Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is not position, and I pretty clearly explained my position. I will make no assumptions as to why you came up with that interpretation, as I would not presume to suggest that you are responding in bad faith, I will simply inform you that you are dead wrong and wish you a good day.

what? do you speak english? i'm bad at it but i think what i write is realy basic and understandable .

you don't like europe because they imposed the GDPR because you have to adjust to it , i'm wrong ? i didn't understand something there?

or are you saying that you don't like what europe do in general ? this would change nothing, since the GDPR is something europe did, so you don't like it . since the GDPR force companyes to be open about information gathering and utilization , you don't like to know when companies take information and how they use them .

or it is a political position of " because europe did it , i hate it " that is even worse? since you would deliberately do or support something you don't like just because the solution was made by a faction that you don't like?
Feel free to continue your discussion via PM, as it is done here.

Overall, I am quite disappointed with the way PDX handles the GDPR changeover. I like PDX and almost all PDX products very much, so I'm expressing myself instead of being silently annoyed.
However, I get the impression that PDX is very reluctant to make the change, that it doesn't manage to see GDPR as an opportunity, and that, on top of that, numerous changes are (seemingly) unnecessarily made against the interests of customers.

Formulations like that data is deleted GDPR-compatible, unless you have a game of PDX (which is always true, otherwise you wouldn't have produced data first), or now that a login (with data transfer) is necessary to access old versions seems cynical. I'm also worried about how much IPs seem to be stored.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm willing to voluntarily share a lot of data of my choice, have participated in every poll so far, and try to contribute something constructive to the forum. However, if I get the impression that PDX tries to take data by "force" and treat privacy cynically, then my opinion of PDX and accordingly my willingness to provide data drops.

Maybe I just misunderstood something and the communication went wrong. But since I had the impression that PDX was interested in a good relationship and good communication with customers, it seemed right to me to express my perception.

Hm, I'm not sure that works. I basically own all Paradox Games, but on the Paradox Plaza Games tab (i.e. https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games), I can only see a selection of my games and DLCs. (Maybe just the ones I actually bought from the Paradox Store, not from Steam?) Crusader Kings 2 base game, for example, is not listed. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
The same thing is happening to me. Only Stellaris is listed. Where is my EU4 and my HoI4?

My games list is bugged too, like most people here it seems. It only shows games I bought via paradox, not those via steam.
I am also wondering why 1.26 will be password locked? It's released after GDPR took place (somewhere in May), yet it's not GDPR compliant? That seems weird :)

Overall, I am quite disappointed with the way PDX handles the GDPR changeover. I like PDX and almost all PDX products very much, so I'm expressing myself instead of being silently annoyed.
However, I get the impression that PDX is very reluctant to make the change, that it doesn't manage to see GDPR as an opportunity, and that, on top of that, numerous changes are (seemingly) unnecessarily made against the interests of customers.

Formulations like that data is deleted GDPR-compatible, unless you have a game of PDX (which is always true, otherwise you wouldn't have produced data first), or now that a login (with data transfer) is necessary to access old versions seems cynical. I'm also worried about how much IPs seem to be stored.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm willing to voluntarily share a lot of data of my choice, have participated in every poll so far, and try to contribute something constructive to the forum. However, if I get the impression that PDX tries to take data by "force" and treat privacy cynically, then my opinion of PDX and accordingly my willingness to provide data drops.

Maybe I just misunderstood something and the communication went wrong. But since I had the impression that PDX was interested in a good relationship and good communication with customers, it seemed right to me to express my perception.

Don’t really understand what you’re trying to say here. Can you elaborate please?

...These specific versions predate the enactment of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - hence they are not compliant with the new policy.

In order to continue our endeavor to reach full GDPR compliance, we have designed a new system regarding the access to earlier versions of PDS titles: from the 1st of October 2018 onward all previous versions of PDS titles will be locked under a Steam password.

After 1st October, you will need to log into the Paradox Plaza website with your Paradox Account to access the codes for previous branches of each game that you own. This will, however, require you to link your Steam account to your Paradox Account. In an effort to comply with the GDPR, this is something we need to put behind the Paradox logins as it requires agreement to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use to adhere to the GDPR guidelines. ...

Dear Paradox,

this reasoning makes no sense. It seems you abuse the implementation of the GDPR as an excuse to collect more data from your customers.

Let me elaborate on the inconsistencies in your allegedly GDPR conform new policy:
  1. Forcing your customers to link games they acquired via steam to their paradox accounts, is exactly the opposite of what the principle of data minimisation demands since you are collecting more personal data rather than less. This is one of the basic principles of European data protection law enshrined in Art. 5 (1) (c) GDPR.
  2. It is unclear why you cannot obtain an agreement to your updated privacy policy via steam. Steam offers technical ways to demand your customers to agree to terms of use and privacy policies. All you had to do is update those policies for older games.
  3. Most of your games were published prior to the applicability of the GDPR. Many aren't actively updated any longer. Why would it then make a difference if I used the latest version (which you still distribute via steam) or an older update (which will only be available after registration on your forums) if both aren't compliant with the GDPR?
Please stop bullshitting your customers or get competent lawyers!

Also thank you for renaming me to "unmerged305389"! Let me guess robbing me of my forum name was done in the name of the GDPR as well?

Your games are good but your business practices become more rotten by the day. It really is a paradox ...

I have link may steam account there is no game showing in paradox account, maybe you should make sure it works.
Even if your Game page doesn't populate properly you will see all the passwords for the older versions of the games, it will be a separate section.

There is no separates section where codes are.
They have said the codes will appear on the first of October - they are not there yet.

Also thank you for renaming me to "unmerged305389"! Let me guess robbing me of my forum name was done in the name of the GDPR as well?
Actually, this means that you haven't been on the forum for quite some time... since they merged to new server a few years back.

1. Most of your games were published prior to the applicability of the GDPR. Many aren't actively updated any longer. Why would it then make a difference if I used the latest version (which you still distribute via steam) or an older update (which will only be available after registration on your forums) if both aren't compliant with the GDPR?

did you at least read the post and the "show only dev response" before writhing this? . even old version still get info from the users, so they have to apply GDPR

By even playing a previous version of the game that tells us that there's something that is driving some folks there - more so if it's a large portion of the player base playing a previous branch. When we have that data, it becomes valuable and actionable information for the team. Getting telemetry on previous versions of the games and seeing how that version is being interacted with helps to inform future development decisions. The core of gathering any form of telemetry data from a game is to better understand what people do with it - from a development perspective that's about understanding interactions within the game and what is meaningful to people, from a community perspective it helps us to understand where we can engage with our players and what we should communicate regarding future updates that will be of interest.

Forcing your customers to link games they acquired via steam to their paradox accounts, is exactly the opposite of what the principle of data minimisation demands since you are collecting more personal data rather than less. This is one of the basic principles of European data protection law enshrined in Art. 5 (1) (c) GDPR.

They already get those information, steam share this info ( even with other players), the game itself , and your paradox account . if you want to accuse them of something, at least understand what info they get and share first.

Please stop bullshitting your customers or get competent lawyers!

why? those are just passive aggressive insult of victimhood that show your personal hostility ...

So what happens when someone invariably dumps the passwords in a pastebin and it gets circulated? Does it all get tied to the dumper's account? Are the passwords unique?

I'm not linking anything, that's just stupid; in order to comply with anti-data collection, you need to collect more data on me? How about since I made an account, you give me access to the passwords, instead? Even better, why not send out the passwords to the Steam accounts, that way you don't have to worry about whether or not non-legitimate owners can access it.

I am also wondering why 1.26 will be password locked? It's released after GDPR took place (somewhere in May), yet it's not GDPR compliant? That seems weird :)
It probably was already in production before that. Now why they didn't have it fixed for the day the GDPR went into force, and hence have broken the law for 4 months, I don't know.

That has nothing to do with the GDPR. Many years ago the old forum accounts stopped being handed out and instead everything was paradox accounts. Forum account holders then got then option to create a paradox account. Then three years ago things migrated to a new server and forum accounts no longer were able to log in. Hence when first logging in they'd be prompted to make a paradox account, something you also made when you returned from your years long hiatus. Then around a year or so ago they did some update where their data handling required all named accounts to be paradox accounts. Think it was to do with the PI store. So all remaining forum accounts were changed to unmerged(account number), i.e. they were soft deleted. That also meant that if one of them ever returned they could find somebody else now having claimed their old account name... I'm surprised you didn't get a prompt to choose a new name when you returned.

did you at least read the post and the "show only dev response" before writhing this? . even old version still get info from the users, so they have to apply GDPR
Think he's talking about unsupported games like Vicky II. For which this makes no sense since the latest version of Vicky II doesn't follow the rules either and hence by these arguments should get password protected too. Or removed from the libraries, but that'd be a financial nightmare as it both would lose them tons of goodwill and would cost loads in compensation.

So what happens when someone invariably dumps the passwords in a pastebin and it gets circulated? Does it all get tied to the dumper's account? Are the passwords unique?
That actually is a very good question since if somebody obtains the password that way then I don't think PI fulfills the law to gather that person's data. Though I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong. But give you need to have a clear consent, afaik, then somebody obtaining the pass from a pastebin would bring PI into trouble as they wouldn't have clear consent from that man.

That actually is a very good question since if somebody obtains the password that way then I don't think PI fulfills the law to gather that person's data. Though I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong. But give you need to have a clear consent, afaik, then somebody obtaining the pass from a pastebin would bring PI into trouble as they wouldn't have clear consent from that man.

My friend gave me a code to access an older version of the game, can I use it?
Yes, but please understand that by using the code you agree with our Privacy Policy and understand what it means.

they try to get away with this. i'm not sure if you can get away with this, but you are basicaly stealing the password at this point , so ....