreich instead, also John would have been an advisor to Fredreich the Glorious considering we do see another Komnenos assisting the Reich during the time of Saint Willhelmina, since he never gets to be Emperor here he'd have either been part of Fredreich's council or an official in the Eastern half of the Reich, probably the de-facto leader of the Greek faction. Their sibling rivalry here wouldn't be as bad as in OTL, it'd be just typical sibling banter at this rate.

I wonder if you have any plans to talk about that in the 11th/12th century rework, because I agree that having a family that previously were Holy Roman Emperors end up ruling a traditionally republican Venice from Bulgaria is pretty weird. At least with stuff like Sigmaringen France and Habsburg Poland I can see happening as part of the active Germanization program of those regions under later the early Kaisers.
Maybe Bulgaria could be ruled by House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry who still claim to be Kings of Bulgaria in OTL and who are actually a branch of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who would later become the House of Windsor in OTL. Which makes me wonder what the Windsor's are doing in TTL? My view is that they married into the Hohenzollern House since some of its members are basically similar to OTL like Diana so maybe other members of the family could be rulers of Bulgaria?

Speaking of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha I saw this video from UsefulCharts and it turns out the modern day heir of Charlemagne is actually Queen Elizabeth II

Imagine trying to say you don't have the time for FF7.