Hearts of Iron IV - 24th Development Diary - 11th of September 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SU probably produces more than 208 but only a certain percentage of the total production is free to be traded away, depending on trade laws.
208 is just 208 out of 208, since there is no stockpiling you aren't producing per day/week.
How much you can import is capped by how much civilian industry you can trade for it, so Italy probably wouldn't be able to import anywhere near the whole 208.
Also it should be that supply and demand is met. It would be pointless and stupid for Italy to trade for all 208 chromium if they only need say 2 of it. And I really hope that after a production line is finished and I don't need the resources anymore that it will automatically cancel the trade.

"Trading for a resource locks civilian factories for its trade, which limits the amount of constructions of other buildings you can do, but if you export resources you will gain use of foreign civilian factories."

I don't really understand this. From what I can gather, importing resources reduces your IC/factories, but exporting can give you more. How wrong am I?

"Trading for a resource locks civilian factories for its trade, which limits the amount of constructions of other buildings you can do, but if you export resources you will gain use of foreign civilian factories."

I don't really understand this. From what I can gather, importing resources reduces your IC/factories, but exporting can give you more. How wrong am I?
You are correct, in a sense. But those are not permanent changes as when the trade is cancelled as you don't need the resources anymore or if there is a war or whatever then the civilian factories will be again unlocked for your use and the exporter will no longer have access to your civilian factories.

Reactions:
Well, I personally do not like it. Way to oversimplified and restrictive for my taste, and abstract. For me it was better in HOI2 and HOI3.

I actually do not like several things I have seen. Air battle is one thing - too big regions. Same thing goes with automatic sea battles. Battle plans also - what if I want to place units by myself? I do not get prepared plan bonus? It is forcing a player to use new feature and AI that most likely won't be up to the task if any grand strategy PDX game is considered. Then this whole thing with civilian factories and trade.

On the other hand, National Focus, variant system, division builder, laws and political power system - great things! More sandy box game with freedom - great thing!

But the game in general gets way too much abstractions and automatisations for my taste. This is just my opinion, no one has to agree, but I needed to say what I think.

Reactions:
I don't know if the DD was badly phrased or some people have a problem reading properly.

You CAN NOT choose who to export to.

You CAN choose who to import from.

Read again folks ,)

Reactions:
I'm not sure I'm getting this. Could you give a concrete example?
From the different videos we have seen the different trade laws have x% ressources on global market.
So a random example with random numbers would be:
Freetrade: 80% of your ressources available on the global market. If you have 100 iron. other nations could potential trade you for 80 of those and leave you with 20 for your internal production.
Depending on the trade laws you can then limit this exposure by limiting the % of your ressource on the global market.
EDIT: atleast thats my understanding. Might be that the ressources on the global market are just "lost" for the country. but that seems weird to me.

Reactions:
hm... so Italy has access to steel and aluminium ONLY... and judging from the map, that seems to be the trend throughout most of europe... Oil and rubber can be obtained via refineries, though considering those take up factory-slots, I'm guessing it'll be rather suboptimal to rely too heavily on them... meaning we've got an actual reason to gain control of africa and the middle east! :O

*ahem*
I am assuming there to be a further trend of "resource X is localised in area Y and Z ONLY" for the other resources, giving us a good reason for spreading out and controlling various areas of the world, if not by direct conquest, then at least by keeping trade routes open, yes?
...which would make navies a lot less secondary than they used to be - as those are how you keep said routes open, as well as how you shut down the trade/supply routes of everyone else.

niiiiice. Can't wait to try it out.... in like a decade when it actually comes out :(:D

Last edited:
Reactions:
I don't know if the DD was badly phrased or some people have a problem reading properly.

You CAN NOT choose who to export to.

You CAN choose who to import from.

Read again folks ,)
It didn't say anything about importing goods. It just said that it is always the buyer which will provide the convoys.

Reactions:
What about basic supplies like food or ammo? How are they produced? (I've barely played 10h in HoI3 so don't downvote, it's an honest question).

Reactions:
What am I getting in return when I export something to another country? Money? It doesn't say, that I can see.

And in previous versions Germany exported/sold Energy and then used the money to buy rares, steel, oil. What is used now that there is no energy?

Reactions:
No control over who will sell you resources, i truly hope the AI logic will avoid buying from countries close to your enemy bases, or shift their purchase to other countries. So at the start of the war you won't immediately face shortages.

If you lack oil and your convoys are being attacked and need to be replaced they need oil to be built? since they are ships? so basically you need to build them in advance.

Reactions:
What about basic supplies like food or ammo? How are they produced? (I've barely played 10h in HoI3 so don't downvote, it's an honest question).
They are called supplies(at least in HoI3). In HoI4 they are probably produced by civilian factories(but that is just my guess).

Reactions:
Okay, good to know.

sooo :) HI and Thanks :)

1. If there i no Stockpile of ressources, the AI "ships" every day ressources and if u boats kill some of them i lack this ONE DAY on ressources it had delivered?
2. Can i manually change or adapt the Harbor/Traderoute?
3. What was the Reason to let stockpiles go? Its somewhat historical and more realistic to stockpile stuff, i have to say this is the 1st thing i am a little bit sad about.

Reactions:
At what point does the lack of a resource stop productions?
Can alternatives be developed? eq, planes made from wood ( not requiring Aluminum or lowering demand) eq. de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito; different methods for hardening metals (Tungsten and Chromium requirement lowered) or development of synthetic materials (rubber and oil)?

From what I have read over the years the lack of a resource never stopped the productions of war materials; slowed it down or made it more costly or both but never to a dead stop, production was put on hold in favour of more strategic production (subs instead of a battleship) , in fact the lack of a resources spurred the development of alternatives (necessity is the mother of invention). only three resources stopped an army, food, fuel and men. eq. Germany at the end of the war had lots of planes, but no fuel or men to fly them.

Reactions:
At what point does the lack of a resource stop productions?
Can alternatives be developed? eq, planes made from wood ( not requiring Aluminum or lowering demand) eq. de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito; different methods for hardening metals (Tungsten and Chromium requirement lowered) or development of synthetic materials (rubber and oil)?

From what I have read over the years the lack of a resource never stopped the productions of war materials; slowed it down or made it more costly or both but never to a dead stop, production was put on hold in favour of more strategic production (subs instead of a battleship) , in fact the lack of a resources spurred the development of alternatives (necessity is the mother of invention). only three resources stopped an army, food, fuel and men. eq. Germany at the end of the war had lots of planes, but no fuel or men to fly them.
Development of synthetic resources was confirmed last week.

Reactions:
There seem to be some confusion about how things work
1. you can't decide who is exactly buying your stuff (its a free market)
2. you can decide who you buy from, very important because
- trades over longer period of time become stronger and let you trade more (so like a relation boost)
- trading with people across the sea or who may not like you due to political and diplomatic happenings puts a lot of choices on player. Having to use convoys open you up to them being sunk or blockaded and you want to have long term partners.

A lot of design choices in HOI4 are there to combat hindsight. Stockpiles for example serve little purpose if you know for sure war is coming and then you cant really get the player to have to deal with the same issues as leaders did historically. Nobody stockpiled 10 years worth of oil in the real world. people built up their military from the start, not all in one go later when they had the resources. HOI4 ships you into stockpiling equipment isntead which is much more realistic compared to HOI3 and the choices put to the player much more similar to what historical leaders had to work with rather than being gamey (as I think a lot of hoi3 choices was).

By not having a generic precious metals rather than specifics like in HOI4 we can create interesting (and realistic) strategic gameplay where many areas become important to control, not just oil for example.

Why can't we embargo someone we don't like?

There are two answers. From a gameplay standpoint its because, well, why wouldnt everyone just not trade anything to germany at the start then? everyone has perfect hindsight and knows what will happen. Usually in HOI3 this forced house rules on you so it wouldnt be exploited.
From a realism standpoint this is not something a head of state has an easy time with, you need good reasons (if I recall my reading the US was still exporting fuel to japan in small quantities despite its embargo for example). Reasons are there through focus trees and relations. its just a scale now rather than binary for the most part if and how much someone can trade.

One question.
Can we add more resources? :rolleyes:

yes its very moddable

It's maybe the first time I don't agree with the dev' :

1. Why using civilian factories to export resources ? I don't see the link...
2. I don't agree with the point that you can't chose who buy resources from you. So it's impossible to sell resources to another countries as long as he doesn't ask you for trade ? 3. If Britain is at full war with Germany, I can't propose them to sell/give them a lot of resources (if I play USA for example) as long as they don't ask ?

1. its an abstraction, they are treated as consumer goods or what have you being exported (basically non military stuff). Think of it like smaller nations giving up precious resources and in return they get factories they can use to build up their nations .
2. yea, its a more Victoria like market in that sense (some focuses let you set up trade treaties sort of though)
3. I'd imagine they would ask, but your primary job here would be producing different equipment and sending it to them as lend lease

I'm not sure I'm getting this. Could you give a concrete example?
Sure, Brazil has 10 rubber for sale. Both Germany and USA want to buy ALL of it

(reason/value)
Germany has good relations with Brazil: 200
Germany is fascist, Brazil is democratic: -50
Germany has been trading for a year already: +10
Total: 160

USA has ok relations with brazil: 100
USA is democratic, like brazil: +50
Brazil is under influence from monroe doctrine: +10
Total: 160

they have the same end value, so end up being allowed to buy 50% of the exports. if there was no competition and only one buyer they could buy 100%, but with this particular competition case they are guaranteed 50% at least.

Make sense? (also basically what Poh said above)

Reactions:
There is no interaction with coal? Coal was huge back then as it determined te overall production of the factories, railroads etc.
For Germany it was also a source of Oil (maybe this is integrated?) and it was an important export product.
Did you guys just lave it out because of simplicity?

Screens look good btw!
There is a tech/national focus for synthetic oil. (In some picture i didn't find)

Will tanks/planes/ships need oil to move, or just for production?

Supply DD would be really nice - its important part of the game and it was pretty screwed up in HoI3.

Reactions: