There should be a sticky thread on acceptable features of CK3 mods

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSF

Major
95 Badges
Dec 7, 2010
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
I think PDX should make it clear which kind of features they see as offensive or inadequate. I took a look on the forum and couldnt find it.

Right now some guy made a thread asking how to change the probability of characters being homossexuals. According to him there was a mod on Steam for that and it was removed by PDX. Even the thread was deleted in a short time.

So can I assume any kind of modification not only on orientation but also on genres, ethnicity and religions are considered offensive? So that mods with this kind of features shouldnt be uploaded on Steam?

• 3Like
Reactions:
it's the case sometimes that the probem isn't the mod itself, but the commentary around it.

and maybe this is better posted in the 'paradox general discussion thread' as it's not game-specific

Reactions:
I think PDX should make it clear which kind of features they see as offensive or inadequate. I took a look on the forum and couldnt find it.

Right now some guy made a thread asking how to change the probability of characters being homossexuals. According to him there was a mod on Steam for that and it was removed by PDX. Even the thread was deleted in a short time.

So can I assume any kind of modification not only on orientation but also on genres, ethnicity and religions are considered offensive? So that mods with this kind of features shouldnt be uploaded on Steam?
I think Steam has it's own guidelines on what can be uploaded, which is pretty liberal on anything save for some obvious +18 material.
Can paradox remove steam mods? :S

Anyway as said ^above, the conversation around the mod probably got personal/political, haven't seen it though.

Reactions:
Can paradox remove steam mods? :S
Game publishers can remove Steam Workshop items for their game, yes.

I don't think it takes much imagination to see why such a capability is an absolute necessity.

• 2Like
Reactions:

I don't think it takes much imagination to see why such a capability is an absolute necessity.
I'm struggling to see it myself to be totally honest
If someone wants to remove homosexuals from his game, I mean, well
It's a single player game, whatever Paradox seems to think.

Reactions:

Say what? Paradox put a game rule in the game where you can decide which is the dominant sexuality! :D

Reactions:
If someone wants to remove homosexuals from his game, I mean, well
It's a single player game, whatever Paradox seems to think.
If he wants to remove them from his game, he can totally do that, but Paradox are not obliged – morally or legally – to let him share his mod via the Steam Workshop channel for their game, or to host discussion of his mod on their own forums or their game's Steam Community forums.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If he wants to remove them from his game, he can totally do that, but Paradox are not obliged – morally or legally – to let him share his mod via the Steam Workshop channel for their game, or to host discussion of his mod on their own forums or their game's Steam Community forums.
Sure, but I wouldn't say they're obliged to remove it either. You can disagree if you like, but my point stands.

Reactions:
Sure, but I wouldn't say they're obliged to remove it either. You can disagree if you like, but my point stands.
What was your point? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just didn't get it. :)

Reactions:
My point was simply that I don't see a reason for Paradox to care about what mods do.
Reputation matters enough that companies assign an estimated monetary value to "goodwill" to make sure the beancounters know it matters.

The mods that are available through official channels (Steam Workshop etc.) tend to reflect on the publisher's reputation (because they reflect on the user community's reputation, which affects the game's reputation, which affects the publisher's reputation) much more strongly than the mods that are available through unofficial channels (third-party web forums, some Internet rando's github account, etc).

• 1Like
Reactions:
it's about what they do and don't want associated with their brands

Reactions:
My point was simply that I don't see a reason for Paradox to care about what mods do. It's sort of like the whole phenotype mod debacle in Stellaris.
You mean the one where the mod author put a link to some sort of weird white supremacist YouTube channel in the description? Because I'm pretty sure that was the issue with that mod.

Reactions:
It would be fairly easy to remove certain skin colours from the game, but do you honestly expect Steam et al to permit mods to be listed with such overtly racist overtones?

The same goes for the quite outrageously anti-semitic mod which appeared briefly on steam, which was obviously illegal in most, if not all, European countries.

It takes minutes to change a few numbers in the 00_defines file, but it is quite another thing to spread your personal fantasy in a public space under the watchful eye of the game developer etc

• 1Like
Reactions:

Well, i learned something new.
You mean the one where the mod author put a link to some sort of weird white supremacist YouTube channel in the description? Because I'm pretty sure that was the issue with that mod.
O.O

Reactions:
You mean the one where the mod author put a link to some sort of weird white supremacist YouTube channel
White supremacists... In YouTube. Not Bitchute, not DailyMotion, not Library, no... On YouTube.

I call bullshit. YouTube is one of the most censorious platforms for any form of right-wing content on the internet. "white supremacist content" would be immediately purged on sight if it actually was what you say it was. So it probably wasn't.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
White supremacists... In YouTube. Not Bitchute, not DailyMotion, not Library, no... On YouTube.

I call bullshit. YouTube is one of the most censorious platforms for any form of right-wing content on the internet. "white supremacist content" would be immediately purged on sight if it actually was what you say it was. So it probably wasn't.
Mate, I saw it myself, it was some hardcore European White Nationalist vile stuff. YouTube is not nearly as effective at cracking down on extremist content as you claim, particularly the smaller niche racist channels.

Plus this was years ago when YouTube didn't bother at all curating their site.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like that the game represents different sexualities because this makes it more realistic, but the fact that the devs deleted someone's mod is extremely disturbing, please let us modify the game the way we want. Censorship is always bad and might go too far.

Game isn't historically accurate atm, and modifying it's ahistorical aspects can be viewed as offensive by some people. But if Paradox starts deleting anything that doesn't serve modern sjw agenda, it wouldn't be good for anyone. Please stop bringing modern political ideas into the game about middle ages.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
I like that the game represents different sexualities because this makes it more realistic, but the fact that the devs deleted someone's mod is extremely disturbing, please let us modify the game the way we want. Censorship is always bad and might go too far.

Game isn't historically accurate atm, and modifying it's ahistorical aspects can be viewed as offensive by some people. But if Paradox starts deleting anything that doesn't serve modern sjw agenda, it wouldn't be good for anyone. Please stop bringing modern political ideas into the game about middle ages.
Paradox knows and is fine with plenty of shit being modded in. But it matters *where * those mods are.

Because like it or not, companies, *especially* game companies, can get a ton of flak based on what their perceived audience is. So anything likely to create a big negative response from the majority, theyll hesitate allowing it on prominent sites under their curation.

Especially since there are a wild number of censorship laws across the world, and few governments savvy enough to care for the difference between something a dev allows users to do, and something a dev supports/encourages users to do; so anything that might get offensive *anywhere* they care about the market of, is likely to be removed.

But that's why they allow you to install mods you get from anywhere, instead of only curated mods they personally vet. Because they know people are going to make "kink simulator Medieval edition", especially after 3d models, and they're, in theory, fine with that. But it's not a stance they're willing to defend to investors, so it's not something theyll allow to stay on prominent public sites that they can be said to have control over.

Reactions:
Paradox knows and is fine with plenty of shit being modded in. But it matters *where * those mods are.

Because like it or not, companies, *especially* game companies, can get a ton of flak based on what their perceived audience is. So anything likely to create a big negative response from the majority, theyll hesitate allowing it on prominent sites under their curation.

Especially since there are a wild number of censorship laws across the world, and few governments savvy enough to care for the difference between something a dev allows users to do, and something a dev supports/encourages users to do; so anything that might get offensive *anywhere* they care about the market of, is likely to be removed.

But that's why they allow you to install mods you get from anywhere, instead of only curated mods they personally vet. Because they know people are going to make "kink simulator Medieval edition", especially after 3d models, and they're, in theory, fine with that. But it's not a stance they're willing to defend to investors, so it's not something theyll allow to stay on prominent public sites that they can be said to have control over.

Yeah, but I'd say you cross a line when you make a game with rampant incest and totally made up aspects of many religions (Islam, insular Christianity, etc.) and even have events about finding priests in an S&M session with young boys but you remove a mod that makes Rurik straight (assuming that the mod didn't have some super weird anti-homosexual description or something).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.