• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Locust 1E and Spider 5K already exist as part of PGI models. The Grand Dragon does not. HBS *can* yes, but beyond switching out weapon PGI hardpoints to support mounts they haven't made new ones. New models are different as they are built from the ground up to implement the hardpoints. I'm not saying they can't I'm saying it's highly unlikely.
It depends on what you mean by Grand Dragon. The current Dragon model in game already supports a PPC in the right arm so a simple json edit can allow you to implement a Dragon 1G with a rendered PPC which would satisfy many as a 'Grand Dragon'.

As someone who has spent too much time modding in new mech variants I'll point out that most chassis in the game have many more hard points implemented than what the variants HBS have included make use of. Off the top of my head beyond the Dragon with a PPC in it's right arm the Zeus has a hard point for a PPC in it's left arm and the Battlemaster has missile hard points in it's arms so you can easily make a 1S variant.

Beyond that there are all sorts of oddities such as the Cyclops with two autocannon mounts in each torso, the Raven and an autocannon mount in it's left arm and even the Panther has an autocannon mount in it's right arm. All this is a great boon for those like me who want to mod in all sort of weird variants but have no artistic talent.

It depends on what you mean by Grand Dragon. The current Dragon model in game already supports a PPC in the right arm so a simple json edit can allow you to implement a Dragon 1G with a rendered PPC which would satisfy many as a 'Grand Dragon'.

As someone who has spent too much time modding in new mech variants I'll point out that most chassis in the game have many more hard points implemented than what the variants HBS have included make use of. Off the top of my head beyond the Dragon with a PPC in it's right arm the Zeus has a hard point for a PPC in it's left arm and the Battlemaster has missile hard points in it's arms so you can easily make a 1S variant.

Beyond that there are all sorts of oddities such as the Cyclops with two autocannon mounts in each torso, the Raven and an autocannon mount in it's left arm and even the Panther has an autocannon mount in it's right arm. All this is a great boon for those like me who want to mod in all sort of weird variants but have no artistic talent.
*sigh*

Please, show me where the Right Torso hardpoint is that is needed for the Grand Dragon's extra Medium Laser?

(AMS is not a hardpoint per se. for this game)
upload_2020-1-21_0-19-14.png

upload_2020-1-21_0-19-57.png
As for the Cyclops, Raven, Zeus, and Battlemaster. The Cyclops has the potential for 5(!) ballistic mounts based upon the hardpoint information in the PGI models (2LT, 3RT). The Raven has the potential for 4 Ballistic mounts (2 in each arm). The panther also has ballistic mounts in the PGI models. The Zeus has the potential for three energy in the arm, and yes the Battlemaster has missile hardpoints because the PGI models have them.

Again, not saying it can't happen, but it seems unlikely since the model information isn't there to start with, and HBS doesn't seem to like to change hardpoints beyond assigning support mounts.

@Timaeus you're correct that it doesn't have the laser hard point in the right torso but it does have a second one in the left so you'd still have the correct load out just in different locations. Some may see that as a problem but considering that some of the lasers are meant to be rear facing in the first place I don't.

As for PGI models I wouldn't know as I haven't played any of their games. As for the mechs I mentioned I was just going off what I remembered adding myself. You are right in that the Cyclops has 5 ballistic hard points but the third one in the right torso only works with an AC2(and AC5 I think) so I ignore it most of the time. In fact that is a common theme with a lot of the mechs that have multiple hard points of the same type in one location in that the latter ones only support smaller weapons of that type.

@Timaeus you're correct that it doesn't have the laser hard point in the right torso but it does have a second one in the left so you'd still have the correct load out just in different locations. Some may see that as a problem but considering that some of the lasers are meant to be rear facing in the first place I don't.
I can see the "offbrand" Awesome Dragon variant that was used in Hyper RPGs D.F.A. show since it's not technically a Grand Dragon, and can have more leeway, but again generally they stick with known hardpoints in the models.

As for PGI models I wouldn't know as I haven't played any of their games. As for the mechs I mentioned I was just going off what I remembered adding myself. You are right in that the Cyclops has 5 ballistic hard points but the third one in the right torso only works with an AC2(and AC5 I think) so I ignore it most of the time. In fact that is a common theme with a lot of the mechs that have multiple hard points of the same type in one location in that the latter ones only support smaller weapons of that type.
That's probably because if you're mounting three ballistics at best you could only mount 3 AC/5 in a location since they're 4 slots each and torso's have 12. No point in putting the larger weapon models in then. If you're interested in what 'mechs are out there and what the potential hardpoints are available in the models search for the mwo.smuphy site. It has all of the PGI mechs potentially available (as this is where HBS is getting the models from except for the Hatchetman, Bullshark, and the vehicles), and what the hardpoints are in the models (separated out per variant).

@Timaeus aren't AC20's 4 slots and AC5's 2? I figured it was more to do with size as the bigger barrels and missile racks take up more space when rendered.

And thanks for pointing out that mwo site, it's very useful. Looking through that list and cross referencing with the hardpoinddefs from Battletech you're correct in that there is nothing in the HBS versions that are not also in the PGI versions as far as I can tell.

The interesting one for me is the Hunchback as PGI have several variants with missiles in the right torso but when trying to use them in Battletech they don't render at all despite being declared in the hardpointdefs. Would this be considered a bug when HBS don't have any variants with missiles?

After having looked through all that I'm now very curious to see what these 16 new variants are as I struggle to see 16 lore friendly variants that differ much from those already in the game. Perhaps we'll be getting more Hatchetman 3X's.

Interesting.

I would have expected the Grand Dragon to be virtually guaranteed as one of the added variants, since it's one of the most well-known variants ever made. But yes, they prefer not to change the hardpoints. I'm sure they could if they were sufficiently motivated, though... it has to be easier than building a mech from scratch, after all. I find myself suddenly very curious how motivated HBS is to add the Grand Dragon...

I share in your hopes and dreams of some up-Gunned BATTLETECH Mech Variants in Free Update 1.9... but given HEAVY METAL's Paywall this may be problematic.

So for @HBS_HighCommand , I'll repurpose a quote from President Regan, "Mr Gitelman, Tear Down This Wall!" (At least as far as HM Weapons are concerned. :bow: )

: )

]

As i said, the Hachetman sets a precedence how could it happen. it doesn't eliminate the "paywall", as you would need the HM DLC to get the new mech.

As for the Grand Dragon, I think if they want they can do it. We will see.

I'm interested what else could be in 1.9, and is it a predecessor of a biiiiig update/addon for BT 2.0, which could be anything really.

...I'm interested what else could be in 1.9, and is it a predecessor of a biiiiig update/addon for BT 2.0, which could be anything really.
It will indeed help bridge to the gap from all the BATTLETECH that has come before it... to whatever the Future may hold for HBS, BATTLETECH and us, their fans. : )

And with SIXTEEN Mech Variants, half again as many new Vehicle Variants, a Store-based Difficulty Setting and more, Update 1.9 is fast looking like a truly Mech-sized and FUN Update.

The thing is... Update 1.9 may need to help us bridge far, far, many months into 2020 before we again see something from HBS. HBS is furiously efforting its Secret Projects, so maybe Update 1.9 will buy them the Time and Opportunity to really focus down on these projects and bring one or more of them just that much closer to being announced in 2020...

...maybe even the 2020 PDXCON. : )

@Timaeus aren't AC20's 4 slots and AC5's 2? I figured it was more to do with size as the bigger barrels and missile racks take up more space when rendered.
Nope, not in MWO and table top. Crits were adjusted for the HBS to have a bit more even distribution.
The interesting one for me is the Hunchback as PGI have several variants with missiles in the right torso but when trying to use them in Battletech they don't render at all despite being declared in the hardpointdefs. Would this be considered a bug when HBS don't have any variants with missiles?
unless they finally decide to add a missile variant hunckback to the game I would say, no, since it's not being used by any HBK variant at this time.

I am curious as well, and if they do add in variants that don't have hardpoints modeled I will also be pleasantly surprised.

There was a Hunchback design with SRMs. The HBK-4SP traded out the AC/20 for 2x SRM 6 launchers in the torso (and 2 tons of ammo) and an additional 2x M Lasers in the arms.

I won't lie, watching Mitch's Twitch Stream makes me feel far less bad about my own Career Games so far ;). Less than half-way through my current career, & I can already field an Awesome 8Q, a Battle-Master, an Orion 1K (one of my favourite Heavy Mechs) & a Warhammer 6R :).

That said, Mitch's streams are *always* highly entertaining & I look forward to each one excitedly :).

Me too, and no offense taken. I truly suck. :)

All you need is a MAD-3R Marauder to cure that.

Or Connor's dice.
Or just Connor himself. : )

That was a pretty sweet episode when Connor and Mitch fed each other set-up lines, took good care of, monitored and interacted with Chat and STILL managed to coach Mitch through some effective and extremely well-nuanced game play.

Game play that had included the exact same Mechs that had ended in a Big and Stompy Abattoir this past Thursday.

A moment of silence please, for Mitch's most current Redshirts, the latest entries on Mitch's Memorial Wall. :bow:

A moment of silence please, for Mitch's most current Redshirts, the latest entries on Mitch's Memorial Wall. :bow:

He's gonna need to refit the Beta Pod for that wall, isn't he?

He's gonna need to refit the Beta Pod for that wall, isn't he?
I think Yang managed to unearth a Mackie Center Torso Plate on Coromodir before they left...

...Rumor has it that Yang went back to when Kerensky was a Corporal and the Lord Commander’s was a Boot in the Zathran Defense Force Training Base to find all the many Deaths that have been weighing on Mitch’s conscience.

Even had a crew digging outback of the Lord Commander’s old manor house IIRC on New Abilene...

Turns out just ONE Mackie CT Plate won’t be enough... : (

No wonder the Lord Commander drinks so much. :bow:

I almost want to make the joke that Mitch could lose mechwarriors without even encountering any opfor. Somehow at the end of the mission at the after action screen the pilots are dead with no damage done to their mechs.

I almost want to make the joke that Mitch could lose mechwarriors without even encountering any opfor. Somehow at the end of the mission at the after action screen the pilots are dead with no damage done to their mechs.
Mitch runs nothing but redshirts?

7ECF2C10-5F54-4012-90A0-CFF4F6150398.jpeg

Less than 8-hours until our next edition of Mitch Plays to Win kicks off!

Join Mitch, Ben (aka HBS-L8Knight) and the rest of us in TwitchChat for a Big, Stompy and Memorial Wall-filling hour of BATTLETECH, Mitch Stories and a whole lot of bell ringing! : )

And don’t forget, tonight we’ll be getting the second half of our share of peeks under the hood at what’s included in HBS’s upcoming BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9.

Here is a short recap of last week’s Update 1.9 information:

1.) HBS continues its work to improve BATTLETECH’s Convoy AI. This aspect of the game has proven to be an elusive target. Multiple attempts to improve Convoy AI to the point it represents a reasonably proficient Convoy Operator and Allied Entity have been made to date. However challenges remain and HBS next attempt to refine Convoy AI will arrive with Free Update 1.9

2.) A Difficulty Option will he introduced with Free Update 1.9 - a toggle will be provided where the current level of Planetary Stores, Faction Stores and Black Markets being flush with Advanced (HM) and High Quality (+, ++, +++) Weapons and Equipment will remain, or it can be deselected and the game will refer to pre-Update 1.8 Levels of Weapons and Equipment Availability.

3.) 16 New Mech Variants will be introduced.

4.) 8 New a vehicle Variants will be introduced.