• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - 1.6.2 Open Beta Patch

Hello! As podcat noted in the prior Dev Diary, he is away this week at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, so I am filling in for him with a tech lead's perspective about our ongoing activities for the 1.6.2 open beta patch. (If you want to get access to the current open beta build, see the 1.6.2 beta thread for instructions.)

Content

The content designers continue to patch up a variety of problems that have been reported. In particular, this will include fixes to the Battlecry and Awake and Angry achievements, and news events to inform players of relevant changes in the game state, such as naval treaties being removed.

I am also informed that we have two new popular field marshals, already a part of the available 1.6.2 open beta, Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim of Finland, and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk of Turkey:

carl_mannerheim.png
mustafa_kemal_ataturk.png

Code

The programmers are also working through a number of issues of various sizes. These include improvements and fixes for naval interfaces, like a new mission warning icon that will help players detect when their task forces are ill equipped for their missions and explain why. Also, some of the rules and behaviors surrounding naval missions and assigned regions have been reworked to avoid weird or exploitable issues with distant and disconnected regions. We have also made some incremental improvements to the naval invasion AI to make it better coordinate the timing of multiple related invasion orders, and we are continuing to iterate on the invasion AI.

Balancing the Numbers

One area that we have been looking to balance is the ratio of screen ships to capital ships that the AI is choosing to produce. We know that some countries could stand to have more screens, but we don't want to push those numbers up too far, so that they end up with too few capital ships instead.

To help efficiently guide our balancing, we have taken advantage of a cool system that our automation testing team has provided, to log out various game stats that can be collected and graphed each night. This has given us a baseline to know what the current ratios tend to be for various countries. Then, after making balance changes, we can watch the numbers the following night to verify that the AI has adapted appropriately, instead of requiring the designers to manually run a game for an hour to find out if the changes hit the desired target.

Here are a couple examples of the current screen to capital ratios for the U.K. and Japan, over time (note that the numbers are multiplied by 10, but the ratios are actually from about 4:1 up to around 8:1):

screen_cap_ratio_ENG.png

screen_cap_ratio_JAP.png

We hope to have an update to the 1.6.2 open beta patch with these and other fixes by the weekend. The current status of the open beta branch is documented here, and you can follow that thread for future updates.

All of the Allies need love. China, UK, USA, SOV. Its death by 1000 pin pricks. Some high level issues:

UK can't handle fuel, at all, can't get USA fuel from LendLease - land AI is still horrible, Africa and India fall IMMEDIATELY

USA won't lend lease properly to SOV and UK - USA doesn't attack Pacific at all, and try to counter Japan - ignores them completely

China - sinkiang should not be part of China, but in the comintern IIRC - they are communist after all - if they go with China, and they fall, then JAP has 2 borders with India, immediatelty after war start, and can flank Raj and take it over ASAP. If UK loses RAJ, then UK loses SE Asai, and AUS and NZL are next - especially with a USA that doesn't fight back.

SOV - I can't say, maybe front line shuffle and garrison issue people have mentioned hurts them the most, but the point is, unless USA/UK mount pressure against GER by 43-44, its game over for SOV.

When I play USA, its almost like I don't need to put high difficulty on, because my allies are SO BAD, its already USA against the world. And yeah, if GER Annexes SOV, its game over. USA can max out it factories in 1943, but still not enough to compete against GER owning that much land. USA would have to invade South american, just for more factory potential. I don't want a game lasting until the 50s.

In general, its just due to all of the bugs. Most of these are fixed in EAI, but unfortunately the new 1.6.2 "negative convoy bug" when lend lease is modified, is preventing @Chondrite from updating to 1.6.2, and now I can't even play that anymore. And of course the convoy bug will be low priority compared to the hundreds of other more important bugs out there.

It's definitely not game over once the Soviets fall. You can still easily win by 1943 or 1944 if you know how to use your airforce and build effective divisions instead of going 7/2 infantry spam with no air support. Source: me in several games knocking out the US and Mexican achievements and having to solo Uber Germany. If I can finish off Uber Germany in a year or two as a non-allied Mexico, you should have no problem as the US.

Just want to add onto what I said earlier, but going the Monarch route as UK really needs some ways to peace out and/or needs work. Played maybe twenty games now as Monarch UK and you end up with situations where Axis own the entire map (fine), you own Italy (cool), but you can't end the war because Hungarian Pact of Rome (or the Italian faction, Novus whatever) is unassailable given it's completely landlocked an surrounded by the Axis. Sure I could declare war on Germany, great idea there when they own every province on the map but the UK, Italy, and Hungary and it's the 1970's. Goes back to my earlier comment even if it's the suggestion forum, there needs to be a way to peace out if literally NOTHING has happened in X months or years. I see the AI do it with each other all the time, no reason I can't as well. I've basically giving up on playing Monarchy UK after twenty games because no matter which route you go OTHER THAN JOINING THE AXIS you eventually get locked into an unwinnable (and unlosable) war whether it be v. Italy, New Zealand, US, etc. Also there really needs to be away to "boost ideology" of unaligned because even with things like "Coerce Spain" you can never get them to join you (because in the twenty years it takes they will join the Axis .. you can faction them immediately BUT they immediately leae as < 50% unaligned) nor other unaligned nations as well late game.

In my game I saw Poland and Estonia alone defeat USSR and killing 16 millions of soviets. It is ridiculous. I have payed 80€ for this?. Please, better IA URSS. Thank you.

Yeah something def off with Russia and France in 1.6 and I don't think it's "Germany is OP!!!!". I've turned both the Russian AND French sliders up to max and Germany still steamrolls both of them (ditto Japan solo'ing Russia (Germany remaining at peace) with Russia max slider) with no Italian allies + two front war and not going through Belgium/Netherlands/Hungary/Austria. Like how Germany can push through a two mountain province natural chokepoint (Czech/Romanian border) into Romania with all of Romania and Czech's army sitting in those two provinces in a week like nothing is even defending at all you got me (even on the supply side of it). Like regardless of Germany's strength conceptually they simply shouldn't be able to straight push the French solid level 10 border nor through the Czech/Romania chokepoint period, we are talking mountain provinces with 10+ units stacked on defense per tile being attacked at most by two angles hence low nation invasion, Hungarian allies, Italy pushing into southern France to pull units, etc, i.e. I feel also (unwritten) that forts got a LOT weaker. But regardless where is the French army during this? On the non-Axis Italian border? The non-Axis Spanish border? Africa? Where is the Czech/Romanian Army, hanging out defending against Poland or Bulgaria while Germany walks right through some amazing chokepoints? (and ones that they might even have the bright idea they should build some forts after the war starts while stalling in Czech realizing the amazing chokepoint they naturally have and only have to stall long enough to build them). LIke between the three of them in 1939 they have to defend a whopper SEVEN MOUNTAIN TILES and that's it but nope, can't do it.

And this isn't "random event". This happened in every one of my twenty games on 1.6.

PS: BTW Paradox def some odd bug I can't describe in 1.6.2 with crashing; game will lock up you have to reboot to resolve, first sign is sound crashes. Not a CTD as game never crashes, just locks up entire system until reboot. New behavior in 1.6.2 (beta).

It's definitely not game over once the Soviets fall. You can still easily win by 1943 or 1944 if you know how to use your airforce and build effective divisions instead of going 7/2 infantry spam with no air support. Source: me in several games knocking out the US and Mexican achievements and having to solo Uber Germany. If I can finish off Uber Germany in a year or two as a non-allied Mexico, you should have no problem as the US.
Well, I play EAI, a little bit more difficult than Vanilla.

@shultays

Is it as intended for 1.6.2 that the error log gives errors now for every nation for every ideology which does not have a leader portrait? For bigger mods such as the one I develop on this can give into the thousands of errors (approx 2K for us). Could this feature be removed or is there an easy way to remove these errors, since it is not realistic or viable for us to add all leaders for all nations for all ideologies. Thanks in advance

image of part of the error log:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/332527029305999362/561214788965761034/unknown.png

- They have no air force compared to Germany.
- They don't build up their industry the way Germany does.
- They get no help from their allies. Germany gets a lot of help from their allies. Especially Romania and Italy.
- They constantly shuffle their forces around and send them to the middle of who knows where.
- They build 2nd tier infantry equipment and 1936 light tanks for the entire game. The Germans actually keep their tech up to date. Germany easily crushes them because of their tech advantage.

If you combine all of those then it's no wonder why the Soviets always lose. It looks like they optimized Germany as far as how they build up their military and just neglected everyone else.
Also if the Japanese are defeated an unaligned or a puppet of China, Soviets invade them even when fighting off Barbarossa insuring their collapse (soviets go down anti japan focus tree and then invaded irrespective of worldwide situation).

nah its been already well documented that Germany still have all its equipment, oil, manpower etc after fighting Human player for 3-4 years, Germany is OP as ****
In our MP game germany has more factories (580 in May 1942) than the soviets (260) and Americans (282) combined. Britain is in there with about 210 also. Also some how germany has more manpower available!

İt's great thing making Grand Turk the field marshal of Turkey but Grand Turk will die in 1938 so it's not useful at all. You should add some events that can keep him alive. National focus maybe ?? (uh that would be sweet!)

Francisco Franco still has a threeway with Hitler and Mussolini in the beta patch. Nothing can prevent this from happening. Whatever was altered in the code it doesn't change anything in the long run.

What about that kickass general Austria gives Germany after Anschluss? Franz Bohme? It would be cool to see his portrait. :D

Photo of Franz Bohme of the Austrian Bundesheer
search

Photo of Franz Bohme of the Third Reich
search

In our MP game germany has more factories (580 in May 1942) than the soviets (260) and Americans (282) combined. Britain is in there with about 210 also. Also some how germany has more manpower available!

Has Russia lost a lot of ground or something? Because Russia in MP generally has around 550 IC in mid-1941 without ahistorical conquests.

EDIT: Actually your USA is really low too. This sounds more like a skill level problem, than a game balance issue.

Last edited:
Has Russia lost a lot of ground or something? Because Russia in MP generally has around 550 IC in mid-1941 without ahistorical conquests.

EDIT: Actually your USA is really low too. This sounds more like a skill level problem, than a game balance issue.
Russia has lost some factories in the Ukraine and west of Moscow, the issue is not the lack of our factories but the huge amount of German ones. They haven’t even taken Denmark yet lol

Russia has lost some factories in the Ukraine and west of Moscow, the issue is not the lack of our factories but the huge amount of German ones. They haven’t even taken Denmark yet lol

Not enough to account for the massive IC disparity with that SOV vs what SOV normally has in MP, at least in VOIP games with vetting.

SOV is too weak in vanilla, I agree on that, but it can definitely do a lot better than in your game. So I wouldn't use that particular game as a platform for evaluating game balance.

By mistake I got a pretty accurate Historical setting in Europe even though I didn't mean to do a Historical game, I forgot to untick it. I went with it anyway, with India. Once China and Japan started fighting I simply deleted all of Japans armies, and let China win. Peace in the east.

Then I just fought on in Africa and we took it, and the whole game pretty much played out to the year how things went historically. It was amazing. I'm going to try the same thing again later and see if it repeats. Maybe Japan is the Black Sheep that somehow messes up the progression in Europe, the Butterfly Effect.