• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The portraits all look bad.. The ships are fine, but I was honestly hoping for something way cooler looking and not just a bunch of too weird lol-aliens.

Reactions:
$3.75 was my day-one price for a species pack, and $2.50 was my eventually price. Looks like it's going to be a long wait for Eventually.

Reactions:
The proven argument is that if its thought to be more expensive than the item's perceived value (purely cosmetic dlc) than people won't buy it. A lower price could easily provide a net gain because more people would buy it. On the other hand, for a price like this, had there been some gameplay additions (plant-themed events for example) than this price point would likely have been perfectly acceptable. (I balk at 7.99 for cosmetics-only, I drool at 7.99 for cosmetics + events)

It's impossible for them to put gameplay behind a paywall for the time being as a whole lot of people would throw a fit as they "released a broken game and should fix it first."

Perception can be wrong. The claim that the Plantoids DLC has about 1/6th of the art assets the base gamedoesn't sound all that unrealistic, actually. And art DLC won't nearly sell as much as the base game will.

We all know that its the vocal minority that the devs care about, not the actual sales duuuh.

If you think they don't care about what you say then why are you on the forums?

I for myself believe that Paradox games rely on the community for much of their advertisement for their products. More so than other developers. if the community dislikes the game then not much DLC will be sold.

Reactions:
Woah wait a minute there. Are you seriously trying to tell me that this DLC took as much time as past DLCs in past games such as EU IV, CK 2, etc. which brought on new events, new game mechanics, took a month or more of balancing and knocking out bugs in the code, and sold for about 10$ (tha'ts 2$ more htan this BTW) is equivalent?
Do you seriously believe that cosmetic DLC sells as well as non-cosmetic DLC, which it would have to do for your comparison to make any sort of sense at all?

Reactions:
Technically all ships have lots and lots of separate parts you build together in the ship designer.

Plantoids alone contains art at about 1/6th of the entire game.

IMHO, plantoids could have been priced at 19.99$ and have bern way worth it.

This is eye opening. 1/6 of the entire game certainly is a lot of art assets, and adding such a large amount of art to my game certainly is desirable (though not sure if 1/6 of the art would be worth 1/2 of the entire game's cost at your $19.99...). Again, the problem is that in the end, to a consumer, its still just cosmetic. Simply throw in some early/mid/late game plant-themed events and suddenly I've GOT to have this. Events are already the way to spice up the game, now it can spice up the DLC

PS. Other ways to add plant-themed game content could have been new neutral plant-type creature(s) (living kelp?) to discover floating around in space, or planet events like giant world-trees that pollinate other planets over time, etc.

Reactions:
While it is a little high for me, I'm okay with it existing, since it is just cosmetic, and doesn't include more traits or any other features that I'd want to see in the vanilla game. I do wonder if they've priced most people out of purchasing it, and then will look at that wonder about future DLC development. I'll likely pick it up in a sale sometime, like I did with other cosmetic DLCs from Paradox.

In general though, I still remain optimistic since CK2 and EU4, when the real gameplay DLC is released, there are free elements of a patch as well.

Smiles

Reactions:
This is eye opening. 1/6 of the entire game certainly is a lot of art assets, and adding such a large amount of art to my game certainly is desirable (though not sure if 1/6 of the art would be worth 1/2 of the entire game's cost at your $19.99...). Again, the problem is that in the end, to a consumer, its still just cosmetic. Simply throw in some early/mid/late game plant-themed events and suddenly I've GOT to have this. Events are already the way to spice up the game, now it can spice up the DLC

PS. Other ways to add plant-themed game content could have been new neutral plant-type creature(s) (living kelp?) to discover floating around in space, or planet events like giant world-trees that pollinate other planets over time, etc.

Well, if one minor cosmetic DLC constitutes one sixth of the total number of art assets in this game, that's not necessarily an argument for this specific DLC. It could also be easily construed as an argument against the game.

Reactions:
It's impossible for them to put gameplay behind a paywall for the time being as a whole lot of people would throw a fit as they "released a broken game and should fix it first."
Plant-themed events would not be gameplay such as combat formations, or better sectors, or some other highly requested improvement. Plant-themed events would simply add to the pool of possible events, giving each game a little more varied flavor, but in no way required. Its not a paywall for the sort of gameplay that people get upset about missing out over. It would be appropriate to the DLC, and in my opinion, perfectly acceptable to most people

Reactions:
Don't disagree with the general gist of your post, but as a side note 1.3 did actually break the game for mac users like myself. We're waiting on a hot fix as we speak.

1.3 hasn't been released yet.... 1.3 is Heinlin. Maybe you mean 1.2.1, 1.2.2, or 1.2.3?

If it was 1.2.3 that was released this morning, along with 1.2.2. Give em some time. You can always revert to a previous patch as well on steam

Perception can be wrong. The claim that the Plantoids DLC has about 1/6th of the art assets the base gamedoesn't sound all that unrealistic, actually. And art DLC won't nearly sell as much as the base game will.

If you think they don't care about what you say then why are you on the forums?

I for myself believe that Paradox games rely on the community for much of their advertisement for their products. More so than other developers. if the community dislikes the game then not much DLC will be sold.

Im here because I like it, and sometimes because I get triggered like now. My point is that the community is large, and they bought stellaris in loads, you could assume that a huge portion of them now hate the game, but its just a assumption.

Reactions:
That's been an issue with games for ages. In some countries like Australia, you spend far more on the same content than you would if you lived in Europe or America.

Australia has a special tax that applies to video games. There are however no reason for the price to be differently priced for European and US customers, but that's how Steam does it.

Reactions:
There may have been tons of work art wise, but I think it would have been nicer with a free big patch on the side.
Then the chance is higher for me to consider buying this DLC.
Just like with Europa Universalis 4. Tons of free patches, DLC adding new features and content pack on the side. I liked that a lot.

This is just a content pack that can be done with good modding as well I believe.

I expected a more wowwwwww! In the first Stellaris DLC.

Reactions:
Just dont listen to haters PDX, if people dont understand how much effort it takes to produce such great 3d models its not your problem. And be calm, there are a lot of us who understands and buys.

Reactions:
Technically all ships have lots and lots of separate parts you build together in the ship designer.

Plantoids alone contains art at about 1/6th of the entire game.

It costs more than 1/6th the price of the base game, and the base game has more than art in it.

Reactions:
than explain me why the full game costs about 40 bucks and a cosmetic dlc nearly 1/4 of it?
Because there's a much greater amount of people interested in picking up a new game than there are people interested in having some new species, so relative to the amount of "content" it contains you can price a game lower than would DLC because more people will buy it.

Personally I think it's a touch expensive, and would have gone over alot better with some species specific events included.

That's just lunacy however. :D

Reactions:
Am I really the only one who doesn't care about the price but rather is disappointed in how bad the species look? I'd pay for the ships, they look great, but these 'plantoids' are all absolutely worthless imo.

Reactions:
1.3 hasn't been released yet.... 1.3 is Heinlin. Maybe you mean 1.2.1, 1.2.2, or 1.2.3?

If it was 1.2.3 that was released this morning, along with 1.2.2. Give em some time. You can always revert to a previous patch as well on steam

My mistake. 1.2.3 is the one I mean (or whichever one accompanied plantoids release). Hopefully it will be fixed soon, although not being able to even start the game up on one of the platforms it's released for is a pretty major oversight in my opinion.

Reactions:
Well, if one minor cosmetic DLC constitutes one sixth of the total number of art assets in this game, that's not necessarily an argument for this specific DLC. It could also be easily construed as an argument against the game.
Amongst people for whom the amount of graphics in strategy games matter a lot, it certainly could be an arguments against the game itself. On the other hand, such people presumably noticed this already with the release and didn't buy the game, or bought it and were disappointed because it lacked the gigabytes of graphics they felt necessary for proper strategy. :p