EU4: 1.31.5 Majapahit is now LIVE! - Checksum [3261] - Not for Problem Reports

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any chance of seeing native/ colonization reworks in September? Currently natives expand way too fast, expanding across the entire US Eastern seaboard. This means the European AI's constantly have trouble getting even a small colony set up. The likelyhood of seeing a Jamestown or Plymouth is next to nothing.

Could a specific value be set to deter a percentage of native American AI's from taking the entire East coast? Canada also has a similar problem right now with overcrowding.

This would just be a short term solution, obviously the problems of natives living in the same provinces of Europeans and depicting native Americans using asymmetric warfare would require alot more design decisions and mechanics to be implemented.

Is there any chance of seeing native/ colonization reworks in September? Currently natives expand way too fast, expanding across the entire US Eastern seaboard. This means the European AI's constantly have trouble getting even a small colony set up. The likelyhood of seeing a Jamestown or Plymouth is next to nothing.

Could a specific value be set to deter a percentage of native American AI's from taking the entire East coast? Canada also has a similar problem right now with overcrowding.

This would just be a short term solution, obviously the problems of natives living in the same provinces of Europeans and depicting native Americans using asymmetric warfare would require alot more design decisions and mechanics to be implemented.
AFAIK this is caused by an issue in the current version where the natives accumulate reformprogress at a very accelerated rate making them finish their reforms too quickly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Off the top of my head, because French units only apply from tier 2 onwards due to tier 1 being a HYW pack model, Cyprus uses generic eastern for tier 1. Other than that there is no Eastern European tag that uses generics (for people who own all cosmetic DLC) at all at this point (bar Jerusalem which has the same issue as Cyprus if you form it as the tag intended to form it, the Knights. I think it would be cool if there were some way to force Jerusalem to use Knights units). The Caucasus use Circassian units, Bulgaria uses Romanian, even Karelia uses Novgorodian. Though the specific mention of Pskov has me a little stumped since Pskov already has its own uniques from the Third Rome immersion pack.

Within the past couple days I looked into the Middle East, and while I do think some of the placements are weird (Khorasan uses Afghan units instead of Tabarestan units and Uzbek, Turkmen, and Kazakh default is Timurid units) every single tag is covered to my knowledge. There is also already not a single tag in East Asia that is using generics either. All Chinese culture China releasables use Ming units aside from the Bai group releasables which use Tibetan units. I will say some of the unique models are distributed very widely to the point it feels a bit generic again like Lan Xang units, but there are definitely no more generics. One just has to own the corresponding unit pack. As for Africa: I just looked at every single tag in Africa including a bunch of unicorn event-only tags and every single one of them is also using non-generics aside from the Congo basin and (northern) Great Lakes tags. Salé is also a tag that got its own unit models in the patch it was introduced (Golden Century immersion pack). In the end, the highest concentration of generics in the world is still Europe because the models were delivered so piecemeal over the years. Generic Tier 1s for many French tags, Tier 4s for much of Germany, and full generic still for some tags in the Rhineland, Emilia-Romagna, and in Lower Saxony.

Someone really ought to go through and compile what unit models and packs apply to what regions now that it's all changed though,
Thanks @PurpulaPhoenixum53 and @IndigoRage for doing all of this legwork during the beta period. And thanks @SaintDaveUK (and the rest of your team) for your work with the art direction. I didn't get a chance to look at the unit changes myself until the full release, but I am happy with most of the changes so far.

I do agree with IndigoRage about some of the unique models being distributed so widely that they feel a bit generic again, especially in South East Asia. As far as I can see, I can't find a single nation that uses the generic Asian units, and I am not sure how I feel about that. I didn't think the generic Asian units were that bad, and part of what I like about the unit packs is the addition of variety. I know the new units look better, but losing the variety seems to defeat some of the draw of the unit packs (at least for me).

Another edge case I thought about with the new culture system for units is the "Indian Hindu" units introduced in the Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack alongside Res Publica. As far as I can tell, no nation uses these units either. This has been true for a while (I am assuming since the Dharma Unit Pack was introduced), but, with the new culture system for units, I am not sure how this change could be addressed (since the trigger is presumably religion rather than culture).

To be fair I am not sure what nations these units even applied to back when they were originally released, but it is still sad to see perfectly fine units disappear from the game. As I said above, I like the variety. And, unlike the generic Asian units, peoples specifically paid for the Indian Hindu units when they bought the cosmetic packs.

Overall I think the new unit system is pretty good and more flexible than in the past. Looking forward to more.

Reactions:
Thanks @PurpulaPhoenixum53 and @IndigoRage for doing all of this legwork during the beta period. And thanks @SaintDaveUK (and the rest of your team) for your work with the art direction. I didn't get a chance to look at the unit changes myself until the full release, but I am happy with most of the changes so far.

I do agree with IndigoRage about some of the unique models being distributed so widely that they feel a bit generic again, especially in South East Asia. As far as I can see, I can't find a single nation that uses the generic Asian units, and I am not sure how I feel about that. I didn't think the generic Asian units were that bad, and part of what I like about the unit packs is the addition of variety. I know the new units look better, but losing the variety seems to defeat some of the draw of the unit packs (at least for me).

Another edge case I thought about with the new culture system for units is the "Indian Hindu" units introduced in the Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack alongside Res Publica. As far as I can tell, no nation uses these units either. This has been true for a while (I am assuming since the Dharma Unit Pack was introduced), but, with the new culture system for units, I am not sure how this change could be addressed (since the trigger is presumably religion rather than culture).

To be fair I am not sure what nations these units even applied to back when they were originally released, but it is still sad to see perfectly fine units disappear from the game. As I said above, I like the variety. And, unlike the generic Asian units, peoples specifically paid for the Indian Hindu units when they bought the cosmetic packs.

Overall I think the new unit system is pretty good and more flexible than in the past. Looking forward to more.

Hey no problem. We all help out because we love the game and love helping the devs improve something we all use. Off the top of my head Vijayanyagar (sp?) still uses the Subcontinent pack as it specifically uses. Delhi also uses the pack as well. Checking the files shows that it isn't tied to religion, but still uses the tag based system.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey no problem. We all help out because we love the game and love helping the devs improve something we all use. Off the top of my head Vijayanyagar (sp?) still uses the Subcontinent pack as it specifically uses. Delhi also uses the pack as well. Checking the files shows that it isn't tied to religion, but still uses the tag based system.
You are right. Vijayanyagar’s sprites still work from that pack, as do Bengal’s. And Dheli uses the “Indian Muslim” sprites from that pack as well. It’s only the Indian Hindu sprites that don’t seem to be used anymore, presumably because all of the nations that used them got newer sprites in the Dharma pack.

It is a minor quibble to be sure. Just something I noticed.

Reactions:
Would also be interested to know if this is the last patch before September would love to see a fix for the AI 50% force limit bug or AI merc armies getting stuck before summer is over so my vassal swarms can thrive once more :)

Edit: Love the work on the new patch keep it up
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. What is the AI 50% force limit bug? It would be great if you could explain that bug in the bug reports

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. What is the AI 50% force limit bug? It would be great if you could explain that bug in the bug reports
I am quite sure that they are talking about a mercenary related bug dating back to 1.30. Under certain circumstances the AI disbands troops and recruits them again until it runs out of manpower. The 50% force limit comes from the observation that the AI mostly disbands troops until it only has 50% of its force limit left.

For more information, see the corresponding bug report:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...hey-have-less-than-50-of-force-limit.1401897/

• 4Like
Reactions:
As far as I can see, I can't find a single nation that uses the generic Asian units, and I am not sure how I feel about that. I didn't think the generic Asian units were that bad, and part of what I like about the unit packs is the addition of variety.
I personally always disliked them. They aren't as outdated as Eastern European units for instance, but I'd still like them to get an update like the western units did. I also don't want generics to disappear from the map completely necessarily. I'm glad there are a few pockets in Europe still open to getting more unique ones, but the reason I wanted uniques to fill the map isn't because I wanted there to be no generics anywhere at all for any reason. I do very much like the new system but that's one issue with it I suppose. I have the same position I had before on generics: They should be updated like the European ones were in the Denmark patch to fit the game's current aesthetic for people who don't have every pack conceivable.
It may have changed since beta as I could have sworn I saw that tell-tale curled Marathi helmet at some point in testing generally. The obvious solution from my point of view would be to make them the primary units for Marathi culture as Marathi culture doesn't seem to have a set of cultural units at all. (Depending on where you look there are Gujarati, Malvi, Bahmanis and Gondi units in tags associated with this culture). I think it's possible designations from Dharma were grandfathered into the newer updates.

Was going to say one solution could be to make it the units of Marathas (Marathas use Gondi units for some reason), but if that were the case we'd never get to see the Tier 1's iconic helmet because you need to tech past that to form Marathas.

As an aside aside, I feel like Theodoro units should probably be used for Pontic culture or some more of the Greek tags. I like that the Purple Phoenix units are so wide spread but they really show their age.

Reactions:
Try to dismiss the blue flag notification that you can create new states. That helps in many cases
Thank you for this piece of advice. Previously my lategame had been nearly unplayable, but it runs supe-smooth with the blue flag disabled. Hope that too many people haven't had to abandon games without knowing this.....

It has already been reported I probably did not use the handle it has been labelled as for your team. Someone did reply from your team last month to the thread saying they noticed it as well.

Just to bring exposure to it the AI really suffers from this pretty nasty bug as they just waste masses of money and manpower once the bug has taken hold of a nation I feel its holding back there growth.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@ Indian units, I did not test it on new version yet,
but on 1.30.4 I once took all weekend to test it very tediously and I can confirm on 1.30.4 ALL Indian units work, yes some of them are quite hard to appear (with Dharma introducing new unit packs), but all were present, some most rare armors were for Punjabi (those from older Indian packs)

Reactions:
@ Indian units, I did not test it on new version yet,
but on 1.30.4 I once took all weekend to test it very tediously and I can confirm on 1.30.4 ALL Indian units work, yes some of them are quite hard to appear (with Dharma introducing new unit packs), but all were present, some most rare armors were for Punjabi (those from older Indian packs)
Do you happen to remember which tags used the Indian Hindu sprites? I couldn’t find them myself.

Reactions:
Do you happen to remember which tags used the Indian Hindu sprites? I couldn’t find them myself.

PUN Punjab
PTA Patiala

though in normal game from 1444 you won't see them imho from AI (Mughlas or others eat those countries), only if you would play and form them
if you want check try alternative game year start so that Punjab exists (it's formable)

PUN can be formed from countries that have other armors, I like when forming new country will grant you new armor, it feels good and adds flavour to me

if new unit pack system did break it, please fix it devs,
though I appreciate that finally a lot of effort is put to fix dlc unit packs good job all! [devs + beta testing players]

Reactions:
PUN Punjab
PTA Patiala

though in normal game from 1444 you won't see them imho from AI (Mughlas or others eat those countries), only if you would play and form them
if you want check try alternative game year start so that Punjab exists (it's formable)

PUN can be formed from countries that have other armors, I like when forming new country will grant you new armor, it feels good and adds flavour to me

if new unit pack system did break it, please fix it devs,
though I appreciate that finally a lot of effort is put to fix dlc unit packs good job all! [devs + beta testing players]
Yes! That's where I remembered seeing it! Issue was that was really rare and ironically you have to be sikh instead of Hindu to even form Punjab.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Now that the game is somewhat stable, can you guys shuffle around Portugal NI?
Having the 2 military ideas as last makes no sense considering Portugal History.

For reference: Same idea set, only shuffled the ideas around to make more sense historically, and some reading recommendations.

Early game, Portugal expansion, feitorias and for construction around the globe.
Mid game Portugal focus shifts to Brazil, end game, absolutism in Portugal.

If anyone is interested on having a read, these are the books and resources i have at the moment, and i recommend this ones, for what its worth:

Portuguese Seaborne Empire 1415-1825

A History of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire: From Beginnings to 1807 Volume I and Volume II.

Portuguese Sea Battles - Volume I - The First World Sea Power 1139-1521 (there is at least half a dozen volumes, still reading volume II)

Conquerors - How Portugal forged the first global empire

The Portuguese in the Age of Discovery 1340-1665

The Military Orders Volume IV

Free Resources:

Knights, Squires and Foot Soldiers in Portugal during the Sixteenth-Century Military Revolution

The Portuguese Art of War in Northern
Morocco during the 15th Century

O ensino e a aprendizagem militares em Portugal e no Império, de D. João III a D. Sebastião: a arte portuguesa da guerra.

@Johan If you are unwilling to change Portugal NI at least suffle them around so it makes more sense historically:

+15% Trade efficiency
+25% Colonial range

Legacy of Navigator
−33% Morale hit when losing a ship
+5% Ship disengagement chance

Feitoria
+10% Global trade power
+10% Fort defense

Goa Arsenal
+10% Artillery combat ability

Triangle Trade
+10% Goods produced modifier

Land before Faith
+15 Global settler increase

Encourage the Bandeirantes
+1 Merchant

Royal Absolutism
−15% Construction cost
+0.50 Yearly absolutism

+20% Global tariffs

Can someone please explain to me, why achievement white elephant (as Ayutthaya, own all of Indochina and Burma as core provinces) is only available for Ayutthaya ? Currently with Leviathan, Ayutthaya can form nation of Siam via mission tree, so I see no reason why if I form Siam I´m prevented from getting this achievement. It should be available for both Ayutthaya and Siam (similarly to The Burgundian Conquest achievement which you can achieve as Burgundy or Lotharingia).

Can someone please explain to me, why achievement white elephant (as Ayutthaya, own all of Indochina and Burma as core provinces) is only available for Ayutthaya ? Currently with Leviathan, Ayutthaya can form nation of Siam via mission tree, so I see no reason why if I form Siam I´m prevented from getting this achievement. It should be available for both Ayutthaya and Siam (similarly to The Burgundian Conquest achievement which you can achieve as Burgundy or Lotharingia).
Sounds like another oversight. You should repost this as a bug report.

Reactions:
What the bug with Acievements???

20210912105441_1.jpg

What the bug with Acievements???
This doesn't happen for other people. Maybe your game can't communicate with steam correctly? The achievement names and description come directly from steam. It's probably best if you ask in the tech support forum about this problem