• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You do know you can shift click to built in all provinces in a state right?
Mind = blown
Played for years, never figured that out

Really? L-F is my absolute favorite policy. I get a huge kick out of seeing the right side of my screen fill up with factory constructions as soon as I elect liberal parties and blasting into first place due to industry score.

I played a Soviet Union run once and while it was fun forcing communism on everyone, building my industry was a total pain in the ass.

If you check and realize that there is say 0 production of shoes and a shitload of explosives factories that nobody wants and you can't do anything about it LF really becomes an annoyance. Also the AI never really cares for the production boni from goods that are produced in a state. At least picking out the first few factories for a state makes sense.
Also always funding all factories once money isn't the obstacle anymore (to keep pops employed and happy) is something I like doing (and LF won't allow any of that).

Mind = blown
Played for years, never figured that out

If you check and realize that there is say 0 production of shoes and a shitload of explosives factories that nobody wants and you can't do anything about it LF really becomes an annoyance. Also the AI never really cares for the production boni from goods that are produced in a state. At least picking out the first few factories for a state makes sense.
Also always funding all factories once money isn't the obstacle anymore (to keep pops employed and happy) is something I like doing (and LF won't allow any of that).

I’ve found that subsidizing, “shockingly”, encourages the AI to invest in inferior factories. At least, in PDM, you can demolish closed factories and let the capis take another shot at the market. As you say, by then, they are so rich it doesn’t really matter.

Really? L-F is my absolute favorite policy. I get a huge kick out of seeing the right side of my screen fill up with factory constructions as soon as I elect liberal parties and blasting into first place due to industry score.

I played a Soviet Union run once and while it was fun forcing communism on everyone, building my industry was a total pain in the ass.

Obviously it's more micro but it's certainly stronger. Build factories that earn no coin mean you have pop that earn no money, so they build militancy, spread troubles and draw manpower out of factories that earn goo coin. Also ignore comon sense like factory bonus. Once the factory loadout is setup it's not bad to let capis invest but first you must set the masterplan into motion. It seems like capis have no qualms in funding a factory that is bound to run a deficit.

It seems like capis have no qualms in funding a factory that is bound to run a deficit.
Painfully true. The capis seem to go out of their way to build more of whatever is the least profitable factory in your country already, and building yet another just makes it worse. I had one Prussia/NGF game where the AI built cement plants in all but one region, and the only one NOT already closed (but losing money by the cartload) was the one I had subsidized for a while in order to at least have one of everything....so they built another in that last province that didn't already have one. Almost the same thing happened with ammo in another game, where I had numerous bankrupt ammo factories and several more losing money before likewise shutting the doors, and the AI capitalist idiots built more. I've seen it with canned food as well, but canned food can actually start to do fairly well in the mid-to-late game as the lower classes begin to buy it, even though it's a financial disaster early on. I just seems like whatever is already doing the WORST is what gets built the most often, and the extra production drives the price down even further.

There really needs to be some sanity check on capitalist investments, so if the average existing factory of a particular type is losing money the odds of them investing in building another go WAY down. If there are any closed factories of that type in the country, they should reopen one first, before even thinking about building another.

There really needs to be some sanity check on capitalist investments, so if the average existing factory of a particular type is losing money the odds of them investing in building another go WAY down. If there are any closed factories of that type in the country, they should reopen one first, before even thinking about building another.

"Hey guys, I heard that all national can food factories are bankrupting, isn't that time to build our own factory now that the offer is going down?"

"Hey guys, I heard that all national can food factories are bankrupting, isn't that time to build our own factory now that the offer is going down?"
"Nonsense, old chap! Clippers is where it is at!"

One of the patches back when did actually make capis less likely to rebuild the same factory over and over if I remember correctly, but it only helped a little. Using NF's to help guide them to the industry you want them building can help.
The system is super wonky at times.
LF is a pain in the butt when they aren't building anything useful and I find it's only better later on after you've already set up a good industry.

I won't lie though I typically find communist governments the way to go with nations that have upwards of about 10-15 states, I can manage about that many without a problem. More than that and it becomes a burden. Plus I can usually get all social reforms passed in just a few years, which for a nation in the Americas can be great for immigration; or help lower the flow of migrants out of your nation anywhere else.

At least those cement plants, canned food factories, and ammo factories are good for something: placeholders. Once you research the next set of industries (telephones, automobiles, electrical equipment, fuel, etc.), you can change your ruling party to one that can demolish the closed factories and build shiny new ones for the new products.....and then you change the government again, and turn industry back over to the capitalists to expand those factories at their own expense. The craftsmen and clerks will eventually demote and leave the unprofitable factories, while the ones making money will retain more of their employees and even pick up a few from the failing ones, and the capitalists at least seem to expand the factories at full employment capacity instead of those down to 2 Craftsmen and 30 clerks.

Placeholders is actually a good point, I do keep em around at low levels occasionally just for that.
I remember when I was newer to the game (gods that was 7 years ago now, how the time flies...) I had a problem sometimes that my home regions would be full of factories that employed tens of thousands of people and I didn't wanna demolish them even though I really needed a good radio factory there or some such. I will now keep a slot or two either open or with a low level crap factory I can demolish later in states where those factories would be good.

I'm interested in doing some minor modding. Mainly changing some values in the defines.lua as well as changing some unit stats in the units folder. Do I have to start a new campaign for the changes to take effect?

I'm interested in doing some minor modding. Mainly changing some values in the defines.lua as well as changing some unit stats in the units folder. Do I have to start a new campaign for the changes to take effect?
I believe (but could be wrong) that the program reads those files at the start, and then uses saved data from there, so either parts or all of it may not have any effect on the current game.

[ That's what I get for allowing myself to get interrupted half-way through a reply...someone else comes up with a better answer before I finish the response. ]

I prefer to start off with State Capitalism in order to get my industry off the ground with sensible factories to maximise RGO sync bonuses, and then once they're running well I tend to switch over to Interventionism for quite a while, subsidising a few factories of certain things I might want (particularly Artillery in the early game, at least in PDM as I barely remember vanilla :p). Then once my factories are starting to clerk up and are at a reasonable size, I switch over to LF and let them be. Occasionally in the late game I try to find a way to get SC back briefly to build Tank and Airplane factories when the AI is refusing to do that even with NF's, but I still try and get back to LF quite quickly, or at least Interventionism to let them self-upgrade.

In HPM, is there something blocking the Indian puppets from westernizing? They all seem stuck at 20 or 30%. I checked and they all are sitting on max research points. Sindh seems fine on its own. I also released Bangladesh as a puppet and it westernized, so it doesn't seem tied to puppet status. However, I tried releasing the Mughals, too, but they stuck once they got to 30%.

I have a weird tooltip bug. The events that give Casus Belli, like for example Colonial Incident, work correctly but the tooltip just says the name of the target nation and nothing else.
B4920600964F777844150665FCCF5B1F142F6AA4

Hey Guys I just get the two DLC's and my game changed from German to English, do you know how to change it? And can you still play a saved game which you started without DLC's ? My save game just looks weird. I am already the German empire but when I want to start it now with DLC they say Prussia is a great power ( they dont exist anymore) and I'm now a secondary power.

So, playing as Italy in HPM, I really gave Austria a beating and got all my cores and claims from them. My ally Prussia did not mobilize, got sieged down and ended up white peaceing them. Austria was really taught a lesson. Perhaps too much, because they fell from GP down to 11. Now the South German states are all without spheres. Did I screw Prussia over? Will Prussia be able to sphere them, or will they be contested for the rest of the game with all GPs discrediting and banning embassies like they often do in Belgium? When Austria regains GP status, will they be able to get their ex spherelings back so I and Prussia can make them admit hegemony? I want a strong Germany.

8000, sorry I couldn't help myself.