Talking Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 2: Trade Improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Merchants republics are among the theoretically really strong nations in the game. They have a extra merchant (giving them not only the merchant but a higher naval force limit), that have extra trade efficiency and on top of that a bonus to trade steering. Add to that the, frankly, a little bit OP ability to elect rulers. Yet you rarely see nations like Venice or the Hansa grow to conquer the world. One reason for this is their geographical weakness, especially the Hansa lacks strategic depth. Then add that to what I mentioned earlier, the trade republics are kind of dangerous. This, first order of business for Denmark - take out the Hansa and for Austria - take out Venice. So we started thinking, what kind of extra thing can we add to an expansion that adds an extra layer to the Merchant Republics.

This is interesting coming from EU4 devs considering that the forum consensus is that republics suck really, really badly in comparison to monarchies. Sure, Republics can choose leaders, but Monarchies have better government bonuses, legitimacy gives better bonuses than republican tradition, it is far easier to gain legitimacy than it is republican tradition, republics have to pay more for stab and republics get horrible events that really cripple them. To top it off, the starting merchant republics have terrible, terrible NIs. Put all those together and theres very good reason why theres no incentive or reason to go republic at all. Also, as others have said, theres really nothing to spend money on other than going obscenely over your force limits, which really limits the 'strategy' portion of the game. Infact, im not even sure what the point of this expansion is going to be considering that money really does not have much use in the metagame at the moment due to your primary limitations being monarch points, and its even more insane that the large numbers of new mechanics that are being added to the game are all dependant on monarch points which are already the scarcest resource while money still has no decent sinks aside from moar troops.

I think an earlier poster had it right, pac; it will be 50 trade power per 100% TE.
Ah, okay — that does sound a lot more reasonable! :D

This is interesting coming from EU4 devs considering that the forum consensus is that republics suck really, really badly in comparison to monarchies. Sure, Republics can choose leaders, but Monarchies have better government bonuses, legitimacy gives better bonuses than republican tradition, republics have to pay more for stab and republics get horrible events that really cripple them. To top it off, the starting merchant republics have terrible, terrible NIs. Put all those together and theres very good reason why theres no incentive or reason to go republic at all. Also, as others have said, theres really nothing to spend money on other than going obscenely over your force limits, which really limits the 'strategy' portion of the game. Infact, im not even sure what the point of this expansion is going to be considering that money really does not have much use in the metagame at the moment due to your primary limitations being monarch points, and its even more insane that the large numbers of new mechanics that are being added to the game are all dependant on monarch points which are already the scarcest resource while money still has no decent sinks aside from moar troops.

Maybe if there were 50 levels of building development :D

I want my tall empire >:|

Have those river crossing icons always been there?

Those are not actually river crossings...

I think he means the Trade power bonus icon but this reminds me, please please please add a river crossing indicator for troops !

It is currently flat out IMPOSSIBLE to judge whether an attacker will get river crossing penalty or not. No mechanic exists at all that shows the same and makes it impossible to judge where an attacker should attack from.

One of the interesting little extra things that comes with this expansion is that when you play as Riga or Livonia, you can form courland, complete with new unique ideas. One of the many good ideas that float around on the forums that sometimes makes it into the game.
With an achievement for forming it and getting its colonies? :3

This is interesting coming from EU4 devs considering that the forum consensus is that republics suck really, really badly in comparison to monarchies. Sure, Republics can choose leaders, but Monarchies have better government bonuses, legitimacy gives better bonuses than republican tradition, it is far easier to gain legitimacy than it is republican tradition, republics have to pay more for stab and republics get horrible events that really cripple them. To top it off, the starting merchant republics have terrible, terrible NIs. Put all those together and theres very good reason why theres no incentive or reason to go republic at all. Also, as others have said, theres really nothing to spend money on other than going obscenely over your force limits, which really limits the 'strategy' portion of the game. Infact, im not even sure what the point of this expansion is going to be considering that money really does not have much use in the metagame at the moment due to your primary limitations being monarch points, and its even more insane that the large numbers of new mechanics that are being added to the game are all dependant on monarch points which are already the scarcest resource while money still has no decent sinks aside from moar troops.

Forum consensus, hah! Some players who doesnt realize the full potential of republics who can custom choose their strong points?

Republics are awesome, if you take advantage of their strengths. Wich a few quite vocal forum posters cannot think of how to do.

Example, how many people have bothered to check if non-accepted non-culture-group provinces owned by a republic gets a modifier negating some of their penalties? How many provinces of a republican superpower is non-accepted culture...?

Forum consensus, hah! Some players who doesnt realize the full potential of republics who can custom choose their strong points?

Republics are awesome, if you take advantage of their strengths. Wich a few quite vocal forum posters cannot think of how to do.

Even those whom think that Republics are awesome concede that monarchies are still better.

Example, how many people have bothered to check if non-accepted non-culture-group provinces owned by a republic gets a modifier negating some of their penalties? How many provinces of a republican superpower is non-accepted culture...?

By the time you reach superpower status you have more manpower and money than you can possibly spend, rendering the culture group penalty completely pointless. As I said, the main limitations of any empire in EU4 is monarch points and Republics do not have any significant monarch point advantage over Monarchies. Given, previously republics with +1 Yearly republican tradition gain in the NIs were able to obtain superior monarch points to monarchies but that was nerfed to +0.5 which has enormously closed the gap and on top of that NIs with Republican Tradition tend to be really crappy aside from the (now nerfed) republican tradition bonus.

Even assuming the money from Republics let you build more troops (since thats the only thing you can spend money on), it comes nowhere close to offsetting the +10% discipline that monarchies get.

Last edited:
Gonna be honest, I think the Canals are relics from Victoria 2 code. I don't see how they could justify putting in decisions to create the Suez, Kiel, and Panama Canals.

Are there any plans about reintroducing a system similar to trade leagues and trade rights of EUIII? It would need improvements, it was too easy to dominate world trade, but I liked how it was forcing to play a more peaceful game, where you had to keep the status quo rather than the usual conquest game, ie having too many alliances and being involved in wars was mostly good at breaking appart your trade league.

Even those whom think that Republics are awesome concede that monarchies are still better.

Not really sure about that. It´s a trade off.

The only REAL advantage monarchies have are their better late and mid game governments, above all Absolute Monarchy. Apart from that, if I could choose between Republic or Monarchy I´d say both are viable.

Another question - any other change to trade goods? Coffee too good, while cotton and tobacco are totally useless...

Last edited:
The only REAL advantage monarchies have are their better late and mid game governments, above all Absolute Monarchy. Apart from that, if I could choose between Republic or Monarchy I´d say both are viable.

The real advantage monarchies have are the following:
- Cheap stab
- Generally higher MP on average, 4-1-1 would be a below average monarch
- No Republic events, which generally kick you in the balls
- Better NIs, It seems like all the starting Republics tend to have mediocre or just downright crappy NIs. All of the best NIs in the game belong to monarchies.

I would say out of the above, its the obnoxious stab cost increases that kill republics. Even if you consistantly elect administrative leaders you will still be spending an enormous amount of admin on stab, and while this would normally be fine due to republics not getting stab lost on leader death, republic events often have a stabhit as one of the options which sucks.