• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Get rid of the disagree button!

Reasoning:
If you agree with a post to a point where you haven't got anything to add, clicking on "agree" is a good thing to simply say "read it and agree, nothing to add", so that makes sense. Same thing with the "helpful" button.
The Disagree button, though, is the same thing than posting "I disagree", only anonymous That is fine, if the post is a one-liner, like, "this game sucks", but if it's a post that contains multiple points and copious reasoning, other than with agreeing, simply disagreeing by clicking on some icon has an air of trolling. (If someone asnwers a post like that with "I disagree" without giving any reasoning or explanation, the post is more or less redundant.) If someone disagrees with a post or part of it, that disagreement should be phrased in a non-anonymous coherent way, because as an opinion it's not worth anything, since it could be based on anything (don't like the poster, the avatar, the phrasing or whatever else).

Take this post as an example; every agree, simply agrees with the suggestion and the reasoning. Every disagree, though - disagrees, for WHATEVER reason, but without any reasoning, it could be a disagree just for the heck of it. For a disagree you'd want a reasoning why the disagree button is a good thing, right?

Get rid of the disagree button!

No, either get rid of ALL buttons as useless showcases for our vanity or keep all buttons. Keeping only the agree button would make the forum similar to the mindless droneposts of Facebook where you can’t disagree with even the most ridiculous stuff.

Reasoning:
If you agree with a post to a point where you haven't got anything to add, clicking on "agree" is a good thing to simply say "read it and agree, nothing to add", so that makes sense. Same thing with the "helpful" button.
The Disagree button, though, is the same thing than posting "I disagree", only anonymous

Actually clicking all 3 buttons is semi-anonymous. While in the thread with the post you can no longer see who voted what, the poster of the message can still see who voted what in the "ratings received" section of his profile.

And there is no difference between agree, helpful and disagree in the regard to what they actually are meant - all 3 lack that info. So if you question about what portion of a message someone disagrees, then you can just as that wonder what part of a message someone found helpful or agreeable. All? Part? Several parts?
Just the same for all 3 buttons.

That is fine, if the post is a one-liner, like, "this game sucks", but if it's a post that contains multiple points and copious reasoning, other than with agreeing, simply disagreeing by clicking on some icon has an air of trolling.

No, actually trolling tries to intentionally provoke a response or a lot of responses. Somewho who feels trolled by someone clicking a colourful button next to his message should abstain from looking at rainbows... :rolleyes:

(If someone asnwers a post like that with "I disagree" without giving any reasoning or explanation, the post is more or less redundant.) If someone disagrees with a post or part of it, that disagreement should be phrased in a non-anonymous coherent way, because as an opinion it's not worth anything, since it could be based on anything (don't like the poster, the avatar, the phrasing or whatever else).

The buttons are below the post/message and thus belong to the message. We do not vote people up or down or the look of an avatar that could be changed with the old votes staying the same.

Take this post as an example; every agree, simply agrees with the suggestion and the reasoning. Every disagree, though - disagrees, for WHATEVER reason, but without any reasoning, it could be a disagree just for the heck of it. For a disagree you'd want a reasoning why the disagree button is a good thing, right?

And here you are wrong. An "agree" could agree with "get rid of that button" or not, but agree with "you would want a reason if someone disagrees" or/and find all your arguments in the rest of the post lacking for as much whatever reason as a disagree.

Actually clicking all 3 buttons is semi-anonymous. While in the thread with the post you can no longer see who voted what, the poster of the message can still see who voted what in the "ratings received" section of his profile.
Helpful.

Apart from that I disagree with the gist of your statements. Dissing the "most ridiculous stuff" isn't high on my list of priorities, because it's a waste of time. This isn't facebook either, where a lot of white noise is produced. This is a forum which is centered around discussing quality games, and my point is that a disagree button won't help the quality of a discussion (while an agree button won't help the discussion either, but does support a post), but will not do justice to a well thought-out post (while an agree button will, to a certain extent).

Being able to express disagreement with a post without actually having to write something - in my opinion - doesn't add anything GOOD to a forum, which also means - again, in my opinion - that it doesn't improve it. It just makes it easier to be negative, and negativity is not something really needed anywhere.
If you have something negative to say - say it, but don't click-diss.

Last edited:
G'day,

is there a hidden option to permanently exclude selected subforums from i.e. "New posts" or is the possibility to add it available? A vBulletin board I visit has this option and I love it.

Yo no hablo espanol et je ne parlais francais, so I would prefer that those could be hidden together with other forums I don't care about.

G'day,

is there a hidden option to permanently exclude selected subforums from i.e. "New posts" or is the possibility to add it available? A vBulletin board I visit has this option and I love it.

Yo no hablo espanol et je ne parlais francais, so I would prefer that those could be hidden together with other forums I don't care about.

As an example the rpgcodex forum that allows to ignore either threads or entire forums (e.g. of a language that you do not understand)
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?ignored/forums
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?ignored/threads

Being able to express disagreement with a post without actually having to write something - in my opinion - doesn't add anything GOOD to a forum, which also means - again, in my opinion - that it doesn't improve it. It just makes it easier to be negative, and negativity is not something really needed anywhere.
If you have something negative to say - say it, but don't click-diss.

May I propose the possibility that the disagree button might actually be serving to decrease negativity? Were it removed, people could feel motivated to take you up on your suggestion of actually verbalizing negative views of posts they would otherwise merely have spent a single mouseclick on. I mean - it's virtually impossible to voice disagreement containing less 'negativity' than the words "I respectfully disagree" unless those words are immediately followed by the phrase "but here's a banana muffin for you".

Add a true block function, instead of a mere ignore function. Ensure that your posts aren't visible to the people you put on 'ignore'.

Reasoning: this way there is a greater incentive to put people on ignore (because this way they can't react to your posts, since they aren't visible). The benefit of this is less heated discussions, more focussed discussions (with people feeling less pressure to react to stuff that starts to go off-topic) and a better user-experience of the forum.

The culture of constant replying in heated discussions and the ideas that 'the person who got the last word in wins'/'putting people on block is agreeing with them instead of cleaning up your own forum-experience' are main drivers for toxic behaviour on these forums. This has the added benefit in reduced fuel (posts they can react on) and reduced engagement with trolls.

Last edited:
What does it matter to you if a person you ignore/block were to respond to you? You'd not be seeing it either way.

Add a true block function, instead of a mere ignore function. Ensure that your posts aren't visible to the people you put on 'ignore'.

Reasoning: this way there is a greater incentive to put people on ignore (because this way they can't react to your posts, since they aren't visible). The benefit of this is less heated discussions, more focussed discussions (with people feeling less pressure to react to stuff that starts to go off-topic) and a better user-experience of the forum.

The culture of constant replying in heated discussions and the ideas that 'the person who got the last word in wins'/'putting people on block is agreeing with them instead of cleaning up your own forum-experience' are main drivers for toxic behaviour on these forums.

You do not have your own forum. You do not even own a thread you started. Everyone is free to discuss there. Being able to put people on ignore so that you no longer have to see what they write is fine - you are after all ignoring them and their posts. However being able to put people on ignore and so taking away their ability to see your posts goes far beyond that - you want to force them to ignore you.

This has the added benefit in reduced fuel (posts they can react on) and reduced engagement with trolls.

Or simply stay calm and civil yourself and report posts that go beyond the forum rules.

Having just done the registration to finally being able to at least view(!) the mod threads for europa universalis 3 ...
please have a look at your registration process, it seems to be messed up quite nicely.
my first try produced an registration email despite giving an error message. then i retried a while trying several temporary mailaddresses since my own was shown as in use and i got google captures. lots of them.
always the non informative 'unable to sign up' message in red.

then i finally got the mail on my own mailaddress. well, despite the error message (i sadly don't remember but it was a different one i think) i won't complain about the fact that it worked at least. :)
Still unable to progress because on the verification link it only said that the verification failed. It seems that your verification does not work with firefox? once i tried vivaldi it worked.
please refrain from torturing customers who are looking for access on your forum. I just wanted to look if there is some nice mod for a game.

It is the first time by the way that i have experienced such problems with a mere registration.

P.S.: great, now i'm registered and logged in but still don't have the permission to view the europa univeralis 3 mods and the register function in the game launcher doesn't work due to 'The requested page could not be found.'
no steam as i bought the game on gog.

i'm really curious what drove you to lock away the mods that hard. are they dangerous? well, aside from making games better. for now i'm frustrated and burying my plans for EU3 :(

Last edited:
Just a spontaneous idea...

Turn the X for "Respectfully Disagree" into another colour to look less agressive.

Yes, red is the traditional colour for negatives and i completely agree so far and don't want the principle changed,
but the button apparently also get used for answering questions negatively. It's stupid in my opinion, but that's one
way it's used sometimes as i can see, and in that context a yellow or pink or such could do and appear less aggressive
and more constructive. Red makes more sense when one has to react quickly on seeing the colour,
which is not the case in a conversation.

As i said, a very spontaneous idea.....and i had no coffee yet.

Small FYI for all you lovely folks:
We're in the process of upgrading the forum! If everything goes we will have the finished design and majority of features in place early next year (January) and then we'll begin the deploy. This will ofc take a bit more time but before Q1 next year we'll have a new fancy forum upgraded to Xenforo 2.1!

Nice to hear. :)

Nice!

Can you fix the login issue then? I hate logging in several times a day. ;)

What I noticed is that writing on forum through mobile is very difficult and frustrating. Problems I think come from auto suggesting of words combined with forum's auto saving which when used in the middle of already written text causes issues. Words tend to get mixed with those written after them, crossing into new line sometimes deletes parts of text and spaces are often skipped. Problems arise especially when I try to write something in between but don't put spaces on both sides, but plan to do so after finishing the new part of the text, so:
First sentence. (Writing here)Second sentence.

What I noticed is that writing on forum through mobile is very difficult and frustrating. Problems I think come from auto suggesting of words combined with forum's auto saving which when used in the middle of already written text causes issues. Words tend to get mixed with those written after them, crossing into new line sometimes deletes parts of text and spaces are often skipped. Problems arise especially when I try to write something in between but don't put spaces on both sides, but plan to do so after finishing the new part of the text, so:
First sentence. (Writing here)Second sentence.
Remember reading that there will soon be an upgrade of the forum, and would include mobile-compatibility. Awaiting that one with great anticipation !

Any chance for Tapatalk compatibility? I would post here a lot more if that was a feature.
Nothing we've been looking at no, but definitely something we will look into should the XF upgrade not deliver a good enough mobile "feeling" that we're after!