• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #31 - A Stressful Situation

Dev Diary #31 - A Stressful Situation
Hello everyone! I come to you today with the long-awaited Dev Diary on how Stress works in Crusader Kings III! While the system is relatively straightforward, it does have some rather far-reaching ramifications for how characters choose to behave, so let us dive right in!

Stress
Stress is a representation of a character’s mental well-being. As characters accumulate Stress, they will increase up their Stress Level, with each level causing increasing penalties to their health and fertility values. The penalties at Stress Level 1 are fairly minor, but the penalties at Stress Level 3 can lead your character to an early grave!

image7.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character with nearly-maxed out Stress]

The primary way that characters gain Stress is when the demands of the realm force them to take actions which go against their nature. For example, a Compassionate character will gain Stress for executing prisoners in the dungeon, even if those prisoners were traitorous rebels or, ahem… inconveniently positioned in the line of succession.

image4.jpg

[A screenshot showing a Compassionate character gaining 42 Stress for executing a prisoner]

There are other sources of Stress too, though. Being locked up in the dungeon of another character will gradually increase Stress over time, as the isolation and neglect take their toll on your psyche. Other causes include overwork or the death of a loved one. Regardless of the source, once a character accumulates enough Stress to pass a certain threshold and gain a Stress Level, they will suffer from a Mental Break.

Mental Breaks

Mental Breaks are a special kind of event which occurs when Stress overwhelms a character and compels them to do something — anything — to gain relief. Exactly what type of Mental Break a character has depends heavily on their personality traits, and each one gives the character several options for dealing with the situation they have found themselves in.

image3.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character suffering from overwhelming guilt and shame as part of a Mental Break]

Not all Mental Breaks are equal, and the severity of the Mental Break will depend on your Stress Level when the event occurs. A Level 1 Mental Break may cause a Wrathful character to yell at one of their vassals in front of the whole court, insulting them and wounding their pride… but a Tier 3 Mental Break may instead drive that same character to murder their chosen heir in a fit of rage!

In addition to differing by Stress Level, some Mental Breaks are influenced by the situation you find yourself in. As an example, characters who are locked up in a dungeon cell will suffering from completely different Mental Breaks (often of greater severity), some of which can radically change their personality.

image6.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character swearing vengeance on their enemies from prison]

Regardless of what kind of Mental Break they suffer from, all Mental Breaks give the afflicted character the opportunity to lose a large amount of Stress. Many of these options will also grant the afflicted character a Coping Mechanism trait, which will help them relieve stress in the future and thus reduce the likelihood of having additional Mental Breaks.

Coping Mechanisms
Coping Mechanisms are traits that represent the long-term methods characters have developed to deal with the Stress of their life. Most of them impose some form of minor penalty on a character’s skills, but in exchange they will enhance the potency of all forms of stress loss.

image2.jpg

[A screenshot showing a selection of 4 Coping Mechanism traits: Rakish, Drunkard, Flagellant, and Comfort Eater]

In addition to the passive effects of each trait, each one also enables a unique Decision characters can take to indulge in their vice and relieve a portion of their accumulated stress.

image1.jpg

[A screenshot showing the Decision to visit a brothel and lose stress]

Regardless of the form it takes, all Coping Mechanisms are useful in one form or another. Having the ability to make Stressful decisions at-will is often more useful than a few extra points of Diplomacy or Stewardship, and each Coping Mechanism a character acquires makes it progressively easier for them to manage their Stress. It is expected that most rulers will acquire 1 or 2 Coping Mechanisms during their lifetime, though in some rare circumstances a character may end up with more.

Strategic Considerations
As developers, our goal with the Stress system is not to prohibit or punish players for taking certain actions, but rather to make them think twice about otherwise no-brainer decisions. Is it really worth it to execute that foreign claimant when doing so will give you 42 Stress? Maybe, but maybe not! That is a decision you will need to make when the time comes.

In this way, Stress also gives us another tool we can use to balance the various personality traits against each other. Some traits like Ambitious and Compassionate may have higher numerical bonuses, but they cause you to acquire Stress more frequently or in larger amounts. Others like Sadistic may make your vassals loathe you, but your character won’t be bothered by pesky concerns like morality when they have to do what needs to be done. Who knows... they might even enjoy it!

image8.jpg

[A screenshot showing showing the Skill and Stress differences between the Lazy and Diligent Personality Traits]

Regardless of what personality traits your character has, the optimal strategy with Stress is often not to avoid acquiring Stress at all costs, but rather to strategically acquire certain Coping Mechanisms and leverage them intelligently to keep your character’s Stress at ideal levels. Managing your character’s Stress well will ensure you are always able to take advantage of any opportunities that come your way, while behaving recklessly may leave you Stressed to the point of insanity during a crucial moment of your reign…

image5.jpg

[A screenshot showing a stressed ruler having their very own Nero moment]

Anyway, that is all I have for you this week. I hope this has given you some insight into how the Stress system works in Crusader Kings III, and that this has inspired everyone to think of new and creative ways to leverage the system to its full potential! Feel free to ask any questions you have in the comments, as I will be sticking around for a few hours to explain and elaborate on the Stress system.

Last edited:
  • 187Like
  • 84Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
It is expected that most rulers will acquire 1 or 2 Coping Mechanisms during their lifetime, though in some rare circumstances a character may end up with more.

So basically most of the time we will be playing as mentally unstable characters who engage in self-destructive behaviours to cope with the daily torture that is being noble and being forced to put aside their morals and feelings to make choices that will probably doom their souls to Hell and make everyone see them as the tyrants that they are just to keep their miserable lives that would surely end if they were to lose their power?
I love it.

Btw did you consider giving our good boys and girls (I’m referring to pets here) actual appearances? Perhaps after release?

• 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
By the way, I would link that to the religion's gender status and adultery stance. In a female dominates religion where female adultery is accepted or just shunned, female brothels should exist (and maybe male ones be weird)
The religion's stance on gender roles should definitely matter a lot.
A noblewoman walking up to a brothel in Christian Europe historically would be more than social suicide, and that social context can be represented by Catholicism being a male-dominated religion. In those religions women would probably have to resort to more discreet ways of having lovers and male prostitutes.

Conversely, in a female-dominated religion women would be the ones going to brothels with less repercussion while men would be the ones who'd have to keep it more reserved, and a religion with equal gender stance would have everyone going to brothels equally.

• 5Like
Reactions:
This is what I am concerned with. If I am playing as a homosexual character, of which I do not have a choice in the matter as the game is currently designed, will I be punished for not doing homosexual things in certain events by gaining stress?
Yes, and that is precisely the point of the stress system.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is that box in the lower right hand corner of the stress coping mechanism box supposed to be something along the lines of "activate automatically every 3 years"?

If not, can there be a way to automatically activate the stress coping mechanism once the cool down is over to reduce micro?

Reactions:
The Stress system is one of the best additions to CK2 - it's a brilliant way to resolve CK2's issue of roleplay vs min-maxing. The fact it's not just a straightforward system and also has little aspects to it like the coping mechanisms, to add more flavor, is all the more better.

• 5Like
Reactions:
i cannot thank you enough for putting mental distress out front! shining a light on it in popular culture really normalizes these feelings and makes our daily psychological struggle a little easier.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I love the fact that in a thread devoted to quite possibly the best RP mechanic ever introduced into CK... people are focused on whether or not Mathilda could have ACTUALLY had male prostitutes and whether or not the majority of ruling nobility probably had stress-reducing hobbies, some of which were detrimental.

The CK3 memes are going to be FIRE.

• 4Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I love the fact that in a thread devoted to quite possibly the best RP mechanic ever introduced into CK... people are focused on whether or not Mathilda could have ACTUALLY had male prostitutes and whether or not the majority of ruling nobility probably had stress-reducing hobbies, some of which were detrimental.

The CK3 memes are going to be FIRE.
Well, the stress mechanic was known - and welcomed - from DD0 if I remember correctly. This DD was about the stress mechanic in detail, so yeah, we are focusing on details.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait, you play a character like you 'think' they would be and simply disregard the stats and traits? If that's the case what's the point of playing a role playing game with stats and traits then. You ought to play the sims if you want a game where traits are meaningless.

Well, obviously? What do you want, homosexuality to not be included in the game? Do you want it to be done like CK2 where it shows that sexuality is a choice even though it's really not?

Yes obviously. If you're going to put homosexuality in the game, that's fine. But punishing a player for not having their character not perform homosexual acts is another thing altogether. It forces me down a gameplay path that I would rather not go. I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
1592322198299.png

• 9Haha
Reactions:
Yes obviously. If you're going to put homosexuality in the game, that's fine. But punishing a player for not having their character not perform homosexual acts is dumb as hell. It forces me down a gameplay path that I would rather not go. I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.
Ok, what would homosexuality force you to do?
If you're lustful and refuse to bang people of your own gender, you should get a stress penality. But remember that lustful straight characters would also get the stress if they refused to bang someone of the opposite gender.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.
Ehm sexual pleasure fantasy was at the bottom of every medieval dynasty ... How many wars had been fought because the king loved to spend more time with his favorite rather his wife thus failing to sire some heirs on her...

Sex is an everyday aspect of life now and then, so why shouldn't it be part of a game that needs sex...

• 5Like
Reactions:
I really don’t know about this. I have a bad feeling to be forced to play some kind of char which I do not want to.
Sure in some games I enjoy to play like the chars stats, however in others I don’t.
I'm actually more concerned with this bit, to be honest. In CK2, you can get by with little to no role playing precisely because going against your ruler's personality has no real long-term drawbacks: you usually only lose a trait or some prestige/piety.
Yes obviously. If you're going to put homosexuality in the game, that's fine. But punishing a player for not having their character not perform homosexual acts is another thing altogether. It forces me down a gameplay path that I would rather not go. I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.
I mean… If someone really doesn't like their character's traits and would prefer not to roleplay them, there would be probably ways to change them. In CK2 an attempt to be brave in battle could cause you to stop being a coward, a Satanist orgy could change your sexual orientation.

Such drastic changes in life should be associated with well-written event chains though.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Wait, we are talking about events. And the events that will concern "performing homosexual acts", whatever you mean by that, will still be a minority - it is not like you will be bombarded with the medieval version of Gaytube.

Don't worry, your game experience will still be focused on dynasty building.

• 1Like
Reactions: