• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So that time of the week again and its time for me to make something up to write about. Today I decided to talk about regions and forts, two new concepts in Crusader Kings II.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

ck2_11.jpg

Next is a gameplay feature you will actually interact a bit more actively in. It's called forts which is an additional type of holding you can build in provinces next to the normal ones and trade posts. Because of this we had to extend the province view with a window you can open and close which will show "extra holding slots" which will contain the trade post and fort slots. The fort can be built anywhere from your own territory even enemy provinces that you have under your control. Their biggest advantage is that they are fortifications that you can build up really fast and very cheaply. The main point of them being to let you build up a region as your march towards a big neighbor which will let you slow down their advance but at the same time let you set up forward positions in the enemy territory.

ck2_12.jpg

They do have some added bonuses though beyond that, for instance in Tribal land where you have the homeland attrition bonus, that bonus will be removed from the province as long as you have a fort there to supply your troops with. There is also a feature for the forts that is too related to the expansion so I can't delve into that any deeper.

And again here's some more random changelogs
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

What's the relationship between a fort and a castle going to be?

If you can have forts in your vassals' lands, how will it affect them (opinion?)?
Thank you! Finally someone asking these questions but me.

Reactions:
The children should still get similiar parts ;) If you have 3 sons and three kingdoms for exemple every son has to get one kingdom. I neversaid you should freely choose.
Something like starring with the current system but then allowing the player to swap holdings between heirs, perhaps with the rule that each swap has result in the younger heir getting equal or more holdings as compared to what he is giving up to the older one and no heir will agree to any trade that results in their top tier title being lowered and any trade which results in a younger heir getting fewer levies or taxes has to be compensated with cash from the main heir. Probably a I'm sure it could be gamed but would provide a reasonable basis to proceed if players did not exploit it too much.

If you can have forts in your vassals' lands, how will it affect them (opinion?)?

I want to see fort commanders decide to switch their loyalties occasionally - perhaps (during a time of peace) fort commanders will pledge their loyalty to the count level ruler of the county if they like them better than their current commander...

I want to see fort commanders decide to switch their loyalties occasionally - perhaps (during a time of peace) fort commanders will pledge their loyalty to the count level ruler of the county if they like them better than their current commander...

Since they are like trade posts, I doubt there were will an actual character ruling them. I do wonder if they get destroyed if the county joins a faction revolt or if they remain with the Count.

Do the forts provide levies? A fully-fledged empire with forts everywhere could basically make a full army with fort levies alone, if they provide some men.

I think the forts shouldn't be buildable just everywhere. And if built, there should be an option to destroy them (like the holdings I talked about in my thread).

Do the forts provide levies? A fully-fledged empire with forts everywhere could basically make a full army with fort levies alone, if they provide some men.

I think the forts shouldn't be buildable just everywhere. And if built, there should be an option to destroy them (like the holdings I talked about in my thread).

From the look of the screenshot they have a fortification level and a garrision, no levy or income. From what Groogy said about them being cheap and quick to build I think they are meant to represent pretty basic forts mainly for use in war like the pre-fabricated wooden castle the Normans brought over with them in 1066. All that has been said about where they can be built is that they can only be built in provinces you control including enemy provinces you have sieged down. I agree we need to know who can build them - can they be built in vassal lands freely by a liege. Groogy did mention they have another ability that is dlc related. Maybe they are going to add the ability to designate Marches and the liege could build them freely there or maybe it will be dependent on laws, like in England you needed the kings permission to build a castle except during The Anarchy.

If sieged down they are destroyed, that was mentioned.

Well, then it seems forts will be useful in long wars, like the HYW or something like that. You would construct a bunch of forts and 'occupy' a part of the country, waiting for enemy to try to get past them.

You sure? I am talking about that two-rings button that an unmarried character has.
It's probably easier to just use the character filters on the character finders. Set it to unmarried females of your religion group, and type in the traits you wants.

It's probably easier to just use the character filters on the character finders. Set it to unmarried females of your religion group, and type in the traits you wants.

I know, I know, it's just that I use that filter to find landless, adult male kinsmen to give land to, and I am too lazy to constantly change the filters to marry every single offspring.

Reactions:
The problem with that is, that it doesn't show you all the possible already, just the closest matches. Limiting that search will yield far less results than you get in the character finder.

And it is not really that hard to change a male to female is it?

the character finder could use some improvement though. Like the option to search for characters who don't have a trait, or to exclude heirs from the search (great dynasty does that but it excludes big landless dynasties too).

Forts are temporary, castles are not.
Forts probably cost a minute amount of gold per month to maintain, whereas castles give you money via taxes.
You can raise levies from castles, but not from forts.

You have to siege any forts in a province before you can siege any castles.

the character finder could use some improvement though. Like the option to search for characters who don't have a trait, or to exclude heirs from the search (great dynasty does that but it excludes big landless dynasties too).

So you want a textbox that is capable of taking a list of arguements to provide you with the exact search results inside a game. Where would you suggest putting all the functional arguements so new players can use this functionality.

Yes it would be nice for some people, but you need to take into account time spent to make something only a handful of people would use and implementation of that.

Reactions:
The ability to save commonly used search criteria in the character finder and easily recall them would be handy.

Reactions:
The problem with that is, that it doesn't show you all the possible already, just the closest matches. Limiting that search will yield far less results than you get in the character finder.

And it is not really that hard to change a male to female is it?

Marrying my sons into my own dynasty? That's wrong, even though the landed kinsmen do that all the time!

So you want a textbox that is capable of taking a list of arguements to provide you with the exact search results inside a game. Where would you suggest putting all the functional arguements so new players can use this functionality.

Yes it would be nice for some people, but you need to take into account time spent to make something only a handful of people would use and implementation of that.
Heir to title could be another yes no dropbox. As for exclude from search you could either have a set letter (probably -) that's used to exclude rather than include or a include/exclude dropdown menu next to the searchbar.
And it's not really that complicated to program once you've got the searchbox already built.

The ability to save commonly used search criteria in the character finder and easily recall them would be handy.
But also a clear function that resets it to defauly. It's so a waste of time to have to restore all those boxes every time you want to search for just a name.

Reactions: