• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So that time of the week again and its time for me to make something up to write about. Today I decided to talk about regions and forts, two new concepts in Crusader Kings II.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

ck2_11.jpg

Next is a gameplay feature you will actually interact a bit more actively in. It's called forts which is an additional type of holding you can build in provinces next to the normal ones and trade posts. Because of this we had to extend the province view with a window you can open and close which will show "extra holding slots" which will contain the trade post and fort slots. The fort can be built anywhere from your own territory even enemy provinces that you have under your control. Their biggest advantage is that they are fortifications that you can build up really fast and very cheaply. The main point of them being to let you build up a region as your march towards a big neighbor which will let you slow down their advance but at the same time let you set up forward positions in the enemy territory.

ck2_12.jpg

They do have some added bonuses though beyond that, for instance in Tribal land where you have the homeland attrition bonus, that bonus will be removed from the province as long as you have a fort there to supply your troops with. There is also a feature for the forts that is too related to the expansion so I can't delve into that any deeper.

And again here's some more random changelogs
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

If you are doing things like making regions where Tigers and other animals can be (which is very interesting), then don't forget to look at some historical animal range maps, because these things have changed a lot from the Middle Ages.

For instance these are maps for Tigers: (original range in Yellow, present range in Green)

Tiger_map.jpg

This is for the Caspian or Persian Tiger, (also visible in the larger map in the top right). Don't forget about them.

Panthera_tigris_virgata_dis.png

Reactions:
Historically if almost every raiding party gets wiped out to the last man for decades, they wouldn't go there to raid.

That's the problem. There is no real consequence for the AI losing their troops over and over.
Well I asusme the raids we see are only the major ones.

If you are doing things like making regions where Tigers and other animals can be (which is very interesting), then don't forget to look at some historical animal range maps, because these things have changed a lot from the Middle Ages.

For instance these are maps for Tigers: (original range in Yellow, present range in Green)

Tiger_map.jpg

This is for the Caspian or Persian Tiger, (also visible in the larger map in the top right). Don't forget about them.

Panthera_tigris_virgata_dis.png
Historic range when? But yeah if it fits the period I think it'd be awesome with tigers in caucasus.

... What would help me if I could just type in "strong genius lustful" into the search bar of the character finder (like in the normal one) and it would list for me the brides that have those traits...

Already the case. You can do so.
You might currently use an older patch and thus get the impression that it isn't.

Reactions:
From the first version I was saying about separation de jure territories and regions, decided to stop doing it last year when got 0 responses.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...and-related-stuff-rework-suggestation.752584/

Glad you are getting closer and closer to it. Now we just need to get rid of these ridiculous Wendish Empires since we got regions and a possibility to upgrade a county to an empire.

Hope that someday there won't be de jure duchies is strong again.

I think the most important question is one that hasn't been asked yet. The change log started two weeks ago at ~620 lines. It's now at ~700. There have been 37 snippets released, plus about 9 major additions (that have gotten described in more detail). If we assume that those get an average of about 5 changelog lines each, then we're at about 80 changelog lines having been shown so far. Which means they've been continued making changes as fast as they release info about them. If they keep that up, they can continue postponing the DLC launch date forever. Which will keep the forum on tenterhooks, forever. So is this all a ploy to keep us distracted? Is @Groogy simply toying with us? Or are they doing something more devious? What are the puppet masters planning??

Reactions:
If you are interested you can see the changelog for the whole game since v1.02b in your crusader kings folder (cunningly hidden as a file called changelog).

It includes such things as:
- Merchant Republic gameplay (Duke or higher tier Republics with a coastal capital)
and
- William 'Adelin' now has the correct deathdate
(both from 1.09)

I'd say one of those things required a lot more time than the other.

Reactions:
When I read "forts", I was really hoping it was a way to deal with non stop raiding.
That's an interesting thought. Should forts give 100% looting protection until they're destroyed? At the very least they will give a boost to the fort level protection and probably have to be sieged before cities and temples in republics and theocracies.

Reactions:
100% looting protection would make tribals unplayable looting is their only income.

Reactions:
100% looting protection would make tribals unplayable looting is their only income.

Silence thy lips thou unbaptized, unwashed heathen!

But I'm sure there's more to it than that, and anyway looting pagans isn't really a threat late game anyway

Silence thy lips thou unbaptized, unwashed heathen!

But I'm sure there's more to it than that, and anyway looting pagans isn't really a threat late game anyway
Honestly I wouldn't say they're much of a threat anywhere but the brittish isles at any time. Most continental powers have a few inland provinces.

And they should be a threat on the brittish isles. The only problem is that the brittish never really start forming up kingdoms and repelling them, mainly because the norse that settles on the islands don't convert culture and religion to the local one like they did in real life.

There needs to be a norse needs to be more likely to adopt local cultures instead of trying to convert them.

Oh well and the fact that the vikings work as centralised nations kind of screws things up. If a norse ruler as a 'vassal' of a norse king took a bit of brittain only his norse title would be a vassal under the norse king not his brittish title.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't say they're much of a threat anywhere but the brittish isles at any time. Most continental powers have a few inland provinces.

And they should be a threat on the brittish isles. The only problem is that the brittish never really start forming up kingdoms and repelling them, mainly because the norse that settles on the islands don't convert culture and religion to the local one like they did in real life.

There needs to be a norse needs to be more likely to adopt local cultures instead of trying to convert them.

Oh well and the fact that the vikings work as centralised nations kind of screws things up. If a norse ruler as a 'vassal' of a norse king took a bit of brittain only his norse title would be a vassal under the norse king not his brittish title.

Between my Baltic and Black Sea coastlines and 4 major rivers they can attack most of the provinces in my mainly inland Empire.
Still I agree total protection against raiding would be OP. If a fort reduces the amount they can loot without sieging and helps towards blocking major river travel for raiders I'll be satisfied.

Between my Baltic and Black Sea coastlines and 4 major rivers they can attack most of the provinces in my mainly inland Empire.
Still I agree total protection against raiding would be OP. If a fort reduces the amount they can loot without sieging and helps towards blocking major river travel for raiders I'll be satisfied.
I'd rather it help with the burnign down holdings when there are big raids. I usually don't find it meainful to act on mere pillagers (it almosts costs as much to raise your army as to let them pillage). But the ones that siege holdings you have to acts on.

Well, total protection probably wouldn't be that over powered, since it just means that they have to siege the fort down first, which would destroy it. I doubt that the Europeans are going to be constantly rebuilding forts in every single province after every war, that would probably be really expensive.

Well, total protection probably wouldn't be that over powered, since it just means that they have to siege the fort down first, which would destroy it. I doubt that the Europeans are going to be constantly rebuilding forts in every single province after every war, that would probably be really expensive.
When you put it like that it makes me wonder if the AI could even handle it.

Yeah except unless the forts are made out of paper you'll drive of any raider before they siege it down.